PDA

View Full Version : A Coachella without hipsters

Electrotek
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
So how was past Coachella events before the rise of hipster garbage?

Big B
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
There has always been and always shall be the ****** hipsters

Electrotek
04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
There has always been and always shall be the ****** hipsters

What about Coachella 1999-2005?

runaway_dreamer
04-18-2010, 12:41 PM
How about a Coachella without dirty ravers?

Electrotek
04-18-2010, 12:42 PM
How about a Coachella without dirty ravers?

At least ravers don't have a chip on their shoulder like hipsters do.

Not to mention that ravers are original.

Johnnynae
04-18-2010, 12:50 PM
what happened to the lush green grass & the chill crowd? I'm filming the sea of heads today and posting that BS on here. Also the hipsters this year (mostly girls - ages ranging from ages 14-18) are a whole new breed of RUDE! I do not know what planet they are from!

JustSteve
04-18-2010, 12:55 PM
i have seen way too many barely or not quite teenagers that look like this is the first time they have put on makeup...they tend to look like $5 hookers with how horribly that shit is applied. seems like they applied that shit in a porta-potty after mommy and daddy dropped them off :nono i know that sounds mean, but it's all that came to mind.

Electrotek
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
what happened to the lush green grass & the chill crowd? I'm filming the sea of heads today and posting that BS on here. Also the hipsters this year (mostly girls - ages ranging from ages 14-18) are a whole new breed of RUDE! I do not know what planet they are from!

Show them what's up by pushing into them. They can't fight back anyways.

Johnnynae
04-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Show them what's up by pushing into them. They can't fight back anyways.

I know I know, but it just sucks...I want to enjoy myself & not have to worry about crushin skulls

:rolleyes

Electrotek
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I know I know, but it just sucks...I want to enjoy myself & not have to worry about crushin skulls

:rolleyes

Like their choice of snorting coke, they have to pay for their consequences somehow.

blackantlers
04-18-2010, 02:07 PM
too many wolf t-shirts

liquidsnake28
04-18-2010, 04:02 PM
ravers are original

Brad Groux
04-19-2010, 02:49 AM
I guess I didn't get the memo about wearing a fedora... if you wore one, which is about 10% of you, you're not original. WTF does a fedora do that you would need to wear it to a sunny music festival? It sure as crap doesn't shade your eyes from the sun, it simply makes you look like an idiot.

Oh, and I agree hipsters suck... your style wasn't cool in the 80s and it isn't cool now. Ravers are annoying but I can avoid them by staying away from the Sahara while you no-bathing, old clothes wearing, holier than thou hipsters spread like roaches. Oh, and if you're a chick with hairy pits, you disgust me.

That is all for now.

/rant

GuyInTucson
04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Hipsters, Dirty Modern-Day Hippies and Ravers are worthless. Too bad they make up like 75% of the Coachella population.

Love the music of each, but the people can piss off.

CSUMB13
04-19-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't get the fashion choices of polyester in 90 degree weather..i don't give a shit if it's cool/trendy/ or makes you think you are either. agreed, as a first time attendee, i was disappointed at the abundance of people that just were there to hang out...On a good note, I went in at opening on Saturday and it was lovely. No crowds, chill vibe. Saturday night was insane. Some young girl, probably 19-22, actually got pissed at my friend as we were trying to move through the insane crowd b/c he stepped on her toe and then pushed him. whaaaaaaaaa. where some fucking real shoes. What did you fucking expect? 75,000 people = crowded. deal.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Seriously...Who wears black in the desert?

ih8gorognzola
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Only reason why I hate hipsters is because they push they're way up to the front of the stage violently, don't dance and give you dirty looks if you do, and say things like, "Omfgggg so excited, but not going to lie I only know (enter most mainstream song here)."

3eyes
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
my favorite quote of the weekend was someone saying to me and my friends as we were walking to get some frozen lemonade, "outta my way hipsters!"

joNaynay
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM

amazing, what made coachella coachella.
You felt why people were there MUSIC not a damn fashion show.
Sad for all of us that are there for music and sad that it was sold out to douche bags.

joNaynay
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
all i have to say too .......

aaaaimee
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
my god. i fully support this thread.

**KT3**
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Worst part of Coachella = fucking hipsters! I have never seen so many in my life, they make me want to punch things.

SubBass49
04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Sad for all of us that are there for music and sad that it was sold out to douche bags.

