PDA

View Full Version : Best bars in Los Angeles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JamesMills
05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Just curious as to where you guys like to waste nights. Which bars in Los Angeles do you think have the coolest scenes and play the best music? Which of them have dance floors?

I like the Cha Cha Lounge (no dance floor though) and the Shortstop (has a dance floor), but I'm still hoping to find a place with more people like the ones that post here.

fatbastard
05-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Pick up this week's LA Weekly.

JustSteve
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
any ideas for your next great thread topic? best beaches in the area, perhaps? best place to sit and look retarded? the possibilities are endless!

starting 9 new threads in a week is kinda overkill...

getbetter
05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.wurstkucherestaurant.com/

this one is good for beer and food

this one is good for cocktails
http://www.edisondowntown.com/

but if your willing to drive a little bit more this is my favorite place to go to
http://www.luckybaldwins.com/

JamesMills
05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
any ideas for your next great thread topic? best beaches in the area, perhaps? best place to sit and look retarded? the possibilities are endless!

starting 9 new threads in a week is kinda overkill...

Why follow me around if you don't appreciate them?

I'm just kind of stoked that I finally found a forum with people whose opinions on music are of great value to me. There's a lot of questions I've always wanted to ask these kinds of people but never really had the chance to since most of my friends listen to vastly different music than myself. I think someone's taste in music can be a significantly determining factor in how they'll gel with others, so I'm curious to how those others feel about some things.

I won't be making anymore threads for awhile since I got most of those questions out of me, though I'm interested in what people think about this one.

RoughSteez
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM

this one is good for beer and food
[/URL]

i agree. one of my favorite saturday hang outs. i love their beer selection.

Theijuiel
05-01-2010, 02:59 PM
The Edison. *what getbetter recommended*
The Varnish.
Library Bar.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Pick up this week's LA Weekly.

Yes! Best 50 happy hours in L.A. It's a great guide.

It's online too

http://www.laweekly.com/2010-04-29/eat-drink/our-favorite-happy-hours/

TallGuyCM
05-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Surprised no one's thrown the Red Lion into the mix.

boarderwoozel3
05-01-2010, 05:50 PM
There's a Cha Cha in Seattle too. One of may favorite watering holes for sure.

sonnyboy11
05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I spend entirely too much time at this place

Doesn't help that I just bought a condo within walking distance of it. While it does not have hard liquor, I'd argue its on-tap German and Belgian beers alone make it worth the schlep. And as for the sausages... well, check the menu on the above link yourself. It's as spectacular as it sounds. Plus, I have met quite a few people there in the communal beer garden who I'm starting to think of as friends. Very interesting place.

sonnyboy11
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Surprised no one's thrown the Red Lion into the mix.

Just backing this up- LOVE the Red Lion. Spent too much time buying the frau waitresses there shots of Jager (mutha-fuckin shots of Jager! for my bros)

bleep
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
the Library Alehouse and Father's Office (the one on Helms Ave) are my haunts

Courtney
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't live in Los Angeles anymore, but I seriously miss the Prince, HMS Bounty, the Golden Gopher, Broadway Bar, Hop Louie, Short Stop, Little Joy, The Red Lion, Lowenbrou Keller, The Roost, The Rustic, Bigfoot Lodge and Tee Gee.

Actually now that I think about it, I spent far too much time circa 2004-2007 nursing cheap drinks in vinyl-upholstered booths east of La Brea.

whynotsmile99
05-01-2010, 08:07 PM
The Edison. *what getbetter recommended*
The Varnish.
Library Bar.

i enjoy drinking in downtown, but Library Bar sucks. Noisy, packed little, ambiance except a bookshelf.

Seven Grand is a great whiskey bar, though it's really annoying they have pool tables right in the middle of floor

I know I throw this in every LA thread but my favorite place to grab a drink has got to be Jumbos Clown Room

http://www.brooklynrail.org/article_image/image/4270/img-18-web.jpg

best bikini bar ever. The jukebox they have is amazing. Radiohead to Patsy Cline to Dr Dre and everything in between.

JamesMills
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Do any of these bar/restaurants have vegan options? If not, does anyone happen to know of any good bar type places that have some vegan orders?

JamesMills
05-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, which (if any) of these places in particular play some good tunes AND have a dance floor? If there aren't any with both good music and dance floors, which just play the best music?

sonnyboy11
05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Wurstkuche has vegatarian sausages my veg friend says she swears by. Check out the menu on the link.

captncrzy
05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I fucking love Wurstkuche.

suprefan
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
We should go there before the LCD show in June... If you were ok with the drive to l.a. from Ontario.

Also, which (if any) of these places in particular play some good tunes AND have a dance floor? If there aren't any with both good music and dance floors, which just play the best music?

Wurstkuche has a dj every night, no room to dance, just hanging out, eating, and drinking. They still play good music though.

captncrzy
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
We aren't going to have a car.

suprefan
05-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Gee, Henry lives 20 mins from Ontario airport. :P

TallGuyCM
05-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Do any of these bar/restaurants have vegan options? If not, does anyone happen to know of any good bar type places that have some vegan orders?

Pussy.

JamesMills
05-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Yeah, caring about the environment and the future of the universe is "pussy".

edit: and I'm down to meet up there before the LCD show.

captncrzy
05-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Considering they make all of their own sausages, I suspect their vegan one is probably pretty good.

suprefan
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, caring about the environment and the future of the universe is "pussy".

edit: and I'm down to meet up there before the LCD show.

The Wurstkuche ones are Vegan, stop whining. Fathers Office has vegan options. Also, you shouldve asked that in your first post, not now.

go there to see a nice long list of vegan places in L.A.

http://www.quarrygirl.com/

JamesMills
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
The Wurstkuche ones are Vegan, stop whining. Fathers Office has vegan options. Also, you shouldve asked that in your first post, not now.

go there to see a nice long list of vegan places in L.A.

http://www.quarrygirl.com/

The thread was never about food, so why would I mention it in the first post? People began posting about food, so I asked if any of these places happened to have vegan options. I never whined about anything, it was a simple question to which I was called a pussy for asking.

And I know how to find vegan restaurants, but thanks. I was specifically asking about the bars at hand and if there were any options in particular.

gaypalmsprings
05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
The Abbey in WeHo.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a65091e2970b-800wi

http://www.barbizmag.com/images/stories/abbey3.gif

bmack86
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
i enjoy drinking in downtown, but Library Bar sucks. Noisy, packed little, ambiance except a bookshelf.

Seven Grand is a great whiskey bar, though it's really annoying they have pool tables right in the middle of floor

Agreed on both counts. Seven Grand's bartenders make some wicked good whiskey cocktails.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
the 7G guys are also suuuuper knowledgeable and love talking about whisky. I learn a lot when i go in there.

sonnyboy11
05-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Hung out yesterday at Wurstkuche. Just a few quick tips. I would imagine you guys who've been there already know this so just trying to help-

First, there's a line at the front door for ordering sausages. Get your thoughts together in advance on what you want, and then leave 1-2 persons in line to order for the group. The rest of you head over to the door on the other side of the building and secure yourselves seating in the beer garden. If you don't do it this way, and it's crowded, there's a good chance your food will show up before any seats open up.

Also, for whoever remains standing in line to order sausages, once you've crossed the threshold of the door and are officially "inside" there is usually a guy monitoring the line bringing beers to folks standing. If you don't see him, just lean to the someone behind the counter and ask if you can get a beer while waiting on line. They'll give it to you and you can pay for how ever many you had when you finally reach the cashier to order.

Also, if you want a liter mug of say, Spaten Pils (my beer of choice yesterday), while over on the sausage ordering side, you can ask for someone to go over to the beer garden area to bring back a liter mug- they don't keep the big liter mugs on the ordering side, even tho they have full on beer taps. They'll go get one for you though if you ask.

Oh, and do NOT try to order a liter mug of any of the Belgian brews. That's poor form. Not only would you be picking yourself up off the ground trying to drink one, but most Belgian beers provide a glass you are supposed to imbibe from per their specific brew.

For my part yesterday, I tried two links I haven't had yet- Austin Blues and the Duck/Jalepeno/Bacon sausage. I did the former with sauerkraut and the latter with grilled onions- FREAKIN WIN! Besides the aforementioned big liter of Spaten Pils I motored down, I also enjoyed two glasses of this on tap

http://www.sintbernardus.be/en/beers.html

Made friends with a German exchange student and his hot Asian USC girlfriend while in line and we sat together in beer garden. Fun times! Love this place.

mmsk123
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I live in downtown and everything is subjective but here are my highs and lows:

Seven Grand - Great, knowledgeable bartenders, good vibe on weekdays (fridays/sat not so much). Can get pricey. Try the Ross Collins, their spin on the Tom Collins.

La Cita - Very hipster-ish but on certain nights the dance floor can be on fire.

Bar 107 - seedy biker type of bar. Has a dancefloor but everytime I've been there no girl wants to dance because a ring of guys just stare at the girls.

Bottega Louie - Small and not really a bar, but the food is great and the martinis are the best in downtown.

Far bar - Good luck finding it, but when you do it's got a great vibe. Daikokuya noodles afterwards are the best.

Redwood Bar - Pirate themed bar that has all sorts of people. Very local bands play on certain days.

The Varnish, Golden Gopher, Coles and Broadway Bar - All owned by the same guy who owns Seven Grand. They are not bad bars, just not worth seeking out unless you have no other choice. The Varnish especially. I've been there twice and the full bar had two people serving everyone at tables.. our drinks took 20 minutes. He also just opened a tequila bar across the street from Coles, but I have not been.

The Edison - More upscale and expensive. Decent, but has gone downhill. Gone are the glory days of the .35 martini happy hour. The strict dress code here is a turnoff.

Ciudad - Decent. The food makes it worth it and if you get butt drunk you can skinny dip in the Bonaventure's pool across the street. (Not recommended in the winter.)

Yardhouse - The vibe you'd expect, but the beer selection is the best in downtown.

Edit: Just got back from the Spring Street Bar, opened two weeks ago. ~25ish beers on tap, 5-7 per beer. Good selection, good vibe. Small-ish place but will definitely visit again.

sonnyboy11
05-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Daikokuya absolutely dominates all noodles- east.. west... wherever. Just have to be up for a 45+ minute wait at all times.

I like Yardhouse but the crowds are crazy at LA Live. I prefer the Cork or Bottle Rock outside LA Live. There are others close too if you want booze within walking distance of a show.

Oh, the Edison- yea echo your sentiments. Not sure what they are going for there anymore. Just did a birthday party for a friend there. Ok, but the dress code and crowds were not appealing. Terrific dirty martini tho.

bleep
05-02-2010, 08:13 PM
For my part yesterday, I tried two links I haven't had yet- Austin Blues and the Duck/Jalepeno/Bacon sausage. I did the former with sauerkraut and the latter with grilled onions- FREAKIN WIN!
funny enough, these two are the only sausages at Wurstkuche that i've tried!

Daikokuya absolutely dominates all noodles- east.. west... wherever. Just have to be up for a 45+ minute wait at all times.
their gyoza also gets an A+. i always get my own plate of gyoza, no sharing.

