PDA

View Full Version : New York bans use of the "N" word

Mr.Nipples
03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
...the second coming of christ is upon us.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070301/tv_nm/newyork_word_dc_3

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City symbolically banned use of the word ****** on Wednesday, the latest step in a campaign that hopes to expunge the most vile of racial slurs from hip hop music and television.

The City Council unanimously declared a moratorium that carries no penalty but aims to stop youth from casually using the word, considered by most Americans to be the most offensive in the English language.

The New York City measure follows similar resolutions this month by the New York state assembly and state senate, and supporters of the ban are taking their campaign to The Recording Academy, asking it not to nominate musicians for Grammy awards if they use the word in their lyrics.

Many rap artists and young New Yorkers toss the word around as a term of endearment or as a substitute for black, angering some black leaders who consider those who use it as ignorant of the word's hate-filled history in slavery and segregation.

"This could be the beginning of a movement," councilman Albert Vann said.

Councilman Leroy Comrie, a sponsor of the moratorium, said the campaign against the word has gained strength since comedian Michael Richards spewed it in a racially charged tirade in Los Angeles.

The Laugh Factory club where Richards performed has since banned comedians from using the word there and the former "Seinfeld" television star has apologized.

"The Michael Richards incident really brought it to another level. It has forced people to express their outrage. Many people had been seething quietly," Comrie said.

Comrie also asked TV network Black Entertainment Television to stop using the word in its shows. Representatives of BET did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A Grammy spokesman said he doubted the academy's 11,000 voting members would support any measure that might censor artists.

"They are not going to be supportive of something that excludes someone simply because they are using a word that is offensive," said Ron Roecker, vice president of communication for the Recording Academy.

The city resolution calling for the moratorium traces the etymology of the word from the Latin "niger," meaning black, to its first documented written use in 1786 as a term slave masters used to label their African slaves.

Use of the word by blacks exploded with the rise of rap music in recent years, and some black comedians like Chris Rock continue to use it in their routines.

"What, is there a fine? Am I going to get a ticket?" Rock mocked in a Reuters interview when asked about the City Council move. "Do judges say, '10 years, ******!"'

Rock said politicians were trying to divert attention from real problems: "Enough real bad things happen in this city to worry about how I am going to use the word."

your thoughts people...

bballarl
03-02-2007, 12:14 AM
That was cute of them. Symbolically banning a word is a new one.

bballarl
03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
And Chris Rock is exactly right. This is a typical bullshit political move. Why not deal with real problems?

crazzz2007
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM

i just violated the ny law, since posting on the internet is considered to be in "commerce"

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
There's an article in the SF Weekly about a marin student who's suing her school district for being suspended for using the phrase "That's so gay"

tiffdud41
03-02-2007, 03:09 AM
what ever happened to freedom of speech? I know that sounds retarded, but, still...and what's the point if it can't even be enforced? symbolically banning something isn't very affective

kennycarly
03-02-2007, 04:02 AM
****** ****** ******!

Well thank fuck I'm not in New York!

They might take my Grammy!

All That I Am
03-02-2007, 05:14 AM
I wish the ghost of Lenny Bruce would go to New York and hold a press conference.

nerdynerdnerd
03-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Oh man, that's just going to make New Yorkers use the word even more. It's already been voted best word of 2008 by the Brooklyn Grammar society.

gaypalmsprings
03-02-2007, 07:01 AM
I thought the N word was Nipples

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 07:11 AM
I liked when they took the front by banning public smoking and transfats in fast-food establishments more.

I don't agree with this measure, but hey, you have to accept the bad with the good. At least they did the above as well.

E

TomAz
03-02-2007, 07:14 AM
I like the gesture myself. maybe it's an age thing.

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 12:32 PM
"n-word" means "******" just as much as "*****" does. if you were to walk around a city shouting "I hate all n-words", people would stumble with their reactions, but they'd soon remember their civic duty to punch you in the mouth.

it's ridiculous that adults must discuss race relations as if they were children by using "n-word."

kreutz2112
03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I like using the word ****** as a regular part of my sentences.

