PDA

View Full Version : What was up with all the Indian Feathers? (and other random stuff)

SUSHIXXXXX
04-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Why was every other douchebag at this year's festival dressed in a colorful Native American Feather Headress with neon paint all over their bodies? Is that some kind of wannabe MGMT fanboy thing or something?

Other random questions:

-What's up with all the cig smokers? I thought California was pretty anti-smoking, until I started going to Coachella. It's like the frikkin 50's all over again. I got the "Coachalla Flu" because of this sheit.

-When LCD Soundsystem ran out of time and could only play 1 of the 3 remaining songs on their setlist, what made them think that the crowd would rather hear "Yeah" than "Daft Punk is Playing at my House"?

-Am I the only one bitching that Gil Scot Heron didn't do any of his anti-whitey poetry like "Whitey on the Moon" and "The Revolution Will Not be Televised"? Sure it would have been awkward since the crowd was 99.99% white, but what the hell.

-Why doesn't GV just expand the damn field already to accommodate the massive crowds? I'm sure there's plenty of extra adjacent space they could "rent" or whatever.

-Why couldnt GV have made it easier on all of us by putting Thom Yorke before Gorillaz on the main stage? Pavement should have been in Yorke's spot and vice versa.

-Why did I not heed all the warnings on this board that Sly Stone would flake and lose my Phoenix spot to go to his stage?

ADrunkPoet
04-20-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/seinfeld.jpg

What's the deal with Coachella? What's the deal with all these people?

dorkfish
04-20-2010, 05:13 PM
I saw Do Lab people with boxes of feathers making head bands for people on some wheeled table, so I'd imagine that's where the ignorantly racist Navaglo kiddies were getting their Injun-wares from.

HandBanana
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
The Native thing is at least back to Coachella 2007.

"Yeah" was one of the weekends best performances.

cormaic
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
-When LCD Soundsystem ran out of time and could only play 1 of the 3 remaining songs on their setlist, what made them think that the crowd would rather hear "Yeah" than "Daft Punk is Playing at my House"?

I think it was because 'Yeah' fucking slayed everyone's faces in a way that Daft Punk is Playing at my House could never ever do, and because it's a way better song

Bud Luster
04-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Actually, the Indian thing goes back to Aussie and Euro fests. They dress up like injuns at those fests a lot. Specially in the Netherlands. Weird.

Gribbz
04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I saw a bunch of racist Fever Ray fans doing "black face."

Radiohead
04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I was wondering about the ingin feathers myself.

As for "Yeah," what is there to explain? They played it because it kicked ass.

Neighborhood Creep
04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
is there anything you DID enjoy?

i always wonder why people give a shit who is wearing what at a festival.

mmblack
04-20-2010, 05:20 PM

this question completely invalidates any other question you may have asked. because ...

I think it was because 'Yeah' fucking slayed everyone's faces in a way that Daft Punk is Playing at my House could never ever do, and because it's a way better song

thenoiboi
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

+1.

canexplain
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Here's a random: Did anyone see any fights with the problems there were? I never saw even close to a fight there before ...

thenoiboi
04-20-2010, 05:23 PM

i think i'm going to link to this post in every "blah blah blah fucking hipsters" or "wahhhh coachella was too herp derp" thread.

Neighborhood Creep
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
^^^ cant blame you. i know i'll probably get the "why do you care what people post in a thread" comment soon, but fuck, who honestly cares if someone is wearing Ray Bans or feathers. Enjoy yourselves and quit worrying about people's looks.

Courtney
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM

They're probably darn tired of playing Daft Punk, considering it was their one big song for quite a while.

-Why doesn't GV just expand the damn field already to accommodate the massive crowds? I'm sure there's plenty of extra adjacent space they could "rent" or whatever.

I'm pretty sure I read that they actually did use additional space this year compared to last year.

blackchango
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Its called having a good time at a music festival the best way you see fit. I hope everyone had the best experience this weekend that they could !

gruvlicius
04-20-2010, 05:36 PM
I noticed all the douche types wearing bandanna headbands. I had never actually seen that look in person, only on Tool Academy and Jersey Shore. And the girls all had on those denim short shorts. Where were the cute sundresses?

