PDA

View Full Version : Most Underwhelming Show????

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
The Glitch Mob straight up BORED the Sahara tent. Other than that, most every set I saw, I was enthused, moving and having a great time with thousands of other people.

What sets did you see out there that, for lack of a better word, underwhelmed you.

brfilora
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
MGMT

jimhb
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
The XX

juloxx
04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Pretty Lights.... not that they were bad so to say, they were just the most forgettable.

JamesMills
04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
She and Him, and it isn't close.

socalguy100
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Charlotte Gainsbourg was pretty underwhelming.

FoxeyLady
04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Charlotte Gainsbourg.

wewantmuse
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Soft Pack. For such high energy music, the lead singer was the most boring, careless shit show I saw.

andersunnO)))
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
The Glitch Mob straight up BORED the Sahara tent.

i was literally able to sit down on the ground and fall asleep during this set. no joke.

tigermilkboy
04-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Some pretty stiff competition...but I was severely underwhelmed by Gorillaz, MGMT and Charlotte Gainsbourg. The loser would be MGMT.

DeadSkin
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
The Glitch Mob straight up BORED the Sahara tent. Other than that, most every set I saw, I was enthused, moving and having a great time with thousands of other people.

What sets did you see out there that, for lack of a better word, underwhelmed you.

I would have to agree... Glitch Mob was my sleeper for the day I laid out in the back of the Sahara

StubbADubb
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Orbital.

Granted I only saw the first half hour, and I was at the very back of the tent, AND I was sober, but I was expecting more from their light show (from all the hype on the board). I went to see Little Boots after and I thought her lights were actually better.

yardbird
04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Girls.
I cant get that horrible sound out of my head.

Risingson
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM

That's good to know. I wanted to see the first 20 minutes of her show then head over to Jonsi.. After waiting for 15 I couldn't wait any longer. Glad I left.

I was very underwhelmed by Echo..

malcolmjamalawesome
Gorillaz.

Sladokusac
La Roux, Gorillaz.

Hicks
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
The XX, bo-ring.

quicksand
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Gorillaz

travolta
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Orbital.

Granted I only saw the first half hour, and I was at the very back of the tent, AND I was sober, but I was expecting more from their light show (from all the hype on the board). I went to see Little Boots after and I thought her lights were actually better.

Orbital's visuals are indeed lacking.

DFrank
04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Gorillaz because i was expecting too much. MGMT was also a bore, but they sounded good. Just no stage presence.

Foucault
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Orbital.

You, not Orbital, lose for:
1. only seeing 1/2 of the set;
2. for being in the back of the tent;
3. for being sober.

NachoCat
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Pretty Lights.... not that they were bad so to say, they were just the most forgettable.

this is a joke.

DrRickDomino
04-22-2010, 12:38 PM
The XX was great, but were boring. Probably would've been better in one of the tents at night.

grenade
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Half the people in the festival walked out on Gorillaz

cansei de ser sexme
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Charlotte gainsbourg

WhyTheLongFace
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
M G M T

CrimesceneCookie
04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Phoenix. Sandwiched between Jonsi and Orbital, they really had little to offer.

enkidu0
04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
The XX, bo-ring.
I though the XX were good :( but then again, I was on another planet while they were playing

paulb
04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Gorillaz and the 10min I watched of Orbital in the beginning of their set

chronnyunitas
04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Pretty Lights FORGETTABLE? Good god, I can't believe how retarded people's musical sensibilities are. Orbital and Plastikman were playing shit from 15 years ago and Pretty Lights is one of the most forward thinking, talented electronic musicians today. No disrespect to Hawtin or the Orbital guys because they paved the way, but anyone who found Pretty Lights underwhelming should get in their time machine and stay in 1990 and leave the good music to the rest of us.

HandBanana
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Gorillaz

HAMMERHEAD
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
im surprised to see orbital mentioned in this thread since every single human being ive spoken to that watched their entire set said something to the effect of "i pooped all up in my pants" or "my brain fucking melted"

StubbADubb
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
3. for being sober.

Maybe. But they weren't winning me over enough to stay.

Also, I don't really like that kind of music, I just wanted to see what the fuss was about. Not ragging on them, but I again, was underwhelmed.

StubbADubb
04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Gorillaz and the 10min I watched of Orbital in the beginning of their set

Same (though not Gorillaz for me, but I was near the front so maybe that helped).

I think I was confusing Orbital with Plastikman, expecting some kind of equal light show.

Orbital's sound was great, sounded like the bass was coming from underground, but from what everyone was saying about the light show - I don't know. Maybe it busted out during the last half of the set.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
the light show for Orbital was underwhelming. The actual performance by Orbital was overwhelming though.

And anyway, we made our OWN damn lightshow halfway through the set! There was being flung from every corner of that tent for the second half of that set hahaha, it was AAMZING

StubbADubb
04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
the light show for Orbital was underwhelming. The actual performance by Orbital was overwhelming though.

