PDA

View Full Version : BEST MUSICAL POET OF OUR TIME

Ihateoprah
03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I find in todays music its hard to find a true musical poet. To me Jim Morrison was the best musical poet of all time. Not only could he sing but every song had a message and had something people could relate to some how, even still today. Music today lacks that feel, most songs i hear now make no sense and there just abunch of words flowing with the music, or they all have the same meaning behind the song
If i had to choose a favorite musical poet (not favorite musicians or groups) of today it would be Davey Havoc(AFI) or Gordin Downie (Tragically Hip). Just wanted to hear what others thought....

J~$$$
03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
RZA
GZA
Ghostface Killah
Raekwon
Method Man
U-God
Inspectah Deck
Masta Killa
and sometimes y.

kimery08
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
you have a special spot in my heart.

but not that special because i have a vagina and dont care about music.

J~$$$
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I want you sugar tits.

TomAz
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Jim Morrison is overrated IMO.

Christopher Ricks, Professor of Poetry at Oxford, says that Bob Dylan was the greatest english-language poet of the 2nd half of the 20th century.

kimery08
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
i want to grip you, but your pajamas are bad news.

J~$$$
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
hahahahahahha.

adamnikyo
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
...most songs i hear now make no sense and there just abunch of words flowing with the music...

you just don't get it, stupid.

Hannahrain
03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.stencilrevolution.com/photopost/data/502/medium/big_bad_tom_waits.jpg

codytwo
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
The Tragically Hip represent everything that is wrong with Canada.

Tylerdurden31
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Jim Morrison is so over-rated.

my personal favorite and who i think the best is are different.

my personal favorite is travis morrison on Emergency & I

the best - Bob Dylan

RATMan
03-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Be nice, prick.

Ihateoprah makes some fascinating points. Davey Havoc might be the pinnacle of musical poets, a modern day Shakespeare.

However, I prefer more subtle wordsmiths like GG Allin:

(from "I'll Slice Your Fucking Throat")

I'm from the real underground
Don't fuck with me, I'll beat you down
The final frontier, no fakes allowed
If you fuck with me, I'll slice your fucking throat

If you fuck with me
If you fuck with me
If you fuck with me
I'll slice your fucking throat

If you in my gang, you gotta be real
No crossover mainstream sellout deal
A rock 'n' roll revolution is my plan
Kill the corporate business man

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/eskimoprizefighter/gg-allin.jpg

kreutz2112
03-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Christopher Ricks, Professor of Poetry at Oxford, says that Bob Dylan was the greatest english-language poet of the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Ricks is correct.

meyouseek
03-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Best musical poet?

Sir Mix-a-Lot

fasttrack
03-01-2007, 10:55 AM
in my opinion, the best musical poets of our time are david bazan (pedro the lion, headphones), mike kinsella (american football, owen), and conor oberst (bright eyes). in my opinion of course.

TomAz
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
In my opinion, you've barely reached puberty.

fasttrack
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
i'm 27

TomAz
03-01-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm talking biological age, not chronological.

Mr.Nipples
03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
John lennon

fasttrack
03-01-2007, 11:05 AM
chronologically they are, conor oberst (27) mike kinsella (29) david bazan (31) biologically i identify with them because of, drinking, girls, and religion or lack thereof).

ediger
03-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I would have to say Gord Downie's lyrics are some of the greatest poetry I've read. Day For Night is a lyrical masterpiece.

ediger
03-01-2007, 11:08 AM
The Tragically Hip represent everything that is wrong with Canada.

suck my fat cock and go listen to a Nickelback or Our Lady Peace album, dipshit

PotVsKtl
03-01-2007, 11:10 AM
i sunk to find the warmth beneath the mosses with a plan to tunnel past after the rains had run their courses, but alas, the portraits of these frostbit corpses tortured in the grass offered this torch supporter one tall glass of nauseous, and i'm asking you: why's the spy supply hiding in strangers when they know atop the food chain i could spot biters for acres? now be gracious, these minstrels turned the bully cycle civil by dissolving the candy coated image down to the pixels. the upbringing of self-styled freedom brigade investors and their studies connecting one-hit wonders with dust collectors puts it down. it's down beneath the sappy sing-alongs, let's take it further down, we'll let dante decide which ring i'm on. nova. the elders took positions and the fans marched, parched, plain and steamed hawking the rain in my canteen. now i'm like point: i guess i could spare a splash for a couple of heads. counterpoint: during my famine i never got broke your bread. well, equation of intrigue, yes yes. let me fence-sit for a bit. these tense lips need soaking before i hand out tokens. shut the fuck up. drama like kabuki with a heart of dirt, skull fucked crossbones, hence my birth. it hurts. check, check, check. must not sleep. must warn others. trust blocks creep where the dust storm hovers. i milk my habitat for almost everything i want. sometimes i take it all and still can't feel this pitfall in my gut and i'm like must not sleep. must warn others. trust blocks creep where the dust storm hovers. i'm tryin' to walk on top of sunshine but it's ridiculous at times. that's why i'm touring with this warning. feel it

RATMan
03-01-2007, 11:10 AM

My new signature, thanks

RATMan
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Aesop Rock rules

Tylerdurden31
03-01-2007, 11:13 AM
i sunk to find the warmth beneath the mosses with a plan to tunnel past after the rains had run their courses, but alas, the portraits of these frostbit corpses tortured in the grass offered this torch supporter one tall glass of nauseous, and i'm asking you: why's the spy supply hiding in strangers when they know atop the food chain i could spot biters for acres? now be gracious, these minstrels turned the bully cycle civil by dissolving the candy coated image down to the pixels. the upbringing of self-styled freedom brigade investors and their studies connecting one-hit wonders with dust collectors puts it down. it's down beneath the sappy sing-alongs, let's take it further down, we'll let dante decide which ring i'm on. nova. the elders took positions and the fans marched, parched, plain and steamed hawking the rain in my canteen. now i'm like point: i guess i could spare a splash for a couple of heads. counterpoint: during my famine i never got broke your bread. well, equation of intrigue, yes yes. let me fence-sit for a bit. these tense lips need soaking before i hand out tokens. shut the fuck up. drama like kabuki with a heart of dirt, skull fucked crossbones, hence my birth. it hurts. check, check, check. must not sleep. must warn others. trust blocks creep where the dust storm hovers. i milk my habitat for almost everything i want. sometimes i take it all and still can't feel this pitfall in my gut and i'm like must not sleep. must warn others. trust blocks creep where the dust storm hovers. i'm tryin' to walk on top of sunshine but it's ridiculous at times. that's why i'm touring with this warning. feel it

