PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Business

karecares
05-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Any of you guys start an online or in person business and have some tips I may need to know before jumping in, you know the 'oh shit i should have thought of that' kind of stuff?

I'm in the early process of starting odor controlling lined stash bags along with other related items. I have a business plan in the works, lined up some potential suppliers and manufacturers and am figuring out the advertising budget and licensing costs and all that fun stuff now. my least favorite part. Probably a few weeks before I have some solid numbers to work with but in the meantime if there's anything that you think may be worth sharing please do.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Wait. What is the product?

Grant
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
stash bags, for like, weed, that like, don't give off the scent of weed

donkey sex
05-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I have a business plan in the works, lined up some potential suppliers and manufacturers and am figuring out the advertising budget and licensing costs and all that fun stuff now.

You sound like you know what you're doing. I opened an S-Corp in 2006 through Legalzoom (cheap and easy) and it was the best thing I ever did businesswise. Just gotta dive in. My advice is real basic: get multiple vendor quotes and make them compete for your business, always pay referrals to folks who refer you business (I pay 15% of the margin), stay calm and professional at all times and under any circumstance, give customers gifts (people love gifts). Pretty basic really. And have fun! Smile! Yippie!

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
What are you going to outwardly say the product is being used for?

lowfront
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Honestly man, sounds like something that would need to be on an infomercial to sell.

Do pot smokers really care about having a premium bag? I take my bud right out of the bag and put it in air tight glass container. Fuck bags

Grant
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
She/he won't have to outwardly say anything once it becomes legalized in California in a couple months

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Or you could vacuum-seal it.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Well if it's legalized you won't really need to conceal the smell, either.

lowfront
05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
"hey man I brought the bud"

"WHAT YOU GOT REFEER!!!!, I CAN"T EVEN SMELL THAT SHIT!!!"

"ya man, I'm rocking this new sweet odorless bags"

"HOLY SHIT I NEED THAT!!!!"

karecares
05-11-2010, 06:56 PM
She ;) is selling to the medical marijuana adult professional clientele. and we are referring to travel size items. i went into an office to rent space and my bag REAKED which outed my use right away, i have MS and look very healthy so most ppl would just assume i'm a pothead. and equally as important i've killed a few very expensive handbags because of that beautiful waft that rolls in when your carrying some quality meds. I'm in Cali and there are 15 medical marijuana states in you include DC who just passed the other day

Grant
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Well smoking cigarettes is perfectly legal, but a lot of places fine people for smoking nowadays... And maybe people would want to conceal the smell so that they don't get caught having it in certain situations.

karecares
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Well if it's legalized you won't really need to conceal the smell, either.

in cali gov arnie refused to sign into law work protection for those who utilize medical marijuana even if it's for medical use. there are plenty of reason's to conceal the smell. think about your older generations who have a lot to loose if they get caught with something they have the legal and medical right to have.

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Or you could just not bring weed to business meetings.

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:00 PM
that sounded a lot worse than it was. i didn't actually bring the weed in but it had permeated the handbag and i realized it after already there

lowfront
05-11-2010, 07:04 PM
What I usually do is just spray all my bud with fabreeze when I get it

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-11-2010, 07:04 PM
it's pretty silly to think that just because pot is legal it would be okay to just carry around and let people know about it. Legal or not it's still a drug. People who smell like alcohol are still ostracized because of it.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Good point. On a related note, I hate hippies.

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
When we legalize weed I'm going to smoke it INSIDE YOUR BODY.

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
You sound like you know what you're doing. I opened an S-Corp in 2006 through Legalzoom (cheap and easy) and it was the best thing I ever did businesswise. Just gotta dive in. My advice is real basic: get multiple vendor quotes and make them compete for your business, always pay referrals to folks who refer you business (I pay 15% of the margin), stay calm and professional at all times and under any circumstance, give customers gifts (people love gifts). Pretty basic really. And have fun! Smile! Yippie!

Cool, I was considering doing all the paperwork myself instead of LegalZoom, I'll take another look at it when i'm ready to make the move to llc but initially i'm starting out as a general partnership, obviously with a partner and looking to start on an ecommerce site and go to the trade shows

Grant
05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
sounds intriguing

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Why General Partnership? Go LLC. Unless you enjoy being personally liable for your drug paraphernalia company, Scarface.

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
That's how they got Chong.

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
the start up money is going all into the sample products and first couple of runs of production. i'm bootlegging it and unemployed and in order to get the start up funding i'm going to need i am going to have to produce the samples first. After that I plan on going llc.

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Go on that show where they make fun of your shitty product and then try to buy it out from under you.

malcolmjamalawesome
Or go on a gameshow.

karecares
That's how they got Chong.

