PDA

View Full Version : Android Phones

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Who's got one? What apps are you digging?

JClemy
08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I love my android. Micdroid is kinda fun. It's the "I am Tpain" app only free. Pretty much all the google apps are amazing.

Shazzam, foursquare(stupid but fun), Evernote(which is cool but I never use), gigbox, IMDB, Movies, Ochocinco, Netcounter, Ringdroid, Torrentfu, Yelp.

They are all pretty good. You guys have better apps in America though.

I just did an article on why I chose my android.

http://www.gamerwok.com/main/2010/8/2/why-i-choose-android-mobility.html

bleep
08-02-2010, 08:21 PM
CNET Audio and Twit For Android for all my geeky podcasts. A Online Radio to stream KEXP. Yelp and Twitter are my necessaries for food and real-time searches. that's pretty much it, i like to keep it simple.

shoegazer76
08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Postin from mine right now. I've got the Motorola milestone. I've had some issues with the mic. People are complaining they can't hear me unless I hold the phone just right. As far as apps go I'm diggin the shit outta Shop Savy cause I'm a hustla baby. I go thriftin and pick up finds to sling so this app comes in handy during certain situations. Craigslist app is o.k. too. Weather bug app is on point. The barcode reader is awesome. There are tons of free apps worth testing.

Boourns
08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I just got a free upgrade to an LG Ally and have really been enjoying it. Short battery life, but I guess that's to be expected. Micdroid is lots of fun.

faxman75
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Torrent-fu is the most brilliant app ever made,if you like to steal media.

M Sparks
08-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I just got a Droid X. Google Goggles is fun, and I want to take Google Sky out, but you can't see any damn stars in Phoenix.

tessalasset
08-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm glad we have this thread so I can rant/ask questions.

I don't download hardly any apps on my phone because the battery dies SO FUCKING QUICKLY!!! I swear to god, I make ten text messages and the battery loses a bar. It's ridiculous. I carry my ipod touch with me, too, so any time I'm in an area with wifi I prefer to use that over my phone. I have the first Motorola Droid (the one without the slide out keyboard). Speaking of which, the ipod keyboard is so much easier to use.

I haven't spent many hours researching to try to figure out how to use everything on my phone (I was a little ticked they give you pretty much a six-page booklet instead of a full comprehensive book like every other phone I've ever gotten). But this thing doesn't seem as instinctive as it should to me. I feel like I have to do three things to get one thing done. It lags like CRAZY. When I open the phone app, it'll take like five full seconds to update the most recent calls, so half the time I end up tapping someone's name I don't mean to call.

I feel like I must just be retarded with this phone, and it should be a lot better than I think it is, but I don't want to spend hours online trying to figure out how to streamline it.

Also the camera is absolutely horrible. I was just complaining about that with someone Saturday night. Five megapixels is nice, but when every fucking thing you take a picture of comes out blurry, it doesn't matter if it's high res. There's no flash, yet there's a little hole next to the lens which looks like one. It is not ergonomically comfortable for me to press the track ball to take the picture - is it possible to just press the screen like on an iphone? Right now if I want to take a good, in-focus picture of something, I have to use one hand to steady the phone and one hand to take the picture. There has to be an easier way. And forget trying to take decent concert pics. After you press the track ball, it still takes seconds for the lens to shut, so by the time you take that picture of Kevin Drew's face right in front of you, he's halfway across the stage. So, so frustrating.

Any tips or shortcuts you can recommend? I want to like my phone so badly, but this thing just makes me wish I had my old Verizon enV back.

mountmccabe
08-03-2010, 04:20 AM
I did not know (and can't find any info on) a version of the Moto Droid without a slideout keyboard so I'mn't sure what you're working with. It almost sounds like you've got a Droid Eris but that's by HTC.

I have the Moto Droid (w/slide out keyboard) and yeah, the stock camera app has been OK for landscapes but I've gotten almost nothing worthwhile in terms of concert photography. And yes, on the stock camera app here there is an onscreen button that one can use to take photos. Even if your stock app doesn't have such a button I will be that there's a camera app in the market that does have one (I have not tried different camera apps.)

I've seen different Onscreen Keyboard apps in the market, too, but, again, I haven't looked because I almost exclusively use my slideout or voice text.

One thing that may help you find options is AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com/), which is an app review site. You can get an AppBrain app for your phone so then it'll know what you already have on your phone and can access their reviews, etc from there, too.

I also do not have such issues with battery life; I got through all of Coachella with one charge and two spare batteries.

mountmccabe
08-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Also one of the reasons I think I'm doing well with my phone is that I DO like spending time trying out different apps and configurations. I love the variety of options, even if many of them are terrible.

Also I've finally found a good Flickr app, Flickr Free (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.zmosoft.flickrfree). I can actually upload with this app (without causing a FC) and can customize pretty much everything on that upload. Good for browsing your photostream, too.

Also RingDroid (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.ringdroid) can be used for cutting ringtones from mp3s (I just always use Audacity on my computer) but what it really does best is make accessing the music files you have easier from various other apps (Alarm Clock, setting notifications and contact ringtones, etc)

malcolmjamalawesome
08-03-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm in the process of using Ringdroid to make this the alarm on my Droid Incredible:

Ya5ICVKUERg

Mr. Fuzz
08-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Magical

faxman75
08-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm glad we have this thread so I can rant/ask questions.

I don't download hardly any apps on my phone because the battery dies SO FUCKING QUICKLY!!! I swear to god, I make ten text messages and the battery loses a bar. It's ridiculous.

Try turning off background data in your settings. Also, turn down your brightness as much as tolerable. This will help a great deal with your battery. The background data especially. The only reason you really need to keep on background data is to access the markteplace (which it will prompt you to turn it on when you go there anyway) and if you like to get instant notifications for all of your apps, whenever there are updates, you will still get those whenever you turn it back on but it won't be running constantly and draining your batter, also turn off auto sync for your e-mail . If you are ok with checking your e-mail on your time, this will work and should dramatically increase your battery life. You will still get phone calls and texts messages. I also have wifi, bluetooth and auto sync turned off. Other things that I don't use that can drain your battery are live wallpapers and blue tooth. Bluetooth doesn't drain a bunch but again, all of these things running at the same time will have an impact. When I first got my phone my battery wouldn't make it through the day. After these changes the life literally doubled.

As far as the camera go, I completely agree. I was so excited about the 5MP it was boasting only to see some crappy quality photos. They failed here, no question. I have found an app that I like and slightly improved (nothing dramatic) and also has a bunch of other cool features and recieved a number of good reviews on line and in the market place. It's the only app I have paid for and I think it was about $5. I'm pleased with it but still disapointed in the camera in general. The fact is, there is nothing that is going to make the camera good in low light. It's simply not going to happen or be useful for night time shots. It is however fine for daylight shots and sunny outdoor coachella photo's. I use Pro Zoom Camera 5X for pictures. It actually has a bit of a zoom since the stock camera doesn't include any. It's not much but it's better.

Here is an example of a concert photo though from this past Saturday night. I was front row Mezz so above the stage but the zoom helped and even though it was low light, the picture came out ok enough, much better than I could have done with the stock IMO.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs213.snc4/38997_417492481283_666671283_4827388_3849074_n.jpg

Mr. Fuzz
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
ghey

faxman75
08-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Whoah, that's pretty clever to spell it that way. I'm going to keep looking at pictures of pretty girls playing beautiful music while you figure out trendy internet lingo.

PotVsKtl
08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
NewsRoom, Astrid, Dolphin Browser, Torrent-fu, Cubed, Gmote. Oh, and root it for the wireless tether.

wscmx13
08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I love my Droid X.It can only get better with Android 2.2 upgrade

guedita
08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
The Daily Dilbert app is a hoot. Daily.

I.F.A.
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I just got the T-mobile MyTouch (after having bitched for a year about how I just wanted a "dumb" phone that made calls... I'm a dirty hypocrite) and I love it.

I'm still trying to figure it all out, but so far so good. The only thing that annoys me so far is that I get double alerts when I get a new e-mails, but I assume there's a way to turn off or uninstall one of them.

Which, how do I uninstall apps? Bueller?

mountmccabe
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
NewsRoom, Astrid, Dolphin Browser, Torrent-fu, Cubed, Gmote. Oh, and root it for the wireless tether.

Astird can die in a smouldering fire. Dolphin seems to have as many upsides (easy tabbed browsing) as downsides (bookmarks eat it.)

I have Gmote but've never used it. Cubed looks like it could be good.

Amy I am sure there's a way through Settings but I'm unfamiliar with your phone type. You can uninstall via the market, though (as long as it'sn't a stock app.)

faxman75
08-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Which, how do I uninstall apps? Bueller?

Should be settings>applications>>manage applications>>>click on the application you want to uninstall and then you will have the option to either clear cache or uninstall the app.

I.F.A.
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks!

PotVsKtl
08-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Cubed looks like it could be good.

The actual cube interface is a little too gimmicky for me but there's also a "Wall" view mode that just displays all the album art in a scrollable list (and fetches missing art automatically.) Better functionality imo, not advertised with the app.

I.F.A.
08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Also, I LOVE the Pandora app. LOVE!

wscmx13
08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
the Last Fm app is pretty rad

tessalasset
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
I did not know (and can't find any info on) a version of the Moto Droid without a slideout keyboard so I'mn't sure what you're working with. It almost sounds like you've got a Droid Eris but that's by HTC.

My bad. Eris is what I have.

M Sparks
08-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Oh, and root it for the wireless tether.

It's built in on the Droid X!

captncrzy
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Marc's Droid told me I'm not very good at animals.

PotVsKtl
08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
It's built in on the Droid X!

That's crazy, do they explicitly say there's no penalty for tethered bandwidth? Up until now manufacturers have sort of just turned a blind eye.

M Sparks
08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
My bad. Eris is what I have.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this. Droid is the brand name of certain Android phones on Verizon, although they are made by different companies. I had lunch with someone today that had told me she got a Droid a while back. I said something about hers having a keyboard and she said it didn't. She pulled it out and it was some candybar shaped Android phone from T-Mobile. (Which really should have had a slider keyboard because it was super thick anyway, and had a very small screen.)

M Sparks
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Marc's Droid told me I'm not very good at animals.

NO...it said that it wasn't good at identifying animals...when I took your picture.

M Sparks
08-03-2010, 02:58 PM
That's crazy, do they explicitly say there's no penalty for tethered bandwidth? Up until now manufacturers have sort of just turned a blind eye.

As far as I know, it's widely known and free. But, yeah, there's no instructions or anything. You pair them with Bluetooth, right click the device, and hit "Connect to Access Point." That's it. I even put a shortcut on my desktop so I wouldn't have to go in the control panel every time.

It's certainly much easier than my old T-Mobile Windows phone, which involved using a Bluetooth dial up modem.

tessalasset
08-03-2010, 03:17 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion on this. Droid is the brand name of certain Android phones on Verizon, although they are made by different companies. I had lunch with someone today that had told me she got a Droid a while back. I said something about hers having a keyboard and she said it didn't. She pulled it out and it was some candybar shaped Android phone from T-Mobile. (Which really should have had a slider keyboard because it was super thick anyway, and had a very small screen.)

