PDA

View Full Version : Hip-Hop Venues

PJandBompton
05-21-2010, 05:16 PM
I was looking into hip-hop venues in the area and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions...i'm looking into booking a west coast tour for my artist Goldsmith and a Chicago artist G.o.D. Jewels. If there's hip-hop nights, anything, that info would be awesome. I've got a show in Fresno with Fashawns people and i'm gonna be presenting the SD show...

Thanks!

BigBryan
05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
hip hop venues in the bay area? I most often check out hip hop shows at Club 6, 330 Rich St, the Independent, Slims, Shattuck Downlow (Berkeley), Oakland Metro, Ive gone to hip hop shows at mighty and Mezzanine too. Just about all venues I know hold hip hop shows.

Im really not familiar with your artists (no disrespect) so are you looking for a smaller club? Ive seen hip hop at cafe Du Nord, Bottom of the Hill, El Ricon, and SF state

PJandBompton
05-23-2010, 03:14 AM
hip hop venues in the bay area? I most often check out hip hop shows at Club 6, 330 Rich St, the Independent, Slims, Shattuck Downlow (Berkeley), Oakland Metro, Ive gone to hip hop shows at mighty and Mezzanine too. Just about all venues I know hold hip hop shows.

Im really not familiar with your artists (no disrespect) so are you looking for a smaller club? Ive seen hip hop at cafe Du Nord, Bottom of the Hill, El Ricon, and SF state

yeah one is my artist from SD, Goldsmith, who has opened my shows with Wiz Khalifa, Fashawn, Dom Kennedy, and TiRon...the other is an artist from Chicago, G.o.D. Jewels, who i flew out from Chicago for the Dom Kennedy show and will be bringing on the tour...it will definitely be a smaller venue, so i'll check out the ones you posted! Thanks! BTW, here's the single from Jewels' mixtape...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3qdG8wQMsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3qdG8wQMsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

PassiveTheory
05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Get in contact with The Catalyst here in Santa Cruz. They host tons of hip hop acts.

PJandBompton
05-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Get in contact with The Catalyst here in Santa Cruz. They host tons of hip hop acts.

How is the Catalyst though? i've heard good things from people about it but not very good things from the board...i will get in touch with them though, thanks

PJandBompton
05-24-2010, 10:51 PM
and what is the Atrium...depending on capacity i think i could fill out a lineup around the tour that could pack a 200 something capacity venue...

BigBryan
05-25-2010, 10:01 PM
The CATALYST is the big concert room/hall. Theres a small balcony I believe. The Atrium at the Catalyst, is what they do with the mexican food resturant after dinner hours. Bands play and stuff, like small bands on their first gigs kinda thing I think.

also the Rock-it Room in SF is starting to book more hip hop stuff. check out http://vivalahiphop.com and http://www.trueskool.com for hip hop resources in the bay area.

PJandBompton
05-26-2010, 01:25 AM
The CATALYST is the big concert room/hall. Theres a small balcony I believe. The Atrium at the Catalyst, is what they do with the mexican food resturant after dinner hours. Bands play and stuff, like small bands on their first gigs kinda thing I think.

also the Rock-it Room in SF is starting to book more hip hop stuff. check out http://vivalahiphop.com and http://www.trueskool.com for hip hop resources in the bay area.

THANK YOU! that definitely helps

Changoloco
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't know why but, as a DJ, I absolutely detest it when a promoter refers to me as "their artist". I actually went off on a promoter when he was telling someone that I was "his artist". I told him that no one owns me. Promoters are a funny breed to me.

PJandBompton
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't know why but, as a DJ, I absolutely detest it when a promoter refers to me as "their artist". I actually went off on a promoter when he was telling someone that I was "his artist". I told him that no one owns me. Promoters are a funny breed to me.

fuck off. i manage this guy. he is my artist.

psycobetabuckdown
05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Haha seriously way to be touchy about minor bullshit Chango. If you were my artist I'd drop you.

Changoloco
05-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Haha seriously way to be touchy about minor bullshit Chango. If you were my artist I'd drop you.

In the new era of independent music, artists don't need a promoter. I would never, ever sign an exclusive contract with a promoter. Most promoters are douchebags that had dreams of performing but couldn't bring those dreams to life. So they settle for vicariously living through another artist.

PJandBompton
05-27-2010, 08:53 AM
In the new era of independent music, artists don't need a promoter. I would never, ever sign an exclusive contract with a promoter. Most promoters are douchebags that had dreams of performing but couldn't bring those dreams to life. So they settle for vicariously living through another artist.

like i said before. I MANAGE this guy. I MANAGE a band. I MANAGE a DJ. I managed artists before i started promoting, and it just so happens that promoting has been successful so i'm now doing both.

It's funny though that a DJ is saying all this though, without promoters how would you make money? You of all people should know promoters are necessary.

jimmycrackcorn
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
space 120 in palms springs

Changoloco
06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
like i said before. I MANAGE this guy. I MANAGE a band. I MANAGE a DJ. I managed artists before i started promoting, and it just so happens that promoting has been successful so i'm now doing both.

It's funny though that a DJ is saying all this though, without promoters how would you make money? You of all people should know promoters are necessary.

I make money because I promote myself. I get my gigs, flyer them and then I perform. Is that hard to understand? I'm not in this business to make a ton of money. I do it because of my live of the music. That is definitively what seperates performers from promoters. We do it for love, you do it for money.

BigBryan
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
We do it for love, you do it for money.
sooooo then you have a $0 booking fee?

PJandBompton
06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I make money because I promote myself. I get my gigs, flyer them and then I perform. Is that hard to understand? I'm not in this business to make a ton of money. I do it because of my live of the music. That is definitively what seperates performers from promoters. We do it for love, you do it for money.

once again. you don't know my situation so shut the fuck up. i booked a show last month that had NO CHANCE at breaking even simply because the venue x ticket price didn't allow to it. i kept the show at $5 for the fans, when in reality it was a $15 show. i lost A LOT of money that night. and so let me get this straight, you rent out every venue you play in? because you make it seem as if you have never played for a promoter.

Changoloco
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM

I do not make a lot of money off of DJ'ing as it is not my primary means of making money. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to put into it anymore.