PDA

View Full Version : "The Worst Job You Ever Had" Thread

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 08:16 PM
I looked and couldn't find a thread that let us bitch/whine about our jobs in a safe, sneaky way. I only look for about 4 pages though, so my apologies if it's in there somewhere.

Everyone though has had a job they hated at one point or another.

SO, what's the worst job YOU have ever had?

Also a place where you can talk about your current job (love it? Hate it) or complain about being unemployed like I am (though I KNOW there is a thread for that too, sorry :)

malcolmjamalawesome
04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
You're gonna start this hack thread and not even talk about YOUR worst job?

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I just vented about the following in the FNM thread but thought perhaps it has a better place here:

in 2007 I worked at this creative company. I was hired to be the office manager even though I had NO experience in this. They told me they would give me training but they didn't. Not even a day. It was learn by the seat of your pants.

And it was hell. After three months I wanted to quit after one employee screamed at me because I got Starbucks muffins for a meeting and not the fancy ones. Sorry... Starbucks are fancy to me. It wasn't just that either, but everyday millions of inane, uncalled for acts like that.

Anyway, they had a meeting with me and said, "we know we hired you with no experience and gave you no training, and we admit, we are not accepting or welcoming with new employees and maybe we need to change that, but you need to step it up."

So I tried my best but you know, I'm just not an office manager type and NOT in that crazy-ass office full of snobs.

The DAY before my vacation to Italy, they fire me.

Say the same thing as they did three months ago, "You are good but just not HERE. You could do the same job anywhere but not good enough for HERE. We're sorry if we ruin your vacation."

FUCK YOU! TOTALLY RUINED MY VACATION!

After I got back, I wrote a seething blog post about the company. I had also written many blog posts about my job before, but never named the company or the employees for fear of being fired.

Now I didn't care since I was fired (which btw, I appealed with the government - they fired me wrongfully because I was hired with no experience, it wasn't my fault I wasn't "good enough" and I won...got EI for awhile after). So I let her rip. Again, I didn't name names but I'm pretty sure I mentioned the company name.

Life went on, yadda yadda. They never got another office manager and many of my other colleagues were also fired or let go, so I didn't feel so bad. I also talked to them and heard similar horror stories so I knew it wasn't just me.

A few months go by and I decide to erase my posts, just because. I didn't think I should still have that up there, learned my lesson about blogging about work, etc,.

Fast forward to now, 2010. An ex-colleague (and good person) from there emailed me and was like, someone needs a staff writer and I thought of you.

I sent her the resume while she said she would get more info about it.

Turns out, the guy who is hiring is the same guy who fired me and: "when i mentioned your name he said something about you writing something 'unflattering' in your blog about him. apparently, he holds a grudge."

LOL. I know they say that blogging can bite you in the ass but this is in the most fitting way because regardless of what I wrote, there is no way in HELL I would work for that man again.

I just think it's funny that he still remembers and holds a grudge. The man in question, I never even wrote anything specifically about him but I guess the truth about them firing me without cause and a day before my vacation didn't look so pretty!

So the lesson is... don't blog/tweet/facebook about your jobs if you want to use contacts in the future. Obviously everyone knows that, since many people have gotten fired from their jobs.

But hey, if you don't want to use the contacts, go right ahead! j/k

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
You're gonna start this hack thread and not even talk about YOUR worst job?

I WAS GETTING THERE!

Actually my worst job wasn't the one above. It was at an ad agency and was two weeks long. The boss had such a bad temper, he would call you a "Fucking idiot" during a conference call...even called clients "fuckheads." To their face.

Last straw was when actually threw a trashcan at my head. If I hadn't ducked in time, I would have sued.

I was the 7th person for that position that year...

canexplain
04-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I had to crawl up grease pits in McDonalds. We would scrape off the grease then put fire retardant all over the inside of the pits ...

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I had to crawl up grease pits in McDonalds. We would scrape off the grease then put fire retardant all over the inside of the pits ...

Ewww. Was there a specific position in McDonalds for that or do they just alternate workers?

chiapet
04-27-2010, 08:53 PM
When I was 15, I had a job in "housekeeping" (ie, cleaning lady) in a vacation complex, cleaning hotel rooms, condos, and dorm style places. The absolute BEST the job got was having to do laundry (bedsheets frequently in a nasty state), the worst was cleaning toilets in the dorms which were always really disgusting after weekend and having to snake out used condoms, tampons, and whatever else people tried to flush.

