PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Artwork

indietron
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Lets talk about this years artwork. I have very mixed feelings about the art:

- First of all, WHERE WERE THE TESLA COILS?! They are a Coachella tradition and the festival did not feel the same without them.

- That origami crane installation was awesome

- Ferris wheel was cool, but didn't go on it cause it was $5

- The spotlights were back! They did not go to the music like in 08, but they were still awesome

- I personally really liked the balloons

- Although I didn't see it at the fest, the landsharks look incredible

- The fire tornado thing and the light organs were HUGE let downs

- Loved what they did with the Do Lab. Plus, pointing the noise away from main/outdoor stages was a great idea

Strange
04-20-2010, 01:42 AM
WHERE WERE THE TESLA COILS?
WTF
WTF
WTF
fire tornado thing and the light organ thing were LAME

megatron26
04-20-2010, 01:48 AM
loved the origami crane! it looked so beautiful at night. I also loved the ferris wheel, though I did not go on it, but it definitely added to the panorama

Neighborhood Creep
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
The Do Lab was amazing this year. I agree with everything in this thread.

*SURREAL*
04-20-2010, 08:41 PM
bring back the Tesla coils , and the Serpent Mother .
this year the only thing that grabbed my attention and had me standing there with a smile on my face were the balloons sunday night , it was really windy , and they were blowing around , making me trip hard . simple , but it worked for me
the land sharks were cool , if people would have just stayed away from them long enough so they could roam around , people were practically standing right over top of them
OH YEAH , the party bus was BAD ASS ! my friend and i hoped on when it was riding through camp , and we danced on top of it . bring that beast back next year FO SHO !

JustSteve
04-20-2010, 11:48 PM
- Ferris wheel was cool, but didn't go on it cause it was $5

it was worth it.

wstsidela
04-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Land shark was really cool. WTF was that mirror & fire thing?

Corporate Cannibal
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
the ferris wheel was GRRREAT!

http://4pack.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tony-the-tiger-frosties.jpg

ZackQ
04-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Even though I didn't ride it, the ferris wheel was a fantastic aesthetic edition to the festival.

Cuddlesthesheep
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
The spinning mirror mind fucked me hard.

Madtapdancer
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
We rode the Ferris Wheel Sunday night right as Thom Yorke started playing so we heard the first couple songs of his set and got to look over the whole festival, truly one of the highlights of the year. I agree that the tesla coils should be back. Also how about next year we are allowed to sit under the Cubitron. On Sunday the fence was eventually broken down but we were then kicked out =(

BrettShipes
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Always love the work of Michael Christian

Forgive the HUGE image here... but...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/cafin8edpenguin/DSC03086.jpg

juloxx
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
-Balloons: They were off the chain

-Origami Bird: Seemed fucking retarded at first.... but this was before I tripped. Then it all made sense. Also, I got to climb it during Tiesto's set and watch the crowds from ontop of it. That was awesome

-Mirror was cool

- Bring back The Fire Snake!

eskamo951
04-21-2010, 05:45 PM
-Balloons: They were off the chain

-Origami Bird: Seemed fucking retarded at first.... but this was before I tripped. Then it all made sense. Also, I got to climb it during Tiesto's set and watch the crowds from ontop of it. That was awesome

-Mirror was cool

- Bring back The Fire Snake!

Were you up there during Muse too? Some guy kept climbing up onto one of the wings. I didn't have my camera, but I took some on my friend's camera. They may make it to the internet one day.

-I miss the Tesla Coils.
-The balloons were pretty sweet
-Wasn't too impressed with Harukan (sp?) the fire tornado
-Wasn't too impressed with the crane
-Lazer sharks were fantastic
-Still have not seen Hot Shot the Robot
-I'm not one for repeating art (aside from the tesla and hot shot), but I miss The Serpent Mother
-I was kind of hoping for a new bamboo structure.

mfnalaska
04-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I watched Hot Shot the Robot talk with an utterly amazed four year old girl, and I think he tucked his robodick away while he did it. High five, Hot Shot!

flowbee
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
The only thing I'll remember years from now about the 2010 art was the crane lit up at night which was my meeting spot (under the beak) and apparently 5000 others as well....

The ferris wheel should come back, it was a good idea.

Strange
04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
lol I finally saw Hot Shot the Robot! my Friend gave him a hand job. someone was standing there with a video camera, if you have it I'd love to have that vid.
The whole time Hot Shot was saying "My junk, there's something wrong with my junk, stop touching my junk."
Too funny.

juloxx
04-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Were you up there during Muse too? Some guy kept climbing up onto one of the wings. I didn't have my camera, but I took some on my friend's camera. They may make it to the internet one day.

Ha! Unfortunately I was not up there during Muse's set. Only for the second half of Tiesto pretty much. People were taking pictures of me though, which was funny.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
there was nothing coming even close to rivaling Serpent Mother and Hand of Man, and I think we were fucking spoiled having them both in one year.

I agree with most sentiments here.

eskamo951
04-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Um...I' just gunna say it now: Let's show some mad love to the Cubitron before they take that away too! I didn't spend enough time with it this year due to the crowdchella clusterfuck of people trying to walk on top of me, but I still love it and hope that once the crowding issue is resolved, we'll have it back and can watch it without being stomped on.

juloxx
04-22-2010, 06:53 PM
If Cubitron had a hole somewhere I would bang it.

eskamo951
04-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I think we all would.

anevaude
04-22-2010, 08:40 PM
The half-mile balloon loop was beautiful, and I loved that they were allowing people to help make it :)

juloxx
04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Whaaaaa? They let people help make it? Thats sooo sick.

I personally loved the balloons. They were probably my favorite work there.

JelloPuddingChat
04-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I wasn't impressed with much art, plus I didn't give it much of a chance since I entered the festival grounds sort of late each day and then it became so crowded that I didn't care anymore. Cubitron still rules. I love all the art that illuminates the night.

coachellalove
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
the cubitron is amazing, so glad to see it back. i really missed the surpent mother and the hand of man. those were two incredible installations. i loved looking up at the balloons and the mirror wheel was TRIPPY!! i think i had most fun with the land sharks on sunday night. i found them walking over to the sahara around 9pm. there was soo much open space and i got to chase them around for a bit. such an amazing moment. i hope the sharks are back next year!! :)

unit300021
04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Hand of Man was the greatest artwork that I have ever seen at Coachella, granted
I have only been to three so I might not be the best judge.

As for art this year a little bit let down. Cubatron is always great. Would love to see hot shot again, saw him my first coachella in 07 pretty early on the Friday, have yet to see him again. Even though I did not get to see the sharks, those sounded pretty great.

Also a little upset with lack of Tesla Coils, not that I am a huge fan of them by any means, they are just a coachella tradition. Hopefully next year if they come back they will be even better.

DFrank
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I didnt really think about it until I saw this thread but, you're all right. Last year was amazing with the Hand of Man, Serpent Mother, and Tesla Coils. Where did all of the money for the artwork go to?

Strange
04-27-2010, 10:24 PM
If Cubitron had a hole somewhere I would bang it.

Amen.

homEsick
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I loved the baloons. As soon as I realized someone was sitting there holding it and making it longer as opposed to it just being tied to a pole, I was super impressed. I want to try it.