PDA

View Full Version : The War

blakely
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
ok, so:

I work at a hotel, and as such i have to deal with relatively ignorant and just plain stupid people (tourists) everyday. But the lady i dealt with no more then 30 min ago really takes the cake.

I had checked her in this afternoon and had had to stifle the idea she had in her head that she deserved a military discount simply because her son was in the marines. She grudgingly stopped arguing and went up to her room. She then calls down to the front desk about 45 min ago to bitch a little bit more (apparently she felt she hadnt gotten enough in while she was down here) at me about the price of her room. When i refuse to argue further about the price and tell her that she currently has the lowest possible price, she says to me, "I can't believe you can treat me like this when my son is half way across the world fightong for your 'freedom'!"
To which, i say, "My freedom? Hes not fighting for freedom. Hes fighting for oil." Not the most articulate way of explain the intricate web of deceit that is the war in iraq, i know, but give me a break i was heated.

She later comes back down for round two and decides to start throwing out old standards like "how dare you" and "your a coward", as if killing people was the one true test of honor and courage. After calling me a "liberal son of a bitch" and asking me for a card to contact the district manager (after she had asked for the manager not realizing it was me). She left in a huff mumbling something about her son being a sniper and i settled back into my chair to continue reading feeling wholly satisfied with what i had just done.

:thu

codytwo
03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Please don't do this to the board.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm in a strange minority. I love the war, yet hate the troops.

God, I miss Bill Hicks...

BoneDaddy
03-01-2007, 10:44 PM
:thu :dumbo

Yablonowitz
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Current state of the conflict. (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/03/02/insurgency/)

This is a fucking awesome read from someone who is really paying close attention to what's going on in Iraq.

blakely
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Current state of the conflict. (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/03/02/insurgency/)

This is a fucking awesome read from someone who is really paying close attention to what's going on in Iraq.

thats enlightening, im going to be spending some more time on that site...

DeltaSigChi4
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I know exactly what is going on Irak.

And it's not good for anyone*.

E

* Well, besides the contractors. They lovin' it [like McD's]

wmgaretjax
03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
god, I've had too many ridiculous conversations like this.

good for you.

DeltaSigChi4
03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
I've glad you've had too many conversations about this.

Have you seen young men die for nothing?

E

bballarl
03-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Nevermind.

mob roulette
03-02-2007, 08:58 AM
i am of the opinion that delta is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder due to his experiences overseas. i'm not saying he wasn't a dick before he went into the service, i'm saying the military likely further messed with his already fragile ego. maybe we should all go a little bit easier on him. hugs people. we are dealing with a wounded animal here.

delta, do you need to talk? i am here for you bro. peace.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 09:01 AM
You can always count on Delta to bring a hefty level of douche to a thread.

Courtney
03-02-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks for sharing this article, Yablo. I enjoyed reading it.

Sometimes I find Salon pieces to be a bit hyperbolic, but this was a good one. I do find it strange that Evan Kohlmann chose not to mention the strong economic motivations both for people to join the insurgency and also for people to become jihadists. I think that's an important factor.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM

E

One of the grave injustices of war is that heroes die and Delta survives.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Over the line.........but i giggled.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks for sharing this article, Yablo. I enjoyed reading it.

Sometimes I find Salon pieces to be a bit hyperbolic, but this was a good one. I do find it strange that Evan Kohlmann chose not to mention the strong economic motivations both for people to join the insurgency and also for people to become jihadists. I think that's an important factor.

Salon runs the gamut. I personally love it because of all the different sources of admittedly left-leaning information there is there. There are writers on there that make me cringe but I've learned far more factual information from there than almost any news site, with the possible except of the the New York Times.

Courtney
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I agree, the lack of consistency at Salon is surprising. But in general, I'd much rather get my news there than USA Today or the like.

I am always tempted to get a paper subscription to the NYT, but I feel like that would be the ultimate betrayal as an Angeleno.

fober
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
There's a war going on?

Stefinitely Maybe
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
War, what is it good for? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 10:32 AM
(nothing nothing)

fober
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
(nothing nothing)

We would have accepted any of the following:

Uh-huh
Say it Again Y'all
Listen to MeYou lose.

wmgaretjax
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM

E

I have actually. In Ambon and East Timor.

tiffdud41
03-02-2007, 10:44 AM
for nothing, hope they didn't think so, or if they did, hope it was worth it

canexplain
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
ying yang here on this one .... i hate the war and dislike the adminstration so much, words have not enough impact to express it ... but ... i joined the service during Nam because I wanted to change the system from the inside ... well of course it didnt work so i got even more liberal ... now our wp grad might be going to Iraq in a few months .... so I hate the war even more ... but i guess she thinks she can change things thru the system also .. we cant give up trying anyway ... it makes me sad to think that maybe it will never change :( .. cr*****

wmgaretjax
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
There's a war going on?