At the time I was really hating my parents for putting me up to this (I had 2 other jobs, not legal, but I worked under my mom's SS #, and the money was going not towards anything fun so it pissed me off that I had to work so much), but it did instill me with the desire to get "ahead" career wise and not to get stuck doing this sort of thing for my life. It was really depressing to work along side 60-70 year olds who had been doing that work for decades.

Resultantly I've done pretty well for myself. Now if I say I'm hating my job lately it's because I work way too much, but get paid well to work too much.

J~$$$$
04-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Being David copperfields assistant.

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Chiapet - ugh. At least you are able to turn the experience into something positive. My last job was boring but I didn't hate it and the pay did compensate for the downfalls, at least.

J - you know it.

DFrank
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
At 16 i worked as a dishwasher at a restaurant because they said they would promote me to waitering in 1 week. More like 5 weeks. Everyone thought i was the owner's son in trouble. Let's just say i made a lot of Mexican friends.

TheClares
04-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Temp job for a major Pharmaceutical company in NJ. No idea what I would be doing, but it was twice the pay of any other job I'd had. Find out that it was cleaning cages and feeding their test animals. I didn't have much of a position on animal testing, but my eyes were opened to the subject that day. It was one of the saddest (and smelliest) days of my life, and the last at that job, but it also made me ponder much greater issues than having to get money to buy a car. I do believe animal testing is important, but I can't stand hearing about companies that do it for non-medical research purposes, and testing done on things that have been tested hundreds of times before (i.e. the cosmetics industry).

I also learned Purina makes "Chow" for just about every possible animal you can think of. Monkey Chow, Pig Chow, Rabbit Chow, Rat Chow, Mouse Chow, etc.

caco0283
04-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Im in the family business. This is our farm

http://www.onepennysheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Erythroxylum-coca02.jpg

I help with distribution with mi abuela Griselda Blanco.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
I think I've been lucky enough to never have a really terrible job. Everything I've done has either led me to something better, or taught me what I really don't like doing. For example, I worked in restaurants during the summers when I was in high school. By my senior year, I was working a sweet job managing a bookstore connected to a cool restaurant.

Unfortuantely, what I am doing now is pretty cool, but I feel like it so laid back and specialized that it's not leading me to anything better. I guess I'll find out how that's all going to play out eventually.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2010, 07:26 AM
I think I've been lucky enough to never have a really terrible job. Everything I've done has either led me to something better, or taught me what I really don't like doing. For example, I worked in restaurants during the summers when I was in high school. By my senior year, I was working a sweet job managing a bookstore connected to a cool restaurant.

Unfortuantely, what I am doing now is pretty cool, but I feel like it so laid back and specialized that it's not leading me to anything better. I guess I'll find out how that's all going to play out eventually.

Odd that you chose to post this here.

J~$$$$
04-28-2010, 07:31 AM
A blow job from Randys mom.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Odd that you chose to post this here.

Is there a better place?

stuporfly
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I've had plenty of shitty jobs, but none ever worth complaining about after the tale of a friend who had to clean the jerk booths in a large adult bookstore. Her stories of mops, sponges and semen spillage were horrifying enough that my little gripes and grouses about my own lousy jobs seemed to pale by comparison.

marooko
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
You'd swear she had like 90 teeth.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Is there a better place?

Perhaps the "Positive Attitudes About Jobs" thread.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm not quite 100% positive on it, maybe a "Cautiously Optimistic About Jobs" thread would be more appropriate.

chiapet
04-28-2010, 08:09 AM
^^^ I feel that way until I realize I don't have the ambition to move above where I am, since it will require working anymore. I already work 60 hours a week minimum, and usually more like 70, and I'll be damned if I give every waking moment, literally, to my job. Even if it would mean being filthy rich and not having to work much in 15 years.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
the first job I had was working for a fish hatchery. There were usually about 40 breeding tanks and then about 70-100 75-150 gallon holding tanks for the fish. We bred tropical freshwater fish for distribution to local pet stores. My job was basically feeding thousands of fish and cleaning their tanks. It involved having my hands in cold water for several hours at a time. I developed really nasty sores and peeling from my hands constantly being wet/dry, wet/dry.

