PDA

View Full Version : no love for Les Claypool?

BrickTop24
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I quite enjoyed his set Saturday night and would love to see him live again whether its primus or his solo material.

Mr. Dylanja
04-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Les Claypool was great! Xylophoninst was a madman. My favorite part was when Les came out in the pigmask with his bow and went to war with whatever instrument that was he was playing. He'd slap it a couple times, step back and start circling it while glaring at it as if it was upsetting him. He turns the bass into a whole different instrument.

shoegazer76
04-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes I've never heard a xylophone rocked like that before. & Mr. Krinkle gracing us with his prescence was great.

Errant
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
One that I really didn't want to miss, but there was just no avoiding it. Hopefully someone's got vid somewhere.

theGold
04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Les is a total nutjob. Missed the last half of his set, I'm waiting for it on youtube.

BrickTop24
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
i really liked the last song alot. it got the crowd into it and it was a great way to end his set.

plus i liked the shoutouts he gave to Faith No More, PiL, Echo And The Bunnymen, and Them Crooked Vultures

We Want The Cup
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I saw the set on the webstream, and it was pretty damn cool. Is he doing a tour any time soon?

frozen pilgrim
04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
oh man I was wondering where the other claypool fans were! god damn he was awesome :D

3po1nt0
04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
as a longtime les fan (since '95) i was happy with the beginning of his set.

but everything after amanitas was predictable, routine and at times dull.

don't get me wrong, i was ecstatic to be seeing him at coachella - his first appearance - but thought he could have played different songs that would've really tore the place up. compared to other les solo shows i've seen, this one was rather tame.

headrush
04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
lots of love for Les, but seriously scheduling conflicts, yo!

fnmore
04-21-2010, 04:57 AM
I think he is like a cross between Frank Zappa and George Clinton. Genius. Loved his show and I think it is his best work since Primus.

paulb
04-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Les was incredible! What was that song where the audience were totally participating and yelling shit back to Les as he was singing?

woogie846
04-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Les was incredible! What was that song where the audience were totally participating and yelling shit back to Les as he was singing?

D's Diner off Of Whales and Woe. Les could have easily been my favorite set of the weekend.

Troubadorjim
04-21-2010, 06:33 AM
I never really listened to Primus or Les Claypool much, but the friends I was with insisted that we go check it out. Soooo glad we did because his set was the best I saw this Coachella. His band was trippy fuck with those subtle masks; I didn't even realize they were masks until 15 minutes into it. When his set ended I didn't know what to do with myself--I wanted more.

It's funny how the acts you look forward to end up being dissappointing, and the ones you didn't plan on catching were mindblowing.

paulb
04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
D's Diner off Of Whales and Woe. Les could have easily been my favorite set of the weekend.

thanks! an incredible moment for me at Coachella this year... I love seeing fans REALLY into the music being played....I bought at Ameoba yesterday that live Primus dvd from 04... cant wait to watch it!

attila the honey
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I never really listened to Primus or Les Claypool much, but the friends I was with insisted that we go check it out. Soooo glad we did because his set was the best I saw this Coachella. His band was trippy fuck with those subtle masks; I didn't even realize they were masks until 15 minutes into it. When his set ended I didn't know what to do with myself--I wanted more.

It's funny how the acts you look forward to end up being dissappointing, and the ones you didn't plan on catching were mindblowing.

Those masks were freaking me out! I kept asking my sister-in-law and dylanja what was wrong with their faces and they kept telling me that they looked normal and it was tripping me out even more. It was making my paranoia even worse but they both finally saw what i was talking about. Les was so awesome he was absolutely one of my favorites and who i was most looking forward to seeing this year, im hoping he goes on tour soon.

myfretsarestolen
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Actually D's Diner is from Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade's album, "Purple Onion"

Primus has been hinting at a new album and a full fledged tour after Claypool's fancy band tour stops in mid-June.

I thought the set was amazing, this was my 8th Claypool show (Primus, C2B3, Fancy Band) and was stellar.

Trisarahtop
04-22-2010, 07:07 AM
ALL MY LOVE WAS FOR LES

He was my number one to see the whole weekend
and as always, he bleeeew my mind!
so glad i was there early to be in the front
best best best
he is magical with the bass

aand he gestured for me to 'suck it' if anyone saw that when i yelled you blow my mind ha

unknown
04-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Thanks, Dylan for introducing me to Les before Coachella. Turned out to be a really good show! The entire band was so tight.

bennimon
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o156/bennimon/27-1.jpg

cansei de ser sexme
04-22-2010, 05:05 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs463.ash1/25446_1119720528599_1694627591_229999_7419581_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs463.ash1/25446_1119720568600_1694627591_230000_904328_n.jpg

3wulfmoonz
04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm going to see him Sunday on a riverboat with a brass band. It's gonna be unreal.

randomh3ro1
04-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Yo this was my first les claypool show after many years of listening to him so i thought i had some sort of sense of what i was instore for but oh man was i wrong. That show was mind blowing and the ovation that he received was amazing.
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYlih1b9GrA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYlih1b9GrA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

djbionik
04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Not that I was sketched out about Les, but I thought it was going to be a show to just chill out on the grass to. Nope. Big surprise! I LOVE myself for showing up for his show. Favorite surprise. I am now a huge fan. I mean, I loved Primus, but you know, that was years ago.. people change, etc. I'm so glad I saw it! I have been waiting to feel intense bass in my skin for months. He totally satisfied my needs. Thanks Les!!

theGold
04-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Actually D's Diner is from Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade's album, "Purple Onion"

Primus has been hinting at a new album and a full fledged tour after Claypool's fancy band tour stops in mid-June.