What's going on?

blakely
03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
ying yang here on this one .... i hate the war and dislike the adminstration so much, words have not enough impact to express it ... but ... i joined the service during Nam because I wanted to change the system from the inside ... well of course it didnt work so i got even more liberal ... now our wp grad might be going to Iraq in a few months .... so I hate the war even more ... but i guess she thinks she can change things thru the system also .. we cant give up trying anyway ... it makes me sad to think that maybe it will never change :( .. cr*****

with all due respect, i dont understand how you might think you would be able to change things as a soldier. politicians decide what happens.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I agree, the lack of consistency at Salon is surprising. But in general, I'd much rather get my news there than USA Today or the like.

I am always tempted to get a paper subscription to the NYT, but I feel like that would be the ultimate betrayal as an Angeleno.

Funny you mention that. Frontline just did a story about the LA Times and how it had had made great strides to be a major national newspaper to rival the New York Times and Wall Street Journal but because the Tribune Company bought the Times, they shitcanned a bunch of the reporters and made them scale back the scope of their paper to be more localized and focused on fluff. You guys may already know all this stuff but it was a sad tale about the influence of major media companies on news reporting. Fucking depressing, really.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
with all due respect, i dont understand how you might think you would be able to change things as a soldier. politicians decide what happens.

That's sadly true lately. But there are actually very intelligent people in the upper tiers of the military who research effective strategies to fight terrorism and insurgencies. The man Bush tapped to head operations in Iraq is actually someone who applied effective counter-insurgency methods when he was stationed in a region in Iraq around 2003. He's well-educated and a pragmatic person who could have been very effective if his methods were used earlier on in the war. Sadly, he's got a far more complicated and nearly impossible situation to try to deal with. Right now, there's not much the military can do, in my opinion. Heavy state department involvement and major ass kissing, mea culpa diplomacy with non ideologic, pragmatic results-oriented focus is the only way out. But I don't know shit.

HowToDisappear
03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I watched that the other night, too. Great program, and yes, quite depressing. I wish Eli Broad and the Chandler Family all the luck in getting the paper back, although it's unlikely.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Did you hear that we have already claimed victory in the war on terror. People are saying terrorism lost its hard fought battle on October 2008, or a about month before.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
it makes me sad to think that maybe it will never change

oh it will. just look back at the state of the world in 100 year increments and be reminded that in another 500 years, things will be completely different.
maybe your distant offspring will stop and say, "remember when we used to just fight each other, instead of these fucking aliens?"
personally, i've started driving a vehicle with horrible emissions and stopped recycling all together. i'm hoping that seriously damaging the environment will eventually bring about a truly dire existance for humans. one where wars over religion and money seem like loads of fun.

in the meantime, i suggest you keep up the procreation, because:
a.) you get to live on through your children
b.) overpopulation will be key to my vision

Stated.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Water will be the new gold.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Water will be the new Arcade Fire.

kreutz2112
03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Arcade Fire will be the new Water

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Let's get back on topic.

To which, i say, "My freedom? Hes not fighting for freedom. Hes fighting for oil." Not the most articulate way of explain the intricate web of deceit that is the war in iraq, i know, but give me a break i was heated.
She left in a huff mumbling something about her son being a sniper and i settled back into my chair to continue reading feeling wholly satisfied with what i had just done.

You're a simple-minded idiot and a piece of shit human being.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Okkervil River will be the new Arcade Fire.

blakely
03-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Let's get back on topic.

You're a simple-minded idiot and a piece of shit human being.

that lady deserved what she got, she was using the fact that her son was in the military as a barganing chip to get a better deal on a hotel room. i have several close relatives in the marines, but i dont feel im entitled to a discount simply because they made the choice to join the arbitrary war that is being waged without the consent of our nation and the world at large. It disgusted me to hear her try to guilt me into giving her a discount because her son was "fighting for my freedom", its this sort of ignorance and close minded thinking that put bush in office in the first place. You, infact, are the simple minded idiot. If you cant see how wrong what she said is, then i suggest you start watching something other than Fox news.....

BoneDaddy
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Maybe he meant to say we are fighting for our freedom to take their oil.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 01:06 PM
that lady deserved what she got, she was using the fact that her son was in the military as a barganing chip to get a better deal on a hotel room. i have several close relatives in the marines, but i dont feel im entitled to a discount simply because they made the choice to join the arbitrary war that is being waged without the consent of our nation and the world at large. It disgusted me to hear her try to guilt me into giving her a discount because her son was "fighting for my freedom", its this sort of ignorance and close minded thinking that put bush in office in the first place. You, infact, are the simple minded idiot. If you cant see how wrong that is than i suggest you watching something other than Fox news.....

word.

blakely
03-02-2007, 01:08 PM
word.

comin' straight outta compton!!!

http://images.thatimagesite.com/core/163/163_image.jpg

kimery08
03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
i have a feeling i would have liked the picture i cant see.

blakely
03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
thats depressing......

heres the link....

http://images.thatimagesite.com/core/163/163_image.jpg

kimery08
03-02-2007, 01:16 PM
i appreicate your effort but...