And anyway, we made our OWN damn lightshow halfway through the set! There was being flung from every corner of that tent for the second half of that set hahaha, it was AAMZING

Exactly! I enjoyed the sound and was dancing...I stayed regardless of the lights (then had to book it over to Little Boots to meet a friend).

Ride a Tire!
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Wow, could not disagree more. Only caught the first half to make way for the Specials, but boy was that a hard act to leave. Enjoyed the hell out of the first 7 or so songs, and Zooey was adorable.

C DUB YA
04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Girls, MGMT and/or Charlotte Gainsbourg

C DUB YA
04-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Half the people in the festival walked out on Gorillaz

this is not true

redthreat
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
glitch mob

a friend of mine who's wayyy into the dub scene said it was "a failure of our scene"

motionnn77
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Baroness: I like them recorded, but vocals so bad and for a hard rock band, a weird lack of energy.

She & Him: Just not my genre. Was off to the side in the shade, so I got some rest while my man was in the crowd crushing on Zoe.

Trisarahtop
04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
MGMT, their enthusiasm just was not there, i had been looking forward to seeing them but left a few songs into their set instead of waisting my time

Aenima
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't judge based on lights etc. especially since half the friggin acts were in the day time. I found Tall as Lions boring as fuck.

rasooli
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
b.o.b.

The people who are saying Orbital are fucking idiots. Orbital wasn't underwhelming whatsoever, it was fucking magnificent.

PlayaDelWes
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Camera Obscura was about as exciting as the walk from the parking lot.

bmack86
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Gorillaz were underwhelming.

Aenima
04-22-2010, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=motionnn77;1718226]Baroness: I like them recorded, but vocals so bad and for a hard rock band, a weird lack of energy."

I think this had more to do with their set time. The crowd wasn't that into them, but I thought they were tight. The lead singer with crazy eyes was all over the place, playing on his knees. I liked them.

ReaganSMASH

Definitely. I should have gone from Matt & Kim straight to Jonsi, but instead I stopped to see her. She pretty much stood around with her hands in her pockets the entire time, no enthusiasm whatsoever. Oh well, can't dwell on the past.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
I am surprised by people who like Baroness on record but not live...i find their live shows to be utterly compelling. I love his vocals too.

EDIT: and to say that the vocals are "bad for a hard rock band"...you must not listen to much stoner rock or metal. his vocal style is fairly standard and on par with a lot of other vocalists.

ReaganSMASH
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow, could not disagree more. Only caught the first half to make way for the Specials, but boy was that a hard act to leave. Enjoyed the hell out of the first 7 or so songs, and Zooey was adorable.

Yeah, I did the same. If it wasn't for the Specials I would have definitely stayed to watch the whole thing. She had a lot of energy and was fun to watch. M. Ward's set bored me last year so I thought the same thing would happen for She & Him, but Zooey definitely brought the show to life.

mstrkrft69
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
LaRoux blew mainly because they put her in the wrong tent. it was so packed you couldnt see jack and the sound stunk. bummer.

i left MGMT for Major Lazer, one of the best choices i made the whole show. MGMTs new album is uninspiring to say the least. i heard all those songs when i was 6, do i need to hear them again. i saw them at TI in SF, and they killed.

what they really, and i mean REALLY need to do is follow in the footsteps of the sahara tent and put three quarter back speakers in the smaller tents. yes they have the ones that play out into the field, but they need the ones that project back INTO the smaller tents. that is what makes Sahara best, period.

and that is what helped deadmau5, orbital, pretty lights, 2manyDJs, and Z-trip kill. fuckin Ztrip is all i gotta say . . . .

travolta
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I think I was confusing Orbital with Plastikman, expecting some kind of equal light show.

yep.

gooftroop
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Miike Snow was a big disappointment due to terrible sound, other than that I pretty much enjoyed every show I saw. I was underwhelmed by the Gorillaz "spectacle" but still had a blast at the show.

And who ever said Orbital was going to have an insane light show? Their music was plenty amazing, one of my favorite shows of the weekend.

LyricsForTheMind
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Hah. I thought Phoenix had one of the best sets of the entire festival.