I now must check him out

codytwo
03-01-2007, 11:22 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/spkngrmn/pics%20and%20gifs/livingcolor.jpg

adamnikyo
03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Be nice, prick.

ediger
03-01-2007, 11:33 AM
My new signature, thanks

no problem. As long as you use it for good and not evil...

ediger
03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/spkngrmn/pics%20and%20gifs/livingcolor.jpg

I really don't see what posting pictures of your birthday party is going to accomplish, but to each his own, I guess...

Yablonowitz
03-01-2007, 11:38 AM
"Musical poet" - just the expression makes me cringe and consider hare-kare.

Also, Jim Morrison does the same thing. HE FUCKING SUCKED. Please.

bballarl
03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I vote Thom Yorke, because Radiohead have changed the way we hear paranoia.

Courtney
03-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Is Bob Dylan of our time?

Perhaps a less popular choice, but Saul Williams would be up there for me.

bmack86
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Jim Morrisson was a pretentious drunk.

TomAz
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Is Bob Dylan of our time?

well, he's still alive. still producing music. And his first album came out three days before the day I was born.

bmack86
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Westerberg is another. The Replacements were awesome, and Unsatisfied is a damn-near perfect song.

codytwo
03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Radiohead changed they way I hear Andrew's MOM.

jackstraw94086
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
david bazan (pedro the lion, headphones)

anyone who tries to pass off "All of the experts say you ought to start them young, That way they'll naturally love the taste of corporate cum" with a straight face deserves to be bludgeoned

mob roulette
03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
ozzy.

Yablonowitz
03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Westerberg is another. The Replacements were awesome, and Unsatisfied is a damn-near perfect song.

Not to mention "Androgynous" and "16 Blue". Fuck I love that album!

fober
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
50 Cents.

arie117
Jim Morrison was the greatest during his time and even after his time

Yablonowitz
anyone who tries to pass off "All of the experts say you ought to start them young, That way they'll naturally love the taste of corporate cum" with a straight face deserves to be bludgeoned

Should I be bludgeoned if I think that line actually works in the song? And, if so, will you do the bludgeoning? And, if so, can you bludgeon me softly like you always do? I'll wear a kimono.

blakely
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Darryl Palumbo, Jesse Lacey, and Anthony Green

Boourns
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope

Vericuester
03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Saul Williams is a great slam poet.

bmack86
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
James Brown!
Get Up (Get on up)
Get on the scene (get on up)
Like a sex machine (get on up)

codytwo
03-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Its SHORTY 2 Dope.

Courtney
03-01-2007, 05:38 PM
well, he's still alive. still producing music. And his first album came out three days before the day I was born.

This is true. I guess I'm confusing "of our time" and "of our generation." He's probably the former, but definitely not the latter (for me).

full on idle
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
http://static.flickr.com/89/257843215_2f83ec99e8.jpg
thread over.

mountmccabe
03-01-2007, 06:08 PM
That's a good pic

miseducation
03-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Not that I'm the biggest fan in the world of her music, but that Joanna Newsom can sling some words like nobody's business.

Also - James Mercer throws it down.

Yablonowitz
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Not that I'm the biggest fan in the world of her music, but that Joanna Newsom can sling some words like nobody's business.

Also - James Mercer throws it down.

Mercer's lyrics on Wincing are astonishingly tight.

RATMan
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope

I would argue that Shaggy 2 Dope is the greater poet of the two.

C DUB YA
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Best Musical Poet -

hands down, Matthew Wilder

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Linton Kwesi Johnson

i_like_cake530
03-01-2007, 06:49 PM

well, first of all you dont have to go to a fucken oxford professor to realize that, no matter how smart you are, that gives you no more knowledge of music and meaning of music than any other person. just listen to his music, Bob Dylan, is the arguably the greatest lyricist of the past 50 years if not more.

All That I Am
03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, my kneejerk reaction was Bob Dylan, the guy's writing is genius.

RATMan
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I saw Dylan last year at the Genentech employee concert.... he was fucking horrible.

Nice to know he's good at something, though, poor old sod.

vinylmartyr
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Gil Scott Heron

All That I Am
03-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, i saw him a couple of years back, and it was laughably bad. We didn't know what songs they were doing until like a minute into them. His voice has gone to shit and he didn't have the best voice to begin with. His cadence is all off and the band has to follow his singing, it was sad, but i still think he's a great songwriter. I guess after you sing BLowin' in the wind like a few hundred thousand times, the song just sorta loses its meaning.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I called Dylan's singing "atonal whining" and Yablo asked me to reconsider.

I did. He's a genius songwriter who sings in a way painful to mine ears.

codytwo
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
RATMwhatever is now being ignored by me.

Hannahrain
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I called Dylan's singing "atonal whining" and Yablo asked me to reconsider.

I did. He's a genius songwriter who sings in a way painful to mine ears.

i like dylan.

however, there are a few harmonica tones he hits that give me the ability to taste the metal in my dental work.

i have no idea what that's about.

Mr.Nipples
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Gil Scott Heron

I SECOND THIS...whitey.

codytwo
03-01-2007, 07:22 PM
i like dylan.

however, there are a few harmonica tones he hits that give me the ability to taste the metal in my dental work.

i have no idea what that's about.

For me, the key to appreciating Dylan's work was listening to Bringing it All Back Home. After that, it was like a slow descent into a near-boiling bath.

jackstraw94086
03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
well, first of all you dont have to go to a fucken oxford professor to realize that, no matter how smart you are, that gives you no more knowledge of music and meaning of music than any other person. just listen to his music, Bob Dylan, is the arguably the greatest lyricist of the past 50 years if not more.

