PDA

View Full Version : Burning Man 2010 Webcam- Live from the worldís most dangerous arts festival

Mike Tattoo
09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
http://www.ustream.tv/burningman

During the day they have audio from one of the BM radio stations so the music is pretty eclectic.

The real fun starts at night though when itís an explosion of light, neon, and fire.

This just became my favorite TV show this week.

zimmy1222
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
this shit is insane.

unknown
09-03-2010, 12:55 AM
bwahahaha that shit is amazing. look at all the LIGHTS!

Mike Tattoo
09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
A lot of the large scale art that debuts at Burning Man is later featured at other festivals like Coachella.

Iím really digging this piece

http://blog.burningman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/MG_2090.jpg

It looks amazing when light up at night

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-03-2010, 07:31 PM
wow, that is nuts. I REALLY to do this one year.

the sound is really fucking eerie hahaha

Mike Tattoo
09-03-2010, 08:43 PM
PERFECT mix-tape to the 2010 BM nighttime Webcab Ė

http://www.djdan.com/FutureRetroMixtapes/weed.wacker.frmixtape.mp3

SF hearts DJ DAN

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N-a-7XhTKqo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N-a-7XhTKqo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

rasooli
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Im my opinion, Coachella clowns on Burning Man

zimmy1222
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
you're comparing?

wow.

SDsoldier7
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
^next year zimm, fa sho. Black Rock City is amazing.

:lool

zimmy1222
09-07-2010, 10:44 PM
yes, i will be there next year. and DEFINITELY in 2012, that is gonna be absurd.

cheeksneak
09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
The best thing about burning man is when that dude burnt burning man way earlier than all the lame hippies wanted him to.

Mike Tattoo
09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Trying to compare Burning Man to other music festivals is like trying to compare Apples to Afghanistan.

People get run over, decapitated, impaled, and die all the time. Youíre on the set of this amazing 100+ million dollar summer blockbuster movie and just running amuck from one side of the set to the other on your bike, sometimes having to take cover during dust storms with strangers with great pills and better stories.

What I like though is that a lot of the large scale art used to just live at Burning Man. Now youíre seeing more and more of it show up at other music festivals, because that must look pretty fucking bitching on your resume. I set up this piece in the desert for a week while nature and freaks stomped on it and it never once failed. You already got the job by that point.

sleepybrew
09-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Just gonna say, I love Coachella. Comparing BM to C makes no sense. They are totally different. However, living and serving the bulk of the people coming to and from BM sucks ass. Most BM goers are fucking assholes. When BM comes around is when I get my first wind of anticipation for Coach and I can't wait to party in the desert for a concrete reason. I love the Playa, but only when I can enjoy it with a few friends and not 45,000 pricks and 5,00 decent people. Sorry, if you live in Reno, you understand this rant :(

SDsoldier7
09-08-2010, 07:43 AM
^

i agree with you on this to a certain extent. a lot of the peeps there were not "true burners" and probably don't even know the difference between left and right.

what i found to be funny was that even though burning man is about creativity, 85% of the people/camps there were all copying off each other. lol. a bunch of sheeple, even at burning man.

zimmy1222
09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
^That being said, some of the most creative and brilliant minds get utilized to the fullest extent. The artwork alone should be enough to get anyone out there at least once, right guyz?

liquidsnake28
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
People get run over, decapitated, impaled, and die all the time.

Right. I'm sure that happens all the time at Burning Man.

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
^

i agree with you on this to a certain extent. a lot of the peeps there were not "true burners" and probably don't even know the difference between left and right.

what i found to be funny was that even though burning man is about creativity, 85% of the people/camps there were all copying off each other. lol. a bunch of sheeple, even at burning man.

example? (beyond citing a bunch of geodesic domes).

a "true burner" would reject the notion of a "true burner". candy ravers are just as much a part of the city as the fleathers or the death guild. Everyone is humbled by the experience from crusty vets to first time frat boys.

Mike Tattoo
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Right. I'm sure that happens all the time at Burning Man.

It was the first thing I heard once we reached Burning Man '96.

Drunk driver smashed into something and seared his head clear off, blood everywhere. Drunk in question was a good friend of John Law, one of the founders of BM who later quit that year.

From the '96 Burning Man Donner Awards Ė

1996: This year the Donner Award was given to all the reckless drivers who turned the playa into a risky game of chance, thereby changing the driving rules for everyone. The top winners were: Fourth place - the college student who rolled his parents' Isuzu Trooper just south of camp. Third place - the two local kids who flipped their Suzuki Quadrunner while playing tag with another moving vehicle. Second place - the drunk driver who sheared off the rear end of another pickup truck during a dust storm. And finally, first place - the spaced-out junkie who borrowed his girlfriend's rental car, and then plowed it into an occupied tent, causing severe injuries.

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
It was the first thing I heard once we reached Burning Man '96.

Drunk driver smashed into something and seared his head clear off, blood everywhere. Drunk in question was a good friend of John Law, one of the founders of BM who later quit that year.

From the '96 Burning Man Donner Awards Ė

1996: This year the Donner Award was given to all the reckless drivers who turned the playa into a risky game of chance, thereby changing the driving rules for everyone. The top winners were: Fourth place - the college student who rolled his parents' Isuzu Trooper just south of camp. Third place - the two local kids who flipped their Suzuki Quadrunner while playing tag with another moving vehicle. Second place - the drunk driver who sheared off the rear end of another pickup truck during a dust storm. And finally, first place - the spaced-out junkie who borrowed his girlfriend's rental car, and then plowed it into an occupied tent, causing severe injuries.

That was 14 years ago when the population was only a few thousand. They have lots of BLM rangers and local cops out there now. You're not even allowed to drive a car out on the playa unless it's a registered art car and even then there's a 5mph speed limit. There are extremely few deaths or even serious injuries these days.

J~$$$$
09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
That was 14 years ago when the population was only a few thousand. They have lots of BLM rangers and local cops out there now. You're not even allowed to drive a car out on the playa unless it's a registered art car and even then there's a 5mph speed limit. There are extremely few deaths or even serious injuries these days.

