PDA

View Full Version : BRIGHT EYES- COACHELLA '11!!?

allieteils
04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
pleaaaaaaase

fancy restaurant
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
pleaaaaaaase

get fucked.

humanoid
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
You missed the prime of Bright Eyes, sorry...Conor has moved on to more boring, countrified pastures

cassett
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
bright eyes is no more... like humanoid said... he has moved on to boring pastures.

jonesjupiter
04-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Wasn't Bright Eyes formed in one big fucking pasture?

humanoid
04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Nebraska?? yeah, pretty much..

jonesjupiter
04-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Okay...i thought so but I just wanted to make sure...

SomeGuyInNM
04-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Conor Oberst has said in many interviews that he wanted to retire "Bright Eyes."
But there was recently a re-issue of a 2004 EP by Bright Eyes and Neva Dinova, that had newly recorded Bright Eyes songs.

Pitchfork says that Oberst plans on one more Bright Eyes album before retiring the name, supposedly due out in the fall of this year.

I would love to see Bright Eyes, I've seen Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band 3 times, but he never played any Bright Eyes stuff, and I would love to hear him play some.

minogueCOMMAk
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
I think I'd rather listen to Tiesto spin a track created from the sound of my own hand being torn apart in a magic bullet than hear Bright Eyes.

humanoid
04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I've seen Bright Eyes about 15 times and he never plays any older stuff...he doesn't like to dip back into the back catalog....it's really disappointing if you've been a fan for a long time..

I just don't hold high hopes for a new Bright Eyes recording, I'm not really a huge fan of the more recent stuff

GaragePoet
04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
there should be a separate forum for stupid shit like this...

humanoid
04-21-2010, 09:05 PM
because you don't like Bright Eyes? or because people are talking about 2011 already?

matsuolost
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
because it's way past his time. his shows from 2005 and before were so good, though

humanoid
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
/\ I completely agree with that

jonesjupiter
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah...I think the train has left the station...monsters of folk isn't that bad though is it??

Sexecutioner
04-21-2010, 09:14 PM
id rather have mystic valley band back again.

SomeGuyInNM
04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
I'd go for a Monsters Of Folk set.

jonesjupiter
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM

I agree...I'm really suprised they aren't floating around this festival season, i expected to see them somewhere for sure...

deftonepuma
04-21-2010, 09:21 PM
"allieteils
Lurker

Go away. You don't belong here.

jonesjupiter
04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
"allieteils
Lurker

Go away. You don't belong here.

???

shakermaker113
04-22-2010, 07:34 AM
I've seen Bright Eyes about 15 times and he never plays any older stuff...he doesn't like to dip back into the back catalog....it's really disappointing if you've been a fan for a long time..

except for that one tour where he intentionally played from his entire catalog.

allieteils
04-22-2010, 08:08 AM
im just saying a bright eyes reunion for coachella would be pretty sick, of course it wouldn't headline, and probably be on the outdoor stage, it would be a good set. and yes im a "lurker" on the coachella message boards... what does that have to do with anything

sbessiso
04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
id rather have mystic valley band back again.

BINGO

or even better....

BayAreaIsBetter
01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Hoooray

Mammoth85
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Ha! Eat crow everyone!

RODGERRAMJET
01-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I watched my Coachella DVD last night. I had forgotten how good Bright Eyes was. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

thestripe
01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
He really was quite good in 04.

heart cooks brain
01-23-2011, 10:08 AM
I watched my Coachella DVD last night. I had forgotten how good Bright Eyes was. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

FYI, Conor Oberst is half-black

citizenerased
01-29-2011, 01:10 PM
The People's Key has leaked!!

Stickjohn
01-29-2011, 01:24 PM
We need music!yLAMg6o5w2s

TheWhat
01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I tried to listen to a Bright Eyes cd once, but I realized it was a not-as-good version of Elliott Smith so I just listened to Elliott Smith instead.

LickTheLizzard
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
His tour starts in a little over a week. I'm interested to see what the set list looks like.

LickTheLizzard
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
I tried to listen to a Bright Eyes cd once, but I realized it was a not-as-good version of Elliott Smith so I just listened to Elliott Smith instead.

Cool story bro.

citizenerased
01-29-2011, 01:40 PM
The new album is great!

zircona1
01-29-2011, 03:03 PM
They're one of my must-see acts on Saturday (provided they don't hit MO on their tour). I actually got into them after Conor put the name on hiatus, found out that I could've seen them in town when they toured for Cassadega (aargh).

