PDA

View Full Version : LCD Soundsystem

Radiohead
04-20-2010, 10:15 AM
They were fucking great, but should have been in the Sahara tent. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put Vampire Weekend on the main stage as the Friday subheadliner, and let LCD provide an incredible alternative to Jay-Z?

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 10:16 AM
No... they had tens of thousands of people watching them, no way they would have fit in a tent.

grichsgang
04-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I generally liked their set but found Murphy a bit too chatty. Really wanted to hear "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House," which is head and shoulders my fave (maybe they played it first, when I was ambling over after snoozing through Echo).

TomAz
04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Putting LCD in the Sahara would have been a ridiculous disaster. Main Stage was the correct place.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I generally liked their set but found Murphy a bit too chatty. Really wanted to hear "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House," which is head and shoulders my fave (maybe they played it first, when I was ambling over after snoozing through Echo).

Obviously you don't listen to LCD very much, seeing as nearly every one of their songs is James Murphy being chatty... that's their thing. Their fans find him both hilarious and intriguing, it is refreshing to see an artist being candid with fans, if only the Gorrilaz would have done the same.

I was glad they played new tracks from the leaked album and I can't wait to see them in Austin in June.

PrettyRagdoll
04-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I guess I'm in the minority of people that thought they were boring

Phantasma Del Mar
04-20-2010, 11:05 AM

They didn't. I'm pretty sure they were gonna play it but their set got cut short. Either way they put on such an awesome show, soooo much fun.

Alchemist559
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
You know, I have to eat my words, I didnt like LCD Soundsystem's music when I was checking them out, and I got there before they started so I could get a good spot for Jay-Z (bleh hate all you want, I got a rail position for him assholes) and man they blew me away, I guess they are like 100X's better live. I was having a great time and dancing my ass off. A band I didn't really want to see and was forced to by necessity turned out to be one of the best performances I seen all weekend. So I'm glad I went early I had a good spot for them and Jay-Z.

Hicks
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Their set was without a doubt one of the highlights of my weekend.

Putting them in a tent would've have sucked and James was obviously very stoked to be playing the main stage and stepped up for it.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 11:10 AM
They didn't. I'm pretty sure they were gonna play it but their set got cut short.

I think the two songs they had to cut were "Daft Punk..." and "You Wanted a Hit" (from the new album).

ELECtROjan
04-20-2010, 11:30 AM
LCD was awesome and definitely deserved their spot on the mainstage.

Hannahrain
04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought they carried the stage like a headliner would have. I can't believe people would want to cram that into a tent and expect it to still be what it was. The setting was perfect. The sky in the background. The screens. The everything. Don't touch my pristine memories with your filthy, filthy hypotheticals.

FoxeyLady
04-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I had a blast at this set. I was right down front waiting for Jay-Z. LCD was the perfect opener and James Murphy was so gracious to be there.

KickerConspiracy
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I think the two songs they had to cut were "Daft Punk..." and "You Wanted a Hit" (from the new album).

But after JM said they had planned 3 but can only play 1, they played 'Yea' and 'NY I love you'. Was hoping to hear Daft Punk in place of NY. That was a weird song to end with.

TomAz
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
I've decided I really like "Drunk Girls". the song. well.

Hicks
04-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Wait, didn't they play You Wanted a Hit?

Hannahrain
04-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I've decided I really like "Drunk Girls". the song. well.

When he played it, the drunk girl in front of us got really excited. "This song is about me!"

TomAz
04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Did you tell Corinna to calm down?

Hannahrain
04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
No. She only listens to rohypnol.

mmblack
04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
okay okay okay i have to ask this ... was that live performance of "yeah" not one of the most epic. fucking. things. ever. witnessed? no drugs involved, that was infuckingcredible. and the four dudes behind my group and my three not-so-big-lcd-fan-friends were saying the same thing as soon as it ended. i just kept saying "wowww" outloud for the rest of the night and thinking about it.

Hicks
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
There were two kids in front of me obviously waiting for Jay-Z that were kinda clowning LCD, but by the end of Yeah even they were pretty impressed.

mickflyy
04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Sadly I was only able to watch the last song as Little Dragon and Erol Alkan were playing at the same time, but such is Coachella.

socalguy100
04-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I was surprised to hear people saying they thought James was dissing Jay-Z. I thought he was pretty respectful every time he mentioned Jay-Z, but other people thought it was all sarcasm.