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
that lady deserved what she got, she was using the fact that her son was in the military as a barganing chip to get a better deal on a hotel room. i have several close relatives in the marines, but i dont feel im entitled to a discount simply because they made the choice to join the arbitrary war that is being waged without the consent of our nation and the world at large. It disgusted me to hear her try to guilt me into giving her a discount because her son was "fighting for my freedom", its this sort of ignorance and close minded thinking that put bush in office in the first place. You, infact, are the simple minded idiot. If you cant see how wrong what she said is, then i suggest you watching something other than Fox news.....

Hey look, exactly the type of "hurrr you watch Faux News" response I expected. The woman's son is in mortal danger. Expect to be out of a job soon.

blakely
03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey look, exactly the type of "hurrr you watch Faux News" response I expected. The woman's son is in mortal danger. Expect to be out of a job soon.

you wish..... i spoke with the district manage right after it happened, my job is quite secure....
and as for her son, he CHOSE to be there, nobody put a gun to his head and made him sign up. i owe him NOTHING........

kimery08
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM

so shes entitled to a discount because her son is in mortal danger? what about the wives of firefighters? the children of undercover hookers? if anyone deserves a discount it is her son.

not. her.

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
No, she's not entitled to a discount. She is, on the other hand, entitled to not be assaulted by vapid talking point no blood for oil simple-minded bullshit by desk jockeys.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
children of undercover hookers.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 01:30 PM
No, she's not entitled to a discount. She is, on the other hand, entitled to not be assaulted by vapid talking point no blood for oil simple-minded bullshit by desk jockeys.

i agree that he could have done without the oil comment but i also understand his frustration with that lady brought on the little outburst of his personal opinion. but to say he "assaulted" her is over the top.
she was just looking for a handout that only her son is entitled to.
i wouldnt have given her shit either.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 01:33 PM
I want to know a undercover hooker. My friends dad was a federal DEA agent he had some awesome stories.

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I would have left it alone as the ramblings of someone who reads too many bumper stickers and not enough actual policy criticism without this:

feeling wholly satisfied with what i had just done

Go have your color-coded culture war somewhere else.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 01:44 PM
you wish..... i spoke with the district manage right after it happened, my job is quite secure....
and as for her son, he CHOSE to be there, nobody put a gun to his head and made him sign up. i owe him NOTHING........

You don't know that he chose to be in Iraq. He chose to join the military. It's taking me a long time to realize this, but the military actually can serve a good purpose when used correctly. Some people joined for reasons other than to go to war in Iraq...in fact, I imagine almost all did. I doubt he wants to be in Iraq and I don't think it's right, as a manager of a business, to put your personal opinion back to the woman even if she did to you. Just my opinion. Not that I'm siding with her attitude and crap, but you gotta be the better person in that situation. My opinion.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
"In the military" does not equal "Wants to fight wars"

Do you think every cop is doing it for the shootouts?

"I'm a police officer cus I want to shoot bad guys"

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
"In the military" does not equal "Wants to fight wars"

Do you think every cop is doing it for the shootouts?

"I'm a police officer cus I want to shoot bad guys"

did you not read what i wrote???? go back and read it.....

he is a SNIPER in the military....

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
everyone has their breaking point and last night was mine. Not only had i already dealt with her for quite a while, but i deal with people on a daily basis, being a front desk clerk you are expected to act and speak a certain way, after a while of taking people's shit and dealing with their false sense of entitlement you start to get a bit cynical. Maybe i shouldnt have made the comment about oil, infact, in retrospect it was a rude comment and i probably should have taken the high road, but ive been taking the higher road with these people for too damn long and i just plain didnt want to last night. And perhaps my comment at the end about feeling satisfied was a bit smug, but if you had heard the condescension in her voice you would have snapped too.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I would have spat on her. but thats just money. i keeps it real.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 02:14 PM
when keeping it real goes wrong...

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
and as for you potvsktl...

you dont know me, so dont pretend that you do. quit making your assumptions about my education on the war and politics in general.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
oh yeah, and.....

go fuck yourself.......

kimery08
03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
lets keep the war in iraq fellas.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
my bad.... i just watched the departed again and i felt like cussing

kimery08
03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
still havent seen it. lame, i know.
but its on my "to watch" list.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
youve got to, scorsese is amazing...........

full on idle
03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I just reached my breaking point on Kimery08 and blakely.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DeltaSigChi4/291106poll.jpg

E

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
and why is that full??