You missed the point. Perhaps you enjoy Dylan as much as an oxford professor of lit, but his opinion of Dylan's relative talent among poets is vastly more informed than yours because he's devoted his life to poetry and the study of literature. He's comparing Dylan to probably thousands of poets that he's read and studied whereas you may really like him, but you couldn't come close to making the critical comparisons he can. You don't get to be an oxford professor by pure BS.

Imagine if Bob Dylan didn't exist. Then I said "Robert Jones was the greatest english-language poet of the 2nd half of the 20th century." Then Christopher Ricks, Oxford Professor of Poetry, said "Henry Jackson was the greatest english-language poet of the 2nd half of the 20th century." If you had yet to read the works of either of them, which one would you start with?

bmack86
03-01-2007, 07:40 PM
And, it does give you more knowledge of music and meaning of music, in a very real sense. If you spend time studying music, getting to really understand the origins, the goals and the techniques used in music, then you do have a more informed and knowledgable view of music. Sure, without studying it you can still know plenty, but it's stupid to believe that people who study it intently don't know more about it.

RATMan
03-01-2007, 08:19 PM
At that Genentech show, Dylan was preceded by The Foo Fighters, then followed by The Black Eyed Peas and The Eagles.

Dylan lacked

bmack86
03-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Dylan is allowed to lack. Man's got street cred out the wazoo

codytwo
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.cojeco.cz/attach/image/max/6a/cacd/6acacd211a65ac37598446df2edca458.jpg

He doesn't give a fuck what you think.

EDIT: That wasnt meant as a dis, just a statement of facts.

Yablonowitz
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't recall our discussion about Dylan, johnpeel, but I feel fairly confident that your re-telling is something other than the full truth. Commie bastard.

Here's the thing about Dylan live. Remember this and either hate it and don't got to his shows or embrace it and enjoy them - he does not play or sing any song remotely close to how it is recorded on album. That's what he does, he fucks with the rhythm and tempo and the phrasing and enunciations, cadence, etc of every fucking song he performs. I've seen him live twice in the past 10 years and both times I've walked out hearing people bitch about how they couldn't even tell what the song was until half way through. They say you can't understand what he's saying. But they've got the original song stuck in their head and can't hear that he's singing and playing the songs vastly different. I blame them because I catch the song pretty quickly knowing that I can't expect to recognize it by the first few chords.

There was a long stretch from the late 70's to late 80's where his live performances were lackluster and detached - hit and miss. But he's found a band that works with him and he's found direction again. People may not like the direction he's going now, but I personally think the tepid reactions a lot of people have to his current performances have everything to do with a disconnect between expectation of the audience and intent from Dylan.

I am a Dylan apologist through and through, so don't expect me to think rationally about this if you wish to tangle up in blue with me.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't recall our discussion about Dylan, johnpeel, but I feel fairly confident that your re-telling is something other than the full truth. Commie bastard.

Here's the thing about Dylan live. Remember this and either hate it and don't got to his shows or embrace it and enjoy them - he does not play or sing any song remotely close to how it is recorded on album. That's what he does, he fucks with the rhythm and tempo and the phrasing and enunciations, cadence, etc of every fucking song he performs. I've seen him live twice in the past 10 years and both times I've walked out hearing people bitch about how they couldn't even tell what the song was until half way through. They say you can't understand what he's saying. But they've got the original song stuck in their head and can't hear that he's singing and playing the songs vastly different. I blame them because I catch the song pretty quickly knowing that I can't expect to recognize it by the first few chords.

There was a long stretch from the late 70's to late 80's where his live performances were lackluster and detached - hit and miss. But he's found a band that works with him and he's found direction again. People may not like the direction he's going now, but I personally think the tepid reactions a lot of people have to his current performances have everything to do with a disconnect between expectation of the audience and intent from Dylan.

I am a Dylan apologist through and through, so don't expect me to think rationally about this if you wish to tangle up in blue with me.

Yablo, I confessed in the thread of the same name that I didn't like Dylan's voice. You said something along the lines of "this will hurt your standing, please reconsider".

I confessed precisely for the catharsis of knowing I was flying wildly, nay foolishly, in the face of popular opinion, yet had to let spill my guilty secret.

I have a great album called "Is It Rollin', Bob" of covers of Dylan songs by reggae artists. This proves his genius without, and this is the important bit, WITHOUT the atonal whining!

Now that I think about it, I love Lay Lady Lay, but I think he was just having a good voice day that morning!

;)

Yablonowitz
03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm kind of an asshole, john. Don't listen to me.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
You Dylan apologists have to find something to feed the fire!

;)

codytwo
03-01-2007, 10:01 PM
we don't have to look too hard.

FromTheColonyOfBirchmen
03-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I've always found Saul Williams' writing to be crazy fucking sweet. He's proved him self as a remarkable poet in both musical and literary examples.

roberto73
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Nick Cave, hands down. I really don't see anyone else out there writing the way he does.

wmgaretjax
03-01-2007, 11:17 PM
If Spencer Krug keeps it up, he'll start pushing his way to the top.

bballarl
03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Ol' Dirty Bastard.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Yablo, I confessed in the thread of the same name that I didn't like Dylan's voice. You said something along the lines of "this will hurt your standing, please reconsider".

I confessed precisely for the catharsis of knowing I was flying wildly, nay foolishly, in the face of popular opinion, yet had to let spill my guilty secret.

I have a great album called "Is It Rollin', Bob" of covers of Dylan songs by reggae artists. This proves his genius without, and this is the important bit, WITHOUT the atonal whining!

Now that I think about it, I love Lay Lady Lay, but I think he was just having a good voice day that morning!

The voice complaint is cliche. I'm not suggesting your usage of it is, and I believe you are being facetious with your exaggeration, but other folks who never gave dylan an honest shot always toss out the voice thing.

