PDA

View Full Version : Our experience with the worst churro of all time:

BrettShipes
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
So my girlfriend turns to me and says, "You know what? Every year I say I want a churro, and every year I end up not getting one!"

Now we all know the joy and euphoria a churro can bring, so you can understand how we were excited for her decision to indulge in, and share with me, one of life's many great pleasures.

So she skips merrily off to Mr. Churro Cart Man with her $4 and comes back with a funny look on her face and what seemed to be some kind of hard, brittle, sandstone-like shaft covered in cinnamon/sugar. "Well I paid $4 for it" she says as she takes the first bite.

CRUNNNNNNNNNNCH!!!!!!!!!

Now you may be thinking, "what, a crunch not unlike those cinnamon twists at Taco Bell?" No sir. I'm talking somewhere between overcooked bacon and old chalk mixed with the distinct grit one would associate with chewing sand.

Like a trooper, she managed to survive, teeth intact, ingesting this entire culinary disaster which was slightly less disappointing than wasting the $4 that could have been spent on 2/3 of a slice of Spicy Pie.

That said, I've always been impressed with the above-average quality of the festival food at Coachella, but this churro mishap was a complete disaster. We'll likely be sticking to Spicy Pie and Gyros from here on out thank you very much.

koliebo
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Nah, now I have to buy another churro next year, to find out if all the Coachella churros are that gross (I certainly hope they're not...)

indietron
04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but my churro was rubbery. I was attibuting it to bad luck, but this makes me think otherwise.

BrettShipes
04-19-2010, 08:33 PM
indie, what day did you get yours? Ours was purchased Sunday, perhaps they just kept the same ones in the sun all three days.

choice cat
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
i felt bad for people buying churros because I used to work for that company that was selling the churros and I knew they were not good. plus everyone they hired to work at their stands looked really sketchy/dirty/unkept imo.

koryp
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but my churro was rubbery. I was attibuting it to bad luck, but this makes me think otherwise.

Not bad luck, just bad churros. I decided to try one this year too and was greatly dissapointed. Thought maybe I just got a bad one so tried another on a different day. Same result. Verdict? 2010 churros=fail!

gaypalmsprings
04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
The pretzels were tasty.

frazzles
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
They're hit-or-miss. The one I had at Thom Yorke was fucking PHENOMENAL whereas the one I had during Deerhunter was extremely meh...

BrettShipes
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
So it wasn't just us, that's even more lame. I feel as if we've all been shafted. With churros.

megatron26
04-19-2010, 10:15 PM
haha I got one too, it was disappointing! but all of the other food I tried there was better than expected for sure!

Vic Viper
04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
my first churro was also this year.

it was a little chewy. moreso than a churro should be.

stepup2stepout
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
The churro I had from the stand by the main stage had the texture of a sun dried turd.

<3Tea
04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
did you give it to me? i was mobbing around and got approached by some girls who were ranting about this shit churro they got. they gave me it and said here it yours, take a bite. it was shit.

anonimouse
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
i figured it out a while ago after many coachellas and many trips to disneyland. churros are only good when they are fresh.

now i know churros arent fully prepared at the cart thing and im not sure what magical procedure a churro salesperson uses to prepare said churro, but somewhere in that process (re-heating them maybe?) a countdown begins. as the churro continues to sit in the churro cart it will begin its exponential decay towards extra crunchy/chewy suckyness

bottom line, if you walk up to a churro cart and there are a ton of churros sitting in there its usually best to just walk away

Wheres the beef?
04-20-2010, 06:55 PM
The pretzels were tasty.

The pretzels were making me thirsty.

shoegazer76
04-20-2010, 06:56 PM
The $2 warm waters were refreshing as well.

koryp
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
The pretzels were tasty.

:)Thanks GPS. I will stick with pretzels from now on.

Harrisment
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I also got a bad Churro on Saturday. Fucking depressing.

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
:)Thanks GPS. I will stick with pretzels from now on.

I also had a tasty pretzel that I slathered in mustard... while my friend Harrisment and his wife chose the churro. They were not pleased, I was.

sonnyboy11
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
I rocked a chicken Gyro burrito at that truck just outside the entrance on day 3. The guys taking my money were cool and I asked them their honest opinion of what they were about to sell me (they liked it). Took that sucker back to my hotel room, cracked a bottle of cold vino, and turned on some por... err Sportscenter! Really delish and recommended.

lickety_spit
04-20-2010, 11:19 PM
my churro was definitely stale. i figured it was an isolated incident.

joyanonymous
04-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I purchased one on Saturday that had a texture and taste actually less desirable than the mushrooms I was eating it with.

MassiveChemicalPunk
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I had one churro by the food court in front of the main stage and it was not that good.

A friend of mine purchased one by the Mojave and it was also not that good. wtf?

aguila26
04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
God, those Churros were awful.

TheClares
04-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Looked at the churros and passed. I'll go to Costco for a good one to make up for it though. Half the price, 4 times the size, and infinitely better than what everyone I talked to said about their Churrochella experiences.

Errant
04-22-2010, 04:26 AM
A friend was working the churro booth as a volunteer and said they were total crap.

dancingbee
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Yes, the churros were awful. They were rubbery. My sister bought me one on Friday night and I couldn't believe that I finished it. I bought another one Saturday hopeing and crossing my fingers that a different vendor had better tasting ones and ended up being disappointed AGAIN. Never again.

digitaldragon03
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
YES. I bought one, took a bite, returned that motherfucker and got my $4 back. The people at the stand looked embarrassed as i told them the churro was bad. The people in line for the churros were hesitant about buying them after that.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
The pretzels were tasty.

Yes, i CHOWED down a pretzel in like 30 seconds flat in a stoned haze on Sunday evening. it was all soft and warm too.

I was covered in mustard afterward though.

BROKENDOLL
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I've talked about giving a friendly gesture-like churro to captncrzy all year long around here if I were to see her at the fest,, and had I seen her and done that, I wouldn't have blamed her for knocking me over the head with it! That's saying something. One all weekend. That's not normal for me.

Now, the pretzels? We had to wait for them to restock their supply, but it was worth it.

elChurro
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Festival churros are more of a fashion statement, they're not meant to be eaten but feel free to lick the sugar and cinnamon off your fingers.

Brad Groux
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Festival churros are more of a fashion statement, they're not meant to be eaten but feel free to lick the sugar and cinnamon off your fingers.

Churros in past years were great.