It also also using my mouth to start siphons through a funnels that would be used to clean the dirt and shit out f the gravel at the bottom of tanks, into buckets, and carry the buckets out into a lot and dump them. This is what i did for 3-5 hours every day for about 7 months when I was in high school.

Hannahrain
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
I was the janitor at a Legal-Aid Domestic Violence Clinic when I was a teenager. Really uplifting place for a young woman, especially in a small enough town to recognize occasional names on files left out on desks overnight.

sames44
04-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I was Chuck E. Cheese.

jimmycrackcorn
04-28-2010, 09:09 AM
telemarketer doing cold calls re: research for radio stations in early 90's...

full on idle
04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Worked at a dry cleaners when I was 15 or 16 and had to put tags on people's crusty nasty clothes all in the buttonholes and shit. My hands would smell like moldy armpit. We smoked Newport Lights in the back though and stole the peppermint patties from the donation for kids with something box.

Gribbz
04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I've had plenty of shitty jobs, but none ever worth complaining about after the tale of a friend who had to clean the jerk booths in a large adult bookstore. Her stories of mops, sponges and semen spillage were horrifying enough that my little gripes and grouses about my own lousy jobs seemed to pale by comparison.

tLXytukNlFM

chiapet
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
telemarketer doing cold calls re: research for radio stations in early 90's...

Weirdly my favorite mindless jobs I've had were doing telemarketing & switchboard operator stuff. The day went really quickly because you just keep going down the list or pick up the next call on auto-pilot.

Rosemont17
04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
hauling hay onto trucks during the summers... fucking brutal as im allergic to hay and didnt get paid.. it was a "life lesson" from my dad... yeah thanks!

JustSteve
04-28-2010, 09:55 AM
hmm, only really had a couple jobs throughout my life and nothing really bad. so sad.

funny times - i worked for guns 'n roses' manager and we had one of axl's mic stands in the office. when the place was empty in the mornings i would sometimes blast gnr on the bang & olufsen stereo they had and practice my "snake hips" and other famous axl poses. glad i never got caught!

Ardentbiscuit
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Selling cemetery plots door to door for the Holy Cross Cemetery.

CellarOwl
04-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I was Chuck E. Cheese.

Did you, or the person employed directly before you, vomit in the suit? Would small children attempt to kick you in the nuts profusely? Were you ever hit on by a MILF? Did the suit see any trim? There are so many necessary questions that need to be asked here.

Also, reading this just made me realize...

deadmau5 is basically just an aggressive House version of Chuck E. Cheese.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Wow, all of these jobs suck. I've never had to really get my hands dirty but verbal abuse and sexual harassment was bad enough for me.... it's not good when you fear going to work to the point that it makes you sick.

Well, I did say you could also just talk about jobs you liked too. It's nice to know they do exist.

I am also interested in the Chuck E Cheese job...

guedita
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I worked at Bath and Body Works for about 2 months when I was 18. It was located in the failing mall in the next town over. This mall was a barren desert; I don't think more than 30 % of the stores in it were actually open and running. During my employment, I was the 'keeper' of me and my friend's massive quantities of marijuana, so I was always, always, stoned out of my mind. It took about nine work shifts for me to realize that the store only had one CD playing on repeat--I thought I was just going through insane amounts of out of this world deja vu. Part of working there meant I was supposed to study and memorize the ingredients of the different products, which would help me sell them to customers--or rather, force them onto mothers just trying to buy their daughter's friends an appropriate sleepover gift. I was quizzed at the beginning of every shift about the products, but I never studied, so I always fell back on guessing that "jajoba oil" was one of the significant ingredients. I was constantly reprimanded for not pushing a sale (the goal was to sell three items per transaction), and it got to the point where they just sent me to the stock room in the basement to do inventory. Except, because I was so fucking high, and alone by myself with boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves of body products, I spent my time sniffing and trying out the different products, staring blankly at the shelves and forgetting my inventory assignment, or playing with the Styrofoam and bubble wrap.

J~$$$$
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
The worst jobs were the best jobs because you could fuck around to the point of doing everything in your power to get fired.