Examples:

Please pass the salt, ******!
Tell sam I will call him back, ******!
Delta is a fucking waste of matter, ******!

kimery08
03-02-2007, 12:38 PM
this would never happen if biggie were still alive.

bballarl
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
"it's ridiculous that adults must discuss race relations as if they were children by using "n-word." "

When I was in high school and we read Huck Finn, our teacher decided that when we read or discussed the book to say "N star" rather than ******. I'm not joking. Granted, this was my junior year and there were some fucktards in this class. But this was AP Literature, and we couldn't use the word in an academic setting. Stupid.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I use the word all the time last night one of them tried to pick my pocket in San Fran. I caught him because he was never thought the right way to pick Pockets. But lets just say I called him an N-Word. I also knocked him on his ass and walked away. I think New York is very stupid for trying this. It won't work.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
"one of them."

TomAz
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
he was never thought the right way to pick Pockets

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM

There is a right way do it. But most people don't know that.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I thought my dog how to roll in over.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 01:49 PM
But you do, I take it? Shall we call you Oliver Twist?

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I just noticed I put Thought. My bad I was trying to type and watch my friend fight with his gf is my living room. You guys know what I meant.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
But you do, I take it? Shall we call you Oliver Twist?

I can and I can't. I'm not that good. Now my cousin can get a wallet anywhere.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
cor blimey guv'nah.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought my dog how to roll in over.

I didn't mean thought. My mind was focused on something else.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
You know what I have never read Oliver Twist so I have no clue what its about. I read alot but for some reason I never read that book.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
It's about a pickpocket. Fancy that.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 01:59 PM
My dad tells me I should check it out because its a Classic

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Seriously, how are we going to have an effective discussion about race without using the word ******? It's like an entire peoples just blipped out of existence.

Poof. No more niggers.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 02:04 PM
that one made me tear up.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
It's about a pickpocket. Fancy that.

Actually he can't pickpocket for shit. That kind of drivesthe plot.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
SPOILERS!!

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 02:13 PM
You're pretty crafty for an old dude Thomas.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Actually he can't pickpocket for shit. That kind of drivesthe plot.

Thanks

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Seriously, how are we going to have an effective discussion about race without using the word ******? It's like an entire peoples just blipped out of existence.

Poof. No more niggers.

HAHA

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks

I was refering to Oliver Twist.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Underlying racism is most excellent.

I imagine that most of you cowards wouldn't be uttering these statements aloud if you were in public. And if you think you're big enough to do so, go ahead.

Good luck.

E

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
I think you missed the most of the points...

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Underlying racism is most excellent.

I imagine that most of you cowards wouldn't be uttering these statements aloud if you were in public. And if you think you're big enough to do so, go ahead.

Good luck.

E

Ya I would.

J~$$$
There is no point in trying Brad...but he will say he gets it.

jackstraw94086
you're not very sharp if you're reading racism rather than facetiousness in here.

And of course we wouldn't run around saying ****** in public, but it has nothing to do with being brave.

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
What exactly does Fresno area mean? Are you from Clovis? Put Clovis. Sanger? Put Sanger.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I was raised in Fresno and in Orange Cove. So thats why I put the Fresno Area.

thinnerair
03-02-2007, 02:46 PM
all the way from new york, id just like to say:

thank you. good night.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
And of course we wouldn't run around saying ****** in public, but it has nothing to do with being brave.

I wouldn't run around saying anything but If they deserve it then I would say. If a white person was being a fucking jerk I would call him A cracker or Redneck. If a Italian was being loud and annoy I would call him a ginnie. I'm more likely going to catch shit but fuck it. I don't have anything against black people.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
all the way from new york, id just like to say:

thank you. good night.

ooooh you are in so not much trouble right now.

thinnerair
03-02-2007, 02:52 PM
my apartment will be destroyed with the NP run in to fuck my shit up.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't run around saying anything but If they deserve it then I would say. If a white person was being a fucking jerk I would call him A cracker or Redneck. If a Italian was being loud and annoy I would call him a ginnie. I'm more likely going to catch shit but fuck it. I don't have anything against black people.

i may change my mind about you then. Even if you honestly don't place any slavery connotation to the word you'd be an idiot to pretend it doesn't exist. It's OK to joke when in a safe context, but don't be an idiot.