Desaparecidos
01-29-2011, 06:21 PM
The whole new album got leaked, and let me tell you I have not stopped smoking weed or listening to the new album in my computer chair all day.

cutterbutter
01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Just getting into Bright Eyes more now. I've had I'm Wide Awake It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn for a while now and enjoy both of them. I just got The People's Key that leaked, but I'm looking for where to go from here in his catalogue. O and I guess I really enjoyed the Desaparecidos album too, but I can just venture a guess nothing is similar to that...

LickTheLizzard
01-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Just getting into Bright Eyes more now. I've had I'm Wide Awake It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn for a while now and enjoy both of them. I just got The People's Key that leaked, but I'm looking for where to go from here in his catalogue. O and I guess I really enjoyed the Desaparecidos album too, but I can just venture a guess nothing is similar to that...

Fevers and Mirrors was the first Bright Eyes album I really got into, I would recommend it. They are all good.... Cassadega is my least favorite out of all of them.

Vote on your favorite in the Poll I made
Bright Eyes Best Album? (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45089)

VigoTheCarpathian
01-29-2011, 08:36 PM
TheWhat is a stupid fucking handle, Eliot Smith is very overrated by hipsters who only know about him through Wes Anderson and the fools that follow them, and Bright Eyes, e: I'm a mongoloid neighbor, is one of the most prolific and creative bands of the decade.

VigoTheCarpathian
01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Fevers and Mirrors was the first Bright Eyes album I really got into, I would recommend it. They are all good.... Cassadega is my least favorite out of all of them.

Vote on your favorite in the Poll I made
Bright Eyes Best Album? (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45089)

This

citizenerased
01-29-2011, 10:39 PM
The People's Key is like Digital Ash with a desert vibe.

thewoodenman
01-30-2011, 07:28 AM
new album is superb, glad to see conor still has it in him

LickTheLizzard
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I've been listening to the new album all day today, I like it so far. I'm a little concerned that the majority of the songs are just guitar, keyboard and drums.... I am really hoping he brings more musicians than this with him to coachella, but I fear we may get a set comprised mostly of new tracks with only 1-2 old ones.

Somewhat Damaged
01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
TheWhat is a stupid fucking handle, Eliot Smith is very overrated by hipsters who only know about him through Wes Anderson and the fools that follow them, and Bright Eyes, my mongoloid neighbor, is one of the most prolific and creative bands of the decade.

Bright Eyes is your mongoloid neighbor?

Put me down for I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning being Bright Eyes' best album. Though I have a rotten taste in my mouth from that shit Conor pulled in '05 so I don't know if they'll win any conflicts this year.

bobert
01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
You guys like the new album? I'll have to give it another listen, but right now I'm fairly convinced it's the worst work he's ever done.

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-30-2011, 12:36 PM
It's so much more fun liking Bright Eye's than hating on Bright Eye's.

LickTheLizzard
01-30-2011, 12:38 PM
You guys like the new album? I'll have to give it another listen, but right now I'm fairly convinced it's the worst work he's ever done.

I can't tell yet. At times I think I really like it, and then other times I think it's awful. Most of his albums take time to grow on me. I haven't given up on it yet.

humanoid
01-30-2011, 12:41 PM

I haven't listened yet to the album in its entirety yet, but was thoroughly unimpressed with Shell Games. I'm hoping that song might be an anomaly, but I don't have a ton of faith right now.

Desaparecidos
01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Pshhhh, listen to "Ladder Song" (track 9) and then tell me this album sucks, this album is fucking brilliant.

citizenerased
01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I am really hoping he brings more musicians than this with him to coachella, but I fear we may get a set comprised mostly of new tracks with only 1-2 old ones.
Doubt it. When I saw Monsters of Folk he squeezed At The Bottom of Everything, The Big Picture, We Are Nowhere And Its Now, Hit The Switch, and Soul Singer In A Session Band in. I imagine at an actual Bright Eyes show we're gonna get some throwbacks. I personally think it'd be fucking sweet to see Let's Not Shit Ourselves at Coachella.

bobert
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Pshhhh, listen to "Ladder Song" (track 9) and then tell me this album sucks, this album is fucking brilliant.

I agree that's the best song on the album. The fact that it's not a great song says everything about the album.

ficklecycle
01-30-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm actually pretty excited for this set. I only ever got to see Bright Eyes once and that was on the tour they did with The Faint that Nick Zinner was a part of.

