PDA

View Full Version : Are Phoenix Headliners The Next Time They Play At Coachella?

Mr. Porter
09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I think they are. Their American fanbase has exponentially grown over the past couple of years plus their next album will have to meet lofty expectations from critics and fans alike. I heard that they're taking a break after this relentless touring to focus on the next record

psycobetabuckdown
09-28-2010, 08:40 PM
If they played this year I think they'd be the third name on any given day. After another successful album, I wouldn't count them out as headliners. Remember their Lollapalooza headlining gig is probably equivalent to a second name at Coachella - like Atoms for Peace and Faith No More for example.

kneuller
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I kind of agree second line tops. If their next album has as many singles as Wolfgang did then I can maybe see them headlining, but thatd have to be one hell of a follow up

amyzzz
09-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Give em another year and another great album and maybe.

FreshLaundry
09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Given that it usually takes them about three years for a new album, that should be enough build up and anticipation for their next one. and if it's as good as wolfgang they'll have a headlining spot.

fiopadp7791
09-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Given that it usually takes them about three years for a new album, that should be enough build up and anticipation for their next one. and if it's as good as wolfgang they'll have a headlining spot.

I think it will be at least 3 years before they release another album. All they've done is tour non-stop for pretty much 2 years. I bet they just chill out for a year before even thinking about getting back together to do another album.

But no... not quite headlining status. Something doesn't seem right say if... well... maybe... if you think about it. Are they really all that less popular than... Gorillaz?

DFrank
09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
I could actually see them taking less than 3 years with all the momentum they have from Wolfgang and possibly hitting up the studio soon.

I'm not too sure about headliners though...this is the first album really to hit the U.S.

shoegazer76
09-30-2010, 12:21 AM
FUCK (to the) NO!!!!

microcuts
09-30-2010, 10:02 AM
If everyone's managed to convince themselves that Arcade Fire are headliners, then so are Phoenix.

sbessiso
09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
If everyone's managed to convince themselves that Arcade Fire are headliners, then so are Phoenix.

:pulse

Gribbz
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/hurr_train.jpg

dorkfish
09-30-2010, 10:19 AM
I would bet money on Phoenix's next album bombing worse than MGMT's latest did.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I would bet money that Brad is right.

unit300021
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I think it will be at least 3 years before they release another album. All they've done is tour non-stop for pretty much 2 years. I bet they just chill out for a year before even thinking about getting back together to do another album.

I'm positive that a new album will come out before 3 years. During their set at Outside Lands the guy said something along to the lines of "We wont be back in SF for awhile we are going to take some time off to record a new album"

To answer the question yes I think they will headline. A weak headliner yes but they will be.

psycobetabuckdown
09-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Not comparable to AF. I would've said so a year ago, but once you've sold out two shows at MSG and had a #1 album the debate kinda goes out the window.

They've also met the criteria I've always had of at least 3 radio hits (Rebellion, Wake Up, Ready to Start).

Phoenix can sell out 3,000 person venues maybe, and have two hits that I know of, so they're coming up but not quite AF level.

El.C.Dub
09-30-2010, 06:25 PM
should have headlined this year. they wont have this hype/momentum 3 or 4 years from now

El.C.Dub
09-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Not comparable to AF. I would've said so a year ago, but once you've sold out two shows at MSG and had a #1 album the debate kinda goes out the window.

They've also met the criteria I've always had of at least 3 radio hits (Rebellion, Wake Up, Ready to Start).

Phoenix can sell out 3,000 person venues maybe, and have two hits that I know of, so they're coming up but not quite AF level.

i just saw phoenix at a sold out hollywood bowl. highly doubt that AF could do that (maybe in hipster LA)

phoenix is way bigger than AF, even stateside.

DFrank
09-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Eh, no way. I dont see them changing their music path as MGMT did for their 2nd album. They found a good niche and they're here to stay for a while.

rage patton
09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
i just saw phoenix at a sold out hollywood bowl. highly doubt that AF could do that (maybe in hipster LA)

phoenix is way bigger than AF, even stateside.

Phoenix also had Grizzly Bear and Girls with them.

You are nuts if you think Phoenix are bigger than Arcade Fire.

rasooli
09-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Who gives a fuck.....phoenix fucking sucks.

sbessiso
09-30-2010, 07:05 PM

I dont know, they dont seem like the type that would take acid and go surfing

MissingPerson
09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Wait, whoa, whatever about Arcade Fire, are Phoenix really bigger than Grizzly Bear in your neck of the woods?!?!

Gribbz
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately.

