PDA

View Full Version : The truth is I was SHOCKED.

joebizz
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
The video on the Coachella homepage pretty much sums up this year. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious, but at the same time very very sad. In my 9 years of attending Coachella (yes, 9 years straight) I have never felt so uncomfortable in my own home. Coachella means so much to me, and this year really twisted my head about what it is all about anymore. I have never in my many years attending this event have I seen so many wasted, twacked out people. Honestly it breaks my heart. In years past, according to my calculations it was about 80%hardcore music fans to the 20% wastoids. This year? Easily 50/50. For christsake this was the first time I saw a fight break out! What the hell?!I think a majior mistake was the ins/outs. Tons of people went back to their tents and got smashed. Bad idea. Don't get me wrong, the music was phenomanal, but half the time I had to dodge "cuddle puddles" and was forced to get my groove on behing rows and rows of people just STANDING THERE!! Um, you do realize there is a sick DJ/band rocking the F out right now, don't you?! I was outside the Sahara (cause there is space) for most of the DJ sets, and several times a group of candy kids would come up to me and say"Duuuude...you are a sick dancerrrr.." To which I could only reply;"You are a good sitter!" Call me old all you want, but us old scholers went to parties way back to DANCE. Now it seems you all just want to get all dressed up in your candy gear and get as messed up as possible. It makes me sick. You paid $300 to sit? WTF? Go to EDC if that's what you are all about.I was reading on another post about how some idiot was let down by Orbital cause"The visuals were weak." Hey dumbass! Open your freaking ears and listen! Now, about all you frat boy douches, thanks for being complete assholes. I was rocking the hell out to Faith No More when a group of you jerk-offs shoved me out of the way to get a better view. I bet you were still in dipars when FNM came out and all you wanted to hear was "Epic" 'cause that's all you know, then full blown shove me out of your way to just stand in front of me, staring with your Ed Hardy hats backwards. Thanks for that. Oh, and I would love to give a huge thank you to the scumbag who drugged my ex-girlfriend in the campsite. It's nice to get a frantic call at 2:30 monday morning when Im about to go to sleep from her crying that she missed 5 hours of her life and I had to come save her from you assholes by riding my bike from Indian Wells resort to the campgrounds at 3 am(1 hour bike ride) only to find her wandering the campgrounds bawling her eyes out. Great way to end the weekend. You disgust me. You are the boys who give all of us good men a bad name. So, to quote LCD Soundsystem, "....the truth is I was SHOCKED."

fancy restaurant
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
forced to get my groove on behing rows and rows of people just STANDING THERE!!

SINCE YOU BEEN GONE I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT

shoegazer76
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
# of wasteoids way > # of hardcore music fans this year

shoegazer76
04-22-2010, 12:38 PM
This drunk bastard did the most epic face plant I've ever seen. He tripped over my friend walking quite fast & didn't even catch himself or break his fall in any way. He laid there motionless for 30 seconds. we were trying to find out if he was alright. He came too & the first thing he wanted to do was start a fight. You guys tripped me!!!. I said very defensively No brah yr trashed ass tripped over my buddy here & fucked yourself up. You can thank yourself for that. He thought about it & said, yeah yr right thats what happened while trying to get up to wak away. I swear this jackass broke his nose. He was like a tree falling over TIMBER!!!

wscmx13
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
lets just hope it doesn't get worse over the next couple of years.

enkidu0
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I think there should be a special section in the front of the stage/tent/whatever just for people who are dancing. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who cut in front of me to just STAND THERE. I go to Coachella to hear good music and dance my ass off with other people who enjoy the same, not to be pushed out of the way by idiots who stand around and nod their heads. DANCE PEOPLE, DANCE!!!!

StubbADubb
04-22-2010, 12:47 PM
LOL - I was that idiot that said the visuals at Orbital were weak.

I didn't say I didn't enjoy the music and I was dancing, but basing my opinion on what everyone was talking about with Orbital's lights, I guess I was expecting something else.

Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you've said here. This is my first Coachella experience and while I want to come back, I don't know if I will with a 75K cap. Too many people and frankly, I was NOT expecting to see so many douchey frat boys.

theGold
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Drugs aren't the problem. Music and drugs have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time. If that's how someone wants to enjoy their experience, I have no problem with it. Being a music fan and being a "druggie" aren't mutually exclusive. That said, I DO take issue with who was on those drugs, mainly the tweens who obviously were only there for that. Dance music is exploding in popularity and as long as GV invests in it, we'll probably continue to see the kids who are only there to get effed up. That's just what's "cool" now. I think GV needs a policy that states under 18 not admitted without parent. Yea, it sucks for the teens, but you can't even get into an R rated movie without an adult, but they can go to Coachella and drop acid. Make the parents be there and I bet we'd see a lot less children who just wanna get high, who couldn't give 2 damns about who is playing.

Edit: Maybe under 18 is a little too high... 16 and under with parent.

slurpee
04-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, the music was phenomanal, but half the time I had to dodge "cuddle puddles" and was forced to get my groove on behing rows and rows of people just STANDING THERE!! Um, you do realize there is a sick DJ/band rocking the F out right now, don't you?! I was outside the Sahara (cause there is space) for most of the DJ sets, and several times a group of candy kids would come up to me and say"Duuuude...you are a sick dancerrrr.." To which I could only reply;"You are a good sitter!" Call me old all you want, but us old scholers went to parties way back to DANCE. Now it seems you all just want to get all dressed up in your candy gear and get as messed up as possible. It makes me sick. You paid $300 to sit? WTF? Go to EDC if that's what you are all about.

I feel your pain. The Sahara is getting harder and harder to enjoy every year. Since when did cramming together and jumping turn into dancing?

These newbie raver kids are making me feel old because I am forced to move back/outside to actually dance.

I remember going to rave parties and being blown away by people's dance skills, not visual/light shows. We would spend the entire night teaching each another dance moves and never had this massive crowding issue. Not to mention wearing candy bracelets and dancing with glow sticks was never actually cool.

None the less....these dumb kids provide a good laugh. Plus I would never complain about a half naked girl :)

Changoloco
04-22-2010, 02:08 PM
It makes me sad that Coachella has come to this. I didn't get to go this year but, the reactions of long-time Coachella Vets says something about the general vibe this last year. With that being said, I already booked a condo for next year. This was my first time missing it since 03 and that will not happen again! I can't wait to see you there Joe!

elChurro
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
It's really about moderation ...and paragraph returns.

CrimesceneCookie
04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Ravers and drunk people have been at Coachella since 99.
But let's blame someone for it.

juloxx
04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I think allowing people to get as fucked up as they want, whenever they want was one of the better things about this Coachella. Seriously, Sunday night (at the campgrounds) would not have been nearly as bat-shit insane if they made getting fucked up harder.

Also, paragraphs.... use them

meowlouder
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
i REALLY REALLY want to read this, but all i see is a blob of words

meyouseek
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
This is everyone's fault but mine

If you found a way to not have fun at Coachella, there's something wrong with you. Crowds, drunks, kids, trash... whatever. Keep your eyes on the stage, your ears on the speakers and your feet dancing.

lickety_spit
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
after reading the title of this thread, i was hoping it was started by the fat mexican girl at lcd soundsystem who was rumored to be only butthole-fingered. "The truth is I was SHOCKED."

DFrank
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
This is the only complaint i have this year. Less music fans and more random people showing up for the wrong reasons and being too fucked up.

I couldnt enjoy part of Gorillaz because i had some Aussie douchers screaming "superfast jellyfish" for half the time.

humanoid
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
it's not the fault of people on drugs, they have always been at Coachella in high numbers, most causing no problems for anyone

I just think the inevitability of Coachella becoming a mainstream event has finally occurred, bringing about a tangible change in the overall vibe of the festival. It used to be filled with ardent lovers of music, now it's full of a bunch of random people of all sorts, simply because Coachella is now a trendy thing to say you went to.

lickety_spit
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
This is the only complaint i have this year. Less music fans and more random people showing up for the wrong reasons and being too fucked up.

i'm not saying this was your thought, but weren't there a shit ton of people who were sure the institution of only 3-day passes would draw in only the "diehards," or whatever you guys were calling us?

why did the opposite happen?

Brad Groux
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Unless you never leave your home you cross the path of morons every day... the trick is to ignore them. Obviously you let the morons win.