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
he is a SNIPER in the military....
and all traffic cops have side arms.
i realize what you're saying, you think because he chose to be a sniper, it means he wants to kill people. maybe he does, but maybe he was thinking it might be something a little more heroic than this war that's gone completely wrong (not that it was ever right).
most of the people over there made a commitment to serve their country. they don't get to chose what their government decides to use them for. and don't give some shit about how they could just "get out". do you know what a dishonorable discharge does to your future?

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
do you know what a dishonorable discharge does to your future?

No ....

:rolleyes

E

kimery08
03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I just reached my breaking point on Kimery08 and blakely.

im okay with that.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
and why is that full??
because this country is filled with a bunch of mindless tards who listen to everything the TV says.
if that bar had been that full five years ago, I'd be impressed.
now it's just aggravating.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
at no point did i say anything about him getting out...... nor did i say ANYTHING about him going into the army in order to kill people, you decided that that was what i meant. what i was saying was that he chose to be there, just as any of us could have. their families deserve no special treatment.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
If the country is "filled with ... mindless tards", that surely would include you, Adam.

E

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
because this country is filled with a bunch of mindless tards who listen to everything the TV says.
if that bar had been that full five years ago, I'd be impressed.
now it's just aggravating.

how am i a "mindless tard"? what in my posts has led you to believe that???

MadMatt
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DeltaSigChi4/291106poll.jpg

E

It is not a scientific survey, so you can't make any larger assumptions based on that. Just sayin

full on idle
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Total Posts: 658 (17.72 posts per day)
Find all posts by kimery08
Find all threads started by kimery08

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
"IRAK"

blakely
It is not a scientific survey, so you can't make any larger assumptions based on that. Just sayin

he never said it was. and beyond that, look at the amount of people that voted, surely that is a representation of the countries attitude..

jerpar24
See Yablo is right. I know what its like to be in the Military. Most people do not join to fight in a war. I remember before the "war" started and how we would sit around talking about not wanting to go. I was in the Army before the war and I spent 15 months in Iraq. Maybe the reason he was a Sniper because he wanted college money but he didn't score high enough on the test to become something else. I know people that happened too. They couldn't score high so they went on to become a grunt. So theardstart you should have handled yourself better and she shouldn't have tried using her son serving to get something.

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
he never said it was. and beyond that, look at the amount of people that voted, surely that is a representation of the countries attitude..

Yeah, see, I'm not making assumptions. You're just not bright enough to handle complex subject matter. Or even simple subject matter apparently. You're a bumper sticker type. That's cool, most people are. Just don't start self-congratulatory threads about being a simpleton.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
See Yablo is right. I know what its like to be in the Military. Most people do not join to fight in a war. I remember before the "war" started and how we would sit around talking about not wanting to go. I was in the Army before the war and I spent 15 months in Iraq. Maybe the reason he was an Sniper because he wanted college money but he didn't score high enough on the test to become something else. I know people that happened too. They couldn't score high so they went on to beome a grunt. So theardstart you should have handled yourself better and she shouldn't have tried using her son serving to get something.

you know what? no.... she was a cunt.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 02:40 PM
And a dishonorable discharge will fuck your life up. I know people that have gotten d.d. and they can't find jobs anywhere.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
foi, what does that have to do with anything?
im a flippin receptionist who sits at a fucken desk 8 hours a day and answers the phone. not that its any of your business, but fuck, get off it.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, see, I'm not making assumptions. You're just not bright enough to handle complex subject matter. Or even simple subject matter apparently. You're a bumper sticker type. That's cool, most people are. Just don't start self-congratulatory threads about being a simpleton.

what the fuck are you babbling about, how is that a indication of my ability to handle subject matter???

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 02:43 PM
It's a poll. On the internet. It's not representative of anything. We don't even know what site it's from. It could be on DailyKos or DemocraticUnderground. This is very simple.

MadMatt
03-02-2007, 02:43 PM

No it's not. Not in those figures anyway. 95,000 people is not a lot when you look at the entire population.

Why not just post one of the scientific polls? Much of those show a majority of the public is against the war. Not 95% though. Makes for a much stronger argument.

Billy
03-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I have an older brother fighting in the war at the moment and would like to remind all of you that although you may not agree with this war, people are putting there lives on the line everyday for what THEY belive in. If you dont like the politics of america at the moment than VOTE if who or what you vote for dosent win, than just stop bitching about it so much and get out there and do something! If you have tried that and it still isnt working than move to Canada or something. But for the love of everything holy shut up, and so some freaking respect!

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks billy. I <3 u.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
And let's not forget that not six months ago, a poll was released that showed that over 50% of the population believes there was a connection between Hussein and Al quaida.

