PDA

View Full Version : Breaks between sets in the Sahara tent...

Brochella
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
...should be done away with completely. Such a waste of time that could potentially be filled with 2 (maybe 3, if they're short) more DJ sets. This typically applies to breaks between live sets, but there was also, for example, a 15 minute break between Kaskade and David Guetta last year that didn't really need to be there. Many European festivals have recognized this and have a DJ spin off to the side (or front and center, doesn't really matter) while larger live rigs are set up (for instance, Magda played an entire set while they set up Richie Hawtin's immense Plastikman show at the Sonar festival in Barcelona).

I guess the main argument against this is that these breaks build anticipation for particularly hyped live acts, but that's not as much of an issue for me personally. I'd rather get my bang for my buck, especially if it means being able to see a good DJ play who wouldn't be there otherwise.

What do you guys think? Seems like a no-brainer to me. No more repetitions of times like in 2008 when people waited in irritated silence for almost an hour for Fatboy Slim to get going.

FreshLaundry
10-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Fair enough, however I can see even more tension and anxiety building for these interim DJs to shut up and let the major acts play. At HARD summer this felt like the case as the few interim DJs seemed to just want to fit their two cents in despite the fact that no one wanted to hear them, and the real DJs were waiting to play. If anything they have these inbetween DJs play but I think some silence and buildup is a good preface to say a headling sahara act.

Mr. Porter
10-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Yep at edc there were no breaks just smooth transitions from one artist to the next

Wheres the beef?
10-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Having one dj mix into another is okay. But no need to have some third person play between the billed acts. With 4-5 other stages you can find something else if absolutely MUST hear music every minute.

Aurgasm
10-07-2010, 06:51 PM
everyone pees...

I think there's a children's book.

Also helps the fluctuation of socal turdburglars in and out.

I'm pro breaks.

Brochella
10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
^^ good points

Having one dj mix into another is okay. But no need to have some third person play between the billed acts. With 4-5 other stages you can find something else if absolutely MUST hear music every minute.

For me, it's not so much the issue of having music going the entire time. It's having a larger pool of talent to choose from.

WhyTheLongFace
10-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Without breaks Globurption or w/e it was called wouldnt have happen

GuyInTucson
10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Back when I went from 01-03, there was hardly ever a break between sets unless a live act performed. I agree too much time is wasted between sets now, but everyone wants their own little visual/light set up now so it makes it virtually impossible to do it seemlessly.

bobchella
10-08-2010, 10:05 AM
i'm down with much shorter transitions or even mixing between sets over having a seperate DJ playing during all the set changes

Distorted_Jungle
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I just want break beats. Uberzone v Bassbin Twins will do, thank you.

DFrank
10-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm down for a DJ in between early acts but I think 3-5 minutes of silence for bigger Sahara acts are necessary. A smooth transition wouldnt allow for some sweet Intros.

betao
10-08-2010, 08:34 PM
the break can help build anticipation for the next act.

digitaldragon03
10-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I like the breaks because of said anticipation and because whoever is in charge of the songs played between sets kicks ass. Its always something non EDM, but danceable like "Superstition".

Who remembers this gem of a moment?

RTGXM9x6Ny0

Vic Viper
10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
breaks for the non-DJ acts are a great idea for all the reasons already given.

ELECtROjan
10-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep at edc there were no breaks just smooth transitions from one artist to the next

Thats bc most of the djs at EDC use the same equipment (CDJ2000's & DJM800 +/- a laptop) and dont bring any extra visual equipment....the one main exception was Deadmau5 who had a 15min changeover for obvious reasons

beeerplease
10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I need water. Therefore I am PRO breaks.

Wheres the beef?
10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I like the breaks because of said anticipation and because whoever is in charge of the songs played between sets kicks ass. Its always something non EDM, but danceable like "Superstition".

RTGXM9x6Ny0

What's that? The MIDI version? :nono

GuyInTucson
10-12-2010, 09:24 AM

co-sign

NachoCat
10-12-2010, 09:53 AM

I Fully support this

Also. I like the breaks inbetween sets. Like you guys said builds the anticipation

rasooli
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I think this is a non issue....who gives a fuck. Its fine how it currently is.

tmac
10-12-2010, 09:50 PM
die antwoord in btwn every set!

also if we are getting breaks ill take tom real vs the rogue element

menikmati
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I personally like the hype building for the larger acts. It was great before Daft Punk, Fatboy Slim, Orbital and Plastikman for instance.

BROKENDOLL
10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Considering we spent all our time in the Sahara last year, that would have made for a wicked non-stop workout. And when you say short sets in between main acts, how short are you talking? Because quite honestly, I'd rather they gave the extra time to the headliners, than take a chance at cutting their sets even shorter. Maybe you could head over to the Do Lab for that break dancing you want to do and then return?

koryp
10-12-2010, 10:44 PM

RTGXM9x6Ny0

I took the needle off the record to listen to this and was not let down. Goosebumps man! I miss the Sahara. Fun Times.

I personally like the hype building for the larger acts.

QFT^^^^

Considering we spent all our time in the Sahara last year, that would have made for a wicked non-stop workout. And when you say short sets in between main acts, how short are you talking? Because quite honestly, I'd rather they gave the extra time to the headliners, than take a chance at cutting their sets even shorter. Maybe you could head over to the Do Lab for that break dancing you want to do and then return?

Longer sets would be my preference. Back at some past EDM shows we'd have the ending DJ come back out and spin a few tracks off to the side sans the rest of his show to keep it going while the next act set up, then transition into the next artist. It does require them to be less about thier ego and more about building up the show.