What they don't realize is that his voice and singing style are a positive boon. His music wouldn't have the same affect if his voice were polished and his rhythm was perfect. It's his singing "imperfections" which serve to contrast and bring into relief the substance of the words. Dylan's instrumentation is really just a frame for his words. An often beatiful frame, but a frame none the less. If his voice were too polished then it would meld too much with the music.
If another singer had performed all of Dylan's songs I don't believe they'd have been as successful. They would have been more difficult to absorb. Think about how often you really take the meaning of a song on the first listening. Dylan keeps your attention and begins to sink in on the first listening, and yet years later you can still appreciate it in different ways.

It's interesting that you mention Lay Lady Lay. It shows quite clearly that you feel the opposite and have a different aesthetic. In my opinion Nashville Skyline was an experiment gone wrong. He actually tried to "sing" for the first time and it was entirely unnecessary. It proves what I described above. His adherence to a more polished traditional singing style made the songs somewhat unremarkable. The songs had a handcuffed feel to them. This is perfectly demonstrated by the terrible version of Girl From The North Country on that album. The original is one of the most beautiful songs ever, but when you play it next to the Nashville Skyline version it loses its affect. Aside from (perhaps) Lay Lady Lay, try to quickly think of another interesting song from that album without looking it up. There really aren't any. Any of his earlier albums are packed with standout classics.

Another good demonstration of this is his version of The Boxer (http://mfile3.akamai.com/14123/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/_!/951/98951_1_16.asx?auth=daEcDcgaDcac_dFdVdqaRbNbMaiaAa pdLcH-bf5.vP-Ci-jfgbl&aifp=1234&obj=v31118) where he overlays both the original and "polished" vocals. There's a reason the polished vocal track is mixed way too loud relative to the other. He had to do it to keep your attention on both. Othwise you'd probably find yourself drawn to his old school loose meandering style (and granted, he's probably a bit too loose on that track, but probably just to create more contrast) as the polished one floated off into the melody.

So you like the throaty attempt at singing instead of the nasally comfortable style. No shame in that (aside from the obvious shame of holding the incorrect opinion). I'm not trying to convince you, only to explain how your perceived fault is actually one of dylan's qualities. You accused the Dylan apologists of lacking substance.

And really, his voice isn't that bad in the first place.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 12:18 AM
and btw, on the subject of great musician/poets, I have to mention Hendrix. I know I'm the biggest Hendrix fanboy on this board and I would never put him up as one of the greatest, but he was a damn good poet in his own right.

Really listen to the lyrics on Electric Ladyland sometime.

Hendrix worshipped Dylan and tried to emulate him whenever possible (but his fans didn't care). Check out the lyrics to "My Friend" for an example of Jimi trying to write a Dylan song.

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 10:56 AM
The voice complaint is cliche. I'm not suggesting your usage of it is, and I believe you are being facetious with your exaggeration, but other folks who never gave dylan an honest shot always toss out the voice thing.

What they don't realize is that his voice and singing style are a positive boon. His music wouldn't have the same affect if his voice were polished and his rhythm was perfect. It's his singing "imperfections" which serve to contrast and bring into relief the substance of the words. Dylan's instrumentation is really just a frame for his words. An often beatiful frame, but a frame none the less. If his voice were too polished then it would meld too much with the music.
If another singer had performed all of Dylan's songs I don't believe they'd have been as successful. They would have been more difficult to absorb. Think about how often you really take the meaning of a song on the first listening. Dylan keeps your attention and begins to sink in on the first listening, and yet years later you can still appreciate it in different ways.

It's interesting that you mention Lay Lady Lay. It shows quite clearly that you feel the opposite and have a different aesthetic. In my opinion Nashville Skyline was an experiment gone wrong. He actually tried to "sing" for the first time and it was entirely unnecessary. It proves what I described above. His adherence to a more polished traditional singing style made the songs somewhat unremarkable. The songs had a handcuffed feel to them. This is perfectly demonstrated by the terrible version of Girl From The North Country on that album. The original is one of the most beautiful songs ever, but when you play it next to the Nashville Skyline version it loses its affect. Aside from (perhaps) Lay Lady Lay, try to quickly think of another interesting song from that album without looking it up. There really aren't any. Any of his earlier albums are packed with standout classics.

Another good demonstration of this is his version of The Boxer (http://mfile3.akamai.com/14123/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/_!/951/98951_1_16.asx?auth=daEcDcgaDcac_dFdVdqaRbNbMaiaAa pdLcH-bf5.vP-Ci-jfgbl&aifp=1234&obj=v31118) where he overlays both the original and "polished" vocals. There's a reason the polished vocal track is mixed way too loud relative to the other. He had to do it to keep your attention on both. Othwise you'd probably find yourself drawn to his old school loose meandering style (and granted, he's probably a bit too loose on that track, but probably just to create more contrast) as the polished one floated off into the melody.

So you like the throaty attempt at singing instead of the nasally comfortable style. No shame in that (aside from the obvious shame of holding the incorrect opinion). I'm not trying to convince you, only to explain how your perceived fault is actually one of dylan's qualities. You accused the Dylan apologists of lacking substance.

And really, his voice isn't that bad in the first place.
Word.

fortydollarsworthofmeat
03-02-2007, 11:04 AM
aesop rock and will sheff.

a little recent to be considered "of our time", but definitely in the running.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah. go Jack. that's the most articulate bit of writing on Dylan I've read in a while.

This will be considerably less articulate: complaining about Dylan's voice and saying he can't "sing" is like complaining that Jackson Pollack couldn't "paint". Dylan's voice is the key to his expressiveness. That's part of his genius: he had the balls to sing it like he felt it rather than the way others might think was "supposed" to be sung. And Dylan expresses more with his voice than 100 divas on 100 American Idols could ever hope to achieve.

To me, Dylan's lyrics don't have half the impact if they're read, or if they're covered (with a few exceptions), compared to his actually performing them. That's where it all comes together. That's where you can really feel it down in your bones. (or, dental work, in Hannah's case).

thinnerair
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/joshw.912.jpg
Rock over London.

kimery08
03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
heinous crimes help record sales more than creative lines

-nas

Yablonowitz
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
To me, Dylan's lyrics don't have half the impact if they're read, or if they're covered (with a few exceptions), compared to his actually performing them. That's where it all comes together. That's where you can really feel it down in your bones. (or, dental work, in Hannah's case).

