PDA

View Full Version : Mismanaged Clusterfuckchella

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

HandBanana
04-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Too many people. Too little room. Can't get into most of the tents. Parking is the most retarded i've seen it in 7 years. The art is shit. The money is in and it is not on the field anywhere that can be seen.

Ehhhh.

JebusLives
04-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Yep, this is my last Coachella unless they buy bigger tents / reduce the attendance / bring back the tesla coils. Waaaay too many people. I couldn't get inside the Mohave for anything.

Brad Groux
04-17-2010, 02:16 AM
I was happy inside the venue, it is the getting in and out that is driving me insane. 1hour 20minutes sitting in the parking lot trying to leave now... and no end in sight as I've moved about 50 feet.

HandBanana
04-17-2010, 02:24 AM
The tesla coils are classic and they replaced them with a retarded tube that fire goes up.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-17-2010, 02:26 AM
this is my 10th Coachella and by far the WORST mismanaged parking EVER, my bro and sis in law never got in because security told them THEY RAN OUT OF FUCKING PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!?!?!?!?

luckyface
04-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Gv is going to have to do a shit ton to get me and my group back next year. All 16 of us are pretty much done after this debacle.

HandBanana
04-17-2010, 03:11 AM
It's amazing how they found ways to massively fuck up things they'd already been doing well for years.

gaypalmsprings
04-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Simply put...too many people & too many cars & not enough planning. Car camping & 3-day passes did not help on Friday. Let's see how Saturday & Sunday go.

TomAz
04-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I need to leave now (10:30) to make the Almighty Defenders set at 1 and the group photo at 1:30/2.

cansei de ser sexme
04-17-2010, 10:30 AM
If you played it right it was not bad at all. At 10:45 I left the house, went on 111 to DR. Carreon then went south on Jackson. Turned right at 52nd and got into the parking lot on the corner of monroe and 52nd no problem. then after we got out of the parking lot in <10 minutes. So easy.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Unless a miracle happens and we get in quick, I won't make the group photo :nono

JorgeC
04-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm leaving my house now to try to make the photo. Parking and lines to get in totalled 3.5 hours and coming out, security CLOSED the motherfuckin gate!?!!? WTF!! 90 minutes to get out. Cansei, thanks for the tip, ima try that today.

amyzzz
04-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Way too crowded this year & art is disappointing. I am SO GLADZ we're walking in this year so I avoided parking and driving altogether. I have some brand new blisters today thoug.

algunz
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm hoping the Clusterchella has been resolved a bit today and I will make it to the photo. I will do my best.

Bud Luster
04-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Tits or GTFO.

I'm at home today. I got nothin' else.

tessalasset
04-17-2010, 02:39 PM
We're sitting on 52 for 30 mins now not moving at all. Everyone is getting out of their cars and walking.

marooko
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM
If you played it right it was not bad at all. At 10:45 I left the house, went on 111 to DR. Carreon then went south on Jackson. Turned right at 52nd and got into the parking lot on the corner of monroe and 52nd no problem. then after we got out of the parking lot in <10 minutes. So easy.

The route we take. Now it's out. :(

MarkO
04-17-2010, 02:44 PM
We're sitting on 52 for 30 mins now not moving at all. Everyone is getting out of their cars and walking.

Wont they tow you all ??

buddy
04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
the two times I took monroe off take it wasn't that bad. Maybe an hour friday at about 11 am to get parked, which is to be expected with 75,000 people. Today came later maybe took 30 mins to get parked.

mindcradle
04-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Judging by the traffic tweets & now hearing about the standstill on Ave. 52, I'm really thinking about taking a nap and heading out around 5 to catch the XX. Please keep updates on the traffic going in!

wmgaretjax
04-17-2010, 04:16 PM
times like these i'm glad i picked ATP instead. hope tomorrow is better though...

marooko
04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
BURN IT DOWN!!! REMEMBER WOODSTOCK 99!!!!

Stefinitely Maybe
04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
BURN IT DOWN!!! REMEMBER WOODSTOCK 99!!!!