When I picked out my phone in March, I had the choice between the droid Eris and the next version up (on verizon). the next version had the sliding keyboard, but it was way bulkier than the eris. I liked the feel of the eris more because it fit in my hand better and reminded me more of my ipod touch. downside is that the keyboard on the screen is super small. but yeah, i think i need to focus more on apps that increase the functionality of my phone, and not silly ones like google sky (which i do have). i also have goggles and bump (which so far has not worked for me) and ringdroid (which i haven't attempted to use yet) and some others. i need to get a camera app like you were talking about. i didn't realize the app would enable you to press the screen to take pics. i need that.

tessalasset
08-03-2010, 03:17 PM
also, have you had any lagging issues like i described?

I.F.A.
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM

It's probably the one that I have (the MyTouch). The newest version does have a slider keyboard.

M Sparks
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
When I picked out my phone in March, I had the choice between the droid Eris and the next version up (on verizon).

I forgot about the Eris. If you go to the Droid website, they only show Droid, Droid X and Droid Incredible.

M Sparks
08-03-2010, 05:45 PM
So, I had an extra Bluetooth dongle and put it on my office computer, figuring I can tether if the cable goes out. Not only could I not get it working, but I somehow broke it on my laptop too. I'm going to try uninstalling and unpairing everything I can think of, but I'm kinda pissed.

EDIT fixed now, on both. I have no idea what the problem was.

jimmycrackcorn
08-04-2010, 01:41 AM
It's probably the one that I have (the MyTouch). The newest version does have a slider keyboard.

i bought the mytouch 3g slide because it has the keyboard (always had keyboard envy because my last phone was a razor2) and now i NEVER use it because of SWYPE function preloaded on phone... that thing is AWESOME! i haven't downloaded any pay apps yet but my fav free ones are:

KCRW free streaming radio
pandora
navigation
taskiller
movies
chess
mp3 download
scanner radio
tikl- touch to talk

M Sparks
08-04-2010, 08:26 AM
I thought Droid X was supposed to have Swype, but I don't see an option for it. I'm not sure I understand how it works.

When I picked up the model in the store and tried to type, I got gibberish. Perhaps this had Swype set up and I didn't know how to use it? I can type fine on mine, it's just slow.

PotVsKtl
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I just figured out how to force my Sprint Hero to use Verizon's towers. Hello carrier choice.

M Sparks
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
AHA! Switched to Swype. So awesome!

send me ctrpllrs
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks to whoever mentioned that Chad Ochocinco app. Funny stuff on there.

I love the last.fm app, listen to the radio on it all the time. Cool that it is now a little bit closer to the site, but still not quite useful enough to really use like I would the site.

I need to get some more apps.

canexplain
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I will challenge my HTC EVO against your Android any day :)

M Sparks
08-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, the HTC EVO IS an Android phone, so, have fun with that.

M Sparks
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Boooooo...just had my first total-pull-the-battery freeze up. Right before I was going to send a LONG text. :(

shoegazer76
08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I thought Droid X was supposed to have Swype, but I don't see an option for it. I'm not sure I understand how it works.

When I picked up the model in the store and tried to type, I got gibberish. Perhaps this had Swype set up and I didn't know how to use it? I can type fine on mine, it's just slow.

Swype is also an app for the earlier models but it will cost around 6 clams. The X comes with it dunno how to enable it tho cause I don't have it.

shoegazer76
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
When I tested the X in store it had swype on it. Maybe it doesn't come pre programed with it and you have to buy the app. Dunno for sure.

M Sparks
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
As I said above (though maybe not clearly), I switched the KB to Swype. It's in settings.

arbaba
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
That was a very healthy discussion,with some good and effective points,I really appreciate this thread,thanks for all the information.

PotVsKtl
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Eat two dicks.

mountmccabe
08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I tried uninstalling Handcent and reinstalling it but I am still getting two pop ups: 1 from Handcent, 1 from the native Messaging. [Note: I mean neither two (task bar) notifications nor two copies of each text; those are different issues]

I select Handcent as the default every chance I get and Messaging's defaults have all been cleared. Messaging's notifications have been turned off (I don't get task bar notifications, just pop ups.) And no, I have not rooted and as such cannot uninstall the native Messaging.

Up until now I have had Handcent's pop-up turned off... but that pop-up is half the reason to have Handcent; I like it reading texts to me, I like the quick reply space, etc.

I am going to try dealing with double pop ups for a while but I suspect it won't be that long until I just get rid of it again and keep it gone until I root.

mountmccabe
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Also in the other thread I have mentioned GalaxIR; that is now a "lite" type app and only allows you to play against the world on their servers for 5 minutes on, 30 minutes off. You can play the AI or against a close proximity friend via Bluetooth as much as you want, though. They do have GalaxIR Star as a paid app which gives you unlimited online gameplay. Neither version has ads.

I also just got Wordfeud so let me know if you want to play Scrabble (no TM.) This app is ad supported.

I also have just come across SystemPanel Lite, the free version of an app that is sort of a manual task killer, the fun part being that you can actually see things like Total CPU Time and Memory Usage for each app as well as monitor your overall usage and read the CPU clock and whatnot. Basically if you like playing with the performance tab of Windows Task Manager this app is for you. No ads.

oyeloca
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
download the appbrain market (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.appspot.swisscodemonkeys.apps) and fast web installer (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.appspot.swisscodemonkeys.apppusher)

and install apps in www.appbrain.com (http://www.appbrain.com/) =]

and you dont need froyo(2.2)

M Sparks
08-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I tried uninstalling Handcent and reinstalling it but I am still getting two pop ups: 1 from Handcent, 1 from the native Messaging. [Note: I mean neither two (task bar) notifications nor two copies of each text; those are different issues]

I select Handcent as the default every chance I get and Messaging's defaults have all been cleared. Messaging's notifications have been turned off (I don't get task bar notifications, just pop ups.) And no, I have not rooted and as such cannot uninstall the native Messaging.

Up until now I have had Handcent's pop-up turned off... but that pop-up is half the reason to have Handcent; I like it reading texts to me, I like the quick reply space, etc.

I am going to try dealing with double pop ups for a while but I suspect it won't be that long until I just get rid of it again and keep it gone until I root.

I'm actually getting three from some people if they use my Google Voice number. Seems like I get 2 for some e-mails as well.

meowlouder
08-15-2010, 08:22 PM
I have an HTC Hero and i'm not too happy with it. The lagging alone makes me want to throw it against a wall sometimes. I had the same problems with the battery life, but I bought the seidio extended life battery, which makes it last long as a normal phone. All in all I wish I got a blackberry.

mountmccabe
08-19-2010, 05:14 AM
Froyo arrived for me.

M Sparks
08-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Froyo arrived for me.

Ooooo...how can you tell?

faxman75
08-19-2010, 06:59 AM
You should get a message pop up telling you to restart your phone and an update is available and it will go through an install process, it's all pretty automatic. That's how the OTA update for 2.1 happened for me. I'm still waiting for the froyo update.

mountmccabe
08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
5 pages for Home, option for setting individual apps to automatic update in the market, improved features for the camera, new button at the bottom to show yr apps now has keys for phone and browser.

I have not seen how to install apps to the SD (I know the full System Panel I mentioned upthread'll do this) or Flash yet.

mountmccabe
08-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I have an HTC Hero and i'm not too happy with it. The lagging alone makes me want to throw it against a wall sometimes. I had the same problems with the battery life, but I bought the seidio extended life battery, which makes it last long as a normal phone. All in all I wish I got a blackberry.

Also I don't know much about the Hero but what've you tried to alleviate these problems? The lag and the battery life could be related; it sounds like you are trying to run more than it can handle. Do you have a lot of widgets running and do you leave bluetooth and wifi and autosync etc on all the time?

Also I am sorry, I can't imagine wanting a Blackberry. It must be very bad for you.

Seidio makes good stuff. I have a Droid case/car mount from them, mainly because they work together.

rskapcat
08-19-2010, 07:37 AM
We're replacing our Blackberries with Samsung Epic 4G Androids on 8/31.

downingthief
08-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I recently upgraded to th Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile. Still trying to find my way around it, but so far I am liking it.

faxman75
08-19-2010, 08:16 AM
or Flash yet.

I read an official statement a few days ago that said Flash would be available in the marketplace later this summer so it gave me the impression it wasn't included but on its way.

mountmccabe
08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Folks've been saying Flash is just over the horizon for so long that I'm starting to suspect tha Flash is cake.

meowlouder
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Also I don't know much about the Hero but what've you tried to alleviate these problems? The lag and the battery life could be related; it sounds like you are trying to run more than it can handle. Do you have a lot of widgets running and do you leave bluetooth and wifi and autosync etc on all the time?

Also I am sorry, I can't imagine wanting a Blackberry. It must be very bad for you.

Seidio makes good stuff. I have a Droid case/car mount from them, mainly because they work together.

Well I keep the running programs to a minimum (email and twitter) & I use the Advanced Task Killer App often. No widgets or bluetooth. I just mainly have issues with texting as my phone will ring like 10 minutes after it receives a text. Or when I attempt to answer a call, the touch screen won't respond so I end up missing the call 9 times out of 10. It's not thaaat bad though. Before the Hero, I had an ancient brick sized Palm Treo so this is definitely an upgrade.

& that car mount looks very handy.

wscmx13
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Homerun Battle 3D!

M Sparks
08-19-2010, 06:13 PM
5 pages for Home,

I hope not, because I've always had 7

mountmccabe
08-19-2010, 08:03 PM
They took them from you and gave 'em to me.

heart cooks brain
08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Edit: nevermind, figured it out

Boourns
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Is there an equivalent app to hipstamatic?

faxman75
08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
I finally got the froyo ota update. I'm not pleased as now my torrent-fu isn't working and I can no longer pause and play my astroplayer with my blutooth but I imagine it's just going to take some getting used to. torrent-fu will likely have to be set up again from scratch, that one hurt the most because it took me a long time to configure in the first place and I was just starting to get a lot of use out of it.

Anyway, here's the latest on the droids and what their updates may or may not be.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/motorola-upgrade-timeline-600x323.png

getbetter
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
i just a got a Droid x hopefully I don't regret not waiting for Droid fascinate .

oyeloca
09-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Is there an equivalent app to hipstamatic?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/org.urbian.android.tools.vintagecam

zimmy1222
09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
tess, i have the eris too. same problems. only solution verizon gave me was to get the advanced task killer app, and to use it every time you remember you have it. it's sped it up sliiiightly.

as for battery, screen brightness can be reduced, as said before. but i just got a car charger.

the phone is already discontinued for verizon, made all the accessories like 5 bucks (phone covers, screen protectors, etc) didn't include the car charger, 30 bucks.

thefrush
09-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Had my Incredible for a few months now, love it. Love ESPN ScoreCenter, has a great widget. The camera on this thing is seriously INCREDIBLE. From a couple nights ago, Megadeth & Slayer...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs404.snc4/46680_492578441631_556941631_7146561_6967405_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs214.ash2/47696_492628146631_556941631_7147176_1815056_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs434.snc4/47699_492628256631_556941631_7147178_4397250_n.jpg

M Sparks
09-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I've been having to hard reboot for the last couple of days...touchscreen freaked out the other day, not sure if it was from the direct sunlight when it was in the car charger, or the dog drooling on the screen. Just now, the screen locked up. I'm not at home and have been running the XM app off WiFi a lot more than usual, don't know if that's a coincidence or not. I just went into Advanced Task Killer and found a bunch of junk running...you'd think pulling the battery would kill that stuff.

meowlouder
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
wow thefrush that first picture is awesome

zimmy1222
09-06-2010, 12:31 AM
isn't there a phone with an 8 megapixel camera in it? those are pretty damn good pictures.

thefrush
09-06-2010, 12:58 AM
isn't there a phone with an 8 megapixel camera in it? those are pretty damn good pictures.