Poor Tommy, sent to prison solely for licensing his images onto bongs. He was also a very big message case for pissing off the dea/cops so much with their movies. Got to love C&C

donkey sex
05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Cool, I was considering doing all the paperwork myself instead of LegalZoom, I'll take another look at it when i'm ready to make the move to llc but initially i'm starting out as a general partnership, obviously with a partner and looking to start on an ecommerce site and go to the trade shows

Yeah, if you know the in's and out's, then save yourself some money. I went in pretty blind.

I love the effectiveness of door-to-door marketing, some people call it guerilla marketing or feet-to-the-street. Make alot of sales calls. Databases from InfoUSA for mailors to targeted clientel. *I'm getting myself excited*. *Deep breath*. But if you are doing strickly ecommerce then maybe none of that applies. Ha. I guess "adwords" and "site linking" and all that.

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
i'm going to want to keep this baby for a few years before somebody tries to fuck me out of it and ruin my product and want although i haven't done my end of business section for my business plan yet but i have a feeling that after all this work i'm going to want to not loose it as soon as they'd want me to

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah, if you know the in's and out's, then save yourself some money. I went in pretty blind.

I love the effectiveness of door-to-door marketing, some people call it guerilla marketing or feet-to-the-street. Make alot of sales calls. Databases from InfoUSA for mailors to targeted clientel. *I'm getting myself excited*. *Deep breath*. But if you are doing strickly ecommerce then maybe none of that applies. Ha. I guess "adwords" and "site linking" and all that.

i like the door to door marketing/ guerilla marketing, it suits my personality. any other suggestions on where to get databases? The cannabis community is pretty grass roots and bc of what it is i dont know how much info databases would contain. I plan on doing both the site/adwords etc and in vivo.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 07:21 PM
The cannabis community is pretty grass roots

Ugh.

donkey sex
05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
No, not really. I dont know alot about the cannibis community. I buy pot from my brother every few months. Not sure if the government has given the ganj industry an SIC and NAICS code (so you can look up all the players). Prolly not. Ha.

For databases I've used Hoovers, Harte Hanks, InfoUSA, ReferenceUSA, D&B. They all have their own niche.

HandBanana
05-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Listen to this one: you open a company called the "Arse Tickler's Faggots Fan Club". You take out an advert in the back page of some gay mag, advertising the latest in arse-intruding dildos. You sell it with, I dunno, "does what no other dildo can do until now", "the latest and greatest in sexual technology", "guaranteed results or your money back", all that bollocks. Now these dils cost twenty-five quid a pop – that's a snip for the amount of pleasure they're gonna give the recipients. But they send their cheques to the other company name, nothing offensive, er, "Bobbie's Bits" or something, for twenty-five quid. You take that twenty-five quid, you stick it in the bank until it clears. Now, this is the smart bit – you send back the cheque for twenty-five pound from the other company name, "Arse Tickler's Faggots Fan Club", saying we're sorry, we couldn't get the supplies from America because they ran out of stock. Now you see how many people cash that cheque – not a single soul, because who wants their bank manager to know they tickle arse when they're not paying cheques?

malcolmjamalawesome
Fcv5e6xX25I

DruggyFestivalGuy
I think this idea sounds awesome.

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, you can't look up a list of medical marijuana users because that's medical information. Door-to-door sales of weed bags is a pretty good business plan but unfortunately the man is going to put a stop to this one.

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Why General Partnership? Go LLC. Unless you enjoy being personally liable for your drug paraphernalia company, Scarface.

point taken but it is legal to sell accessories when states in the appropriate manor. i'm also aware of the paypal rule that it would not be accepted form of payment because of the federal connection somehow, how i can't recall but you can't. Somewhere the other day I came across a banking system specifically for the cannabis industry

donkey sex
05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I like how Mike Bolton does a downcast forehead rub before Pet Rock goes into his idea

well, I guess it was a specticles fix...but same emotion

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I love Office Space

Door to door would be more like dispensary to dispensary and other aspects of the industry, growers etc more than running around ringing random bells, i bet i could meet some really interesting people if i did go door to door

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
point taken but it is legal to sell accessories when states in the appropriate manor. i'm also aware of the paypal rule that it would not be accepted form of payment because of the federal connection somehow, how i can't recall but you can't. Somewhere the other day I came across a banking system specifically for the cannabis industry

Right, but liability related to the "illegal drug" nature of the product is only part of your concern. It's more that as a Partnership, you will be personally liable for any costs, losses, damages, etc that come out of your business, whereas with an LLC, only the company can be liable (they won't be able to touch your personal assets).

donkey sex
05-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Door to door would be more like dispensary to dispensary and other aspects of the industry, growers etc more than running around ringing random bells, i bet i could meet some really interesting people if i did go door to door

D2D is the most effective way to pick up new customers. Some people will slam the door in your face, but it's surprising how many folks will give you a few minutes...which can turn into many minutes...which can turn into years of business. Even if you just drop off a card and followup later. It's a lost art.