DFrank
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
i'm not saying this was your thought, but weren't there a shit ton of people who were sure the institution of only 3-day passes would draw in only the "diehards," or whatever you guys were calling us?

why did the opposite happen?

That definitely wasnt me. If anything it worked the opposite. If they kept single day tix we probably would have gotten Sunday to ourselves since there were less big mainstream acts.

lickety_spit
04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
That definitely wasnt me. If anything it worked the opposite. If they kept single day tix we probably would have gotten Sunday to ourselves since there were less big mainstream acts.

hopefully they'll reinstate single days next year. if they keep capacity at 75,000 per day, it might turn out to be beneficial for people that want to go only 1 or 2 days AND people that want to go all 3.

ELECtROjan
04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
TIESTO
GUETTA
KASKADE

The puddles were only a problem on Saturday...

Rosemont17
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Unless you never leave your home you cross the path of morons every day... the trick is to ignore them. Obviously you let the morons win.

crazy thing is ive never seen so many mornons at coachella before... it was nuts!

minogueCOMMAk
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
TIESTO
GUETTA
KASKADE

The puddles were only a problem on Saturday...

It wasn't a problem for me. Less fucks at the stages I wanted to be at.

ELECtROjan
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh, and I would love to give a huge thank you to the scumbag who drugged my ex-girlfriend in the campsite. It's nice to get a frantic call at 2:30 monday morning when Im about to go to sleep from her crying that she missed 5 hours of her life and I had to come save her from you assholes by riding my bike from Indian Wells resort to the campgrounds at 3 am(1 hour bike ride) only to find her wandering the campgrounds bawling her eyes out. Great way to end the weekend. You disgust me. You are the boys who give all of us good men a bad name. So, to quote LCD Soundsystem, "....the truth is I was SHOCKED."

1. how the fuck did your cell phone work?
2. Drugged?

I'll let James Murphy give his word....
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUKc-BSRQv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUKc-BSRQv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Your perception of "Frat Boys" is way off the mark...

ELECtROjan
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
It wasn't a problem for me. Less fucks at the stages I wanted to be at.

2MANYMOTHERFUCKINGDJs

Brad Groux
04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
crazy thing is ive never seen so many mornons at coachella before... it was nuts!

They were easily drowned out by the amazing music being performed.

Changoloco
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
1. how the fuck did your cell phone work?
2. Drugged?

I'll let James Murphy give his word....
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUKc-BSRQv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUKc-BSRQv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Your perception of "Frat Boys" is way off the mark...

I personally know Joe and the friend that got drugged. After conversing with said friend today, I can add credibility to this story. I believe that his perception of "Frat Boys' is indeed, quite on the mark.

OnAJourney
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I just think the inevitability of Coachella becoming a mainstream event has finally occurred, bringing about a tangible change in the overall vibe of the festival. It used to be filled with ardent lovers of music, now it's full of a bunch of random people of all sorts, simply because Coachella is now a trendy thing to say you went to.

:( i agree.

minogueCOMMAk
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
2MANYMOTHERFUCKINGDJs
We are on the same page.

droop
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
All I know is that I went. I danced. I got fucked up.

truth

PlayaDelWes
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4544583862_b00e78cbe5.jpg

ELECtROjan
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I personally know Joe and the friend that got drugged. After conversing with said friend today, I can add credibility to this story. I believe that his perception of "Frat Boys' is indeed, quite on the mark.

Id love for you to explain a) how you let your friends get drugged and b) what you think the typical "Frat Boy" is?

Changoloco
04-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Id love for you to explain a) how you let your friends get drugged and b) what you think the typical Coachella frat boy is like

a)I wasn't at Coachella and Joe was not with the friend at the time.

b)I don't have a picture of the "typical" Coachella frat boy. I have had more than ample experience with the "typical" frat boy from anywhere. I think that the typical frat boy are usually idiots. Now, mind you, there are exceptions to any stereotype, in fact, some of my friends are former frat boys. It sounds like you are being protective of something. I apologize if we have offended something that is close to your heart. Not all frat boys are d-bags but, quite a few that I have come across in my lifetime are.

minogueCOMMAk
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM
truth
I hope you saw me.