So they took all the fun out of burning man?

djandrews25
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Ive read alot of stupid shit on this board but, wow.

SDsoldier7
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM

a "true burner" would reject the notion of a "true burner". candy ravers are just as much a part of the city as the fleathers or the death guild. Everyone is humbled by the experience from crusty vets to first time frat boys.

what camp were you with? im sure it's a perfect example

Distorted_Jungle
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Is the police presence at BM as strong as rumored? They really trip on the weed smokin and shit like that more than most?

zimmy1222
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
It's in nevada.....

Nevada.

Mike Tattoo
09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

True that.

I remember this cover story from a Piss Clear issue years ago that asked if yuppie dot.comers (Ha! Remember when we all worked at dot.coms? Good timesÖ) were ruining Burning Man. The gist of the article was that Burning Man has always been a yuppie experience ever since it moved to the playa. What else do you call someone who, at the bare minimum, has several hundreds of dollars in disposable income to go to the event, or at the other end of the spectrum, several thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of dollars in disposable income, to spend on building an art project, several of which are destroyed at the end of the week.

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 02:41 PM
what camp were you with? im sure it's a perfect example

trust me you don't want to compare notes as far as contributions out there. not this year or in years past, or probably in years to come.

Unless you do want to.

SDsoldier7
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
i'm waiting

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 02:51 PM
True that.

I remember this cover story from a Piss Clear issue years ago that asked if yuppie dot.comers (Ha! Remember when we all worked at dot.coms? Good timesÖ) were ruining Burning Man. The gist of the article was that Burning Man has always been a yuppie experience ever since it moved to the playa. What else do you call someone who, at the bare minimum, has several hundreds of dollars in disposable income to go to the event, or at the other end of the spectrum, several thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of dollars in disposable income, to spend on building an art project, several of which are destroyed at the end of the week.

I'm glad Adrian and the Piss Clear folks were back this year (although "Piss Clear" is dead). The articles this year had much the same attitude as the one you're quoting.

The yuppies are a big part of what make that whole thing possible. Those large sound cames and large installations cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce. Just because you see a bunch of fleathers on stage doesn't mean they are the ones who created it. And people with money aren't always just lucky. These are generally smart people who have the resources and talent to contribute for no other reason than to produce the greatest party anyone's ever seen. And they don't require a single thank you from anyone. And trust me if it the ravers and frat boys and wide eyed freaks weren't there, and it were just a bunch of these "true burners", the place would not be the same experience. Plus there are many many types of old school burners. The folks who put on the old school sound camps? Lots of people can't stand them. Is it the old-timer DPW folks? Lots of people can't stand them. All the people who complain about commercialization and yuppies and frat boys and candy ravers and all that bullshit are the ones who aren't really needed out there. They usually drop that attitude after a few burns anyway.

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 02:52 PM
i'm waiting

you're adorable.

SDsoldier7
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
^ do you speak out of yer ass all day or are you capable of more?

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
^ do you speak out of yer ass all day or are you capable of more?

I am quite comfortable with what we accomplished out there, it's very possible that you interacted with it, and there's no need to bandy with you.

between us you can be assured that only one of us is spouting off about nothing.

Mike Tattoo
09-08-2010, 03:24 PM
It's in nevada.....

Nevada.

Anyone else think itís ironic that Paris Hilton got busted for a few flakes of coke in Nevada the same week that Burning Man started?

God really does have a dark sense of humor ...

SDsoldier7
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I am quite comfortable with what we accomplished out there, it's very possible that you interacted with it, and there's no need to bandy with you.

between us you can be assured that only one of us is spouting off about nothing.

i'm guessing you have a really really cool playa name

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
actually I think playa names are stupid. Unless you've had it forever nobody knows who the fuck you're talking about.

Unless you go by your "playa name" all year, which a few DPW folks do.

djandrews25
09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Got any pics of your camp jack? Id really like to see what you guys did out there.

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Got any pics of your camp jack? Id really like to see what you guys did out there.

Our camp was just a camp. Our project was mobile. I'll send a few pics when some good ones get collected. Everyone is still settling in I guess and hasn't had a chance to put them up. I'm an idiot and never remember to take pics.

zimmy1222
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd like to see em too.

jackstraw94086
09-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I'd like to see em too.

shhhhhh. I'm pretty sure you've seen it in its half-built form, without lights and all the other tall stuff on it.

quiet now. I'll collect some pics of it out there though.

zimmy1222
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Jb ...

Mike Tattoo
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
And trust me if it the ravers and frat boys and wide eyed freaks weren't there, and it were just a bunch of these "true burners", the place would not be the same experience. Plus there are many many types of old school burners. The folks who put on the old school sound camps? Lots of people can't stand them. Is it the old-timer DPW folks? Lots of people can't stand them. All the people who complain about commercialization and yuppies and frat boys and candy ravers and all that bullshit are the ones who aren't really needed out there. They usually drop that attitude after a few burns anyway.

My take on it is that people tend to project onto Burning Man whatever is going on in their own lives.

People go for the first time that are blown away can then ride that ecstasy for a full year till next time.

People that are expecting that same level of euphoria years later and are disappointed tend to get jaded about newbies, candy ravers, fill in the blank.

Then you have psychos like Addis who was obviously going through a mental breakdown and could not let go of 1996, who have all of this spite towards an event that they had only gone to 2 times before and hadnít even been for over a decade.

That Burning Man, it brings out a whole range of passionate emotions in people.

Oh, and yeah. Papers!

I demand to see your papers and list of all your associates of people you have camped with!

Iím still waiting for your papers!

SDsoldier7
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
actually I think playa names are stupid.

which is why i was guessing you had one. you're not that fast are you

so what's your playa name straw? i can give you one...

Wheres the beef?
09-08-2010, 08:01 PM

I know someone who got seriously injured when he jumped off a moving art car and busted his elbow. Then he pretended he was okay for the next couple days even though he wasn't.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Darryl's playa name: Sunfire Glitterbliss...

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 08:16 AM
which is why i was guessing you had one. you're not that fast are you

so what's your playa name straw? i can give you one...

dude you're becoming more adorable by the second. You're clearly way too clever for all of this. Go play in the advanced placement sandbox.