Most Americans just aren't that involved. That poll means nothing when taken out of context like that.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Why is it important to you that those opposed to the war not voice their disagreement? Those in favor of it certain let their opinions be known.

blakely
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
No it's not. Not in those figures anyway. 95,000 people is not a lot when you look at the entire population.

Why not just post one of the scientific polls? Much of those show a majority of the public is against the war. Not 95% though. Makes for a much stronger argument.

your just arguing for the sake of arguing now. This is all semantics.

War on Iraq=Bad

Billy
03-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Again Tom, they let it be known by doing something! not just sitting around bashing the good people that die every day for what the belive in. I have no problem with people voicing there opinons about the war, but back it up! Dont just sit back and think that its going to get better if you bitch on some message board.

MadMatt
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM

War on Iraq=Bad

No I'm not. There is a difference between a scientific poll and an informal web poll. I was just pointing that out. Sorry if you don't want to learn the truth. It might help you in future debates.

J~$$$
I prefer cowboy up....could you throw that in somewhere.

DeltaSigChi4
It's a poll. On the internet. It's not representative of anything. We don't even know what site it's from. It could be on DailyKos or DemocraticUnderground. This is very simple.

Try again.

MSNBC. Do you like apples?

E

TomAz
03-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Again Tom, they let it be known by doing something! not just sitting around bashing the good people that die every day for what the belive in. I have no problem with people voicing there opinons about the war, but back it up! Dont just sit back and think that its going to get better if you bitch on some message board.

Does talk itself not also constitute action? Persuading others? getting more votes? Even if I spent all my time doing nothing but constructing arguments against the war on message boards and didnt' even vote, if I have convinced 10 other people to vote, haven't I done something?

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 02:56 PM
MSNBC. hahahahahahahahahaha....

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Try again what? Jesus you fucks are retarded.

War on Iraq=bad is exactly the kind of critical thinking I expect from you blakely. Go die in a falling building.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Surely you're talking about J-Money.

And how many tours have you done there, Pot?

E

TomAz
03-02-2007, 02:59 PM

War on Iraq=Bad

M: Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
R: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?
M: No, I haven't, this is my first time.
R: I see. Well, do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?
M: Well, what is the cost?
R: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.
M: Well, I think it would be best if I perhaps started off with just the one and then see how it goes.
R: Fine. Well, I'll see who's free at the moment.
Pause
R: Mr. DeBakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory.
Ahh yes, Try Mr. Barnard; room 12.
M: Thank you.

(Walks down the hall. Opens door.)

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT?
M: Well, I was told outside that...
Q: Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
M: What?
Q: Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!!
Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
Q: Not at all.
M: Thank You.
(Under his breath) Stupid git!!

(Walk down the corridor)
M: (Knock)
A: Come in.
M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?
A: I told you once.
M: No you haven't.
A: Yes I have.
M: When?
A: Just now.
M: No you didn't.
A: Yes I did.
M: You didn't
A: I did!
M: You didn't!
A: I'm telling you I did!
M: You did not!!
A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
M: Oh, just the five minutes.
A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.
M: You most certainly did not.
A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you.
M: No you did not.
M: You didn't.
A: Did.
M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
A: Yes it is.
M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
A: No it isn't.
M: It is!
A: It is not.
M: Look, you just contradicted me.
A: I did not.
M: Oh you did!!
A: No, no, no.
M: You did just then.
A: Nonsense!
M: Oh, this is futile!
M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!

A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
M: It is.
A: Not at all.
M: Now look.
A: (Rings bell) Good Morning.
M: What?
A: That's it. Good morning.
M: I was just getting interested.
A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.
M: That was never five minutes!
A: I'm afraid it was.
M: It wasn't.
Pause
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.
M: What?!
A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
M: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!
A: (Hums)
M: Look, this is ridiculous.
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
M: Oh, all right.
(pays money)
A: Thank you.
short pause
M: Well?
A: Well what?
M: That wasn't really five minutes, just now.
A: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.
M: I just paid!
A: No you didn't.
M: I DID!
A: No you didn't.
M: Look, I don't want to argue about that.
A: Well, you didn't pay.
M: Aha. If I didn't pay, why are you arguing? I Got you!
A: No you haven't.
M: Yes I have. If you're arguing, I must have paid.
A: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.
M: Oh I've had enough of this.
A: No you haven't.
M: Oh Shut up.

(Walks down the stairs. Opens door.)

M: I want to complain.
C: You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through.
M: No, I want to complain about...
C: If you complain nothing happens, you might as well not bother.
M: Oh!
C: Oh my back hurts, it's not a very fine day and I'm sick and tired of this office.

(Slams door. walks down corridor, opens next door.)