Missed Orbital but I heard it was good. I think that MGMT was underwhelming, and it was even more intensified because of how much I was looking forward to their set.

chairmenmeow47
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
orbital. holy hell i couldn't even find it entertaining while tripping balls. it was waaaaaaaaay too fucking light & cheesy for me.

infected mushroom was also disappointing. i remember being so impressed with their videos in 2004. maybe i've just hyped them up too much over the years cause i always miss their set, but it wasn't much to write home about. i also expected more from the lighitng & stage than just two mushrooms on stage, but maybe it didn't look as good because it wasn't completely dark.

deadmau5 needs to go back to being a silly dressed raver and stay away from the decks. so fucking BOR-ING and he waited to bring out the cool head until after we'd left. i really don't get what the appeal of this guy's sets is. i understand the mouse head is cool in a fuck you to disney kinda way, but what about the music? this guy brings nothing to the table musically.

i won't go into the ravonettes now knowing the issues they experienced.

juloxx
04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
infected mushroom was also disappointing. i remember being so impressed with their videos in 2004. maybe i've just hyped them up too much over the years cause i always miss their set, but it wasn't much to write home about. i also expected more from the lighitng & stage than just two mushrooms on stage, but maybe it didn't look as good because it wasn't completely dark.

i won't go into the ravonettes now knowing the issues they experienced.

I totally feel u on being disappointed by IM. They had such shitty visuals (at least compared to their last Coachella set), and the fool on the guitar was rocking out nearly as hard as he did last Coachella. I still had a blast though. And they had a cracking mosh pit going for a fair amount of their set.

chairmenmeow47
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
i was pretty far back so i didn't see any of that. i still got down, but i didn't have much desire to stay there long which was a shame. they seem like something i should have seen in a small, dark warehouse years ago, oh well, at least i can stop trying to see them now lol.

shermanoaksyo
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
the xx was great. MGMT takes it for me. i thought gorillaz was good - i liked watching Damon's mad conductor act and didn't mind the lack of new cartoons - but maybe I just couldn't find a way to be disappointed after having seen Casablancas->Spoon->Phoenix->Pavement->Yorke

abYde
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Underwhelming= MGMT, Thom Yorke, Muse, Club 75, Plastikman

Overwhelming= Deadmau5

someone
04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
I was pretty disappointed with the Avett Brothers. They were one of the ones I was most excited about going into it, and then their entire set was just one sound problem after another, banjo strings breaking, piano not playing, feedback, mics cutting in and out, and the goddamn humming noise throughout the set. Made me sad.

quicksand
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Underwhelming= Thom Yorke

lol'd

shytide
04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
3. for being sober.

I also thought Orbital's set was kinda boring. I stayed for the whole thing AND i was in the front. It was just too chill :\ Didn't get me pumped up. The people throwing the many sticks of glowsticks were cool though

alisonnn
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
camera obscura.. yaaawwwwwnnnnn

cubrocker
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
shocked that nobody has said this yet-.....

Dirty Projectors were a HUGE letdown. I was really bummed out about how bad they were. Was expecting really tight vocals and it was just so muddy. The real appeal of what makes that band fun to listen to was ruined.

on the other hand i was really close up for La Roux and thought it was a phenomenal show.

SP The Ghost
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I really enjoyed Camera Obscura. Different strokes I guess. Their music isn't terribly exciting imo but I like it...

abYde
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
lol'd

The first few songs were great and then it all started to sound the same. Way too fucking whiny and depressing for me. I love Radiohead but Thom Yorke by himself= zzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzz

cubrocker
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
The first few songs were great and then it all started to sound the same. Way too fucking whiny and depressing for me. I love Radiohead but Thom Yorke by himself= zzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzz

that was my highlight for the weekend- so amazing! the chemistry between thom and flea was magical- best set of the weekend hands down. youre crazy.

boarderwoozel3
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Florence and The Machine was heartbreaking. The sound sucked all kinds of ass :(

boarderwoozel3
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I also thought Orbital's set was kinda boring. I stayed for the whole thing AND i was in the front. It was just too chill :\ Didn't get me pumped up. The people throwing the many sticks of glowsticks were cool though

Yeah we were. And, incidentally, very fucked up.

Aurgasm
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah we were. And, incidentally, very fucked up.

lol

this thread is a riot. i was not underwhelmed by any band except Gorillaz... and that is all my fault for hyping it too much.

i laugh when people bitch about MGMT, The XX, Dirty Projectors, etc. sucking... this is common fucking knowledge, people. They've been touring for ages. Dirty Projectors is nice in a tiny venue, however.

SP The Ghost
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Florence and The Machine was heartbreaking. The sound sucked all kinds of ass :(

I'll second this.

THIS.
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
The xx. Not much more to say.

Yaanon
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
The first couple of songs from Devo's set were pretty underwhelming to me. That, plus overall exhaustion, sent me back to campgrounds. Did they get awesomer as the night progressed?

sonnyboy11
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I was very underwhelmed by Echo..

You have no idea what you're talking about. And, as a huge Massive Attack fan, I demand you change your login name.

The xx. Not much more to say.

Yes there is. Charlotte Gainsbourg and Gorillaz were both more underwhelming. So yea, there was more to say.

boarderwoozel3
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I totally feel u on being disappointed by IM. They had such shitty visuals (at least compared to their last Coachella set), and the fool on the guitar was rocking out nearly as hard as he did last Coachella. I still had a blast though. And they had a cracking mosh pit going for a fair amount of their set.

i was pretty far back so i didn't see any of that. i still got down, but i didn't have much desire to stay there long which was a shame. they seem like something i should have seen in a small, dark warehouse years ago, oh well, at least i can stop trying to see them now lol.