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
My take on it is that people tend to project onto Burning Man whatever is going on in their own lives.

People go for the first time that are blown away can then ride that ecstasy for a full year till next time.

People that are expecting that same level of euphoria years later and are disappointed tend to get jaded about newbies, candy ravers, fill in the blank.

Then you have psychos like Addis who was obviously going through a mental breakdown and could not let go of 1996, who have all of this spite towards an event that they had only gone to 2 times before and hadnít even been for over a decade.

That Burning Man, it brings out a whole range of passionate emotions in people.

Oh, and yeah. Papers!

I demand to see your papers and list of all your associates of people you have camped with!

Iím still waiting for your papers!

Addis was just a plain nutjob. Apparently he lost his law license years before and even had some written nutjob manifesto before 2007.

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Darryl's playa name: Sunfire Glitterbliss...

it has a nice ring to it

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
dude you're becoming more adorable by the second. You're clearly way too clever for all of this. Go play in the advanced placement sandbox.

I'm just assuming one does not go to BM as many years as you have without receiving a playa name. If you don't wish to share it with us, thatís fine. I would be embarassed too

Mike Tattoo
09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Papers! I demand to see your papers and a list of all your known playa aliases!

Iím still waiting. Alone.

Please feed me.

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm just assuming one does not go to BM as many years as you have without receiving a playa name. If you don't wish to share it with us, thatís fine. I would be embarassed too

why is it so hard to believe that one would not have a playa name? Lots of crusty vets I know don't have one. There are tons of folks in DPW that feel the same way about playa names as we do. If you're comfortable with your name and don't feel the need to pretend to be some other goofy fucking person then there's no reason to force or allow someone else to force some stupid playa name on you. Larry Harvey probably doesn't even have a fucking playa name. Let it go dude.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
c'mon, you know you've been gifted one, whether you accepted it or not. ;)

and how was opiuo? been looking forward to tomorrow for him.

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
opiuo was good. I had a small grudge against him because his music was starting to all sound the same, but he opened for DJ Lampshade SweetTits so I figured I may as well check him out, especially since Lampshade had to skip his set a couple hours earlier at roots society, allowing us to go to Nexus early.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
his music does have that 'sound', at least it's his though.

who the fuck is that??? i saw the name on the schedule, in a primetime spot.

WHERE ON EARTH DID DJ LAMPSHADE SWEETTITS COME FROM?!?!

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 10:41 AM
someone seems a bit sensitive about their playa name

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
nah. someone's just butt hurt about being called out on his comment about "true burners" and the overwhelming lack of creativity (which I would guess pales in comparison to what this person did to contribute to that creativity)

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
his music does have that 'sound', at least it's his though.

who the fuck is that??? i saw the name on the schedule, in a primetime spot.

WHERE ON EARTH DID DJ LAMPSHADE SWEETTITS COME FROM?!?!

actually it's largely Tipper's. He does it well though.

Lampshade SweetTits is the same person as Roots Society's "Special BASS Guest"

Wheres the beef?
09-09-2010, 11:40 AM
why is it so hard to believe that one would not have a playa name? Lots of crusty vets I know don't have one. There are tons of folks in DPW that feel the same way about playa names as we do. If you're comfortable with your name and don't feel the need to pretend to be some other goofy fucking person then there's no reason to force or allow someone else to force some stupid playa name on you. Larry Harvey probably doesn't even have a fucking playa name. Let it go dude.

100% true.

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
nah. someone's just butt hurt about being called out on his comment about "true burners" and the overwhelming lack of creativity (which I would guess pales in comparison to what this person did to contribute to that creativity)

i don't give a fuck about what you think in regards to the original comment, you are not the kind of person i wish to communicate with. i care about making fun of you and your damn playa name you son of a bitch. and please don't talk to me about creativity you simple minded twit

so do you have a playa wife as well? what's the cunt's name, real or playa will do...

Mike Tattoo
09-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Ah, that Burning Man.

It brings out a whole range of emotions, including turrets in intrnet trolls that donít want to communicate with you but than stalk you for your ID and information on all your associates.

Kind of crazy the demons it brings out in people.

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Mike is still waiting for the papers btw

J~$$$$
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
The little Asian is like a rabid Pomeranian.

Is there anything like burning man that is invite only?

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
i don't give a fuck about what you think in regards to the original comment, you are not the kind of person i wish to communicate with. i care about making fun of you and your damn playa name you son of a bitch. and please don't talk to me about creativity you simple minded twit

so do you have a playa wife as well? what's the cunt's name, real or playa will do...

so you put on a fuzzy vest and get a little dusty for a few days and now you're king of the playa, call 85% of people's blood/sweat/tears "unoriginal", while drinking everyone's free booze and listening to everyone's music.

you're right. it would be pointless to talk to you about creativity. Have a nice life, and keep enjoying all the uncreative bullshit out there while we all tolerate people like you.

(and you've got nothing to communicate so this works out well)

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 03:34 PM
^how many days out of the year do you dedicate to burning man?

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
from what i hear, true dedication to the festival is a year round thing...especially people that take part in preparation of elaborate art cars and sound camps.

djandrews25
09-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Daryl contributed phresh dance grooves to the playa im sure.

Distorted_Jungle
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
you're right. it would be pointless to talk to you about creativity. Have a nice life, and keep enjoying all the uncreative bullshit out there while we all tolerate people like you.

Reading this and looking at your Avatar right after made me laugh a little, that is all.

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 05:04 PM
^how many days out of the year do you dedicate to burning man?

Between fundraising, project planning, proof of concept (more effort for next year than last), building (bulk of time), camp planning, organizing and cleaning up warehouse space, decom, etc. it's a lot of time. I could attempt to put a number on it but you'd just call it pathetic anyway.

rasooli
09-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Whats so stupid about this quote? I think very highly of Coachella, and Ive heard mediocre at best stuff about Burning Man. In addition, I go to music fesivals for the music (Coachella), not for the drugs (BM). Their is also beautiful pieces of art at Coachella, except for perhaps this year's version.

minogueCOMMAk
09-09-2010, 06:55 PM
You, sir, are a buffoon.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Whats so stupid about this quote? I think very highly of Coachella, and Ive heard mediocre at best stuff about Burning Man. In addition, I go to music fesivals for the music (Coachella), not for the drugs (BM). Their is also beautiful pieces of art at Coachella, except for perhaps this year's version.