That would be my phone. HTC Incredible. Set the ISO to it's lowest setting, 1250, with no flash, auto focus. Amazed with the results.

M Sparks
09-06-2010, 06:11 AM
The Droid X has 8mp as well. I have not experimented with it yet, although it takes great pics in sunlight.

No freeze-ups since last night. It may have been the XM app...it got to a point where it wouldn't log me in anymore. I killed it completely and started over, now everything seems OK.

getbetter
09-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Oo i can post from my phone now

getbetter
09-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Last.fm is a great app.

jimmycrackcorn
09-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Shazam is another cool free app

heart cooks brain
10-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Is there an app that will broadcast the music on my droid to an fm frequency?

weeklymix
10-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Seeing that the Motorola Flipout has finally arrived for AT&T and has 2.1, I am purchasing it today. Oh, happy day.

Aphxtwinin
10-19-2010, 05:27 AM
I must say the Evo is the best phone I've ever had...match it with an iPad 3G and you have the best of both worlds and have attained mobile tech perfection...favorite apps are tango (free WiFi or 3g video conferencing Android to Android or Android to iOS), Angry Birds (best free game on market), Tunein (free radio app, gets all my stations from back in Miami

Aphxtwinin
10-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Seeing that the Motorola Flipout has finally arrived for AT&T and has 2.1, I am purchasing it today. Oh, happy day.

Why not get a froyo (2.2) phone? Cost? Switch over to Sprint amazon sells you the Evo for 100. Plus the 80 a month service (unlimited everything)

M Sparks
10-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Finally took some low light concert pics a few weeks ago with my Droid X. Not bad, although every other pic is usually a blurry mess.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs689.snc4/62891_444578054849_756524849_5083108_3339636_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs339.ash2/61920_444581529849_756524849_5083177_7243245_n.jpg

You can see I was pretty far away. Here's some with the zoom kicked in.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs677.snc4/61691_444577854849_756524849_5083104_5799499_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs336.ash2/61632_444577719849_756524849_5083102_2125233_n.jpg

Not that great overall, but for a camera phone at a distance? Pretty astounding.

Aphxtwinin
10-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Sony just released a new cell phone camera sensor...16MP full 1080p @ 30fps and 720p @ 60fps. Enhanced low light shooting. You won't see it in phones till probably next year, they're gonna be matched with the new dual core and 1.?ghz processors.

thefrush
10-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Angry Birds full version is out now.

HunterGather
10-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Which Android phone takes the best HD videos?
I reckon most of them take pretty sweet pics.

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, so maybe someone can answer?

I know that the Droid 2/R2D2 phone has not the best video, and not in HD.

weeklymix
10-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh man my phone kicks ass.

http://www.mobileincanada.com/images/news/rogers-motorola-flipout-android.jpg

wscmx13
10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not but does anyones droid resend text messages when you turn off/on your phone? If so, have you guys found a fix for it?

oyeloca
10-21-2010, 05:16 AM
i hope the coachella android app gets better

bug on your lip
10-22-2010, 07:27 AM
i should make a Ronnie app that allows you to shop any picture to make the person look like an underage girl

zimmy1222
10-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Which Android phone takes the best HD videos?
I reckon most of them take pretty sweet pics.

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, so maybe someone can answer?

I know that the Droid 2/R2D2 phone has not the best video, and not in HD.

probably the Incredible... like a 8 mp camera? not sure if it shoots video. but that's pretty good.

thefrush
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
^^ It shoots 720p video, I think the Droid X takes slightly better video tho.

PotVsKtl
10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rdm8c2ZfSDKd5l-dVy4SrnA&output=html

caco0283
11-03-2010, 05:07 PM
just got my htc evo.... i love this thing

dorkfish
11-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh man my phone kicks ass.

http://www.mobileincanada.com/images/news/rogers-motorola-flipout-android.jpg
What do you like about it? My girl wants it, and I think that it looks ridiculous.

getbetter
11-20-2010, 06:40 PM
i hope the coachella android app gets better

I hope so too.

I just found out that i was suppose to have a widget on my screen to actually have appkiller work .Now my battery last all day.

jimmycrackcorn
11-21-2010, 05:06 AM
AnGrY biRDs

meowlouder
11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not but does anyones droid resend text messages when you turn off/on your phone? If so, have you guys found a fix for it?

YES ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Demon phone. Do you have the HTC Hero? And no I have not figured out how to fix it.

canexplain
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Yea Denver went 4g on Sunday. I can get to cnn or whatever in about 15 secs on my phone. I can watch streams without any breakups. It's pretty cool.

caco0283
12-21-2010, 11:42 AM

I've never had that problem with my Evo but have you tried downloading a different text message app....I use Handcent SMS.

NachoCat
12-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Found a cool app for my android. Countdown clock. Now i have a little ticker on my screen that tells me how many days till Coachella. Nice little reminder. Just go to android market and search "countdown"

tessalasset
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM
So I'm looking to get a new Droid for Christmas, splitting it with my dad since I'm not up for a renewal for another year. But my Eris is getting ridiculous.

So I'm on Verizon. Which one should I get between the Droid x, Droid 2, and Droid Incredible? I use it a lot for email, internet, facebook, text messaging and regular phone right now. Eris is failing at being a regular phone. I'd like to do a lot more but it lags so much and kills the battery so quickly that I just stick with those things. I'd like to be able to play games and listen to music and eventually use it for work when my job starts soon. I'd also looove a camera either with a flash, or good in low light, because the Eris is just horrible at being a camera, period. 5mp means nothing when everything is blurry.

So yeah, thoughts?

suprefan
12-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Droid 2 has a keyboard still if thats a preference of yours. Dont get the Incredible. Just go and try out the X or the 2 and see what seems better. You cant go wrong with either. Droid x has a bigger screen, and a better camera on it.

Aphxtwinin
12-25-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd choose htc over motorola anyday. So I'd go HTC Incredible... I'm coming from the Evo which is the same but with a 4.3in screen

In all reality you should wait till CES...a lot of new phones are coming, especially with LTE

tessalasset
12-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Chris I'm actually leaning towards the Incredible. Why do you say don't get it? I have an Eris right now which is HTC so I'd probably be more comfortable with the Incredible. When I got my phone, I didn't think I'd need a slider since I loved my ipod touch keyboard without one, but the Eris keyboard is so bad I'm thinking I might need a slider after all. Aphx is your touch screen pretty easy to use? Similar to iphone? Eris was just too damn small.

Aphxtwinin
12-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I came from an htc hero, same thing as your Eris specwise. It sucked to type but with more real estate its perfect on the evo. The incredible is 3.7 so not as big but with the same hardware as evo. It will be a huge leap forward in terms of processing power and overaul awesome (on any of the phones). I just like the build of an htc over a motorola. Htc ages better and has a more substantial feel. But seriously wait till after CES (first week of Jan)

shakermaker113
12-26-2010, 07:11 AM
what is CES and what changes after it?

GnarVee
12-26-2010, 09:09 AM
I just got the Incredible for XMAS....my 2nd droid phone (had the Eris...but got destroyed when I rolled my car)...SO FAR SO GOOD!

NachoCat
12-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Just google "droid x vs incredible" there are some pretty good reviews out there highlighting pros and cons of each.

jackstraw94086
12-26-2010, 11:53 AM
So I'm looking to get a new Droid for Christmas, splitting it with my dad since I'm not up for a renewal for another year. But my Eris is getting ridiculous.

So I'm on Verizon. Which one should I get between the Droid x, Droid 2, and Droid Incredible? I use it a lot for email, internet, facebook, text messaging and regular phone right now. Eris is failing at being a regular phone. I'd like to do a lot more but it lags so much and kills the battery so quickly that I just stick with those things. I'd like to be able to play games and listen to music and eventually use it for work when my job starts soon. I'd also looove a camera either with a flash, or good in low light, because the Eris is just horrible at being a camera, period. 5mp means nothing when everything is blurry.

So yeah, thoughts?

The droid 2 hard keyboard is awkward, and the phone is bulky. The X is really fucking big, and unless you don't plan to put it in your pocket don't bother. The only advantage it has is the 780p video recording.

Everyone who talks shit about the Incredible is just pissed off they have a bigger phone that doesn't do as much or isn't as fast. It has an 8MP camera just like the X. Not as tall as the X and way thinner than the 2. It fits very easily in your pocket without being awkward. The battery life is no worse than the X, and can be mitigated in the same ways (turning off radios, services, etc.) Also, replacement batteries can be found very cheap and they're tiny, so you can always carry around a spare. HTC makes a solid phone and they've been doing it forever. Most tech site editors will say the incredible is the all-around best phone out at the moment (3G anyway)

Aphxtwinin
12-26-2010, 12:05 PM
what is CES and what changes after it?

Consumer Electronics Show, the first major electronics convention/conference of the year where ALL the major cell phone manufacturers will announce their new phones. The big things expected this year are more 4G phones for Tmobile and Verizon and Sprint. Dual Core phones, if we are lucky the Tegra 2 processor by Nvidia. IF you want the best value for your money wait until CES, you are gonna be getting a previous gen phone come January if you buy now.

thefrush
12-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Dont get the Incredible.

Why?

Absolutely love my Incredible.

jimmycrackcorn
01-04-2011, 12:21 AM
"Live hold'em pro" free app
Major time killer that will hypnotize you for hours and ruin your sleeping pattern

motionnn77
01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I have the hero. I wish I could have waited until the EVO came out, because i was due for an upgrade, but my HTC Touch literally self destructed on me and lost all of my info.

It's not a bad phone, but can't stand the keyboard. I downloaded an alternate keyboard, but my phone keeps switching it back to the original. I have nails and the original keyboard is so damn small that swiping is difficult.

I'm w/ sprint,so i have to wait another year and a half before i can get a nearly free upgrade.

PrettyRagdoll
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Anyone else have a Nexus One? I've compared mine to my friends Evo and it looked like her screen was kind of... washed out color-wise.

tessalasset
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm now highly considering upgrading to a Samsung Fascinate.

