PDA

View Full Version : Bumbershoot, Coachella, and New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival Linked Through AEG

codytwo
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
SEATTLE, WA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- February 20, 2007 --

One Reel, the Pacific Northwest's premier not-for-profit arts and events organization, announces a unique collaboration with world-renowned entertainment presenters AEG Live aimed at providing One Reel's signature event, Bumbershoot: Seattle's Music & Arts Festival with a competitive edge in the industry. Under this five-year deal, AEG will lend support as a talent buying and sponsorship resource as well as serve as the underwriter for the Festival, which will continue to be produced by and remain under the sole artistic and operational control of the non-profit arts organization One Reel. This innovative arrangement will allow Bumbershoot to form a headliner talent and sponsorship consortium and share festival resources and strategies with two other respected U.S. festivals, the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival.

In a rapidly changing global entertainment marketplace, One Reel has developed a sustainable financial business model utilizing AEG's industry resources in the areas of major music talent booking, national sponsorship, and underwriting. AEG and One Reel worked together to create an original non-profit/for-profit collaboration that would achieve both party's objectives, with a shared goal of preserving and continuing the artistic excellence and historical integrity of the 37-year-old Bumbershoot.

"AEG has an outstanding reputation working with non-profits like The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival Foundation and NARAS," stated Heather Smith, Bumbershoot Producer. "They have demonstrated their commitment to understanding each organization's mission while helping to build upon successful events. This was a key factor in selecting AEG as a good fit for One Reel."

"Forging a plan to keep Bumbershoot music booking competitive in an increasingly expensive marketplace for headline talent is an exciting and necessary step for the Festival," added Michele Scoleri, Bumbershoot Artistic Director, Programming. "We are pleased to be taking these steps with an industry leader like AEG, and look forward to collaborating with Coachella and Jazzfest, two artistically distinct festivals for which we have a tremendous amount of respect."

AEG's relationship with multiple national festivals will open a dialogue and develop a support network for each distinctive event. The company has vast experience building, supporting and presenting genre-spanning arts, sports, educational exhibits and other entertainment events.

"Bumbershoot, Coachella, and Jazzfest represent examples of our commitment to creating fan-friendly entertainment experiences along with artistic integrity," remarked Paul Tollett, President of AEG Live's Goldenvoice and founder of Coachella. "This collaboration expands the possibilities for all three festivals."

Bumbershoot will be held this Labor Day weekend, September 1 -3, at Seattle Center. Bumbershoot's 2007 lineup and ticketing information will be announced in the months to come. The most up-to-date information is always available at www.bumbershoot.org.

About One Reel

One Reel is a not-for-profit arts organization. 2007 marks One Reel's 37th year producing the Northwest's premier arts events including Bumbershoot: Seattle's Music & Arts Festival, Summer Nights Concert Series, WaMu Family 4th at Lake Union, and Teatro ZinZanni.

tessalasset
03-02-2007, 01:56 PM
oh shit thats awesome. go paul t!!!

GTI_GRL
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Has anyone here been to Bumbershoot? Hows it like? I was looking at going last year, but my friends didn't have the money.

codytwo
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Its called Bumbershoot. And it kicks ass. But I wouldn't make a road trip for it, honestly. The lineup is usually a little less impressive than a lot of other festivals. But maybe that will change now.

invisiblerobots
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
This can only mean good things for Bumbershoot. They've been drawing more and more big acts over the past couple years. The only drawback to this is that the lines to get into the smaller venues have become impossibly long. Regardless, I'm still excited to see what they line up this year. And not just because I live across the street from the site.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Looks like Philip gave Paul some additional capital to play with this year. I think it's in good hands.

tessalasset
03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
<3 uncle phil

picks up chair
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I went last year for the first time. There was a good balance of music and arts; music poster exhibit, comedians, guest speakers (Palahniuk), and random festival booths. There's a lot of first-come first-serve happening; some of the "stages" are inside buildings with "limited seating." Definitely worth it though.