Jesus christ, you are an ignorant piece of shit.

Wheres the beef?
09-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Between fundraising, project planning, proof of concept (more effort for next year than last), building (bulk of time), camp planning, organizing and cleaning up warehouse space, decom, etc. it's a lot of time. I could attempt to put a number on it but you'd just call it pathetic anyway.

It takes alot of work, no doubt. To see my friend who was the creator of our theme camp and all the stuff he had to bring and the setup and tear down and just everything that he put into it. He is my hero. Being a newbie, I had no idea. But it is pretty serious if you want to do it right and takes alot of time, money, and effort to pull off. 357 days probably isn't enough especially when you have a default job and other responsibilities. I'm more than happy to help out all through the year now that I have a taste of what it really takes.

My burn has left me so inspired to create and contribute beyond anything I could have imagined. I'm already planning for next year and dreaming about ways I can contribute and help to make it better for all. There is so much I want to do that it will probably take me all year to accomplish and I find that I enjoy it. One of the things that I did was create an LED scarf to wear on the playa and it was a frustrating and time consuming project to make. But every compliment I got made it all worth while and has just opened the flood gates of creativity. I realized that so much more is possible in my life and if I have a dream or idea I would like to do or create then I should do it.

I was really irritated by the MOOP towards the end of the week and found myself picking up trash wherever I went and often coming home with lots of it each night. I had a hard time coming to terms with it partly because I expected everyone to be doing their part but the truth I had to deal with is that not everybody does. Most people do a really good job of leaving no trace and sadly there are those that, for whatever reason, leave something behind. If I could stay and volunteer with DPW after the event I absolutely would. I'm making changes where I can in my day-to-day life as a result of my time on the playa to help make this world a better place as well.

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Iím sure it's more than 3/4's of the year, which is pathetic considering burning man is one week.

you should aspire to do more with your life. think a little bit more, it's not that difficult

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
It takes alot of work, no doubt. To see my friend who was the creator of our theme camp and all the stuff he had to bring and the setup and tear down and just everything that he put into it. He is my hero. Being a newbie, I had no idea. But it is pretty serious if you want to do it right and takes alot of time, money, and effort to pull off. 357 days probably isn't enough especially when you have a default job and other responsibilities. I'm more than happy to help out all through the year now that I have a taste of what it really takes.

My burn has left me so inspired to create and contribute beyond anything I could have imagined. I'm already planning for next year and dreaming about ways I can contribute and help to make it better for all. There is so much I want to do that it will probably take me all year to accomplish and I find that I enjoy it. One of the things that I did was create an LED scarf to wear on the playa and it was a frustrating and time consuming project to make. But every compliment I got made it all worth while and has just opened the flood gates of creativity. I realized that so much more is possible in my life and if I have a dream or idea I would like to do or create then I should do it.

I was really irritated by the MOOP towards the end of the week and found myself picking up trash wherever I went and often coming home with lots of it each night. I had a hard time coming to terms with it partly because I expected everyone to be doing their part but the truth I had to deal with is that not everybody does. Most people do a really good job of leaving no trace and sadly there are those that, for whatever reason, leave something behind. If I could stay and volunteer with DPW after the event I absolutely would. I'm making changes where I can in my day-to-day life as a result of my time on the playa to help make this world a better place as well.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.... probably one of the most refreshing things i've ever read on this board, makes me happy inside.

That's the thing that makes burning man amazing imo (well one big thing), you realize more about yourself than you EVER thought possible. At least, that's what i hear.

rasooli
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly.....I'm a "buffoon" and an "ignorant piece of shit" for liking one festival over another.....right?

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
it's not even a festival dude. open your eyes.

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I’m sure it's more than 3/4's of the year, which is pathetic considering burning man is one week.

you should aspire to do more with your life. think a little bit more, it's not that difficult

wow you are really reaching.
if you want to think I spend 280 days doing this shit and it makes you feel better about the 4 days a year you spend on burning man then good for you.

Plus we do a lot more than just the burn, and the experience of doing this stuff with a big group of friends and collaborating with other big groups of friends is something that is probably a completely foreign concept to you. All those big sound camps and art cars that you did your drugs at throw events and have fun all year round up here. burning man is just one event.

And what we do with the rest of our lives is probably of no less consequence than whatever incredibly noble endeavors you get up to.

How about you just pipe down before you say something else retarded.

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Once you accept the fact that no matter how sick your idea and no matter how hard you work, someone has topped you out there, then you can reconcile your own effort and not worry about making it perfect.

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
wow you are really reaching.
if you want to think I spend 280 days doing this shit and it makes you feel better about the 4 days a year you spend on burning man then good for you.

Plus we do a lot more than just the burn, and the experience of doing this stuff with a big group of friends and collaborating with other big groups of friends is something that is probably a completely foreign concept to you. All those big sound camps and art cars that you did your drugs at throw events and have fun all year round up here. burning man is just one event.

And what we do with the rest of our lives is probably of no less consequence than whatever incredibly noble endeavors you get up to.

How about you just pipe down before you say something else retarded.

i'm really just waiting to hear about your playa name and how you got it

jackstraw94086
09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
How about you give me one right now, chachi.

SDsoldier7
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Your playa name will be, Weak Sauce.

jazzz
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
yO WEAK SAUCE!

Thanks for the Bil Bless recommendation!

Good shit!

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
not good enough... weaktree psysauce is more appropriate.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 10:26 PM
yO WEAK SAUCE!

Thanks for the Bil Bless recommendation!

Good shit!

Life Mechanism 2 was in my player for over a week. Bil Bless is a masta.

jazzz
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Life Mechanism 2 was in my player for over a week. Bil Bless is a masta.

See this thread is already starting to get back on track and full of love.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Their is also beautiful pieces of art at Coachella, except for perhaps this year's version.

and btw, a lot of the art I've seen at Coachella premiered at burning man. sooo....

rasooli
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
it's not even a festival dude. open your eyes.