Living in a civilization requires respecting the beliefs of others even if you don't share them. you can use ****** all you want in an academic discussion but you're not going to change the fact that some people will be deeply offended. some niggers hate that shit.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Where I am from, the best result that would come from having the word uttered "because they deserved it" would be a severe beating. Like I said, good luck.

E

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:02 PM
i may change my mind about you then. Even if you honestly don't place any slavery connotation to the word you'd be an idiot to pretend it doesn't exist. It's OK to joke when in a safe context, but don't be an idiot.

Living in a civilization requires respecting the beliefs of others even if you don't share them. you can use ****** all you want in an academic discussion but you're not going to change the fact that some people will be deeply offended. some niggers hate that shit.

So what did you think about me before? Ya I know they hate it. I also know most people get offended. But my best friend is a black male and we have had this talk. Its really hard to explain over the net.

blakely
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
So what did you think about me before? Ya I know they hate it. I also know most people get offended. But my best friend is a black male and we have had this talk. Its really hard to explain over the net.

its not the word, its how you say it. connotation means everything...

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Previous to now I thought you were someone who didn't want to get his ass beaten for social faux pas.

Congratulations on the approval from your black friend. Only tens of millions left to ask.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 03:23 PM

that's just not true.
As long as a few people believe it's a racist word regardless of the context it's a racist word. Now you can choose to ignore it, and that's fine. It's a decision you should make. i'm not saying people should cower in fear of the word, just that they should understand the perceptions and beliefs of others.

If you reject the idea that someone will be severely offended even if you pesonally believe you didn't mean to offend, well that's just ignorance.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:23 PM

I know its how you say it.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Storytime -

Well, there is a Caucasian guy named Jeff, and he had spent his entire life with African-Americans. Well, in particular, spending a lot of time in one household, his friend's father overheard him once singing the lyrics to a popular rap song, where every other word in the chorus was n*gga. But Jeff just went silent, instead of singing along with that part, and continued singing afterwards. His friend's father, an African American, laughed and told Jeff to sing the song how it was supposed to be. That he hereby gave him permission to say the word n*gga, but that said lenience only qualified under that household. Explaining that just because he had been bestowed the "N*gga card" in their house, doesn't mean he can go anywhere and think he could get away with it. Jeff lived happily ever after.

E

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Previous to now I thought you were someone who didn't want to get his ass beaten for social faux pas.

Congratulations on the approval from your black friend. Only tens of millions left to ask.

I've fought more rednecks for saying something to them then I have blacks.

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Did he?

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I've fought more rednecks for saying something to them then I have blacks.
There's more rednecks near you than black folk.

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I got in a fight with a huge drunk Indian (feather) once for singing along to Magical Mystery Tour.

Me: ...to make a reservation..
Indian: What you know about the res bro? What you know about the res?!
[FIGHTING]

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm not talking about the ones around fresno. Most of them won't mess with me once they find out who my cousins are. I had to fight some rednecks in the southern states. In fact the only black folk I have ever fought was also in the southern states. I hate the South.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm not talking about the ones around fresno. Most of them won't mess with me once they find out who my cousins are. I had to fight some rednecks in the southern states. In fact the only black folk I have ever fought was also in the southern states. I hate the South.

I'm starting to get a sense that you'd be getting in these kind of fights regardless of the particular words you use, so the point may be academic.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I got in a fight with a huge drunk Indian (feather) once for singing along to Magical Mystery Tour.

