PDA

View Full Version : Clusterfuckchella 2010

runaway_dreamer
04-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Here's a great article on the LA Weekly blog about all the fails this year:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/coachella/coachella-clusterfuck/

And for more LOLs, this article on AT&T coverage, as well as other points about fails at this years festival:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2010/04/coachella_has_an_iphone_app_bu.php

enjoy.

fpsphil
04-18-2010, 11:35 PM
next year i hope golden voice truely gets their act together if they plan on having 75k again, i think they were just unprepared this year

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 11:53 PM

And for more LOLs, this article on AT&T coverage, as well as other points about fails at this years festival:

enjoy.

Thanks for posting. Like they say in 12-step groups, "You are not alone."

Brad Groux
04-19-2010, 02:39 AM
My Sprint coverage was absolutely awesome. I was uploading pictures, texting, Twittering, Facebooking, calling etc. AT&T coverage is laughable in any crowded city, dropped them after the first gen iPhone, ugh.

Glad to see GV taking some well deserved lumps in the press.

GuyInTucson
04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
My Sprint coverage was absolutely awesome. I was uploading pictures, texting, Twittering, Facebooking, calling etc. AT&T coverage is laughable in any crowded city, dropped them after the first gen iPhone, ugh.

My Sprint Blackberry had ZERO reception problems.

That's why I don't have a freaking iPhone. The 3g is terrible.

wstsidela
04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Verizon sucked donkey balls. Un-fuckin'-believably bad. I hope their Coachella supervisor gets head lice.

Harrisment
04-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Ha, awesome. They mention the thread I started on Friday from the parking lot.

Baily99
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow....a post just to complain....EPIC FAIL!

Any and ALL major events that pull in 75K+ people has a LONG LONG wait leaving. Try going to a NFL game and leave at the end where it was a close game....you are going to spend 1+ hours in traffic.

DEAL people and stop thinking you are special or the organizers failed....when you have that many people and that many cars all leaving at roughly the same time....it means you wait.

I did the time in the car as well for Fri and Sat night...we had fun...even with the 2 hour wait...Sunday we left at 11:30 and had a 10 min wait.

Stop complaining and understand that if you are going to leave at the last minute with the masses....you will wait....big deal.

I've got NO problem with people complaining....but when it comes to traffic....you should have been smart enough to know that WAS going to be an issue and come prepared or left early.

luckyface
04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Wow....a post just to complain....EPIC FAIL!

Any and ALL major events that pull in 75K+ people has a LONG LONG wait leaving. Try going to a NFL game and leave at the end where it was a close game....you are going to spend 1+ hours in traffic.

DEAL people and stop thinking you are special or the organizers failed....when you have that many people and that many cars all leaving at roughly the same time....it means you wait.

I did the time in the car as well for Fri and Sat night...we had fun...even with the 2 hour wait...Sunday we left at 11:30 and had a 10 min wait.

Stop complaining and understand that if you are going to leave at the last minute with the masses....you will wait....big deal.

I've got NO problem with people complaining....but when it comes to traffic....you should have been smart enough to know that WAS going to be an issue and come prepared or left early.

Eat a dick.

Scary Larry
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Easily the most unprofessional and lack of security at an event I have ever been to in my life. What a bunch of fucking assholes who really don't know what they are doing. At points it was comical to how inept these people really were, they were absolutely clueless and classless. Basically, a bunch of flunkie cops that have too much on their records to be anything other than a joke.

One security guy actually gave me shit for not moving to the left quick enough when exiting the festival last night when there was no one even around me. Bear in mind I left early to avoid the crowds leaving. Needless to say, I gave him a little piece of my mind on what a shit company he works for and what a terrible job they did the whole weekend. Not like me to do that sort of thing, but I had enough at that point dealing with those clowns.

The douche bag crowd of the whole festival easily was the Tiesto and Deadmau5 fans, but I expected that honestly. Those people are so over the top it's amazing. The crowd crush trying to leave Muse and the people running in and being pushy to see Tiesto was infuriating.

As for the traffic, nothing more to add that others already haven't. Goldenvoice needs to get the traffic issues resolved asap, not over-sell the event and get security that knows what they are doing and less prickish.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
One guy wouldn't let me bring my water bottle into the beer garden because I might fill it with alcohol.

THEY SELL WATER BOTTLES IN THE BEER GARDEN!

Baily99
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Eat a dick.

Keep complaining...