Id love for you to explain a) how you let your friends get drugged and b) what you think the typical "Frat Boy" is?

I went to Coachella by myself surrounded by people I met on the internet and your friend managed to get drugged? I'd love an explanation as well.

Now, the only bros I saw started a mosh during bassnectar and kept screaming and trying to grind on me during major lazer.

Changoloco
04-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I hope you saw me.

I went to Coachella by myself surrounded by people I met on the internet and your friend managed to get drugged? I'd love an explanation as well.

Now, the only bros I saw started a mosh during bassnectar and kept screaming and trying to grind on me during major lazer.

So by your standards, I guess when a woman gets raped it's because of the clothes she was wearing? Someone slipped something in here drink, that's how she managed to get drugged. You have never heard of this happening before? Is it so surprising that with 75k+ people that something like this could occur? Get a grip.

ELECtROjan
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
You would think with 75,000 people there she would have acted somewhat responsibly...

Changoloco
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM
You would think with 75,000 people there she would have acted somewhat responsibly...

Yeah like she might've not put her drink down on a cooler for a minute. Because I'm sure that every time YOU drink, you hold your drink the entire time you are drinking it. I know that everytime I am at festivals, I never put my drink down. Just listen to yourself for a minute.

Hicks
04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Shocked by copious amounts of drugs and drunk people at a huge music festival?

Ummm. . . ok then.

ELECtROjan
04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah like she might've not put her drink down on a cooler for a minute. Because I'm sure that every time YOU drink, you hold your drink the entire time you are drinking it. I know that everytime I am at festivals, I never put my drink down. Just listen to yourself for a minute.

Yes. Every time I drink with 20,000 strangers, 80% of which are fucked up on drugs, I make sure i am in complete control of everything that goes into my body. Id trade a few less drinks or having to throw some away for not getting date rapped any day.

Or I drink with friends?

Rosemont17
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
i think most of us who are complaining are just surprsied that coachella had so many who showed up not for the music but for the party... thats not what coachella has normally been about.. this year it felt like a big city party.. if i knew thats what i was getting then i would of been more into that vibe. i expect that at outside lands and im sure the lollapalooza crowd expects it.. i never thought coachella would be that.... and that is disappointing...

lickety_spit
04-22-2010, 04:07 PM

while getting drugged is horrible and awful (and i mean not to put any blame on your friend whatsoever), just because someone doesn't hang on to their drink the whole time they have it doesn't mean they can't keep their eye on it.
everybody, everybody:
if you have lost sight of your drink for any amount of time, you should just replace it.
edit: unless, of course, you're looking to be drugged.

minogueCOMMAk
04-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Listen, sucks for your friend. It really does. As a woman I sympathize. However, its something you learn when you start partying. It's just a golden rule as a woman.

Don't put your fucking drink down. If you do get a new one.

missleslie
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I've been going to Coachella since 2006 and here's my take. GV sold 10,000 more tix than last year, and apparently all 10,000 were bought by douchey frat boys who don't care about the music. All they seem to care about it is partying with as many of their huge friends as possible... in front of me. It's just one big spring break party for them. they need to just go to the dolab and have their frat boy fun there. Personally, I would pay $300 per ticket for 2011 if GV would guarantee to cap the tix at 65,000.

That being said, there were so many amazing performances this year that we just tried to ignore the frat boys and people puking their guts out and make the best of it. I don't know how anyone has time to go back to their tent or car, I barely had time to get to the food court to eat!

I also think 16 should be the minimum age for Coachella. I saw kids younger than that getting completely trampled by the aforementioned frat boy contingent.

ryanliamg
04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
sorry i can't dance. i'm more of a head-nodder.
but i don't cut in front of people who've waited patiently. that's just inconsiderate.

tayrho
04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
this was coachella number six for me and i also feel like there were far more fucked up people running around than past years. i don't know if this is really a good or bad thing (most of them i saw were totally harmless zombies just stumbling around) but it was obvious after friday night that more people means more issues, drugs and potentially more problems. that should've been clear going in, right? we knew how many tickets had been sold.

i think that it was still very easy to ignore that side of things and have a really great time. sure, there were A LOT of people but what should we expect? this is a huge summer festival and it's pretty easy to find people on your wavelength at coachella, no matter what. you have to take the good with the bad and, from my point of view, there was a fuck ton of good that was just speckled with spaced out kids falling on their face from time to time.