Yeah, I just saw a bunch of Facebook status updates, saying that the main stage is on fire. WTF?

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 12:06 AM
this is my 10th Coachella and by far the WORST mismanaged parking EVER, my bro and sis in law never got in because security told them THEY RAN OUT OF FUCKING PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!?!?!?!?

Friday they ran out of wristbands in the afternoon. It's in the fucking newspaper.

bmack86
04-18-2010, 01:43 AM
This will probably be my last Coachella. It's retained little of the charm that brought me here for the past 6 years and replaced it with 15,000 extra raver teens.

Stefinitely Maybe
04-18-2010, 01:48 AM
This will probably be my last Coachella. It's retained little of the charm that brought me here for the past 6 years and replaced it with 15,000 extra raver teens.

Even though I'm not there this year, all this talk makes me sad. For five years of my life - from 2004 to 2008 - Coachella was something truly magical. I hope GV can somehow work to make it special again, otherwise it sounds like most of us won't be back.

tessalasset
04-18-2010, 01:54 AM
It's not THAT bad to me. This wait in the parking lot is annoying and draining but expected.

algunz
04-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Today was a dud. I have higher hopes for tomorrow.

tessalasset
04-18-2010, 01:56 AM
Today was actually really freakin fun for me. Muse was unbelievable.

bmack86
04-18-2010, 02:00 AM
It's not just the parking for me. It's also the fact that the increased crowd not only makes it uncomfortably crowded, it also changed the dynamic of the people there. Gone are the super enthusiastic music nerds, replaced with scores of young jackasses. In the past 6 years, I've never been blatantly pushed or yelled at or dealt with flat out, intentional rude behavior. This year, it's been the norm for me interacting with others outside of the people I know. I've talked to people about bands playing, and they don't even know where the Mojave or Gobi tents are. The standard response: Is that the one close to the dance tent or close to the one where Jay Z is playing?

The music is still great, but the festival just isn't, at least this year. It makes me sad.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 02:05 AM
There was a dude pissing in a trash can just in front of the security check point this afternoon, and I looked at him & his friend called me a ***. I gave him a thumbs up. But seriously, pissing in the trash can right in the middle of the walkway, sheesh.

*** = f a g

djbionik
04-18-2010, 02:09 AM
No shit. It's Rudechella. Didn't their mothers teach them any manners? Yeah. I got pushed and stepped on all day. One girl next to me got pushed all the way over, and she yelled 'hey thanks, excuse you' and the four people that pushed her over actually called her an asshole, a bitch, and a dumbass.

Yeah, way to pick your audience, GV. I know I've been replaced. This is my 5th year, and I highly doubt I'll be back. This is bullshit.

Weatherman
04-18-2010, 02:14 AM
it's still not as bad as the mccartney fans last year

i'm dead serious

Brad Groux
04-18-2010, 02:30 AM
One of the great moments of Coachella past is just sitting down in the grass and enjoying tunes from all around with your friends. That has been replaced with, sitting in vomit, being stepped on, kicked and having crotches in your face the entire time because every place people are packed in like sardines.

Bosco
04-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Man, this thread is so depressing. You would think it would make me feel better cause fate made me miss this year. But knowing this could be the end of a great thing, hurts. :(

buddy
04-18-2010, 03:07 AM
parking is still what coachella has always had, but with 75,000 attendees, parking I imagine should be a little rough. But bmack's right about the crowds having noticeably changed. Since I've gone since 02. An article I read, and is obvious at the fest, put that a lot of people "just go to say they went," and that part is a little saddening. But coachella along with "indie" are the hip thing now, I guess. I can't blame coachella for taking the money, whether it comes from people who actually enjoy the music or not.

JoExSaN
04-18-2010, 03:40 AM
While I can't say much for others, I just wanted to let you guys know that a lot of us "new kids" are here for the music. Since this is my first Coachella I've been treated very well by both staff and attendees and I've been loving the music(a huge fan of the electro genre). There will always be that one jerk or asshole, just gotta learn to avoid/ignore them.

elChurro
04-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Madonna and Kanye West should have been your first clues that it was all heading downhill. Acts like Jay Z are there for a reason, too sell the place out and make someone a lot of money.

