PDA

View Full Version : Festivals no longer cool?

fnmore
05-25-2010, 07:28 AM
the music industry is changing

more festivals are popping up

so we get to see short sets by our favorite bands.............not real sets, but short ones

am I the only one who thinks that festivals have lost their edge because of this?

I mean, there was a day not long ago when bands played festivals because they were good - but now it seems like every band I know is playing at some festival somewhere.

Well I say fuck it........festivals are officially not cool anymore.

Who is with me?

guedita
05-25-2010, 07:50 AM
You've got to be god damned kidding me.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
:yyablo

koryp
05-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Who is with me?

you stand alone.

seandlr
05-25-2010, 08:21 AM
It sounds like the music is the blame. I say it is the type of people that go to festivals now. Regardless, they will always be cool.

tigermilkboy
05-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Eerrr well there is a slight problem in your argument. Bands are not playing shorter sets at festivals...it has been the case for the last 20 years, that bands down the festival order got about 25 minutes and headliners got 90 minutes. If anything the trend of the last 5 years has been headline sets closer to 2 hours.
From most of the festivals I attended in the 1990's, line-ups ran late due to technical problems. So sets frequently got cut short. Now there is better time management and technical expertise than is making for a better experience.

The main problems you have of festivals is that you have 70,000 people all in one place and getting a good spot is difficult. But the most uncool thing about festivals is portapotties-nothing cool about looking at other peoples shit.

TomAz
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM

so we get to see short sets by our favorite bands.............not real sets, but short ones

am I the only one who thinks that festivals have lost their edge because of this?

I mean, there was a day not long ago when bands played festivals because they were good - but now it seems like every band I know is playing at some festival somewhere.

Who is with me?

I was going to ridicule this but I think it may have some merit, actually.

Festivals used to be special events. There were only a few. They were well done, for the most part.

Now every fucking town in Kansas has their own festival. (note to the anal retentive: that last sentence was not meant literally). Many are not run well. Many have to scrape for bands to book. Some of those bands are Not Very Good.

So taken as a whole, festivals have become watered down, with too many pale imitations wallowing in mediocrity. I guess that means they are less cool, on the whole.

Coachella, despite its many problems last month, still remains cool, however. It remains inventive and clever and influential. Overcrowded, yes, but also important.

daftmonkey64
05-25-2010, 09:00 AM
you stand alone.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYjZK_6i37M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYjZK_6i37M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

koryp
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYjZK_6i37M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYjZK_6i37M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This video won't load on my phone so I can only pray to an almighty Diety that this is not a godsmack clip.

marooko
05-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Your almighty deity has failed you. It in fact is a Godsmack clip. And you know which one it is...

koryp
05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Fuck! I should have called him unsung instead.

chairmenmeow47
05-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Festivals used to be special events. There were only a few. They were well done, for the most part.

Now every fucking town in Kansas has their own festival. (note to the anal retentive: that last sentence was not meant literally). Many are not run well. Many have to scrape for bands to book. Some of those bands are Not Very Good.

So taken as a whole, festivals have become watered down, with too many pale imitations wallowing in mediocrity. I guess that means they are less cool, on the whole.

Coachella, despite its many problems last month, still remains cool, however. It remains inventive and clever and influential. Overcrowded, yes, but also important.

i agree with all of this. i have no idea why my city thinks charging like $90 to see sublime sans bradley and other almost good bands near a fake lake is "special".

CellarOwl
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM

The funny thing is that only 5 years ago people were championing Europe's approach to summer festivals. North America is finally moving in a similar direction and people think it's homogenized the festival experience for all the similarities between events. Understandably most of these festivals still suck and it's not going to be as "European" or whatever, but I don't know what anyone expected otherwise.

Cdubby
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm with you.

canexplain
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
I agree with the OP and Tom but I think there is an ebb and flow in the business. Many will fall by the wayside but a new one will pop up.

shermanoaksyo
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
you wanted it cool
but honestly we're not cool
no honestly we're never cool
we fake it, fake it all the time

digitaldragon03
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Does it even matter if a festival is cool? If you care about festivals becoming less cool, then it implies that a certain part of you went to festivals because it was the cool thing to do. You fucking hipster.