During the Orbital meetup outside the tent I noticed the visuals were pretty lacking. But they closed with "Cities of the Furture" and "Vicious Delicious." Pretty solid by me, especially the former.

abYde
04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
that was my highlight for the weekend- so amazing! the chemistry between thom and flea was magical- best set of the weekend hands down. youre crazy.

Maybe if I was closer to the stage I could have gotten into it more.

I couldn't see shit where I was and the sound bleed from the Do Lab was pretty bad.

I also made the mistake of drinking too much while hanging out with "Lucy".

I'm willing to bet it was my perception of the show that made it underwhelming and not the show itself.

cubrocker
04-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Maybe if I was closer to the stage I could have gotten into it more.

I couldn't see shit where I was and the sound bleed from the Do Lab was pretty bad.

I also made the mistake of drinking too much while hanging out with "Lucy".

I'm willing to bet it was my perception of the show that made it underwhelming and not the show itself.

yeah thatll do it :) i left pavement, one of my favorite bands of all time, to set up early for thom yorke. glad i did. i was in the middle about halfway between the stage and the sound booth. man was it beautiful.

ga6h16UZnYY

abYde
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
yeah thatll do it :) i left pavement, one of my favorite bands of all time, to set up early for thom yorke. glad i did. i was in the middle about halfway between the stage and the sound booth. man was it beautiful.

ga6h16UZnYY

I just ate my words and they tasted like shit.

Weatherman
04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Dirty South

Gribbz
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Aeroplane.

cubrocker
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I just ate my words and they tasted like shit.

hehe thats what im here for

oh you should get on youtube and watch the whole set. omgz! so good....

http://bostonfuneralhome.net/images/bear%20hug.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM

ga6h16UZnYY

christ I forgot how amazing that was. thank god we decided to camp out at the sound booth.

betao
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't get why people thought Orbital was underwhelming because of their visuals. No one said they would have some epic production or anything. It's not hardcore face melting fast paced pogo until you drop music - it's actually really chill and smooth dance music. I can see why people find it boring, but you have to know what it is before you set your expectations.

and IM is fun, but only for a short period of time. After that, it's the same old buildups that drop into the same beats over and over again.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Gorillaz and xx. xx just seemed like there were scared to be there. Gorillaz for reasons that have been mentioned over and over again.

tbgmdhc
04-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I actually liked MGMT. The Hot Chip-MGMT combo was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. My friends didn't, though. Whatever :(

The most underwhelming for me was either The xx or De La Soul. Two incredibly boring shows!

cubrocker
04-23-2010, 12:39 AM
christ I forgot how amazing that was. thank god we decided to camp out at the sound booth.

for serials- everyone who got up close and personal (sound booth and further closer) experienced a REAL treat that night!! my festival highlight for sure.

rage patton
04-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I only saw about 1/3 of The xx and I was at the back by the second set of speakers... and I actually really enjoyed what I heard. They were much better than I anticipated. Im glad I get to see them at Sasquatch next month too. I don't get what all the complaints are about.

brycerosen
04-23-2010, 12:49 AM
NO ONE, im trying to think of one but everyone i saw was awesome, maybe the first half of aeroplane but the kicked it up like no other later into the set

tbgmdhc
04-23-2010, 12:50 AM
I only saw about 1/3 of The xx and I was at the back by the second set of speakers... and I actually really enjoyed what I heard. They were much better than I anticipated. Im glad I get to see them at Sasquatch next month too. I don't get what all the complaints are about.

I thought The xx performed very well, but the show itself was so boring! They have no presence whatsoever.

thatfinkleygirl
04-23-2010, 12:51 AM
MGMT

CrimesceneCookie
04-23-2010, 01:28 AM
The first couple of songs from Devo's set were pretty underwhelming to me. That, plus overall exhaustion, sent me back to campgrounds. Did they get awesomer as the night progressed?

oh man.. this is just sad.
whatever you do, don't look at their setlist unless you want to go into a bout of depression.

jamesc2929
04-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Pavement was as boring as I remember them being
Vampire Weekend proved they were a one note pony
MGMT's show was all fluff
and
GORILLAZ was the letdown of the weekend.

randomh3ro1
04-23-2010, 10:22 AM
TIESTO sucks dick. oh and any1 that got those bubbles exploded on them. just know this.... those bubbles are actually tiesto BUTT cumm. after he gets banged in the ass he pumps it all out and he shoots it all over the crowd. so have fun with that.

ps. i walked thre the crowd when mgmt was on. and are u serious. why would so many people listen to that garbage.

betao
04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
If any of you fools were expecting much from MGMT, then you were setting yourself up for disappointment to begin with.

randomh3ro1
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
no way.. i hate mgmt. im just saying all the idiots that watched that show. omg morons. thank god i went and saw Les claypool. he destroyed me. literally i walked out of his set and had to sit down for like ten mins to make sure i was still alive and in the real world.