JamesMills
05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Great analyses, sonnyboy and mmsk. Thanks a bunch

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Nice thread! I just moved to LA myself. Koreatown. I've only been here two weeks and I'm already sick of Korean BBQ and karaoke bars. This thread is going to be a great resource for me too. Wurstkuche looks amazing! Totally checking that out asap.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Rage, if you like bowling, your local Shatto 39 Lanes is one of the best bowling alleys in L.A. Best part about it is that even if you have to wait for a lane, they have a HUGE pool hall inside with the bar where you can hang out.

http://shatto39lanes.com/

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Rage, if you like bowling, your local Shatto 39 Lanes is one of the best bowling alleys in L.A. Best part about it is that even if you have to wait for a lane, they have a HUGE pool hall inside with the bar where you can hang out.

http://shatto39lanes.com/

Drinkey, that's awesome! Thanks, man. I'm having a congrats-on-living-with-the-largest-Korean-population-outside-of-Seol warming in a couple of wks and was looking for something local for us to do after dinner and before hitting up W. Hollywood. This is perfect. Can even walk there. Cheers!

jgafs
05-03-2010, 03:44 PM
The Townhouse (Venice, right off the boardwalk at Windward Circle)
The Dime (on Fairfax just below Melrose)
Saint's and Sinner's (on Venice Blvd. just east of the 405)
Brennan's (Venice, on Lincoln Blvd. live Turtle racing on Thurs. Nites)

MantisMel
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
The Abbey in WeHo.

You would like this bar GPS! The only time I go here is when it's Girls night Out with my gay friends! lol!

fatbastard
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Quick, what did the abbey used to be called?

sonnyboy11
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Nice thread! I just moved to LA myself. Koreatown. I've only been here two weeks and I'm already sick of Korean BBQ and karaoke bars. This thread is going to be a great resource for me too. Wurstkuche looks amazing! Totally checking that out asap.

Happy to help Rage- welcome! I just recently moved to downtown and love it so far.

Come check out Urth Caffe in downtown on 4th street when you get a chance. They have a crazy freaking good curry chicken salad sandwich. Also, their turkey burger is truly one of the top turkey burgers I have ever tasted. I've also tried their lox/capers/cream cheese/tomatoes/bagel plate and would recommend it. And they have a capucinno that will earn your respect! A caffeine blast of the highest order

http://www.urthcaffe.com/

Also, while your there, look across the street at Barker Block... I live there! :)

sonnyboy11
05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Eh, while I am rolling, anyone try this place yet?

http://www.lazyoxcanteen.com/

I am hearing lots of good things.

fatbastard
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Happy to help Rage- welcome! I just recently moved to downtown and love it so far.

Come check out Urth Caffe in downtown on 4th street when you get a chance. They have a crazy freaking good curry chicken salad sandwich. Also, their turkey burger is truly one of the top turkey burgers I have ever tasted. I've also tried their lox/capers/cream cheese/tomatoes/bagel plate and would recommend it. And they have a capucinno that will earn your respect! A caffeine blast of the highest order

Also, while your there, look across the street at Barker Block... I live there! :)

Geeze. You don't know that you live on Hewitt?

Spanish Latte with the egg white and spinich pannini is my favorite.

sonnyboy11
05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Geeze. You don't know that you live on Hewitt?

Spanish Latte with the egg white and spinich pannini is my favorite.

I meant Hewitt and 4th. Geez...

RoughSteez
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Eh, while I am rolling, anyone try this place yet?

http://www.lazyoxcanteen.com/

I am hearing lots of good things.

Co-workers were talking about this place today, they went on saturday and said it was excellent. They said they particularly liked the pig ears and rice pudding. I really want to try this place.

bmack86
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey, Shatto Lanes! I live about 5 blocks east of there.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-04-2010, 01:08 AM

Urth Caffe sounds nice, sonnyboy. I have a business lunch in downtown this week. I'm going to push for Urth Caffe. Tell my mum I say hi.

Hey, Shatto Lanes! I live about 5 blocks east of there.

That would put you in... Westlake? I'm still trying to learn all the LA neighborhoods. I'm just a few blocks west of Shatto Lanes myself.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
A bunch of friends of mine were heading out to the Lazy Ox on Friday night...i will need to get reports.

I don't know if it's been mentioned around here yet, but my favorite new watering hole lately is Dillon's Irish Pub on Hollywood and Vine. Cheap beers (decent selection of tap beers for $3/pint or $5/22oz), really tasty pub grub, nice decor, and an insane army of hot waitresses and bartenders dressed up like slutty Catholic school girls.

I have a group that's been making a Friday happy hour out of it, and I just take the Metro down from NoHo. It does get very crowded, which is really the only downside.

http://www.dillonsirishpub.com/

bballarl
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but the Daily Pint in Santa Monica kicks ass. They have an excellent scotch selection to go with a pretty good beer selection. Additionally, a Philly Cheesesteak truck hangs out outside.

bmack86
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Woah, I've never seen the cheesesteak truck. I love me some daily pint though.

shermanoaksyo
05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Roger Room

The Well/The Woods in Hollywood. Frolic Room is also good. Musso & Frank's for cheap martinis

Tom fuckin' Bergin's

The patio area at the Chateau Marmont

The Mandrake!

Gold Room in echo park could be aces but they're at the point where they need to have a rope & stop cramming the place full of assholes to the point where it's a fire hazard

RIP THE DUME ROOM IN MALIBU, YOU WERE BY FAR THE BEST BAR IN CALIFORNIA. MAY YOU REST IN PEACE.

fatbastard
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but the Daily Pint in Santa Monica kicks ass. They have an excellent scotch selection to go with a pretty good beer selection. Additionally, a Philly Cheesesteak truck hangs out outside.

Hmmm.

shermanoaksyo
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I live in downtown and everything is subjective but here are my highs and lows:

Seven Grand - Great, knowledgeable bartenders, good vibe on weekdays (fridays/sat not so much). Can get pricey. Try the Ross Collins, their spin on the Tom Collins.

La Cita - Very hipster-ish but on certain nights the dance floor can be on fire.

Bar 107 - seedy biker type of bar. Has a dancefloor but everytime I've been there no girl wants to dance because a ring of guys just stare at the girls.

Bottega Louie - Small and not really a bar, but the food is great and the martinis are the best in downtown.

Far bar - Good luck finding it, but when you do it's got a great vibe. Daikokuya noodles afterwards are the best.

Redwood Bar - Pirate themed bar that has all sorts of people. Very local bands play on certain days.

The Varnish, Golden Gopher, Coles and Broadway Bar - All owned by the same guy who owns Seven Grand. They are not bad bars, just not worth seeking out unless you have no other choice. The Varnish especially. I've been there twice and the full bar had two people serving everyone at tables.. our drinks took 20 minutes. He also just opened a tequila bar across the street from Coles, but I have not been.

The Edison - More upscale and expensive. Decent, but has gone downhill. Gone are the glory days of the .35 martini happy hour. The strict dress code here is a turnoff.

Ciudad - Decent. The food makes it worth it and if you get butt drunk you can skinny dip in the Bonaventure's pool across the street. (Not recommended in the winter.)

Yardhouse - The vibe you'd expect, but the beer selection is the best in downtown.

Edit: Just got back from the Spring Street Bar, opened two weeks ago. ~25ish beers on tap, 5-7 per beer. Good selection, good vibe. Small-ish place but will definitely visit again.

Great summary although I have seen Bar 107 hopping w/ a great vibe. I would add that the Doheny - now renamed Cana, I think - has a great smoking patio and they have dropped the whole BS membership thing. Library Bar someone else mentioned - and then there is of course the roof of the Standard, which is totally passe but for which I will always have a soft spot.

shermanoaksyo
05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Broadway Bar and Golden Gopher are really not so bad. The Varnish/Cole's does blow, you're dead on there.

JamesMills
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
A bunch of friends of mine were heading out to the Lazy Ox on Friday night...i will need to get reports.

I don't know if it's been mentioned around here yet, but my favorite new watering hole lately is Dillon's Irish Pub on Hollywood and Vine. Cheap beers (decent selection of tap beers for $3/pint or $5/22oz), really tasty pub grub, nice decor, and an insane army of hot waitresses and bartenders dressed up like slutty Catholic school girls.

I have a group that's been making a Friday happy hour out of it, and I just take the Metro down from NoHo. It does get very crowded, which is really the only downside.

http://www.dillonsirishpub.com/

I love Dillon's for the cheap beer and beautiful servers, but I wish the it wasn't always always congested to hell and I don't really dig the crowd. Not really a good place for singles to mingle either.

JamesMills
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I forgot to mention Bar Lubitsch on Santa Monica and Curson-ish. Great dance floor and decent DJ, used to be my favorite spot.

ThomThom
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
When to a place called The Tar Pit off of Melrose and LaBrea last night and had a mighty fine drink named the "Tennessee Trilogy" and some duck sliders. I was very pleased.

ThomThom
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
James I think there is a pretty good thread in the misc lounge that gives detailed reviews/pictures of bars in LA that many of us participated in, you should see about digging it up, I tried but my thread searching skills blow.

TallGuyCM
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
When to a place called The Tar Pit off of Melrose and LaBrea last night and had a mighty fine drink named the "Tennessee Trilogy" and some duck sliders. I was very pleased.

Duck sliders?? Whoa.

AmoryAnn
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
The Abbey in WeHo.

Love, love, LOVE the Abbey!!!

beavington
05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Why follow me around if you don't appreciate them?

I'm just kind of stoked that I finally found a forum with people whose opinions on music are of great value to me. There's a lot of questions I've always wanted to ask these kinds of people but never really had the chance to since most of my friends listen to vastly different music than myself. I think someone's taste in music can be a significantly determining factor in how they'll gel with others, so I'm curious to how those others feel about some things.

I won't be making anymore threads for awhile since I got most of those questions out of me, though I'm interested in what people think about this one.

who give a fuck if that whiney cunt gets mad that you made 9 threads in one week (i cant believe someone actually counts them). THey can get over it really.

I really like Red Lion in Silverlake, and Good Luck Bar can be fun, and so can the Ye Olde Rustic Inn (shit its been a minute since i have been there so the actual name escapes me now). Short Stop is fun too when it isnt overly packed with people with no sense of humor. Greg Dulli used to tend the bar there but didnt see him the last few times i went in there.

I would love to find more good bars but sadly I dont spend as much time in LA.

MassonaBlackEyes
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
it's all about the powerhouse on hollywood and highland

they dont card

and you can see drunk asians perform karaoke

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
i have been VERY shitfaced at the Powerhouse. $3 pints of PBR.

beavington
05-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Ever been to the (i think it is called) Sinaloa...or it could jsut be proud of where they are from..but it is behind the SMell. speaking of shitfaced druink for cheap...well they dont have ultra cool PBR but they had 1.75 coronas which is a pretty sweet deal...and it is a nice mexican tranny/whore bar

sonnyboy11
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Co-workers were talking about this place today, they went on saturday and said it was excellent. They said they particularly liked the pig ears and rice pudding. I really want to try this place.