LickTheLizzard
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm actually pretty excited for this set. I only ever got to see Bright Eyes once and that was on the tour they did with The Faint that Nick Zinner was a part of.

I've only seen them once as well, on that same tour. Very excited to see them again.

shakermaker113
01-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Doubt it. When I saw Monsters of Folk he squeezed At The Bottom of Everything, The Big Picture, We Are Nowhere And Its Now, Hit The Switch, and Soul Singer In A Session Band in. I imagine at an actual Bright Eyes show we're gonna get some throwbacks. I personally think it'd be fucking sweet to see Let's Not Shit Ourselves at Coachella.

most Bright Eyes tours have consisted of mostly new material and just a handful of older songs. and the older songs he chose would vary massively from one tour to the next.

I think I have seen bright eyes on 6 different tours. I don't remember the details as well as I used to, but between tours there was generally a 2-3 song overlap. so each tour had an almost entirely different setlist. there are no songs that he played at every one of the shows I saw. first day of my life was played at 5 of the 6. aside from that, I don't think I saw any song appear on more than two tours.

having said all that, given that he's taken a break from bright eyes for a while (and wasn't there talk of "one last bright eyes album" - could be the end?), he may feel nostalgic and pull out lots of older stuff. so who knows.

citizenerased
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
The new album's got me on a Bright Eyes' kick. Here are some of the best b-sides for the uninformed:
Trees Get Wheeled Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaDQuvHGsk)
Loose Leaves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee9aUzL733g)
Cartoon Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntdf53sRf8)
Spent On Rainy Days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJOzCC1PPxE)
Re-Invent The Wheel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2AqtrqPtGc) (said to be about Elliott Smith, Jeff Mangum, or one of his close friends. I like thinking it's about Smith)

Leftfieldism
02-03-2011, 03:14 PM
The new album's got me on a Bright Eyes' kick. Here are some of the best b-sides for the uninformed:
Trees Get Wheeled Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaDQuvHGsk)
Loose Leaves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee9aUzL733g)

these songs are fantastic.

I always associated Bright Eyes with emo but my eyes have been opened. Who knew even the instrumentation is on another level!

LickTheLizzard
02-08-2011, 03:50 PM
The Bright Eyes tour starts tonight in Glascow. If anyone finds the setlist, make sure to post it.

estebanet
02-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I' saw Conor while he was playing his mystic valley band songs. I want to hear the classics now...and ladder song haha

citizenerased
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Waiting for the full setlist but so far Bowl of Oranges, Old Soul Song, and The Calendar Hung Itself have been confirmed on lastfm.

LickTheLizzard
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Waiting for the full setlist but so far Bowl of Oranges, Old Soul Song, and The Calendar Has Hung Itself have been confirmed on lastfm.

HOLY SHIT!

EDIT: If those were the only 3 songs he played at Coachella, I would leave happy.

LickTheLizzard
02-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Waiting for the full setlist but so far Bowl of Oranges, Old Soul Song, and The Calendar Hung Itself have been confirmed on lastfm.

What is your source on this? Can you post the link?

EDIT: Im an idiot I didn't read the end of your post.

citizenerased
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.last.fm/event/1797373+Bright+Eyes+at+Oran+Mor+on+8+February+2011
Shell Games
p-_KNx_EKzc

LickTheLizzard
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
thanks

shakermaker113
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM

woah. awesome.

citizenerased
02-09-2011, 07:40 AM
http://oi53.tinypic.com/33orxhk.jpg
Firewall
Haile Selassie
Gold Mine Gutted
Lover I Don't Have To
Four Winds
Bowl Of Oranges
Old Soul Song (For The New World Order)
Shell Games
Approximate Sunlight
Arc Of Time (Time Code)
Jejune Stars
Falling Out Of Love At This Volume
Hot Knives
No One Would Riot For Less
Beginner's Mind
Cartoon Blues
Poison Oak
Nothing Gets Crossed Out
The Calendar Hung Itself...
Encore:
Lua
Padraic My Prince
Road To Joy
One For You, One For Me

So fucking good!! Wish I was going to the Oakland show too now...

zircona1
02-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Nice setlist! (though I wouldn't mind hearing Make A Plan to Love Me, I Must Belong Somewhere, Light Pollution, False Advertising, etc)

They added some more dates yesterday and they're going to be in Kansas City on 4/02!

shakermaker113
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
that's an awesome setlist!

casey
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
that setlist is wonderful!!! thanks for posting. :)

ayalael87
02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
currently listening to "i'm wide awake it's morning"

LickTheLizzard
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Excellent setlist. I wonder what they will cut out for their Coachella set... hopefully some of the new tracks and none of the old ones.