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:38 PM
so rather than using the starting up use the $$ fully for a run maybe forming an LLC right away would be in my interest. thanks

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
so rather than using the starting up use the $$ fully for a run maybe forming an LLC right away would be in my interest. thanks

I can't follow this sentence.

gaypalmsprings
05-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm confused. How do you plan to launder the money?

donkey sex
05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
in bags made of hemp

karecares
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
^exactly. Sorry sometimes my brain works faster than my typing. i was saying i should spend the $$ on the llc and do a smaller run of samples with my start up $$ in order to protect myself. and thanks.

GPS this is a legit business. If somethings worth doing it's worth doing right. I'm pretty attentive to what my meds are used in or how they were grown esp since it will have an effect on my already compromised health.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Is starting as an LLC that much more costly than starting as a Partnership?

whynotsmile99
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
you guys know those sent bags already exist right?

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
not smelly bags/ziplock bag types

any links are appreciated if you've seen them because i have not been able to find any.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
This thread is gonna end up mega lulzy.

lowfront
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Sorry Bro, all your hopes and dreams are done for. There is already a company that has the market on lock down.

http://crfranke.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/clear_ziplock_ziploc_poly_plastic_recloseable_stor age_bags.jpg

whynotsmile99
05-11-2010, 08:19 PM

any links are appreciated if you've seen them because i have not been able to find any.

http://www.marijuanareviews.com/smelly-proof-bags-drewzilla484-1123.html

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
once again this will NOT be a smelly proof bag. it will be odor control fabric

but if anyone comes across anything that's not a smelly proof bag please let me know. i met one woman at the expose who was doing handbags with smelly proof baggies in it.

lowfront
05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
don't need image twice now

whynotsmile99
05-11-2010, 08:24 PM

oh sorry. well good luck to you. if you get it off the ground...send me one

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
http://blog.theavclub.tv/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dacing-fail.jpg

more
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/weed-control-fabric.html

i'm already on alibaba and tradekey and have the supplier already

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
more
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/weed-control-fabric.html

I don't think this is ... you know ... relevant.

lowfront
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
google says its relevant

This is the real solution to your problem

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/500x500/24824_0137_500.jpg

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:35 PM
those products are more related to growing than my product.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
kare, why should i buy your product instead of a ziploc bag that does the same thing

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:45 PM
MJM your probably a male. Girls like accessories. trust me on this one ;)

baggies are also very obvious. there are some people who want to be more discreet about it.
i've never found smelly proof to be particularly effective. what about your pipe or other accessory, they also omit odor that is in your pocket or in your purse what do you normally use to absorb the smell, you use my product. if you just roll around with a few joints then I can see why you wouldn't consider the product.

lowfront
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM

The premium cost is an investment to your peace of mind. No matter where you go, your secret is safe in scentless bags.

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:52 PM
pretty much

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't get why so many people call me "MJM".

karecares
05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
the length may have something to do with it. when i read it i always think of malcolm jamal warner from the cosby show.

guedita
05-11-2010, 09:00 PM
As a girl who has often had to carry baggies of my own and friends in purses and then use the purse in a different setting all together the next day, I can attest to the lingering smell being both irritating and potentially embarrassing. I think there is a market for this.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-11-2010, 09:04 PM
the length may have something to do with it. when i read it i always think of malcolm jamal warner from the cosby show.

That would be a good explanation for mistakenly calling me "MJW."

karecares
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM
thank you. I'm pretty confident in this. i'm hoping to have production by the end of the summer so if your interested we can talk off line. I'm also going to be doing other things i'm not ready to discuss but it's going to be fun.

Okay other 'oh shit i should have considered/wish i knew that was going to be an expense' type stuff. i'm trying to be as well planned as i can

karecares
05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
That would be a good explanation for mistakenly calling me "MJW."

i have to consciously make sure it's not a W

PotVsKtl
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
This keeps making more and more sense.

HandBanana
05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Malco Lmjama Lawesome

karecares
05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
bump

weeklymix
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't get why so many people call me "MJM".

Malcolm Ja Malawesome. Malawesome is like... Superbad or... Shittydope.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
smelly proof.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
bM4eJ38S7Hw

karecares
05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
haha I know that guys generally don't understand the need for the concept but women do.