Word again.

jackstraw94086
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
This will be considerably less articulate: complaining about Dylan's voice and saying he can't "sing" is like complaining that Jackson Pollack couldn't "paint". Dylan's voice is the key to his expressiveness. That's part of his genius: he had the balls to sing it like he felt it rather than the way others might think was "supposed" to be sung. And Dylan expresses more with his voice than 100 divas on 100 American Idols could ever hope to achieve.

double word

jerpar24
03-02-2007, 04:13 PM
and btw, on the subject of great musician/poets, I have to mention Hendrix. I know I'm the biggest Hendrix fanboy on this board and I would never put him up as one of the greatest, but he was a damn good poet in his own right.

Hendrix worshipped Dylan and tried to emulate him whenever possible (but his fans didn't care). Check out the lyrics to "My Friend" for an example of Jimi trying to write a Dylan song.

I got into a fight with my friend the other day. I told him Jimi had some pretty amazing lyrics and he disagreed. After 10 mins of us talking/fighting I made him sit down and listen to E.L. and he changed his mind.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-02-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks for proving my point.

All Along The Watchtower, as interpreted by Hendrix = genius (and let's face it, Jimi's voice ain't "American Idol" standard as you called it).
As done by Dylan = Not My Cup Of Fuckin' Tea!

Blowin' In The Wind by Stevie Wonder showcases the song's message IMO better than Dylan's version.

Likewise, I prefer Siouxsie and the Banshee's version of This Wheel's On Fire better than either Dylan or Brian Auger and the Trinity's version.

It's called personal taste, and my disdain for the way the Bobster "sings" is not formed by "cliche", but rather, it's my opinion, based on having listened to many, many, fuckin' many attempts from others to convert me.

Your eloquent propaganda notwithstanding, I don't see that opinion changing anytime soon. Just as I don't see my love for Shane Magowan, Shaun Ryder or Bernard Sumner's atonal whining changing anytime soon either!

;)

Benis23
03-02-2007, 11:17 PM
you have a special spot in my heart.

but not that special because i have a vagina and dont care about music.

hahaha, WHAT?

id hafta say bob dylan as best poet

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-02-2007, 11:29 PM
hahaha, WHAT?

id hafta say bob dylan as best poet

None of his songs starts with the line "There was a young man from Nantucket", so therefore he can't be a poet!

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 09:35 AM

All Along The Watchtower, as interpreted by Hendrix = genius (and let's face it, Jimi's voice ain't "American Idol" standard as you called it).

Even Dylan agrees with that. He plays "All Along the Watchtower" now far closer to the Hendrix style than the original style.

Blowin' In The Wind by Stevie Wonder showcases the song's message IMO better than Dylan's version.
I haven't heard that. I give you a pass Mr. Some British DJ I've Never Heard of is My Co-Pilot.

Likewise, I prefer Siouxsie and the Banshee's version of This Wheel's On Fire better than either Dylan or Brian Auger and the Trinity's version.
I'm afraid I will have to punch you for that. I will try not to do it in front of the lad, though. Probably just in the shoulder and then I'll run, run away. You probably won't even notice what happened until three days later when your shoulder goes numb, cuz my punches are sneaky like that.

It's called personal taste, and my disdain for the way the Bobster "sings" is not formed by "cliche", but rather, it's my opinion, based on having listened to many, many, fuckin' many attempts from others to convert me.

No one has ever said you don't have the right to be wrong.

jackstraw94086
03-03-2007, 10:07 AM

As done by Dylan = Not My Cup Of Fuckin' Tea!

Your eloquent propaganda notwithstanding, I don't see that opinion changing anytime soon. Just as I don't see my love for Shane Magowan, Shaun Ryder or Bernard Sumner's atonal whining changing anytime soon either!

;)

actually Hendrix' All Along The Watchtower proves MY point.
If you're talking about what's a better SONG, then Hendrix' version wins. Even Dylan admits that.

However, the subject was musical poets. When listening to Dylan's version the lyrics and substance stand out. Hendrix' version is more of a rock song. One of the greatest rock songs of all time. Henrix' instrumentation it so powerful that it detracts from the lyrics.

Both versions are great for different reasons.

jackstraw94086
03-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I haven't heard that. I give you a pass Mr. Some British DJ I've Never Heard of is My Co-Pilot.

shhhh, yablo. Don't admit that. John Peel is a legend.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
shhhh, yablo. Don't admit that. John Peel is a legend.

If you're being serious, then I'll happily admit to my own ignorance. Is he more legendary than Rodney Bingawhoever that Rue used to trash all the time?

jackstraw94086
03-03-2007, 10:13 AM
If you're being serious, then I'll happily admit to my own ignorance. Is he more legendary than Rodney Bingawhoever that Rue used to trash all the time?

christ yes.

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 10:14 AM
aesop rock and will sheff.

a little recent to be considered "of our time", but definitely in the running.
So to be considered a "musical poet of our time" you have to be a singer who can't sing?

TomAz
03-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Well there's always Lucinda Williams. I think she would be in my top 10 at least, and she can sing a bit.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 10:34 AM
So to be considered a "musical poet of our time" you have to be a singer who can't sing?

Yeah, you grasp things perfectly.

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, I didn't really read the entire thread. Kind of pointless if it's all about bands I don't like.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Well, I didn't really read the entire thread. Kind of pointless if it's all about bands I don't like.

Then again we come to the same point, for the 1,000th time - why post at all if you're not going to read or pay attention to what's being discussed?

It makes my left eye twitch like a mother fucker.

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Then again we come to the same point, for the 1,000th time - why post at all if you're not going to read or pay attention to what's being discussed?

It makes my left eye twitch like a mother fucker.
muahahahaha!

apachedino
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
If your talking my time then I can't include Dylan because his prime was long ago. Great poet though. Current great poets that come to mind: Slug (Atmosphere), Joanna Newsom (seriously her new album Y's is epic), Regina Spektor is pretty good too. I am interested in seeing her live if I don't have any conflicts.