Indeed.

I made it 10 years in a row, starting in 99, but this was the first year where I said, "Nah...no thanks. Last year was lame, this year looks lamer."

Sure enough, TIME Magazine did a Coachella fashion advice article for this year. Looks like I jumped ship just in time.

/Have yet to ask my brother how it was this year...he took his GF.

quicksand
04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
So many complaints about hipsters all over the place. "Ughh, I just.. don't fuckin like they way they look and shit, y'know?" What about the drunk assholes? Nobody has a problem with those guys? Cause I'd take a group of hipsters over 6 grown men acting like they're at a college party any day.

How about every single person at Coachella is a god damn hipster no matter what now shut up please.

JustSteve
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
fuck, i hate to say it, but i agree with quicksand.

never realized a fedora and some ray bans can ruin someone elses weekend. you people are pussies.

sonnyboy11
04-19-2010, 05:13 PM

/raises hand

Look, it's not my fault the darn PiL tour shirt was black! It was the only color they had! =/

chiapet
04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Indeed.

I made it 10 years in a row, starting in 99, but this was the first year where I said, "Nah...no thanks. Last year was lame, this year looks lamer."

Sure enough, TIME Magazine did a Coachella fashion advice article for this year. Looks like I jumped ship just in time.

/Have yet to ask my brother how it was this year...he took his GF.

You're a fool if you've allowed the fashion sense (if we can call it that) of a percentage of festival attendees turn you off of three days of amazing MUSIC. It's almost like the anti-hipster contigent has ALSO forgotten that Coachella is first and foremost about the music.

I've only gone 4 years but this was by far the most consistently amazing batch of sets I've seen. Only one set wasn't incredible (though that was Sly and the wreck that set was, was sort if great in it's own).

mindro
04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I admit I was wearing cheap $12 Ray-Ban knockoffs. And I didn't realize how hip Toms shoes are apparently. I wore mine and kinda regretted it after walking onto the fields.

FoxeyLady
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Hipsters, Dirty Modern-Day Hippies and Ravers are worthless. Too bad they make up like 75% of the Coachella population.

Love the music of each, but the people can piss off.

yup

SubBass49
04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
You're a fool if you've allowed the fashion sense (if we can call it that) of a percentage of festival attendees turn you off of three days of amazing MUSIC. It's almost like the anti-hipster contigent has ALSO forgotten that Coachella is first and foremost about the music.

I've only gone 4 years but this was by far the most consistently amazing batch of sets I've seen. Only one set wasn't incredible (though that was Sly and the wreck that set was, was sort if great in it's own).

That wasn't the only aspect that turned me off, just a portion of it.

- The increasingly entitled/whiny/shitty attitude of the attendees last year really annoyed the crap out of me

- The lineup this year just didn't really excite me much. There were a few select groups I cared about, but most of the bands were what I refer to as "I-Pod commercial" bands. In other words, hipster bands. Very generic. Very boring (to me).

- Last year was exceedingly expensive for me and was such a letdown overall. Sure there were some great sets, but the overall experience has really declined from the early years. Apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way either.

liquidsnake28
04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
It's almost like the anti-hipster contigent has ALSO forgotten that Coachella is first and foremost about the music.

They're not forgetting. They're arguing that Coachella is unfortunately not first and foremost about the music anymore for most people there.

Johnnynae
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM

never realized a fedora and some ray bans can ruin someone elses weekend. you people are pussies.

Well maybe the negative stereotype comes from the fact that they also just happen to be the people pushing full force into me all weekend.

I really could care less what people are wearing, but when the rude behavior is consistent with the hipster attire then the stereotype begins. Let me clarify that it was mostly the younger crowd. So yes....the pushy underage girls desperately trying to ace their 90's get-up, zero common courtesy and a chip on their shoulder kinda do ruin it for me. Just a bummer :2c

Some REALLY wonderful performances though, can't deny that!! ---->Fever Ray, Orbital, Plastikman, Dead Weather

$ickna$ty
04-19-2010, 08:07 PM

It's ironic that your complaining about people who are more focused on what their wearing instead of the music itself, yet you're letting their "style" ruin your expirience. i'm pretty sure the way people dress doesnt determine what the music sounds like
dumbfuck

joNaynay
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
its not just about the fedora and glasses its more about their lame attitudes and how incredibly rude they can be. Maybe not all hipsters but definitely more than half of them.
bottom line we go for music and the sparkle in coachella the people and the great vibe. something was not there this year.

joNaynay
04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
It's ironic that your complaining about people who are more focused on what their wearing instead of the music itself, yet you're letting their "style" ruin your expirience. i'm pretty sure the way people dress doesnt determine what the music sounds like
dumbfuck

its not about the fashion its not what im focused on
its just not the same, that is all there is to say

indietron
04-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Exactly how I feel. If you people think that hipsters are the worst thing about coachella, then you are clearly an imbecile.