M: Hello, I want to... Ooooh!
H: No, no, no. Hold your head like this, then go Waaah. Try it again.
M: uuuwwhh!!
H: Better, Better, but Waah, Waah! Put your hand there.
M: No.
H: Now..
M: Waaaaah!!!
H: Good, Good! That's it.
M: Stop hitting me!!
H: What?
M: Stop hitting me!!
H: Stop hitting you?
M: Yes!
H: Why did you come in here then?
M: I wanted to complain.
H: Oh no, that's next door. It's being-hit-on-the-head lessons in here.
M: What a stupid concept.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I wasn't calling you a mindless tard, blakely. I was referring to the people in this country who base their understanding of the world off of the 6 o'clock news. I never intended to lump you into that group.
My problem is that you keep saying "he chose to be there". Probably not, he probably chose to join the military and then was ordered to be there. At that point he could choose to defy those orders and be arrested, at worst, or dishonorably dishcharged, at best. I don't like how you keep simplifying the "choices" this lady's son has to make. The lady herself, sounds like an annoying bitch, but you really don't know the motivations of her son, nor the other tens of thousands of people in the military.

Delta, we're all super-excited that you've recently discovered our administration aren't the bright balls of honestly and goodness they make themselves out to be and so you feel the need to express it as often as possible because you obviously don't realize that you were late to figure something out that most the people here probably already knew.
Ok, I'm a mindless tard. Cool.
You've got over 1,000 posts on message board where practically NOBODY wants you around. You've made a career out of bothering people.
How do you want me to respond?
You're either really dumb or you have a social disorder.
You hang around places you aren't liked and don't have anything common with the people there. Why are you here? What can I do for you?
I'm tired of waiting for you to towel up the pool of drool between every post, just so you can bore me again.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
that is too long for my sig.

Billy
03-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Your absoutly right Tom, if you where in fact doing such. Unfortunatly your not your just feeding into the libral party line. Get your own opinon. I am tired of hearing all this bashing of the war, grow up! We live in a country with a voulntary Army. These brave souls are heros and should be treated acordingly.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 03:05 PM

E

WTF does that have to do with anything?

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Surely you're talking about J-Money.

E

How many have you done?

TomAz
03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Get your own opinon.

You don't know me, I don't know you. So isn't that a rather presumptuous claim you've made?

PotVsKtl
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
WTF does that have to do with anything?

I'm fairly certain that he's decided that I support the war because I don't support retarded statements like "he's over there fighting for oil!" and therefore he is wondering why I am not in the military actively engaged.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I wasn't calling you a mindless tard, blakely. I was referring to the people in this country who base their understanding of the world off of the 6 o'clock news. I never intended to lump you into that group.
My problem is that you keep saying "he chose to be there". Probably not, he probably chose to join the military and then was ordered to be there. At that point he could choose to defy those orders and be arrested, at worst, or dishonorably dishcharged, at best. I don't like how you keep simplifying the "choices" this lady's son has to make. The lady herself, sounds like an annoying bitch, but you really don't know the motivations of her son, nor the other tens of thousands of people in the military.

Delta, we're all super-excited that you've recently discovered our administration aren't the bright balls of honestly and goodness they make themselves out to be and so you feel the need to express it as often as possible because you obviously don't realize that you were late to figure something out that most the people here probably already knew.
Ok, I'm a mindless tard. Cool.
You've got over 1,000 posts on message board where practically NOBODY wants you around. You've made a career out of bothering people.
How do you want me to respond?
You're either really dumb or you have a social disorder.
You hang around places you aren't liked and don't have anything common with the people there. Why are you here? What can I do for you?
I'm tired of waiting for you to towel up the pool of drool between every post, just so you can bore me again.

Adam> both blakely and Delta

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
How many have you done?

Too many.

E

Billy
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Your right Tom and for that i apoligize! I got you confused with someone else on this board and upon reading "your" entrys i have reilized that, sorry. But this Blakey person i can safely assume is an idiot.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Your absoutly right Tom, if you where in fact doing such. Unfortunatly your not your just feeding into the libral party line. Get your own opinon. I am tired of hearing all this bashing of the war, grow up! We live in a country with a voulntary Army. These brave souls are heros and should be treated acordingly.

sir, you will not likely find an individual as opinionated as Tom. anywhere.
And you shouldn't twist his argument into a hatred for american soldiers. That's right wing rhetoric.

canexplain
03-02-2007, 03:15 PM

what i meant was, we could blow up the entire government and that would solve the problem ... but if you are a member of whatever (the military in this case), at least you have a better chance of changing things because some people might think you know what you are talking about .. or like billy said, vote ... that is working in the system .. now as much as i believe that, when the dem convention comes to denver, you just might see me on tv ... WE are going to make our thoughts known ... that is working outside the system, but i do feel strongly about the war .. cr*****

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Stop confusing the soldiers, who most of us here have respect and concern and worry for, with the war.