it's always really unfortunate and sad to hear about people being hurt at our festival but i don't think we can blame the festival organizers for that. i'm not trying to justify people getting drugged or hurt but one of the greatest things about coachella is the freedom you have when you're there. with that freedom comes the responsibility to take care of each other and that's where things go wrong, and that's on us.

coachella isn't changing but the crowds are. indie rock (etc.) is more a part of the mainstream now than ever before and that means more kids, drugs, people, and problems.

with all that said, this year was amazing as usual. use your head, manage your time and things will be perfect.

anonimouse
04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
as much as i liked the new ins and outs rule, i think that was part of the problem. some people drink on their way in, leave, get more drunk, come back, rinse repeat

i seriously wonder if they didnt do as much alcohol sales this year proportionally to the crowds. if the numbers dropped significantly then we know exactly why. i never saw anyone on any hardcore drugs or weed causing any problems. its always the drunks

but damn those wristbands were nice! not one day did i have to wait more than a minute to get into the actual venue. waiting for the wristband on the other hand...

slurpee
04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
mo hipsters, mo problems.

eskamo951
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
The crowd was shitty this year, but mostly, the problems were THE CROWD! GV can't really control who they sell tickets to. No, they shouldn't have sold 75k, but they did. Hopefully next year they won't sell as many and we can all buy our tickets early and the douchebags won't have tickets.

Also, the majority of the crowd appeared to be first timers. I overheard or talked to people saying that it was their first Coachella. Of those people, the teens were the worst. I actually heard some kids talking about trying to buy LSD for the first time. Coachella has a stigma of being the "drug festival" and these kids are learning this and showing up just to find drugs. I agree that there should be an age limit, but really, with 16 and under kids, what's to stop the parents from just sitting in the beer garden all day as the kids run around? It's a problem, but there isn't really much that can be done.

Changoloco
04-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Listen, sucks for your friend. It really does. As a woman I sympathize. However, its something you learn when you start partying. It's just a golden rule as a woman.

Don't put your fucking drink down. If you do get a new one.

I can neither attest nor deny that she did or did not put her drink down, that is just what she told me. It's just fucked up that people will do this period. I do understand that she should be more responsible with her drinks, it still does not make it right. I appreciate the sentiment.

johnnypolite
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Surprised that Coachella has the Man v. Flip Flop video on their homepage. Funny? Yes. But why not put up a Fever Ray or Jay-Z video instead. You know, an actual performance from the festival???

Team_Canada
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
This post is regarding the new Afterhours Campsite on Jackson with posts made by Bullet80 with 5 minute shuttles running all night.

Guys This spot is sooo freakin legit its not even funny. A must for every Coachella party goer that wants to stay close to the grounds with easy access transportation, not get all his booze confiscated at the entrance, party hard without worrying of gettting in legal troubles, and meet other people from all over with similar interests.

These guys were like family within the first hour of meeting them. Albert and Victor had thought of everything, We got greeted with a Big smile , a very respectable price for the weekend, plenty of space, safe & clean environment with laid back security, a DJ Booth with LOUUUUUD ass speakers (that i ROCKED all night everynight!! haha sorry guys) , Lazers, a HUGE fog machine haha (*that we rocked in the RV with the lazers at one point! haha Thx again Albert you da man) , Food and drinks for 1$ or more all day and night, and an awesome view of the mountains in the morning with shuttles ready to take you anywhere for only a small tip!

Whatever request you had over the weekend, these guys were there to ensure you have a good time. Albert and Victor, you guys have something real good , Im 100% sure after this year you guys will become a well known spot to crash in for the weekend. Once i get the pics of the afterhours ground off the good camera, ill post a few here to confirm its legitimacy.

In due time, Add Marco Perron , Montreal network on Facebook if you came to Party it up With Team Canada

momof5
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Too many people who were not into music! I have been to every Coachella and this year Saturday (if not for the music) was almost enough to make me stay away next year. hopefully GV will care about what the people think!

