PDA

View Full Version : quit whining

hollywoodhewitt
04-20-2010, 10:37 AM
ok, so this was my fourth coachella, dating random trips as far back as 2004. was it crowded? yes. it was crowded in 07 as well. did the lines suck to get in? yep. just like EVERY festival. get a grip and stop bitching everyone, if you didn't have a good time, don't go next year. i really dont want to camp next to whining people anyway. as for the ones out here who actually had a good time (such as my group and i) keep it up! bring more friends for next year. i cannot even begin to see why people are bitching, every single person i met over the weekend was awesome, every band i saw was pretty much incredible, and the art projects were awesome. i'm also a little bummed there was no tesla coil, however there was a lot of shit to do/see/hear.

humanoid
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
If you have complaints about something that you legitimately love...should you really not complain?

I've been coming to Coachella every year since 1999, and this year was by far my worst overall experience. I want to continue coming and enjoying it like i have every year. Isn't voicing complaints a way to hopefully influence change? If you have complaints, shutting up about it doesn't do much good.

The bands were great, but there was plenty to be frustrated with this year that had never occurred in previous years.

hollywoodhewitt
04-20-2010, 10:52 AM
yes, i agree that posting your issues may help in the future, but look at what people are saying. i've flown from baltimore MD 4 different times to enjoy this festival. ive been on this board for an hour since ive gotten home from the airport and just can't believe how people can't just have fun. my god, someone swinging a glowstick in the back of the field for thom yorke? move! its like people didn't always have glowsticks at coachella. everyone on here complaining is bitching about other people that wanted to have a good time. and i didnt "rave" out at all. but if some kid spent 300 dollars on a ticket like the rest of us, if he can afford the glowstick let the kid use it. as long as i remember, there have always been a lot of people there, and i would hope that continues. i had a great time. some shit was different yes, but seriously people seem to just be mad about petty issues. being pissed about being in line? lines happen in every festival. i'm pretty sure about that. it's like being pissed about being dusty in the desert.

Strange
04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Dude fuck that, I'm not paying over a grand (travel and party expenses included) and not voicing the complaints i have. the other years i had a grand total of 1 problem. this year it was fuck up after fuck up. One of those fucktard volunteers stole my friends bag. He was at the merch tent and set his bag on the table. then (yeah like a fucktard) he walked away a few steps, went back, and the guy said "what bag, nope no bag here" it ended up in the lost and found with his ID and car keys left in it.

Strange
04-20-2010, 10:54 AM
On another note, the Bands were EPIC, the Campers were AWESOME like every year, i loved my neighbors! sorry i haven't posted any of that but the bad shit was in the front of my mind

hollywoodhewitt
04-20-2010, 11:05 AM
yes, it does suck that a bag got trashed, and that some merch people are assholes, but there's a point that has to be a "is what it is" moment. i'm not defending some scumbag that jacked your friends shit, but people working events for 3 days in the desert are bound to get shitty. on a lighter note on the merch tent, my friend left his water bottle on the table, and some rather cute merch chick jumped the table to run it back to him, so yea im sure some staff people were assholes, but they did have to deal with 75000 of us. and i know i was cool to them, as i'm sure you were as well, but i can also be sure that not anywhere near everyone was nice to the staff. people forgot that whole golden rule bullshit.

Dogvolta
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Fuck yeah I am going to complain here. I was actually just talking to my gf about this today. When it comes to a message board like this, HELL YES complain away, this is the time and place for it.
On the other hand, today on campus, CSULB, Ive had a bunch of random coachella conversations with random people because of the hoodie I am wearing. 99% of the conversations were just filled with love and enthusiasm, from myself and the random guy/girl.
We love coachella.
Even more reason for me to get on these boards and agree that certain aspects of this year were INCREDIBLY fucked up, and NEEDS to be remedied.
That's why we are "whining"

CrimesceneCookie
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Dude fuck that, I'm not paying over a grand (travel and party expenses included) and not voicing the complaints i have. the other years i had a grand total of 1 problem. this year it was fuck up after fuck up. One of those fucktard volunteers stole my friends bag. He was at the merch tent and set his bag on the table. then (yeah like a fucktard) he walked away a few steps, went back, and the guy said "what bag, nope no bag here" it ended up in the lost and found with his ID and car keys left in it.

we found a bag Friday in the food area with an ID in it, turned it in to lost & found. Wonder if that was your friend.