The verizon tech support rep just recommended it. She has an X, and I asked her what she'd recommend between X and Incredible, and she said actually, get a Fascinate. 18 GB memory (which I found out is the reason my phone lags so much... too many text messages stored on the phone). She said she and her husband upgraded their phones at the same time, he got a Fascinate, and she's jealous of him now and wishes she had gotten that instead of the X. And if I use my upgrade (actually if I can get my sister to let me use hers), I can get it for $199 after mail in rebate, and I can trade in my Eris for $132 on their site, and use that as a credit, so basically get a $580 phone for $70 bucks.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I upgraded my phone for the 1st time in 6 years. I got the Mytouch and so far I love it. But I really don't have anything to compare it too.

jackstraw94086
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM

The verizon tech support rep just recommended it. She has an X, and I asked her what she'd recommend between X and Incredible, and she said actually, get a Fascinate. 18 GB memory (which I found out is the reason my phone lags so much... too many text messages stored on the phone). She said she and her husband upgraded their phones at the same time, he got a Fascinate, and she's jealous of him now and wishes she had gotten that instead of the X. And if I use my upgrade (actually if I can get my sister to let me use hers), I can get it for $199 after mail in rebate, and I can trade in my Eris for $132 on their site, and use that as a credit, so basically get a $580 phone for $70 bucks.

A tech support person said this? The Fascinate's internal memory is 2GB, which is the same as both the X and the Incredible. That figure she's quoting you of of 18GB is 2MB internal + 16GB SD card. They give you the 16GB external SD card assuming that buyers are enticed by the 720p HD video recording, and because the X also has it. I find it hard to believe this is going to solve your speed issues. The Incredible comes with an 8GB SD card (because they don't expect users to take many videos), but 16GB cards can be found for $25, and all of them are upgradeable to 32GB.

If you take more pics than videos you're better off with either the the X or Inc. since they have 8MP cameras instead fo the Droid 2 or the Fascinate's 5MP.

Also the current specs on the Fascinate still say it's running Android 2.1, which is now old. I was told when researching that 2.2 makes big improvements on battery management (but you might want to confirm). I guess you can upgrade to 2.2, but make sure you can.

If you're OK with having a huge phone, I'd go with the X rather than the Fascinate.

tessalasset
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
A tech support person said this? The Fascinate's internal memory is 2GB, which is the same as both the X and the Incredible. That figure she's quoting you of of 18GB is 2MB internal + 16GB SD card. They give you the 16GB external SD card assuming that buyers are enticed by the 720p HD video recording, and because the X also has it. I find it hard to believe this is going to solve your speed issues. The Incredible comes with an 8GB SD card (because they don't expect users to take many videos), but 16GB cards can be found for $25, and all of them are upgradeable to 32GB.

If you take more pics than videos you're better off with either the the X or Inc. since they have 8MP cameras instead fo the Droid 2 or the Fascinate's 5MP.

Also the current specs on the Fascinate still say it's running Android 2.1, which is now old. I was told when researching that 2.2 makes big improvements on battery management (but you might want to confirm). I guess you can upgrade to 2.2, but make sure you can.

If you're OK with having a huge phone, I'd go with the X rather than the Fascinate.

I liked how everyone described the Fascinate as thin and light weight. Sounded better than the X which I hear is awkward. But yeah, one of the only criticisms I read about it was that it's still at 2.1, and Samsung keeps talking about a 2.2 update but it's been a long time (the complaints were going back about 6 months) and still nothing has happened.

How odd that she didn't mention the 2GB/16GB thing to me, because my main complaint with my Eris was that I have over 6GB of SD card storage left, but I keep getting low memory/space messages because all of my text messages save to my phone. I'd have the exact same problem with the Fascinate, just with way more SD storage left over. She did actually mention getting a third party app that would enable me to store my texts on the SD card. I guess that was her solution. I was stupid enough to actually think I could just never delete text messages and I'd be fine. I have over 2,000 on my phone right now.

All of this might be a moot point now cause there's a very good chance I'm just going to get the iPhone instead. I registered for it yesterday, and if I can use my sister's upgrade, pretty sure that's what I'm gonna go with. Tim, any good reasons I shouldn't? I really appreciate all your feedback.

NachoCat
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
If you are unfortunate enough to have T-Mobile. The G2 is pretty damn good.

jackstraw94086
01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Any good reasons you shouldn't get an iPhone? srsly?

I'll admit I'm an iphone hater, but I have one extremely valid point to make as far as the advantage of ANY other phone over the iphone. BATTERIES! I can, at any moment, pop out a battery and pop in a new one. I always carry a spare on me (they're tiny) just in case I get caught out for a long period of time or have need to use my phone intensely for a long period (i.e. lengthy trip needing GPS and someone's hogging the power). I found a deal for 2 extra batteries + charger for $10 on ebay (figured it was a low risk shot), and they work great. The battery thing is a huge deal to me. Maybe not for others.

I've heard rumors from a couple of folks who have been knowledgeable about past matters that there's a good chance battery life may not be as good on CDMA as it was on GSM. However that can't be proven until it's out there. Certainly not something Apple would admit. I wouldn't make a decision based on that rumor, but I mention it simply to give a nanny-nanny-hoo-hoo to iphoneys if it turns out to be true.

Another thing to remember about CDMA, you lose the iPhone's ability to talk on the phone and receive/transmit data simultaneously. So if your friend is on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, you are so not going to be her phone-a-friend. More realistically, if you like to make really long phone calls, don't expect to be able to use internet, get/send texts, send/read twitter, etc. until you finish. You also forfeit ability use use phone while using phone as a mobile hotspot too in in case you had interest in that. All things the rest of the verizon community deals with already though.

wmgaretjax
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I'll admit I'm an iphone hater, but I have one extremely valid point to make as far as the advantage of ANY other phone over the iphone. BATTERIES! I can, at any moment, pop out a battery and pop in a new one. I always carry a spare on me (they're tiny) just in case I get caught out for a long period of time or have need to use my phone intensely for a long period (i.e. lengthy trip needing GPS and someone's hogging the power). I found a deal for 2 extra batteries + charger for $10 on ebay (figured it was a low risk shot), and they work great. The battery thing is a huge deal to me. Maybe not for others.

This bugged me a lot on the iphone 3g. On the iPhone 4 it isn't an issue any more. I frequently go two days without charging, and I use my phone really heavily. In case disaster strikes, I have a portable battery charger that adds a half inch onto my iphone while it's plugged in to the port that I use.

That said, the biggest thing that might lead to me ditching iPhone next round (barring some extraordinary leap forward) is that I'm sick of having to jailbreak my device to use apps crucial to my workflow. I know that I'm probably in the minority of iPhone users in this regard, but I'm just sick of living in fear that something is gonna go wrong with my phone and I'm gonna be fucked because they'll find out it's jail broken and call my warranty void. This nightmare happened with my wife's ipad, it got into some state where I couldn't restore it so it was obviously jailbroken and I had to take it in to get it serviced. Luckily Apple usually just gives you a new one if the problem is easily demonstrated... I was lucky there, but hate dealing with the jailbreak baggage.

jackstraw94086
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
My friend works for the local Apple store and says that they are intentionally relaxing their replacement policy, as in they will more quickly replace broken devices. He's on the bleeding edge of iphone hack technology (which he regrets since he's constantly having to update and reload the thing manually since has it on T-Mobile) but he says if you're worried about getting tagged for jailbreaking, just break the damn thing and they'll have to replace it. Prove this out for yourself though before taking such a step.

As far as your battery life. I think you might just be lucky. I know battery life has improved, but everyone I know who's doing a lot of radio intensive things is reporting to need recharging far more frequently than you seem to. Also don't forget battery life decreases over time. Sometimes significantly. And plus, sometimes recharging is just not an option, and I don't want to resort to carrying a bulky thing in my pocket even if I could recharge. But again I put a higher premium on that than some I guess. I just always have a tiny charged spare in my wallet, and cycle through my spares once in a while. Problem solved. I'm lazy. Same reason I wear 30-day contacts.

EDIT: btw you did not want to be an iphone user stuck in JFK for 2 days this past christmas. Competition in the ticketing area for outlets was sometimes nasty, especially when some european transformer or adapter was bulky enough to prevent use of an adjacent one. I was stylin with my 3 batteries. Still a fucking miserable experience overall though.

wmgaretjax
01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I play all my music locally off my iphone. that makes a huge difference with battery life, no doubt. but yeah, the battery is a pretty shitty arrangement.

tessalasset
01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Any good reasons you shouldn't get an iPhone? srsly?

I've heard rumors from a couple of folks who have been knowledgeable about past matters that there's a good chance battery life may not be as good on CDMA as it was on GSM. However that can't be proven until it's out there. Certainly not something Apple would admit. I wouldn't make a decision based on that rumor, but I mention it simply to give a nanny-nanny-hoo-hoo to iphoneys if it turns out to be true.

Another thing to remember about CDMA, you lose the iPhone's ability to talk on the phone and receive/transmit data simultaneously. So if your friend is on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, you are so not going to be her phone-a-friend. More realistically, if you like to make really long phone calls, don't expect to be able to use internet, get/send texts, send/read twitter, etc. until you finish. You also forfeit ability use use phone while using phone as a mobile hotspot too in in case you had interest in that. All things the rest of the verizon community deals with already though.

wow, yeah, i didn't think about the battery issue. i definitely carry an extra around with me at all times. my phone's battery is horrendous. it dies if i text throughout the day. it dies if i check email throughout the day. it loses one bar within the first five minutes of using it. soooo, so shitty. it didn't occur to me that iphone batteries don't come out. that's a really good point, cause that's a huge concern for me.

also your point about not being able to do anything else if you're on the phone - seriously? iphone doesn't let you do that? i figured that was a normal feature of all smart phones and i love that i can do anything else on my phone while i'm talking to someone. and i definitely would be using mine as a mobile hotspot as well. these are excellent points against getting an iphone. geez, now i'm unsure again.

i still think the Fascinate is a good option. literally the only thing holding me back is the 2.1, and how long that's gonna take to actually be upgraded.

canexplain
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
If I have wi fi on, 4 G, surfing or whatever on my EVO, my battery will run down in less then 4 hours, grrrr. You can buy a battery that lasts longer, but it makes the phone twice as big. Isn't smaller one of the reasons we bought these little suckers. cr****

wmgaretjax
01-12-2011, 03:03 PM
also your point about not being able to do anything else if you're on the phone - seriously? iphone doesn't let you do that? i figured that was a normal feature of all smart phones and i love that i can do anything else on my phone while i'm talking to someone. and i definitely would be using mine as a mobile hotspot as well. these are excellent points against getting an iphone. geez, now i'm unsure again.

I can on my iphone. but i'm on at&t. from what I understand, CDMA (verizon) makes it very very difficult (impossible? i dunno, i'm speaking third or fourth hand) to make a call and transmit data at the same time, but you can do other things simultaneously that don't require the transfer of data.

Llama of Time
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM

I have a Fascinate. its my first smartphone so theres not much to compare it to, but I'm kinda regretting it and wishing I had waited for the iPhone 4 or the Droid Bionic. The Bionic has a dual core processor which should make everything run faster. Sounds like its the same size as the X though, if you don't like that. I do think the Fascinate's size is perfect. Screen is more than big enough without making the phone too big. fits in my pocket perfect and everything and isn't bulky. And also, the screen is really pretty and good quality, which is nice.

But it slows up a lot and the 2.1 thing is REALLY pissing me off. I bought the Fascinate in September thinking that the 2.2 update would be out a few weeks later as Samsung was promising, but its January and I still haven't got that update. I'm thinking about just trying to see if I can do an unofficial update to it because I heard those are floating around and I hear Samsung's aren't hard to hack at all, but I have a feeling I'm going to screw something up. But I mean seriously, 2.2 came out in May. Hell, 2.3 is out now. The phone came out in September. It should have been on there pre-installed, and the update should have came months ago

Also the battery life has gotten bad, but at first it was really good. I think I messed it up though because the outlet I usually use is loose, and my charger comes loose all the time on it in the middle of charging.