SunDevil
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
If it was up to me I would have changed their setlist a bit - would like to have heard either "Someone Great" or "North American Scum" rather than "Losing My Edge" or "Pow"...but nevertheless it was a great performance and a lot of fun to watch. Highlight was the entire crowd singing along to "where are your friend's tonight" at the end of "All My Friends". "Yeah" was pretty epic too.

Mr. Dylanja
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I had a lot of fun at LCD, was it me or was James Murphy talking shit about Jay-Z? I swear those two threw some jabs at eachother while on stage.

ELECtROjan
04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
I had a lot of fun at LCD, was it me or was James Murphy talking shit about Jay-Z? I swear those two threw some jabs at eachother while on stage.

yea they did... kinda uncalled for but all in all it both put on great shows

mmblack
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
i was under the impression that he was really excited to essentially be opening for jay-z. i think he genuinely thought it was a really cool moment since at the end he said "well i'll only get to say this one time in my life so coming up next is jay-z" with a big smile on his face.

Hicks
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Sounded to me like he was in awe to be playing the same stage as Jay-Z.

ElBlueblazer
04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
lcd's opening song.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5duY24Iwoc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5duY24Iwoc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ELECtROjan
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
i took it as he didnt think jayZ belonged at coachella let alone after them...

TomAz
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Us v Them
Drunk Girls
Losing My Edge (dedicated to Gil Scott-Heron)
All My Friends
I Can Change
Pow Pow
(bitching about set length)
Yeah
New York I Love You

mmblack
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
in retrospect he was wearing an all white suit ... just missing the hood.

braundiggity
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
He was definitely not ripping on Jay-Z. James was flabbergasted that his band was big enough to open for Jay-Z. He was super-humbled by the experience, I think.

A-Ron
04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Had some friends front row and said they saw Jay and James pass each other and give each other a handshake. They both are from Brooklyn, both got NY songs, both got mad love for NY, I always thought he was the perfect opener. I and my friends could be wrong though.

Hicks
Us v Them
Drunk Girls
Losing My Edge (dedicated to Gil Scott-Heron)
All My Friends
I Can Change
Pow Pow
(bitching about set length)
Yeah
New York I Love You

Thanks man, I guess I imagined them playing You Wanted a Hit. :D

He was definitely not ripping on Jay-Z. James was flabbergasted that his band was big enough to open for Jay-Z. He was super-humbled by the experience, I think.

100% agreed.

ElBlueblazer
has anyone brought up the giant disco ball?

SunDevil
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
That disco ball was awesome!!

grichsgang
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
But after JM said they had planned 3 but can only play 1, they played 'Yea' and 'NY I love you'. Was hoping to hear Daft Punk in place of NY. That was a weird song to end with.

They didn't. I'm pretty sure they were gonna play it but their set got cut short. Either way they put on such an awesome show, soooo much fun.

Of course, had he not been so chatty........

KickerConspiracy
04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
With the Jay-Z comments I thought he was mocking the Coachella fest, or the American audience's appetite for popular rap by putting them back-to-back.

FoxeyLady
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
i was under the impression that he was really excited to essentially be opening for jay-z. i think he genuinely thought it was a really cool moment since at the end he said "well i'll only get to say this one time in my life so coming up next is jay-z" with a big smile on his face.

EDIT: This^^^

send me ctrpllrs
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I was kind of disappointed by this set as well. I liked it during parts, but not others. I'm hoping I enjoy him more at Pitchfork, or maybe seeing him at the Palladium will make for a better show.

theripped
04-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Losing My Edge was an absolute treat. I didn't expect them to pull that one out at all.

Mucho Maas
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
"Yeah" was one of the highlights of the whole weekend for me....such a great tune live...overall I had some issues with the set, but fuck it, i'm going to the palladium to catch some more.

theGold
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Obviously you don't listen to LCD very much, seeing as nearly every one of their songs is James Murphy being chatty... that's their thing. Their fans find him both hilarious and intriguing, it is refreshing to see an artist being candid with fans, if only the Gorrilaz would have done the same.