I would much rather be surrounded by fedoras and ray bans than drunk douchebags who fist pump on their bro's shoulders to florence and the machine

indietron
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Also, if anything, there seemed to be less hipsters than in previous years

aaaaimee
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I admit I was wearing cheap $12 Ray-Ban knockoffs. And I didn't realize how hip Toms shoes are apparently. I wore mine and kinda regretted it after walking onto the fields.

i also own and wore my toms. i didn't know that many people would be wearing toms too, but after this weekend coming home with no blisters made me happy i wore them. also they were suuuper comfortable all weekend.

untzcrate
04-19-2010, 10:37 PM

I agree.

Strange
04-20-2010, 01:51 AM
lol i missed the boat somewhere, what's a Hipster?

greenredblack
04-20-2010, 02:50 AM
I would also have to admit that I don't know the ins-&-outs of hipsterdom. Is it just kids who drink PBR & wear moccasins? If so: got it, I can recognize those people. But I have to say that in terms of style-of-dress-indicating-overall-attitude, there was a much larger & more douchebag-ish group presence that i noticed this year:

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo35/b8/cc/13f2e0e48c16__1271729141000.jpeg

SubBass49
04-20-2010, 06:23 AM
WTF does that tat even say? Is it supposed to be "Harris?" If so, they should beat their tattoo artist half to death...look at the mixed up capitalization and letter substitution!

HORRIBLE.

BROKENDOLL
04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
lol i missed the boat somewhere, what's a Hipster?
More importantly, how did they get Tom to give up his shoes?

No, seriously, I'm not exactly sure myself what a hipster is. I know each day I'd ask suffacated if I looked okay, and then we'd walk in and pass by someone with green hair, or dressed in an array of patterns and textures. Then we'd see a group that sported the safety pins and black look with their ultra pale skin, or the Indians dancing around wearing a headress of feathers. Speaking of which, did anyone see Feather's awesome feathered unicorn attire on Saturday?

I, myself dressed for comfort, but accessorized with candee bracelets that I had made for others in case I happened to run into them. Would that have made me a candee kid or raver? I've always thought that Coachella was the magical place where you could be or see all that is unique. I still don't get the pacifier attraction when you're in your 20's, but hey, it's Coachella, and for those 3 days, you can expect to see it all.

Electrotek
04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
So the only ones complaining about this thread are.....hipsters themselves.

Any surprise there? :rolleyes:

aaaaimee
04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I would also have to admit that I don't know the ins-&-outs of hipsterdom. Is it just kids who drink PBR & wear moccasins? If so: got it, I can recognize those people. But I have to say that in terms of style-of-dress-indicating-overall-attitude, there was a much larger & more douchebag-ish group presence that i noticed this year:

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo35/b8/cc/13f2e0e48c16__1271729141000.jpeg

i saw many of this kind. one was running/retard dancing around the sahara bumping into people and being an asshole. i was blown away by the amount of these and hipsters.

CrimesceneCookie
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
jesus christ. Hipsters are infinitely less annoying than 85% of the twerpy whining cunts on this message board.

ErikFlyingV
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
On Fri, I wore jeans and a white shirt (I underpacked shorts) and had normal aviator glasses. Some hipster douche, maybe 16 with purple glasses yelled to me while I was in line for lemonade, "Hey NARC!". I thought he said Erik so I looked, and they all kinda smugly looked at me. I go "You blew my cover" all sarcastically, obviously joking. And kinda lunged at them semi-aggressively.

They were fuckin out. I didn't know hipsters could run that fast, or at all.