YOU FAIL

boiseboom
04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Wow, Coachella #9 for me was a cluster f*ck! What happened? You guys were doing so well. The parking changed, Entrances changed, "wristband exchange", running out of wristbands, only selling 3 days passes. If you sold the tickets, how do you NOT know how many wristbands you need. Avenue 50 used to be a smooth entrance. We had VIP parking and were turned away because it was "full". How is it full at 4pm? A security guy let us go around and and through and guess what? Not even close to being full. Then we had to walk two miles for the wristband exchange at the general entrance. Where they searched bags at two checkpoints and sent us to the wrong place, twice. On a positive note, cocktails were available for the first time in the general public area. And... stop selling VIP tickets, it was much better when it was industry professionals only. But... I loved the Rose Garden VIP area- Thanks

Cheddar's Cousin
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Security wouldn't let me walk down 50 to the VIP entrance even though I had a VIP bracelet. If I had paid the $300 for it, I would have been severely pissed off.

zikade
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
This year was definitely the worst run of the last 7 I've been too. Everything about it seemed so lax. The good of this is that I honestly could've brought in POUNDS of drugs and not been stopped. Before the rule for me has always been whatever you can fit in your shoes/crotch. This year I could've just had them in my pockets like it was nothing. The bad is everything else.

lickety_spit
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
One guy wouldn't let me bring my water bottle into the beer garden because I might fill it with alcohol.

i've done this before. it was a bad idea.

i also entered the festival on saturday with a bottle of water & a beer can in my hands & was quickly ushered in. the beer can was empty, but they didn't know that.

C DUB YA
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Well - I think its time that I weigh in.

Many of you know that am a Coachella vet, going back to 99, so understand that my words aren't just mindless complaining.

I must say this was the least enjoyable of all the Coachellas I've been to.

There are many reasons including things of freak nature (volcano) that played a part but GV cant do anything about that. However nothing, can compare to the oversold/crowded issue we all witnessed.

I understand the need to sell tickets and sell out the fest. I was there when in sold out in 2004 and 2007 and this year was a zillion times worse. Why? We got word of more land, but that just went to camping and parking. Didn't anyone realize we were squeezing a fuck ton more people into the same space? Early Friday was ok, but when Saturday rolled around everything I loved melted away. Every tent and stage was far too crowded. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with getting there early or planning ahead when there are that many people. It just becomes one big cluster, You opt to stay put because going to go see certain acts is too much of a hassle in those crowds. It was just crazy crowded. You couldn't see acts this year, I know this has also happened in the past, but not every act at almost every stage.

Cases in point. Acts like XX, Girls, Ra Ra Riot, Hockey, Florence, Julian were so packed it made it them skippable. The crowds at the Outdoor theater, Mojave, Gobi and Sahara started to basically spill out to a point of blending together. It was silly.

So is this how its going to be? I hope not. Paul T always says things like we are keeping in mind the comfort of our fans. I say 2010 was an epic fail in that department. GV has obviously pushed to see how many people is too many? That number used to be 50k, then 60k, now 75-85k? Surely Im not the only one seeing this? Did you try to see some of those Outdoor theater acts? How were your sight lines, thought so. I was very disappointed in the way the things were handled, but I also chalk most of that to adopting new systems for 2010. Hiccups I can handle. The over-selling when it's obviously too crowded, is something I can't.

That being said. PIL, Mayer, Pavement, and MUSE were fantastic, and probably some of the thinner crowds we saw over the three days. It almost felt like it used to during those. Almost.

And did we have amazing weather or what? Wow.

megatron26
04-20-2010, 01:45 AM
completely agree.. did anyone go to EDC last year in LA? on that saturday there were 90,000 people.. I'm not saying coachella felt like that at times but it was definitely super crowded and that part was not enjoyable at all =/

weeklymix
04-20-2010, 01:47 AM
If there had been extreme heat with this crowd size and parking troubles it would have been fucking mayhem.

megatron26
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
oh god, that would have been awful

Rosemont17
04-20-2010, 08:05 AM
1. why close the holes on the tents... that made it impossible to even catch a gimpse at times...

2. they have to go back to 60,000. it was too crowded and uncomfortable cuz you are dealing with 15,000 more people... nothing against them, its just too many people and the stages were not set up to handle it... the outdoor theatre and the tents were fucking disastrous... i know bands will love the energy, but they could of had that with 60,000.. 75,000 was just too much....

3. i think the car camping was a solid idea and it will get batter i believe.. also expanding to a extra hour is a good call as well....

but all of that is great for a 60,000 ferstival... anything more is just not gonna work and hopefully they fix it.....

amyzzz
04-20-2010, 08:13 AM

I :pulse Sprint. I just wish their Palm Pre's weren't so glitchy. I love my phone, but I'm on Pre #3 now in less than a year because I have to keep turning them in for problems.

Egull
04-20-2010, 08:19 AM

I think I would rather not have service then worry about twittering and facebooking at Coachella.