I rocked it tonight and had both the pig ears and the rice pudding. Also tried a yellowtail dish, an asparagus dish, and a few other things. All the dishes were good and it's all what I would consider "community" food. The place is kinda pricey to be honest but our bill was a bit jacked up by the wine my wife and her friend ordered. I'd definitely go back. Very eclectic place. I still could not help but think about Daikokuya right around the corner though. :)

corbo
05-07-2010, 03:31 PM
the 7G guys are also suuuuper knowledgeable and love talking about whisky. I learn a lot when i go in there.

what are some good whiskey mixed drinks?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-07-2010, 03:34 PM

I am sure they have good mixed drinks, but i try to find a really good whiskey to drink neat or with some water. If I'm going to drink whiskey, I'd rather pay $15 for a glass of something REALLY good and drink it straight.

I totally could not name any names though. i just hang out at bars and go by the bartender's judgment, Most of the time it's not something I could just go to a store and buy anyway.

RoughSteez
05-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Whiskey Sour or a Whiskey and water, like mentioned, is all i would recommend. Good whiskey is great just straight up.

bmack86
05-07-2010, 11:51 PM
The best whiskey mixed drinks are the Old Fashioned, the Sazerac, and the High Ball. They make a fantastic Highball at 7 Grand, and they use a killer ginger beer to really give it a kick. Old Fashioned is a good whiskey with a bitters-soaked sugar cube dropped in it. Delicious, although Cole's in Downtown makes it better than 7G

suprefan
05-08-2010, 08:28 AM
new place in downtown called Spring St, they have 26 domestic beers on tap. All range between 5 - 7 bux. Cant beat that.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I was supposed to meet a friend at Hamburger Mary's tomorrow and she just canceled. Which brings me to my question. Best burger joints in LA? I'm in Koreatown, but let's not limit this to just one neighborhood. I've read some raves for Cassell's, but it looks like it's strictly a lunch establishment.

gaypalmsprings
05-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I was supposed to meet a friend at Hamburger Mary's tomorrow and she just canceled.

Doesn't she like gays?

I used to love the Hamburger Hamlet.

sonnyboy11
05-08-2010, 07:15 PM
I used to work at Hamburger Mary's up in SF for several years in my "early" days in CA. Love that place.

For burgers, I am a fan of The Counter in Santa Monica. Their meat is quality. I do have to say though I am not the biggest fan of their atmosphere. Still recommended.

I guess like Aoki above I need a good burger recommendation in downtown. I got a lot of other food bases covered here but a good burger is one I am lacking.

bmack86
05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I was supposed to meet a friend at Hamburger Mary's tomorrow and she just canceled. Which brings me to my question. Best burger joints in LA? I'm in Koreatown, but let's not limit this to just one neighborhood. I've read some raves for Cassell's, but it looks like it's strictly a lunch establishment.

Cassells is one of the best straightforward burgers I've had. They grind the meat there, and they get the buns fresh from a bakery every day. All they do is grill the burger and give you whatever cheese you want, and then you load up the condiments and veggies as you see fit (they're in a bar right by the register.) The burger itself is delicious, and the fries weren't bad either.

I'm a big fan of the Father's Office burger, but it's not really a hamburger in the way I think of a burger: more of a ground beef sandwich. They have a grilled onion/bacon compote on it that's insanely good.

The Counter's becoming a chain I guess, but I know that the original one on Ocean Walk is pretty spectacular. Build your own burger joint.

Apple Pan has a good one as well, but they're a little small for the price.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Bmack! You guys are better than Yelp!

Doesn't she like gays?

Ha ha ha! I didn't mention that my friend was Anita Bryant?

Any thoughts on Irv's Burgers? The Yelp reviews (http://www.yelp.com/biz/irvs-burgers-west-hollywood) are almost universally positive (nay, ecstatic!) but they're more about the service than the burger itself. I just happen to be in that neighborhood tomorrow, but these recommendations from all over LA are most welcome.

bmack86
05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
The big advantage of Cassell's for you (and me, since I live right on the other side of Vermont from K-town) is that you can probably walk to it, since parking there is a bitch.

I remember the onion rings more than the burgers at Irv's. They were really good.

sonnyboy11
05-08-2010, 08:32 PM
The Counter's becoming a chain I guess, but I know that the original one on Ocean Walk is pretty spectacular

Ocean Park is the street actually. It's right across the street from where I work.

I'm not really a big Apple Pan fan. A bit overrated if you ask me. I still need to check out Father's Office for various reasons.

I should mention that I remembered The Cork over on Hope Street (bottom floor of Evo South) has a really good burger. They also have a killer cheese/charcuterie platter.

gaypalmsprings
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Ha ha ha! I didn't mention that my friend was Anita Bryant?

Zing!

shermanoaksyo
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Cassell's is so great

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
The Counter's becoming a chain I guess, but I know that the original one on Ocean Walk is pretty spectacular. Build your own burger joint.

Yeah there's a COunter in Sherman Oaks and it is INSANE. my boss took me for my birthday a month ago and my face exploded. It's also where I unexpectedly sat next to KroqKen, so that' an added bonus of the location.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry, have I derailed this thread? We definitely have veered into all kinds of culinary areas outside of the "bars" description. Ah well. I'd also like to solicit LA recommendations for Chinese, Thai, Pan-Asian and Indian restaurants. Good Indian food was hard to come by in San Diego. I'm hoping it's better in LA. What you got?

bleep
05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Annapurna on Venice in Culver City serves solid South Indian veg food. it's reasonably priced and does the trick when i'm craving curry but am too lazy to cook. that area on Venice has a small cluster of South Asian grocery stores and restaurants actually.

the "Little India of SoCal" is on Pioneer Blvd in Artesia. a bit of a drive, but there are a whole lot of Indian and Pakistani restaurants there.

whynotsmile99
05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Sorry, have I derailed this thread? We definitely have veered into all kinds of culinary areas outside of the "bars" description. Ah well. I'd also like to solicit LA recommendations for Chinese, Thai, Pan-Asian and Indian restaurants. Good Indian food was hard to come by in San Diego. I'm hoping it's better in LA. What you got?

there's an LA food thread somewhere around here.

There are a million little Thai places in LA. I've been to so many. I really like Saladang and Saladang Song, sister restaurants right next to each other. Different menus and atmosphere, both are excellent. Saladang Song in particular is really nice and romantic at night. These are in Pasadena

Also of note is Toi on Sunset, sort of a hipster rock and roll Thai place. I know that probably made you roll your eyes, but when you are craving good Thai food at 2:30am, it's the place to go. I think it's open till 4am, sunset blvd past La Brea. GOod service, surprisingly great Thai food with good vegetarian options. It's all rock and Roll theme, Bowie and punk rock constantly blast from the speakers, old rock posters all over the wall. ANd you are encouraged to graffitti all over the bathroom so don't forget your sharpie.

There's a great Thai desert place right in Thai town, which is East Hollywod. Hit up Jumbos and walk down a block for some great thai sweets

For Indian I would recommend this place in Glendale:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/indias-flavor-glendale#query:Flavor%20of%20India

it can hold maybe 20 people, just a little family owned place in a strip mall. Excellent authentic indian-pakistani food, big menu and great prices/portions. I live like a mile away and go there quite frequently

There's also a little Thai place down the street from that Indian place that I love. Just a sweet old Thai lady whipping up awesome plates of noodles and curry for 5 bucks.

Getting back to bars, I just went to the Cha Cha room last night for the first time. Really dug it! Good crowd and music, and actually more ladies then men. Rare in LA bars it seems

sonnyboy11
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Back to alcohol- you really owe it to yourselves to get over to the Tiki Ti at least once in your life. The place has big, fruity drinks that will knock you on your ass (ask me how I know). It's not very big inside, they're "cash only", and the crowds and wait can be a bit of a pain. It is still quite the experience

http://www.tiki-ti.com/

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the Asian tips, people. Tiki Ti looks like fun, sonnyboy. Any recommended drinks?

sonnyboy11
05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Zombie and Ray's Mistake. Just... don't get fooled by the luverly fruity taste.

I'd like to try that Space Pilot. Big fan of dark rum. Get that one too if you go and let me know what you think.

bmack86
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
The best Chinese food is apparently in San Gabriel valley, but I really like JR Bistro in Chinatown. They have really awesome prices, some fantastic more americanized dishes and a good selection of traditional Chinese plates as well.

Also, Yang Chow is worth trying just for the slippery shrimp. That dish is phenomenally amazing. Likewise in Chinatown. We always get the Peking duck as well, and it never disappoints.

Jaipur in Westwood is some pretty excellent Indian food. It's a tad bit pricey, but the quality is very high. My Indian roommate would always take me there when his parents came to town, and they are very particular about their food, so that speaks well for it.

Another Indian restaurant that they took me to, and probably the best Indian food I've found in LA, is Paru's in Hollywood. It's on Sunset, and from the outside it looks super sketchy (there are bars on the windows and you have to buzz to get in). On the inside it's a really nice homestyle kitchen and they only serve vegetarian south indian dishes. Their dosa is incredible. Definitely worth trying.

mmsk123
05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
There's an indian place in Silverlake where you have to like sit down cross-legged. They have no air conditioning so the heat+curry is like sweat extreme. Kind of uncomfortable but the food is amazing. I'm not even sure it's there anymore.

There's also a bar on Hyperion in Silverlake.. Hyperion Tavern? It's not even a building it's like a bar built into a house almost. It's got Rock Band Wednesday nights. It's not for everyone, but if you play it's pretty fun to go to.

bmack86
05-11-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah, Hyperion Tavern. It's a cool place.

JamesMills
05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
The Beauty Bar on cahuenga in Hollywood rocks

shermanoaksyo
05-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah there's a COunter in Sherman Oaks and it is INSANE. my boss took me for my birthday a month ago and my face exploded. It's also where I unexpectedly sat next to KroqKen, so that' an added bonus of the location.

It's in Studio City, not Sherman Oaks (yo).

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-11-2010, 11:23 AM
It's in Studio City, not Sherman Oaks (yo).

Ah. I work in Sherman Oaks and it was a really quick drive...the transition from Sherm to Studio on Ventura happens quickly

shermanoaksyo
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
S.O./S.C. border is approx. at Coldwater Canyon.

Mr. Dylanja
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Any good places to drink around The Wiltern?

coolhandluck
05-13-2010, 05:47 PM
It's tough to find a good Chinese place on the Westside. The only one I like, and I happen to like it very much, is Little Hong Kong Cafe on Sawtelle, just north of Olympic. Best Kung Pao Chicken I've ever had. I also like the Hong Kong style pan fried noodles with seafood and vegetables. Would like to find a Dim Sum place somewhere close.

sonnyboy11
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
It's tough to find a good Chinese place on the Westside. The only one I like, and I happen to like it very much, is Little Hong Kong Cafe on Sawtelle, just north of Olympic. Best Kung Pao Chicken I've ever had. I also like the Hong Kong style pan fried noodles with seafood and vegetables. Would like to find a Dim Sum place somewhere close.

