PDA

View Full Version : The XX @ House Of Blues

mickflyy
04-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Anyone else going to the show in San Diego on June 8th?

getbetter
04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
it's still in the air for me

send me ctrpllrs
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Does anybody know if you can get tickets without all the rape fees from the HOB box office? $22 = $37+ after fees, fuck that. I'm not going if I can't get tickets there for cheaper, if I can I'll go.

pancakespancakes
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm going for sure! All ages! And especially after their Coachella set being overcrowded and in the broad daylight -- but still sounding awesome -- which just left me wanting more.

Does anybody know if you can get tickets without all the rape fees from the HOB box office? $22 = $37+ after fees, fuck that. I'm not going if I can't get tickets there for cheaper, if I can I'll go.

I know for sure that you can get tickets at the actual box office without some or all of the fees, my friend does it all the time, but I don't know exactly how much less it is. Definitely worth doing if you aren't too far away.

edit - shit, this is a pretty expensive one. I'll see how my funds are doing around then...

mickflyy
04-29-2010, 11:47 PM
it's still in the air for me

Go man I'll by you a beer. Do you know of any good beer places around there?

mickflyy
04-29-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm going for sure! All ages! And especially after their Coachella set being overcrowded and in the broad daylight -- but still sounding awesome -- which just left me wanting more.

I know for sure that you can get tickets at the actual box office without some or all of the fees, my friend does it all the time, but I don't know exactly how much less it is. Definitely worth doing if you aren't too far away.

edit - shit, this is a pretty expensive one. I'll see how my funds are doing around then...

We should all try to meet up. Also my GF's brother told me if you eat there before the show they give you a "cut in line pass".

amyzzz
05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Is there a full list of The xx tour dates? I don't recall there being any dates in Phoenix. :(

edit:
This is what I found anyway --
Sun 05/30/10 Quincy, WA Gorge Amphitheatre
Tue 06/01/10 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
Wed 06/02/10 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
Thu 06/03/10 Big Sur, CA Henry Miller Library
Sat 06/05/10 Los Angeles, CA Music Box
Sun 06/06/10 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
Tue 06/08/10 San Diego, CA House Of Blues
Appearing at "Bonnaroo Music Festival"
Thu 06/10/10 Manchester, TN Bonnaroo Music Festival

mickflyy
05-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Is there a full list of The xx tour dates? I don't recall there being any dates in Phoenix. :(

edit:
This is what I found anyway --
Sun 05/30/10 Quincy, WA Gorge Amphitheatre
Tue 06/01/10 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
Wed 06/02/10 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
Thu 06/03/10 Big Sur, CA Henry Miller Library
Sat 06/05/10 Los Angeles, CA Music Box
Sun 06/06/10 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
Tue 06/08/10 San Diego, CA House Of Blues
Appearing at "Bonnaroo Music Festival"
Thu 06/10/10 Manchester, TN Bonnaroo Music Festival

Come to the SD show, good show and a fun city.

sbessiso
05-04-2010, 02:15 AM
theyre doing two sets at glasto so hopefully i can catch them there. i really wanna see them in a small dark room with opium burning in my pipe

Bwilliamson30
05-06-2010, 01:43 AM
purchased my tickets yesterday. anyone know how phantogram is live?

amyzzz
05-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Come to the SD show, good show and a fun city.
It's on a Tuesday. :(

weezy f baby
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I saw The XX at CMJ last year and they were underwhelming. Their music doesn't translate to a live show.

amyzzz
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Hell yeah it does.

mickflyy
05-06-2010, 07:05 PM
I saw The XX at CMJ last year and they were overwhelming. Their music translates so well to a live show.

THIS

mickflyy
05-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Hell yeah it does.

AWWW Amy you make me wish I had actually attampted to meet some boardies.

Californicator
05-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I really liked XX before Coachella, but not so much after Coachella. They need to play their songs at normal speed, or faster. NOT slower.

amyzzz
05-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I didn't think the songs sounded too slow -- sounded great to me.

and

AWWW Amy you make me wish I had actually attampted to meet some boardies. Soon you will become an integral part of BORG. Resistance is futile.

Seriously, it's so much fun recognizing people on the Polo Field and having impromptu meet-ups with board friends. YOU'LL SEE.

send me ctrpllrs
05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
If anybody has an extra ticket, I may be interested in it. I'm not going to ask for the night off though since I don't have a ticket, but if I happen to be off I want to go. I don't think I'll know that for a week though.

Bwilliamson30
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dkE7KOynjU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dkE7KOynjU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ficklecycle
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah that outro is one of the most amazing things i've ever seen. When I first saw it at Coachella I almost died.

vZbCNYwJz9A

Pat24
06-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Their show at the HOB last night was alright. The sound wasn't loud enough to me for some reason. The stage lightning was nice though. It's hard to say which I preferred, this or their Coachella set, both very different experiences.