Omar1
03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
antonio carlos jobim

http://www.jobim.com.br/images/fotosjoao/violao_praia02.jpg

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I guess this all depends on your definition of "musical poet." If you're considering this artist to be a poet WITHOUT the music, that's one thing. If the artist creates poetry but only WITH the music and lyrics together, then I would choose Thom Yorke (Radiohead) or Rob Dickinson (Catherine Wheel), or possibly even Morrissey (Smiths and solo).

I can't get past Bob Dylan's voice. I can respect that people think of him as a poet, and that's great. Maybe I'll just go read his lyrics, but don't make me listen to him sing!

TomAz
03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I find your concept of poetry to be rather prosaic.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
I find your concept of poetry to be rather prosaic.

What about her histrionics and her affectations?

Bwahahahaha bitch. Come her, gimme some sugar.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
muahahahaha!

OK, fine, laugh. But dont' fucking whine when people insult you repeatedly and throw a pity party by talking about your low self-image and all the crying you do because of the mean things people say to you.

TomAz
03-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Her histrionics are first rate. Affectations, not so much so.

your memory of my posts is better than my own. bitch.

TomAz
03-03-2007, 11:16 AM
OK, fine, laugh. But dont' fucking whine when people insult you repeatedly and throw a pity party by talking about your low self-image and all the crying you do because of the mean things people say to you.

I have given up amy-baiting for Lent. The spiritual discipline will do my soul good.

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Yabs, you're getting kind of vicious today. The reason why I thought of music/lyrics together or lyrics alone was we have this "quote of the day" thing at my work in which employees can contribute a good quote with a known author/speaker of that quote. I was desperately trying to find a Radiohead quote that would resonate without the music, and I couldn't really find any. Of course, only uplifting, "pluralistic" quotes would actually get chosen, so I had to keep that in mind as well.

edited: maybe it's because these are written quotes as opposed to spoken aloud

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Vicious. You're hanging with Adam again.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I have given up amy-baiting for Lent. The spiritual discipline will do my soul good.

A zzzenma, so to speak.

Yablonowitz
03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Vicious. You're hanging with Adam again.

This is why I need to put you on ignore.

Do you see what I'm saying? Do you get my point? You say pointless things, admit they're pointless and then take offense when you get ripped. It's why you get shit. If you want to stop the cycles, think about your own involvement. I try not to give you shit. It seems to be something you enjoy, I hate that. But you don't even seem to understand or take responsibility for why people do it. As is the case right now.

TomAz
03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I was desperately trying to find a Radiohead quote that would resonate without the music

I think that's likely to be a fruitless effort and not just with Radiohead. Lyrics are meant to be sung, not read. It's a different medium.

This article from 1967 (http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/music/lyrics-che.php) does a pretty good job explaining what I am getting at.

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Ok, I'm sorry I found the picture of your eye-twitching to be funny. I was actually laughing when I typed that out. You're usually trying to be funny in a rather vicious way (and a lot of times you ARE funny), so it's hard for me to tell when you're actually serious and taking no prisoners. I would be really hurt if Yabs put me on ignore, but oh well. It's only a message board, right?

TomAz
03-03-2007, 11:47 AM
which is worse: yabs stalking you or ignoring you?

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Yabs never stalked me.

TomAz
03-03-2007, 11:59 AM
that's what you think

amyzzz
03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I knew you'd say that. Please. Yabs is harmless.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-05-2007, 07:47 AM

That's as heinous a crime as not liking Dylan. This will affect your standing. Please reconsider!

;)

Yablonowitz
03-05-2007, 08:09 AM
That's as heinous a crime as not liking Dylan. This will affect your standing. Please reconsider!

;)

I'm not well-schooled on influential radio DJs, obviously. The only one I know of is that guy who coined the term rock and roll. And I don't even know that fuckers name.

Queue tomaz.

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 08:17 AM
leonard cohen>greater than everyone else

no cave or buckley without leonard. and i love dylan and waits. LOVE. but you have to admit that at least some of their mid career stuff is phoned in. i could write a tom waits song. i could do dylan. a few of us here could string together something like desolation row or it's alright ma, given the right stream of thought and some pills. or at least a bottle of wine or two. not so with cohen. even at his most admittedly laughable moments, his lyrics still remain incredibly genuine and personal and precise. no one cuts to the quick quite as well as him and certainly no one turns a more eloquent phrase. and i don't think it's ever been an act either and for that i respect him immensely. character goes a long way in pop music. more so than personality, i think.

but what do i know?

jackstraw94086
03-05-2007, 08:20 AM
leonard cohen>greater than everyone else

no cave or buckley without leonard. and i love dylan and waits. LOVE. but you have to admit that at least some of their mid career stuff is phoned in. i could write a tom waits song. i could do dylan. a few of us here could string together something like desolation row or it's alright ma, given the right stream of thought and some pills. or at least a bottle of wine or two. not so with cohen. even at his most admittedly laughable moments, his lyrics still remain incredibly genuine and personal and precise. no one cuts to the quick quite as well as him and certainly no one turns a more eloquent phrase. and i don't think it's ever been an act either and for that i respect him immensely. character goes a long way in pop music. more so than personality, i think.

but what do i know?

Nobody on this board is going to write another Desolation Row. Not you, me, none of them.

And I don't believe a great musician's latter day sins detract from the value of his greatest works

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not well-schooled on influential radio DJs, obviously. The only one I know of is that guy who coined the term rock and roll. And I don't even know that fuckers name.

Queue tomaz.

Alan Freed

TomAz
03-05-2007, 08:34 AM

Queue tomaz.

Alan Freed? i think. I looked it up he's in the RnR HOF. I really don't care about DJs too much. I know John Peel is well loved by the Brits but other than that I don't know much about him.

jackstraw94086
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't know tons about john peel, but seems as though he managed to always stay on the cutting edge of many genres. He seemed above the commercial shit.

He was part of breaking many bands in areas from indie rock to IDM and probably beyond. Lots of great bands have a set of "Peel Sessions".