Isn't that the place right next to Hurry Curry?

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
At work we had lunch catered from Bay Cities Deli yesterday. I don't know what you lot were going on about. My pastrami sandwich was worse that the shit they serve at Subway. The pastrami had no flavor, the bread was sopping wet from being doused in a bland italian seasoning and the cheese was a little off. Any good Jewish style/NY style delis in LA? Would love to get a tongue sandwich.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Canter's is a Jew's paradise. OM NOM NOM

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Canter's looks awesome! And close to work. Definitely checking that one out.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
the bar at Canter's, The Kibitz Room, can be fun to hang out at too if you like to meet crazy people. You'll often find foreigners staying at the hostel on Melrose there as well.

sonnyboy11
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
At work we had lunch catered from Bay Cities Deli yesterday. I don't know what you lot were going on about. My pastrami sandwich was worse that the shit they serve at Subway. The pastrami had no flavor, the bread was sopping wet from being doused in a bland italian seasoning and the cheese was a little off. Any good Jewish style/NY style delis in LA? Would love to get a tongue sandwich.

I spent several years in NYC (great town) and haven't found even one that comes remotely close to this in LA

http://www.katzdeli.com/

I LOVE Los Angeles, but we just don't get deli right here imo. And nothing even close to Katz's. Plus ya got Russ and Daughters about a block and a half away from Katz' with the very best lox you could ever put on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. Gebus.

However we do get a lot of other things right here in LA. Sushi is a huge strength here. Japanese noodles in Little Tokyo are the best in the country. We definitely defeat the east coast in ANY type of Mexican cuisine. But deli? Nah. NYC kills us there.

Still, for a decent pastrami sandwich that won't kill you here, Johnnies in Culver City is alright. Good enough and open late after a concert at 2am in the morning. Really good cole slaw. Cash only.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnnies-pastrami-restaurant-culver-city

shermanoaksyo
05-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I spent several years in NYC (great town) and haven't found even one that comes remotely close to this in LA

http://www.katzdeli.com/

I LOVE Los Angeles, but we just don't get deli right here imo. And nothing even close to Katz's. Plus ya got Russ and Daughters about a block and a half away from Katz' with the very best lox you could ever put on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. Gebus.

However we do get a lot of other things right here in LA. Sushi is a huge strength here. Japanese noodles in Little Tokyo are the best in the country. We definitely defeat the east coast in ANY type of Mexican cuisine. But deli? Nah. NYC kills us there.

Still, for a decent pastrami sandwich that won't kill you here, Johnnies in Culver City is alright. Good enough and open late after a concert at 2am in the morning. Really good cole slaw. Cash only.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnnies-pastrami-restaurant-culver-city

LANGERS BRO

sonnyboy11
05-14-2010, 01:41 PM
LANGERS BRO

It's ok. Not Katz's tho.

shermanoaksyo
05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
meat at katz's is a little better, but Langers; a better overall sandwich. langer's is a bit more cozy as well.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-15-2010, 01:50 AM
You guys are awesome. How do you know all these places? Do you spend all your disposable income on food?

So I'm in K'Town. Obviously, there are dozens of Korean BBQ places on every corner. Sometimes multiple Korean BBQ restaurants in one strip mall. I've been to two (the signs were completely in Korean so I have no idea what the names were) and they were absolutely dreadful. K'Town Korean BBQ restaurant recommendations?

whynotsmile99
05-15-2010, 08:20 AM
i can't personally recommend any Korean BBQ but if you are in K Town you have to go here

http://www.yelp.com/biz/caffe-brass-monkey-los-angeles#query:karaoke%20bars

It's one of the karaoke bars I actually like. Great atmosphere and fun crowd that treats the place like a nightclub. Big celebrity hangout apparently as well. manny pacquiao has his pictures all over the walls. apparently he used to hang out there before he got famous and still comes back every time he's in LA. A bouncer told me he always has his birthday party there

JamesMills
05-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Any good places to drink around The Wiltern?

Anyone?

The. National. Is. COMING!

mmsk123
05-15-2010, 02:41 PM
There's a korean pizza place a block or two west of the Wiltern on wilshire that has this sweet potato pizza that's worth a try. They have some drinks there as well. Not really a bar but if you haven't been it's one place at least.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Anyone?

The. National. Is. COMING!

I drive by the Wiltern every day. It's mainly a business district, not much nightlife. I think you're looking at HMS Bounty on Wilshire, but that's not exactly nearby (about a mile east on Wilshire) near the Gaylord Apartments.

sonnyboy11
05-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Wurstkuche is only 15 minutes away (if that) from the Wiltern. Seriously thinking about ending both nights for MA there

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=S+Hewitt+St&daddr=3790+Wilshire+Boulevard,+Los+Angeles,+CA+900 05+(The+Wiltern)&geocode=FSN9BwIdNtzz-A%3BFZu8BwId8L_y-CFvPiaGJLv2OSkP4V8phbjCgDE0N1uEQOoFow&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=34.042276,-118.235722&sspn=0.00889,0.019205&ie=UTF8&ll=34.052162,-118.276405&spn=0.071113,0.153637&z=13

RageAgainst
05-15-2010, 06:59 PM
LANGERS BRO

Best pastrami ive had they sell it twenty bux a pound :)

karecares
05-15-2010, 09:28 PM
I spend entirely too much time at this place

Doesn't help that I just bought a condo within walking distance of it. While it does not have hard liquor, I'd argue its on-tap German and Belgian beers alone make it worth the schlep. And as for the sausages... well, check the menu on the above link yourself. It's as spectacular as it sounds. Plus, I have met quite a few people there in the communal beer garden who I'm starting to think of as friends. Very interesting place.

I can't wait to try this place out. 3 veg. choices?!!! i never get more than one choice, if i'm lucky in a meat place

karecares
05-15-2010, 09:31 PM
The Abbey in WeHo.

GPS do you know if this is the same Abbey that was in San Diego? I checked the website but it didn't mention it. I loved the SD one, amazing food & owners

JamesMills
05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I can't wait to try this place out. 3 veg. choices?!!! i never get more than one choice, if i'm lucky in a meat place

Seriously, me too. I'm so excited to check this place out.

coolhandluck
05-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Okay, went by Wurstkuche today. Happened to be near downtown LA round noon today (Sunday) and went for it. The immediate area seems safe enough but wouldn't want to have my car break down three blocks away.

Anyway, at Noon-ish, it was relatively uncrowded and since I didn't want to drink that early, it was all about the food.

I decided to start simple and get the Hot Italian with carmelized onions and spicy peppers.

They grill the bun on the grill which I love. It gives the bun a crispy texture on the outside. The caramelized onions and spicy peppers were hot, but not mushy or liquidity. Definitely tasted like they were freshly made, not cooked hours before and then kept warm. I thought the sausage itself was spicy and not overpowering.

It was excellent although I will hold off on giving this place a rave review. That can only happen after many visits and at different times drinking various brews. I can see how there will be a line out the door with the slowness of ordering which, I guess, keeps a regulated flow of people into the place. I'm curious to see how it is when crowded.

BTW, I'm looking at the menu now. Here are the three vegetarian offerings:

Vegetarian Italian - Fennel, garlic, red peppers, and eggplant
Vegetarian Smoked Apple Sage - Apples, Yukon Gold Potatoes, and rubbed sage
Vegetarian Mexican Chipotle - Chipotle, chille di arbol peppers, garlic, and onions

RoughSteez
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I frequent Wurstkuche on the weekends and after like 7pm it starts filling up and it gets pretty packed after 8:30. Sometimes we have to wait to find an open space at the long tables but I think its worth it. Live dj at night but sometimes they really suck. I think you should go back to try their beer's, the food is pretty good but I definitely wouldn't go there to just eat. Definitely all about the beer menu and the german pub ambiance. Best experienced at night, in my opinion.

Although you made the Hot Italian sound incredible. I must try it now.

bmack86
05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
There are a few very good sausages at Wurstkuche. The Hot Italian is fantastic, as are the Austin Blues and the Louisiana Hot Link. They have a great hand with more classic sausages. I haven't tried the Chicken Apple, but I bet they do a great job.

fatbastard
05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Chicken apple sucks. Austin blues is my favorite. I get mine with sweet peppers.

JustSteve
05-17-2010, 01:56 PM

One opens here in Newport this summer...been keeping an eye out looking for some progress, seems like the sign has been up since last summer.

solution
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Bay Cities is an italian style deli, not a jewish deli.
Go back and try the Godmother.

sonnyboy11
05-20-2010, 07:09 PM

I've eaten the Godmother several times and loved it. I do ask them to go easy on the dressing but other than that, killer sammich.

Chicken apple sucks. Austin blues is my favorite. I get mine with sweet peppers.

Got a day off tomorrow to recover from two late nights with Massive Attack and then a big (successful) presentation at work today. My reward? An afternoon at Wurstkuche! I'll give your suggestion of Austin Blues with peppers a try. Also, still recommending the Filipino for those who have not tried it. I like that one a lot.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Yeah, I know it's an Italian deli. I've had fantastic pastrami sandwiches at Italian delis before. The one I had from Bay Cities was a complete disaster -- absolutely drenched in a foul dressing, no flavor in the meat, cheese that seemed a bit off. Perhaps it was just an off day? You all do seem to rave about this place.

Or maybe I just have a different palate. I went to Roscoe's with a friend last night. First time for both of us. The staff was super nice, the service was fast. The food was so average. If I'm going to eat something so unhealthy, I would expect so much more flavor there. I've honestly gotten better fried chicken from Alberton's. It wasn’t bad by any stretch, but I was expecting so much more. The chicken hardly had any flavor. The breading/batter was so lightly applied; it was barely there. Zero crunch. The Mac n Cheese was decent, but nothing special. I just don’t get it.

RoughSteez
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Or maybe I just have a different palate. I went to Roscoe's with a friend last night. First time for both of us. The staff was super nice, the service was fast. The food was so average. If I'm going to eat something so unhealthy, I would expect so much more flavor there. I've honestly gotten better fried chicken from Alberton's. It wasn’t bad by any stretch, but I was expecting so much more. The chicken hardly had any flavor. The breading/batter was so lightly applied; it was barely there. Zero crunch. The Mac n Cheese was decent, but nothing special. I just don’t get it.

I'm with you on that. I went to the one in Long Beach last year for the first time and the service was absolutely terrible and the food was just mediocre for all the hype. Probably won't go back. I'm surprised so many people say they love that place.

RoughSteez
05-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Went to Wurstkuche last night and had the Rattlesnake + Rabbit + Jalapeno Sausage with Peppers and Onions, It was awesome. Highly recommend it.

sonnyboy11
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Went to Wurstkuche last night and had the Rattlesnake + Rabbit + Jalapeno Sausage with Peppers and Onions, It was awesome. Highly recommend it.

Good to hear. That sausuage is suprisingly good and not just a novelty. Did you rock sauerkraut or sweet peppers with it? Which beer did you decide on?