And that's my irrelevant hipster story.

zooperson
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I never thought I would say this but, Hipsters were not the problem. Hipsters were out numbered 5 to 1 by Bros! There were so many Bros and Bro Hos and douchebags this year. I am a girl, I nearly got in a fight with a Guy because he was moshing with three other meat-heads during the Dead Weather and when a young woman asked him to stop he pushed her really hard. I saw this and as others stood there with there jaws on the floor I pushed him as hard as I could and i said, "don't fucking push her, man!" Then the meat head turned on me like he wanted to kick the shit out of me (another girl half his size). Thank God the crowd around took this oppourtunity to bum rush them to oblivion. I felt like a revolutionary! haha, but this kind of shit should not be happening. TOO MANY PEOPLE! made this year at Coachella an experience worth altering in your mind. I'm just going to focus on all the good and block the bad out like it never happened. Sad Day :(

If a hipster is a girl that dresses like a hippy and smokes loads of pot and take lsd but comes from a wealthy family that lives in a big house in the OC and talks like she never went to school then yes, hipsters do suck. but if you are mixing in the unassuming guys and gals who dress a little odd and spend most of the day by themselves and like to move to the groove then I would argue that these are not hipsters. At one point I turned to my cousin and asked if most of the girls at coachella got dressed infront of a mirror and asked themselves, "do I look unintellegent enough?" Is this what consititutes a hipster? It seems like everyone in this thread might have a different idea of what a hipster is though...

zooperson
04-20-2010, 01:47 PM
A better way of putting the question is; are hipsters the young ones who hang out in groups of 3-10 all day long and say "excuse me" as a snake-line of them push to the front, hand in hand? And then instead of talking in eachother's ears they talk very loud over the music when they have something to say to eachother (which is very often)?

damnvegetarian
04-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Sure it looked like an urban outfitters catalog there but who the hell cares. I'm not a huge fan of the hipsters either but for the most part they were quite. It was more the annoying ass "bro" crowd that pissed me off. I just cant stand those assholes yelling in my ear the entire time. I can forgive the lack of personal space and the body odor and the ironic/nostalgic t-shirts as far as the eye can see but don't ruin the music for me.

indietron
04-20-2010, 02:07 PM
A better way of putting the question is; are hipsters the young ones who hang out in groups of 3-10 all day long and say "excuse me" as a snake-line of them push to the front, hand in hand? And then instead of talking in eachother's ears they talk very loud over the music when they have something to say to eachother (which is very often)?

Absolutely not. A true hipster would sit there in silence or fiddle on their iphone. Which is a thousand times less annoying than people chatting

Brad Groux
04-20-2010, 10:27 PM

When you are standing behind people all weekend who's ridiculous wicker fedoras are blocking your view it becomes an issue. A fedora has no purpose in a desert setting, it doesn't block the sun, it doesn't keep your head cool, and it sure as crap doesn't absorb sweat... all it does is make you look like a moron and block people's view of the acts.

Next year, I'm wearing a 12" felt top hat just because I can... and the people behind me can piss off!

sbessiso
04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
fiddle on their iphone.

DUDE what is up with this?! how can people be texting or surfing the web during the entire set. why the fuck are you even there?

instinct
04-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Too be honest.. The crowd seems more hipsterish every year.. especially the past two.. Why would you wear tight jean pants in the desert?

Germnst
04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Hahaha at this thread... such a waste of time because 80% of the people there had some sort of "hipster" type fashion

GuyInTucson
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
This is what happens when you put people from different "groups" together on the fields. People start anonymously hating on one another. Who knows what I got categorized as. I just wore the clothes I have and an extremely old/faded UofA hat.

I also fiddled on my phone alot, but it was mostly researching bands I didn't know and taking pics.

I just didn't like the attitude of the hipsters and new-age hippies (especially in the campgrounds) and being a former raver myself, I look at ravers and just shake my head with how they act at times.

That being said, I would take ALL of these people over juggalos.

lexineffect
04-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Seriously you guys should consider yourself lucky. Come to any major festival in Australia and it is the biggest fashion show of all time. The worst culprits are probably the guys. At least 90% of the guys I saw at Coachella this year were in a somewhat normal tshirt and shorts. In Australia they will have tight tshirts with super low v-necks, matching headbands and there is always the no shirt fest of guys too busy checking out their pecks. They also wear super short shorts and are always rolling. I saw some guys dressed like this coming across the car camping field and said to my GF, I bet they are Australia...they were.

daxton
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't quite get everyone's beef with hipsters. What are they actively doing to fuck your shit up?

hacking my dreams
04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Whats worse than hipsters? Bitching about hipsters, you annoying bitches!