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Nobody on this board is going to write another Desolation Row. Not you, me, none of them.

And I don't believe a great musician's latter day sins detract from the value of his greatest works

i. love. dylan. i could write a dylan SONG is all i'm saying. okay, you're right, maybe not desolation row. but i could write watchtower. or a hard rain's gonna fall. he's very very good at what he does, i'm just not convinced that it's always been completely personal with him. that's what separates great lyrics from good ones. for me anyways. there will never be another dylan, but i challenge you to write an everybody knows or a hallelujah. or a suzanne. jesus. suzanne. i could never do that. it cuts too deep and it takes too much.

agreed with your second statement though, btw. it's why i love prince too. as well as most artists who "betray" their audience. it's not the artists fault if they mature and develop past their original fan base. that's called progress. that's called body of work. that's being an adult. just saying.

jackstraw94086
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't claim that there are many people who could a "hallelujah" either.

As long as you admit Desolation Row is not a song that could be easily replicated we're cool.

Yablonowitz
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Now at midnight all the agents
And the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone
That knows more than they do
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
Is brought down from the castles
By insurance men who go
Check to see that nobody is escaping
To Desolation Row

Just try it, bitch. One stanza...c'mon. We'll wait.

j/k

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
agreed. we cool. i'm totally switzerland on messrs dylan and cohen. both outstanding in their own obvious ways.

also john peel>tony wilson? true, yes? YES.

omg wtf bbq
03-05-2007, 09:08 AM

Agreed.

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Now at midnight all the agents
And the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone
That knows more than they do
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
Is brought down from the castles
By insurance men who go
Check to see that nobody is escaping
To Desolation Row

j/k

i am so going to answer this after lunch. hang on, let me grab my metaphor book. be back.

omg wtf bbq
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
http://funhouse.hautetfort.com/album/bob_dylan/cover-bob-dylan---studio--c10086117.jpg

ChiefThunderFist
03-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow, it only took 132 replies for someone to post lyrics to back up their position. Now whose got some good Jim Morrison lyrics? That's a rhetorical question--he never wrote any. Westerberg is one of the best:

"God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung
Dreams unfulfilled, graduate unskilled
It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten...."

"The ones who love us best are the ones we'll lay to rest
And visit their graves on holidays at best
The ones who love us least are the ones we'll die to please
If it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them"

TomAz
03-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow, it only took 132 replies for someone to post lyrics to back up their position. Now whose got some good Jim Morrison lyrics? That's a rhetorical question--he never wrote any. Westerberg is one of the best:

"God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung
Dreams unfulfilled, graduate unskilled
It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten...."

"The ones who love us best are the ones we'll lay to rest
And visit their graves on holidays at best
The ones who love us least are the ones we'll die to please
If it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them"

I love the Replacements but Westerberg's lyrics look stupid on paper. Most rock lyrics do. That's why it's best not to read them as poetry.

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM

one stanza, desolation melody, coachella style:

And Venus looks out from her picture window
And declares all the poets insane
They shoot their guns like lions in the sun
And pretend to pray for rain
And the idiot box is laughing
Itís a televised war machine
With death and love and algebra
Dancing slow on a blue screen
And you can always start out on champagne
But in the end, itís grape soda and Demerol
You can chase your blues with the absence of news
But youíll never fool them allÖ

stream of conciousness is not all that hard is all i'm saying. hard to do WELL, but not hard to approach.

these could also serve as halfway plausible bright eyes lyrics too. for what it's worth.

TomAz
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM

derivative

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
derivative

awww. after i name checked you too...you're a hard man to please, Tom.

ps

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

TomAz
03-05-2007, 11:20 AM
you name checked me? where?

but anyway. I said "derivative" because you sound like a guy trying to sound like Dylan. which is a lot different than thinking it up in the first place.

Yablonowitz
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Ha-ha.

First of all, I'd have to hear you sing to see how you feel it.

Secondly, there is no way that Desolation Row is strictly stream of consciousness. Ain't no way.

mob roulette
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
you name checked me? where?

i confess that i have no idea what grape soda and demerol means. i just associate it with your old sig.

jackstraw94086
03-05-2007, 11:26 AM

stream of conciousness is not all that hard is all i'm saying. hard to do WELL, but not hard to approach.

these could also serve as halfway plausible bright eyes lyrics too. for what it's worth.

far too contrived for dylan lyrics. bright eyes perhaps.

TomAz
i confess that i have no idea what grape soda and demerol means. i just associate it with your old sig.

ah. got it.

that came from the video of the guy who went 5 days without sleep waiting in line to by the Wii. did you miss that?

mob roulette
Ha-ha.

First of all, I'd have to hear you sing to see how you feel it.

Secondly, there is no way that Desolation Row is strictly stream of consciousness. Ain't no way.

also i don't mean stream of conciousness exactly. i mean the application of metaphors as storytelling device. which mr zimmerman freaking EXCELS at.

jackstraw94086
03-05-2007, 11:28 AM

that is excusable then. if you had actually tried to seriously perpetrate that line that would be inexcusable

J~$$$
03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
http://dylanhearsawho.com/

here dylan meets a cat in a hat.

I love it! It cracks me up.

Yablonowitz
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Ummm...that is fucking cool. And hilarious.

full on idle
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Leonard Cohen seconded.

Thin Lizzy > Hendrix ????????

jackstraw94086
03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Leonard Cohen seconded.

Thin Lizzy > Hendrix ????????