MissingPerson
09-30-2010, 07:27 PM
I think I might have expressed my surprise about Phoenix' American status before, but it does sort of blow my mind.

Gribbz
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I think I might have expressed my surprise about Phoenix' American status before, but it does sort of blow my mind.

They've had a few radio hits... lyrics are pretty meh. I've seen them live a couple of times, and they're fun... but headliners they are not. Especially over Arcade Fire.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Phoenix are way more popular than Arcade Fire, in general, at least right now. You guys need to get out and talk to "regular" people more often. They'll tell you what's up.

rage patton
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Two days ago in Vancouver, Arcade Fire played to an almost sold out 11,000 person stadium. Four days ago in Vancouver, Phoenix played to a definitely not sold out 7,000 warehouse.

As far as Vancouver goes... Phoenix are definitely popular, but nowhear near as popular as Arcade Fire.

rasooli
09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
In terms of music quality:

ARCADE FIRE >> Grizzly Bear >>>>>>>>>> Coldplay >>>>Vampire Weekend> mgmt >> PHOENIX > The Killers

aka Arcade Fire is WAY better than Phoenix.

Phoenix is terrible....and they'll NEVER headline Coachella.

crazzz2007
09-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Two days ago in Vancouver, Arcade Fire played to an almost sold out 11,000 person stadium. Four days ago in Vancouver, Phoenix played to a definitely not sold out 7,000 warehouse.

As far as Vancouver goes... Phoenix are definitely popular, but nowhear near as popular as Arcade Fire.

And if both bands played an 11,000 person stadium in Paris, Phoenix would sell out and Arcade Fire wouldn't. So what's your point?

Phantasma Del Mar
09-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Coachella isn't in Paris.

heart cooks brain
09-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Nor is it in Canada

rage patton
09-30-2010, 09:54 PM
But Vancouver is a 21 hour drive from Indio, while Paris is... well, much further than a 21 hour drive.

I am not saying Phoenix aren't big. If their next album is a success, I could easily see them headlining Coachella. However, right now, Phoenix could not headline Coachella. While Arcade Fire are easily big enough to headline Coachella right now.

Mr. Porter
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
But Vancouver is a 21 hour drive from Indio, while Paris is... well, much further than a 21 hour drive.

I am not saying Phoenix aren't big. If their next album is a success, I could easily see them headlining Coachella. However, right now, Phoenix could not headline Coachella. While Arcade Fire are easily big enough to headline Coachella right now.
exactly

unit300021
09-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Exactly, it's about next time, not right now. Come 2012/2013 with a new album remotely as successful as Wolfgang they have no choice but to headline. That being said though this year if coachella was later on in the summer the would have been second sub compared to first name on the 3rd line.

menikmati
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
This thread is a fucking joke.

Boourns
10-01-2010, 12:01 AM

I don't get it, either.

MissingPerson
10-01-2010, 03:25 AM
I like Phoenix, I just think it's funny how different their profile is here and in the US, even in this internet age of ours. I mean, I know of them largely through this board, but evidently they're pretty much mainstream over there.

MissingPerson
10-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Also, not that it really matters, but for the record - Arcade Fire probably would sell out an 11,000 person venue in Paris, fairly comfortably.

Maybe not as quickly as Phoenix, but still. Bear in mind, Arcade Fire is a semi-Francophone band; they are arguably more mainstream in France than they are in the US. They headlined Rock En Seine earlier this year, and the venue they're playing in Marseille in November holds 13,000. And Paris is like the Hipster mothership.

sbessiso
10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
and I thought phoenix were actually more popular here than in their native France. I like Phoenix, i think theyre a terrific band especially live but this is a dumb question. they only have ONE popular album here

heart cooks brain
10-01-2010, 07:43 AM
as far as a lot of their fans know, they only have one album period. I just told a friend of mine who saw them at Coachella, and again last week in San DIego they had more than one album, and she argued with me. Motherfuckers need to pay attention

liquidsnake28
10-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Come 2012/2013 with a new album remotely as successful as Wolfgang they have no choice but to headline.

Wow. I don't even know what to say to this.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-01-2010, 08:29 AM
And Paris is like the Hipster mothership.

I lol'd

Still-ill
10-01-2010, 08:33 AM
And Paris is like the Hipster mothership.

hahaha

unit300021
10-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Wow. I don't even know what to say to this.

I don't get it, with the exception of Coachella they were a sub at every other festival they played at. As long as they release a new album while they have this momentum why wouldn't they? They would be considered the weak headliner though.

crazzz2007
10-01-2010, 01:33 PM

It isn't in Vancouver either. Are you retarded?