FoxeyLady
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Drugs aren't the problem. Music and drugs have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time. If that's how someone wants to enjoy their experience, I have no problem with it. Being a music fan and being a "druggie" aren't mutually exclusive. That said, I DO take issue with who was on those drugs, mainly the tweens who obviously were only there for that. Dance music is exploding in popularity and as long as GV invests in it, we'll probably continue to see the kids who are only there to get effed up. That's just what's "cool" now. I think GV needs a policy that states under 18 not admitted without parent. Yea, it sucks for the teens, but you can't even get into an R rated movie without an adult, but they can go to Coachella and drop acid. Make the parents be there and I bet we'd see a lot less children who just wanna get high, who couldn't give 2 damns about who is playing.

Edit: Maybe under 18 is a little too high... 16 and under with parent.

I agree with this.

StegoDee
04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I agree with the OP. The homepage video is pretty funny, but when I actually thought about it...after three days of incredible music and art, is that really what you want people to think one of the country's best festivals is really all about? This wasn't my first big music festival, but it was my first Coachella, and in spite of its flaws, I'm happy to say I'd LOVE to return next year (given a good line-up). Here's just hoping GV remains committed to the music and their promise of expanded services. It'd be a damn shame if Coachella became just another mainstream fling before I got a chance to experience it all over again :(

P.S. - I'd have no problems with them reducing their number of tickets sold back down to 65K, but I'm going to have to go against the majority and approve of In and Outs. You're going to have the drunktards at any big event...GV just made it cheaper for them this year...I think their main problem, considering it was their first year of Ins and Outs was just a complete shortage of accomodations. Not enough vendors, portapotties, etc.

Fourthisto
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
It's really about moderation ...and paragraph returns.As gross as you tasted this year, that's pretty funny AND spot on. :)

indietron
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I think allowing people to get as fucked up as they want, whenever they want was one of the better things about this Coachella. Seriously, Sunday night (at the campgrounds) would not have been nearly as bat-shit insane if they made getting fucked up harder.

The more you post, the more I am convinced that you contributed to this year's problems of douchebaggery

beavington
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
sounds like the general consensus is that the actual festival has turned into the Coachella message board mentality.

I seriously think most of you are the problem. So many of you having problems with others instead of just being.

sonnyboy11
04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
sounds like the general consensus is that the actual festival has turned into the Coachella message board mentality.

I seriously think most of you are the problem. So many of you having problems with others instead of just being.

Whoa... you just blew my mind!

DJdharma
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I would pay $300 per ticket for 2011 if GV would guarantee to cap the tix at 65,000.

How about $350 and cap it at 50,000. Higher prices keep out the riff-raff. Elitest? Yes!

but i don't cut in front of people who've waited patiently. that's just inconsiderate.

There are only so many people you can fit in one space. It's a law of physics.

minogueCOMMAk
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't understand why anyone would think the problem with the festival is ANYONE from this board. I mean all of the board regulars I met were down to earth and every single one was pleasant in person. I don't think anyone has let stupid petty internet bickering affect how the festival goes for them. The people that post in her often LOVE Coachella and wouldn't do anything to ruin their favorite weekend of the year. I hate saying this because this Coachella was my first, but I think it was because a lot of people went to this Coachella for the first time.

michaelmontanez
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
As gross as you tasted this year, that's pretty funny AND spot on. :)

yeah, what the fuck was up with the churros this year?

TheWatcher
04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
sorry i can't dance. i'm more of a head-nodder.

Actually, I am more of a head-nodder as well, and a lot of people will push in front of me to dance... There are a lot of young, drunken females who spend the entire weekend pushing in front of people to dance and take picture of themselves, then run off to repeat at another stage.

Then there is always the random young girl who starts jumping up and down while pressed against me...

DJdharma
04-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually, I am more of a head-nodder as well, and a lot of people will push in front of me to dance... There are a lot of young, drunken females who spend the entire weekend pushing in front of people to dance and take picture of themselves, then run off to repeat at another stage.

Then there is always the random young girl who starts jumping up and down while pressed against me...

Yes! They push, stomp, and claw their way over you to get a little farther forward, smashing your toes and elbowing your boob, only to watch the show for 10 minutes and repeat the scenario on exit. It's so stupid!

eskamo951
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes! They push, stomp, and claw their way over you to get a little farther forward, smashing your toes and elbowing your boob, only to watch the show for 10 minutes and repeat the scenario on exit. It's so stupid!