Please repeat that, I couldn't hear it.

full on idle
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
*giggle*

Yablonowitz
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Phil Lynott was a good lyricist. But...not saying I agree with that.

caco0283
03-06-2007, 04:49 AM
wow i saw this thread and got really excited but after skimming through it i think this is stupid...its not a thread on best musical poet....its a thread on what singer how cool lyrics....just cos a person has a mic and sings some cool stuff doesn't make it poetry.... jimi hendrix???? come on where is the poetry...i like hendrix....i like his songs but poetry it is not.....its song lyrics.

this is just as bad as putting a thread on your favorite actor and you mention someone on reality tv because they appear on tv and they have dialogue with other people

although a few people did mention Gil Scott Heron....that is a musical poet....not hendrix

jackstraw94086
03-06-2007, 06:23 AM
wow i saw this thread and got really excited but after skimming through it i think this is stupid...its not a thread on best musical poet....its a thread on what singer how cool lyrics....just cos a person has a mic and sings some cool stuff doesn't make it poetry.... jimi hendrix???? come on where is the poetry...i like hendrix....i like his songs but poetry it is not.....its song lyrics.

this is just as bad as putting a thread on your favorite actor and you mention someone on reality tv because they appear on tv and they have dialogue with other people

although a few people did mention Gil Scott Heron....that is a musical poet....not hendrix

fucking read before speaking.

caco0283
03-06-2007, 06:33 AM
somebody is having a bad day

jackstraw94086
03-06-2007, 06:35 AM
just read. That's all. You'll see the context that in which hendrix was added. Nobody said he was the best.

And listen to more than Are Your Experienced before disqualifying Hendrix.

caco0283
03-06-2007, 06:42 AM
ill read the lyrics not listen to it.....just cos we are talking about poetry...i never said anything bad about hendrix....but one song with lyrics that are poetic don't make him the best musical poet of our time

jackstraw94086
03-06-2007, 06:50 AM
ill read the lyrics not listen to it.....just cos we are talking about poetry...i never said anything bad about hendrix....but one song with lyrics that are poetic don't make him the best musical poet of our time

which nobody asserted. If you really listen to his later work though you'll realize he's a far better lyricist than people give him credit for based on his handful of pop songs.

The songs on Electric Ladyland and the mountains of stuff release posthumously demonstrate this.

caco0283
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
maybe im being pretenious but to me there is a huge difference between a great lyricist and a great poet

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Ivor Cutler...

jackstraw94086
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
maybe im being pretenious but to me there is a huge difference between a great lyricist and a great poet

musical poet kind of implies lyricist.

NiceArthur32
03-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Ludacris

&

Jay Z

jazzz
03-01-2008, 02:18 AM
a few writers I like

Mike Scott (Waterboys)
Stan Ridgeway (Wall of Voodoo)
Matt Johnson (The The)
Nick Cave
Marc Almond
Scott Walker
Leonard Cohen
Bendan Perry
Mark Hollis (Talk Talk)
Martin L. Gore
Mark E. Smith (The Fall)
Tom Waits
Vini Reilly (The Durutti Column)

humanoid
03-01-2008, 02:25 AM
Ludacris

&

Jay Z

sorry, that was incorrect

humanoid
03-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Conor Oberst (back in the old days)
Elliott Smith

just a few that I enjoy

wmgaretjax
03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Mark E Smith

gaypalmsprings
03-01-2008, 08:44 AM
The best of "my time" was Jim Morrison. Of course, Bob Dylan cuts across decades.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
It's still Paul Simon, guys.

Jim Morrison, Gaypalm? I would have hoped for better from you. So cliche.

Hannahrain
03-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Who wrote the Oscar Meyer jingle? I vote for that guy.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Garfunkel.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
And if we're talking about "our time" as in like right now, it's still Thom Yorke. Before that it was Cobain, but only for like four years. Before that it was The Fat Boys, of course.

bballarl
03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Jim Morrison was a drunk, not a poet.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Those are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they're frequently mutually inclusive.

gaypalmsprings
03-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Who wrote the Oscar Meyer jingle? I vote for that guy.

A well-known advertising jingle, written in 1963 by Richard D. Trentlage and set to music by Philip Bova, has had generations humming[2]:

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener
That is what I truly want to be
'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener
Everyone would be in love with me.

Another product's jingle is almost equally well well-known:

My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R
My bologna has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R
Oh, I love to eat it every day, and if you ask me why, I'll say,
"'Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A."

This jingle was sung by Andy Lambros in 1976 in a famous commercial.[3]

The Evolution Control Committee mashed this jingle with the American National Anthem to make their tune Star Spangled Bologna.

thelastgreatman
03-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Want some of my baloney, Gaypalm?

gaypalmsprings
03-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Want some of my baloney, Gaypalm?

You are 100% bologna!

C4_G7HHJ0GE

Cheddar's Cousin
03-01-2008, 09:23 AM
How has Lou Reed not been mentioned?

Also, Damien Rice

canexplain
03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/P1000822.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/DSC04848.jpg

no comment just posted these cuz i am bored .... x****

MarkO
03-01-2008, 09:51 AM
..........I know John Peel is well loved by the Brits but other than that I don't know much about him.

You should research him, his work and the bands he loved and gave a leg up to. He was truly a pioneer and there will never be another like him.

gaypalmsprings
03-01-2008, 09:58 AM
SHAGGY

Honey came in and she caught me red-handed
Creeping with the girl next door
Picture this, we were both butt naked, banging on the bathroom floor

How could I forget that I had
Given her an extra key
All this time she was standing there
She never took her eyes off me

How you can grant the woman access to your villa
Trespasser and a witness while you cling to your pillow
You better watch your back before she turn into a killer
Best for you and the situation not to call the beaner
To be a true player you have to know how to play
If she say a night, convince her say a day
Never admit to a word when she say makes a claim
And you tell her baby no way

But she caught me on the counter (It wasn't me)
Saw me bangin' on the sofa (It wasn't me)
I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me)
She even caught me on camera (It wasn't me)

She saw the marks on my shoulder (It wasn't me)
Heard the words that I told her (It wasn't me)
Heard the scream get louder (It wasn't me)
She stayed until it was over

Gonna tell her that I'm sorry
For the pain that I've caused
I've been listening to your reasoning
It makes no sense at all
We should tell her that I'm sorry
For the pain that I've caused
You may think that you're a player
But you're completely lost
That's why I sing

MarkO
03-01-2008, 10:03 AM
My vote(s) for the poets of our time are Dylan, Van Morrison, Marvin Gaye, Morrissey, Jeff Tweedy, Mike Patton & Thom Yorke