If its not a fesitval then what the fuck would you call it?

jazzz
09-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Burning Man Flats.

zimmy1222
09-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I call it Burning Man.

Mike Tattoo
09-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Your playa name will be, Weak Sauce.

I call it TOY!

Mike Tattoo
09-10-2010, 12:06 AM
TOY!

Give me an original idea!

Tell me what makes you a unique human being.

Oh ......just show me your papers

fucking cunt

Mike Tattoo
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=SDsoldier7;1857107....../QUOTE]

I thought so.

Fucking fame whore coward.

:(

misterpickles
09-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly.....I'm a "buffoon" and an "ignorant piece of shit" for liking one festival over another.....right?

they're just trying to emphasize that burning man is a very different type of event than coachella.. although they have some similarities (music, art, partytime!) the overall experience you will have at these two events are just dissimilar in nature, and thus its kindof nonsensical to compare the two.. you're not a buffoon, you just need to go to burning man and see for yourself

EDIT: though reading back a bit, the part where you associated burning man with drugs as the sole motivation is pretty damn ignorant hah.. there is SO much more to it than that

jazzz
09-10-2010, 12:20 AM
see all we needed was a pickle to settle this war.

Mike Tattoo
09-10-2010, 12:26 AM
An what a weird war t is.

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 10:00 AM

I've never been but i would call it more an experience, I understand Coachella is an experience as well but it's not the same. Burning Man does have music but is more about the art aspect and music is just there on the side.

shermanoaksyo
09-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Even as a first-timer, I don't think it's unfair to say that a little too much of BRC amounts to rehashed stuff from TV, movies, or venerable college gags. And if you've got the tastes of the typical coachella goer, you won't like most of the music.

But none of this even remotely matters - you'll be better for the preparation, you'll have a hundred sublime moments a day, and it'll change you (a little) and make you eager to contribute and ready for more.

I'm embarrassed to admit how often I think about next year, already. The "coachella hangover" is absolutely nothing by comparison.

Wheres the beef?
09-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Once you accept the fact that no matter how sick your idea and no matter how hard you work, someone has topped you out there, then you can reconcile your own effort and not worry about making it perfect.

This is true. I had this discussion with one of my campmates out there after a couple days in. I told him that the people that are out there and what they are doing is very intimidating to me. People are doing things and creating things that I never would have imagined. I might never get to where they are but it does inspire me to push myself beyond my personal limits of creativity and think beyond the border of my imagination.

Wheres the beef?
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I've never been but i would call it more an experience, I understand Coachella is an experience as well but it's not the same. Burning Man does have music but is more about the art aspect and music is just there on the side.

Coachella is just a concert.

Wheres the beef?
09-10-2010, 10:42 AM
they're just trying to emphasize that burning man is a very different type of event than coachella.. although they have some similarities (music, art, partytime!) the overall experience you will have at these two events are just dissimilar in nature, and thus its kindof nonsensical to compare the two.. you're not a buffoon, you just need to go to burning man and see for yourself

EDIT: though reading back a bit, the part where you associated burning man with drugs as the sole motivation is pretty damn ignorant hah.. there is SO much more to it than that

I saw way more drug use and people too fucked up at 3 days of Coachella than a week at Burning Man. Just sayin.

shermanoaksyo
09-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Coachella is just a concert.

I wouldn't say this is 100% true, but it's headed in that direction. Bring back '07/'08 amounts of art in 2011, PLEASE!

Wheres the beef?
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't say this is 100% true, but it's headed in that direction. Bring back '07/'08 amounts of art in 2011, PLEASE!

And rasooli might not understand this but 95% of all the art at coachella comes from burning man. :rolleyes

shermanoaksyo
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I saw way more drug use and people too fucked up at 3 days of Coachella than a week at Burning Man. Just sayin.

Totally agreed. Plus you have CSC policing the party instead of BLM and Rangers. BM is not dangerous at all as long as you are prepared in terms of water, lights, reinforced shelter and common sense.

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Even as a first-timer, I don't think it's unfair to say that a little too much of BRC amounts to rehashed stuff from TV, movies, or venerable college gags.

I think it's a generally a good balance of all types of art, including pop art. I think "rehashed" is too harsh. I think everyone made a genuine original stab at even recognizable icons. There wasn't a whole lot of TV stuff in the playa that I saw (which isn't to say it wasn't concentrated in some part of the city that I didn't see).

That said, I was a bit apprehensive about this year's theme because it almost begged to have common everyday iconic city-themed art all over the place, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it didnt. I did sort of cringe at the BRAT car because it too reminiscent of the city we're on vacation from. The only real urban-themed large scale art I saw out there was Megatropolis (hated), and Ein Hammer (loved). It was actually kind of a down year as far as big art in general IMO, although I'm fearful that memories of all the massive shit in 2006 may taint my future opinions.

My first year I came across the Playa Book of Records, where a guy was trying to set the playa record for most full cans of PBR hung from a string off the end of a Prince Albert. It was a naked Aussie dude. The record was 4. I saw him do 4, his dick was stretched down to his knees. Everyone screamed in agony for him. He then reset and did 5, breaking the record. I wanted to puke. He then had them string up a sixth. They let it down and he finally gave in. He said that would have been the "breaking point". You could call that "college gag" maybe. But seriously, it's still incredibly amusing, and it exposes more "college gag" type behavior to thousands of folks who had no idea that kind of stuff could be amusing, beyond being simply childish.

There's a huge car out there that is nothing but a huge digital sign, 30' long by 12' high, and during last year it was parked across the ring from us at the burn, and the whole time it was lit up saying "BUKKAKE". My friends and I debated it. Some thought it was hilarious, some distasteful, some just plain stupid. But it in the end it at least made you appreciate that this was a place where you could do whatever the fuck you want and challenge people to think about what you're doing, or simply let them fuck off, you're on vacation. I'm sure that's what all those people with the rehashed TV themed stuff were doing.

btw I saw it out several times one night this year when it said "BALZDEEP"

shermanoaksyo
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
That's a fair response, and I may just be echoing my virgin tuesday WTF-am-I-doing-here apprehensions which vanished by thursday. I guess at first I was struck by the fact that on average, I didn't like the art as much as the stuff I find at an eastside (or SOMA if you're up there) art collective, but then again, those are art spaces and this is burning man.