Lol, I think it confused non-LCD fans. My friend looked over at me and was like, "Why is he still talking, when is gonna start singing the song?" Ummm... that IS the song...

mfnalaska
04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
They were my favorite set of the weekend, by far. They absolutely killed it. I know he was humbled by the experience of having tens of thousands of people dance their asses off for him, but he was SO self deprecating between songs. Maybe that's just how all nerds deal with nervousness, but I felt like he needed us to do more than just lose our minds for him... maybe give him the greatest group hug of all time and say, "Yes James, you are good enough."

elbrycen
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
oh my god, at the end of yeah, i was frying so hard, and all the lights went off, and my brain literally melted. holy shit that was a good show.

Hannahrain
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Literally melted.

ElBlueblazer
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
what did JM say before he asked for the lights off?? he said something about not wanting to be seen or something along those lines. lil help?

IlliniQ
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
They were fucking great, but should have been in the Sahara tent. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put Vampire Weekend on the main stage as the Friday subheadliner, and let LCD provide an incredible alternative to Jay-Z?

Disagree, this is their last tour...they should have been the Sunday Night Closer instead of Gorillaz

COACHILLA
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM

GOD why would you hurt me?

fuck that new song "you wanted a hit" would have been sickkk just loke "Pow Pow" was

They were great but in my opinion there long songs dont really go off well when you only got a 50 min spot

ZackQ
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
He was totally proud to be opening for Jay Z. And their set was great. That said, I think their set was better when they played in 2007. They absolutely killed it that time.

shermanoaksyo
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
$300 and I don't get to hear Someone Great?

Kidding (sorta). Great set. See you at the Palladium

thefrush
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Came in during Losing My Edge to get a good spot for Jay-Z, bit of a passing fan of LCD before, big fan now, they got me moving and generally just made me happy. Perfect opener for Jay, as already mentioned.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
My friends and I were debating this also. I thought it clearly seemed as though he was stoked about playing with Jay-Z. But what do I know

jgafs
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Great set.
'Yeah' was golden.

indietron
04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah was hands down the best song I saw all weekend

Zatzbatz
04-20-2010, 02:13 PM

No way, I would have been pissed to have that conflict. LCD into Jay-Z is one of the greatest concert experiences of my life and one of the reasons I went to Coachella.

Also, Jay-Z and Beyonce went to see LCD at Webster Hall a few years ago and Murphy shouted them out as Hip Hop royalty. Jay-Z is amazing on stage. Talent respects talent and he has respect for Jay-Z for sure. The DJ's in the tent, he certainly was ripping on them tho. "Is DJing really that hard, that you can't CARRY the fucking records?"

Cuddlesthesheep
04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
I got the feeling that he was being sarcastic about Jay. We will never know. :D

Gribbz
04-20-2010, 02:27 PM
James Murphy is extremely dry/sarcastic. He was stoked to be opening for Jay-Z.

miscorrections
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I was initially worried about them being main stage instead of in a tent (because the '07 set was incredible) but I shouldn't have been. James Murphy absolutely commanded that stage and the whole thing was so electric. I lost my shit during 'Yeah' and I'm pretty sure it was my favorite set all weekend.

Foucault
04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

He absolutely wasn't dissing; he is ver self-effacing and was rather blown away the he was playing the mainstage at coachella right before Jay z and after TCV

Foucault
04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

He absolutely wasn't dissing; he is ver self-effacing and was rather blown away the he was playing the mainstage at coachella right before Jay z and after TCV

SonicBluthe
04-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Such a great set! I'm so glad I got to hear "All My Friends". Seeing it at Coachella with a bunch of friends I don't see at all was just amazing. You could definitely tell who was there just for Jay. During Losing My Edge some chick next to me kept telling him to shut up and stop talking haha. Great group dynamic and I was loving the wine action or whatever they were drinking.

miscorrections
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
what did JM say before he asked for the lights off?? he said something about not wanting to be seen or something along those lines. lil help?

He said something like he would spare us having to look at him, because he didn't want to see himself either. I loved his banter and chattiness, it made me adore him even more.

Hicks
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
He said something like he would spare us having to look at him, because he didn't want to see himself either. I loved his banter and chattiness, it made me adore him even more.

Word, I thought the banter made the performance that much more special, I felt like he was really connecting with the audience which is no small feat for a band unaccustomed to playing a stage of that size.