Desaparecidos
02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
That setlist is soooo good, I had hoped they would end with Ladder Song then One for You, One for Me. They are going to be amazing

citizenerased
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Apparently Take It Easy and Something Vague were played tonight(Something Vague twice haha), so it looks like he's varying it up a lot.

I've come to the conclusion that Triple Spiral and Beginner's Mind are my favorite songs on the new album, would love them at Coachella..

edit: Cleanse Song, Triple Spiral, Spring Cleaning were played too

LickTheLizzard
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Off the new one I like Jejune Star best at the moment...but that could change.

Something Vague! I didn't even think this would be a possibility. This may be my favorite Bright Eyes song ever, if they play it at Coachella I might lose it.

Can you imagine Something Vague, Lua, Poison Oak, and Old Soul Song mixed in with some of the new stuff? That would blow my fucking mind.

LickTheLizzard
02-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I purchased this package today. Pretty good deal.
Pick it up here. (http://store.saddle-creek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCOS&Product_Code=LBJ-158-B1)
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/bculppowell/brighteyes.jpg

FEELS
02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I purchased this package today. Pretty good deal.
Pick it up here. (http://store.saddle-creek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCOS&Product_Code=LBJ-158-B1)
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/bculppowell/brighteyes.jpg

wow, that is a very good deal
bought!

firewall
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow, I've never been more ashamed of Bright Eyes fans.
Where's the love for Bright Eyes?
The reason you can't appreciate his new album is because Conor grew up and you didn't.

Casadaga is fantastic!
His new album is fantastic!
"One for you, One for me". Are you kidding me? that song is pure.
Shell Games, and People's Key are some of the saddest goodbye songs. I really feel Conor composed his thoughts and ideas into this album as his last way to express himself as Bright Eyes. Conor obviously put his spirit into this album. If it's not appealing to you then maybe you were never a Bright Eyes fan to begin with...

LickTheLizzard
02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I really havent seen many people complaining about the new album, just a few comments here and there. I didn't like the new one when I first listened to it, but it has grown on me a lot over the past week. It has some really great songs on it.

as for Cassadaga, it has just never felt right to me... I don't know what it is.

citizenerased
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah probably my number 1 set of the weekend, I've never seen a true Bright Eyes concert(only seen the Mystic Valley Band and Monsters of Folk). He's matured a lot since 05, can guarantee it's going to be a sublime performance.

firewall
02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah probably my number 1 set of the weekend, I've never seen a true Bright Eyes concert(only seen the Mystic Valley Band and Monsters of Folk). He's matured a lot since 05, can guarantee it's going to be a sublime performance.

First time I saw Bright Eyes in concert was his Casadaga Tour at the EDIT: Walt Disney Concert Hall. He knocked off every song from the album and still performed I Believe in Symmetry along Road to Joy. It was great. I'd like to see him standing up though. And at a place I could get my chief on.:D

One album I didn't care for was his Mystic Valley Band project. It just went over board. Conor brought it home with The People's Key, if you notice there are small elements in each song that draw back to his past albums.

firewall
02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Excellent setlist. I wonder what they will cut out for their Coachella set... hopefully some of the new tracks and none of the old ones.

Go fuck yourself. If you aren't familiar with those then stop trying to ruin everyone else's experience. He's gotta say goodbye! HE HAS TO PLAY THE OLDIES. Falling Out Of Love At This Volume, fuck yeah!

citizenerased
02-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Go fuck yourself. If you aren't familiar with those then stop trying to ruin everyone else's experience. He's gotta say goodbye! HE HAS TO PLAY THE OLDIES. Falling Out Of Love At This Volume, fuck yeah!
lol he said he wants to hear the old ones.

LickTheLizzard
02-12-2011, 12:29 PM
You misunderstand.

I was referring to what would be cut out of the setlist from his tour at coachella.

