PDA

View Full Version : How many people bought the counterfeit Empire Passes?

Elliot
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
I bought two for $1k on Friday afternoon. I was actually able to get backstage at the main stage and the sahara tent (even saw Jay-Z up close), but by Friday night, security took the wristbands away from me (they let me stay for the night, however).

Anyways, I'm posting because I've already contacted the Indio PD, and I'm trying to gauge just how many people fell victim to this scam. Don't be embarrassed to post up! It was a really good operation they had going.

Feel free to post or PM me with the name and phone number of the person who sold you the wristbands, since they all seemed to have come from one main source. All info will go straight to the Indio PD. They really want to catch these guys.

JustSteve
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
you were trying to buy something you knew you weren't entitled to. i don't feel bad for you in the least.

Elliot
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
you were trying to buy something you knew you weren't entitled to. i don't feel bad for you in the least.

Where in my posting does it look like I'm trying to elicit sympathy? I'm not. In fact, being able to go from backstage to backstage the entire day Friday was easily worth the entire $500 I spent on my wristband.

I just want to know who else bought the same wristbands I bought and from who so we can forward the info to the PD. Plain and simple.

Red.Sonja
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Why wouldnt he be entitled to go backstage if he thought he was paying for a legitimate backstage wristband?

choice cat
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
because backstage passes are not originally for sale

Radiohead
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM

If it's a real wristband, then whoever has it is entitled to sell it, so whoever pays for it is entitled to use it. That's capitalism, man.

FoxeyLady
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
because backstage passes are not originally for sale

Unless you purchase a Safari tent.

fancy restaurant
05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
If it's a real wristband, then whoever has it is entitled to sell it

This is the part where you're wrong.

That's capitalism, man.

Some shit is non-transferable.

Radiohead
05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
This is the part where you're wrong.

Unless they're non-trasnferrable, I don't see why you can't sell them. You can sell VIP wristbands, tickets, etc. Maybe they say that they can't be transferred (I don't know, I've never looked at one of these writbands). Do they? Otherwise, they're just like any other property.

JustSteve
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
no, they are given to friends and family, etc. who you assume are not going to try and profit off of the givers generosity. the person they are given to is the one who is supposed to use them, plain and simple. i am given a few backstage wristbands each year by my friend who runs the fest and i in no way would ever take advantage of the generosity i receive. no amount of money is worth the way i would feel for doing so. unfortunately not everyone has a conscience. it's a shitty thing to do no matter how someone tries to justify it.

Radiohead
05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
no, they are given to friends and family, etc. who you assume are not going to try and profit off of the givers generosity. the person they are given to is the one who is supposed to use them, plain and simple. i am given a few backstage wristbands each year by my friend who runs the fest and i in no way would ever take advantage of the generosity i receive. no amount of money is worth the way i would feel for doing so. unfortunately not everyone has a conscience. it's a shitty thing to do no matter how someone tries to justify it.

I agree. I'm not talking about what people should or shouldn't do, I'm just saying that if you own something, you can to sell it. Thus, if somebody buys one of these wristbands, they have a right to use it, whether that's right or wrong. (This is assuming that there's no "non-trasnferrable" aspect to these wristbands, which there might be).

Devin the Dude
05-04-2010, 04:24 PM

It has nothing to do with having a conscience. I used to get a few wristbands every year. "Here's some wristbands. Do what you want with them." -- and my connect at Goldenvoice is probably in a higher position to say so than yours. So self-righteous about your money-making Goliath. Silly.

donkey sex
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
fortunately "no", but I can emphathize brother. And brethen.

psycobetabuckdown
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Fwiw, I feel bad for the OP

lowfront
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
"hey I bought something I shouldn't have had"

"Security took it from me"

"It's ok, it was worth the $500 bucks to be backstage all day friday!"

"Now! I'm going to call the police and have this man arrested!!!!!!!"

psycobetabuckdown
05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Well he had fun and didn't find out it was stolen til after his fun was over at the end of the night. What the hell is wrong with this? Are people just posting in this thread to harass the OP?

lowfront
05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
The OP has no regrets about buying his wristband which he knew he shouldn't of had

now he wants the guy that gave him some of the best memories of his life arrested

Devin the Dude
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, because for a lot of other people, those memories weren't so great. You know, being denied at the gates and losing $500. God, you people shouldn't even fucking come to the festival with your attitudes. Do you think someone who probably scammed a lot more folks than this guy should just be let off scott-free?

You all are fucking BACKWARDS.

lowfront
05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Here buy this pass that is impossible to get and you know you shouldn't have!!!!

Shit OK!!!

http://www.lestorouteworks.com/images/funny/retard.jpg

Red.Sonja
05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
They're actually not that impossible to get. I suppose if you have had one, you would know it's not that special. Coachella charges 5000 bucks for two of those wristbands that get you crappy side stage viewing, and half the time you cant even get backstage at some of the stages. So who cares if some guy is selling one and another buys it. It's nothing sacred, geesh.

