PDA

View Full Version : Street Scene 07

PassiveTheory
03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Either I'm the only So Cal./San Diego person on the board anticipating Street Scene, or there just really hasn't been any news on the 2 day festival, but seriously... I'm still irritated over missing the Pixies 2 years ago when they played it... And last year's Street Scene was nothing to boast about (it was Coachella-lite... with a half-dozen other bands beyond their prime tacked on) so, any guesses towards who will be playing this year?

I'm kinda hoping that Gnarls Barkley play it, since it's one of the festivals they missed last year, but I'm getting the vibe that at least one of the Coachella headliners will play Street Scene, and since Rage would probably consider hitting LA a higher priority, and since Bjork is just... Well... Bjork... I think the Chilis will headline the first night of Street Scene (which they didnt do last year because they were headlining Lollapalooza). But of course, this is just baseless speculation on my behalf, what do you think?

private,eyes
03-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Move Street Scene back to the streets and out of the Qualcomm parking lot and I'm there.

PassiveTheory
03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Do you think that the Gaslamp (or where I think it was being held before) has the capacity for another Street Scene?

private,eyes
03-01-2007, 08:57 AM
They would need more space than just the Gaslamp alone. SD is a big city though, I'm sure there are several palces to put on a show like Street Scene. Maybe Balboa Park.

PassiveTheory
03-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Eh... Possibly, unfortunately, as big as Balboa Park strikes me, there just doesnt seem to be anywhere on the Park itself where there's a huge enough amount of space to mount a stage without placing a stage right smack in the middle of Park Blvd. and closing down the street itself for a few days.

private,eyes
03-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Hospitality Park?

PassiveTheory
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I know that seems logical, but it seems along longer than it is wider, and I think that'd be a considerable problem...

I think the Parking Lot location really pushed alot of people away from the event, so hopefully a new venue choice will bring alot of people back, that and some vintage acts like... possibly the Smashing Pumpkins. ^^;

private,eyes
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Lots of albums coming out around that time. Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, White Stripes, NIN, Kings of Leon, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, Interpol to name a few.

skavenbrew
03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear you missed out on the Pixies, they were absolutely incredible, worth the price of the entire weekend by themselves. I'm not a big fan of their new location at Qualcomm, but what can I do? I still have to go every year......

summerkid
03-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Considering Street Scene seems to like bringing back bands I wouldn't be surprised to see The White Stripes headline a day, new cd coming out "as soon as possible". I'll put money down on NIN headlining the other day though and if that's the case they'll probably bring back QOTSA and have them play before NIN. Last year was a stinker of a fest, but 2005 was great so we'll see what they do this year.

private,eyes
03-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I got yelled at by a guy who didn't want me to clap durring the White Stripes set. He said that singing along was ok just not clapping. Needless to say I didn't stop and all my freinds berated him untill he left.

summerkid
03-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I bet Stephen Marley will be there, San Diego's big on raggae and Street Scene needs a Raggae act every year I bet this will be the one.

amyzzz
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I got yelled at by a guy who didn't want me to clap durring the White Stripes set. He said that singing along was ok just not clapping. Needless to say I didn't stop and all my freinds berated him untill he left.
That's odd. I was clapping my ass off during their Street Scene set--during the songs. I really like the rhythm, and I had to clap. They did a REALLY good set at Street Scene, even if the crowd wasn't as into it.

PassiveTheory
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
the strange-yet-sensible-in-a-marketing-sense-thing is that details for Street Scene arent usually announced until just after Coachella wraps. =/

york707
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Pearl Jam is headlining Lollapalooza.

york707
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Apparently that had been discused in other forums. Forums I don't go to.

suprefan
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Rage can headline a day since they have no shows planned and I find it odd. Also I thought about Lolla also and Rage could p[lay there since the midwest is getting RATM love.... And yeah I might snag up those $30 pre sale tix though just in case....

TomAz
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Either I'm the only So Cal./San Diego person on the board anticipating Street Scene,

does the street run through your room?

PassiveTheory
03-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I CAN ESCAPE THIS ROOM IF A DAMN WELL WANTED TO...

The ninjas holding me hostage have NOTHING to do with my decision to stay in my room with my small door...

Maybe Radiohead will headline...

elChurro
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
they need to change the name to Parking Lot Scene. ...never again.

summerkid
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
they need to change the name to Parking Lot Scene. ...never again.