Honestly, I'd wait for a Droid Bionic or iPhone 4. But from the research I did before getting it, the Fascinate seemed a better choice than the Droid X.

wmgaretjax
01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
dual core? that's gotta eat shit battery wise.

tessalasset
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah CNET ranked the Fascinate over the X as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-6452_7-806.html

That does worry me that the update hasn't come out yet. That's like the one thing keeping me from going all out for the Fascinate.

tessalasset
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh, also, I REALLY like how the Fascinate's apps have the iphone layout. I really hate the vertical scrolling on my Eris, and the fact that it puts the apps in alphabetical order. I can't remember what each one is called all the time, so I end up having to just look through all of them. I like with my ipod touch that any apps I download just stay in the order I download them unless I change it. And the horizontal scrolling is way easier and more visually appealing.

jackstraw94086
01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I can on my iphone. but i'm on at&t. from what I understand, CDMA (verizon) makes it very very difficult (impossible? i dunno, i'm speaking third or fourth hand) to make a call and transmit data at the same time, but you can do other things simultaneously that don't require the transfer of data.

My small understanding on the matter it is impossible on CDMA (although perhaps not impossible in the "it only costs more" sense).
It has to do with how format of the information for data vs txt. When the radio is busy reading/transmitting one format, it cannot do the other.
For GSM this isn't an issue since the voice & data format is the same and the radio can just receive and transmit both simultaneously.

jackstraw94086
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Oh, also, I REALLY like how the Fascinate's apps have the iphone layout. I really hate the vertical scrolling on my Eris, and the fact that it puts the apps in alphabetical order. I can't remember what each one is called all the time, so I end up having to just look through all of them. I like with my ipod touch that any apps I download just stay in the order I download them unless I change it. And the horizontal scrolling is way easier and more visually appealing.

For what it's worth, the droid's page layout is really cool. Haven't played around with the motorola ones enough to compare but my incredible layout is really handy. very easy to swipe back and forth from screens and there's scenes on top of those, basically shitloads of apps and widgets at a very quick reach. There's always the one-touch alphabetical list available too available from anywhere.

plus if you don't get an android you miss out on this
T8EavuCJjC4

oyeloca
01-18-2011, 04:56 AM
where is the new coachella android app? :)

malcolmjamalawesome
01-18-2011, 05:23 AM
Does anyone have a rec on a good android blog that keeps you updated on new apps, etc?

__db_
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
where is the new coachella android app? :)

Indeed!

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
just ordered a galaxy s captivate. what should I do to it when it shows up

TheClares
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have a rec on a good android blog that keeps you updated on new apps, etc?

I would try this one...

http://www.androidcentral.com/

I am a member of PreCentral.net for WebOS, and this is run by the same people.

DANCE MAGIC
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
I just got an Evo Shift. I used to have a Palm Pre, and this is my first android phone.

So far, I'm a big fan.

weeklymix
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
My Nexus S arrives in 4 days.

mountmccabe
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
just ordered a galaxy s captivate. what should I do to it when it shows up

I would play around with it some first to get an idea of what it can do, stock. Make sure you know how to make calls, etc (I know, but I know some people who've had issues.)

Then work on customizing it to your liking. You can do a lot to how it looks and sounds.

Then start loading up with apps. Move as many of them to the SD Card as you can (though of course not every app supports it.)

One thing that may help you find options is AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com/), which is an app review site. You can get an AppBrain app for your phone so then it'll know what you already have on your phone and can access their reviews, etc from there, too (but other than that I find that app worthless.)

I recommend the Dolphin HD Browser and Handcent SMS for texting, etc. I mean, I'd try the stock browser and messaging apps first then go to these to see what else can be done.

I recommend SystemPanel Lite (actually I recommend the full version but try the free version first,) which does many things. You can use it to install/uninstall apps, you can also use it to create backups of your apps, which can be handy in instances when you don't like an update. It is also sort of a manual task killer, the fun part being that you can actually see things like Total CPU Time and Memory Usage for each app as well as monitor your overall usage and read the CPU clock and whatnot... and eventually you will realize that with Froyo (Android 2.2) killing tasks generally doesn't accomplish anything. Basically if you like playing with the performance tab of Windows Task Manager this app is for you. No ads.

I like GPS Status quite a bit; it can be used to mark a spot (I set it to my camp at Coachella and never get lost) and also works as a level, a compass and various other things.

Do you use Yelp!? Kayak? Flickr (then try Flickr Free, the only Flickr app I've found that's worth a damn.) Barcode Scanner is useful and integrates into various other apps, Astro is the file manager I like.

Rings Extended can make it easier to browse your music for use as ringtones and notifications.

Which brings to mind: make your own ringtones and notifications. I love being able to cut up mp3s and put them on my phone. My goal is to have every contact have a different ringtone and every app that allows custom notifications to have its own notification. My most frequently contacted friends have their own ringtones and I am doing well with the notifications, too.

There are also plenty of games. I found a Solitaire game, Texas Hold 'em (has online play,) Set (like the card came,) Angry Birds, Cestos (can play online, cross-platform even,) Mancala and Armored Strike (an artillery game like Worms.)

I have mentioned GalaxIR; that is now a "lite" type app and only allows you to play against the world on their servers for 5 minutes on, 30 minutes off. You can play the AI or against a close proximity friend via Bluetooth as much as you want, though. They do have GalaxIR Star as a paid app which gives you unlimited online gameplay. Neither version has ads.

I love Wordfeud which is Scrabble. The free app is ad-supported; or you can pay a couple bucks and get rid of the ads. Apparently the makes of Words With Friends (for the iPhone) are working on a version for Android and allowing cross-platform play, which would be great.

mattpach
01-27-2011, 12:12 AM
I bought the Droid 2 a couple of days ago. I really like it so far. They keyboard is going to take some hetting used to i keep hitting Alt instead of A.

Also of you're bored ROM Gripper is really awesome. Tons of Gameboy, NES, SNES, and Sega games are available on it.

SFChrissy
01-27-2011, 05:36 AM
My blackberry took a bath in red wine last night and need to get a new phone today...I'm with sprint and have to say the HTC Evo is pretty damn sexy...any recommendations,please???

canexplain
01-27-2011, 05:43 AM
My blackberry took a bath in red wine last night and need to get a new phone today...I'm with sprint and have to say the HTC Evo is pretty damn sexy...any recommendations,please???

SFC, I had one of the first EVO's so I have had mine a while. Except for battery life, I love love my phone. cr****

GeezrRckr
02-19-2011, 08:27 PM
sorry for the dive bomb, but i have a friend who has an Android and wants to know if there's an app that changes the Android GUI to an iPhone GUI. our cursory search didn't bring up anything obvious.

tvm

TallGuyCM
02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Just got my first Android phone, a Motorola i1. It's a good phone that has the direct connect feature that I need for work, so I'm happy.

indietron
02-20-2011, 12:53 AM
EDIT: Nevermind I went through the thread and found what i was looking for

Aphxtwinin
02-20-2011, 07:10 AM
The Evo is THE only phone to get on Sprint, Epic 4G is good too but I prefer the HTC UI over the Samsung UI..plus HTC makes better phones IMO. You can get this for extended battery life, i have it and it works great. Your only gonna get about a day, and the first week is gonna be shit while you stretch out the battery. Also ill post a link to the Otterbox case i use which is perfection in terms of cases...
http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-1750-Extended-Battery/dp/B003OQUKMA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1298217979&sr=8-10

http://www.otterbox.com/HTC-EVO-Commuter-Series-Case/HTC4-EVO4G,default,pd.html?dwvar_HTC4-EVO4G_color=20&start=2&cgid=htc-evo-4g-cases

SFC, I had one of the first EVO's so I have had mine a while. Except for battery life, I love love my phone. cr****
works wonders: http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-1750-Extended-Battery/dp/B003OQUKMA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1298217979&sr=8-10

sorry for the dive bomb, but i have a friend who has an Android and wants to know if there's an app that changes the Android GUI to an iPhone GUI. our cursory search didn't bring up anything obvious.

tvm

i think he will have to root to do that, or maybe ADW launcher (in the market) will work...not entirely sure.

scenicworld
02-20-2011, 09:26 AM
if you're rooted, you can load a custom rom like MIUI to make your android phone look a lot like iOS.

zircona1
02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I got a Sprint EVO Shift not too long ago. One app I really like is Shortyz, which downloads several crosswords daily, from USA Today, LA Times, etc. It's free as well.

There doesn't seem to be an app to download the NY Times crossword, is that only on the iPhone?

tessalasset
02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I decided to just wait til the iPhone 5 comes out so I'm sticking with my shitty droid for right now.

TallGuyCM
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I just went to google for the first time and it was in Spanish. How do I fix that?

Edit: nvm, fixed it.

mountmccabe
02-26-2011, 08:22 AM
A couple new apps of note:

Words With Friends Free (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zynga.words&feature=search_result) debuted 12 days ago and got a quarter million downloads in the first two days.

This is a Scrabble app and its real draw is the cross-platform support; you can play friends/randoms with an iOS phone. The "Pass & Play" option for single phone play amongst pairs in close proximity is nice, too (though I haven't tried it.)

The downsides are significant, though. It is very clearly imported from iOS: it is ugly and cluttered, doesn't use the menu button, can't be moved to the SD card and is barely customizable (they have already updated to allow us to turn off the sound and customize how often it checks for new notifications but those are just task bar notifications; no sounds or vibrations.) There is also, as of yet, no paid option... which means you get an add for an app that you have to click through after every turn.

Still, cross-platform support is huge and wonderful and is not a thing at which we should scoff.

When I'm playing friends with Android phones, though, I'd rather use WordFeud (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hbwares.wordfeud.full) (that link is to the paid app; they have a free version (with ads) as well and there is no issue playing between the two.)

And, if anyone wants to play, I am mountmccabe on both (as well as most everything else: GalaxIR Star, Armored Strike, Cestos, TexasHoldemLive, etc.)

mountmccabe
02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Also I got distracted. The other one I meant to mention was Coachella Lineup (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.xmf.coachline).

This is NOT the official Coachella app (as far as I can tell) but it does have the 2011 lineup. You can sort alphabetically, by day or by genre. (Yes, some of the genres choices are a little silly.)

On the page for each artist you have links to the artist website, the Wikipedia page on the artist and a YouTube video (though in about half the ones I tried the video was not playable on a mobile device.)

tessalasset
02-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Based on your description I'd rather keep playing it on my ipod touch and just wait for wifi. But add me! I'm sure you'll kick my ass. user name is tessalasset of course.

Stickjohn
02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Anyone have a Motorola Atrix yet? Interesting concept. From the reviews I've read it sounds like a good phone but the accessories are expensive.

faxman75
02-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Hello music loving friends. I have an app recommendation for you all. As big as the memory cards can be on these phones there is nothing like having access to all of your music on your hard drive while you are away from home. I have tried a few different apps over the past year but nothing works as smooth and as good as audiogalaxy.