I hope they cut out some of the new tracks from their setlist, and I hope they don't cut out any of the old tracks from their setlist.

you follow?

shakermaker113
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
First time I saw Bright Eyes in concert was his Casadaga Tour at the Hollywood Bowl. He knocked off every song from the album and still performed I Believe in Symmetry along Road to Joy. It was great. I'd like to see him standing up though. And at a place I could get my chief on.:D

uh. he only played 5 cassadaga songs at that show. and didn't play road to joy. setlist (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=305300&postcount=5).

citizenerased
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
setlist that I'd like for Coachella (sorry for the lack of I'm Wide Awake):
1. At The Bottom of Everything
2. Jejune Stars
3. Arc of Time
4. Method Acting
5. Beginner's Mind
6. Soul Singer In A Session Band
7. I Believe In Symmetry
8. Triple Spiral
9. The Calendar Hung Itself
10. Cartoon Blues
11. Trees Get Wheeled Away
12. Let's Not Shit Ourselves

LickTheLizzard
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I would hope for a little more Wide Awake, and I think we will get either Bowl of Oranges or Waste of Paint.

firewall
02-12-2011, 03:58 PM
uh. he only played 5 cassadaga songs at that show. and didn't play road to joy. setlist (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=305300&postcount=5).

Uh I was fucking there.
I don't need your internet proof.

That's not even the same show. He played with the LA Philharmonic and they opened up with Clairaudients.

LickTheLizzard
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
setlist > your memory

firewall
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
You misunderstand.

I was referring to what would be cut out of the setlist from his tour at coachella.

I hope they cut out some of the new tracks from their setlist, and I hope they don't cut out any of the old tracks from their setlist.

you follow?

I follow.

Yeah I'd like to hear the whole album. And then some classics.

firewall
02-12-2011, 04:03 PM
setlist > your memory

Yeah, like I said this dude is providing a set list for a completely different show.
I wish Bright Eyes played Bowl of Oranges.

I double checked and it wasn't the Hollywood Bowl. It was the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

shakermaker113
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I double checked and it wasn't the Hollywood Bowl. It was the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

yup. your memory is fucked.

VigoTheCarpathian
02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm happy to see a diverse set. I'm afraid our limited time at coachella will equal a more limited set. any word on if more fox pomona tickets are going to be sold? It seems like it sold out kinda fast.

firewall
02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
yup. your memory is fucked.

Yeah I was a Freshman in High School. Casadaga was a while back, yo.

LickTheLizzard
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Package came a few days ago...
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/bculppowell/brighteyesalbum.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/bculppowell/brighteyesshirt.jpg

bobert
02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
The reason you can't appreciate his new album is because Conor grew up and you didn't.

So being a true fan requires indiscriminately loving any thing an artist releases regardless of the quality or one's own personal preference? I think the new album is the worst work he's ever done. I find it sad that it will be his final album as Bright Eyes and I'm certainly not ashamed of my assessment it. My guess is that you loved The People's Key before you even listened to. When you finally did hear it, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't blame those of us that still try and judge music with a bit of objectivity.

citizenerased
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
fuck p4k

Desaparecidos
02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Package came a few days ago...

Yeah it's a sweet package, plastered my laptop with Bright Eyes stickers now. I have heard only great things about the Europe shows for The People's Key so far, so I have decided I will take a thousand downers if I can't see him/them at Coachella.

firewall
02-19-2011, 03:48 PM
So being a true fan requires indiscriminately loving any thing an artist releases regardless of the quality or one's own personal preference? I think the new album is the worst work he's ever done. I find it sad that it will be his final album as Bright Eyes and I'm certainly not ashamed of my assessment it. My guess is that you loved The People's Key before you even listened to. When you finally did hear it, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't blame those of us that still try and judge music with a bit of objectivity.

Actually I was worried it'd be anything like Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band. But you're right I would love it no matter what. I guess it was just that.

It's been fun hearing his music grow up.

VigoTheCarpathian
02-19-2011, 06:58 PM

Your opinion gives me hope that the album will end up as one of my favorites.

bobert
02-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Your opinion gives me hope that the album will end up as one of my favorites.

Whatever works for you, Vigo. I wanted to like the album. I really did. But unfortunately it's a lot like Ghost Busters II: not very good.

firewall
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Whatever works for you, Vigo. I wanted to like the album. I really did. But unfortunately it's a lot like Ghost Busters II: not very good.

To each his own.

Perhaps you can't handle it.

humanoid
02-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm still deciding how I feel about the Peoples' Key...

I can't tell for sure yet.

concertgoer
02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I like it

LickTheLizzard
02-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I like it, but it took a few listens. I'm still not a big fan of the album lyrically, but overall I still enjoy listening to it.

Devin the Dude
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm still deciding how I feel about the Peoples' Key...

I can't tell for sure yet.

Come on. It's got some real Bright Eyes gems on it. Haile Selassie, Triple Spiral, Beginner's Mind. These are classics already to me. A little poppier, but at least it's not Cassadaga.