Boxing matches on Saturday nights at a car rental place near the airport was a highlight. Also jumping the cars and having drag races in the parking lot.

sames44
04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
the suit smell was probably the worst part. can't answer the remainder of your questions as I don't own nuts. it was a shitty suit - kids would pull the tail off, attempt to pull the hands/feet off, punch you in the head, etc.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
The worst jobs were the best jobs because you could fuck around to the point of doing everything in your power to get fired.

That is the silver lining.

djandrews25
04-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I worked for a friend who owned a beer/wine bar and sandwich shop. The job would have been fine but my friend, the owner was the laziest piece of shit to ever own a business in history. I would show up for work and the place would be out of bread, beer, and you know a bunch of shit that a bar/sandwich restaurant would need to serve the customers. I watched him go on vacation after vacation while not stocking the restaurant, or even paying his employees on time.

Eventually, he decided to sell the restaurant and all but 2 employees quit. He promised me that he would pay me in full once the place sold, and since he was my friend i trusted him. I worked for 6 months without pay. Times got so desperate i even had to borrow money to make rent. Finally when the time came and he recieved the money for selling the place, he handed me my check for 6 months of work. $550. About 10% of what he owed me. That was my thanks for putting up with all the bullshit for 6 months, ripping me off for about 5 grand.

If anyone in orange county ever gets a job with Dan Gauna know that he will rip off his grandmother for $10. This guy is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever, and the worst business man in history.

*edit* The one good thing about that job was that my next job was working for a company who was upstairs, and ive been with this company for over 4 years.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I worked at Bath and Body Works for about 2 months when I was 18. It was located in the failing mall in the next town over. This mall was a barren desert; I don't think more than 30 % of the stores in it were actually open and running. During my employment, I was the 'keeper' of me and my friend's massive quantities of marijuana, so I was always, always, stoned out of my mind. It took about nine work shifts for me to realize that the store only had one CD playing on repeat--I thought I was just going through insane amounts of out of this world deja vu. Part of working there meant I was supposed to study and memorize the ingredients of the different products, which would help me sell them to customers--or rather, force them onto mothers just trying to buy their daughter's friends an appropriate sleepover gift. I was quizzed at the beginning of every shift about the products, but I never studied, so I always fell back on guessing that "jajoba oil" was one of the significant ingredients. I was constantly reprimanded for not pushing a sale (the goal was to sell three items per transaction), and it got to the point where they just sent me to the stock room in the basement to do inventory. Except, because I was so fucking high, and alone by myself with boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves of body products, I spent my time sniffing and trying out the different products, staring blankly at the shelves and forgetting my inventory assignment, or playing with the Styrofoam and bubble wrap.

I am a TERRIBLE salesperson.

This explains why I'm always so terrified when I go into a Bath and Body Works.. I know what I'm looking for, leave me alone!

JustSteve
04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I worked for a friend who owned a beer/wine bar and sandwich shop. The job would have been fine but my friend, the owner was the laziest piece of shit to ever own a business in history. I would show up for work and the place would be out of bread, beer, and you know a bunch of shit that a bar/sandwich restaurant would need to serve the customers. I watched him go on vacation after vacation while not stocking the restaurant, or even paying his employees on time.

Eventually, he decided to sell the restaurant and all but 2 employees quit. He promised me that he would pay me in full once the place sold, and since he was my friend i trusted him. I worked for 6 months without pay. Times got so desperate i even had to borrow money to make rent. Finally when the time came and he recieved the money for selling the place, he handed me my check for 6 months of work. $550. About 10% of what he owed me. That was my thanks for putting up with all the bullshit for 6 months, ripping me off for about 5 grand.

If anyone in orange county ever gets a job with Dan Gauna know that he will rip off his grandmother for $10. This guy is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever, and the worst business man in history.

why didn't you sue him? take him to small claims?

djandrews25
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I looked into it, but ended up not doing anything. I guess i just wanted to forget about the whole situation. That and i planned on retaliating in other ways, which i never ended up following through with.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Because he is clearly a dumb pussy. I don't know anyone dumb enough to work for free for 6 months.

J~$$$$
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Because he is clearly a dumb pussy. I don't know anyone dumb enough to work for free for 5 months.

No shit. Every sandwich/beer I sold would have would gone directly to my pocket.