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/

Basically you go to the website from your home PC and download this program. It's free. Then the program scans your pc for all your media files and you set the folders you want it to scan regularly for when you add more music to your pc. This can take a while depending on how large your music collection is but don't worry it will keep scanning in the background. Then you can find audiogalaxy in the marketplace and download it. It's also free there. Today I am at work and listening to my music. Your desktop at home just has the program running in the system tray. Anyway, just thought I would share this fantastic app and program since it's free and works very well. Yes this obviously can be a battery drain but i'm plugged in almost all day at work anyway and yes if your internet goes down at home while you are at work the stream will be interupted.

Another nice feature is if you are at work and you want to just plug your headphones into your pc just go to the audiogalaxy site and log in. You will be able to find your entire music collection there and listen from the PC as well.

downingthief
02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Based on your description I'd rather keep playing it on my ipod touch and just wait for wifi. But add me! I'm sure you'll kick my ass. user name is tessalasset of course.

I'm on it too under...wait for it...downingthief.

mountmccabe
03-26-2011, 10:14 AM

The case I got for my Droid from Seidio is now about a year old and it is showing signs of age. The case isn't as tight as it once was and it is starting to become an issue. I specifically notice the looseness on the back piece when I type and the front piece has actually come off a few times when I have removed the phone from my pocket.

Since it went on I have only purposely removed the front piece a couple times (to dust) though I have removed the back piece quite a bit more than that to replace the battery (though, still, I'm only talking maybe 30 times over the year.)

Maybe it would've been better if I hadn't always used the top right corner to remove the back piece, it certainly would be better if I didn't sometimes fidget with it, but, hey. The case wasn't that expensive and my Droid is in great shape so when I get my next Android device I will certainly still look to Seidio for a case.

Boourns
03-26-2011, 10:49 AM
A couple new apps of note:

Words With Friends Free (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zynga.words&feature=search_result) debuted 12 days ago and got a quarter million downloads in the first two days.

This is a Scrabble app and its real draw is the cross-platform support; you can play friends/randoms with an iOS phone. The "Pass & Play" option for single phone play amongst pairs in close proximity is nice, too (though I haven't tried it.)

The downsides are significant, though. It is very clearly imported from iOS: it is ugly and cluttered, doesn't use the menu button, can't be moved to the SD card and is barely customizable (they have already updated to allow us to turn off the sound and customize how often it checks for new notifications but those are just task bar notifications; no sounds or vibrations.) There is also, as of yet, no paid option... which means you get an add for an app that you have to click through after every turn.

Still, cross-platform support is huge and wonderful and is not a thing at which we should scoff.

When I'm playing friends with Android phones, though, I'd rather use WordFeud (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hbwares.wordfeud.full) (that link is to the paid app; they have a free version (with ads) as well and there is no issue playing between the two.)

And, if anyone wants to play, I am mountmccabe on both (as well as most everything else: GalaxIR Star, Armored Strike, Cestos, TexasHoldemLive, etc.)

This app desperately needs an update. If I run Words with Friends, then leave and run an app like facebook or twitter or web, the app instantly crashes and forces a close and I have to go to app settings and delete all data for the app before it will ever open again, and then when open it again I have to re-enter my email address and wait a few minutes for it to load updates. This is the process I must endure pretty much every time I try to open the damn thing.

mountmccabe
03-26-2011, 11:19 AM
They have updated several times... yet it doesn't seem to get any better. After I finish my run in the board tournament I am going to apologize to everyone else I am playing with and uninstall.

I will still be playing folks via WordFeud so folks feel free to challenge me there.

PrettyRagdoll
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Has anyone else found while playing Wordfeud that there are certain words it almost never accept, while still accepting made up words? Oh and I'm cmoorerun there if anyone wants to play

jimmycrackcorn
03-26-2011, 04:21 PM
gf recently bought a samsung galaxy s 4g... she's happy with it but what is REALLY NICE is the accessory she got with it... it is a charging dock with an extra battery... you can charge the spare battery WHILE IT IS NOT IN THE PHONE!!! that is freaking awesome for these new phones that are using so much battery for all their functions... when she gets home from work just switches out the battery and full power again! or on long days out she just brings the extra battery with her...

mountmccabe
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Has anyone else found while playing Wordfeud that there are certain words it almost never accept, while still accepting made up words? Oh and I'm cmoorerun there if anyone wants to play

It seems to me to be following fairly real Scrabble rules. I can't think of anything I actually expected to work that didn't. And quite a few times I have looked up words an opponent played that I didn't recognize and see that they are real. It's nice having a Dictionary app right there.

Speaking of which, I am fed up with the Dictionary.com app. Version 2.0 is very slow and always opens up on the Word Of The Day feature... which is not something I ever want to see. Damn I wish I had an archive of an older version.

EDIT: OH SHIT! I DO! I love System Panel.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Dictionary apps they've used?

downingthief
03-27-2011, 10:31 AM
They have updated several times... yet it doesn't seem to get any better. After I finish my run in the board tournament I am going to apologize to everyone else I am playing with and uninstall.

I will still be playing folks via WordFeud so folks feel free to challenge me there.

I ran the latest update, and have had no issues.

PrettyRagdoll
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
It seems to me to be following fairly real Scrabble rules. I can't think of anything I actually expected to work that didn't. And quite a few times I have looked up words an opponent played that I didn't recognize and see that they are real. It's nice having a Dictionary app right there.

Speaking of which, I am fed up with the Dictionary.com app. Version 2.0 is very slow and always opens up on the Word Of The Day feature... which is not something I ever want to see. Damn I wish I had an archive of an older version.

EDIT: OH SHIT! I DO! I love System Panel.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Dictionary apps they've used?

I'm up! Let's play!

But getting the Wordfeud to accept, "Zen" is like a game of Russian Roulette. I've noticed a few other words that have this problem but none as bad as zen

mountmccabe
03-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey, so when I bought my Droid one of the apps it came with that I was annoyed with was the Amazon MP3 app. I was like, I will never use that! Then I wanted to listen to something new while I was away from my computer enough that I used the app to buy an album. And have since used it for some free daily mp3s, etc.

Well Amazon just turned it into their Cloud Player. Everyone gets 5 GB of cloud storage for free and can play it streaming on their Android device, computer, whatever. You get a free upgrade* to 20 GB with a qualifying mp3 album purchase. And any albums you purchase (going forward) from the Amazon mp3 store goes in your cloud (as well as your computer and/or device) without taking up any of your cloud allotment.

You can pay for even more storage (up to 1000 GB, if you wanna pay a grand a year) if you really want to but, holy damn, I just about tripled the music I can play from my phone. With this and my SD card I am nearing 30 GB (plus purchases) of available music. Woohoo!

* for 1 year

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Just started a new job. Got my Blackberry last wk. The company uses Verizon. Unfortunately, my entire apartment complex appears to be a Verizon black zone and I'll be working from home 2-3 days a wk. You'd think they'd have all of Los Angeles covered. I barely get half a bar in one tiny corner of my apartment. Other than that, zero bars, calls go straight to voicemail, outgoing calls dropped every 30 seconds or so and call quality is terrible. Had a couple of friends over who also have Verizon... same situation, so I don't think it's related to the phone itself.

So, I'm going to keep AT&T (my current personal service), upgrade to a smartphone and my company's going to pay for it. It will be 50 business/50 fun. A decent email client is a must (but that seems to be fairly standard these days) and good call quality is important as this will, in effect, be my office phone. I don't care about gaming. And, yeah, I know when it comes to Aps Blackberry lags far behind Android and Iphone. BUT, if you had to choose between these which would you pick...?

Motorolla Atrix
HTC Inspire
iPhone 4
Blackberry Torch

BeaverCat
03-30-2011, 06:51 AM
I too just got my first Android phone. The Samsung Galaxy 4G S. Is the Coachella Android app out yet?

jimmycrackcorn
03-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I too just got my first Android phone. The Samsung Galaxy 4G S. Is the Coachella Android app out yet?

i have it loaded but it's not updated yet (still has last years lineup) i assume once the set times are out it will update lineup?

scenicworld
03-30-2011, 09:23 AM
some person on the boards made a coachella lineup app for android, but it doesn't have all the cool stuff that the iphone version has like friend finder and coachooser.

the android app (if ever developed) should definitely include a countdown widget so I can obsessively start at it in meetings.

faxman75
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey, so when I bought my Droid one of the apps it came with that I was annoyed with was the Amazon MP3 app. I was like, I will never use that! Then I wanted to listen to something new while I was away from my computer enough that I used the app to buy an album. And have since used it for some free daily mp3s, etc.

Well Amazon just turned it into their Cloud Player. Everyone gets 5 GB of cloud storage for free and can play it streaming on their Android device, computer, whatever. You get a free upgrade* to 20 GB with a qualifying mp3 album purchase. And any albums you purchase (going forward) from the Amazon mp3 store goes in your cloud (as well as your computer and/or device) without taking up any of your cloud allotment.

You can pay for even more storage (up to 1000 GB, if you wanna pay a grand a year) if you really want to but, holy damn, I just about tripled the music I can play from my phone. With this and my SD card I am nearing 30 GB (plus purchases) of available music. Woohoo!

* for 1 year

John, i'm not sure if you saw my above post about Audio Galaxy but I stream my entire 100+ GB collection for free. Nothing to pay. I use it every single day at work and rarely ever have any issues. It streams perfectly and solves any limitations on memory the phone might have (I have a 16gb card which is pretty big as well).

I just find it interesting that Amazon is charging a grand a year for something Audiogalaxy seems to be doing for free.

FoamFinger86
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm kinda kicking my own ass right now. I upgraded to an HTC Inspire 4G. As I am a complete andriod n00b, can anyone tell me, beside a task killer app, what I should be doing to preserve the battery life. It's going to die at Coachella, as I am with ATT. fml.

jackstraw94086
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm kinda kicking my own ass right now. I upgraded to an HTC Inspire 4G. As I am a complete andriod n00b, can anyone tell me, beside a task killer app, what I should be doing to preserve the battery life. It's going to die at Coachella, as I am with ATT. fml.

there are of battery life tricks (screen dimming, shutting off radios)
But when it comes down to it. Big newer phones have shit battery life (although for what you get out of them you really can't complain).

And don't bother with a task killer app. Those only made a difference on Android 2.1 and earlier. They make no difference now and can disrupt your system at times.

However, you can get cheap replacement batteries on ebay (example (http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-1600mAh-battery-Wall-charger-HTC-Inspire-4G-/180641060367?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a0f0bd60f)). China knockoffs but they work just the same. I have 5 batteries for my HTC phone and I always carry a charged spare with me. When flying I carry all 5.

scenicworld
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
i stopped using task killers because they seem counterintuitive to saving battery life since it's constantly looking for running apps. if you set it to only run when you want to use it, it can help to quickly close a bunch of apps at once, but that's all I use it for.

here are the things I do to help battery life:

*turn the brightness down
*turn off location/GPS
*turn off bluetooth
*quit unnecessary apps with ATK (including ATK)
*turn off HTC Sync
*Turn off WiFi (unless it's connected to Wifi since Wifi uses less than wireless network (3g/4g)

there is also a program called JuiceDefender that can be set to turn on your wireless for 1 minute every 5 minutes to cut down on battery, but I've found it not to be very reliable and like having ATK run all the time, seems to use as much battery as it saves.

jackstraw94086
03-31-2011, 01:09 PM

* for 1 year

I balked at the new amazon app store, but this cloud player is compelling.

mountmccabe
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, task killers are entirely unecessary. You can see what is using your battery (at least my Droid has that functionality; I would imagine most other Android smart phones do as well) and when I look the highest percentage is almost always the display and then, quite a ways down, any app I've been using.