That setlist means I'm gonna have to go to the Fox show. And it's sold out. Shoot.

Desaparecidos
02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I like it, but it took a few listens. I'm still not a big fan of the album lyrically, but overall I still enjoy listening to it.

Don't enjoy it lyrically? This surprises me, I think the lyrics on this album are fucking brilliant. His writing style on this album is so free and genuine, I can't get over it.

I guess I can kind of understand why some of you don't like the album, but I think the only problem with it is that it's only 12 songs (including Singularity and In the Real World). I can't stop listening to it, it's so easy to connect with the lyrics, and I'm like obsessed with the themes of the album too...

LickTheLizzard
02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Don't enjoy it lyrically? This surprises me, I think the lyrics on this album are fucking brilliant. His writing style on this album is so free and genuine, I can't get over it.

For Example:
One for the righteous, one for the ruling class
One for the tyrant, one for the slaughtered lamb
One for the struggle, one for the lasting peace
One for you, and one for me

One for the Führer, one for his child bride
One for the wedding, one for the suicide
One for the bunker, one for the broadcast booth
One for me, now one for you

How did we get so far away from us?
How did we get so far away?

One for the people, one for the parliament
One for the weary, one for the malcontent
One for the master, one for the protégé

One for the bread lines, one for the billionaires
One for the missing, one for the barely there
One for the certain, one for the real confused
One for me, okay, now one for you

Now that we've come so far away from us
Now that we've come too far to say
You and me, you and me that is an awful lie
You and me, you and me that is an awful lie
It's I and I
It's I and I
It's I and I
It's I and I

I know this is only just one song off the album, but I think it illustrates my point. They just seem like empty words, there just isn't anything personal about it. This is just my opinion though, like I said I actually really enjoy the album, I just don't feel like Conor put all of himself into the lyrics on this one.

Desaparecidos
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
For Example:
[I]One for the righteous, one for the ruling class
One for the tyrant, one for the slaughtered lamb
One for the struggle, one for the lasting peace

I know this is only just one song off the album, but I think it illustrates my point. They just seem like empty words, there just isn't anything personal about it. This is just my opinion though, like I said I actually really enjoy the album, I just don't feel like Conor put all of himself into the lyrics on this one.

One for You one for Me is a gem, nothing less, I can't believe that was your example haha. Anyway this is definitely anything but empty. Like I said you just have to find meaning in it, it's all about humanity and seeing everyone as equals and if it feels empty because of the repetition that's just the way he found to leave the interpretation of what is being divvied up open to anything. And the I and I bit is a rastafarian saying for "you and me."

I dunno.... I think it's the opposite of empty

citizenerased
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I really like the at peace spiritual lyrics.

And for the record, Conor has said a couple times this isn't the official end of Bright Eyes. Just read it again in the new Rolling Stone.

LickTheLizzard
02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
We are both big Bright Eyes fans, and we both like the album... so it seems silly to argue. I like One For You, One For Me, the lyrics just don't do it for me, IMO that is a problem throughout the album. I think there are some songs, like Ladder Song, that are well written... but some of the others just fall flat. That's all I got to say on it, I'll shut up now.

EDIT: and let me reiterate... I like the album.

Desaparecidos
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
We are both big Bright Eyes fans, and we both like the album... so it seems silly to argue. I like One For You, One For Me, the lyrics just don't do it for me, IMO that is a problem throughout the album. I think there are some songs, like Ladder Song, that are well written... but some of the others just fall flat. That's all I got to say on it, I'll shut up now.

EDIT: and let me reiterate... I like the album.

I thought we were just discussing the meaning of the song I didn't consider that arguing? But I understand you like the album, I never said you didn't I was just stating why I personally believe the lyrical thread in the album is ingeniously crafted. I just have found so much depth in every song that I had to give my two cents...

LickTheLizzard
02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Do you think it is better lyrically than older albums?

Desaparecidos
02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Do you think it is better lyrically than older albums?

I really can't say. I'm not just saying this to be like "oh I am such a fan I love them all sooooo much" but I really am so obsessed with all of them that I literally am incapable of holding any one album above the rest. The lyrics on this album delineate so many rogue thoughts I have been thinking especially the past year, so I guess it just really hits home for me. (Then again what work has Conor done that doesn't.... ha)

LickTheLizzard
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Bright Eyes on Letterman tonight. Set your DVRs folks.

citizenerased
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Bright Eyes on Letterman tonight. Set your DVRs folks.
Nice! I have a feeling it's gonna be Shell Games.