6 months!? You deserved it.

djandrews25
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, i feel pretty stupid about the whole situation, i can still file suit but i dont know if id want to go through the hassle.

J~$$$$
04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Because the judge would laugh at you?

Sue the fuck out of him.

djandrews25
04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
No shit. Every sandwich/beer I sold would have would gone directly to my pocket.

6 months!? You deserved it.

I ate free, but didnt steal cash like the other workers who ended up quitting.

michaelmontanez
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
well... it's story time.
Shortly after quitting Domino's pizza the summer of my Junior Year of High School, I found employment at Petsmart, washing dogs 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. I thought, "sweet, I've got hours and the pay is better than Domino's" Little did I know that the job would be pure bullshit, and I would need to "express dog's anal glands" which is the most vile thing you could ask somebody to do. The only upside to the job was that it was right next to Costco, and cheap pizza slices on break are always a win. But coming home every day reeking of dog, and being soaking wet is no good. Luckily I got mono from my girlfriend at the time, and was able to quit without much of a hassle, and then I got a job at this Ebay store, which was way awesome while it lasted.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
What makes it even worse is that it wasn't even a cool job. I know people who have worked for perks at record labels and promotion companies in the hopes they would eventually get a paid position, but a sandwich shop? Holy shit, that's a shitty job even when you ARE getting paid and eating for free.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Do I dare ask how you "express dog's anal glands?"

michaelmontanez
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
you kind of pretend that the dog's asshole is a pimple, and squeeze around it. it was horrid, some dogs would shoot ass juice all over the washing sink. Don't touch the hole though... that was the rule. That job was fucked up, we also had to call people and tell them that they should get their dogs washed again, and the groomers were always making the washers take care of their dogs, because they were lazy pieces of shit.

djandrews25
04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
What makes it even worse is that it wasn't even a cool job. I know people who have worked for perks at record labels and promotion companies in the hopes they would eventually get a paid position, but a sandwich shop? Holy shit, that's a shitty job even when you ARE getting paid and eating for free.

Actually it was kind of cool before the downfall. They had art shows, comedy nights, live hip hop acts, DJ nights etc... The pay was decent because of the tips for about a year until he decided he was going to run his business into the ground and rip off everyone he befriended and convinced to either invest in him or come work for him. Bartending/making food isnt that bad of a gig at all. Sorry my worst job doesnt live up to your expectations Mr. Perfect.

CellarOwl
04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
the suit smell was probably the worst part. can't answer the remainder of your questions as I don't own nuts. it was a shitty suit - kids would pull the tail off, attempt to pull the hands/feet off, punch you in the head, etc.

It sounds like a pretty rough place to work. Children are right bastards, especially involving cartoon characters manifested in physical form.

Now I'm totally interested in this.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 10:58 AM
you kind of pretend that the dog's asshole is a pimple, and squeeze around it. it was horrid, some dogs would shoot ass juice all over the washing sink. Don't touch the hole though... that was the rule. That job was fucked up, we also had to call people and tell them that they should get their dogs washed again, and the groomers were always making the washers take care of their dogs, because they were lazy pieces of shit.

LOL don't touch the hole. Lest PetSmart have a sexual harassment case on their hands!

sames44
04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
are you a plushy/furry, CellarOwl?

djandrews25
04-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Just to elaborate, swan and J. This wasnt a guy that i had just met prior to the job, i was roomates with his brother a few years before and was friends with him for about 5 years before he ripped me off. I didnt work without pay that long for a stranger, i did it for a friend who was in need and was selling off all his stuff after he ran his business into the ground. What i did was stupid, but i always go the extra mile for a good friend.

Talking about this has got some fumes going again, im going to talk to the company lawyer this week about it.

J~$$$$
04-28-2010, 11:01 AM
6 months. Even a retarded homeless person knows better. Going the extra mile = Being used.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 11:08 AM
6 months. Even a retarded homeless person knows better. Going the extra mile = Being used.

This is true. But I am sure djandrews has learned his lesson.

Although, I'd probably still be plotting revenge.

A-Ron
04-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Being a paper boy. The early mornings delivering sucked but at least taught me about rising early for work and it was fun to ride my bike around the neighborhood every day. The part the sucked was having to collect the money from people door to door. Talk about learning the true nature of people's greed and dishonesty.

