PDA

View Full Version : I Survived Coachella 2010!

Betamike
04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
If this was your first Coachella, you may not realize that not all Coachella festivals were this crowded.

What tips and tricks did you implement to survive the Volcanopolypse Coachella 2010!

PlayaDelWes
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
1. Don't split sets (if you're up close, see the entire set)
2. Walk to your car @ the end of the night faster than everyone else
3. Catch a set while eating a meal in the food court SE of the Outdoor
4. If you're in back of a crowd, you may get better sound by moving even further back to the next set of speakers

Aenima
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
The Heineken dome beer gardens made for a good make believe VIP area.

Mr. Porter
04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Being in shape = best advantage over majority of others attempting to catch a good spot for a set

CrimesceneCookie
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
1. Show up before 4pm Thursday for camping
2. Don't look or act like knuckleheads checking in and they'll wave you through faster. Seriously. Look as square as you can and be nice to security. If you show up shirtless and drunk they'll search your car REALLY hard.
3. Use the bathrooms closest to the Sahara and not the Mojave. Everyone else piles into the ones on the Mojave side not realizing there are no lines on the Sahara side.
4. Get in closer to each stage by going around the crowd to the right side (Everyone else piles in to the left side)
5. They'll give you the largest slice of Spicy Pie if you just point to the slice you want.
6. Camping means you don't have to wait for your friends to go in. Saved so much stress this year.

DRcube
04-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Being in shape = best advantage over majority of others attempting to catch a good spot for a set

THIS THIS THIS

before coachella 09 i used to work out a lot and that helped when i would stand for three or four straight sets trying to get a good spot

this year i am completely out of shape and i would become completely exhausted after two gobi sets

mlgiardina
04-21-2010, 02:37 PM
2. Walk to your car @ the end of the night faster than everyone else
3. Catch a set while eating a meal in the food court SE of the Outdoor
4. If you're in back of a crowd, you may get better sound by moving even further back to the next set of speakers

this.

audidude
04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Hearing all the kufuffle about packed parking lots made me realize how great our post-tailgating was. We took our time getting out and left by 2 or 3. If you can do it, it's the way to go.

Also arriving before noon each day helped traffic IMMENSELY!

minogueCOMMAk
04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm suprised I'm alive right now.

cuauhtemoc723
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
The Heineken dome beer gardens made for a good make believe VIP area.

as did the 5gum tent between the gobi and the mohave (closer to this stage). air conditioning and screens of the stages.

definitely! start walking in january and always add a few blocks to your routine. i was dead on friday afternoon, but i was relatively sound for the late night, saturday and sunday.

3. Use the bathrooms closest to the Sahara and not the Mojave. Everyone else piles into the ones on the Mojave side not realizing there are no lines on the Sahara side.
4. Get in closer to each stage by going around the crowd to the right side (Everyone else piles in to the left side)

3. use the restrooms that are in the middle, they get less traffic. i used one sunday night (during thom yorke's set and it was pretty clean for being the last few hours of the festival).

4. walk AROUND the crowd. if you're facing the stage, go as far left as you can for the main stage, and to the right for the others.

Hearing all the kufuffle about packed parking lots made me realize how great our post-tailgating was. We took our time getting out and left by 2 or 3. If you can do it, it's the way to go.
Also arriving before noon each day helped traffic IMMENSELY!

arriving early helps get a closer spot to the gate - at least for the lot i was at. and i only kicked it in the lot after on sunday.
i got out of the lot on to flowing traffic in about 25 minutes. no one was driving on the middle (emergency) lane (of monroe st.), but everyone is trying to get out. so i did it and passed about thirty cars.
saturday, a van followed me and cars followed it, we got out twice as fast.
sunday, my man and i just kicked it in the parking lot til about 1:30ish. i had a case of the giggles and didn't want to waste my shroom high on traffic. we took 100 pictures in the car posing and messing around. plus, i needed to grief the fact that it was over.

PlayaDelWes
04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Tacking works good in crowds as well
http://www.recsports.ufl.edu/ContentManagedImages/wauburg/sailing/wauburg_sailing_tacking.jpg

ErikFlyingV
04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Pro-Tip: Don't show up late to Thom Yorke and be forced to either watch the screen near dancing preteen ravers ranting about Radiohead and then choosing to get a spot for a solid but not visually arresting performance form the Gorillaz.

shermanoaksyo
04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Leave 10 minutes earlier than what's convenient for every set that really matters to you. I stuck to this principle and had zero problems seeing everything I wanted from a decent spot.

brycerosen
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
get drunk but dont get that drunk, but get reeeeaaaly high

CrimesceneCookie
04-21-2010, 07:04 PM
NEVER camp out at any stage and sit through bands you don't like to get a good spot for someone else. You'll make yourself miserable and you'll miss so much shit. If you are reasonably competent and maneuver around a bit, you'll get a decent view for most acts even if you walk in as they are starting.

meowlouder
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
1. Show up before 4pm Thursday for camping
2. Don't look or act like knuckleheads checking in and they'll wave you through faster. Seriously. Look as square as you can and be nice to security. If you show up shirtless and drunk they'll search your car REALLY hard.
5. They'll give you the largest slice of Spicy Pie if you just point to the slice you want.
6. Camping means you don't have to wait for your friends to go in. Saved so much stress this year.

LOL at #5. genius!