LickTheLizzard
02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
He could throw us a curveball.

tral!
02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
A Reno owned band?

moomoo
02-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Casadaga is fantastic!
His new album is fantastic!
"One for you, One for me". Are you kidding me? that song is pure.
Shell Games, and People's Key are some of the saddest goodbye songs. I really feel Conor composed his thoughts and ideas into this album as his last way to express himself as Bright Eyes. Conor obviously put his spirit into this album. If it's not appealing to you then maybe you were never a Bright Eyes fan to begin with...

Followed by:

Uh I was fucking there.
I don't need your internet proof.

That's not even the same show. He played with the LA Philharmonic and they opened up with Clairaudients.

Ugh, you are such an intolerable cunt. You're the reason why people hate Bright Eyes. It has nothing to do with his music and everything to do with your pimply self being locked inside your manga lair while trying to make yourself Conor's prized, number one, cock-jockey on the internet. No matter how many times you pull that glossy headshot of him out of your crusty sock draw and blow your Mountain Dew-flavored load of dude stew onto it, he will never love you. Just like your mother you oily, weeaboo, piece of shit.

Casadaga sucks, Fooly Cooly sucks, The People's Key sucks.

At least you're not oblivious to the point where you thought the Mystic River Valley Thing was good.

Devin the Dude
02-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Take that back kid.

jamesc2929
02-25-2011, 03:58 AM
I wasn't that much of a fan prior to this album. But after a few listens Bright Eyes will now be a set I won't miss! I'm now sorry I missed them at previous Coachellas when others on the board have stated they were so good.

bobert
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Z3eaO8ZWo0k&feature=player_embedded

Ok, so I kinda sort of enjoyed this song in a live context. This is giving me hope that I'll be able to endure the new materiel during his set. I've officially upped my assessment of The People's Key from terrible to mildly disappointing.

LickTheLizzard
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice! I have a feeling it's gonna be Shell Games.

He could throw us a curveball.

I'm glad I turned out to be right. Jejune Stars is one of my favorites off the new album, and I liked it live a lot more than I liked it on the album

Desaparecidos
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Casadaga sucks, Fooly Cooly sucks, The People's Key sucks.

At least you're not oblivious to the point where you thought the Mystic River Valley Thing was good.

LOL. Is it that big a deal if we enjoy the music he makes? The detail in which you wrote the sock-drawer anecdote implies that you have much experience in doing exactly what you said over some far inferior musician than Conor. Guess what, I fucking love the People's Key, I really enjoyed the Mystic Valley Band stunt, and enjoy Cassadaga as well. You can cry about it all you like but you are sitting at your computer bitching on an internet forum and Conor is a millionaire living his life to the fullest on his ability to make music that "sucks," according to you.

And they fucking rocked it on Letterman! It sucked I had to watch a full episode of Letterman to finally see them play, because Letterman is debatably functionally retarded, but Jejune Stars is one of my favorites on the new album and his performance reminded me of 24 y/o Conor all over again. Loved every second of it.

citizenerased
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Glad he played Jejune. Was that girl's mic and keyboard even audible? I could only barely hear Nate's synth.

moomoo
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
LOL. Is it that big a deal if we enjoy the music he makes? The detail in which you wrote the sock-drawer anecdote implies that you have much experience in doing exactly what you said over some far inferior musician than Conor. Guess what, I fucking love the People's Key, I really enjoyed the Mystic Valley Band stunt, and enjoy Cassadaga as well. You can cry about it all you like but you are sitting at your computer bitching on an internet forum and Conor is a millionaire living his life to the fullest on his ability to make music that "sucks," according to you.

Holy hell shut the fuck up. You are as bad as dick-sucker as the other guy. For the record, I love Casadaga and Fooly Cooly is a pretty good show-- I am just trying to piss the other guy off because he is as equally as stupid and annoying as you. I get it, you love Conor Oberst and apparently you know him so well that he tells you he is joyously living his millionaire life to the fullest. Next time you and Conor meet up for a tearful, drunk, coked-out, circle jerk, please ask him two things for me: what was he thinking when he started Mystic Valley River? and how much drugs does he have to do to tolerate his shit head fans ?

Devin the Dude
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Mystic Valley Band was actually a product of Conor's "sobering up" period that brought about that shitpile Cassadaga. I am really glad to see him making drunken pop tunes again (on The People's Key). I was really disappointed in him. And he knows it. Cuz we talk all the time.