I was there for a few hours yesterday in the afternoon. Tried both the Lousiana Hot Link and the Buffalo, Beef, Pork both for the first time. I went with grilled onions on the hot link and sauerkraut on the BB&P (in hindsight I should have switched that up and put the onions on the BB&P). Both were great! 2 liters of Spatan Pils too. It was a lazy day once work was outta the way. Wurstkuche makes me happy.

bmack86
05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
I had an optimator at Wurstkuche today. It's nice to go during the day.

RoughSteez
05-22-2010, 06:27 PM
I did the sweet peppers with the it. Not a huge fan of sauerkraut, but i'll get around to trying it just to find out if they got something quality. I paired the sausage with a Aventinus Eisbock and then a glass of the La Chouffe golden ale, both were good but opposite type beers. I definitely liked the Aventinus better though, the rich bold flavor it delivers is too good.

Next time I will definitely try the Duck + Bacon sausage. It was a close decision between that and the Rattlesnake + Rabbit + Jalapeno last time.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-23-2010, 03:22 PM
if you're ever in the valley and hankering for a good sausage, Brats Brothers on Ventura Blvd near Woodman is really terrific. It's on the same block i work on, so I eat there a lot. Only bummer is that it's a small take-out style place and they don't have beer. Their sausage selection is great, and don't forget to try the authentic German pretzel, YUM

http://www.bratsbrothers.com/menu

sonnyboy11
05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
if you're ever in the valley and hankering for a good sausage, Brats Brothers on Ventura Blvd near Woodman is really terrific. It's on the same block i work on, so I eat there a lot. Only bummer is that it's a small take-out style place and they don't have beer. Their sausage selection is great, and don't forget to try the authentic German pretzel, YUM

http://www.bratsbrothers.com/menu

That is a sweet lookin menu. I loves me some Sauerbraten! Shame about the lack of beer tho. I'll check it out next time I am over that direction.

ThomThom
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I remember somebody at Wurstkuche telling me that a west side location was going to be opening at some point in time in the near future, this was about 3 months ago, anybody know anything about that?

TallGuyCM
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I remember somebody at Wurstkuche telling me that a west side location was going to be opening at some point in time in the near future, this was about 3 months ago, anybody know anything about that?

Yes. I know that if that happens, then I will be even more broke than I am now. ;)

shermanoaksyo
05-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Huarache Azteca in Highland Park.

fatbastard
05-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Sorry man, that place is crap.

shermanoaksyo
05-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Nope. It's not exactly a high-end place, though, you might have showed up during an off day/night. For the record, the one near Dodger Stadium is not as good as the one across the river.

dripdripdrop
05-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Casita Del Campo in Silverlake has some awesome Mexican food and margaritas. A friend took me on my birthday and afterward we watched a show that was held downstairs called "Chico's Angels". It was basically Charlie's Angels with Latina drag queens. Good times.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Casita Del Campo in Silverlake has some awesome Mexican food and margaritas. A friend took me on my birthday and afterward we watched a show that was held downstairs called "Chico's Angels". It was basically Charlie's Angels with Latina drag queens. Good times.

This sounds amazing.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Ha! If that's the same group, I think I've seen Chico's Angels perform in OC and they were a riot. I usually find drag acts a total snoozefest, but they were really funny.

Went to Chapa Grill (http://www.chapagrill.net/) with some co-workers for lunch today. Your basic quick casual Mediterranean style grill. Pretty damn good. Not great, but pretty damn good. I had the Jerusalem Mix (Lamb, chicken and beef skewers). The lamb was especially succulent.

ShyGuy75
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
I just don’t get it.

there is nothing to get. its LA. the food is garbage.

JorgeC
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM

This sounds amazing.

Ha! If that's the same group, I think I've seen Chico's Angels perform in OC and they were a riot. I usually find drag acts a total snoozefest, but they were really funny.

Chico's Angel's is fuckin hilarious. They have 4 "episodes" and they are worth going back and rewatching cuz they usually revamp the script each time they redo an episode. My favorite is probably the one where they are undercover high school girls by day/hookers by night.

shermanoaksyo
05-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Oaks Gourmet Breakfast Burrito

RoughSteez
05-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Chico's Angel's is fuckin hilarious. They have 4 "episodes" and they are worth going back and rewatching cuz they usually revamp the script each time they redo an episode. My favorite is probably the one where they are undercover high school girls by day/hookers by night.

This sounds weird as fuck.

I kinda wanna check this out.

JorgeC
05-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Chico's Angels (http://chicosangels.dotfilmz.com/)

didn't even know they started a web-series, i'll have to check it out when I get home. For the Cavern Club theatre, they're all undercover/crime solving plays, complete with original songs. Lots of bad puns and messican accents, but totally hilarious. I remember seeing a "Love Boat" (murder on a cruise) episode, the aformentioned high school/hooker episode, and a beauty pageant episode.

RoughSteez
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Chico's Angels (http://chicosangels.dotfilmz.com/)

didn't even know they started a web-series, i'll have to check it out when I get home. For the Cavern Club theatre, they're all undercover/crime solving plays, complete with original songs. Lots of bad puns and messican accents, but totally hilarious. I remember seeing a "Love Boat" (murder on a cruise) episode, the aformentioned high school/hooker episode, and a beauty pageant episode.

I'm sold. hahaha

mickflyy
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Oaks Gourmet Breakfast Burrito

Describe

dripdripdrop
05-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Shit, I didn't realize they had multiple episodes! I've only seen the "Love Boat" one.

Yeah, the show was hilarious, especially after a couple of margaritas.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Did Canters. Nice for the experience but I can't figure out how it's lasted so long. Food was bland as hell. Tongue sandwich was an embarrassment. I was really looking forward to having a tongue sandwich as there aren't many Jewish delis back in SD. Tried a piece of my friend's 7 layer chocolate cake. The primary ingredient was definitely sugar; super sweet and absolutely no depth of flavor.

On a positive note, I got some surprisingly excellent Drunken Noodles (you know, the ubiquitous spicy Thai noodle dish made with lots of chili past and basil leaves) from Thai Original BBQ.

sonnyboy11
06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Did Canters. Nice for the experience but I can't figure out how it's lasted so long. Food was bland as hell. Tongue sandwich was an embarrassment. I was really looking forward to having a tongue sandwich as there aren't many Jewish delis back in SD. Tried a piece of my friend's 7 layer chocolate cake. The primary ingredient was definitely sugar; super sweet and absolutely no depth of flavor.

Dude- what is it with you and deli in LA? Why not just accept it's not as good here and instead go after the type of food we do well?

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I accept it. I do. I just had to try Canters at least once.

sonnyboy11
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I accept it. I do. I just had to try Canters at least once.

Fair enough. You make it over to Wurstkuche yet? I have the day off tomorrow and will be meeting some friends there around noon to drink beers and eat sausage. Message me if interested.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the invite, sonnyboy11 but I work in Beverly Hills; bit of a trek to downtown for lunch. I am DYING to try it, but I promised my friend Maya that I’d have my first Wurstkuche experience with her when she’s in town later this month.

Hey, has anyone been to Street (http://www.eatatstreet.com/)? Thoughts?

I’m sure many of the foodies on here know about this, but I just read about Black Board Eats (http://blackboardeats.com/) in the LA Times. They give you a new discount offer every day which you can redeem at restaurants across LA. It looks like you have 30 days to redeem each offer. Today’s offer is for a free bottle of wine at Bashan but other offers have been for as much as 40% off your meal at what their editors call the best restaurants in LA.

sonnyboy11
06-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the invite, sonnyboy11 but I work in Beverly Hills; bit of a trek to downtown for lunch. I am DYING to try it, but I promised my friend Maya that I’d have my first Wurstkuche experience with her when she’s in town later this month.

No worries brutha.

Interesting day today. The entire area around 4th and Hewitt was sectioned off by police when me and my friends arrived to try and get into Wurstkuche. We were standing there and outside the yellow tape and we asked a cop if we could even get to Wurstkuche. He said "No way. All this area is closed". Suddenly SWAT rolled in and things got a little crazy. People running and people with vid cameras shooting everything going down. Turns out it was this

http://blogdowntown.com/2010/06/5392-suspect-compared-to-jason-bourne-arrested

We split in the confusion and ate French Dips at Philippes. Delicious! I got a side of potato salad and a kosher pickle to go with. Not NYC deli good but my first time there and I enjoyed it.

My friends dropped me off at home and my normally quiet side street was suddenly a parking lot due to police re-directing traffic off of the now closed 4th Street. I worked for a bit and then once I realized the traffic on my street had cleared (meaning 4th St was now open again) I made my way back up to Wurstkuche. There were still news vans there and reporters on the street. No line for Wurstkuche. So I headed inside and liberated a duck/bacon/jalapeno sausage with the aid of spicy brown mustard a liter of Spaten Pils! I gave channel 2 news the interview afterwards... :D

fatbastard
06-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I can't believe that guy was so stupid to still be in the country. Even worse that he wasn't even more than a mile from his condo. The original story was very interesting. He seems like an idiot now.

sonnyboy11
06-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I can't believe that guy was so stupid to still be in the country. Even worse that he wasn't even more than a mile from his condo. The original story was very interesting. He seems like an idiot now.

Yea, true. But you're missing the important point of the story- there was a girl involved. Guys always ditch logic and sensible action whenever there's a girl in the mix.

RoughSteez
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Holy shit. I had to pull over because there were like 20 or 30 unmarked cop cars blazing past me on Temple yesterday morning, I was wondering what that was all about.

shermanoaksyo
06-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Any suggestions as to where I can get beer w/ breakfast on a weekday? The earlier they open, the better. I assure you I have a very reasonable explanation for why I need this tip.

ThomThom
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Any suggestions as to where I can get beer w/ breakfast on a weekday? The earlier they open, the better. I assure you I have a very reasonable explanation for why I need this tip.

Barney's Beanery is open fairly early and they serve beer all day. I particularly recommend the one in Westwood, service is way better at that location.

suprefan
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
You and Barneys... :: sigh ::

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Tally Rand in Burbank.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Can we talk about clubs for a minute or do I need to start another thread? I'm not exactly a regular clubber, but I do like to go out dancing once in a while. I have a big housewarming/birthday party coming up in July. I'm having about 12 people over for dinner and then the plan is to head out to a couple of clubs to dance the night away. I live in Koreatown so obviously we're not staying in my neighborhood for the clubbing part of the evening. It's going to be a mixed crowd (80% straight, 20% gay) so any West Hollywood suggestions need to be fairly omnisexual. Here's what I'm looking for:

LOC: Hollywood, West Hollywood or near downtown.
DAY: Saturday night
VIBE: Clubs where people actually, you know, get down as opposed to sitting in private booths shipping champagne, a fun party atmosphere.
MUSIC: I'm not too picky for this evening. Is it enough to say good dance music?

NOT LOOKING FOR: Dive bars/quiet corners/bars without DJs/music/dancing

Thanks!!

fatbastard
06-08-2010, 06:14 AM

I normally get the traditional with a side order of pancakes before getting my hair cut down the street.

http://www.luckybaldwins.com/backup/

I.F.A.
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Every time I see this thread it makes me think of the worst bar I've been to in LA.