ElBlueblazer
04-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I was Chuck E. Cheese.

HAHA me too!!

1st job was at a chuck e cheese when i was 16. this place was in the hood. when i say hood, you could walk outside and get mugged and or shot. sometime the violence would spill into the store. i mean we had to stop fights on the regular. every night fist few. sometimes bullets too. DID i mention this was at a fucking Chuck E Cheese? a kids themed restaurant.

besides all that bullshit, i was forced to wear the Chuck costume every night. shittiest 9 months of my adolescence.

sames44
04-28-2010, 12:06 PM
did you make "wine coolers" from the shitty wine tap and Orange slice?

ElBlueblazer
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
No wine for us. Our store had beer on tap. We would hide out in the freezers, munching down on pizza and pounding pitchers of bud. Guess there was an upside.

Theijuiel
04-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Working at the Palm Springs Airport as a baggage handler. Those bags just never stop coming. Needless to say, I quit after 1 day of that crap. The only upside is that I got to see how the bags are handled behind closed doors, wrap your breakable stuff well people. Here is an interesting fact, they use wipes for items that won't go through the scanners. That said wipe goes through a bomb material detector, but almost 1 in every 10 wipes came out positive and they had to check it again at least 2-3 times before it was cleared.

chiapet
04-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Ya, but most of us have eventually been ripped off by a friend. It took me a few tries to realize that working for, hiring, or living with friends is a poor idea. Even people you've known for years may end up fucking you over when things get rough for them.

StubbADubb
04-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Ya, but most of us have eventually been ripped off by a friend. It took me a few tries to realize that working for, hiring, or living with friends is a poor idea. Even people you've known for years may end up fucking you over when things get rough for them.

THIS^^ I learned very well at Coachella actually. Friends bailed on our hotel room, leaving us $400 in the hole. Doesn't help that their NEW hotel was a 5 star resort. Thanks bitches!

chiapet
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Funny about the latter part. The friends I have that are the least scrupulous regarding money are the ones who spend the most (or seem to have the most to spend). I have very poor friends who feel guilty letting someone buy them a dinner or asking to be spotted $20 for a week or two, while my friends who have parents' money, nice stock portfolios, and the like are the sort who'd bail on you for vacation or a hotel split.

Maybe weird that I don't de-friend those people, I just don't get involved in any financial matters with them.

weeklymix
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
When I was 12-14 I worked at a local Latin grill-style restaurant for my summer job. I did everything from paint the inside and entire outer front of the store to making empanadas. I worked mornings (I think to avoid child labor issues) before the store opened and my boss for the morning shift was the owner's wife's brother... who is mentally challenged. Not a single detail is bullshit. I was paid $4.50 an hour out of the register. My time card was kept in the owner's desk.

My mom knew the owner and said by the time I was in middle school that I needed a real job. It was illegal for someone my age to work (yes, even in Texas) so everything was really weird and under-the-table.

My mom also threw my surprise 14th birthday party at this restaurant. I happened to be working on my birthday, saw / heard my friends coming in yelling surprise at me (since I was not done with my shift) and was just shocked.

Did not work there again. When it moved locations they demolished the old site for a big office building. I was the only person in attendance of the demolition.

gaypalmsprings
04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Stocked shoes at a women's shoe store.

M Sparks
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
There was a soldier named Lori Piestewa...she was the first woman killed in the Iraq war, and her family lived about an hour away from me. They made a movie about her, and her family was on Extreme Makeover and it was generally a big story. She had gone missing for a few days...and then rumors started surfacing that some bodies had been found. I was working in TV news at the time. My boss asked me to go sit in front of her parent's house all night "in case the military shows up to tell them she's dead".

JustSteve
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Stocked shoes at a women's shoe store.

nice, Al...

JustSteve
04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
There was a soldier named Lori Piestewa...she was the first woman killed in the Iraq war, and her family lived about an hour away from me. They made a movie about her, and her family was on Extreme Makeover and it was generally a big story. She had gone missing for a few days...and then rumors started surfacing that some bodies had been found. I was working in TV news at the time. My boss asked me to go sit in front of her parent's house all night "in case the military shows up to tell them she's dead".

horrible. if it bleeds it leads, eh?

