PDA

View Full Version : MGMT laid waste to the outdoor stage

drewdrewdrew
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Seriously the best set of the weekend for me. Great energy, crazy fun dance party and mass amounts of people. Simply amazing.

P.S. fuck all the casuals who are up in arms about them not playing kids. A) kids isnt even that great of a song and B) give them a break, they dont want to be a one hit wonder in the shadow of the song, they have a new album, who cares about their 2008 hit that has been remixed to hell.

Also, after the set the whole entire field was literally destroyed. Walking back before the dead weather there was no way to avoid all the water bottles and various shit that was left from the set.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
They played a good set, and I'd leave it at that. I wasn't blown away nor was anyone else I spoke to.

drewdrewdrew
04-20-2010, 10:00 AM
They played a good set, and I'd leave it at that. I wasn't blown away nor was anyone else I spoke to.

Fair enough. We didnt talk to the same people it seems is all. haha

hacking my dreams
04-20-2010, 10:01 AM
We heard Kids @ 2ManyDJs so I got my Fix

HandBanana
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
They sound much better live than they used to but fuck they need some stage presence.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 10:04 AM
They sound much better live than they used to but fuck they need some stage presence.

Pretty much my take on it... they sounded better than I expected but far from fantastic.

C DUB YA
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
They were ok. Liked them fine, crowd was kinda shitty, too crowded of course.

Their fans need to gain a clue and some perspective on what is actually amazing. MGMT are not amazing. They are a decent band full of pretentious lyrics and a few catchy pop hooks (first record), nothing more.

Also they didn't destroy anything, the field was like that before they got there, trust me. Hell, both the XX and Hot Chip had a crowd back to the Gobi for christsakes.

WhyTheLongFace
04-20-2010, 10:06 AM
What MGMT set was this? It wasn't the one I saw Saturday.

drewdrewdrew
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Their fans need to gain a clue and some perspective on what is actually amazing. MGMT are not amazing. They are a decent band, nothing more.

Also they didn't destroy anything the field was like that before they got there, trust me. Hell, both the XX and Hot Chip had a crowd back to the Gobi for christsakes.

MGMT are in fact amazing. The field was not like that before they got there lol, I watched hot chip before them as well. They blew hot chip out of the water, and the XX....lets just leave it at that.

Obviously im not going to convince you it was a great set lol, just throwing in my two cents. I thought it was an amazing set and I had a fuckin blast, moreso than any other set of the weekend by far.

ablackheart
04-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I was distracted by Beyonce and JayZ standing right in front of me mid-show...

socalguy100
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
MGMT are in fact amazing. The field was not like that before they got there lol, I watched hot chip before them as well. They blew hot chip out of the water, and the XX....lets just leave it at that.

Obviously im not going to convince you it was a great set lol, just throwing in my two cents. I thought it was an amazing set and I had a fuckin blast, moreso than any other set of the weekend by far.

Agree with this. One of the best 2-3 sets of the weekend.

daft$tar
04-20-2010, 11:15 AM
We heard Kids @ 2ManyDJs so I got my Fix

ditto

GuyInTucson
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
MGMT played a disappointing set. At times, you couldn't even hear VanWyngarden's voice and they had no stage presence. They were one of my must-see's and I felt a little slighted by their performance.

shoegazer76
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
MGMT= major letdown for me. Not just the crowd but it seemed like they were just going through the motions.

bluemamba
04-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Only thing that upset me a bit was that I think Andrew forgot they were running out of time and didnt end up playing "Siberian Breaks". I wanted that song. Other than that, fun set.

deftonepuma
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I was about 10 rows back and saw Andrew give a wrap sign to the band after someone from backstage whispered in his ear. They had been closing their sets with Kids.

"P.S. fuck all the casuals who are up in arms about them not playing kids."

I ended up way too close after Hot Chip to leave. I had to give in to hype and thought it was alright.

drewdrewdrew
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I was about 10 rows back and saw Andrew give a wrap sign to the band after someone from backstage whispered in his ear. They had been closing their sets with Kids.

"P.S. fuck all the casuals who are up in arms about them not playing kids."