I bash the Bush administration's justification for the war, decisions made about the methods of the war, the lack of a post-war plan, the horrific 'war on the cheap' methods Rumsfeld used once we got there and the ridiculous waste of money and resources in reconstruction when security was completely ignored. That's because I feel frustrated in the extreme that I could not do a thing to stop it. No one could. Hell, James Baker, who SHOULD have some fucking pull with the inner circle of the Bush Administration couldn't get him to look at reality and make the necessary decisions to stave off the bloodshed.

So, yeah, I bitch about that and I don't feel bad about it and I also don't feel like I'm doing anythign about it either. It's just cathartic, I guess when you have so little control over important matters.

BUT mainly, I'm interested in what's going on now and what we can do stop the deaths and the killings. That's why I posted that interview with the insurgency expert - it shows the depths of the problem. I'm not in any way disrespecting what your brother is doing.

I'm also rambling like a drunk.

adamnikyo
03-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I know, I'm so sick of you.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
--Vaz9jW054&eurl

third time posted for you yablo.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Too many.

E

So One because One is Too many. But really how many and where were you at in Iraq.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
--Vaz9jW054&eurl

I can't view it at work. I'm lucky I'm able to read the posts.

canexplain
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
i dont like the number game for the war and its is because the right keeps using WWII and Nam as an example "Why we lost 20k on D day alone and we have only lost 3 hundred in the war on terror" ... well using that logic, if say we loose 50k in iraq, that is ok because it is less then WWII ... doesnt make any sense ... ron *****

blakely
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
But this Blakey person i can safely assume is an idiot.

how can you assume that? simply because my opinions contradict yours? just because my views are just now becoming widely publicized, does not make them invalid. I'm tired of your presumptions. I do not presume to know anything about you and i would like the same respect in return.

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
how can you assume that? simply because my opinions contradict yours? just because my views are just now becoming widely publicized, does not make them invalid. I'm tired of your presumptions. I do not presume to know anything about you and i would like the same respect in return.

I'll take Blakley side one this one. You don't know really know him. But I still disagree with the way you handled the whole thing Blakley. You should have used some tact when dealing with that lady.

bartelby
03-02-2007, 03:55 PM
--Vaz9jW054&eurl

oh god that was funny

"i call out to all my black brothers" - lol....

blakely
03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I'll take Blakley side one this one. You don't know really know him. But I still disagree with the way you handled the whole thing Blakley. You should have used some tact when dealing with that lady.

ive admitted that i should have.... but i didnt..... it offended me too deeply..... i just cant apologize for it.......

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh, it's THAT video. Yes, I've watched that more times than you can imagine. It's just so awesome in so many ways.

Dre, Snoop, Tupack Shakur rest in peace. My respect.

And...what the fuck does that have to do with the war again? Also, nice car.

blakely
03-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Wes-Wes Y'all!!!!

RATMan
03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
--Vaz9jW054&eurl

Wow, I have to confess, this might be the greatest anti-war video I have ever witnessed.

yeeah - c'mon - respect

The guy in the white t-shirt with the Ronnie James Dio voice at the end is simply amazing. His falsetto sent chills up my spine.

I was 100% for the war up until now, but that video changed my mind.

STOP THE WAR!!!!

respect

BoneDaddy
03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I have an older brother fighting in the war at the moment and would like to remind all of you that although you may not agree with this war, people are putting there lives on the line everyday for what THEY belive in. If you dont like the politics of america at the moment than VOTE if who or what you vote for dosent win, than just stop bitching about it so much and get out there and do something! If you have tried that and it still isnt working than move to Canada or something. But for the love of everything holy shut up, and so some freaking respect!

Drug dealers etc put their lives on the line everyday for what THEY believe in. Should I respect them too?

You gotta know that there is a chance to go to war if you join the service. It's been said many times that you can't support the soldiers and not support the war. Not my opinion necessarily, open to debate. I respect the soldiers as people, not because they are soldiers. It was their choice to join the service. I don't know about the consequences of DD. We'll see what happens to Lt. Watada.

I want these wars to be over as soon as possible (not meaning to pull out immediately without a plan), not invade Iran, and get back to dealing with domestic issues. Of course we will always be involved in foreign issues, but enough is enough.

and stuff like that...:thu

Ain'tItStrange
03-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Wow, I have to confess, this might be the greatest anti-war video I have ever witnessed.

yeeah - c'mon - respect

snip

respect

"Sometimes people fight a war
Don't know what for
Business"

This guy has it right--it's not about the soldiers or the politicians, it's about business. Not only the oil business, but the big biz of manufacturing weapons of mass destruction. The #1 builder and designer of WMD in the world? The United States of America. This is why those on the front lines, especially the soldiers, are tragic figures. Despite any ideals they may have, they are being used. This does not diminish them, but should evoke our sympathy and respect.

