PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Without Headliners

yardbird
04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Would you still support the Coachella Music Festival if it stopped spending millions on a headliner for each day of the festival?

How different do you think the crowd demographic and the crowding would've been if Jay-z, Muse and the Gorillaz wouldn't have played?

Instead of paying Millions on 3 acts, I would prefer GV to reinvest the money on the festival while still making the same profit.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Sorry but have you ever seen a festival without headliners?

shoegazer76
04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Pitchfork Music Festival is for you.

yardbird
04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Sorry but have you ever seen a festival without headliners?

I have not and I assume that is your point.
I typically enjoy the subheadliners more...

guedita
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Wouldn't the subheadliners then be headliners by default?

getbetter
04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

this

yardbird
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Yes but they aren't making Jay-Z money.

tigermilkboy
04-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I get the point. But it wouldn't make any difference, because somebody will take the Main Stage last and thus be headliner. Besides I don't see artist management/artists falling for that.
Would it work if you had mid-level bands like Dead Weather, Passion Pit, MGMT, De La Soul etc? To a degree, but I don't think you would sell anything like 50K tickets. I can't say any of the listed names would compel me to drive 3-4 hours and spend $300 on a weekend pass. Reason? I could see those bands for $50 in my local venue.

darksideofkaos.
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
So basically you are saying get bands that wont cost as much as headliners nornally would. While I'm sure every festival has thought of this but truth be told a lot of people are drawn to festivals to mainly because of the headliners and the other artists are just added bonuses. So if the company footing the bill for the festival doesn't pay for a headlining act, they wont see profit (or at least as much profit).

sonofhal
04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Primavera doesn't really have headliners. The biggest acts don't close out the main stage. This works really well, as all the fuckers just there to see the biggest act of the day will most likely fuck off after they finish.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Primavera doesn't really have headliners. The biggest acts don't close out the main stage. This works really well, as all the fuckers just there to see the biggest act of the day will most likely fuck off after they finish.

I could handle Coachella turning into a Primavera like festival, though if that's the case I would have never see Paul McCartney, Roger Waters or Prince if that was the case.