Mucho Maas
04-20-2010, 05:36 PM
I was hoping to catch LCD's "daft punk" as well, but come on, man, "yeah" was one of the highlights of the entire fucking weekend.

SUSHIXXXXX
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Actually YES. Here are the things I most enjoyed about this year:

-Faith No More's awesome and unappreciated reunion.
-Being on the rail for PIL and being among a very small crowd against Jay-Z.
-All the free gum from that one tent.
-Skanking to the Special's "Monkey Man"
-Blatantly disregarding where the parking idiots tell you to park, skidding off and parking right next to the exit so that we could leave the parking lot in under a minute at the end of the night.
-Thom Yorke and Flea
-Owen Pallet's laugh and him asking his guitarist if he's ever been "cornholed"
-When I was about to literally die from allergic exhaustion, finding someone who lent me their inhaler and saved the day.

patriotsftbll786
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Actually YES. Here are the things I most enjoyed about this year:

-Faith No More's awesome and unappreciated reunion.
-Being on the rail for PIL and being among a very small crowd against Jay-Z.
-All the free gum from that one tent.
-Skanking to the Special's "Monkey Man"
-Blatantly disregarding where the parking idiots tell you to park, skidding off and parking right next to the exit so that we could leave the parking lot in under a minute at the end of the night.
-Thom Yorke and Flea
-Owen Pallet's laugh and him asking his guitarist if he's ever been "cornholed"
-When I was about to literally die from allergic exhaustion, finding someone who lent me their inhaler and saved the day.

That only accounts for about 4 or 5 hours.
I assume you spent the rest of the time bitching about feathers and stuff?

moomoo
04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Owen Pallet's laugh was fucking so dorkishly adorable.

And 'Yeah' destroyed the place.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAHYEAHYEAH YEAH YEAH

alisonnn
04-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I think the whole concern over what people are wearing completely contradicts the spirit of coachella, people are simply expressing themselves in an environment where that's encouraged. stop judging people, you're. ruining. it.

and yeah was amazing, perfect really. YEAHHH

and owen pallet's laugh was so great and he didn't even mind us laughing at it, adorable. yay for the tall skinny f@ggot stage!

emllik
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
So I'm the only one who found it annoying to see every other dark haired female wearing a dumb ass looking hat with a band around it? Then to find out they were selling this crap at a stand to these god damned animals?! One reason you have to love a blonde girl... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO CATCH HER WEARING A STUPID FUCKING HAT THAT SAYS "This is my scene! Recognize me NOW!" mmmmmmmm blondes..... did I already say how much I like blonde girls? The Indian Headdress thing was going on Thursday night in the campgrounds as well. What else.......... all the Dare shirts made me feel like wearing a shirt with a huge pot leaf on it (though I liked the idea of wearing a Dare shirt so no one would try hitting me up for that blunt tucked in my pocket, and so it was). Next year if I'm dumb enough to attend, I'll wear a shirt that says, "I'm not going to another festival that doesn't support naked women." which is to say I didn't see a single tit all weekend. Sure, I didn't try coaxing young maidens into my tent at night, as I was too fucking exhausted after walking twenty blocks from my tent to the venue and back a few too many times... but still. I'm not asking for the stench that is woodstock, just makes me wonder when you have 75,000+ people afraid of public nudity that they may as well have paid for! I mean, it's not like a topless woman is on the same level as the Tazed Wizard... right? Right?!?!?! You'd better agree, God be damned.

anonimouse
04-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Here's a random: Did anyone see any fights with the problems there were? I never saw even close to a fight there before ...

i saw what was just one wrong word/look/push away from a fight in the sahara one afternoon. it was a "lets get the fuck away from these guys NOW" type situation.

turned out they were bros

a few "dawg" and "come on bro"'s later and they were smoking weed and fist pumping their little hearts out. it was adorable

BillyPilgrim
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Being 1 of the 2 native americans that attended the festival, (the other being my brother) I wasnt offended by the headdresses but instead was wondering when the fuck did that become cool? I was also wondering if I wore one now, would it be ironic?

emllik
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I considered murdering the three idiots on ecstacy in sweat soaked clothing with filthy hair who couldn't stop bouncing around with no music even playing as we waited near the front and center for Les Claypool to show, who couldn't stop talking through his entire performance. I like to think Les saw what was going down, and appreciated me not interrupting his set by slaughtering some e-tards looking for a quick death by someone who paid way the fuck too much to stand around with people who would be arrested for their stupidity in public.... but hey, what the fuck do I know, right?

dorkfish
04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
While waiting in the 3 1/2 hour line to get my wristband, two guys behind me got into a fight when the other tried to lean into to get his ticket scanned.