Starraven
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Does it even matter if a festival is cool? If you care about festivals becoming less cool, then it implies that a certain part of you went to festivals because it was the cool thing to do. You fucking hipster.

Haha yeah guys they're not cool :winkiss you and all your friends totally should not go anymore.

beeerplease
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Disagree.

gaypalmsprings
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn288/MovieFrenzy/YouRockHand.jpg

lowfront
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
http://www.psfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Pics-You-Are-Not-Cool-2.png

Cheddar's Cousin
05-25-2010, 09:01 PM
you stand alone.

I thought I stood alone...

koryp
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I thought I stood alone...

You stand alone in close proximity to someone else standing alone. Or I was wrong. I'm fine with either option.

fnmore
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
so it seems as though the general opinion around here is that festivals are no longer cool

I'm glad that everyone agrees

now excuse me while I go look for something that is cool

fnmore
05-25-2010, 10:12 PM
You stand alone in close proximity to someone else standing alone. Or I was wrong. I'm fine with either option.

I think this guy says it best.......

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FX8hPr7nWU8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FX8hPr7nWU8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

my generation was cool and we had cool festivals but nowadays the edge is gone and it is more about bands making a quick amount of cash and getting their music out to many people at once and meanwhile kids doing all kinds of fake drugs

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.psfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Pics-You-Are-Not-Cool-2.png

it's pretty freaky seeing a picture of an arm with a severely broken wrist.

Courtney
05-26-2010, 04:06 PM

This is interesting to think about, and I actually mostly do agree.

Although, I will say that I think that even those small, not so good festival in nowheresville America have merit. I would like to think that amongst those rosters of washed out decades old bands with only two of their original members, or embarrassing young boy bands with eyeliner and bouffants, there are maybe one or two acts that introduce their audience to something new -- and maybe one or two people out of that audience will go on to explore more good music and learn about stuff they wouldn't have otherwise.

I will also say that competition is a good thing in that with more festivals emerging, more business models are being explored and more possibilities tried out. And even though a lot of the festivals are total crap, maybe one or two will stumble upon something that really works, and as a result the entire industry will learn and grow and it will make all the festival production companies and promoters stronger as a result.

But granted, neither of the above arguments are based on "coolness." And yes, the "coolness" factor does seem to be declining. Even Coachella itself is significantly less cool to me than it used to be. I'm sick of the hoardes of young teens acting disrespectful, the relentless big business sponsorship tie-ins, and the perpetual treating of attendees like cattle. Somewhere along the way, Coachella lost its X factor for me. But maybe that's less about Coachella and more about me becoming older and wiser.

donkey sex
05-26-2010, 11:38 PM
2CDTAuUmil4

fnmore
05-26-2010, 11:53 PM
2CDTAuUmil4

lol.......classic scene!

TomAz
05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm sick of the hoardes of young teens acting disrespectful, the relentless big business sponsorship tie-ins, and the perpetual treating of attendees like cattle.

gosh. you didn't even go this year.

PlayaDelWes
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Since they moved it up a couple weeks in April, it's not only cool, it has been significantly cooler.

GuyInTucson
05-27-2010, 10:40 AM

If someone didn't go this year then they have no idea what a clusterfuck is.

liquidsnake28
05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
No, we know exactly what a clusterfuck is and that's why we're not so disappointed about missing this year.

Bumblebee
05-27-2010, 10:52 AM
A bunch of festivals got cancelled this year. Maybe the cream is rising to the top?

GuyInTucson
05-27-2010, 11:30 AM
No, we know exactly what a clusterfuck is and that's why we're not so disappointed about missing this year.

Whatever makes you feel better about not going. More power to you. I still haven't talked to many people who didn't have a great time despite the size of the crowd.

elChurro
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Lightning in your butthole this weekend sounds like fun, not sure if its really considered a festival though.

lunatic core
05-27-2010, 01:21 PM
If by cool you mean "special", then yea Festivals have become a normal yearly event in many cities. The "coolness" at this point is going to come from the artiests playing. I think it is pretty fucking cool that Plastikman was at coachella.

Courtney
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Yeah, but these problems have been there in smaller ways before this year. For example, it seems like Coachella has never really figured out a good way to deal with the parking situation. It has always been hit or miss, even before this year. And there's always some ungodly long line, between tickets and security and water and 21+ ID lines.

