PDA

View Full Version : Do people not understand 75,000 people

MacDizzle
04-20-2010, 12:23 PM
is almost like a little city.

quit complaining about not being able to get out of traffic or this or that was bad, you didn't have to come.

sorry that there are not 500 lanes of traffic, to me it sounds like this is all your first coachella or event if anything. did you not know there was going to be traffic or something?

theres going to be alot of waiting get use to it, i waited and i still saw everything i wanted to and partied all i wanted to and did everything i wanted to do, theres no complains.

except for mgmt not playing kids....booo...

miscorrections
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Plenty of us bought tickets well in advance of the new numbers announcement.

frozen pilgrim
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
go die.

runaway_dreamer
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM

quit complaining about not being able to get out of traffic or this or that was bad, you didn't have to come.

sorry that there are not 500 lanes of traffic, to me it sounds like this is all your first coachella or event if anything. did you not know there was going to be traffic or something?

theres going to be alot of waiting get use to it, i waited and i still saw everything i wanted to and partied all i wanted to and did everything i wanted to do, theres no complains.

This was your first Coachella, wasn't it?

humanoid
04-20-2010, 12:30 PM

I've been to every single Coachella since 1999 and it has never been like this...don't pretend it has

captncrzy
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
eat a dick

Vic Viper
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM

no. wrong. sorry.

this year was a clusterfuck of people. i'm really looking at offsite or non-camping options for next year because i'm going to need a small slice of civilization to hold onto after dealing with a crowd of that size.

gnarbucketz
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
no. wrong. sorry.

this year was a clusterfuck of people. i'm really looking at offsite or non-camping options for next year because i'm going to need a small slice of civilization to hold onto after dealing with a crowd of that size.

Staying off-site was nice refuge indeed. We were lucky enough to have a friend with a super cool grandma willing to put us up at her house in Trilogy golf community, La Quinta (/gloat). But I still felt a pang of longing/envy when we'd walk out past the campground.

I don't have a reference point since this was my first Coachella, but it was still 3 of the best days of my life. Mostly cool people, good friends, amazing music, etc. And I kinda got a kick out of observing the human teeming behavior, and enjoyed playing "get somewhere quickly without colliding with or pushing people, regardless of mental state."

To all the whiners: thanks for having me. See ya next year!

algunz
04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
It was the same show if not better, but there were just too many people. Anybody who has been a long time lover of Coachella would understand that fact.

flowbee
04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
More people = more fun :)

Fadakar
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Agreed^, even though this year was my first, it definitely encouraged me to save up for a hotel next year, my camping neighbors were loud/annoying/boring as fuck, and it was uncomfortably hot waking up in the tent.

Oh and MGMT sucked fat dick, maybe I'm just a douchebag but when you have to tell your fans to buy your album inbetween songs you fucked up.

C DUB YA
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
If you have been to Coachella before, more people, equals less fun I'm afraid.

Seriously THIS is the crowd fro The XX. The fucking XX! I think it's quite safe to say this year was WAY TOO CROWDED. I've been going since 1999, have to say adding 15k to the capacity was quite possibly the worst mis-step this excellent festival has ever had.

This was stupid, and this is only picturing about half as many people as there was for acts Phoenix, Thom, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, etc...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4543893018_786da6cc13_b.jpg

C DUB YA
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
This was the crowd trying to see Mayer Hawthorne at 3:00 (are you fucking kidding me)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4543279715_7605b73a6a_b.jpg

frazzles
04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
OP is fucking stupid. Most of these complaints that are said over and over are absolutely legitimate. An extra 15k in the same space that was pushing comfort levels (at times) at 60k is fucking asinine beyond belief. The extra 15k that was planned for, at least, not to include god knows how many people that just waltzed right in.

We all understand 75k and knew it would be a clusterfuck beforehand. We were just unaware of how HUGE of a clusterfuck it was considering there was no expansion at all beyond some dumbass Rose Garden.

FoxeyLady
04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
This festival needs to be capped at 60k. End of story.

juloxx
04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
^^^ Agreed

mickflyy
04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
I would bet my left testicle that there was more than 75,000 people there per day.

tigermilkboy
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
The numbers wouldn't be a problem if they increased space equally-not just increasing the VIP area.

Also, if you have that many people, you have to schedule acts running across every stage. As much as we hate seeing schedules conflict for our favorite artists, it would force us to choose. If you 75K people spread out amongst 6-8 stages, the whole event would be much less cluttered.

canexplain
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Double the area and kick it up to 85k ....

CellarOwl
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Mathematically, that's retarded.