Still-ill
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I wanna give James Murphy a hug.

Mr. Porter
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I enjoyed their set, but the lack of tracks such as Too Much Love, Someone Great, and Beat Connection left more to be desired

venturas90sgirl
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I loved it! I figured he would play Losing My Edge owing to the fact that GS-H also played. The group around me was laughing when he was told us he could only play one more song and chose "Yeah". We were all "hahaha stick it to the man by playing the 11 MINUTE SONG!!

Was hoping for North American Scum. Thinking it was the one of last 3 we couldn't hear but amazing performance.

SunDevil
04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
They were my favorite set of the weekend, by far. They absolutely killed it. I know he was humbled by the experience of having tens of thousands of people dance their asses off for him, but he was SO self deprecating between songs. Maybe that's just how all nerds deal with nervousness, but I felt like he needed us to do more than just lose our minds for him... maybe give him the greatest group hug of all time and say, "Yes James, you are good enough."

I think that's just how he is when he is drunk on Champagne, not when he's nervous....

Let's be honest, dude was wasted. Not that it made for a bad show, however. The vocals on "I can Change" were a little sloppy/slurred but I can handle that given the alcohol gave Murphy the fuel to belt out on Yeah and All My Friends the way he did.

drewniverse
04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Drunk Girls new video FTW!
http://current.com/entertainment/music/92387651_lcd-soundsystem-drunk-girls.htm

kayeM
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
i was running around dancing and singing yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, all night

penelopyssey
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I still can't get over "Yeah" it was one of the best songs of the entire weekend.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
^
Agreed. I was completely blown away.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I truly believe that JM was blown away by the fact that they were now opening for the biggest name in rap and hip-hop in the world... their "accidental group" had grown to be a huge hit. Hell, he's all but come out and said that this is their last album, so they obviously peaked at the right time.

has anyone brought up the giant disco ball?

That disco ball was massive. When they zoomed in on it at one time, you could read "350 lbs" written on it in Sharpee. That's a big-ass disco ball!

GOD why would you hurt me? fuck that new song "you wanted a hit" would have been sick

LOL! Sorry, I just know they've been playing "You Wanted a Hit" a lot, and I probably listened to it 50 times during the plane ride, and car rides to and from Coachella. I was hoping for "Dance Yrself Clean" as well.

I still can't get over "Yeah" it was one of the best songs of the entire weekend.

When I heard him say "This one is called Yeah" (paraphrasing) I first let out a sigh because I wanted to hear some of the hits... but once they started playing it and by the time they were finished, I was completely blown away.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2010, 09:28 PM

^
Agreed. I was completely blown away.

Thinking about it some more, I loved that the entire field, everyone in sight was going nuts to this song. Party time.

HunterGather
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
I reckon Daft Punk... was gonna be before YEAH, but they cut it.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Tribulations :(

Fortunately, I've got another shot at Sasquatch.

GnarVee
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
:mad:I really wanted Tribulations

CoachellaBlood
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
I generally liked their set but found Murphy a bit too chatty. Really wanted to hear "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House"

-______-

suprefan
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Im losing my edge?

http://i42.tinypic.com/6sfgxl.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/34r7jb4.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/16beexk.jpg

Yablonowitz
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I thought they carried the stage like a headliner would have. I can't believe people would want to cram that into a tent and expect it to still be what it was. The setting was perfect. The sky in the background. The screens. The everything. Don't touch my pristine memories with your filthy, filthy hypotheticals.

I concur. Loved the set.

Yablonowitz
04-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Again, another fine comment that I am in complete agreement with.

Zora350
04-20-2010, 10:49 PM
James Murphy saying something like "F*!& it were gonna play Yeah" and then playing that epic version of Yeah that temporarily turned the main stage into a rave might be the greatest music experience I have ever had. Pretty sure that is going to forever be burned into my brain

Grant
04-20-2010, 11:11 PM
I loved how he kept talking about Gil Scott, haha

jeffp1717
04-20-2010, 11:30 PM
fuck their set was so awesome. they need to come to Atlanta sometime around Bonnaroo, i need more but i can't be shelling out $300 for them. hell it would probably be worth it.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
fuck their set was so awesome. they need to come to Atlanta sometime around Bonnaroo, i need more but i can't be shelling out $300 for them. hell it would probably be worth it.