Desaparecidos
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Holy hell shut the fuck up. You are as bad as dick-sucker as the other guy. For the record, I love Casadaga and Fooly Cooly is a pretty good show-- I am just trying to piss the other guy off because he is as equally as stupid and annoying as you. I get it, you love Conor Oberst and apparently you know him so well that he tells you he is joyously living his millionaire life to the fullest. Next time you and Conor meet up for a tearful, drunk, coked-out, circle jerk, please ask him two things for me: what was he thinking when he started Mystic Valley River? and how much drugs does he have to do to tolerate his shit head fans ?

Whatever floats your boat amigo. If you don't like Bright Eyes and Conor save me the breath it takes to laugh at your pathetic attempts to be funny and quit crying on this thread, simple as that. And for the record what Conor was thinking when he started the Mystic Valley Band was that Mike Mogis needed to spend some time with his family and Conor had his own material he was already working on, and didn't feel right publishing music under the Bright Eyes moniker without Mike, so he started a new group. Yay for not being an abject retard and knowing how to use a search engine. As for the drugs I think he takes whatever amount it takes to be successful and not have to get off by crying on an internet forum about things he doesn't like.

Cheddar's Cousin
02-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I like Cassadaga!

William Hurt/Heal
02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Cassadaga -2

citizenerased
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Eep, SXSW videos:
I want Bright Eyes fireworks at Coachella...
GMwmHKXOG6Y
q_5olzqH4cI
AqAly6LEo7M
Why the hell am I not seeing him at the Fox this week?!

loser999
04-17-2011, 01:21 AM
such a good set list. thought they sounded really good this year.

Memorial_07
04-17-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm sure there's a few people in the crowd who are pissed he didn't play Lua. Who cares, he played Road to Joy. Best song of that set.

Harrisment
04-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I thought the set was excellent! Loved the version of 'Lover I Don't Have to Love.'

Cheddar's Cousin
04-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Good times

grichsgang
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Solid set. Nothing spectacular.

joppy-slow
04-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Pleasantly surprised with BrightEyes last night (watching on livecast). Chatty cathy (connor) seemed to be having a good time and the band sounded hella good.

TomAz
04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I thought they were really good. Conor seemed more focused than normal.

MUSTACHEFACTORY
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Bright eyes was great last night. I ran into conor oberst at one day as a lion and got a big hug! It was awesome

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
So this was spectacular. Approximate Sunlight was such a trip, I was laughing because it was blowing my mind so much.

God I love Coachella's speakers.

LickTheLizzard
04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I loved the set! and I love this thread... it has been one of my favorites leading up to the festival. i have 4 videos, Old Soul Song, We Are Nowhere and It's Now, Bowl of Oranges, and Lover I Don't Have to Love. I will post them all here when I have them uploaded.

LickTheLizzard
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
1 of 4
KwQls7hbF28

LickTheLizzard
04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
2 of 4
YNQ5jKZPP_I

Sexecutioner
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
great set. was the perfect band to sit down, smoke a joint, and enjoy the sunset with. sucks i had to leave a bit early, but really enjoyed the first half.

anybody have a setlist? they didnt play "another travelin song" did they? if i missed that ill never forgive my friends for making me leave.

citizenerased
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
This site has the full webcast:
http://bedwettingcosmonaut.com/video-bright-eyes-at-coachella-full-set/

25:30 for the otherwise impossible to find Approximate Sunlight. I loved how it was one of the first songs of the fest to use those thin cube lights, looked great.
"alright this next one's for any time travelers we have in the audience tonight. I know you're out there!"

irthesteve
04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Great setlist, great show, love me some Conor

iamellyn
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I can't believe I didn't see them in Pomona too. They were amazing.

Desaparecidos
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Such a glorious set, my favorite of the weekend definitely. Was pumped he played four winds, I've been waiting to hear that live since I first heard it. And I've been tied up on the prospect of the possibility of people I know being time travelers now since he called them out haha.

Leftfieldism
05-19-2011, 12:56 PM
This site has the full video webcast:
Nice find, such a beautiful sunset. Love the part during Old Soul Song where it shows the people with glow wands swaying them back and forth.

ShyGuy75
05-19-2011, 03:37 PM
This site has the full webcast:

[/I]

shooting star, swaying palm tree!

citizenerased
02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Sorry for bumping this, but does anyone know if that full stream of the 2011 set is still available anywhere? Previous link doesn't wok anymore, and it's something I'd love to watch again.