Pat24
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Stars was the best thing that whole night. Great backdrop for it. The thunder towards the end of the song literally shook the place. It was amazing.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eN4l0lsfNQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eN4l0lsfNQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Deacon Blues
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
the xx wiltern show was fantastic...the crowd was louder than the band. there were some really beautiful moments

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I am extremely anticipatory of the Palladium show in September. I earlier had fears that they might be boring live, but every I read seems to quell that thought.

mistdevil
08-24-2010, 12:46 AM
palladium should be nice.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Stoked.

darksideofkaos.
09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Can't believe the Palladium show is tomorrow... Has anyone seen set times? I checked palladium's twitter and didn't see anything listed. I know they usually post them the day before or around then.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
No set times yet! Annoying. And I'm not sure if 7:30 is merely doors of if that's when the first opener goes on.

darksideofkaos.
09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Well Palladium's facebook says the show is going to run until 11:00pm so I think that would put The XX on at 9:30. Idk I'm not planning on getting there until 8:00-8:30.

ficklecycle
09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Doors -7:30pm

Zola Jesus- 8:30-9pm

Warpaint- 9:20-10pm

The xx- 10:30-11:30pm

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-22-2010, 03:06 PM
oh nice, okay. I totally don't need to rush to do my pre-drinking then. I'll be at Blue Palms before the show btw if anyone wants to meet up. Probably between 5 and 6

getbetter
09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Blue Palms has Hanger 24 2nd Annv.(which is emily's favorite) and they have AleSmith Speedway Stout on draft if you have never had that before.

If u are ever in my area we'll go to Hanger 24 it's just another 20-25 mins east on the 210

darksideofkaos.
09-23-2010, 02:47 AM
So yeah... did not have a good time tonight at the Palladium.

1) That was the most crowed I've ever seen the Palladium and it seemed like the people that were there honestly couldn't have given a shit less about what was going on during the show.

2) The XX sounded like shit in my opinion. While their vocals are on spot and sound pretty close to the album, the lack of a second guitar really hurts their overall sound.

3) That many people and The XX's music don't go well together. It has been stated on here before but their music is truely made for an intimate venue. It all felt too big for them. I had the same complaint about the Coachella set. When you are playing music like that in a venue of that size it's hard to keep people's attention for the full time.

This will be the last time I see The XX unless they add a second guitarist back to the lineup. It's a shame because I really do love their music, but I just don't think it holds up live.

One funny thing did happy though... At one point Oliver was talking about how they were glad to be back in Los Angeles and how last night was the first time they had ever had chicken and waffles. This one guy next to me leans over and said "Are they talkin bout Roscoes?" I replied, "I'm pretty sure." He then screamed, "Goddamn that chickens good!"

getbetter
09-23-2010, 02:56 AM
mmmm chicken and waffles

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Zack, I had the Alesmith Speedway and it was fucking delicious! I also had the Firestone DBA that won silver at GABF which was great, and the hangar 24 Orange Wheat, which was a bit too tart for my taste. i should have had the anniversary instead.

Darkside, i had a totally different experience than you, I thought the band sounded amazing. Perhaps it was because I didn't have the highest expectations for their sound holding up in a room that size, but I was extremely surprised how rich and full they sounded. they are also a testament to how much good lighting can add to a performanc ,e because the incredibly dramatic lighting was really great. I also really liked all the segues and extended intros they played to bring the set up to an even hour.

I also very much enjoyed Zola Jesus (although it was strange to see a 4 piece band that consisted of 3 keyboard players and a drummer), and Warpaint was pretty good, though not great. All in all, I had a very good time last night.

Mysterons
09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
I thought The xx were great!
It was pretty crowded though, and it didn't help that there were a lot of obnoxious people cutting to the front, but that always happens. Watching The xx in a small intimate venue would be perfect though imo.

Their sound was terrific to me! As Drinkey said, the add-ons to the songs were great. Oliver was pretty awesome during "Fantasy." All the women around me were begging to bear his babies hahaha! I just think that "The Intro" and "Crystalised" were sorta underwhelming, but The Outro and Infinity though.... wow. I couldn't get enough of the lightning either. It totally suited the aesthetics of the band.

Did anyone get one of those hand printed show posters after the show? I thought they were nice so I got one heh.

Yay, 1st post :blah

getbetter
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Zack, I had the Alesmith Speedway and it was fucking delicious! I also had the Firestone DBA that won silver at GABF which was great, and the hangar 24 Orange Wheat, which was a bit too tart for my taste. i should have had the anniversary instead.

It could of been the order you had your drinks light to dark is a easy method.Glad you like Speedway I love that beer especially since it's has the same amount of alcohol as Fourloko.

I hope XX plays smaller venues next tour and has way more material.