MissingPerson
10-01-2010, 05:34 PM
One thing that sort of vagely relates to Phoenix, Arcade Fire, band recognition and Paris is the Blogotheque video of them playing next to the Eiffel Tower. I daresay most of y'all have seen it, but I think it's cute enough to repost, frankly.

io_pXLtY0R0

Gribbz
10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
One thing that sort of vagely relates to Phoenix, Arcade Fire, band recognition and Paris is the Blogotheque video of them playing next to the Eiffel Tower. I daresay most of y'all have seen it, but I think it's cute enough to repost, frankly.

io_pXLtY0R0

Great video. I love the newly wed couple at the end.

MissingPerson
10-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I love that the dodgy souvenir dude turns out to be the real Phoenix fan in the crowd.

Gribbz
10-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Are there any good American takeaway shows? There has to be...

The only other takeaway show I've seen is the Beirut one... which is amazing.

MissingPerson
10-01-2010, 06:32 PM
The Takeaway Show guys are Parisians, so they generally record when bands are in town, although they've started going further afield of late. The famous one is Arcade Fire in an elevator; the original Takeaway Show idea came from an AF show that the guys were at, which spilled out of the venue and turned into a sort of marching band parade down the street. The guys ended up hitting it off with Arcade Fire, so most of the bands involved initially are part of their wider family one way or the other.

Otherwise, I'm fond of the Owen Pallett running around:

oBf10Zs0vhw

And Land of Talk up a tree:

QAQ7rb36-_A

And the Sigur Ros one is amazing more or less without a gimmick:
Z3uQl-8ywKE

dorkfish
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Eh, no way. I dont see them changing their music path as MGMT did for their 2nd album. They found a good niche and they're here to stay for a while.
I don't see them changing their style of music. I see them following up with a terrible album within their style.

Fig Neutron
10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I've never heard Arcade Fire on the radio. Lisztomania and 1901 both get played on the radio. I never know who wins king of the hipsters or mid-level mainstream.

MissingPerson
10-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh, hey, the rest of their Takeaway Show stuff:

lfQbB0xeao8

Fig Neutron
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
thanks I hadn't watched that one yet

PJandBompton
10-02-2010, 04:57 AM
you can't use Phoenix selling out the Bowl as a marker of where they are. there were plenty of tickets at a MUCH smaller venue here in SD...

If AF would have played the Bowl instead of the shrine this year, I would imagine a quick sell out, and i can't imagine if they had Grizzly Bear and Girls opening...

Gribbz
10-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I've never heard Arcade Fire on the radio. Lisztomania and 1901 both get played on the radio. I never know who wins king of the hipsters or mid-level mainstream.

Papa Roach gets more radio play than Radiohead in a lot of places. Not the right measuring stick.

heart cooks brain
10-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Arcade Fire is getting decent radio play in Detroit, and they've never even played a damn show here.

rage patton
10-02-2010, 11:24 AM
It isn't in Vancouver either. Are you retarded?

You should have probably taken the time to read the posts on this page before you posted this comment.

microcuts
10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
PHOENIX: 1901 - GOLD SINGLE CERTIFICATION (3/10/2010)
PHOENIX: WOLFGANG AMADEUS PHOENIX - GOLD ALBUM CERTIFICATION (9/10/2010)

Just sayin.

Gribbz
10-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Huh? A lot of bands have gold records... platinum even.

microcuts
10-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Huh? A lot of bands have gold records... platinum even.

Yeah, like every band who's ever headlined Coachella.

Gribbz
10-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah, like every band who's ever headlined Coachella.

Well, just because your album goes gold/platinum that doesn't automatically upgrade you to headliner.

microcuts
10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Well, just because your album goes gold/platinum that doesn't automatically upgrade you to headliner.

This is true. But the numbers don't lie and people used to equally question Muse or even The Killers' ability to headline. You can probably put me down on record that Phoenix will be headlining in 2012.

thefrush
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
You can probably put me down on record that Phoenix will be headlining in 2012.

Thanks for that highly definitive claim.

:p

Chromezeppelin
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
didn't arcade fire sell out the hollywood bowl like 2 years ago? no one in LA even knew who phoenix was 2 years ago. most of their fans are bandwagon fans who only know singles from the most recent ultra radio friendly album. they're like the KOL of europe

ficklecycle
10-12-2010, 01:58 PM
didn't arcade fire sell out the hollywood bowl like 2 years ago? no one in LA even knew who phoenix was 2 years ago. most of their fans are bandwagon fans who only know singles from the most recent ultra radio friendly album. they're like the KOL of europe

Except they're actually good.

oftheheartofthesoul
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
IMO, headlining Coachella is a combination of commercial success, name recognition and credibility. Every Coachella headliner so far (even JJ, to a more lenient extent on the credibility side) has earned their place under those grounds.