TonyWonder
04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
More people = more fun :)

I agree.

YouthD
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I think 50k is the safe zone.

BROKENDOLL
04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I know it sounds funny since this is a huge desert, but between the 2 polo clubs and their properties, I believe every possible area had been used up, whether it be for parking, camping, or festival grounds. We were fortunate enough to have a resident pass for parking on the other side of the Tamarask trees next to camping, and they had turned 2 private polo fileds into parking lots. I know the property owners and they hadn't done that before. Based upon previous years and issues with traffic,Indio has spent a lot of time improving the roads and flow of traffic in this area, but I think it was based uponthose previous attendance totals. If they're gonna add extra lots for parking and more people, they'll need to do more additional roadwork getting to the lots...or, tell Paul that there just has to be a limit for attendance.

I found myself somewhat embarrassed at first about the traffic clusterfuck, but I also knew that we've spent the last year dealing with the construction and changes that were meant to accomodate this fest...unfortunately, it wasn't enough for that many peeps.

I'm still amazed of the fact that 3 day only passes actually sold out during an economy that sucks, and when it was announced it sold out at 75,000, my first thought was, "Fuck, this is gonna be a damn zoo this year...it was...

HandBanana
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
There is no more area. We are hemmed in by palms.

BROKENDOLL
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I think 50k is the safe zone.
A Safe Zone. When you put it that way and compare it to what actually came to be this year, yeah, safety should become part of the math for next year.

If you recall, just a week or so before the fest we had a pretty good quake here, and people were starting to wonder and worry about another one over the weekend...Thank you, God, for not allowing that to happen or this could have been a really bad expeience for all because of the amount of people in attendance.

I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped. during the peak times, or better yet, the whole time. Had there been some type of disaster or panic inducing occurance this weekend, there would have only been one way out...for 75,000 people? I don't fucking think so. And we all know that had there been an occurance, the security wouldn't have made anyone feel more secure,nor been able to control the riot and panic that would have occurred. Shame on GV for not having a plan B to accomodate the unexpected.

C DUB YA
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree.

You agree that more people equals more fun?

Please explain.

C DUB YA
04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I would bet my left testicle that there was more than 75,000 people there per day.

more like 85k

humanoid
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
bulldoze all the surrounding homes and increase the size drastically

joking, locals

Gribbz
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Delete.

TonyWonder
04-23-2010, 05:29 AM
You agree that more people equals more fun?

Please explain.

I simply didn't think the crowds were much of a problem and thought more often than not that they enhanced my experience rather than detracted from it. Almost every set I attended was packed with fans having a great time. It would be one thing if it was super packed and no one was into it (like ACL every year) but I got wonderful vibes from these crowds. Traversing the polo fields didn't really seem that much more difficult than any other year and I've never waited in shorter lines for food, water or toilets at Coachella. The biggest negatives were the trash and the lack of art.

Examples: Florence and the Machine was extremely packed but the entire crowd was going ape-shit so I had a blast even though I was squeezed in tight. Hot Chip was insanely crowded but EVERYONE was dancing so it made for a great experience. I just really enjoyed seeing so many people enjoying my favorite event. There were a few assholes here and there but nothing like 07 and I didn't let anyone ruin my good time.

C DUB YA
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
We agree to disagree then. I liked it much better with less people, anybody that went pre-2004 will agree on this. The ability to see more, and to see more of, the artists was one of Coachella's big draws, now it's more like ACL or Lollapalooza. Way overcrowded, less art, less comfortable.

The "vibes" you speak of are a personal thing sure, but the reality is there were too many people there. While you had a good time and good views, not everyone was so lucky. The reason, just too many people.

JustSteve
04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped.

there was, between the gobi and mojave.

jamesc2929
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
I can't believe the change between 2005 and 2010. I use to be able to easily go into the Mohave or to the outside stage and just enjoy the band, but now it has turned into a little war at every stage. I even, for the first time, almost got into a few fights because i couldn't take the "relax dude" attitude from some asshole that was begging to get punched. I even had to throw some asshole to the ground after he started to crowd surf at PIL, and he almost laded on my wife's head.
The one word for Coachella 2010 is CLUSTERFUCK. And I have said, as have my friends who go with me, that next year if there are more than 60,000 people, and its like this, it will be my last Coachella.
However, i am a realist, and I know know that they have decided to sell 75,000, they will not go back.
The best festival on the planet, has become just another LOLLAPALOOZA.
Fuck...I loved this week every year, and now it has been ruined by
GREED.