And yeah, replaceable batteries for the win. I won't need to charge while at Coachella/camping.

faxman75
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Agreed. I have 4 back up batteries. I have my display dimmed to the max and background data and sync turned off unless I need them. No task killer.

Bored Engineers
04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Check out our new unofficial Coachella app for Android!

Sort artists by name, time, stage and filter by day. Save artists to favorites for later viewing. Artist details with pictures and links to relevant websites. Countdown and links to Coachella information included.

The donate version has a car locator with up to 3 separate locations and a Now Playing feature for at the festival.

More updates to come, including sorting by genre, etc.

Check it out!

Search "Coachella 2011" or click here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mazimi.allcoachellalite for the free version and here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mazimi.allcoachella for the donate version.

getbetter
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
http://www.audiogalaxy.com

This is probably my new favorite app. It lets you stream music from your computer onto your phone.

faxman75
04-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes, see previous page of this thread. I use it daily. It's perfect.

jackstraw94086
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
fucking firewalls

M Sparks
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Can Audiogalaxy stream directly off an NAS, or do I need to have a PC running?

tessalasset
04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Sweet, I'm signing up for that tonight. Thanks Zach.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know how to delete the Facebook app? The Task Killer doesn't allow it so, I'm sort of stuck.

jackstraw94086
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
you usually can't delete apps that came pre-loaded on your phone (without hacking it)

scenicworld
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know how to delete the Facebook app? The Task Killer doesn't allow it so, I'm sort of stuck.
if you remove it from your "accounts" it should at least prevent it from running most of the time.

kreutz2112
05-15-2011, 02:00 PM
So after 4 years of dedicated iPhone use I made the switch to Android yesterday and bought a Droid Charge. So far I am pretty happy about my decision. Can anyone recommend a good media player app?

RedHotSgtPeppers
05-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Mobo Player is good for videos. Personally, I'm on a Samsung Captivate, rooted, running FireFly 3.0. I didn't run the stock OS long enough before rooting it to know if the stock OS had an app simply called "Music," but I use that for obviously, playing music.

Mobo is good for movies and videos.

mountmccabe
05-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Cubed or 3 is what I use for musics. It is pretty and nice with the browsing via album covers and such.

canexplain
05-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Has anyone tried the just released version of Citrix for the HTC EVO? tnx cr****

chairmenmeow47
05-25-2011, 09:28 AM
i'm about 99% sure i'm getting a motorola droid 2 global for verizon, with the slide-out keyboard.

i'm getting a fancy phone because my online school now has an app to do your work from your phone. it's only for the iphone now, but they are currently developing one for the android as well. so that leaves my choices to iphone or android.

anyone have anything to say about either of these two phones that i need to hear? the iphone looks cool and all, but i just can't imagine typing out my participation and discussion posts using a touchscreen keyboard.

faxman75
05-25-2011, 09:32 AM
My phone has been acting a bit wonky ever since I fell on the trail a couple of weeks ago, I have the original Motorola Droid (Verizon). It was restarting all by itself quite a bit for a little while but I think it may have been the battery that I had in it when it hit the rocks. If it keeps acting up though I want the Droid 2 Global. I love droid and verizon.

canexplain
05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
i'm about 99% sure i'm getting a motorola droid 2 global for verizon, with the slide-out keyboard.

i'm getting a fancy phone because my online school now has an app to do your work from your phone. it's only for the iphone now, but they are currently developing one for the android as well. so that leaves my choices to iphone or android.

anyone have anything to say about either of these two phones that i need to hear? the iphone looks cool and all, but i just can't imagine typing out my participation and discussion posts using a touchscreen keyboard.

Ok so this is sexist but most of the women I know donít like the touch screens because of long fingernails. I love the touch screen but then I have an EVO which has a rather large keyboard. I love my phone in general though. 4G is pretty cool also Ö. Cr****

chairmenmeow47
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
i don't have claws, but thanks for the tip.

Aphxtwinin
05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
So anyone with an Evo and a contract renewal can get the new EVO 3D for $100. The contract price is $200 but when you trade in your EVO you get another $100 so its comes out to $100 for whats gonna be the next elite phone. $500 is the off contract price. This offer comes from Radioshack

canexplain
05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
So anyone with an Evo and a contract renewal can get the new EVO 3D for $100. The contract price is $200 but when you trade in your EVO you get another $100 so its comes out to $100 for whats gonna be the next elite phone. $500 is the off contract price. This offer comes from Radioshack

I had to call Sprint yesterday and they told me that. I just bought a 3d TV I''m trying to figure out .... :) ... Aphx, did you get your new vehicle? cr****

Aphxtwinin
05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
not yet, waiting on the phone call from the dealer...but should be today! enjoy the 3D:D:D:D:D

Wheres the beef?
05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S and if so do you recommend it?

mountmccabe
05-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Ivy, I love my Droid (I may have mentioned this at some point.) I don't have the 2 but Tiffany does; feel free to ask her opinion on that specific phone.

Your ringtone is "Date with the Night."

TallGuyCM
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Does anyone ever have trouble with the Droid market? I have a Motorola i1 and the market doesn't have super common things like Angry Birds, Words with Friends, etc.

weeklymix
05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Does anyone ever have trouble with the Droid market? I have a Motorola i1 and the market doesn't have super common things like Angry Birds, Words with Friends, etc.

The Motorola i1 runs Android 1.5 (Cupcake). Some apps including Angry Birds and Words with Friends are not supported by 1.5 and will not show up in your marketplace if you're still running the same version of the OS that came with the phone when you bought it.

At this time, Motorola has no plans on updating the i1 but depending on your carrier you might be able to root the phone and update the OS and in turn potentially run some of the newer apps on there.

It's less of an issue with functionality and more of an issue of compatibility. Hope this answers your question.

That being said, if you love your phone and have to have a version of Angry Birds, it will be available for your device sometime later in the year called Angry Birds "Lite" or something like that. From the developers:

We are currently developing a lighter solution to run Angry Birds on lower end Android devices. This does not mean lighter gameplay or a lesser amount of levels, but a game experience optimized for devices with less processing power.

weeklymix
05-25-2011, 06:10 PM

The Galaxy S II is almost out all across the world so the price of the original Galaxy S will be dropping. If you can afford it go for the Galaxy S II, if you're looking for a better and powerful option for your wallet, yes I recommend it. Samsung has done a great job with the majority of their Android devices.

TallGuyCM
05-25-2011, 06:25 PM
The Motorola i1 runs Android 1.5 (Cupcake). Some apps including Angry Birds and Words with Friends are not supported by 1.5 and will not show up in your marketplace if you're still running the same version of the OS that came with the phone when you bought it.

At this time, Motorola has no plans on updating the i1 but depending on your carrier you might be able to root the phone and update the OS and in turn potentially run some of the newer apps on there.

It's less of an issue with functionality and more of an issue of compatibility. Hope this answers your question.

That being said, if you love your phone and have to have a version of Angry Birds, it will be available for your device sometime later in the year called Angry Birds "Lite" or something like that.

Cool. Yeah I don't really care about any of the apps that much, I just thought it was odd they weren't available to me.

RedHotSgtPeppers
05-25-2011, 07:43 PM

YES YES YES YES YES. I have the Samsung Captivate, and I love it to death. I rooted it, and flashed FireFly 3.0 on it (TouchWiz isn't too great), and it runs super fast and way smooth. Yeah, the Galaxy S II is coming out in September(?), so if you plan on getting one, I would wait. But I found mine on Craigslist for $150, and I plan on keeping it for at least 2 years.

Pros: Fast, reliable, easy to root, easy to flash, great camera, great camcorder, brilliant screen.

Cons: Battery life is eh (maybe because I flashed a new ROM when it wasn't at 100% battery life), I was maybe getting 7 hours of heavy use out of it, but now I'm getting 12+hours of good use, after recalibrating the battery.

Aphxtwinin
06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
for anyone with an HTC EVO 4G, go to HTC System Update...Gingerbread awaits you

Aphxtwinin
06-03-2011, 07:57 AM
The Galaxy S II is almost out all across the world so the price of the original Galaxy S will be dropping. If you can afford it go for the Galaxy S II, if you're looking for a better and powerful option for your wallet, yes I recommend it. Samsung has done a great job with the majority of their Android devices.

the biggest problems with Samsung is that they are very crappy with updates to your phone

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-03-2011, 09:25 AM
the biggest problems with Samsung is that they are very crappy with updates to your phone

But that doesn't matter when you are rooting your phone and flashing custom ROMs for it. I was on 2.2 for a while, but I flashed CyanogenMod7, and BOOM I was on Gingerbread 2.3.4. And it ran pretty smooth. I'm on FireFly 3.0 now (back to 2.2), and there is ZERO lag on it. It runs like a dream. Forget Samsung's official updates, and go the way of the modder.

Aphxtwinin
06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
not everyone is a tech geek and feels comfortable doing this, also rooting does not provide enough benefits for the average consumer to take the risk of voiding their warranty if something were to go wrong.

weeklymix
06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
There's a completely different conversation to be had here about whether or not being able to root your phone qualifies you as a "tech geek," but if you do it properly with Universal Androot, you shouldn't need to worry about your phone's warranty unless you're stupid enough to physically break it on top of rooting it. Regardless of what phone you have relying on the manufacturer to provide for you is probably dumber than assuming you can't root your phone.

Aphxtwinin
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
don't get me wrong, im all for rooting...i don't do it because it does not provide any real benefits for me. and android was specifically made for rooting so its mostly safe, and i guess tech savvy would be more appropriate than geek

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
The thing is, you can unroot your phone with a simple click of a button with the right program, thus reactivating your warranty. I bought a faulty Captivate from a guy on craigslist and it was rooted, but I was able to unroot it with ease and AT&T replaced it with no questions asked.

mountmccabe
06-06-2011, 06:39 PM
My batteries do not do very well in the cold. I took some spare batteries camping and every morning when I would wake up my batteries would be near dead. I replaced one battery when it was reading 5% life and my phone actually shut down due to low battery on the other one. This wasn't even that cold, like 10 or 15 C.

When I got back home and they were sitting at room temperature (so 25 C or so) the one was at 40% and the other at 20%. Of course these percentages are not precise (I don't remember more precise details) but was surprised that there was that big of a difference.

Wheres the beef?
06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
What does everyone think about antivirus for android phones? Yay or Nay?

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-08-2011, 10:08 PM

They seem pointless.