Mucho Maas
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
yeah, there were many other "types" that irked beyond just the hipsters...and i dont' know about all of this talk about a "rise" of certain groups, as if there were actually "the good 'ol days" - watch the coachella dvd, it catalogs them all from previous years....bright eyes fan club, candy kids, bros, 80s dudes, etc.

Errant
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
I really could care less about how the hipsters swarmed Coachella this year. It's what's trendy this year, so it's too be expected (even tho they think they are anti-trend). I did, however, not like having them push their way in front of me only to have my view blocked by their stupid fedoras.

cassett
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Also, if anything, there seemed to be less hipsters than in previous years

This is fact.... I saw way less hipsters this year than last year.

Also... I would like to know what kind of fashion sense these people have who bitch about hipsters. Do you have no sense of style? I can easily bitch about your style just post a pic. Im sure you look like that frat boy that was piss drunk in the beer tent.

aaaaimee
04-21-2010, 05:23 PM
This is fact.... I saw way less hipsters this year than last year.

Also... I would like to know what kind of fashion sense these people have who bitch about hipsters. Do you have no sense of style? I can easily bitch about your style just post a pic. Im sure you look like that frat boy that was piss drunk in the beer tent.

it's not about their sense of style. we don't give a shit about what they're wearing. it's the asshole attitude that all hipsters seem to have.

shoegazer76
04-21-2010, 05:35 PM
How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Its a pretty obscure number you probably never heard of it.

cassett
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
it's not about their sense of style. we don't give a shit about what they're wearing. it's the asshole attitude that all hipsters seem to have.

you guys sound like the jaded assholes here, not the other way around... yes, true some are elites fucks but not most... some.

It seems everyone in this thread is an elitist fuck with an asshole attitude.. So really it works out. You think you're better than them and they think they're better than you. Now you just have to thank most of them for the music you are listening to. Because most of those bands are hipsters.

Brad Groux
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't care what you call yourselves, just keep your ridiculous fedora out of my line of sight.

aaaaimee
04-21-2010, 07:35 PM
you guys sound like the jaded assholes here, not the other way around... yes, true some are elites fucks but not most... some.

It seems everyone in this thread is an elitist fuck with an asshole attitude.. So really it works out. You think you're better than them and they think they're better than you. Now you just have to thank most of them for the music you are listening to. Because most of those bands are hipsters.

ahahahhah you idiot.

homEsick
04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
To everyone who is whining about people whining about hipsters - what makes you any different than them? The same in my case pointing you all out. It's cyclical. You think they're immature because they complain about someone's style when all you're doing is complaining about their opinion. I'm complaining about you, but at least I'm willing to admit it. If you don't care, don't comment - it's very hypocritical. Me? Well, it bothers me so I'm commenting. I'm NOT pretending I don't care and that I'm more relaxed than everyone else because the hipsters didn't bother me.

Which isn't the case, by the way. Yeah they bother me. There's less this year than last year. Last year was all native american and 80's flourescent. This year was more douchey guys, party-onry types, and american apparel - which at least looks more "normal" than indian/glam. But the entire hipsterdom circle bothers me. I'm writing a novella length article on today's youth and I've been researching and thinking and growing constantly more annoyed.

"the problem with hipsters is that their coolness relies on apathy. there's no room for passion."

"they aren't a counter-culture. they're an over-the-counter culture."

"this is the first generation growing up in a society that is so saturated witrh identities that it is nearly impossible for us to create one without it being labelled and marketed back to us."

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-26-2010, 10:29 AM
People who think hipsters are somehow something new have had their heads up their assholes. What is universally known as a "hipster" might have evolved, but I assure you there have been hipsters at Coachella since day one.

Still-ill
04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
People who think hipsters are somehow something new have had their heads up their assholes. What is universally known as a "hipster" might have evolved, but I assure you there have been hipsters at Coachella since day one.

Exhibit A:

What about Coachella 1999-2005?

This poster thinks hipsters spontaneously came into existence in 2006. Pitchfork and other independent music publications have been using the word since before 99.

Egull
04-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Less hipsters=more tickets available for drunk douchebags. just sayin..

homEsick
04-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Them existing at all compared to the prevalence of them now are two very different things. If you believe them to be one and the same, you're extremely naive. I don't think many people have had to deal with the "annoying hipsters" this entire past decade. I believe what everyone has a problem with (and rightly so) are the mass-marketed hipsters that is the "trend" right now. Kids buy into it as followers, rather than founders. Hipsters of olde had to do more than buy a couple shirts and torrent some albums to their ipods.

