PDA

View Full Version : AT&T FAIL

KickerConspiracy
04-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Seriously, how hard is it to bring in some portable cell towers to make sure that people can connect to the internet for 3 days. If you can do it in Austin for SXSW, you can do it at Coachella.

Texts were delayed, Internet service was non-existent for iPhone users.

Without the Internet, there was no way to get stage change information. Would have loved to see Sly's shambolic performance as the Gorrillaz were boring, but had no way to know he was playing.

shoegazer76
04-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Uhh the first thing when I saw driving down Monroe was 3 or 4 mobile AT&T towers.

frozen pilgrim
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm going to be demanding a refund for the roaming package I purchased for coachella. I didn't pay for $75 worth of roaming minutes and texts in advance to not have anything work after 7 PM all weekend. at&t can go fuck themselves. fairplex entertainment can go fuck themselves. CSC can go fuck themselves. can you tell I'm a bit miffed?

dorkfish
04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Uhh the first thing when I saw driving down Monroe was 3 or 4 mobile AT&T towers.
They realistically needed about 50 more mobile towers. Not that it would have helped, much, since their actual infrastructure for the whole area crashed several times creating lovely 6 hour delays on texting, etc.

shermanoaksyo
04-20-2010, 12:33 PM
if ATT has more mobile towers to deploy, they should put them in west hollywood. thanks

patricksw
04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
if ATT has more mobile towers to deploy, they should put them in west hollywood. thanks

+1

p.

humanoid
04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I was surprised that all my Iphone friends were having such issues

After having T-mobile fail miserably during Coachella for the last 7 years....I have Sprint this year and it worked perfectly all weekend

superfiction
04-20-2010, 01:10 PM
yeah i had tmobile until this year. never had a problem. buyin an iphone has been my best decision in a long time, but lets be honest, it did nothing for me at coachella.

deftonepuma
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/041910-poor-att-coverage-reported-at.html?hpg1=bn

All major gatherings are a problem, it is not as though SXSW was immune either. Just give up the dream.

frozen pilgrim
04-20-2010, 01:28 PM
it's not a "dream", retard. not all major gatherings are a problem. it's called infrastructure.

fatbastard
04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Sucks does not even begin to describe my anger with AT&T.

People were waiting for an hour to leave Sunday night because they could not contact me. I was texting back and forth with someone to meet at Gorillaz, only to have texting stop, so my buddy from San Francisco did not get the opportunity to say hi in person.

fpsphil
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
the delays and failed calls were horrible, id rather have no reception at all then having my phone showing i have a connection even though it didnt work. So dear AT&T why don't you invest some money and put a permanent tower or two around the grounds there. And if worse comes to worse disable the data network and dedicate 100% of the networks resources to calls and sms.

cured
04-20-2010, 01:49 PM
What was frustrating was I'd get some texts to go through on my side but my buddy, who was sitting right next to me, wouldn't receive them. Meeting up with different groups of friends was a real crapshoot and had to be planned before leaving the hotel.

shermanoaksyo
04-20-2010, 01:50 PM
disable the data network and dedicate 100% of the networks resources to calls and sms.

this

KickerConspiracy
04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
the no Internet when set time changes were posted on the Internet was one thing, but the delay for texting was ridiculous. my gf and I were at seperate stages most of Sunday, and each of us would receive texts in batches 7 or 8 at a time, so at some point after we had reconnected I'd receive a burst of texts like

'Ok, I'm at Julian Casablancas. Now Charlotte Gainsbourg. Wow, she's really good. You should come over here. Where are you? Okay, I'm going to see Phoenix. I'll be in the food area, etc.'

fatbastard
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
If 30% of the crowd has AT&T, then all 25,000 of us should call in and complain at one time.

Vic Viper
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i have an iphone. shit did not work.

ZackQ
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh shit, I just got 37 texts that people sent to me during the weekend at Coachella. Thank you AT&T for your better late than never approach.

schavira
04-20-2010, 03:34 PM
It was like this last year too, had several incidents of drama just because of it. They really need to get their shit together if they're going to be a sponsor.

who8me2k7
04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
i found it interesting that on sunday as soon as the gorillaz finished i received 6 texts that were all at least 5 hours late. ironic much that i get all texts once coachella is officially over?

gruvlicius
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
My friends and I always make one set plan to meet up towards the end of the night, knowing that we will probably separate and may not have cell service to reconnect. Also, I never send a text that says "where are you?" or other randomness. We always say something specific, like "meet in Mojave Beer Garden after Dirty Projectors", then hang out in the same general area in each garden, tent and stage, so our friends can find us.
And remember, some of the best times happen when wandering Coachella solo.

monkeyboy
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
hmm. verizon seemed to be working fine as far as I could tell.

Wheres the beef?
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Verizon worked fantastic allll weekend.

thefrush
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Verizon sucked for me, or maybe it was the people I was talking to. Huge delays on texts and couldn't connect calls.

oklein
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I had the same delayed text message issues.
Fuck AT&T.

daft$tar
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
at&t didnt work for shit at coachella - i would get texts 3 hours after they were sent and i couldn't even make a call while inside the polo fields

of course at&t never works when im home in LA so im not suprised i guess

headrush
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Would have loved to see Sly's shambolic performance as the Gorrillaz were boring, but had no way to know he was playing.