Trisarahtop
04-24-2010, 09:07 AM
thank god i went and saw Les claypool. he destroyed me. literally i walked out of his set and had to sit down for like ten mins to make sure i was still alive and in the real world.

i agree completly! he blew my mind. most talented musician. took me like 15 minutes to recover.

missleslie
04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
easily Echo & the Bunnymen, Ian totally dialed it in

I wasn't expecting much of a show but I at least expected his voice to sound good... not so much

we left in the middle of the third song

LeK5Y
04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
My friend fell asleep during the Glitch Mob....so it would have to be them.

3imaginaryboys
04-25-2010, 06:15 PM
The xx

edbangme
04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
gorillaz
what a mehfest

JamesMills
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Pavement was as boring as I remember them being.

I keep hearing people make comments like these and it boggles me. I find it very hard to believe that any serious Pavement fan would make a comment like this, as they had a fantastic setlist, engaged with the fans, and even played off the nostalgia of being together again.

For the people who disliked the show, did you just go to see them because it's kind of a "big deal," or are you actually legitimate Pavement fans?

If you're apart of the former, I think it's very unfair of you to go around claiming their set was "boring," when their music is probably too obscure and dense to really be absorbed upon only a listen or two.

unit300021
04-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Iglu and Hartley. I just found them to be pretty annoying live, which is funny considering I like them on record. Ended up leaving after a few songs.

JamesMills
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM

ga6h16UZnYY

This is so fucking depressing... Pavement is one my favorite bands ever so I wasn't going to miss a second of their reunion (especially since I've already seen Radiohead live at the Hollywood Bowl), but by the time I got to Yorke it was a massive sea of people that wouldn't even let me get past the beergarden.

SOOOO... I decided to leave after only a few songs because I was so sad about being far away from probably my favorite musician ever in Thom Yorke (it was ridiculous, could barely even see the screen), figuring I'll get good seats for the Gorillaz instead. Well, I got good seats to the Gorillaz after waiting there for an hour, but unfortunately their show was pretty disappointing and forgettable.

Meanwhile, this would have been one of my favorite moments of all of Coachella had I been there for Airbag live... it's one of my favorite songs ever and had no idea he'd ever played it acoustically before. Just so depressing that I missed this, it will haunt me forever.

Mammoth85
04-26-2010, 12:56 AM
The XX was great, but were boring. Probably would've been better in one of the tents at night.

Agreed.

greghead
04-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Gorillaz.

jamesc2929
04-26-2010, 02:20 AM
I keep hearing people make comments like these and it boggles me. I find it very hard to believe that any serious Pavement fan would make a comment like this, as they had a fantastic setlist, engaged with the fans, and even played off the nostalgia of being together again.

For the people who disliked the show, did you just go to see them because it's kind of a "big deal," or are you actually legitimate Pavement fans?

If you're apart of the former, I think it's very unfair of you to go around claiming their set was "boring," when their music is probably too obscure and dense to really be absorbed upon only a listen or two.

You know, I would have liked it a lot more if they were in a tent or at a club or theater. The big stage seemed to swollow them.

ReaganSMASH
04-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Yeah, where I was standing nobody was really into it so that kinda brought my energy down. I still had a lot of fun at their set, but I feel like it could have been better if I was standing somewhere else in the crowd.

chairmenmeow47
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't get why people thought Orbital was underwhelming because of their visuals. No one said they would have some epic production or anything. It's not hardcore face melting fast paced pogo until you drop music - it's actually really chill and smooth dance music. I can see why people find it boring, but you have to know what it is before you set your expectations.

and IM is fun, but only for a short period of time. After that, it's the same old buildups that drop into the same beats over and over again.

it was also underwhelming because they played some of the lightest, cheesiest stuff imaginable. only on ecstacy fifteen years ago in some dark warehouse would that have been a decent set.

and i agree about IM.

higgybaby23
04-26-2010, 12:56 PM
For everyone saying Charlotte Gainsbourg, what were you expecting(besides Beck)?

Both her albums are waaay chilled out, hence a mellow set. The band was tight, her vocals were on and she was nervous but gracious towards the audience. It should also be noted that it was her fourth or fifth live show EVER.

So detractors, explain yourself.

MaXiMuS501
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Underwhelming= MGMT, Thom Yorke, Muse, Club 75, Plastikman

Overwhelming= Deadmau5

You = EPIC FAIL!