Sure "hipsters" may have been around for over a decade (or over 6, actually) but it's simply not the same. Semantics. I'm not arguing about "hipsters" being around since the first Coachella, but the urban outfitters crowd is a whole new animal - a fad that will go just like so many others, but is the annoying "trend" or today.

socalguy100
04-26-2010, 12:17 PM
My hipster encounter: I'm standing at the rail and have been for 3 hours to see Sly Stone (who isn't going to bother to show up) when this dude and two girls walk into the photo pit and sit down. Dude has that rock star look, lots of tats, goatee, dark glasses, and an "artist" wristband so I figure he's someone but hell if I recognize him. The two girls sit next to him and start texting, continuing to do so even after the band starts. They could care less about the music.

Then one of them turns and notices how huge the crowd is and starts taking photos of the crowd. Artist dude motions for her to stand up on the rail so she can get a better shot, so she stands up right in front of me blocking my view of the stage entirely while she snaps off photos and videos of the crowd. This goes on for about a minute. I glance over at the yellow shirt, who isn't doing crap because he doesn't want to upset artist dude. Finally, one of the blue shirts shows up and tells her to get down. I give him a thumbs up and artist dude gives me the evil eye. I wish I knew what band he was in because he was a real douche.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Was she wearing underpants?

indietron
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't care what you call yourselves, just keep your ridiculous fedora out of my line of sight.

I will take fedoras over those gigantic pointed Chinese hats any day.

Example:
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/ku/q3/make-chinese-paper-hat-200X200.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Them existing at all compared to the prevalence of them now are two very different things. If you believe them to be one and the same, you're extremely naive. I don't think many people have had to deal with the "annoying hipsters" this entire past decade. I believe what everyone has a problem with (and rightly so) are the mass-marketed hipsters that is the "trend" right now. Kids buy into it as followers, rather than founders. Hipsters of olde had to do more than buy a couple shirts and torrent some albums to their ipods.

Sure "hipsters" may have been around for over a decade (or over 6, actually) but it's simply not the same. Semantics. I'm not arguing about "hipsters" being around since the first Coachella, but the urban outfitters crowd is a whole new animal - a fad that will go just like so many others, but is the annoying "trend" or today.

I guess I'm just so used to being around hipsters the last 10 years, spending a lot of time in Los Feliz, Silverlake, and Echo park, the area that is arguably the hipster mecca, that I don't really even notice them much anymore

shoegazer76
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I think vendors selling fedoras made more money than Goldenvoice this year. They at least made 22 million $ on fedoras alone.

Lynn163
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I will take fedoras over those gigantic pointed Chinese hats any day.

Example:
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/ku/q3/make-chinese-paper-hat-200X200.jpg

plus the sombreros and those giant brimmed sun hats that some of the girls were wearing....took up enough space for 5 people!

gaypalmsprings
04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
http://aliontheair.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/drunk-hipsters.jpg

Strange
04-26-2010, 11:25 PM
lol random pic

SubBass49
04-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Nah, I think it's the drunken hipster asshat with the Absolut bottle, pleather members only jacket, and the leopard print neon blue shirt...

pic related after all.

CellarOwl
04-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Moreover, how were past Coachella events before the rise of people complaining about some such bullshit about hipsters? Or rather, how were past Coachella events before these same assholes started using the word 'hipster' as a verb?

I noticed a large goth quotient at Coachella this year. Every single one that I asked, wearing long black skinny pants at 4pm under the goddamn desert sun said it was their first Coachella. No shit it was.

Gribbz
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Whats worse than hipsters? Bitching about hipsters, you annoying bitches!

This. It really does get tiresome.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
You say "hipsters", I say "people from LA".

Johnnynae
04-27-2010, 09:58 AM
You say "hipsters", I say "people from LA".

THIS

getbetter
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
I rather have hipsters than "bros".