Why would the merch guy steal the bag and then turn it into lost and found? You're not making sense. I bet your friend was too stoned and forgot his bag in the food area. But you're not happy that someone turned it in and saved your friend's weekend. Next time maybe we'll just chuck it over the fence so you have more to bitch about.

frozen pilgrim
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
hollywoodhewitt, go choke on a bag of dicks and die.

some of us love coachella more than anything in the whole world and are not just complaining for the hell of it- I stick up for coachella, I push it to my friends, and so when something is as royally fucked up as the six hours to get to tent camping on thursday, ex-cons on parole and community service working "security", a total lack of maps, booklets, and at one point even fucking WRISTBANDS, etc, we're going to talk about it. we're not trying to tell people that coachella sucks, we're trying to say we LOVE it and want these problems fixed so it can continue to be the best festival in the world. the whole reason coachella is great is because it's NOT like every other festival. it was founded in 99 as an intentional antithesis to the oversold corporate clusterfuck that was woodstock 1999, and we'd like to keep it that way.

if you WANT chaos, violence, abuse from staff, overcrowding, etc, go ahead and have fu with that. we love coachella and want it to still BE coachella. not woodstock99chella.

gaypalmsprings
04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Calling it like it is is not whining. When someone fucks up, sometimes you just can't stay quiet - you have to speak out.

humanoid
04-20-2010, 11:35 AM
yes, i agree that posting your issues may help in the future, but look at what people are saying. i've flown from baltimore MD 4 different times to enjoy this festival. ive been on this board for an hour since ive gotten home from the airport and just can't believe how people can't just have fun. my god, someone swinging a glowstick in the back of the field for thom yorke? move! its like people didn't always have glowsticks at coachella. everyone on here complaining is bitching about other people that wanted to have a good time. and i didnt "rave" out at all. but if some kid spent 300 dollars on a ticket like the rest of us, if he can afford the glowstick let the kid use it. as long as i remember, there have always been a lot of people there, and i would hope that continues. i had a great time. some shit was different yes, but seriously people seem to just be mad about petty issues. being pissed about being in line? lines happen in every festival. i'm pretty sure about that. it's like being pissed about being dusty in the desert.

I get what you're saying, and I agree about complaining about petty shit.

But, I don't really see Goldenvoice drastically overselling what used to be a mellow, all about the music, almost perfect festival, to the point that you can hardly move anywhere on the field, can get nowhere near most stages, have to spend hours of your day in line....as a minor complaint.

Of course, growth is expected to happen, I was at '99, which only had like 35-38,000 attendees...so 85,000 or so, is quite the expansion from it's original roots. I didn't expect it to stay at that level, since the promoters lost money on the original, but never did I imagine it could evolve into this.

I'm not just complaining that there were people there, no shit....but since this is my 11th Coachella Festival, and I hold it near and dear to my heart, the drastic difference in overall numbers and organization were extremely noticeable and frustrating. Coachella has always, since the very beginning, held a serious edge over every other event of this size that I have attended, in regards to accessibility, organization and overall management. This year, it became indistinguishable from any other overcrowded concert event that I've experienced.

Strange
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
It was 1st thing in the morning, no way he was too stoned. he was trying on a T-shirt, and took off his bag (one of those man-purse things with Tool and Deftones patches on it) to try it on, setting the bag on the table. the guy yells at him "you can't try it on" so he said fuck that i don't want to buy it. (i don't know why). He said he got maybe 5 steps away, went back, and the bag was gone. that was Sunday. Monday we went over and had to jump thru all sorts of hoops to get to lost and found. Then he had to run the gauntlet of "what does it look like" "what buttons/patches does it have" "who are the first 3 contacts in the phone?" When the phone had a background Pic of my friend and his girl, let alone his ID. his wallet was there, but no cash/cards, the camera and I-pod were gone. Maybe whoever got it decided not to be a TOTAL D bag and turn in what he couldn't make $$ off of.
BUT like Dogvolta said, all i can tell my friends who didn't go is how fucking awesome it was, how much fun it was, and how we have to get more then 10 of us next year. 10 was great, 15 would be epic....