I also hated Megatropolis, but I get agitated when I read or hear anyone say anything bad about the unbelievable Temple of Flux.

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM

I'm guessing some of this has to do with the drugs people do at each event, i would imagine E is far less popular at an event like BM. I also would assume you get at least a little more experienced crowd that knows how to control themselves, while at Coachella you get a lot of young dumb people doing things for the first time and people who can't handle themselves. This is all speculation, but it's what I would imagine.

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm guessing some of this has to do with the drugs people do at each event, i would imagine E is far less popular at an event like BM. I also would assume you get at least a little more experienced crowd that knows how to control themselves, while at Coachella you get a lot of young dumb people doing things for the first time and people who can't handle themselves. This is all speculation, but it's what I would imagine.

E is still king even at BM. However you do get far more of other stuff as well than you would see at concert. Also you can't really do E five nights in a row. What always shocks me is how many people do blow out there. I can think of no more hellish place to have to come down and then have a fucked up nose than out there.

and there are a few folks that go ape shit and overdo it, but the general atmosphere creates an odd high that tempers people's desire to do a bunch of drugs too quickly (IMO). you don't really need to. One small drug high is severly amplified by the general "holy shit look where we are" feeling. It's a long week. People take care of each other moreso than at a concert.

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm tempted to plan on going next year based on this thread and the one in the Other Festivals section. I would imagine i would have an amazing time, I just have heard from people i probably would not dig the police presence. I'm not a blow it or anything doing everything in the open thinking it's cool or anything, just have a deep rooted hatred for authority because of some life choices i have made. Maybe this would be the place to rid myself of such things and broaden my horizons in many other ways. The heat and sand is also something that turns me away from this adventure. I have to put some serious thought into whether i should go or not and have some conversations with people that went this year for the first time and draw my conclusion from that. I've always had an appreciation for the art and everything i see and do feel the experience would humble me, but i also have had my doubts. Many things to consider.

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm tempted to plan on going next year based on this thread and the one in the Other Festivals section. I would imagine i would have an amazing time, I just have heard from people i probably would not dig the police presence. I'm not a blow it or anything doing everything in the open thinking it's cool or anything, just have a deep rooted hatred for authority because of some life choices i have made. Maybe this would be the place to rid myself of such things and broaden my horizons in many other ways. The heat and sand is also something that turns me away from this adventure. I have to put some serious thought into whether i should go or not and have some conversations with people that went this year for the first time and draw my conclusion from that. I've always had an appreciation for the art and everything i see and do feel the experience would humble me, but i also have had my doubts. Many things to consider.

If you're a sensible person then the cops can be ignored. It's not really as big a deal as people say. Some of the cops are actually pretty cool. Burning Man is a coveted duty for most of them and they actually compete for it. The actually get PAID to experience all that art and beautiful shit. And they're not stupid, they know everyone's doing illegal things, but the fact that everyone can pull off doing all this dangerous shit without getting into trouble is probably somewhat inspiring to them.

One time I stumbled out into the dark to take a piss and it felt so good that my eyes rolled back into my head and when I finished and looked next to me I realized I was standing 10' away from a parked sheriff. I could just barely see his teeth exposed by a huge grin. I quickly zipped up and almost stumbled as I walked off. When I looked back again to see if he was being followed he simply flicked a wave at me and let me go.

It's rare to see cops at night. just ignore them.

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 12:07 PM
If you're a sensible person then the cops can be ignored. It's not really as big a deal as people say. Some of the cops are actually pretty cool. Burning Man is a coveted duty for most of them and they actually compete for it. The actually get PAID to experience all that art and beautiful shit. And they're not stupid, they know everyone's doing illegal things, but the fact that everyone can pull off doing all this dangerous shit without getting into trouble is probably somewhat inspiring to them.

One time I stumbled out into the dark to take a piss and it felt so good that my eyes rolled back into my head and when I finished and looked next to me I realized I was standing 10' away from a parked sheriff. I could just barely see his teeth exposed by a huge grin. I quickly zipped up and almost stumbled as I walked off. When I looked back again to see if he was being followed he simply flicked a wave at me and let me go.

It's rare to see cops at night. just ignore them.

It was amped up to me by people who were going for their first time this year from stories they had heard, so now that they have gone they can give me a fair review for myself. I just don't know if I could do this and Coachella so it would have to come down to one or the other. I guess at that point it's the choice of whether i would like to have a more spiritual enlightenment kind of experience or a pretty much solid music based experience.

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 12:18 PM
It was amped up to me by people who were going for their first time this year from stories they had heard, so now that they have gone they can give me a fair review for myself. I just don't know if I could do this and Coachella so it would have to come down to one or the other. I guess at that point it's the choice of whether i would like to have a more spiritual enlightenment kind of experience or a pretty much solid music based experience.

If indie rock tickles your pickle then coachella's definitely the way to go. If you like EDM then BM is the best place on earth to see it (and the EDM's much better to boot)

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I hate most Indie Rock to be honest, i go to Coachella for the Sahara and fun I have out there but I'm starting to think BM is the next level and I need to take the step. Just don't want to end up like Wille E. Coyote, but I guess as long as I don't look down I'll be fine, right? haha.

Edit: My avatar didn't give you a hint that EDM was my thing? haha

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I hate most Indie Rock to be honest, i go to Coachella for the Sahara and fun I have out there but I'm starting to think BM is the next level and I need to take the step. Just don't want to end up like Wille E. Coyote, but I guess as long as I don't look down I'll be fine, right? haha.

Edit: My avatar didn't give you a hint that EDM was my thing? haha

If you play it right you won't know the difference between looking up and down.