That would make me immensely happy. SOOO happy.

randomh3ro1
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
yo i saw people that were obviously tripping their asses off (as well as me) But i saw people that were leaving the set like that had just seen the devil. Im not even joking.

The whole set i thought people were touching me.... when i finally thought i caught the person touching me.... i looked around and saw that i had a 5 foot circle around me. I finally realized that it was les claypool himself touching me.

now it just makes me wanna get tickets to the gathering of the vibes and go see primus.

Pixiessp
04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
This was definitely an excellent show. I just wanted to see his hands move all over that bass. One of my favorite bass players next to John Pattitucci and James Jamerson.

Geno_g
04-24-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm glad I caught the end of his set but mad I missed the Mr. Krinkle tease with the stand up bass...

ReaganSMASH
04-26-2010, 06:37 AM
I was on the rail for this show and it was great. I thought it was hilarious when someone tossed a soda can on stage and Les just stared at it for the rest of the song like he was going to make it spontaneously combust or something.

ReaganSMASH
04-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Here is a vid of his performance. I love the way bounces around while he slaps that bass.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_WSz45Hrv0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_WSz45Hrv0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

fatbastard
04-26-2010, 07:04 AM
That tent was embarrassingly empty.

Electric Feel
04-26-2010, 02:32 PM
fuuuuck! not seeing them is one of my biggest regrets for coach 2010. They were so high on my list but there were too many conflicts. Probably my favorite act at ********* 2009!

Tortoise
04-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I thought they put on the best show of the entire festival, the electric cello busting out electric guitar lines and having a range of like five octaves (or more?) was awesome. I've never seen anyone totally command the bass like Les Claypool does, aside from say guys like Stanley Clarke. Amazing set, I've played the bootleg of it quite a bit of times now.

I need to see him again!

zenidogx
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I was just using his set to get a good spot for Devo. I was very fucking impressed by the set. Definitely one of the best Coachella sets I've seen at night.

Trisarahtop
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I thought they put on the best show of the entire festival

by far! the best. most memorable as well.

crombrenner
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Ok, this is a true story and I'm trying to find out if it was one of us boarders that was involved in it. Me and my group were in the middle near the soundboard watching Les, when this guy turned around and said to me "can I ask you a favor?" I said "sure", he said, " can you slap me in the face as hard as you can?" No bullshit. I replied," are you sure because I'll do it if you want?" He said "please do, I feel like I'm going to pass out and I need a good slap in the face." So, I popped him good, he took the hit, gave me a big hug and went on his merry way. Only at Coachella!!!

randomh3ro1
04-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Im glad the tent wasnt filled. it gave the show a more personal feel. and every1 was on the same page. not people just pushing people over and trying to get infront. people were content with seeing claypool from where they were. and the ovation he got showed him the respect EVERY1 had for him. i dont think on person walked out disappointed..

it was definitely a magical performance. and im glad i witnessed it.

SEEDYMIG420
04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Loved Less. The show was realy fun!!! I'm glad it wasn't packed.

Mr. Dylanja
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
So, Primus tour? Too bad Primus sucks :D

Deacon Blues
08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
i've seen the colonel twice before and its always a blast.

his work with buckethead is a trip

i would love to see a Danny Carey, Les Claypool and Jimmy Page super group form to take on them crooked vultures. that would make me do naughty things all over myself and any bystanders

Cupkate
12-16-2010, 04:32 PM
he was walking around during the festival!! my boyfriend and i got to meet him!! sooooo much love for that crazy motherfucker.

ballroomdancer22
12-16-2010, 06:37 PM
METH!

S.I.A.F.U
12-16-2010, 06:48 PM
It was a mellow show in comparison to other claypool shows. I saw primus New years eve 96, Tool opened for them. It was awesome.

<3Tea
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM

MGMT , Muse

then bands like Deer Hunter, RX bandits, Vultures, and dead weather played and their stage presence mixed with music blows my mind.

Geno_g
01-09-2011, 10:07 AM
So, Primus tour? Too bad Primus sucks :D

Saw Primus on 12/30/10 and they did Saling The Sea of Cheese in it's entirety, primus sucks...

newnostalgia
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM
i saw les claypool twice at jam in the dam in amsterdam.. he closed the mini fest starting at 1am in the morning till 3 or so... it was awesome.. the guy is psychedelic to watch... really, really great show.. i remember there being a conflict last year @coachella so had to miss that one.. but seeing him in a tiny venue with no more then 200 people there was amazing.

EventHorizon
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Who else loves his cover of Floyd's Animals? I think he was with Frog Brigade at Jazz Fest, NO. I'd love to see him do something similar live.

baily
01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Les is AWESOME!!!
Would had liked had he played some Primus songs....but loved it.
Bring him back

newnostalgia
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
wasnt the Dead weather playing at the same time as Les Claypool last year? I think that's why I missed him.

Geno_g
01-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I walked over from Dead Weather to catch a spot for DEVO, saw a couple songs but once I was there I wished I caught more of his set.

baily
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
That was a BITCH whomever scheduled it. Devo - Dead Weather and Les Claypool all at the same time.
Seriously!!?!
We missed Dead Weather because of the fool who put 3 cool groups at the same time.

Geno_g
01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
DEVO played after Les in the same tent...

baily
01-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Meant missing Dead Weather...
Then again that's the beauty of Coachella...many choices