I ended up way too close after Hot Chip to leave. I had to give in to hype and thought it was alright.

I read an interview with them in Rolling Stone that said they were sick of being known only for Kids, and that they wrote the song so long ago that they dont feel that its an accurate representation of them anymore, so I assumed that they cut it out because of that. Maybe they were planning on playing it, who knows.

Mucho Maas
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
it went just as expected - not very impressed OR disappointed with the delivery of the old songs, and the new ones sounded fucking great.

instinct
04-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Their fans need to gain a clue and some perspective on what is actually amazing. MGMT are not amazing. They are a decent band full of pretentious lyrics and a few catchy pop hooks (first record), nothing more.

Also they didn't destroy anything, the field was like that before they got there, trust me. Hell, both the XX and Hot Chip had a crowd back to the Gobi for christsakes.

This post is a full of pretentious.

JelloPuddingChat
04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
To be fair, the MGMT crowd was one of the biggest I saw all weekend. It went almost to the end of the food court. They're also not too bad live. At least as far as sound goes.

narek23
04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
so the more rude and dirty and disrespectful the fans of a "band" are, evidenced by all the trash left behind after their set, the better they are? Please explain the logic here.

drewdrewdrew
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
so the more rude and dirty and disrespectful the fans of a "band" are, evidenced by all the trash left behind after their set, the better they are? Please explain the logic here.

Nope, not saying it made it better, just pointing out a fact. Also, its evidence of how many fuckin people were there.

NoMeansYes2010
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM

I didn't catch MGMT, but everyone I talked to who did said they were pretty unmoved by the whole experience. I was at Hot Chip however, and I can't see how MGMT could possibly blow that set "out of the water." To each their own, but Hot Chip killed.

Lemonpie
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Yea I was pretty disappointed by MGMT, especially after the energy of Hot Chip. They never have any presence in a group that should be getting people dancing. And whatever their single is called, flash delirium i think, is just blah. Like one of the worst songs ive heard in recent history.

memocroma
04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
MGMpoo. They sucked live. Don't make the most overproduced album of the year then expect it to sound good live. They sounded thin and had NO stage presence.

Giannid6
04-20-2010, 06:38 PM
It was really great... I wasn't expecting them to play Kids... and fuck not having stage presence. They were in college singing karaoke songs like three and a half years ago.

I loved how VanWyngarden said "I love Coachella...... because of all the bands...... and all the people too !" or something to that intentionally awkward extent twice during their set. Interesting stuff.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2010, 06:39 PM

This post is a full of pretentious.

And truth.

optionrider
04-20-2010, 07:00 PM
This show blowed. Simple as that. Paris Hilton back stage was more exciting.....unfortunately

stephen22
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Did MGMT finally not suck live? Saw them at Coachella 08 - sorta sucked, Roo 08 - somewhat sucked, Roo 09 - sucked about as much as you can suck at Bonnaroo without showing up 7 hours late.

I love MGMT on record, but I'll never fall for seeing them live again.

headrush
04-20-2010, 07:15 PM
gotta say that MGMT has royally blown it every time ive seen them live. except, this year they werent totally unbearable. i stuck around for a couple songs and was not disappointed.

drewdrewdrew
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
I didn't catch MGMT, but everyone I talked to who did said they were pretty unmoved by the whole experience. I was at Hot Chip however, and I can't see how MGMT could possibly blow that set "out of the water." To each their own, but Hot Chip killed.

Hot Chip did kill it, thats what I am saying, MGMT was better than that set even. Like I said, absolutely brilliant. I didnt even want to see Hot Chip and when I got there I was having a god damn good time, but MGMT was just something else.

penelopyssey
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
I was actually impressed by MGMT, they did WAY better than the last time I saw them. And I have to say, those new songs translate much better to the stage than the older songs. There something missing with their live show though... I don't think they have enough energy (although, the crowd is always pumped). And I don't think the tone of his voice carries well.
I wasn't blown away, but they did much better than before.

eturnol
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
i liked the MGMT set, but its hard to go on after Hot Chip, who always make the entire stage BOUNCE.