But be aware there's not a lot of dnb out there lately. It's mostly electro house, with breaks making a slight comeback, and a lot of solid midtempo.

there's the occasional DNB out there though (btw music spots look nothing like this. This is just a big fucking screen, most of the other big spots are full environments with crazy fire shit and other bugged out stuff)
XnNeVSSURac

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
this was down the block from that massive screen, and the cooler spots looked and sounded more like this

hbNybriso5M

iKjf06S31d0

and this was across the playa
hGVl_dRiWhU

s-CiAhH8h_w

shotglass75
09-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I've skimmed through this thread and this is what I have come up with, unless you have been there, you really have no clue.

You really have no sense of time at BM. You get to where you gotta be whenever you get there. Set times mean nothing unless you HAVE to see some DJ. But do you really HAVE to see a DJ when there is sooooooo much more out there to see?

The overall feeling I got from BM though is that it feels like it was put together by the people for the people. At Coachella and other fests, you are spectator of the arts. At Burning Man you are a participant and YOU as an individual is what makes Burning Man happen. Without YOU, Burning Man will not exist. Coachella/Goldenvoice sets up the tents, the stages, books the bands/DJ's, brings in the food vendors, and decides what art displays will be shown. Burning Man is completely dependent on YOU to supply all of that.

The two festivals are incomparable. Experience it for yourself. Explore it for yourself. Push yourself to the limits and then look back and be proud that your survived a week of complete and radical self reliance. It truly is one of the most amazing experiences that you will ever be a part of.

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 01:40 PM
If you play it right you won't know the difference between looking up and down.

But be aware there's not a lot of dnb out there lately. It's mostly electro house, with breaks making a slight comeback, and a lot of solid midtempo.

there's the occasional DNB out there though (btw music spots look nothing like this. This is just a big fucking screen, most of the other big spots are full environments with crazy fire shit and other bugged out stuff)
XnNeVSSURac

I'm not limited to just D'n'B, I'm a really big fan of MiMOSA and Bassnectar who had back to back sets out there and I LOVE breaks. I like most electronic music so I guarantee i would love most the music i came accross. I'm starting to think more and more that I NEED to go to this.

Distorted_Jungle
09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I've skimmed through this thread and this is what I have come up with, unless you have been there, you really have no clue.

You really have no sense of time at BM. You get to where you gotta be whenever you get there. Set times mean nothing unless you HAVE to see some DJ. But do you really HAVE to see a DJ when there is sooooooo much more out there to see?

The overall feeling I got from BM though is that it feels like it was put together by the people for the people. At Coachella and other fests, you are spectator of the arts. At Burning Man you are a participant and YOU as an individual is what makes Burning Man happen. Without YOU, Burning Man will not exist. Coachella/Goldenvoice sets up the tents, the stages, books the bands/DJ's, brings in the food vendors, and decides what art displays will be shown. Burning Man is completely dependent on YOU to supply all of that.

The two festivals are incomparable. Experience it for yourself. Explore it for yourself. Push yourself to the limits and then look back and be proud that your survived a week of complete and radical self reliance. It truly is one of the most amazing experiences that you will ever be a part of.

I would never compare the two of them, just think that I would have to chose to go to one or the other because financially i don't think i could afford to do both of them.

rasooli
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
i stand corrected on my previous posts. It seems like you really have to be their in order to experience it. After reading this thread, i too want to embark on this journey.

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

bingo.
GV spends millions on massive equipment and the world's top acts, but in the end you're an outside little entity standing on a spot of grass just observing a massive manufactured project. And that's completely cool because you can just pay for that experience, not have to build it, and not deal with it when it's done. BM's shitload of work, but when you're in the middle of the playa checking out a piece of art or the middle of a party, you're either one of the people who helped make it happen or you know whoever did is just some dude just like you and appreciates you being there way more than GV does.

J~$$$$
09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Is there a gun range or fireworks allowed at burning man? Its not a question of violence, more just enjoying loud explosions.

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Is there a gun range or fireworks allowed at burning man? Its not a question of violence, more just enjoying loud explosions.

officially no.

There's plenty of explosions to be found if you want them.

This was the largest explosion ever seen on the playa. I was standing half-way across the playa from it and felt a blast of heat.
G_mWRIY45Yk

J~$$$$
09-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes!!!!!!

Do you need a permit or register your art to be the one causing the explosions?

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 03:09 PM
ya you definitely need to register a project to do something like that so you can get the rangers to help facilitate it.

oooooorrrrrr just blow your shit up without telling anyone. give it a shot.

this is from this year. starts getting good at 6min.
e9EiLhZabKI

jackstraw94086
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
and this was the largest fire ever at BM, the "waffle" from 06
AfolquAYRfY

J~$$$$
09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Building mini cities just to watch them burn after using them up......tears of joy. good music, good people and explosions is what I live for.

J~$$$$
09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Those videos are awesome but im sure it doesn't do it justice.

Wheres the beef?
09-10-2010, 03:53 PM

I mentioned this in the other thread but some folks had gone out beyond the border of the burning man area onto the unregulated land and they detonated some crazy amount of compressed propane and other flammable gases that created a giant mushroom cloud that I saw from a tower we had erected at our camp at least 2 miles away. I wish I had gotten pictures. It was huge. It looked exactly like this:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1159/1330352258_7008f30a4e.jpg?v=0

Mike Tattoo
09-10-2010, 10:36 PM
And rasooli might not understand this but 95% of all the art at coachella comes from burning man. :rolleyes

Exactly.

And one of the main points I was trying to make with this post.

Itís become much more of a symbiotic relationship recently. Before, you would only see the art and art cars mostly at BM. Thatís where the art lived.

Now, youíre seeing more and more large-scale art pieces debut at BM 2010 and then later get work in 2011 at the US music festival circuit. Awesome. More power to them. Go get paid, Son.

People that are 12 years old always want to turn the conversation into a ďmy festival can kick your festivalís assĒ debate and completely miss the point that its more of a symbiotic relationship.

Besides, how bad-ass is it to have Burning Man on your artís resume?

I didnít just make this art up in theory. I built and maintained it out in the Nevada desert while God hailed his wrath on me for (at least) a week and some 50K+ people jumped up and down on it and I never once failed. Iím the man for the job.

algunz
09-10-2010, 11:40 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/57963_483662243384_775203384_6625452_2902460_n.jpg

algunz
09-10-2010, 11:56 PM
This looks beautiful:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/44364_1607582589913_1246644112_31697947_5078173_n. jpg

Could you go inside it?