Phoenix paces well with sales and are obviously respected, but they aren't quite famous enough to headline...yet. In four months, though, anything can happen.

Mr. Dylanja
10-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Allow me to put and end to this thread:

NO, they're not.

rasooli
10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
^

thank you.

WhyTheLongFace
10-12-2010, 10:27 PM
This is a silly question.

1) No one knows when the next time they'll play
2) No one knows what success they will have when the time comes

But if they're on the lineup this year (which I highly doubt) they will most certainly NOT headline

Mr. Porter
10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Phoenix drew a bigger crowd than Jigga

...that's ether

Chromezeppelin
10-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Except they're actually good.

haha fair enough. not to thread jack into a KOL thread but seriously that band is neither as good or as bad as people say. they're an alright band that somehow became massive. happens all the time

Phoenix is more legit though, no doubt

faxman75
10-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I was wondering where i would be able to discuss every over rated band in America. Here it is!

What do you guys think of Matt and Kim?!

braundiggity
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Arcade Fire sold out the Bowl on a co-headlining tour with LCD Soundsystem. Phoenix sold out the Bowl this year with Grizzly Bear opening. Vampire Weekend sold out the Bowl this year with Beach House opening. The latter two did so despite also playing Coachella earlier this year.

The Hollywood Bowl is a 17,000+ seat venue -- comparable to most arenas (a couple thousand shy of MSG). If you can sell out a venue that big in LA, you can probably headline Coachella (with the release of another, at-least-as-good album). Doesn't matter if they weren't that big two years ago. They are now.

Sublime
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Obviously the answer is hell no. I sure hope the Arcade Fire uproar/nonsense dies down before they set the line-up and make them headliners.

Chromezeppelin
10-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Arcade Fire sold out the Bowl on a co-headlining tour with LCD Soundsystem. Phoenix sold out the Bowl this year with Grizzly Bear opening. Vampire Weekend sold out the Bowl this year with Beach House opening. The latter two did so despite also playing Coachella earlier this year.

The Hollywood Bowl is a 17,000+ seat venue -- comparable to most arenas (a couple thousand shy of MSG). If you can sell out a venue that big in LA, you can probably headline Coachella (with the release of another, at-least-as-good album). Doesn't matter if they weren't that big two years ago. They are now.

did vampire weekend really sell it out? it must have happened at the last minute because i remember checking several times as it got close and tickets in the first promenade kept popping up

sandra85
10-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I'd say no, but I also didn't think Jack Johnson would be a headliner. During the week leading up to that Coachella, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that someone else would grab that crown. So there goes my thoughts' value.

grannock
10-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Nailed it on the first page.

rasooli
10-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Nailed it on the first page.

amen.

ng123
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM

i will quote u on this..thank u for speaking the truth

Mr. Dylanja
10-20-2010, 10:46 PM

NO, they're not.

I take this all back, if they have robots with them they're headliner material.

rage patton
10-20-2010, 10:51 PM
No, they are not headliner material right now. If their next album is as successfull as this one, then yes. They could probably headline Coachella. There. Done.

/Thread.

Chromezeppelin
10-21-2010, 09:31 AM
i will quote u on this..thank u for speaking the truth

my pleasure

Sushov23
10-22-2010, 12:26 AM
No, they are not headliner material right now. If their next album is as successfull as this one, then yes. They could probably headline Coachella. There. Done.

/Thread.

Phoenix will have the most highly anticipated album of the year, whenever they wind up releasing said album. Buzz, plus staying away the rest of this year, and all of 2011, would put them in the prime position to headline Coachella 2012, or 2013.

Mr. Porter
10-22-2010, 09:31 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if their score for Somewhere is nominated for an academy award so they might have oscar credentials as well...okay maybe i'm reaching a bit i haven't even seen the film

Danny
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Doubt it, obvs im not that aware of the american market but i still cant see it.

Hopefully if Daft Punk headline then they'll come on for the encore ;)

microcuts
01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
So it happened. A year later than I thought it would, but it happened.

Miroir Noir
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Earned it.

Lithium
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Greatest thread bump ever. The forum never lies

nathanfairchild
01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
oh well. saturday is so stacked anyways so this is kind of a relief.

myfirstcoachella
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
how has that happened? get ready for a silent crowd all waiting for lisztomania

really underwhelmed
no best coast, wavves, beach fossils, my bloody valentine, jesus and mary chain, crystal castles and well a whle host of people...

and no saturday headliner... should have just bumped blur over

Courtney
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM

NO, they're not.