DeanSpang
04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
the xx - not their fault the mix was out or something and they needed to be in a tent to fit their vibe

Julian - slow set or something wasn't really on, lackluster

gorillaz - they just played some old videos that were out of sink while bobby womack forgot all his words and what was with the last song? bad way to close out a great weekend

faxman75
04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Gorillaz was the only set that completely bored me and I left about 7 songs in. Honestly, I was excited when they appeared on the poster and then I had to lower my expectations quite a bit when the album got old and boring in just a dozen or so listens. Then I got to the polo fields and saw their set open with Snoop on a video screen. It was a really flat set for a band with brand new material playing a giant festival which is disapointing because Muse and Jay-Z both lived up to their top billing.

Electric Feel
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
My friend fell asleep during the Glitch Mob....so it would have to be them.

hahahah I've fallen asleep at Glitch Mob before too, at ********* 2009. Definitely did not watch them at Coachella this year.

PrettyRagdoll
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
The xx - But I do agree it wasn't their fault. They sounded great live, but coming right after the Gossip was just, not wise. It'd be better to see them locally

gotavan
04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Hot Chip didn't translate to the big stage well. Vampire Weekend lived down to their reputation. xx didn't work so well on the big stage either.

Decibel
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
1. Gorillaz - A stage show with all the hype might have helped.
2. Coheed & Cambria - I had to walk away halfway thru their set.... apparently I missed a very exciting high school marching band.
3. Tiesto - Worst recycled music ever. How that is the same dude involved with "In Search of Sunrise" is beyond me...

FirstTimer
04-27-2010, 01:37 AM
I wish I didnt have to admit this, but Iglu and Hartly was the WORSE show Ive ever been to. Jesus I wanted to commit murder and, considering my love all motto for the weekend, I had to leave before shit got bloody.

FirstTimer
04-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Hot Chip didn't translate to the big stage well. Vampire Weekend lived down to their reputation. xx didn't work so well on the big stage either.

This is interesting. I thought Hot Chip was the best show of the weekend. and the XX were neat at sunset. The drugs may have helped with this but Little Dragon was my second favorite and I was stone cold sober for that one.

shermanoaksyo
05-22-2010, 08:29 PM
the XX was magical if you were up close.

BayAreaIsBetter
05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Yann Tiersen

Jqe7GD83aZ8

thewoodenman
05-22-2010, 09:24 PM
For some reason I found myself wandering into the Sahara during Dirty South and quickly got the fuck outta there. I wanted to shove q-tips through my eardrums, wtf was that?!?!

dtizzle
05-22-2010, 09:47 PM
it was also underwhelming because they played some of the lightest, cheesiest stuff imaginable. only on ecstacy fifteen years ago in some dark warehouse would that have been a decent set.

and i agree about IM.

hay

Boourns
05-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Orbital was better than I expected. Left after "Satan" because I wanted to end it on a high note and try and beat the few people who weren't already at the outdoor for Thom Yorke.

Most underwhelming show? La Roux. At the end of Grizzly Bear I squeezed into the tent and what I heard was unimpressive. Well, I didn't expect much to begin with and was only there to get a good spot for Little Dragon. Also The XX and Beach House. Not that either was bad, they sounded good. Don't get me wrong, it's fine for a band to be of the low energy/stage presence variety if the music is significantly more powerful live, and for both of them, it was just the same as listening at home.

I can't comment on Camera Obscura because I passed out and didn't wake up until after their set. The few minutes I heard of Edward Sharpe were underwhelming.

greghead
05-23-2010, 07:52 AM
I think it's so cute how you just recycle Randy's completely retarded opinions and think that anyone gives two shits what you (or him) think.

Problem here, though, is that she's right.

sleepybrew
05-23-2010, 11:10 AM
dj lance rock. surely i must be missing something. but even considering that, leaving halfway through for a beer, food and sun with some friends was a good decision

spiggums
05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Most underwhelming show? I'd say two right in a row:

one - went to check out Wolfgang Gartner for a hot minute on Friday. Found him playing a pretty generic electro house set which brought nothing to the table. So then strolled over for...

two - Thought we'd check the hype on Passion Pit. Got there about five minutes before they started. Turned around a few minutes later and noticed the huge sea of people that filled in behind us. Passion Pit took the stage and played the most awful music I heard all weekend. I've not quite understood the impact seeing the 10 minutes or so of their set has had on me. Normally I'm a very live and let live kind of person. People like shit that I'm not into, and hey if it works for them, that's all that matters. But for some reason anytime I see someone talking excitedly about Passion Pit I just get upset. It's like I'm 21 again or something all "how can so many people like something as bad as this shit".

hendrixfan143
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
yes they were the worst band i have ever heard at coachella

boarderwoozel3
05-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Die Antwoord was pretty brutal.

Gribbz
05-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Die Antwoord was pretty brutal.

Hard to be underwhelmed when they were already pretty awful.

Boourns
05-23-2010, 01:47 PM
My question is why was anyone at Passion Pit, Die Antwoord, or Iglu & Hartly in the first place.