Wheres the beef?
09-10-2010, 11:59 PM
This looks beautiful:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/44364_1607582589913_1246644112_31697947_5078173_n. jpg

Could you go inside it?

yes. It was kind of a spiral that was open at each end. Inside were benches and some firepits. They also had build in these little nooks where 3-4 people could go inside and some had fire pits inside and you could hangout. It was a very cool place to chill. I met alot of wonderful people there.

greghead
09-11-2010, 07:01 AM
I’m sure it's more than 3/4's of the year, which is pathetic considering burning man is one week.

I think you've bitten off a bit more than you can chew here, William Hung. What, specifically, did you do at BM that was so uncontrollably creative that you're above reproach? Christ man, your posts over the last year and a half represent the paragon of idiocy, and now you're vainly attempting to call out Jackstraw as being thick-headed and uncreative? I think this is what psychologists call "projecting".

All of these awesome photos and videos are nothing short of inspiring; thanks for sharing, everyone

SDsoldier7
09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Anyone know why bassnectar decided to not perform on thrusday night at root society? i thought it was kind of funny at how the next night he decided to play at basscamp

...looking at you for an answer, Weak Sauce

algunz
09-11-2010, 09:43 AM
For being such a beautiful experience, there really is a lot of negative energy in this thread. :nono

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Anyone know why bassnectar decided to not perform on thrusday night at root society? i thought it was kind of funny at how the next night he decided to play at basscamp

All my friends who went that night said he played.

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
For being such a beautiful experience, there really is a lot of negative energy in this thread. :nono

Seriously. :nono

algunz
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Have you guys liked at the BM facebook page. There are some AWESOME pics in there.

misterpickles
09-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I believe his sound card got screwed up by the dust

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Have you guys liked at the BM facebook page. There are some AWESOME pics in there.

I was planning on going through flikr. I hate how FB compresses photos.

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 12:35 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/254zifa.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/f1ftxg.jpg

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2d6r0id.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/i6f1x5.jpg

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 12:54 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4960027471_4a2c339494_o.jpg
Theblight.net

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-11-2010, 01:28 PM
WOW that last photo is amazing. And what exactly was going on inside of the thunderdome hahahaha

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 01:38 PM
WOW that last photo is amazing. And what exactly was going on inside of the thunderdome hahahaha

People were fighting. Like seriously fighting. But not fists. They had these wiffle ball bats with foam on them but people were going at as hard as they could. They would also semi-suspend the fighters by these trapeze things (like they use in movies for matrix-style stunts) so they could get some air and stuff. It was pretty serious and funny. The night we went it was DPW people going at and I guess after a month of being out there building the city you have some venting to do. It was good times.

eskamo951
09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
So...with the large art pieces, such as the Metropolis buildings or the temples, are people living out there beforehand, building them, or are they pre-built in pieces and assembled in the first few days, or how do they do it?

I have so much research to do.

Wheres the beef?
09-11-2010, 02:54 PM
So...with the large art pieces, such as the Metropolis buildings or the temples, are people living out there beforehand, building them, or are they pre-built in pieces and assembled in the first few days, or how do they do it?

I have so much research to do.

There is a group of people that volunteers to go out ahead of the event (1-2 months I think) called The Department of Public Works (DPW) and they go out to survey the area and mark the event boundaries, the streets, and section off areas where approved theme camps have been given reserved space. There are also people out there building the larger structures such as The Man and The Temple. Artists and theme camps are also given approved early access to set up before the event officially opens on Sunday night. Some stuff is pre-built and some stuff is assembled on site.

The DPW also stays behind 1-2 months after event. Part of the Burning Man Orginzations agreement with the BLM to have the event there is that the land must be restored to a certain degree following the event and the turn over of the area back to the general public. This plays into some of the core values of the event of Leave No Trace and MOOP.

arsgunner
09-11-2010, 09:11 PM

not even 1% of attendance at coachella is mainly for there for the art

Mike Tattoo
09-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Trolls love Burning Man.

Gribbz
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/f1ftxg.jpg

YES.

eskamo951
09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
not even 1% of attendance at coachella is mainly for there for the art

Even if you aren't there for the art, you have to admit that it wouldn't be the same without it.

eskamo951
09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
People were fighting. Like seriously fighting. But not fists. They had these wiffle ball bats with foam on them but people were going at as hard as they could. They would also semi-suspend the fighters by these trapeze things (like they use in movies for matrix-style stunts) so they could get some air and stuff. It was pretty serious and funny. The night we went it was DPW people going at and I guess after a month of being out there building the city you have some venting to do. It was good times.

I want this

jackstraw94086
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM

His soundcard crapped out. He announced it on the stage and apologized. Someone then found one for him so he could perform 2 hours later at nexus.
Thus he was able to perform at basscamp the next night.

Does this satisfy you? Hope to see you out there next year, you cute little parasite.

SDsoldier7
09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
well if that's what happend, then yes, that answer will suffice.

i'm down to meet up next year Weak Sauce, just bring yer lil bitch ass to the thunderdome

Wheres the beef?
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Geno_g
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
WOW... Those photos are nuts...

jackstraw94086
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
well if that's what happend, then yes, that answer will suffice.

i'm down to meet up next year Weak Sauce, just bring yer lil bitch ass to the thunderdome

Your playa name is Tedious Twatsworth. You've earned it so wear it with pride.

Wheres the beef?
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Hahahahah!

Wheres the beef?
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
i'm rollin with the big dawgs now homie :D

:thu good for you!

SDsoldier7
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM
were you gifted a playa name KB420?

SDsoldier7
09-13-2010, 04:17 PM

you're too nice, really

djandrews25
09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
you're too nice, really

Thank yourself, you worked hard to earn it. Mr. Twatsworth.

SDsoldier7
09-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Thank yourself, you worked hard to earn it. Mr. Twatsworth.

how was DEEP?

djandrews25
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
It was good man, you should have come. The dj on before marcus was much better, but both played quality deep house.