NoMeansYes2010
04-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I noticed all the douche types wearing bandanna headbands. I had never actually seen that look in person, only on Tool Academy and Jersey Shore. And the girls all had on those denim short shorts. Where were the cute sundresses?

Who cares what people are wearing? I wore an orange bandana all weekend and because of it my friends could find me in crowds easier and it kept my hair out of my face.

If it wasn't for my bandana my friend would have never seen me after Hot Chip and we wouldn't have met up for Muse. It's a music festival, wear whatever the fuck you want and get over yourself if you have a problem with it.

stephen22
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
rowd would rather hear "Yeah" than "Daft Punk is Playing at my House"?

-Why did I not heed all the warnings on this board that Sly Stone would flake and lose my Phoenix spot to go to his stage?

You have indicated that you went to Phoenix. Who is the douche bag now?

zikade
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Every half naked girl became inexplicably 20x hotter to me if she was wearing a feather so I don't know why anyone would complain about that.

SUSHIXXXXX
04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
You have indicated that you went to Phoenix. Who is the douche bag now?

Well played old bean. Actually, it's not so much that I really cared about Phoenix, I just don't like to be all the way in the back for any set, and there really wasnt much else going on at the time. But either way, I don't consider Phoenix to be a douchey band to be into, theyre alright. At least I wasnt talking about Coheed, MGMT, Muse, Tiesto, Deadmau5, Guetta, etc. I think the fact that I attended the sets of FNM, PIL, Specials, Sly Stone (attempt) and Gil Scott Heron speaks for my non-douchery musical taste. And no, I'm not ashamed to admit that I like Vampire Weekend.

SUSHIXXXXX
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
this question completely invalidates any other question you may have asked. because ...

This was my first time seeing LCD and I'm going to assume it was 80% of the rest of the people's first time seeing them as well. "Daft Punk" was their first song I ever heard so yeah it would have been nice to hear that, and I think the other first timers would have appreciated it as well.

krisskross
04-20-2010, 08:13 PM
i never liked "daft punk". "yeah" was incredible. people were having a blast. watching everyone having a blast dancing to that song is one of my best memories of 2010 coachella.

unit300021
04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
yeah would have been the perfect way to end his set, but then he decided to play another song and end with New York I Love you, which was still cool but should have been before Yeah. Either way both songs are better then Daft Punk Playing My House... I am happy he did not play it just to stick it to the people who only know that song from him and only wanted to hear that, which was a lot, at least in the area I was at.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
MGMT, that's what happened.

NoMeansYes2010
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Well played old bean. Actually, it's not so much that I really cared about Phoenix, I just don't like to be all the way in the back for any set, and there really wasnt much else going on at the time. But either way, I don't consider Phoenix to be a douchey band to be into, theyre alright. At least I wasnt talking about Coheed, MGMT, Muse, Tiesto, Deadmau5, Guetta, etc. I think the fact that I attended the sets of FNM, PIL, Specials, Sly Stone (attempt) and Gil Scott Heron speaks for my non-douchery musical taste. And no, I'm not ashamed to admit that I like Vampire Weekend.

How you include Muse in that list of music that douchebags listen to is beyond me. The show they put on this weekend was even appreciated by my friends who don't care for their music.

Suffacated
04-20-2010, 08:58 PM

I saw none, I started none and I finished none.
All in all, a great weekend!

BlackSwan
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM

I saw a fight on Saturday night on my way to the Sahara. It was right around the entrance to the food area across from the Mojave.

There were people holding down two people who appeared to have just been fighting, and there was someone else with a foot on another person's back.

rock2843
04-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Yes. One of the OZ's I was camping next to was hitting on this dude's girlfriend and got punched in the face. he then proceeded to laugh and say "is that all you got", not really a fight but the closest thing to it I saw.