They are touring the US, check their website. I'll be seeing them in Austin in June.

jeffp1717
04-20-2010, 11:45 PM
They are touring the US, check their website. I'll be seeing them in Austin in June.

Yeah they do those two in Texas then Bonnaroo then head back to Europe. hopefully a winter tour after their album blows up all year

thatfinkleygirl
04-21-2010, 03:36 AM
LCD absolutely killed it. My only issue with their set was that it wasn't nearly long enough for my liking (and I really wanted to hear "Tribulations", but whatever). "Yeah" might've been the highlight of my weekend; it was beyond epic. I adore James Murphy to distraction and I'm so disappointed that this is their last tour. I'm seriously considering pulling out all the stops to see them in San Francisco this June, because they're not playing any gigs in LA and I've never seen them outside of a festival setting.

theGold
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
So many artists completely skip LA on their tours. Why?! I mean, NYC for 3 days and you miss the largest city on the west coast entirely. What about US? We don't get live tv, we don't get the concerts... what's wrong with us? :( And I'm not talking about just LCD, this seems to happen a lot with artists on tour that I want to see.

Mucho Maas
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
^^^ Um, they're playing the palladium and the filmore in june

theGold
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Oh. Nevermind. I had checked a site that completely omitted the two socal dates. Thanks!

Thisismyname
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
When James said something along the lines of... "So I guess we'll play New York I love you... oh Fuck It, we're gonna play Yeah." I screamed out of excitement so loudly I startled the Jay-Z campers in front of me. Ha. God what an amazing set.

ELECtROjan
04-21-2010, 11:53 AM

SF sold out in the first hour. Hoping they add another show in their 4 day break currently scheduled

thepoetblue
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I've seen LCD a few times and this was my least favorite performance. A few songs were underwhelming in the energy department but still, mediocre LCD is still better than a lot of bands at their best.

theGold
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
All of their songs seemed to run together...unfortunately, they played between the vultures and Jay-z...I felt bad for them...

They don't need your sympathy. :)

M Sparks
04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
All of their songs seemed to run together...unfortunately, they played between the vultures and Jay-z...I felt bad for them...

You felt bad for them because 25,000 or so people were losing their minds for them, but you weren't?

I kinda doubt they noticed.

shermanoaksyo
04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Is there a pre-sale password for tmrw?

thatfinkleygirl
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Ohh, my mistake; I didn't check the right website. I think they're playing the Fox Theater though, not the Filmore...

Does anyone know if there's a presale password for their Pomona show?

GrossMagic
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Presale PW = happening

theGold
04-21-2010, 04:31 PM
I have exactly the amount of the ticket left in my bank account. It must be a sign.

ELECtROjan
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Ohh, my mistake; I didn't check the right website. I think they're playing the Fox Theater though, not the Filmore...

Fillmore
HERE (http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/418476)

thatfinkleygirl
04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Fillmore
HERE (http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/418476)

Oh right, their San Francisco show. Hasn't that sold out already?

GrossMagic
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Yay! Who's going to the la show?

cansei de ser sexme
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I think I will.

theGold
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I am.

Foucault
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Oh right, their San Francisco show. Hasn't that sold out already?

Sold out in a matter of minutes. Damnit.

Sparty
04-27-2010, 01:50 AM
was SO excited to see LCD, unfortunately felt pretty let down from their set...expecting much more energy...I can see why a lot of people wanted to keep them in the Sahara.

However there were some great moments, and it was amazing to see Mr. Murphy do his thing live. I just wish they had played All I Want!!!!!

alisonnn
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
seeing them live made me love them that much more, i've never danced so hard and loved it so much completely sober! I need to see them again!

Subaru2Coachella
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
"yeah" made my weekend as well. "losing my edge" was stuck in my head for a week. i only knew one of their songs before i saw their set. now i cant stop listening to all of there cd's. i think they should have played "dance yrself clean" for their first song. either way it was one of my favorite acts out of the past three years.

aannddd i just bought my tickets for june 5th at the fox theater in pomona!!! anyone else going???

sooooo fucking exciteeeedddddd
i said a yayaya yayayayaa yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhh

meowlouder
05-11-2010, 04:46 PM
*raises hand*