This was really bad at Fever Ray.

Lynn163
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Don't forget flinging their hair in your face as well! This was my experience during The Specials!

mickflyy
04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Do the elbow dance it works for me. (the elbow dance is where you dance around like you noramally do, only you throw your elbows around and when you hit one of these morons you turn and smile like it was an accident)

iGz89
04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
The only time I don't mind people getting in front of me is if they are huge fans of the performer on stage and know how to give a proper audience energy.

The people just standing there including the ones that have been in the front for a while piss me off. Especially during Devo's set where barely anyone at the front of the stage was jumping around to "Girl U Want" or "Mongoloid"... shame.

joebizz
04-25-2010, 04:33 PM
All good feedback. I aplogize if I pigonholed all frat boys as A-holes. It's just the venacular I've used for years in Santa Barbara.(we have quite the conglomerate via U.C.S.B.) Please don't get me wrong;I loved every single set I saw, the energy was amazing 9 times out of 10. I danced my ass off for 3 days straight,and every person I was blessed to interact with were generally wonderful fun loving people. Believe me, I knew what I was geting into the second I stepped foot on the polo fields and know that there will be the usual suspects to watch out for. What bummed me out was that it was the first time for several friends of mine and I have been hypeing up the peaceful vibe to them for years, and then certin things happened to certin people that were deplorable. My friend in question is a veteran burner and festival attendee and would not do anythig stupid. It can happen in the blink of an eye. All that being said, I will of course keep coming to Coachella. It's my home. I just hope people continue to respect what a GIFT it is to have this event. All is love my friends. Keep dancing!

syrinx32123
04-25-2010, 04:51 PM
As a UCSB student myself-- no I'm not in a frat-- I must say that I enjoy electronic music. However, I agree that the 'rave' stuff should stay at EDC and TAO. Please no furry boots, glow sticks and candy bracelets. Also, I think alcohol contributes to more problems than LSD or xtc.

joebizz
04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
I 100% agree that booze was the problem. I have never had a problem with anyone on rolls or L. Hell, I enjoyed my treats! I just do not understand people who take it too far. That being said, Welcome to S.B! How's my beloved Ellwood treating you? I'm part of a d.j. collective in S.B. We throw underground events. I'll send you a request shortly on FB. It will keep you updated on our schedule if you would like to attend an Underground Souls gathering.

cuauhtemoc723
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
It's really about moderation ...and paragraph returns.

yes! paragraph returns rule! that's a funny comeback.

anyway, some guy after the gorillaz set was over started shouting, "riot! let's all riot!" it's sad.

i agree that it's not the drugs, but the individual who takes them and how they process them.

JamesMills
05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
This is everyone's fault but mine

If you found a way to not have fun at Coachella, there's something wrong with you. Crowds, drunks, kids, trash... whatever. Keep your eyes on the stage, your ears on the speakers and your feet dancing.

This is basically my ultimate say on the matter.

I agreed with everything OP said, but it doesn't change the music. The fucking music, my friends. 40+ artists that I listen to profusely at the same venue for three days? It's the best.

Media Blitz
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't understand why your right to be a drugged-out dancing neo-hippie is any better than someone's right to have fun how they want to. All this elitism from electronic music fans is fucking hilarious.

BROKENDOLL
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't understand why your right to be a drugged-out dancing neo-hippie is any better than someone's right to have fun how they want to. All this elitism from electronic music fans is fucking hilarious.
And so is the obnoxiousness of the frat boys, the ignorance of the kandy kids, and the self-centeredness of the indie fans... While Coachella was able to bring them all together, many forgot to pack thier social skills for a large diverse crowd.

Makes me wonder how many manage to survive in the general population out in the real world if they can't handle the general population at Coachella.

Duvel
05-06-2010, 02:43 PM
And so is the obnoxiousness of the frat boys, the ignorance of the kandy kids, and the self-centeredness of the indie fans... While Coachella was able to bring them all together, many forgot to pack thier social skills for a large diverse crowd.

Makes me wonder how many manage to survive in the general population out in the real world if they can't handle the general population at Coachella.

....this, unfortunately,.....is.....reality these days.