Sly Stone wasn't playing persay.... but yes, he was PHYSICALLY present, mentally though, who the hell knows.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
As always for me at hugely crowded events where people's iPhones are basically bricks, my Sprint Hero was flying fine.

ibuprofane
01-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Anyone know if AT&T plans to not suck so hard this year?

Neighborhood Creep
01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
http://gadgetsteria.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/att-theft.jpg

shermanoaksyo
01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Given that AT&T sucks everywhere, especially in the cities of Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco, I think it is a fair bet to say it will suck at Coachella. I am probably going to buy a verizon goPhone for this year, if I haven't already terminated AT&T and switched over by then.

fredbull
01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
who knows, i know i am on t-mobile, and the past 2 years were terrible once the festival got going.

KickerConspiracy
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Given that AT&T sucks everywhere, especially in the cities of Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco, I think it is a fair bet to say it will suck at Coachella. I am probably going to buy a verizon goPhone for this year, if I haven't already terminated AT&T and switched over by then.

Hopefully they are a little better this year. More people will have Android phones and the Verizon iPhone I hope will lighten the load on ATT's service.

captncrzy
01-23-2011, 09:38 AM
The only time I had major cell phone issues was in 2006. Last year the texts were delayed but not by much.

We've found it to be much easier to be specific in our communications in case the texts are delayed...like instead of asking "where are you?", say "It's 915, I'm headed to the Mohave, meet me there at 945".

ibuprofane
01-23-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm familiar with the general suckitude of AT&T, but the problem in cities is because of tall buildings causing interference. Since this is a flat field, the only problem should be cells getting overloaded - solvable with more portable towers. Last year they tried to offer free WiFi to offload the towers, but that failed too.

We've found it to be much easier to be specific in our communications in case the texts are delayed...like instead of asking "where are you?", say "It's 915, I'm headed to the Mohave, meet me there at 945".

Last year I didn't get txts until the next morning - pretty useless, even when you timestamp your txts.

knotted_donuts
01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I am probably going to buy a verizon goPhone for this year, if I haven't already terminated AT&T and switched over by then.

Keep in mind that Verizon are getting the iPhone early Feb. I know they're touted as the most reliable network, but even that's going to be stressed when you get thousands of Internet Generation kids using their fancy new iPhones on their parents' Verizon account to text/tweet/upload photos/(anything but enjoy and appreciate reality) all at the same time.

You may want to consider that strange and ancient (pre-cell phone) logistic technique - plan.

shermanoaksyo
01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
A phone is great to have in a pinch, you can't plan for everything.

DopeMatic3002
01-23-2011, 03:36 PM
The free Wi-Fi is bogus too. A go-phone might not be a bad idea.

earlgrey
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
http://gadgetsteria.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/att-theft.jpg

lol

Bee_troots
01-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Hmmm im gunna bring my walkie talkies with throat mics to coachella. just incase i wanna get in contact with my party for whatever reason lol.

BeeII
01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
The free Wi-Fi is bogus too. A go-phone might not be a bad idea.

the free wifi was great, used it all weekend. And I have sprint, which worked great for me all weekend, but didn't matter since everyone else doesn't have sprint.

BKsaysAction!
01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Haha last year I found out if I turned my phone off then turned it back on I had 3G for maybe 3 minutes so I'd text anything I needed then before I got disconnected. Hopefully with people going to verizon like suckers that'll lax at&t's network.

Mugwog
01-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Verizon now has iPhone so we will see how many leave ATT to "improve" service

the best plan for communicating w friends for me was having a good set of walky talkies with over 12 channels

WhyTheLongFace
01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Between Coachella 2010 and TAO 2011 I have had T-Mobile, AT&T, and now Sprint.

They didn't work at Coachella- T-Mobile
They didn't work at Audiotisitic- iPhone
They didn't work at TAO- Evo

It's just what happens

JustSteve
01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
remember when people got along fine before cell phones were around. i do. it was a better time. shit, i could be out playing with friends all day as a kid, nowhere near home, and the parents wouldn't be worried at all.

now we all need to be able to get in touch with someone in a matter of seconds as if it were a matter of life or death.

i will be turning my phone off coachella weekend and taking a break from technology. it will be heaven.

Rarebreed
01-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Verizon worked great for me all weekend. Maybe you should switch.

Karilo13
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Ahaha that explains why I would get like 60 text messages all at once like at 3am. I thought it was cuz I had a shitty prepaid phone.

baily
01-23-2011, 08:02 PM
AT&T sucked for us as well.
Been bad for years. I now just leave my phone in the locker and tell
Friends times and places we will meet up and let friends and family not there know I'll talk to them Mon or Tues.
It may help with some switching over

BeeII
01-23-2011, 08:02 PM
remember when people got along fine before cell phones were around. i do. it was a better time. shit, i could be out playing with friends all day as a kid, nowhere near home, and the parents wouldn't be worried at all.

now we all need to be able to get in touch with someone in a matter of seconds as if it were a matter of life or death.

i will be turning my phone off coachella weekend and taking a break from technology. it will be heaven.

and i'll be live blogging using my tethered netbook.