Their families too live in constant fear of losing a loved one, so on that basis it would seem the kind thing to acknowledge the sacrifice that they are making, whatever their/our opinions about the worthiness of war.

Meanwhile, we can all fight back by making life uncomfortable for the military corporations who profit from the spilling of military and civilian blood, and who benefit when international politics are destabilized and more people seek military solutions.

Roll call:
Lockheed Martin
Halliburton and its subsidiary, Brown and Root
Northrup Grumman
Boeing
Bechtel
the Carlyle Group
General Dynamics
Honeywell
United Defense

vigil, demonstrate, plan ways to disrupt the activities of any or all these key components of the military-industrial complex--they really are the underlying reason why our country continues to wage war after meaningless war, irregardless of the idiots in the White House

DeltaSigChi4
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Honeywell?

Like the indoor air purifying Honeywell?

WTH.

E

TomAz
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
"In the councils of government, we must guard against
the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or
unsought, by the military- industrial complex."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Farewell Address
January 17, 1961

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Or:

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

Or:
Sometimes people make a war, dunno what es for.
Business ye c'mon that's right

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Valarie is probably the person I feel closest to. She beats me hard with the belt and I love the oozing blisters that come out. Then she pees on them. I like that too. She hurts just the way I like. Can you hurt me to?

Geez, zzzz, some therapy might be in order.

canexplain
03-03-2007, 10:33 AM
thread hijack .... tomaz, you ever hit vegoose ? it is semi close to you and its a pretty fun time ... reminds me of sxsw because of the late night shows .... cr***

full on idle
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I wonder why people pick on her so much.

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Geez, zzzz, some therapy might be in order.
I don't appreciate fake quotes.

kroqken
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
As Culture Club said "War is stupid, and people stupid. And love means nothing, for some strange reason." If two tides go to war, one is all that you can score (Frankie Goes to Hollywood).

fatbastard
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
What war?

fatbastard
05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
As Culture Club said "War is stupid, and people stupid. And love means nothing, for some strange reason." If two tides go to war, one is all that you can score (Frankie Goes to Hollywood).

This reminds me of the histroy teacher from Square Pegs. He use to quote from songs.

kroqken
05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
I hate all wars. You militarists out there should read Howard Zinn.

Hannahrain
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I appreciate fake quotes.

mhm.

kroqken
05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Wasn't Sarah Jessica Parker on Square Pegs? Freaks and Geeks was better.

TomAz
05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
I hate all wars. You militarists out there should read Howard Zinn.

Zinn's a simpleton.

SubBass49
05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Zinn is realistic

Wheres the beef?
05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
A People's History of the United States changed my life

SubBass49
05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
A People's History of the United States changed my life

As it did for a lot of people...which is precisely why there are so many Zinn-haters out there. Any time someone steps up with something that powerful there are gonna be detractors.

Zinn
Chomsky
Fanon
etc...

kroqken
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Zinn is a genius!

Yablonowitz
05-11-2007, 11:12 AM
"We didn't get elected to be popular. We didn't get elected to worry just about the fate of the Republican Party. Our mission is to do everything we can to prevail on what is now, we believe, a global conflict, a fundamental test of the character of the American people, whether or not we're going to be able to prevail against one of the most evil opponents we've ever faced. And on our watch, we're going to do absolutely everything we can to see to it that we do succeed and that we do prevail in that conflict, and sometimes that means that we don't do well in the polls or people want to be critical. That's their prerogative. But we sit there every morning and read the intelligence reports in the Oval Office and we know what's happening out there. We know how committed our adversaries are to try to get at us. And we've done what we thought was right for the country."
-Dick Cheney

SubBass49
05-11-2007, 08:03 PM
He forgot to add, "...in a short-sighted, greedy, corrupt, and dishonest manner."

Wheres the beef?
05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
"Evidence linking these Israelis to 9/11 is classified. I cannot tell you about evidence that has been gathered. It's classified information." -- US official quoted in Carl Cameron's Fox News report on the Israeli spy ring and its connections to 9-11.

BoneDaddy
05-11-2007, 09:02 PM
What does the 420 signify in your name?

kroqken
05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Cheney is a douchebag. Also, he has fascistic tendencies. SOme people who really scare me are Supreme Court justices Antonin Scalia, CLarence Thomas, Lance Alito and John Roberts who want to take away lots of Americans personal constitutional freedoms. Too bad there are no Brennens, THurgood Marshalls or William DOuglas's to counter thenm. I guess Breyer and Gisnberg are adequate, but John Paul Stevens and David SOuter are getting too old to keep fighting for our constitutional freedoms.