Me: ...to make a reservation..
Indian: What you know about the res bro? What you know about the res?!
[FIGHTING]

Ya man those fucking Natives will fight anyone. I think thats where I get my anger from. The native side of me.

blakely
03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
that's just not true.
As long as a few people believe it's a racist word regardless of the context it's a racist word. Now you can choose to ignore it, and that's fine. It's a decision you should make. i'm not saying people should cower in fear of the word, just that they should understand the perceptions and beliefs of others.

If you reject the idea that someone will be severely offended even if you pesonally believe you didn't mean to offend, well that's just ignorance.

i disagree. a word becomes offensive when used in a certain context, it cant just BE, in and of itself, offensive. Much like how the english use the word *** for a cigarette and yet to millions of homosexuals the use of that word is reprehensible. A word is just a word, nothing more.

blakely
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Most of them won't mess with me once they find out who my cousins are.

oh, i see..... your one of those people......

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
i disagree. a word becomes offensive when used in a certain context, it cant just BE, in and of itself, offensive. Much like how the english use the word *** for a cigarette and yet to millions of homosexuals the use of that word is reprehensible. A word is just a word, nothing more.

the ***=cigarette analogy doesn't work. The word actually means something completely different in both places. You're either talking abot a homosexual or a cigarette, and a homosexual would be an idiot to be offended by a european using as such.

****** is unambiguous, the only difference being that some people use it in an attempt to offend and others while others use it to joke or maybe even as a term of endearment. if you don't accept that some people are truly offended for real reasons by it then that's ignorance. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it anyway, just that it's not correct to say that the word itself is means nothing if you don't mean to offend. You don't have a choice in the matter

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
oh, i see..... your one of those people......

What do you mean by that?

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
the ***=cigarette analogy doesn't work. The word actually means something completely different in both places. You're either talking abot a homosexual or a cigarette, and a homosexual would be an idiot to be offended by a european using as such.

****** is unambiguous, the only difference being that some people use it in an attempt to offend and others while others use it to joke or maybe even as a term of endearment. if you don't accept that some people are truly offended for real reasons by it then that's ignorance. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it anyway, just that it's not correct to say that the word itself is means nothing if you don't mean to offend. You don't have a choice in the matter

But really should it be like this.

blakely
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM

But it doesnt mean anything. And please dont call me ignorant, allow me that much respect, an ignorant person would not be here arguing with you on an important subject. I am ignoring nothing, i think you just place too much importance on words. Its just my opinion. Its only offensive if you let it be.

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
It doesn't matter if you find it offensive, other people do. That's the point you ignorant fuck.

blakely
03-02-2007, 04:17 PM
It doesn't matter if you find it offensive, other people do. That's the point you ignorant fuck.

hey, whoa.... calm yourself.... we were having a civilized conversation..... would you like to join???

oh yeah... and your statement makes no sense......

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
No blood for oil.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 04:20 PM
So blakely what did you mean by that one reply?

blakely
03-02-2007, 04:20 PM
que?

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Is ***** still kewl?

blakely
03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
that you are a braggart

jimmycrackcorn
03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Is ***** still kewl?

***** please

randy ricochet
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
'****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ******......black man!'. To the heme of Batman!

I'm not racist, I'm just wrecked!

Ps Jack...you're gay.

And by the way, ****** is a term brought about from negro as in chalky for someone who is white. I understand that certain words have a different effect on different people so the answer should be discretion.
Are the y banning the 'G' word for someone who is a GINGER cunt!!!!?

PPS you're not ginger as well are you Jack!!!?

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Is there any line you will not cross, Randy?

I'm just curious.

E

randy ricochet
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Just having a laugh Delta me old china!

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Are you high/drunk?

E

randy ricochet
03-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Can you not read?.....I said I was wrecked above.
Anyway what line have I crossed?....I just like calling Jack

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Delta,
Pay no mind to randy. He just doesn't realize how unfunny he is. His posts are constantly being mistaken for being serious by many different people for this reason.

And by the way, ****** is a term brought about from negro as in chalky for someone who is white.
please ask your handler to loosen your helmet.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 07:59 PM
that you are a braggart

What I really have no clue what the means.