Riot Nrrrd™
04-24-2010, 02:07 AM
"The best festival on the planet"??? Bwahahahaha. Get out much? :laughyou

Any time you have conditions where to see an act it is sardine-land with wall-to-wall people, it's too crowded. Period. It doesn't matter if it's at Coachella or Bonaroo or the DEMF or overseas at Sónar or Glastonbury or Benicassim or T In The Park or <insert festival here>

jtovar21
04-24-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah I'd bet that there was at least 10-15 K more people on any given moment during the weekend than 75,000. I saw way too many people walking around with out wristbands or phoney ones or people just covering their wrists. 75 K is always too much for the polo fields now tack on 10 -15 percent of people sneaking in and presto..clusterfuck city..I would of been cool with it ..if most of the people doin it weren't complete douchebags, but unfortunately, most I saw were of the "bro" types.

I found this tidbit through mydesertsun.com report on Sly which makes me think changes will be coming next year:

He [Paul Tollett] said he'd faced more adversity with this Coachella than any other. I asked him about reports that 10,000 counterfeit wristbands had been distributed, which must have contributed to the confusions and delays getting in, but he only said, “You know I'm not good with numbers.

10, 000 fake wristbands..Wowza..plus the amount of gatecrashers ( knew a few personally who snuck in very easily)..I am willing to bet this was somewhere more in the range of 85 - 95 K .

Riot Nrrrd™
04-24-2010, 03:34 AM
I would of [sic] been cool with it ..if most of the people doin it weren't complete douchebags, but unfortunately, most I saw were of the "bro" types.

"Coachella - Spring Break for Hipsters" - seen on Twitter

sonofhal
04-24-2010, 03:50 AM
there was, between the gobi and mojave.

I think that was an exit, rather than an entry point - and was only opened late on.

eskamo951
04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped. during the peak times, or better yet, the whole time. Had there been some type of disaster or panic inducing occurance this weekend, there would have only been one way out...for 75,000 people? I don't fucking think so. And we all know that had there been an occurance, the security wouldn't have made anyone feel more secure,nor been able to control the riot and panic that would have occurred. Shame on GV for not having a plan B to accomodate the unexpected.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there would have been a stampede if there had been an earthquake and I'd probably be injured or dead because of some dumbass not realizing that as long as nothing is about to fall on you, you shouldn't move during an earthquake. It's bad enough people trampled down fences just to get out at the end of the night, but during an earthquake? I'm terrified to see what would happen.

Oh, and to the OP, I've been on the 10 in downtown LA at 5pm on a Friday before a Holiday weekend, and I would have preferred that traffic to the Coachella traffic. I'm pretty sure 4 million people generate a lot more traffic than 75k, especially when 8,000 cars (with 2-6 people each) were staying in the campgrounds.

JustSteve
04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I think that was an exit, rather than an entry point - and was only opened late on.

nope, it was open all day from what i saw. it was the entrance from the handicapped parking lot.

digitalmau5
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
You people saying Coachella was overcrowded and how that runied it for you need to please STFU. Try going to EDC, Monster Massive, or TAO, now that shit is overcrowded. I had plenty of room to dance and get close enough to see the acts I wanted to see. Everybody just needs to stop bitching and get over it, and if you dont like it just dont come next year, then there will be even more room for me to dance (even though I already had enough room this past year).

MissingPerson
04-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Dude. If they don't enjoy crowding, why would they want to go to another festival that has crowding just to see other examples of crowding?

It's not about other festivals. People liked Coachella for setting itself apart from them.

captncrzy
04-26-2010, 12:49 PM
You're trying to reason with a Yeti.

evasquez7
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I find this funny. A lot of people already knew prior to Coachella that Goldenvoice was allowed to sell 85,000 tickets, but Tollett capped it at 75,000. The only day I ever had a hard time getting in was of course Friday, and parking was the only thing to complain about, yet it was expected. Everbody complaining about the amount of people at Coachella, do yourself and everybody else a favor and just stay home next year, that way there's nothing to bitch about. Peace.

J~$$$$
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I dont get it.

captncrzy
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Did you know bees and dogs can smell fear?

J~$$$$
04-26-2010, 02:39 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/mmmmdoughnuts/1271517858002.png

crazzz2007
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
You people saying Coachella was overcrowded and how that runied it for you need to please STFU. Try going to EDC, Monster Massive, or TAO, now that shit is overcrowded. I had plenty of room to dance and get close enough to see the acts I wanted to see. Everybody just needs to stop bitching and get over it, and if you dont like it just dont come next year, then there will be even more room for me to dance (even though I already had enough room this past year).

you fucking moron. coachella is not some stupid rave. YOU are one of the main reasons coachella isn't what it once was. go fuck yourself.

p.s. Do you think he'll get it now?

captncrzy
04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
I find this funny. A lot of people already knew prior to Coachella that Goldenvoice was allowed to sell 85,000 tickets, but Tollett capped it at 75,000. .