The Redwood Bar and Grill (which, coincidentally, is also the bar they do karaoke in in 500 Days of Summer - I recognized it when I saw the movie and thought them undeserving of the advertising). I was so excited to go there because, hello, pirate bar! So I went with one of my friends a few years ago when I was out there on a trip. We got in and no one even acknowledged our presence (it was totally dead in there as well, so no excuse). We waited, and waited, and finally we got sat where we waited some more. It took about 15 minutes for a waiter to come, another 10 minutes to even get the water that I asked for (we had been walking all damn day and I was effing thirsty, so this did not help their cause), and then probably another 20 minutes for our food. Which, when it arrived, was so burnt that I literally could not eat it. I clocked it and we spent nearly an hour in there before disgustedly walking out. I was so pissed. It was one of the worst service experiences I have ever had.

fatbastard
06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Blah blah blah, let it go. Know here's the question, what did you think of their burger?

I.F.A.
06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Blah blah blah, let it go. Know here's the question, what did you think of their burger?

I can't - OBVIOUSLY it was a traumatic situation which is going to take years and years of therapy for me to get over.

The burger I was served was practically a briquette, so. Not great.

In fact, I am now a vegetarian. I'm not saying it's related, but I'm not saying it isn't either... ;)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Can we talk about clubs for a minute or do I need to start another thread? I'm not exactly a regular clubber, but I do like to go out dancing once in a while. I have a big housewarming/birthday party coming up in July. I'm having about 12 people over for dinner and then the plan is to head out to a couple of clubs to dance the night away. I live in Koreatown so obviously we're not staying in my neighborhood for the clubbing part of the evening. It's going to be a mixed crowd (80% straight, 20% gay) so any West Hollywood suggestions need to be fairly omnisexual. Here's what I'm looking for:

LOC: Hollywood, West Hollywood or near downtown.
DAY: Saturday night
VIBE: Clubs where people actually, you know, get down as opposed to sitting in private booths shipping champagne, a fun party atmosphere.
MUSIC: I'm not too picky for this evening. Is it enough to say good dance music?

NOT LOOKING FOR: Dive bars/quiet corners/bars without DJs/music/dancing

Thanks!!

The Avalon is usually your best bet.
http://avalonhollywood.net/?p=2937

Also the Vanguard and Cinespace. Not sure what's going on at either of those places this weekend though, if anything.

fatbastard
06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I can't - OBVIOUSLY it was a traumatic situation which is going to take years and years of therapy for me to get over.

The burger I was served was practically a briquette, so. Not great.

In fact, I am now a vegetarian. I'm not saying it's related, but I'm not saying it isn't either... ;)

Burger group therapy sounds like your best bet. Lacto or pure veg?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Every time I see this thread it makes me think of the worst bar I've been to in LA.

The Redwood Bar and Grill (which, coincidentally, is also the bar they do karaoke in in 500 Days of Summer - I recognized it when I saw the movie and thought them undeserving of the advertising). I was so excited to go there because, hello, pirate bar! So I went with one of my friends a few years ago when I was out there on a trip. We got in and no one even acknowledged our presence (it was totally dead in there as well, so no excuse). We waited, and waited, and finally we got sat where we waited some more. It took about 15 minutes for a waiter to come, another 10 minutes to even get the water that I asked for (we had been walking all damn day and I was effing thirsty, so this did not help their cause), and then probably another 20 minutes for our food. Which, when it arrived, was so burnt that I literally could not eat it. I clocked it and we spent nearly an hour in there before disgustedly walking out. I was so pissed. It was one of the worst service experiences I have ever had.

That is very strange because I have been to the Redwood many times and my experience is always great. Beyond good beer prices and a cool atmosphere, their food is also usually excellent. You must have gone on an extremely strange off-night.

fatbastard
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Tell me your opinion on that damm burger Drinkey.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I've not had the burger although it's been recommended to me. they have great chicken wings and sandwiches though.

I.F.A.
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Burger group therapy sounds like your best bet. Lacto or pure veg?

Ha, I wonder if there's a burger 12 step?

Ovo-lacto. I'm reconsidering the ovo part though - my vegetarianism is philosophically based mostly on environmental and health concerns (I'm not, like, a member of PETA, and don't oppose non-cruel meat-eating for others, but I'm ardently against CAFOs). I'm probably going to cut out any eggs that I can't get locally sourced, since even "free range" eggs from large scale producers are environmentally unsound and the chickens still aren't in great conditions. So, I guess I'm sort of moving towards eating as much locally, small-scale, produced food as possible.

I'd don't eat much dairy outside of yogurt, and love to be able to find a local dairy and make my own, but sadly there's not much available in AZ.

JorgeC
06-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Also the Vanguard and Cinespace. Not sure what's going on at either of those places this weekend though, if anything.

The new partner at the Music Box is one of the Avalon owners and i think he's trying to get a Saturday night thing going on over there too. I think Sander Kleinenberg (sic?) spun a few weeks ago.

As far as West Hollywood goes, the Abbey gets a lot of str8s on Saturday nights unfortunately the "dancefloor" is not very big. What about some of the monthly clubs like Bootie LA? You can also check out the LA Weekly, but i think most of the ads I see in there would attract an 18-21 crowd since a lot of it is 18+.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
For an 18+ club the World is okay. I'd avoid West Hollywood unless you're really looking for the gay scene. Traffic on a Saturday night is fucking horrific, parking is a nightmare, and a lot of the clubs in that area have minimal dance space. The east end of hollywood is easier to traverse and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants walking distance from the clubs in that area.

The Avalon is a terrific space with phenomenal sound and lighting. The Fonda is great for dancing as well the few times I've been for dance nights.

Too bad the Hollywood Athletic Club doesn't operate as it used to. That place was crazy, and dancing in the pool was a lot of fun.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM

The new partner at the Music Box is one of the Avalon owners and i think he's trying to get a Saturday night thing going on over there too. I think Sander Kleinenberg (sic?) spun a few weeks ago.

As far as West Hollywood goes, the Abbey gets a lot of str8s on Saturday nights unfortunately the "dancefloor" is not very big. What about some of the monthly clubs like Bootie LA? You can also check out the LA Weekly, but i think most of the ads I see in there would attract an 18-21 crowd since a lot of it is 18+.

For an 18+ club the World is okay. I'd avoid West Hollywood unless you're really looking for the gay scene. Traffic on a Saturday night is fucking horrific, parking is a nightmare, and a lot of the clubs in that area have minimal dance space. The east end of hollywood is easier to traverse and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants walking distance from the clubs in that area.

The Avalon is a terrific space with phenomenal sound and lighting. The Fonda is great for dancing as well the few times I've been for dance nights.

Thanks for the club suggestions guys. I asked around at work and Avalon is the first place everyone mentioned. It does look like it attracts a relatively douchey crowd, but it's Hollywood on a Saturday night so I'm prepared to accept that we might be surrounded by bros n hos. My party actually isn't until July 17. Vanguard's calendar doesn't go beyond July 4th. Avalon has Persian American DJ Sharam playing on July 17. I checked out some of his stuff on youtube and it's duller than dishwater so hopefully there are some more interesting DJs playing that night.

Bootie LA looks like a lot of fun. From what I've read it seems to have a very welcoming 'anything goes' vibe.

Any thoughts on Boulevard3 or Circus Disco?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
hahaha well, the Circus Disco website isn't very promising. Wow!
http://www.circusdisco.com/
Well, Jorge might be into it.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s270/freddynunez/LATINOGAYPRIDECELEBRATION2010.jpg

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Ha ha ha. Yeah on most nights it appears to be a gay club for "papi" lovers. Nothing wrong with that in my book, but as I said I'm bringing a mixed crowd so I'd prefer something a bit more omnisexual. Apparently, Circus Disco has "straight" nights on Saturdays so that's why I was asking.

fatbastard
06-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Ha, I wonder if there's a burger 12 step?

Ovo-lacto. I'm reconsidering the ovo part though - my vegetarianism is philosophically based mostly on environmental and health concerns (I'm not, like, a member of PETA, and don't oppose non-cruel meat-eating for others, but I'm ardently against CAFOs). I'm probably going to cut out any eggs that I can't get locally sourced, since even "free range" eggs from large scale producers are environmentally unsound and the chickens still aren't in great conditions. So, I guess I'm sort of moving towards eating as much locally, small-scale, produced food as possible.

I'd don't eat much dairy outside of yogurt, and love to be able to find a local dairy and make my own, but sadly there's not much available in AZ.

I finished reading Michael Pollan's eaters manifesto a couple of weeks ago. It covered eggs and organic meat. Scared me enough to have dinner at Mani's bakery for a couple of nights.

I.F.A.
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I finished reading Michael Pollan's eaters manifesto a couple of weeks ago. It covered eggs and organic meat. Scared me enough to have dinner at Mani's bakery for a couple of nights.

I adore Michael Pollan. I would also highly suggest The Botany of Desire (which is a really entertaining read- it goes into the way that we have co-evolved with domesticated plant species and he does a chapter each on the history of apples, tulips, mary j, and potatoes - there is also a PBS doc based on the book), and The Omnivore's Dilemma (the narrative, with Pollan's typical informed tangents about everything, follows him as he sets out to make an entirely local meal, for which he hunts/gathers all of the ingredients himself).

Also, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which is her chronicle of a year in which her family eats only locally produced food. It's a bit of a privileged perspective (she has a large farm in rural Virginia, a huge garden, and the time and money to sustain that lifestyle) which irked me a bit - and she has a tendency to wax a little too poetic - but I warmed up to it and did enjoy the read.

JorgeC
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
hahaha well, the Circus Disco website isn't very promising. Wow!
http://www.circusdisco.com/
Well, Jorge might be into it.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s270/freddynunez/LATINOGAYPRIDECELEBRATION2010.jpg

shut your whore mouth!

got me tho, i actually i used to go there on Friday nights. it was basically the Cheers of the gay latino 20-30 crowd (still might be, haven't been there in a while). Everyone knew you're name (and dated your last boyfriend...man, i could totally write a Logo show right now). Fridays at Circus...Saturdays at Arena...that was basically the agenda for like 2 years straight.

On Saturday, Circus used to have Giant, but I don't think they do anymore. Been a while since I heard that club name thrown around. Must have moved when Vanguard first opened a few years ago.

EastLos01
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
You could look into Cinespace in Hollywood

http://www.cinespace.info/Welcome.html

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Wow. I've really had my head buried in my work. Until one of my coworkers mentioned it, I didn't even realize LA Pride was this weekend. Kelis of "Milkshake" fame, En Vogue who, apparently, still exist and the 2nd most popular member of Destiny's Child are playing along with dozens of DJs. My first LA Pride. Should be fun!

CrimesceneCookie
06-10-2010, 11:07 PM
ahh, pride fests.
Home of lesbians with baby stroller gridlock, the world's most asinine dance music, and all of the best has-been bands no one has heard from or cared about in 20 years.

fatbastard
06-11-2010, 05:57 AM
I adore Michael Pollan. I would also highly suggest The Botany of Desire (which is a really entertaining read- it goes into the way that we have co-evolved with domesticated plant species and he does a chapter each on the history of apples, tulips, mary j, and potatoes - there is also a PBS doc based on the book), and The Omnivore's Dilemma (the narrative, with Pollan's typical informed tangents about everything, follows him as he sets out to make an entirely local meal, for which he hunts/gathers all of the ingredients himself).