Geno_g
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
I worked for a family friend doing shipping and receiving, one of my friends needed a job so I got it for him too. We were the only white people working and the rest were paid under the table and carpooled to San Jose everyday from Oakland. I worked for this company for a while, mindless work, but found out I was getting paid way less and also not getting the bonus that the others were receiving. I had to do a delivery, since I was one of the only one with a DL, I left at 4am in the morning to deliver 7 coffee tables to a mall in Thousand Oaks, they forgot to give me a dolly or hand cart. I deliver the tables by carring them in one by one in a busy mall, then I went to look for food and some idiot hits me and says it's my fault. I end up getting a flat tire on sunset and drive on the flat till I can pull over (to find out there is not a spare), wait hour and hours for a tow truck and find out my boss doesn't want to buy a new tire. I call the family friend to get me out of there, I ended up getting home at 12am the next day, 20 hours of bullshit. I took a vacation and came back to say I quit...

TheClares
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Ah, Arizona TV news, the city where an anchor makes news by shaving off his porn star mustache for charity while his lisping pencil neck cohost anchorwoman watches.

M Sparks
04-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Ah, Arizona TV news, the city where an anchor makes news by shaving off his porn star mustache for charity while his lisping pencil neck cohost anchorwoman watches.

(laughing)...What? I'm guessing you mean Mark Curtis, but who is the woman?

Fay Fredericks HATES me, I'm told. I found a bunch of pre-nose job footage from when she worked in Flagstaff and microwaved it to the editors at Channel 12. God only knows what they did with it.

TheClares
04-29-2010, 02:11 AM
(laughing)...What? I'm guessing you mean Mark Curtis, but who is the woman?

Bingo on Curtis. Lyn Sue Cooney. Worst lisp I've ever seen in TV news (worse than Tom Brokaw) and she looks like a human bobble head.

Love the Fay Fredericks story, too funny.

CellarOwl
04-29-2010, 04:45 AM
are you a plushy/furry, CellarOwl?

Haha oh snap! I just think it's a fascinatingly terrible job, partially cos when I was a kid I was always wondered how much the person under that fur mask hated entertaining little shits like myself.

M Sparks
04-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Bingo on Curtis. Lyn Sue Cooney. Worst lisp I've ever seen in TV news (worse than Tom Brokaw) and she looks like a human bobble head.

Love the Fay Fredericks story, too funny.

Lynn's been on the air here since I was a child...I guess I'm just used to her, she doesn't bother me.

I used to work with Syleste, the chick who's on the noon (or 11am?) news. Had to drive to St Johns with her one VERY long day. Ugh.

StubbADubb
04-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Funny about the latter part. The friends I have that are the least scrupulous regarding money are the ones who spend the most (or seem to have the most to spend). I have very poor friends who feel guilty letting someone buy them a dinner or asking to be spotted $20 for a week or two, while my friends who have parents' money, nice stock portfolios, and the like are the sort who'd bail on you for vacation or a hotel split.

Maybe weird that I don't de-friend those people, I just don't get involved in any financial matters with them.

That's what it is for me now... not weird, but yeah not going anywhere or doing anything money-involved with them. One of them had her parents fly her out to Palm Springs and pay for it all (from Toronto) just cuz she was dumped and wanted to be around "friends" - well good job with that.

The other's father owns a BMW dealership. They buy (give) her a new Mini every other year, bought her a condo in San Francisco, bought her ponies when she was young. Worst of all, she's that goth, "suffering" emo type... LOL. Life's so rough for you poor emo girl.

But anyway, you make good points, all true. People who WORK for their money and have a concept of it deal with money situations better than the ones who barely lift a finger and have tons of it around.

J~$$$$
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
6. months.

1 month understanable. 6 months hilarious.

TheClares
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Lynn's been on the air here since I was a child...I guess I'm just used to her, she doesn't bother me.

I noticed she's spent most of her career here in PHX, so I know I'm trampling on an institution here. But I bet you can't watch her without listening for that lisp now.

djandrews25
04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
6. months.

1 month understanable. 6 months hilarious.

It's not like it was supposed to be 6 months. It kept dragging on. I wasnt about to bail on a supposed friend right before the deal closed.

J~$$$$
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
You sound like a battered woman, or blackswan after his uncle gets done wrestling with him every time he comes to visit.