Hey, what a surprise. You're wrong.

robotronia
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
wasn't the gate between mojave/gobi only an entry/exit for the assorted cloth wristbands? -
and
the artist/crew numbers were cut last minute, so if you had put in for 12, they came back with 4. no explanation.
we ran our project at times over by the ferris wheel, and fri/sat nights got our van pelted with fruits lobbed over the hedges, some dents, lucky windows didnt break....there were bum rushes a plenty over there, most running straight into the back of a wall of portas.

my favorite was actually last year though, when some overdressed hotness says to us by the entrance: "we'll do anything if you can get us in", to which we replied: "we need some holes dug, how are you with shovels"?

so i guess i dont understand people, let alone 75,000+ of them.

J~$$$$
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
More

than 75,000
p eop le
dont unders
stand sentence struc

ture.

algunz
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd dig a hole for free entry.

Changoloco
04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
"The best festival on the planet"??? Bwahahahaha. Get out much? :laughyou

Any time you have conditions where to see an act it is sardine-land with wall-to-wall people, it's too crowded. Period. It doesn't matter if it's at Coachella or Bonaroo or the DEMF or overseas at Sónar or Glastonbury or Benicassim or T In The Park or <insert festival here>

I have been to many festivals all over the world and Coachella is definitely one of the best.

digitalmau5
04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
you fucking moron. coachella is not some stupid rave. YOU are one of the main reasons coachella isn't what it once was. go fuck yourself.

p.s. Do you think he'll get it now?

You are a dumbass POS. Its a fucking music festival. If anything, more people should be expected at Coachella given that there are a lot more variety of people that show up there (not your typical teen that wears kandi that show up to raves). You are one of those people that are always bitching and never happy. Please stfu and get over it, and if not just dont go next year douche.

TomAz
04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
This endless boosterism for a commercial product is weird, people.

J~$$$$
04-26-2010, 03:47 PM
You should see the nike swoosh on the back of my lowrider pick-up. Its chingaso.

eskamo951
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
You are a dumbass POS. Its a fucking music festival. If anything, more people should be expected at Coachella given that there are a lot more variety of people that show up there (not your typical teen that wears kandi that show up to raves). You are one of those people that are always bitching and never happy. Please stfu and get over it, and if not just dont go next year douche.

Well, I agree with the person you are responding to, and Coachella was the happiest place in the universe for me. If people like you keep showing up and wanting more attendance, I won't have my happy, care-free Coachella anymore. I believe this is the problem most returning coachella attendees had this year. If this was your first year, then no one really cares about your opinion with all the changes the festival saw, because you don't know how it used to be. So you, please, "stfu and get over it," we want our festival back.

Strange
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, I agree with the person you are responding to, and Coachella was the happiest place in the universe for me. If people like you keep showing up and wanting more attendance, I won't have my happy, care-free Coachella anymore. I believe this is the problem most returning coachella attendees had this year. If this was your first year, then no one really cares about your opinion with all the changes the festival saw, because you don't know how it used to be. So you, please, "stfu and get over it," we want our festival back.
^^This

choice cat
04-26-2010, 10:49 PM
was it this year that saw the start of massive amounts of people sneaking in ?

brfilora
04-27-2010, 07:05 AM

Realistically, if some sort of panic inducing occurence WERE to take place and 85,000+ people start running, I don't care if there are 40 exits from the Polo grounds, everyone of them would be a bottle neck and thousands would be trampled.

Unfortunately there's really no way around that in such massive crowds...God forbid anything like that ever happen.

algunz
04-27-2010, 07:31 AM
was it this year that saw the start of massive amounts of people sneaking in ?

Yes, people always managed to get in, but we also saw people getting caught . . . a lot. Somebody said somewhere about those fences by the bikes? Half of them were completely pulled forward. That area is right by the entrance and very well lit. Nobody cared.

instinct
04-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Agreed. I'm thinking with all the people that snuck in there were over 85,000.

iBurn
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
I've been to every single Coachella since 1999 and it has never been like this...don't pretend it has

I agree. 2010 was too much people. I kind of liked the car camping with the byo beer, but not nearly enough camping showers. Get headliners with smaller egos and fees,you'll save so much that, you 'll make just as much as you would with ten thousand less people. Prince is not worth $5M.