Aphxtwinin
06-09-2011, 06:16 AM
anyone else in the Google Music Beta? its pretty awesome, however it does take forever to upload everything

faxman75
06-09-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm obsessed with bluetooth lately. I wonder if this means quicker cancer for me, lets hope not. I just got a great light, soft pair of headphones for $30 on ebay. They are Arctic P311. They aren't great for jogging and exercise because they do tend to slip off my ears though not easily, they were fine for the first half of my hike yesterday. They are great for work though. I hate wires and the freedom of leaving my desk to get something off the printer or to go into our kitchen without taking the phone or having wires get in the way is well worth it. I'm not an audifile so i'm not too sure about highs and lows but they got great reviews on amazong as well. I personally think the sound they get is fantastic!

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Sound-ORACO-ERM28-GBA01-Headphones-Black/dp/B0040Z1EHY

I have the original Motorloa Droid and it suffers from the headphone jack problem which means it's kind of loose and causes lots of static when I have it connected to the aux in my car. It got so bad that I decided to get a bluetooth adapter for my car. It was about $50 but worth it to be able to pick up my phone and scroll through to my gps or music without worrying about a cord. This devide also works with stereos and other devices around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBridge-mini-jack-Rx-Bluetooth/dp/B0038MA11U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307630998&sr=1-1

Finally, a great pair of bluetooth headphones for working out. These fit snug and I have had no issues with sweat, them slipping off or anything else. They also have a fantastic battery life and HD sound. I use these daily for hiking and jogging and are the best i've found in the $50 range. It's nice to not be wireless and makes everything a bit more convenient.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-High-Definition-Headphones-Bluetooth-Enabled-RF-MAB2/dp/B002V5OYHC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307631075&sr=1-4

weeklymix
06-09-2011, 07:06 AM

They already are somewhat pointless and soon they will absolutely be pointless.

anyone else in the Google Music Beta? its pretty awesome, however it does take forever to upload everything

Uploading sucks for pretty much any service but yes I use it. It's damn handy to have and reduces space needed on my phones' drives / SD cards.

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Does streaming music like that (Google Music beta) eat up data usage? I'm stuck with a 200mb/month data cap.

weeklymix
06-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Does streaming music like that (Google Music beta) eat up data usage? I'm stuck with a 200mb/month data cap.

If you're using 3G / 4G, yes. If you're using WiFi, no.

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Ah, I figured. My cousin said that Apple is using their magical wizard wands to make their iCloud service not use network data. I didn't know if that applied to Android or not.

weeklymix
06-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Assuming 128Kbps, you're looking at approximately 3.5 hrs of streaming music per month permitting you use literally nothing else.

Aphxtwinin
06-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Ah, I figured. My cousin said that Apple is using their magical wizard wands to make their iCloud service not use network data. I didn't know if that applied to Android or not.

because apples solution is not streaming from the cloud, you just dl the music you do not have on your ipod/phone/pad/whatever onto the device. which still takes up your allotted MB but not as much as constant streaming, it also takes up space on your device.

Wheres the beef?
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
They already are somewhat pointless and soon they will absolutely be pointless.

Care to go into a bit more detail on that?

The market place is has no accountability and since the OS is open source, it should be very easy for someone to submit a trojan app or key logger under the guise of a useful program. I'm interested to see why you think they are pointless when plenty of people say it is something you should have.

Aphxtwinin
06-09-2011, 11:28 AM

I use Lookout Security...https://www.mylookout.com/

weeklymix
06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
The market place is has no accountability and since the OS is open source, it should be very easy for someone to submit a trojan app or key logger under the guise of a useful program. I'm interested to see why you think they are pointless when plenty of people say it is something you should have.

Open source can be vulnerable but in the case of true debilitating viruses you're talking about the Linux platform, one of the most secure platforms, open source or otherwise, on the market. Sure, if you're rooted and running some 16-year-old hacker kid's version / build of Android for sheer looks you might be open to problems unknown by the developer but known to larger manufacturers and their systems, but the fact that Android is open source itself actually doesn't mean anything with regard to security. The iPhone isn't "open source" really but you can jailbreak it and have it fucked like any other phone, or have an App experience vulnerabilities itself, like LinkedIn's official app for the iPhone. It wasn't Apple's operating system that caused LinkedIn's app to leak all of their users information, just like it's not usually Android's direct fault that an App sucks.

Tech Republic determined about a month ago that antivirus programs weren't needed on Android phones: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/are-antivirus-applications-necessary-on-the-android-mobile-platform/2670

It comes down to the Apps and the App Developers. Nobody has experience coding Android Apps for a decade, so they will make mistakes. The Linux kernel has been around forever, so it's less likely going to be a problem with the operating system (like a true virus or malware) and more going to be an issue with how did the person developing your App fuck up this time.

I underlined the most important part of what you said being if you're downloading sketchy and / or unknown apps, do your homework. It's worth the 5 seconds looking up whether or not the app has security vulnerabilities. My mom's awful with computers but held onto two Windows PCs for 8 years without using an antivirus because she didn't download things that looked weird. Sure her computers could have been infected with a trickier Trojan horse at anytime but she helped her cause greatly by checking online or annoying me frequently to ask whether or not what she was downloading was safe.

And Aphex is right in that Lookout is the best you can have because it's A) free and B) offers a host of other services more beneficial than the "antivirus" portion itself.

ManImCool
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I use Juicedefender and right out of the box, with no additional settings or tweaks applied, it more than DOUBLED my battery life. It's a fantastic little program.

Anyone have any input on the Motorola Atrix? Prices have been slowly dropping on ebay and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger...

chairmenmeow47
06-11-2011, 01:40 PM
just got my new droid 2 global. figured out how to set downloaded ringtones to calls, but not to notifications. anyone know how to do this? thanks :)

mountmccabe
06-11-2011, 01:54 PM
What do you use for texting? If you use the default Messaging (which is fine, btw) you may be able to go to Settings via the Menu key and scrolling down it should have a section on Notification Settings which should include Select Ringtone.

weeklymix
06-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Anyone have any input on the Motorola Atrix? Prices have been slowly dropping on ebay and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger...

It's an incredibly fast phone. AT&T sucks for rooting though if that's the carrier you plan on going through or something (rooting) you plan on doing.

And I feel like I have to say as a protective disclaimer that it doesn't come with the laptop attachment, it costs a bunch of extra money. AT&T's commercials are horribly misleading.

ManImCool
06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
It's an incredibly fast phone. AT&T sucks for rooting though if that's the carrier you plan on going through or something (rooting) you plan on doing.

And I feel like I have to say as a protective disclaimer that it doesn't come with the laptop attachment, it costs a bunch of extra money. AT&T's commercials are horribly misleading.

There are a couple ebay bundles that sell both the phone AND the laptop dock for a little over $600. That's an attractive price; I'm basically getting an almost top-of-the-line spec phone (it's already outdated now, but just barely) and another laptop to add to my arsenal.

I'm not worried about ATT; I've been custom flashing ROMS on windows and more recently rooting and steering clear of their detection methods for about 7 years now. I know all about the cool things about the phone and it's specs.... so what would actually be more helpful, is are there things you DONT like about the phone? Some criticism would be nice. I either get the Atrix at a reduced price very soon, or I wait until HTC drops their equivalent of the Motorola Atrix (with their own laptop dock and all the other bells and whistles) and pay a very very large amount of money for it.

AT&T sucks. AT&T is horrible.
Fixed that for you.

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
What do you use for texting? If you use the default Messaging (which is fine, btw) you may be able to go to Settings via the Menu key and scrolling down it should have a section on Notification Settings which should include Select Ringtone.

yeah the problem with my phone is that the notification and phone ringtones are separate buckets of files. i found a help site which recommended trying to copy the file over by hooking the phone up to the computer, but there is no "media" folder as the site indicated there would be.

some people have suggested apps, so i'm going that route. not the end of the world.

so far, i fucking love this thing. it may not be r2d2, but it's nice to finally have a droid in my life :)

downingthief
06-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Glad you are liking it Ivy! Love my Droid.

OutOfmYminD
06-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm looking into getting a data plan and android phone. Are there any good resources you'd recommend for checking out phones, rooting essentials, and custom roms?

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
another question, between my phone contacts, my gmail contacts & my SD card contacts, i'm having to go through and delete duplicates & combine my gmail & phone contacts. i tried doing this with my backup assistant, but that didn't synch to the phone for whatever reason.

so now i'm doing it on my phone, putting the email address only contacts in the phone only contacts. will this synch up with my gmail?

downingthief
06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I would think so. Not 100% sure though.

ManImCool
06-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm looking into getting a data plan and android phone. Are there any good resources you'd recommend for checking out phones, rooting essentials, and custom roms?

XDA. This is THE website, THE resource. You will find all your smartphone questions and custom ROMS and custom tweaks, with a huge message board full of extremely knowledgeable people/phone nerds that know everything about whatever phone you have.

http://www.xda-developers.com/

OutOfmYminD
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks! Checking it out.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Tomorrow, I'm finally getting rid of my Blackberry and getting, you know, a real smart phone. I really can't decide between the iphone 4 and the Motorolla Atrix 4g. I literally may end up flipping a coin.

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-12-2011, 10:55 PM
another question, between my phone contacts, my gmail contacts & my SD card contacts, i'm having to go through and delete duplicates & combine my gmail & phone contacts. i tried doing this with my backup assistant, but that didn't synch to the phone for whatever reason.

so now i'm doing it on my phone, putting the email address only contacts in the phone only contacts. will this synch up with my gmail?

You can view your contacts on your phone (granted that you've already synced them from Google) to view only ones with phone numbers. Contacts --> Menu --> Display Options --> only contacts with phone numbers.

Tomorrow, I'm finally getting rid of my Blackberry and getting, you know, a real smart phone. I really can't decide between the iphone 4 and the Motorolla Atrix 4g. I literally may end up flipping a coin.

Get Android. Trust me. I have been both an iPhone user and an Android user, and I'll never go back to anything other than Android.

Handcent SMS. It's free, and you can send/receive text messages from the lock screen. Best. App. Ever.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Get Android. Trust me. I have been both an iPhone user and an Android user, and I'll never go back to anything other than Android.

Yeah I'm leaning toward the Atrix. The only cons for me right now are the interface looks, at times, unecessarily cluttered and complicated and I don't know about that whole MotoBlur thing. I mean, in 2-3 yrs I'd probably upgrade to a new Android phone and have to learn a whole new interface whereas with the iPhone it all seems more intuitive and if you're going from iPhone to iPhone you never have to learn a whole new set up. Anyway, I'm far from an early adopter so that's a long way off..

BTW, the Atrix is $99 new and $49 refurbished on AT&T's website right now.

Aphxtwinin
06-13-2011, 05:04 AM

I would go with android, but check out how you like Motoblur in person, i have heard some mixed reviews and I know some who have returned their Motos based on that and that a HTC Sense powered phone is the way to go. also which services do you use more, Googles or Apples?

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Also, don't forget about rooting/reflashing options for you. My gf's phone is an HTC, but I installed cyanogenmod7 on it. No more htc sense. I've had nothing but good things to say about my Galaxy S, so I'd look into that. they are only $20 with a contact renewal at Radio Shack.

RedHotSgtPeppers
06-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Update: Just got Netflix working on my Galaxy S Captivate. AAAAAWWWW YYYYEEEEAAAAA

Aphxtwinin
06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
so is anyone going for an Evo 3D next week? i want one but gotta check out to what extent the 3D is