RODGERRAMJET
05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Sly Stone. The biggest train wreck in the HISTORY of the Coachella Arts & Music Festival. Period.

liquidsnake28
05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
People on this board hate on Die Antwoord way too much. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with where they were placed in the schedule. Nobody ever claimed that it was great music and some of it gets a little too goofy but it's not bad and it's fresh.

zimmy1222
05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
erm...

how is it fresh again?

"when i was a boy, i wanted to be a ninja... now I am a man, and I am a ninja"

oooh, that...
FRESH TO FUCKIN DEF!

Gribbz
05-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I get it. They're a joke band... an unfunny joke band.

boarderwoozel3
05-23-2010, 02:51 PM
ZERO FUCKING LULZ

spiggums
05-23-2010, 02:51 PM
My question is why was anyone at Passion Pit, Die Antwoord, or Iglu & Hartly in the first place.

I can try and take a stab at this:

Passion Pit - either a: they were like me and really knew nothing about them other than that they've become pretty popular in a short amount of time, so caught part of their set out of morbid curiosity or b: have absolutely no taste.

Die Antwoord - they figured they could tough it out in exchange for good positioning for 2ManyDjs

Iglu & Hartly - well that one I can't help you with, but then there wasn't really anyone playing at that time that was screaming out to me anyhow. (personally I was at Steve Porter, who I found to be fairly decent. Although I didn't care for the stuff he was doing with Perry Farrel)

liquidsnake28
05-23-2010, 04:28 PM
erm...

how is it fresh again?

"when i was a boy, i wanted to be a ninja... now I am a man, and I am a ninja"

oooh, that...
FRESH TO FUCKIN DEF!

You're a fucking idiot.

amplexus
05-23-2010, 04:56 PM
how has no one mentioned yeasayer? definitely underwhelming.

BKsaysAction!
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Sly Stone. The biggest train wreck in the HISTORY of the Coachella Arts & Music Festival. Period.

Train wreck? yes. Underwhelming? Far from it, that shit was bananas!

Daytime Toker
05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Gorillaz may as well have just played a CD, especially after being blown away by Plastikman.

Vampire Weekend was slightly less horrible than last year, which makes them just a tiny bit better than snorting poop through a straw.

sonnyboy11
05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
how has no one mentioned yeasayer? definitely underwhelming.

Sorry. I'm running behind in posts for some of the sub-forums. Yes, this performance was utter shiat. I kept waiting for it to get good. It did not.

unit300021
05-23-2010, 11:42 PM

I was at Iglu and Hartley simply because I was at whoever was on before them (forgetting right now) and nothing really on that I wanted to see. Plus I have a friend who likes them so I was like all right I'll check them out. I actually wouldn't call them underwhelming because they had a lot of energy and craziness to them. The just flat out sucked and were annoying.

rasooli
05-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Most underwhelming show? I'd say two right in a row:

one - went to check out Wolfgang Gartner for a hot minute on Friday. Found him playing a pretty generic electro house set which brought nothing to the table. So then strolled over for...

two - Thought we'd check the hype on Passion Pit. Got there about five minutes before they started. Turned around a few minutes later and noticed the huge sea of people that filled in behind us. Passion Pit took the stage and played the most awful music I heard all weekend. I've not quite understood the impact seeing the 10 minutes or so of their set has had on me. Normally I'm a very live and let live kind of person. People like shit that I'm not into, and hey if it works for them, that's all that matters. But for some reason anytime I see someone talking excitedly about Passion Pit I just get upset. It's like I'm 21 again or something all "how can so many people like something as bad as this shit".

Are you fucking serious??? Wolfgang Gartner was one of the best shows of the entire weekend. I agree with you complete on the awfulness of Passion Pit, but Wolfgang Gartner was fucking amazing. I saw around 6 to 7 shows at the Sahara, and the crowd was going the wildest for Wolfgang, he tore it up.

I would say the most underwhelming were:

Infected Mushroom
Die Antwoord
b.o.b

TomAz
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Vampire Weekend was slightly less horrible than last year, which makes them just a tiny bit better than snorting poop through a straw.

ahahahahahahahaha

djandrews25
05-24-2010, 09:51 AM
People on this board hate on Die Antwoord way too much. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with where they were placed in the schedule. Nobody ever claimed that it was great music and some of it gets a little too goofy but it's not bad and it's fresh.

Tim, always coming through with the lulz at him.

fiopadp7791
05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Camera Obscura was about as exciting as the walk from the parking lot.

agreed... I made it through about... 3 songs maybe?

GuyInTucson
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Most underwhelming were Gorillaz and MGMT.

Most annoying was when Perry Farrell came in and fucked up Steve porter's set by playing the most migraine-inducing music of the weekend.