BROKENDOLL
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
For the first week after Coachella, you guys bitched about having too many people, people sneaking in without tickets, and GV running out of wristbands...:blah

Now, the OP comes along and shares his story in an attempt to maybe correct or help avoid having this happen to someone else next year, and guess what??? You assholes are still bitching... WTF???

JustSteve
05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
and my connect at Goldenvoice is probably in a higher position to say so than yours.

unless your connection at goldenvoice is paul t. himself then i think not. he's pretty much the only person in a higher position than my friend when it comes to coachella, ;)

oh, and my dick is bigger than yours...you know, just to go along with the spirit of our posts and all :)

syrinx32123
05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I bought one for $300. But I thought it was real, the guy said his friend worked at Golden Voice. I was told I had to enter through a "special gate" on monroe st. Gate 6B I think it was. Turns out that the guards at 6B were bribed to let the people in. It was a all a big scam. Nevertheless, I managed to get in on the first day at 6B. The second and third day at the main gates. I think I have a picture of the pass I bought on my iphone somewhere.

Were you told to go through 6B?

The ironic thing is, a few days after the event, I learned that my dad's plumbing company does work for Mr. Alexander Haagen on his estate in Palos Verdes (LA area). I probably could have gotten a real one if I would of known that earlier.

gaypalmsprings
05-05-2010, 05:05 AM
oh, and my dick is bigger than yours...you know, just to go along with the spirit of our posts and all :)

Pics or it didn't happen.

sonofhal
05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Dicks or it didn't happen.

LyricsForTheMind
05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
One of my friends and his girl bought one the first day, then got chased down and had them taken away. He went and found the guy that sold him it and he gave him another one and tried to use it again.....there were also 6 random dumbass girls at my campsite at like 6 on friday that said they all bought fake bands....teal cotton things? if thats what you're talking about.....and were complaining they didnt work then tried to mooch drugs. needless to say, served them right and then kicked them out of my site.

Elliot
05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
One of my friends and his girl bought one the first day, then got chased down and had them taken away. He went and found the guy that sold him it and he gave him another one and tried to use it again.....there were also 6 random dumbass girls at my campsite at like 6 on friday that said they all bought fake bands....teal cotton things? if thats what you're talking about.....and were complaining they didnt work then tried to mooch drugs. needless to say, served them right and then kicked them out of my site.

Yeah, light blue cotton wristbands with "eleven" printed on them.

psycobetabuckdown
05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The OP has no regrets about buying his wristband which he knew he shouldn't of had

now he wants the guy that gave him some of the best memories of his life arrested

The best memories of his life...on Friday. The fake wristband didn't get him in on Saturday and Sunday. You're chastising him because he didn't let this get him down. What...the fuck? Really, stop the bullshit.

Elliot
05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone else who bought these wristbands, please PM me. As of right now the cops are literally too lazy to do anything about it, but if we can get enough people to come forward maybe they'll "investigate" it further.

All I have are two valid phone numbers and a couple of names. If only I told the cops this guy threatened to bomb Times Square or something...maybe then they'd be interested...

psycobetabuckdown
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
All info will go straight to the Indio PD. They really want to catch these guys.

As of right now the cops are literally too lazy to do anything about it, but if we can get enough people to come forward maybe they'll "investigate" it further.

Wow, that didn't take long. Busy week in Indio?

Elliot
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, that didn't take long. Busy week in Indio?

I was thinking the same thing when the cop told me over the phone, "We can't waste our resources on a case like this without having more info."

What damn resources? You're a PD in the middle of fucking nowhere!

I gave them two valid phone numbers, two first names, and one full name. What else more would they need?

OnlyNonStranger
05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
That's the point smart guy. They don't have any resources.

beavington
05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
The best memories of his life...on Friday. The fake wristband didn't get him in on Saturday and Sunday. You're chastising him because he didn't let this get him down. What...the fuck? Really, stop the bullshit.

really are you shocked by this? Let them feel good about themselves for this come on dont take that away from them like they are trying to do the OP

randomh3ro1
05-05-2010, 11:55 AM
just steve is just an asshole

psycobetabuckdown
05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I was thinking the same thing when the cop told me over the phone, "We can't waste our resources on a case like this without having more info."

I gave them two valid phone numbers, two first names, and one full name. What else more would they need?

Those are names and numbers of victims or perpetrators?

It sounds like the cops are saying pics or it didn't happen.

TomServo
05-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't understand the responses in this thread. If his house got broken into and all his shit stolen, but he found a way to make himself at peace with the loss, should the criminal walk free? Should a rapist walk free because his victim blocks out the memory of the crime?