I guess for me, the more I go to festivals, the more I appreciate smaller, well-curated options like Fun Fun Fest or ATP NY, as opposed to the massive free-for-alls.

GuyInTucson
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but these problems have been there in smaller ways before this year. For example, it seems like Coachella has never really figured out a good way to deal with the parking situation. It has always been hit or miss, even before this year. And there's always some ungodly long line, between tickets and security and water and 21+ ID lines.

I guess for me, the more I go to festivals, the more I appreciate smaller, well-curated options like Fun Fun Fest or ATP NY, as opposed to the massive free-for-alls.

I can see how someone could be turned off by it. Halfway through Day One, I was ready to call it a weekend this year. Keep in mind that I had to handle a not so pleasant camping experience Friday morning that drained my energy on virtually no sleep, but I was not feeling it.

I eventually woke up and had a great weekend.

As far as the clusterfuck, I didn't feel it in any of the lines. Aside from driving into the festival - which will ALWAYS be a problem considering how many people go and how small the roads are that lead into the parking lots - and the waiting for wristbands, lines were not an issue for me at all this year despite the size of the crowd.

There were a few things they could have done to reduce the clusterfuck (moving the Do Lab to the locker area, get rid of the line of plants they put near the tents that clogged foot traffic, etc) but the only negative side of the crowd for me was getting from stage to stage in a timely manner and being able to find a decent spot for some acts.

Otherwise, I shrugged off the size of the crowd, although I'd be willing to pay more money if they reduced capacity.

canexplain
05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
The catch is that you don't go to festivals because they are cool but a festival is cool because you went :) The party doesn't start until you get there ...

donkey sex
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
The new Enrique Eglesias song is kinda catchy. Outdoor Theatre. Kornakova in the wings.

"Baby, I like it.."

canexplain
05-28-2010, 03:25 PM
The new Enrique Eglesias song is kinda catchy. Outdoor Theatre. Kornakova in the wings.

"Baby, I like it.."

I really never thought I would see a post here that said that. With that said: The last couple of times I have seen Hanson on TV, they were ok ...

donkey sex
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
"Your boyfriend's on vacation and he doesn't have to know..."

Lionel Ritchie guesting. Featuring Pitbull. Gay men throwing their shirts into the air like caps at a graduation ceremony.

hw2D8mvzW3o

TomAz
05-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Only bespoke festivals for Courtney.

lt.roast.a.botch
05-30-2010, 04:39 PM
coachella and festivals in general are good if you want to discover new music or see as many bands you like for less then it would be to see them in a smaller venue. if you go to a lot of shows, a festival may not be worth it. Shorter setlists, especially acts with a lot of material, can be disappointing when they can't get a flow because they feel like they have to play all their hits.

personally, i dont have the time or money to see all these bands when they come to the bay area so i appreciate festivals. plus i am a fan of the mass gathering of people who are there for the right reason - to have fun. a lot of people lose focus of that.

theGold
05-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Who decides what's cool? Who CARES what's cool? If I get to go see 10+ of my favorite bands in one day and I'm enjoying myself, that's all I (or anyone) cares about. Bottom line. Cool schmool.

Ardentbiscuit
05-31-2010, 11:15 AM

Who is with me?

If you feel this way, it's your own fault.

donkey sex
05-31-2010, 03:20 PM
like to add:

Handball (you cant afford racquets? Step up a level in society. You poor, low class bastard)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/davidbellel/david2/handball.jpg

Simon (get out of the seventies and eighties, you neanderthal)

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/2/22864/21_2009/04c227c0fa99a888_simon.xlarge.jpg

Voyeurism (stop hiding, you Peeping Tom. Just come out and let them see you. Something good might happen)

http://rdzfineart.com/store/images/south%20beach%20voyeur.jpg

TomAz
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Who decides what's cool? Who CARES what's cool? If I get to go see 10+ of my favorite bands in one day and I'm enjoying myself, that's all I (or anyone) cares about. Bottom line. Cool schmool.

I think you missed the point.

CellarOwl
06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Looking back at OP, it reminded me of when Hipster Runoff was still funny.