Also,
I had a great time, but agree, I honestly hope they realize their mistake, because just walking from stage to stage took so long I missed a couple acts.

TomAz
04-20-2010, 08:33 AM

You are dumber than a box of rocks. These two sentences contain more errors than a George Bush cabinet meeting.

1. I have been an NFL season ticket holder for 13 years. I have attended NFL games in 8 different cities that I can think of. I have even been to a Super Bowl. And never, not once, have I had to deal with the kind of system breakdown that occured Friday.

2. 1 hour in traffic would be acceptable. 3-4 hours is a different story. Have you bothered to read anything anyone has posted?

3. Eat a dick.

TomAz
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Many of you know that am a Coachella vet, going back to 99, so understand that my words aren't just mindless complaining. I must say this was the least enjoyable of all the Coachellas I've been to.

I was there when in sold out in 2004 and 2007 and this year was a zillion times worse.

Cases in point. Acts like XX, Girls, Ra Ra Riot, Hockey, Florence, Julian were so packed it made it them skippable. The crowds at the Outdoor theater, Mojave, Gobi and Sahara started to basically spill out to a point of blending together. It was silly.

So is this how its going to be? I hope not. Paul T always says things like we are keeping in mind the comfort of our fans. I say 2010 was an epic fail in that department.

That being said. PIL, ... Pavement, were fantastic, and probably some of the thinner crowds we saw over the three days. It almost felt like it used to during those. Almost.

Hear hear.

TomAz
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM

enjoy.

I am really happy to see this. I was wondering why there was no press coverage of the massive failures. Now it will be hard for GV to tell us that everything was fine, there were no problems (which is what I fear they will do).

captncrzy
04-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Well - I think its time that I weigh in.

Many of you know that am a Coachella vet, going back to 99, so understand that my words aren't just mindless complaining.

I must say this was the least enjoyable of all the Coachellas I've been to.

There are many reasons including things of freak nature (volcano) that played a part but GV cant do anything about that. However nothing, can compare to the oversold/crowded issue we all witnessed.

I understand the need to sell tickets and sell out the fest. I was there when in sold out in 2004 and 2007 and this year was a zillion times worse. Why? We got word of more land, but that just went to camping and parking. Didn't anyone realize we were squeezing a fuck ton more people into the same space? Early Friday was ok, but when Saturday rolled around everything I loved melted away. Every tent and stage was far too crowded. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with getting there early or planning ahead when there are that many people. It just becomes one big cluster, You opt to stay put because going to go see certain acts is too much of a hassle in those crowds. It was just crazy crowded. You couldn't see acts this year, I know this has also happened in the past, but not every act at almost every stage.

So is this how its going to be? I hope not. Paul T always says things like we are keeping in mind the comfort of our fans. I say 2010 was an epic fail in that department. GV has obviously pushed to see how many people is too many? That number used to be 50k, then 60k, now 75-85k? Surely Im not the only one seeing this? Did you try to see some of those Outdoor theater acts? How were your sight lines, thought so. I was very disappointed in the way the things were handled, but I also chalk most of that to adopting new systems for 2010. Hiccups I can handle. The over-selling when it's obviously too crowded, is something I can't.

That being said. PIL, Mayer, Pavement, and MUSE were fantastic, and probably some of the thinner crowds we saw over the three days. It almost felt like it used to during those. Almost.

Well said, brother.

nerdmachine
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
what C DUB YA said.

designflaw
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
The douche bag crowd of the whole festival easily was the Tiesto and Deadmau5 fans, but I expected that honestly. Those people are so over the top it's amazing. The crowd crush trying to leave Muse and the people running in and being pushy to see Tiesto was infuriating.

Ah come on man... The Muse crowd was just as bad. As soon a FNM ended I was trampled by people pushing their way up. Every band had their share of dbag fans. It just happen when you get this many people together.

runaway_dreamer
04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
"10 Things I Learned At Coachella

1. Worst haircuts I have ever seen.

2. The Hollywood clubs funded a bus trip to Coachella, or so it seemed

3. Lindsey Lohan deserves everything she gets, don't fuck with me bb ( more coming soon, trust me its priceless )

4. No one goes to parties until 3am

5. When your in the desert all day do not take a bath. It will be the equivalent to laying in a pool of mud

6. Bars give Vodka away for free, yet charge you $4 for water

7. Do not eat Mexican food that has been sitting out in the sun all day

8. All the events with lines around the block are empty inside

9. People don't care about the music

10. Naked people on drugs are only entertaining in theory

Next Year I think I will pass on Coachella."

http://audrey.buzznet.com/user/journal/6920391/10-things-learned-coachella/