Also, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which is her chronicle of a year in which her family eats only locally produced food. It's a bit of a privileged perspective (she has a large farm in rural Virginia, a huge garden, and the time and money to sustain that lifestyle) which irked me a bit - and she has a tendency to wax a little too poetic - but I warmed up to it and did enjoy the read.

Hmmm. Not as juicy as a hamburger, but this looks good. Thank you.

bleep
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
i FINALLY tried Chego (the restaurant in Palms set up by the Kogi BBQ ppl). the pork belly was delish, especially the charred bits. Chego may just become a weekly habit of mine.

JorgeC
06-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Yo Drinkey! I was looking at the menu for Dillon's and i'm drooling! Have you tried the Mac n Cheese Burger? I'm going to eat there before watching In The Heights at the Pantages in a few weeks. Going on Wednesday 6/30, hopefully some cheap mid-week drink specials. When are the $3 beers? Couldn't find the info online.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Yo Drinkey! I was looking at the menu for Dillon's and i'm drooling! Have you tried the Mac n Cheese Burger? I'm going to eat there before watching In The Heights at the Pantages in a few weeks. Going on Wednesday 6/30, hopefully some cheap mid-week drink specials. When are the $3 beers? Couldn't find the info online.

They don't have specials...the beers are ALWAYS $3 for pints and $5 for 220zers, and they have like over 20 beers on tap, good stuff. i love that place!

The Mac & Cheeseburger is also very good.

Really the only downside of that place is that it gets really crowded, and for good reason.

JorgeC
06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
sweet! $3/$5 beers make it seem like permanet happy hour, love it. I'll try to get there by 6 so that if we have to wait a while for a table we'll still have time to make the 8pm show.

bleep
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
i FINALLY tried Chego (the restaurant in Palms set up by the Kogi BBQ ppl). the pork belly was delish, especially the charred bits. Chego may just become a weekly habit of mine.
the lemon rhubarb pie at this joint is also fantastic. oh man, so good.

RageAgainstTheAoki
07-05-2010, 04:15 AM
You guys have a fun 4th? My friend and I had such a fun day. Started with a picnic at Griffith Park and my first visit ever to the observatory. It was an unusually clear day and we got such great views of the greater LA area. Then fireworks at the LA Coliseum which seemed to go on forever. We left after an 1 1/2 hrs and the fireworks were still going! Nuts. We ended the night at the rooftop poolside bar at the The Standard in downtown LA. Getting in without cover was easy, though the drinks were (of course) ridiculously expensive, but it was more about the atmosphere tonight. I was totally prepared to be in the company of a snooty, douchey 'bro' crowd, but everyone there was so relaxed and happy and friendly. Maybe it was the long holiday weekend that put everyone in such a good mood; it was such a fun crowd. Dancing the night away under all those LA skyscrapers was just the right way to end the night.

sonnyboy11
07-05-2010, 04:36 PM
You guys have a fun 4th? My friend and I had such a fun day. Started with a picnic at Griffith Park and my first visit ever to the observatory. It was an unusually clear day and we got such great views of the greater LA area. Then fireworks at the LA Coliseum which seemed to go on forever. We left after an 1 1/2 hrs and the fireworks were still going! Nuts. We ended the night at the rooftop poolside bar at the The Standard in downtown LA. Getting in without cover was easy, though the drinks were (of course) ridiculously expensive, but it was more about the atmosphere tonight. I was totally prepared to be in the company of a snooty, douchey 'bro' crowd, but everyone there was so relaxed and happy and friendly. Maybe it was the long holiday weekend that put everyone in such a good mood; it was such a fun crowd. Dancing the night away under all those LA skyscrapers was just the right way to end the night.

Been good (safe) so far! For lunch on the 4th the wife and I went to... guess where... WURSTKUCHE! I had the rabbit/veal and wife tried the Austin Blues both with sauerkraut and a side order of Belgian fries. Naturally I washed mine down with a liter of Spaten Pils. The bar area at Wurstkuche is starting to feel a little too much like home. I know the beer selection by heart.

Later we shopped around Little Tokyo and bought some fresh fish and prime steaks for home. A few glasses of Penley Estate Hyland Shiraz later we hit the roof for some fireworks along with about half the building (we can see all of downtown and surrounding areas). We'll do the same again tonight since we have a clear view of Dodger Stadium.

donkey sex
07-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Going to The Magic Castle for the first time this Saturday Night. Oh, oh. Mysterio.

whynotsmile99
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Gold Room in Echo park can't be beat.

I believe a pint of PBR + shot of tequila is 4 bucks usually, but there's a nice world cup special going on. only 2 bucks

and gold room gives you free tacos.

Free tacos, all you can eat peanuts, pint of PBR, shot of tequila for 2 bucks

can't beat that.

PlayaDelWes
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Going to The Magic Castle for the first time this Saturday Night. Oh, oh. Mysterio.

$$$$$

donkey sex
07-06-2010, 06:23 PM
$$$$$

makes me nervous. More than the magic.

RageAgainstTheAoki
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I've got a friend visiting from out of town on Saturday. We're going to do dinner at Wurstkuche (excited about FINALLY trying this place) and then we're seeing The Lieutenant of Inishmore at the Mark Taper Forum in dowtown. I was thinking of ending the night at a bar/club or two in downtown. I'm taking her to the rooftop bar at The Standard so that she can check out that beautiful view of the downtown skyscrapers, but it would be fun to hit up one more bar or club on Saturday. Downtown recommendations for a Saturday night?

fatbastard
07-08-2010, 06:06 AM
This place.

http://casadowntown.com/

Dumb 60's mexican movies on the flat screens, cheap food, and strong drinks.

The &ouche factor can be an 8, but don't let that stop you.

RageAgainstTheAoki
07-10-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks, uh, fatbastard. Casa looks really nice and reasonably priced. Looking more for bars or clubs, though. We'll figure it out.

I took a friend to Amalia's today. A really charming Guatemalan restaurant in Silverlake. I think it was Silverlake; it's near LA City College. It's located in a converted house and has a really homey, rustic inviting atmosphere. Our server was one of the nicest waitresses I've encountered in ages and made some great recommendations despite the language barrier we had.

If you get an appetizer go with the plantains. They're perfectly caramelized and served with this flavorful, buttery cream sauce and the most delicious frijoles negros volteados I've ever tasted. I don't understand how they made those beans taste so densely rich and yet light and airy at the same time. Sooo good. My friend and I split their sampler plate as the entree. Not sure what it was called, but it gives you a taste of all the most popular Guatemalan meat dishes (perfectly seasoned so that the flavor of the meat still shines through) on the menu along with rice, fresh flaky tortillas and more of those fantastic frijoles negros volteados. Wonderful experience. Two of us dined for under $30. Only down side: no liquor license.

bmack86
07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I like 7Grand in downtown. It's a cool, slightly nicer whiskey bar. They make really good whiskey cocktails and have pool tables and a cigar lounge.

RageAgainstTheAoki
07-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks, BMack! Any thoughts on... The Varnish, The Far Bar, Library Bar, La Cita, Corkbar?

PlayaDelWes
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Library Bar is great.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-10-2010, 02:53 PM
7 Grand is always a go-to place for me. La CIta is fun too. They have a big outdoor area and a big indoor dance floor. The clientele is often split down the middle between old Mexican guys and total hipsters.

PlayaDelWes
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone been to Bordello (http://www.bordellobar.com)lately? Is it still open?

edit: looks like it is.

RageAgainstTheAoki
07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
I'll have to try those bar recommendations out later. My friend had to hit the road back to SD after the play so we ended our night at Kendall's Brasserie - the restaurant/bar adjacent to the Music Center in downtown for some dessert and drinks. The croissant bread pudding with wild turkey sauce was delish.

Finally got to try Wurstkuche for the first time. Got to say, unlike a lot of places mentioned in this thread, it lived up to the hype. My friend and I split the Buffalo, Beef and Pork with Chipotle Peppers and the Mango Jalapeno. The buffalo was just an instant rush or rich, juicy buffalo flavor -- just perfect. The Mango Jalapeno was disappointing -- at first. After a couple of bites the flavor REALLY starts to kick in. It was a fantastic balance of sweet and spice. Really good stuff. The fries were great with the curry ketchup, though the ketchup is not half as flavorful as the "Desi ketchup" you can get in any Indian grocery store. Houblan Chouffe (Belgian ale) went down nicely too. We got there at 7:20 and somehow missed a crush of people who all decided to show up at 7:25. We were in and out of there in 20 mins.

Also, if you're in LA, go see The Lieutenant of Inishmore (http://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/productiondetail.aspx?id=7706&gclid=CJ3plYmG46ICFRNSgwod2lWRyQ) at the Mark Taper Forum. It's a dark, dark black comedy about Irish terrorism written by Martin McDonagh whom you may know as the screenwriter of In Bruges. Even if you're a philistine who never goes to the theatre, see this play. I haven't laughed that much at a play since I saw Nathan Lane in the Producers. It is is also the single most gruesome and bloody experience I've ever had the theatre. I had no idea legitimate theatre could be so hyper violent and bloody.

sonnyboy11
07-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks, BMack! Any thoughts on... The Varnish, The Far Bar, Library Bar, La Cita, Corkbar?

Cork Bar is excellent. I know the chef there personally (it's his birthday tomorrow I think!). And my wife's food supply company supplies most of their cheese and charcuterie. Very good stuff. Also recommend the standard burger on the menu and the pork bruschetta with slaw on top -yum.

The wine is an all CA affair but occasionally they will get flights, like a NZ Sauv Blanc for example. And the beer on tap selection, while small, is suprisingly good. I have spent many nights before Kings games here (season ticket holder) and have missed more than one 1st period having a bit too much of a good time. I'm a Cork fan!

bmack86
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I'll have to hit up Corkbar soon, that sounds cool. I wasn't a fan of Library bar the one time I went. The burger was good, but the atmosphere was very douchey and pretentious, and the bartenders were all assholes. La Cita was really fun the one time I went, very laid back and lots of people up dancing.

donkey sex
07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Enjoyed The Magic Castle in Hollywood last night. Had never seen live, professional magic shows before. It’s an artistic medium of illusion, sleight of hand movements, and mental manipulation. Noticed the magicians constantly speak to the crowd, because using their mouths is the ultimate deterrent from the audience focusing solely on figuring out the tricks.

My friend’s friend, my new friend, and a friend of a magician there got us in. It was fairly glamorous inside with a mix of old Hollywood décor (dark wood, sleek bars, brass rails) and atmosphere (women in their sexy formal wear and men dressed to the Ts). All with the air of magic hovering everywhere.