Starraven
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
MGMT, they need to own their music not hide behind it. So low energy.

spiggums
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
MGMT, they need to own their music not hide behind it. So low energy.

it's kind of hard to own your music when you're a band whose music relies more on the production than your actual songwriting skills.

amplexus
05-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry. I'm running behind in posts for some of the sub-forums. Yes, this performance was utter shiat. I kept waiting for it to get good. It did not.

exactly. qft.

darksideofkaos.
05-24-2010, 07:14 PM
The XX were the most underwhelming. They sounded great but they failed to capture anyones attention who wasn't within 50 feet of the stage. The simply don't have music that can capture the attention of the masses. I found myself about 200 feet from the stage and everyone around me was simply talking and not even looking in their direction.

Plus the Outdoor was ridiculously crowded for their set.

Starraven
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
The XX were the most underwhelming. They sounded great but they failed to capture anyones attention who wasn't within 50 feet of the stage. The simply don't have music that can capture the attention of the masses. I found myself about 200 feet from the stage and everyone around me was simply talking and not even looking in their direction.

Plus the Outdoor was ridiculously crowded for their set.

I found myself thinking that they should have played at night/smaller stage. The music is so intimate that I think it would have helped.

chairmenmeow47
06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I think it's so cute how you just recycle Randy's completely retarded opinions and think that anyone gives two shits what you (or him) think.

Personally, I thought their set was incredible, and could understand if someone disagreed...had they watched the whole set. How can you judge their performance if you only watched 15 minutes?? It built slowly, and by the end of the set, it was a complete mindfuck.

i think it's cute that you think my hatred of oribtal has anything to do with randy (which btw, i've been around several years longer than him). i don't like this type of EDM at all. i grew up with hip-hop, ska, dnb and jungle. why on earth would i enjoy this set for ten minutes or fifty minutes? i hated oribtal before the set, so why would i stay for the whole thing? i only stopped by to see if there was maybe some spectacular light show i was missing out on, but there wasn't even that. i'm glad to see that me not enjoying it angers you so much though. i didn't realize my opinion was that important to someone i've never met <3 <3 <3

spiggums
06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
After seeing Imogen Heap again this weekend, I'm reminded of how her show was fairly underwhelming at Coachella.

Every time I had seen her prior and even more so, this most recent set was a reminder of how unfortunate her set was at Coachella. A combination of technical and environmental factors were the main reason for this, to be sure. But goddamn she was on point this weekend.

If I could have had that show at Coachella it would have been one of the top shows of the weekend.

Of course, this weekend's performance wasn't without issues as well. While she was fantastic, the crowd + venue she was at in DC made for a very uncomfortable experience for me. People remained seated through the whole thing. I have a hard enough time sitting still as it is. Throw a live show that I want to dance along to in the mix and I was grinding my teeth in my seat, fidgeting, needing to get up and release the energy building inside of me.

mistakenstrangers
06-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Spoon. Seriously good on record, seriously boring on stage.

citizenerased
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Gorillaz were far from being the worst act I saw, but compared to what they could've/should've been... fuck it was underwhelming.

OK Calculator
06-06-2010, 01:51 AM

lulz. good one.

OK Calculator
06-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Wale was quite underwhelming.

OK Calculator
06-06-2010, 01:53 AM

yeah, as much as I would love to make sweet sweet candy with Zoey Deschanel it got boring real quick.

chairmenmeow47
06-07-2010, 02:09 PM
she & him seemed so boring on youtubes. if it weren't for prior, unrelated fame, i doubt anyone would be talking about that band.

I.F.A.
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
^ Agreed. On first listen she's got a sweet voice, but her singing is, for me, a lot like her acting (practically catatonic... ahem), and I totally lose interest in about 2 minutes.

amyzzz
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Pavement. I don't get the hype. Just not interesting and very sloppy.

GuyInTucson
06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Pavement. I don't get the hype. Just not interesting and very sloppy.

I actually agree with Amy for a change. I wanted to check them out but after about 5 or 10 minutes I had to leave.

chairmenmeow47
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
i was more excited just hearing thom yorke say the word "pavement" than from what i heard of pavement's set from the ferris wheel. i dug their stage lights though.

amyzzz
06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
To be fair, I'm referring to Pavement at Sasquatch. I didn't have time to try them out at Coachella.

Nordboy
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
The XX by far, I want to burn my tee-shirt I bought.

amyzzz
06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
The xx were divine at Coachella, but you had to be close-ish.

DFrank
06-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I dont think i made any poor decisions, but i did walk in the Sahara to check out Erol Alkan for a minute. God damn, ive never seen the tent so empty and lame that late.

condenser
06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Gorillaz

Deacon Blues
07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
you have to be close up for xx.

i was 20 feet way at their wiltern show and it was really hypnotic. the vibe was just groovy and seductive. i can definitely see them sucking in a festival situation during the day if you're not up close