This was a fun read. HI DYLAN.

JayXMonsta
01-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Lol this thread..

kneuller
01-25-2013, 05:41 AM
I take this all back, if they have robots with them they're headliner material.

Still holding out for this to be a possibility.

BlakeG
01-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Phoenix is terrible....and they'll NEVER headline Coachella.

welp

christheshark
01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Alot of people said the same thing about the black keys... How it's too early for them

chrismowgli
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
great thread bump. More than excited with all the other great names on saturday

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
how has that happened? get ready for a silent crowd all waiting for lisztomania

really underwhelmed
no best coast, wavves, beach fossils, my bloody valentine, jesus and mary chain, crystal castles and well a whle host of people...

and no saturday headliner... should have just bumped blur over

all those acts listed and you didn't list any from this year: Grinderman, Lou Reed, Bad Seeds, Sigur Ros, Grizzly Bear, Purity Ring, Modest Mouse, I mean come on....

Mr. Porter
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
*takes a bow*

Jman4321
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
This is awesome and hilarious.

Prelude
01-26-2013, 04:21 PM
I mean, their show in '10 was good... but fuck. $$$$$ in the bank for GV this year.

themonstermash
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
The headliners are weak, full stop. There was something that happened to cause for such underwhelming headliners. I don't know whether it was financial, or the artists they were chasing just weren't ready or willing. You just can't say that this year is anywhere near on the same level as the last three Coachella's.

Really dissapointing as there as so many logical artists missing from the poster. I'm not denying there's a whole BUNCH of goodness in there, and enough to have a rad time. Its just a little sad when its hyped up so much and expectations are so high to be left yawning at the announcement.

Confused to not see a couple of these artists on the poster this year...

Toro Y Moi
Crystal Castles
Kavinsky
Boys Noize
John Talabot
Big Boi
Kendrick Lamar
Com Truise
Nicolas Jaar
STRFKR
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
XXYYXX
Alabama Shakes
Deadmau5
Death Grips
How to Dress Well
Poolside

Heaps more....

tomkozuki
01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
This needs to happen.
Yn68TlEFYWs

nathanfairchild
01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
no. no it doesn't.

Kitsgirl
01-27-2013, 12:03 AM
no. no it doesn't.

You're a jackass.

Bob_Loblaw
01-27-2013, 12:42 AM
The headliners are weak, full stop. There was something that happened to cause for such underwhelming headliners. I don't know whether it was financial, or the artists they were chasing just weren't ready or willing. You just can't say that this year is anywhere near on the same level as the last three Coachella's.

Really dissapointing as there as so many logical artists missing from the poster. I'm not denying there's a whole BUNCH of goodness in there, and enough to have a rad time. Its just a little sad when its hyped up so much and expectations are so high to be left yawning at the announcement.

Toro Y Moi
Crystal Castles
Kavinsky
Boys Noize
John Talabot
Big Boi
Kendrick Lamar
Com Truise
Nicolas Jaar
STRFKR
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
XXYYXX
Alabama Shakes
Deadmau5
Death Grips
How to Dress Well
Poolside

Heaps more....

This. I could've sworn Kavinsky and Toro Y Moi were shoe-ins too.

suprefan
01-27-2013, 01:17 AM

Toro Y Moi
Crystal Castles
Kavinsky
Boys Noize
John Talabot
Big Boi
Kendrick Lamar
Com Truise
Nicolas Jaar
STRFKR
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
XXYYXX
Alabama Shakes
Deadmau5
Death Grips
How to Dress Well
Poolside

Heaps more....

Boysnoize is playing. Its called Dog Blood, so get over it. And i am sure anyone can make list upon list of acts that "shouldve been there".

themonstermash
01-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Boysnoize is playing. Its called Dog Blood, so get over it. And i am sure anyone can make list upon list of acts that "shouldve been there".

Dude first of all, shut the fuck up. Second of all, Boys Noize is playing under an entirely different side project alongside Skrillex. If this is too difficult for you to grasp, I'll understand. Dog Blood is n o t t h e s a m e t h i n g a s a b o y s n o i z e l i v e s h o w . Particularly when he has only just NOW got a new album, and awesome live show, I don't think its unfair to expect Coachella to give him the decency of his own set.

Thirdly Fuck Off

PulpOne
01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wque4QN.gif

Chillzzz
01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Tell that to Club 75