Hugo1
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
hollywoodhewitt, go choke on a bag of dicks and die.

some of us love coachella more than anything in the whole world and are not just complaining for the hell of it- I stick up for coachella, I push it to my friends, and so when something is as royally fucked up as the six hours to get to tent camping on thursday, ex-cons on parole and community service working "security", a total lack of maps, booklets, and at one point even fucking WRISTBANDS, etc, we're going to talk about it. we're not trying to tell people that coachella sucks, we're trying to say we LOVE it and want these problems fixed so it can continue to be the best festival in the world. the whole reason coachella is great is because it's NOT like every other festival. it was founded in 99 as an intentional antithesis to the oversold corporate clusterfuck that was woodstock 1999, and we'd like to keep it that way.

if you WANT chaos, violence, abuse from staff, overcrowding, etc, go ahead and have fu with that. we love coachella and want it to still BE coachella. not woodstock99chella.

YEAH!!! WELL SAID!!! BROTHER!! Fucking youngsters! go to Kroq's Weenie Roast and fuck it up for them. Not Coachella.

mickflyy
04-20-2010, 11:47 AM
If you have complaints about something that you legitimately love...should you really not complain?

I've been coming to Coachella every year since 1999, and this year was by far my worst overall experience. I want to continue coming and enjoying it like i have every year. Isn't voicing complaints a way to hopefully influence change? If you have complaints, shutting up about it doesn't do much good.

The bands were great, but there was plenty to be frustrated with this year that had never occurred in previous years.

I too have been going since 99, and I feel the same way. Oh yeah 1-1, go Inter.

humanoid
04-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I too have been going since 99, and I feel the same way. Oh yeah 1-1, go Inter.

watching that right now too....go Inter!

FoxeyLady
04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I must have gotten lucky, because all the complaints I am hearing about waiting in long lines and not getting close to stages didn't affect me at all. It took about an hour to get through car camping security (i got there thursday night around 7:30). I never had to wait in more than a 10 minute line to get into the festival itself and almost never waited in more than a minute line to get food or water. I was also able to get a good spot for every band I wanted to see without being an asshole about it. Coachella went very smoothly for my friends and me.

CrimesceneCookie
04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
same here. Got there around 3pm Thursday with my RV and check in went fairly smooth.
Every day, it took less than 20 minutes to walk from my RV to the inside of the festival.
Got a decent spot for everyone I really wanted to see and didn't have to show up early anywhere. Didn't have to deal with any lines in the food area at all, and getting my locker deposit back took all of 20 seconds.

hollywoodhewitt
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
you guys can all go fuck off. you act like i'm 15 years old and have never been to a festival. i too agree there were issues, but you guys gave it a whole fucking day after being home to bitch about one of the better festivals out there? if you can't appreciate what you went to just shut the fuck up. maybe eleven years was enough for you you should trade your old fuck ticket in to someone who can just sit back and enjoy it. and i thought the californians were the laid back ones...

humanoid
04-20-2010, 02:09 PM
alright, you can fuck off as well

you're right, if you don't like something, don't say anything, sit back and take it

What'sInAName?
04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I have to agree with everyone else on this one..its not about people being unappreciative of what Coachella is, but it's kinda fucken hard to enjoy an amazing music festival from a parking lot, ya know? 6+ hours waiting to get into the camping lot on friday...definitely not fun. Missing EVERYBODY I wanted to see on Friday, with the exception of Jay-Z..also not fun. I'm sure you wouldn't have had such a sweet time if you were stuck outside for a whole festival day. I have no complaints about the other two days..super fun, super chill. But getting there was definitely jacked up.