They need to change the dates so they dont have to compete with Lolla for bands, the parking lot thing doesn't bother me that much.

menikmati
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
yeah why the hell would they wanna schedule against lolla?

fortydollarsworthofmeat
03-02-2007, 11:19 PM
i kinda hate when people clap during shows. they're NEVER clapping at the right rhythm, and everyone is all jangly clappity clap clap ruining the song.

suprefan
03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
yeah why the hell would they wanna schedule against lolla?

No clue, and it used to be later in August too. I have no idea why the bumped it up. Festivals should not have to compete that much for bands. I mean if Street Scene is a week after Lolla it works better into bands schedules for a tour heading out west. But noooo, they think they can keep up with the big boys. First thing is to fix how the venue is set up.

summerkid
03-02-2007, 11:43 PM
is there even going to be a street scene? I haven't heard a thing about it and I know they had a disspointing turn out last year, but it may have been offset by the increase in ticket prices and they got money back from MCR because they didn't show up...hmmm wouldn't be that surprised if they show up.

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
MCR?

E

summerkid
03-02-2007, 11:59 PM
My Chemical Romance.

suprefan
03-03-2007, 12:04 AM
There will be a Street Scene, kind of no way there isnt. It would be a major thing if it was cancelled and stuff since its been going on for years longer than Coachella has.

DeltaSigChi4
03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Heh.

E

amdux
03-03-2007, 01:13 AM
they discussed maybe moving it to Balboa Park, but area residents nixed the idea (all them "damn kids and their sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll")

but yeah, it was a lot better downtown....all that pavement at qualcomm is no fun......maybe fiesta island?

suprefan
03-03-2007, 01:14 AM
They should have one stage at Embarcadero right on the water that would be sweet...

Boourns
03-03-2007, 01:33 AM
They should have one stage at Embarcadero right on the water that would be sweet...

Radiohead + tiny peninsula in the San Diego Bay = HEAVEN

xbnmx
03-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Fiesta Island would be perfect, now we just need a new name.

ThomThom
03-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah the Qualcomm parking lot idea blew really hard...I bet their definitely going to have Interpol and Bloc Party back this year for sure, I highly doubt Radiohead because it seems as if their album might get pushed back to fall especially due to the fact that they arent even signed to a label yet. Would it be to much to ask for if they had street scene at the embarcadero?

That70sdesperado
03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
The Embarcadero idea is amazing. They have enough space there for sure, though parking will obviously be a problem. Plus, it will bring the downtown vibe back, and it would be right on the frickin ocean!

sddoctor
03-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Radiohead + tiny peninsula in the San Diego Bay = HEAVEN

I was there the first nightof their two day stint and it was amazing. I loved the venue. I missed Deerhoof though...

summerkid
04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
http://www.street-scene.com/

All good news here. Moved dates so it doesn't conflict with lolla. Its now september 22nd and 23rd and its moved locations from the parking lot to the del mar fairgrounds and apparently its now produced by live nation.

Billy
04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I just saw it is being moved to the fair grounds at Del Mar racetrack...piss poor bastards they need to change the name to stand in horse shit scene seeing as there is no god damn street left in the whole thing. For fucks sake

summerkid
04-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I just saw it is being moved to the fair grounds at Del Mar racetrack...piss poor bastards they need to change the name to stand in horse shit scene seeing as there is no god damn street left in the whole thing. For fucks sake

c'mon its better than a parking lot this is just one step in the right direction they really did try to get into balboa park, but weren't allowed.

summerkid
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I still think the white stripes and NIN will be there.

luckyface
04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I f-ing love the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. I don't know how they will accommodate a huge crowd, though.

theburiedlife
04-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Do you think balboa park has the ability to host any concert like street scene? The park doesn't strike me as a place that would host a fest like that.

PassiveTheory
04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Me neither... Still, the Fairgrounds? That's great for a show like Cake, but seriously... It's going to be smelly, dusty, and cramped. x.x

SubBass49
04-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Del Mar Fairgrounds would suck balls for a festival like Street Scene...put it back downtown on the STREET like it belongs, or stop calling it STREET Scene. Argh...so lame. That'd be like having the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival at the NOS events center in San Bernardino...it just wouldn't be the same...