Fave magician was Jeff Martin and we were seated right in front of his table in a small, intimate room. Jeff is funny, engaging, and had my favorite tricks featuring coin, card, and levitation. He even pulled out a magic wand and did some shit with it (how cool is that?). Also saw Arthur Trace/Handsome Jack, David Yee, and pool hustler Chef Anton.

So, yeah, check her out. If you get the invite. Just make you know the password to give to the owl at the door.

JamesMills
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Finally went to Wurstkuche, and it's everything it's hyped up to be.

For those of you who make the trip, be sure to check out the graff down the block that surrounds the sushi joint "R23"; easily the best pieces I've seen in LA.

edit: here's a picture I got in front of one:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs223.snc4/38473_468061710298_504825298_6317272_3355228_n.jpg

corbo
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I'll have to hit up Corkbar soon, that sounds cool. I wasn't a fan of Library bar the one time I went. The burger was good, but the atmosphere was very douchey and pretentious, and the bartenders were all assholes. La Cita was really fun the one time I went, very laid back and lots of people up dancing.

yep, LA CITA is a cool bar. i was there this friday and it was a nice atmosphere, lots of good looking women and good music.

BAR 107 was great too and it's right around the corner. THE DOWN AND OUT is sometimes happenin too, it's around the corner from la cita, and bar 107

corbo
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
So, yeah, check her out. If you get the invite. Just make you know the password to give to the owl at the door.

WHAT IS THE PASSWORD?

donkey sex
07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
WHAT IS THE PASSWORD?

The little copper owl was five or six inches tall on a bookshelf near the entrance door. You said the magice words and the owl’s eyes lit red and the doorway would open. The passwords were either “Abbra Cadabra (I wanna reach out and grab ya)”, “Open Sesmee”, or something typical magic-y like that. The leader of our group issued the correct phrase...I forgot what they were. Or did I?

sonnyboy11
07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I'll have to hit up Corkbar soon, that sounds cool.

Cool. I just was there Sunday. I really like their waitress/barkeep that works that day. She usually wears a beret/cap and she's a real sweetheart. Food was good. Took the wife and had, of all things, a burger and the pork bruschetta! Predictable but I was thinking about this thread when I ordered. It was really good. We sat outside and it got a bit breezy, but we held it together fine- an amazing day. I had whatever strong IPA they were rocking on tap (2... maybe 3?). Very good. Like I said not known for their beer but what they have is decent.

I got 7 Grand bookmarked btw. Thanks for the recommend. I'll check it out shortly.

sison3531
07-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a San Francisco-style "Mission" burrito in L.A.? For those times I'm feeling homesick you know...

shermanoaksyo
07-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Basically you need to go to a good taqueria or truck and explain to them how to make it. Just ask for a dry burrito and then specify every single thing you want in it (lettuce cheese etc).

shermanoaksyo
07-19-2010, 07:36 AM
In my neck of the woods I like Tere's, Sermenos, El Gran Burrito

PlayaDelWes
07-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a San Francisco-style "Mission" burrito in L.A.? For those times I'm feeling homesick you know...

It's a goddam burrito, wrapped in foil. That's it. You don't need to add "San Francisco" or "Mission-style" to claim some sort of provincial pride.

imsorryforpictures
07-19-2010, 08:19 AM
frolic room!

fatbastard
07-19-2010, 08:20 AM
It's a goddam burrito, wrapped in foil. That's it. You don't need to add "San Francisco" or "Mission-style" to claim some sort of provincial pride.

Tell that to the people who are accustomed to la taqueria.

ThomThom
07-19-2010, 08:46 AM

It's much different than an actual burrito (taqueria or restaurant) from Los Angeles.

Just sayin...

PlayaDelWes
07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
So, if:
- The tortilla is steamed,
- It's made in Chipotle-style assembly line, and
- It's wrapped in foil and eaten upright
then it is a San Francisco burrito?

ThomThom
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Steamed tortilla, shit loads of rice, shit loads of beans, other shit loads of stuff inside, different types of salsa's, larger than usual, not "wet", and wrapped in foil.

Los Angeles has a much more traditional approach to the burrito, mission burrito's are very different, to a Mexican at least.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes, it's nearly impossible to find authentic Mexican food in SF. Mexican food is the one thing my friends that moved up there crave when they come to visit L.A.

juloxx
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Hotel Shangri La has a pretty decent thing going

JorgeC
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Any of these recommendations walking distance from the Wiltern? My friends are hitting up Gaslight Anthem and looking for a bite to eat beforehand.

fatbastard
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Please do not mention this place to anyone. It's accross the street from the Ralphs on Western.

Pollo A La Brasa
764 S Western Ave

sison3531
07-20-2010, 09:30 PM

Have you tried both regional burritos? By your logic, all pizzas are the same: all are flattened pieces of dough with tomato sauce and toppings on top and baked in an oven. Yeah right. One of the awesome things about food are the regional differences. Even San Diego has its own way of making a burrito.

The main differences between SF and LA, from what I can remember, is that SF burritos have larger tortillas that are grilled, and include Mexican rice, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and whatever meat you want. It's also made assembly line style, where you point at the toppings you want in front of a mirror.

And no no no, Chipotle is not the same (which I like on its own, btw. I liken it to Panda Express' version of Chinese food).

JorgeC
07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
For anyone needing a reason to go to Casita Del Campo for food or a drink, now you can combine it with a hilarious show. Chico's Angels are back for 2 weeks

Love Boat Chicas (http://chicosangels.tix.com/Schedule.asp?OrganizationNumber=1947)

I think the Tuesday/Wednesday performances are halfoff at Goldstar.

donkey sex
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
which ever is the cheapest one with the sluttiest waitresses and hardest worn criminals. Not sure where that is, but if you find it let me know.

shermanoaksyo
07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Please do not mention this place to anyone. It's accross the street from the Ralphs on Western.

Pollo A La Brasa
764 S Western Ave

wood + fire + chicken mmmmmm

JamesMills
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
If you want the best burrito in LA, go to El Taurino.

Deacon Blues
07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
if you wanna drive down to a bad part of south LA, there is a place on the corner of adams and vermont near USC that will do a mission style burrito for like 4 bucks. its pretty sweet.

forgot what its called. i wanna say tacos el unico but i could be wrong

the kibbitz room at canters is the best small live music venue/bar in LA. its seedy as hell and awesome. go on a wednesday or friday only

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Weekend brunch recommendations on the west side? Preferably Venice area.

Deacon Blues
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
dont know about venice but there is a spot on the corner of wilshire and bundy called literati

amazing sunday brunch

ThomThom
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Joe's on Abbot Kinney is my favorite brunch spot in that area.

If you can stretch it to Santa Monica I LOVE both Huckleberry and Amelia's.

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
You guys are awesome. Always ready with the suggestions. Joe's looks amazing, but probably a bit high end for the group I'm going with. Unfortunately, it looks like Amelia's, Huckleberry and Literati don't have liquor licenses. With the group I'm going with, mimosas are non-negotiable. We definitely can do Santa Monica if you have any other suggestions for places with liquor licenses.

sonnyboy11
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Right here

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

Mr. Dylanja
08-19-2010, 10:41 PM
sonny, this is the only thread I see you post in, coincidence?

sonnyboy11
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
sonny, this is the only thread I see you post in, coincidence?

Mo fo I just updated the dangit Heligoland thread!

Anyway, you know I am a skinny bastard... so I can't be eatin out that much, right? :D

sonnyboy11
08-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Btw, this thread needs to be re-named. I hardly ever go to just bars (although some of the suggestions in here seem cool). It's mostly a foodie thread now, of which I am unabashedly one. Don't care.

denies the day
08-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Just spent a weekend in Santa Monica. Liquid Kitty is dark and funky but surprisingly clean. $5 for a PBR and fat whiskey shot, called the "Low Life", I think. From what I recall, music on the Friday night we went was varied between indie rock, funk and oldies. Someone called it a dive but I thought it was too nice to be a dive. Although it did have a taco truck parked outside.

4/5

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Right here
http://www.cotrattoria.com/

Sonnyboy to the rescue! This looks perfect. Thanks v. much!

donkey sex
08-19-2010, 11:39 PM
they dont call it bar crawlin for nothing

wstsidela
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
This is my favorite Mexican restaurant on the Westside: http://www.laresrestaurant.com/

Excellent chips & salsa. Phenomenal top-shelf margaritas. They have a big table in the middle of the room that's perfect for feasting & getting hammered with your friends.

donkey sex
08-22-2010, 09:19 PM
I hate mexican restaurants who serve the pico de gallo style salsa, which is unfortunately a majority of em in the US. Whitewashed bullshit catered for stupid white people. Salsa is supposed to be a fiery blazing hot sauce, not some mild/medium shit with onion and tomato chunks and shit. Americans are such retards. Hot Sauce is supposed to burn your mouth and test your nostrils. Not a play thing to frolick around with like you are at a park play set. Mexicans dont eat that shit, they know better. Wise up.

PlayaDelWes
08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I hate mexican restaurants who serve the pico de gallo style salsa, which is unfortunately a majority of em in the US. Whitewashed bullshit catered for stupid white people. Salsa is supposed to be a fiery blazing hot sauce, not some mild/medium shit with onion and tomato chunks and shit. Americans are such retards. Hot Sauce is supposed to burn your mouth and test your nostrils. Not a play thing to frolick around with like you are at a park play set. Mexicans dont eat that shit, they know better. Wise up.

Yes.

Rosa Mexicano is where it's at.

mistdevil
08-24-2010, 12:44 AM
hmm verdugo bar, big foot lodge, short stop

bmack86
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Mario's in Westminster has some of my favorite salsa. A wicked hot tomato-y slop that just has a perfect flavor, especially with their shredded beef. Ahhh childhood.

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Did Fresh Corn Grill in Westwood with some friends. Meh. The corn was quite good.

sonnyboy11
08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Rage- did you check out C & O? Just curious what you thought about it.

bmack86
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Fresh Corn Grill does really good Salmon, but that's the only thing I've consistently enjoyed there.

I went to Corkbar again for the second time last night. I found out that if you buy a bottle to go, then you can get it for half the price they show on the menu. I picked up a killer Cab Franc for later.

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Rage- did you check out C & O? Just curious what you thought about it.

Not yet. I'm not eating out that much these days. I'm managing to cook at home 5-6 times a week.

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-05-2010, 08:54 PM
That being said, went to Kyo Chon Chicken in K'town tonight with a couple of friends. My first exposure to the Korean fried chicken trend. Wow was this stuff good. We got a couple of plates of the Original Soy Garlic, Sweet Honey and the Spicy Soy Garlic wings. The original wings have a wonderful savory flavor -- nice balance of the soy and the garlic and just a touch of sweetness. The Honey wings were sweet, but it was not cloying at all. The Spicy Soy Garlic wings were VERY spicy. I'm Indian and I like spicy food, but I could not have had a whole meal of those wings alone -- would have been too much.

We actually took our order to go and enjoyed it back at my place with some beers and an Asian cole slaw I'd made. The wings remained remarkably crispy well after they'd been prepared and the sauce adhered to the batter so beautifully that your hands barely get any sauce on them. Seriously addictive stuff.