Yoshan
04-21-2010, 07:08 PM
1. Carry empty water bottles in an refill them. At most it was a 15 min wait but I saved more than $50. The line for the official refills were just as long as the water fountain ones anyway
2. Get in shape. Will be doing this from now till the next Coachella. I was able to manage but wouldn't have been so exhausted at the end of each day if I hadn't been acting like a fat ass in teh preceding months
3. Get there before 5pm Thursday. It was still choatic, but I can't imagine what the ppl arriving Friday went through
4. Skip the 2hr shower line, fill up a gallon container of water and give yourself a water bottle shower. works just as well without the pain of sweating in line
5. Skip buying all the junk food and use the farmers market at the campsite. Your body will thank you and you'll be in much better shape after Coachella
6. Try to get sleep in the lounge areas

algunz
04-21-2010, 07:09 PM

This was the hardest one that I had to learn to accept. I'm all about catching the end and the beginning, and this was just not a logical way to work in this crowd. :(

meowlouder
04-21-2010, 07:11 PM
If it's between seeing a band that you don't really like that your friends want to see or seeing a band that you like sans friends, definitely just go by yourself. You will beat yourself up afterwards for not seeing them. Trust.

StegoDee
04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
NEVER camp out at any stage and sit through bands you don't like to get a good spot for someone else. You'll make yourself miserable and you'll miss so much shit. If you are reasonably competent and maneuver around a bit, you'll get a decent view for most acts even if you walk in as they are starting.

This.

I was pretty good about respectfully maneuvering my way through the crowds at the sets I arrived to a bit later than I would have liked to, but I'm kicking myself for missing Jonsi and Phoenix to get a good spot for Pavement and Gorillaz, thinking the crowds waitng for both would be too huge to maneuver through, but no...you could have walked practically to the rail for Spoon and Pavement, no problem. Thankfully, I just bought tickets for Phoenix at a local venue, but man...that was a bad call missing Jonsi...

Would have liked to check out Thom Yorke and Plastikman as well, but missing them isn't as dissapointing.

StegoDee
04-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah, and don't try to hit up the Palm Springs Wal-Mart for camping supplies around nine o'clock...we grabbed the last of the bed rolls right before some British guys did - haha.

Mr. Porter
04-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah you're pretty much wasting time and it's not difficult to maneuver at all...just be courteous (if possible) and reasonable as well

psycobetabuckdown
04-21-2010, 08:56 PM
4. walk AROUND the crowd. if you're facing the stage, go as far left as you can for the main stage, and to the right for the others.

This was key for Gorillaz. Thom Yorke ended, and immediately Gorillaz began, so everyone rushed to the closest part of the stage.

I walked superfast jellyfish through the crowd to the other side (which meant I wasn't really paying attention to Snoop's recorded voice) and got way closer for Gorillaz than I had been at Yorke. I was shocked at how close I could get when it was the only real act playing. I wonder how many people thought Gorillaz was packed because they were on the right, when really it wasn't that bad.

psycobetabuckdown
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
2. Get in shape. Will be doing this from now till the next Coachella. I was able to manage but wouldn't have been so exhausted at the end of each day if I hadn't been acting like a fat ass in teh preceding months

Ha! People are really serious about this - the Coachella 362-day workout plan.

6. Try to get sleep in the lounge areas

Yeah, I was sick Friday from sleep deprivation, I couldn't tell if Yeasayer was actually bad or if I just wasn't enjoying it because of my headache. That tent next door was amazing, although a worker woke me up in the middle of Street Sweeper's set.

frazzles
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM

This only applies during the middle of a Sahara set. And before 6.

deftonepuma
04-21-2010, 09:29 PM

Also don't drink alcohol. Protein. The rest will take care of itself. Sleep is overrated.

unit300021
04-21-2010, 09:39 PM
if your camping go into the venue when the gates open and go to a lunge and take a nap. I did that everyday and it really helps out to get you into the night and takes care of some of the lack of sleep from camping.

eskamo951
04-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm suprised I'm alive right now.

This! This is my 3rd Coachella and the only one I've come out of actually saying this to myself.

hacking my dreams
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
eye dropper pipettes from Walgreens (detach the black rubber pushy part) make the perfect weed smoking tool, small and inconspicuous and disposable and cheap.

the worst part about it all is getting lost if you have a bad sense of direction, you need to remember guideposts along the way, since it becomes dark when you're heading back to the car.

a flashlight would be awesome if you are in the mood to scrounge around the grass at night for...valuables.

do not feel guilty about missing anyone, ever. you are having an amazing experience, even if you are at the fucking back at La Roux and its hopeless to move forward.

Work Out Get A Body

kennethhoratio
04-21-2010, 11:35 PM

Yeah, my car search lasted 2 minutes. I think mainly because he saw that I had no alcohol and I told him up front I had some syringes for diabetic supplies.

I REALLY wanted to be front-center for Gorillaz, so I figured the best way was to just camp at the stage. I guess I just lucked out, because I wanted to see Yo La Tengo, Spoon, and Pavement too.

There were two bands I saw where I was right up front and wished I could leave, one of which I was glad I didn't by the end (Porcupine Tree; the other was King Khan & The Shrines). For the most part, this was never a problem since most of the bands I wanted to see didn't conflict.

My only conflicting sets were where I didn't get to see Jonsi & Thom Yorke, but I don't regret it at all. I saw Spoon and Gorillaz from way up close.