NOT smelly bags.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Im concerned with doing my job properly and not being high as a fucking kite. Here is an idea, leave your weed in the car or at home.

karecares
05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
um thank high as a kite i was not and the smell is the issue,it was NOT on my person. The problem is cannabis has a smell that lingers and if you carry it in your handbag then your bag is the odor problem.
I have multiple sclerosis and I promise you I am a successful professional and those on the board who know me will agree.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I guess I wasn't clear. Your idea sucks. I didn't ask about your personal health issues so I don't really care why people judge the smell of your handbag. If you are worried about it smelling leave it at home or in your car.

HandBanana
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
You need a business plan!

http://i.imgur.com/ACg59.jpg

fatbastard
05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow. I almost qualify for that senior discount.

fancy restaurant
05-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I guess I wasn't clear. Your idea sucks. I didn't ask about your personal health issues so I don't really care why people judge the smell of your handbag. If you are worried about it smelling leave it at home or in your car.

You are clearly having some issues trying to grasp exactly what this product is.

TomAz
05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow. I almost qualify for that senior discount.

But are you a self-starter?

fatbastard
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I've always been known as a self starter.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
You are clearly having some issues trying to grasp exactly what this product is.

not at all.

JustSteve
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
i keep mine in old prescription bottles. airtight. no residual smell on anything. free.

lowfront
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.yorkblog.com/yellowribbon/febreze.jpg

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Everybody smokes weed. There is no reason to cover it up anymore.

fatbastard
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
No no no...
http://www.atmosphereproducts.com/product_images/240/ZWAT8722.JPG

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
http://fastdesign7.com/

karecares
05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
J~$$$ I am not marketing to 'you', the male cannabis user. I appreciate your opinions and that is exactly why this product does not work for your demographic. Ladies DO like the idea and ARE willing to pay so thank you for your contribution.

Seeing as I started this thread in order to get feedback from other people who have started up business I'd like to keep it on track. Thanks

TomAz
05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
http://fastdesign7.com/

Nothing like a good professional website design.

TomAz
05-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Seeing as I started this thread in order to get feedback from other people who have started up business I'd like to keep it on track. Thanks

You started this thread to get feedback and then argued with people giving you feedback you don't like. You're gonna fail.

Hannahrain
05-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Don't worry, Tom. You can review the company poorly on Yelp! later.

TomAz
05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I have no opinion about the company itself.

Hannahrain
05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Herein lies the beauty of a three-star review. You might as well be eating a sandwich on the bus.

TomAz
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
My review is not three star. My review is N/A.

amyzzz
05-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Weed smells nasty.

karecares
05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Sorry for trying to get the thread on topic. I think a few did not understand the concept of the product and tried to further explain it to clarify, if that comes off as not taking criticism well than so be it. Your critique of the product is not what I started the thread for. ~J$$$'s opinion was noted but didn't provided anything beyond his opinion. I simply asked for feedback on Starting a Business. This was not meant for a debate on marijuana and everything else surrounding it

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Im not debating marijuana. YOUR PRODUCT SUCKS. Trust me. Your friends and family might think its cool, but that's because you get them high. I have come up with 30000000000 products when im high, guess how many panned out? This goes for 1,000,000 of others stoners ideas.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Weed smells nasty.

You smell nasty.

karecares
05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
can you tell me why it sucks, i'm being serious not sarcastic.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Scene:
You: When I open my purse/handbag to get my wallet to pay for my twix bar and tampons the weed smell is released. No its not because I carry my weed and pipe in a odorless pouch/bag that I carry around in my purse. Wait, where is my odorless pouch/bag that I carry my weed? Fuck im so high. Fuck! Where the hell is my weed!?

Casiher: Ma'am is there a problem?

You: no its just I forgot my..................

People behind you: ugggghhhh stoners.

You: shit, my odorless bag of weed!

Goes on for five minutes like this, not worth the trouble.

Hannahrain
05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
I hate when I have to wait five minuets because the fucking stoner in front of me won't stop twirling.

J~$$$$
05-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, edited.

karecares
05-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Scene:
You: When I open my purse/handbag to get my wallet to pay for my twix bar and tampons the weed smell is released. No its not because I carry my weed and pipe in a odorless pouch/bag that I carry around in my purse. Wait, where is my odorless pouch/bag that I carry my weed? Fuck im so high. Fuck! Where the hell is my weed!?

Casiher: Ma'am is there a problem?

You: no its just I forgot my..................

People behind you: ugggghhhh stoners.

You: shit, my odorless bag of weed!

Goes on for five minuets like this, not worth the trouble.

hahah point taken.but where else do you suggest i carry my belongings if not in a purse? and some people do have to travel with their product for whatever reason. (not fly but bring with them) your medical marijuana using middle age or older age person would use this. certain types of women are interested in this type of product because it's an accessory with a functional purpose for them, women love accessories.