Strange
04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Nah, I think it's the drunken hipster asshat with the Absolut bottle, pleather members only jacket, and the leopard print neon blue shirt...

pic related after all.

lol see how much i pay attention? i wasn't even looking at his cloths.
Just the retard look on his face, i was thinking "who gives a retard a bottle of vodka? not cool" lol. (not really but i did make that joke to myself)

instinct
04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Hahaha at this thread... such a waste of time because 80% of the people there had some sort of "hipster" type fashion

My Ghetto Ass Ironed T-Shirt at Coachella

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs377.snc3/24157_414622643242_541313242_5135491_6042657_n.jpg

Only a few comments the whole day, one was someone on the boards, another was a photographer for Goldenvoice who also thinks Coachella has gone downhill by just booking every new indie band.

SubBass49
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
My Ghetto Ass Ironed T-Shirt at Coachella

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs377.snc3/24157_414622643242_541313242_5135491_6042657_n.jpg

Only a few comments the whole day, one was someone on the boards, another was a photographer for Goldenvoice who also thinks Coachella has gone downhill by just booking every new indie band.

AWESOME.

homEsick
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
This. It really does get tiresome.

Or, once again, people who complain about people complaining about people.

rage patton
04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Hipsters have been around since, at least, the 70's.

randomh3ro1
04-29-2010, 01:09 AM

actually i wore a black shirt cheddar. got a problem. lol

randomh3ro1
04-29-2010, 01:18 AM

... not true. cause true hippies had kid. and there kids were sorta hippies but then they just had little hipster new age fags.

so the kids that were born 50s and partied late 60s were true hippies. then those hippies had kids. and they were sorta hippies. But when the 2nd generation of hippies had kids in the late 80s - early 90s they had little punk ass kids. who dress pretty gay. and act like hippies but are just little punk ass pussies.

so therefor should we blame the hippes.
nah i dont think so, cause i like some hippies. except for their smell.

does this make sense. im trying my best its late.

oh and if u hate hipsters that much. DO NOT go to williamsburg in Brooklyn. Stay away Its Hipster central here. Brooklyn hipsters EHHHHH. thank god you dont have to deal with them. their the worst.

MassonaBlackEyes
04-29-2010, 02:42 AM

actually the 40's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)

randomh3ro1
04-29-2010, 02:55 AM
lol i cant believe. they have that on wiki. hahah

CellarOwl
04-29-2010, 05:50 AM
So if all of the hippies turned into yuppies, does that mean hipsters will soon turn into yupsters?

betao
04-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Hipsters don't necessarily ruin the entire thing, but they can sure put a dent in the experience. For example, what would be more enjoyable: seeing your favorite band with a bunch of real fans who are clearly into it and know all the songs, or seeing your favorite band with a bunch of people talking to each other, taking pics of themselves, and texting on the phone?

imsorryforpictures
04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1n7kz5fPA1qbbnf7o1_400.jpg
#happycoachella!!!

suprefan
04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/1izq7p.jpg

Stefachink
04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
So if all of the hippies turned into yuppies, does that mean hipsters will soon turn into yupsters?

Yupsters? Haha, sounds pretty funny; I like it.

meowlouder
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
can someone give a thorough and intelligent definition of hipster? so that everyone is on the same page.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-30-2010, 06:24 AM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/pollypeachum/HPIM2007.jpg

greyasrain
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I do agree that there were way less headdress wearing obnoxious hipsters this year. And I didn't really mind them this year. It was just those annoying tweens making a chain and slithering their way through the crowd. And where was the "excuse?", if you're going to be a douche at least try to be a polite one. My boyfriend and I were waiting to see the xx and we were watching the band before, Edward Sharpe. Never heard of him before, but I guess people like him? Anyway...I think I might have enjoyed his set more if the group around us would stop talking and texting and bringing their friends in. Before Edward Sharpe started, one girl was like, "Oh hey! It's Alice in Wonderland" (commenting on his backdrop picture of the Emerald City) Then they brought out a bag of wine and started passing it around and going "You have to hit the bag first". I kind of wish I asked for a sip because then I would have hit them.

I want to know is why a lot of people looked like they were from the Jersey Shore? I didn't know guidos could read, much less sober up to buy tickets online. It was my first year camping and the guys next to us were the 'party all night and sleep all day through the festival' group. Why even bother coming to Coachella then?!

I also had a problem with those "fashion guide" websites asking to take pictures. One lady took a picture of me and gave me her card. I went online and it was something like "Coachella's hottest fashion and trends"...Great now I'm a hipster? I was just wearing what was comfortable, a hat, dress, and vibram shoes.

sorry. i'm done