The OP is trying to make sure more folks don't get scammed by the same dicks that scammed him in the future. You dumbasses realize the perpetrators WILL rip off other buyers next year, right? Not everyone in the 75k+ at the Polo Grounds knows what types of passes are available, who's allowed to have them, so forth. Backstage passes are available at just about every event, if you know who to get them from. The OP thought he found someone in that position, and he didn't. He got ripped off. He learned his lesson, but he's trying to keep others from getting fucked in the future.

lowfront
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Everyone should be aware that there are scam artists everywhere

if you want to take the risk and give some asshole $1,000 for 2 wristbands then its your fault.

Ya it sucks that this guy is doing this? But fuck would I give someone $1,000 for 2 wristband? FUCK NO

risk you took man, sorry

And cops aren't going to do shit man your wasting your time and energy on this "case".

What are they going to do? Break down his door because you have a list of a few names he ripped off?

Elliot
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Those are names and numbers of victims or perpetrators?

Perpetrators, not victims.

They're all valid, working numbers, too.

lowfront
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
===PD==="Hey is this so and so"

"ya"

====PD==="we were told you sold some kid fake wrist bands"

"no i didn't"

====PD==="o, ok"

travolta
05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
just steve is just an asshole

:thu:laughyou

emtgreg
05-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I think the real issue is that there's scammers. In a perfect world scammers would get their just desserts.

However, this rarely happens, and justice only occasionally is done.

It is the case, that if you get legit backstage passes, they pretty much tell you straight up that they are not transferrable. They also mention that backstage is a fucking work area, and not to get in the way. There's already enough a and b list celebs doing bumps of coke and k everywhere to get in the way of the grips and stagehands, caterers and musicians, stage managers and sound guys, that they want to limit the liability of some fucktard wandering around and going OMG LEMME TAKE UR PICTURE FOR FACEBOOKZ, distracting the musicians and making them late for sets.

I get it, he got ripped off. But the reality is, theres tons of scammers that show up to a festival of this size, you gotta live by "buyer beware".

syrinx32123
05-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I think the real issue is that there's scammers. In a perfect world scammers would get their just desserts.

There's already enough a and b list celebs doing bumps of coke and k everywhere to get in the way of the grips and stagehands, caterers and musicians, stage managers and sound guys, that they want to limit the liability of some fucktard wandering around and going OMG LEMME TAKE UR PICTURE FOR FACEBOOKZ, distracting the musicians and making them late for sets.

What is "K"? Ketamine?

IRSCOTT
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
No they are bumping Coca-cola and K-mart, you know pitching ad's before a gig...... ha

daftmonkey64
05-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Steve, you should really clean that sand out of your vagina, man.

guedita
05-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't understand the responses in this thread. If his house got broken into and all his shit stolen, but he found a way to make himself at peace with the loss, should the criminal walk free? Should a rapist walk free because his victim blocks out the memory of the crime?

The OP is trying to make sure more folks don't get scammed by the same dicks that scammed him in the future. You dumbasses realize the perpetrators WILL rip off other buyers next year, right? Not everyone in the 75k+ at the Polo Grounds knows what types of passes are available, who's allowed to have them, so forth. Backstage passes are available at just about every event, if you know who to get them from. The OP thought he found someone in that position, and he didn't. He got ripped off. He learned his lesson, but he's trying to keep others from getting fucked in the future.

I'm willing to bet that the idiots who don't read the coachella website and figure out what type of passes are and aren't available aren't going to read this thread either.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes. I'd like to hear someone articulate what they realistically think Elliot is going to get the police to do to stop the exact same thing from happening over and over next year.

richiedigs
05-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Oh get the fuck over it, you moralfag. It's a fucking wristband to a music festival. :rolleyes Someone selling theirs isn't equivalent to baby raping.

greghead
05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Dude getting ripped off for $1,000 = hilarious

That's what you get for being stupid

tigermilkboy
05-11-2010, 01:32 PM

It is simply a very difficult case to prove! Essentially what occurred was that you bought two wristbands for a $1000 each. Proving a crime occurred will be difficult.
There is also an issue that the wristbands were stolen property in the first place and that the buyers were handling stolen property.

I just despair that people will happily depart with a $1,000 to some random guy for a wristband. I feel conflicted that I should have sympathy, but at the same time feel 'well what did you expect?'.
Tip for 2011-don't hand off a $1000 to anybody except a licensed ticket agent. It really is the easiest thing.

wewantmuse
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
just out of curiousity (and not trying to be an asshole), for anyone who has been backstage, would a $1000 ticket be worth it? are artists even willing to talk to you?

personally, i enjoy being with the crowds. i like being in the pit and feeding off of the energy.

Strange
05-15-2010, 01:36 AM
LOL