I've seen one band all weekend thanks to the parking, I skipped yesterday out of frustration and hope I can make it in today without any problems.

marooko
04-18-2010, 08:18 AM
One of the great moments of Coachella past is just sitting down in the grass and enjoying tunes from all around with your friends. That has been replaced with, sitting in vomit, being stepped on, kicked and having crotches in your face the entire time because every place people are packed in like sardines.

^This absolutely sucks!! That's one of my favorite Coachella pastimes. I love laying in the grass and listening to everything around me. It's really peaceful.

There was a dude pissing in a trash can just in front of the security check point this afternoon, and I looked at him & his friend called me a ***. I gave him a thumbs up. But seriously, pissing in the trash can right in the middle of the walkway, sheesh.

*** = f a g

Oh, so you can't write it either?....hmm. Then maybe Ally can't write ******. But the spics and kikes are still nobodies.

This all sounds absolutely terrible. I'm nervous to go next year.

wmgaretjax
04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
running out of parking... running out of wristbands. what is this? amateur hour?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
running out of parking... running out of wristbands. what is this? amateur hour?

among other things but this was my thought process.

MarkO
04-18-2010, 09:15 AM
This is really depressing.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
it's still not as bad as the mccartney fans last year

i'm dead serious

No, these are just like the Madonna fans in 06, which were worse then anyone else in my 10 years. I am dreading Gorillaz today, dreading. I really want to see their show but I don't want to deal with the traffic out, especially with all the stages being closed. We'll see how much of a bad idea this was in the end.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 09:28 AM
This is really depressing.

DESPITE all of that, the music and production this year has been stellar. I haven't experienced any major sound bleed. So music wise, it's been one of the best years so far. Everything else..........let's just say next year I am re thinking how I am going to do everything. No hotel, maybe RV camping, I don't know. I'll have to see what the line up ends up being next year.

I plan on sending GV a really nice letter when everything is said and done.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 09:28 AM
While I can't say much for others, I just wanted to let you guys know that a lot of us "new kids" are here for the music. Since this is my first Coachella I've been treated very well by both staff and attendees and I've been loving the music(a huge fan of the electro genre). There will always be that one jerk or asshole, just gotta learn to avoid/ignore them.

Joe, it was nice meeting you yesterday. I'm glad you are having a great time. There are so many people at Coachella, I only met Feather on Friday, and I only met you on Saturday. The regulars are just so hard to find this year, as I haven't hit up the campground yet. I hope you stay throughout the year & chat on the board. We aren't usually the negative Nancy's that we have been the last 2 days. You texted me when I was waiting in traffic, "That sucks." More things suck this year than usual, and not in a good way. The music, though, is still the BEST.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
^This absolutely sucks!! That's one of my favorite Coachella pastimes. I love laying in the grass and listening to everything around me. It's really peaceful.

Oh, so you can't write it either?....hmm. Then maybe Ally can't write ******. But the spics and kikes are still nobodies.

This all sounds absolutely terrible. I'm nervous to go next year.

You can write fags in plural, but not in singular. What about spic or kike? Nope - singular or plural are not blocked.

I'm going to go play **** pong.

jimmycrackcorn
04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
i don't like the crowds this year either... was way further back for mgmt and a few other acts than i wanted to be... when my group was trying to exit beer gardens (right next to outdoor stage) at the beginning of mgmt's set it was a flashback of RATM set... SERIOUS... it was a shoving match, no breathing room, w/sweaty drunk ass motherf@#$ers... as soon as we made it out of there we gave up on trying to get any closer for mgmt...

having said that i'm not gonna give up on coachella... for years they have steadily improved things... this year they tried some new stuff and some of it is REALLY nice like the ins & outs... the extra 10,000 people per day not so much... i'm sure next year there will be refinements and improvements to planning, training, and organization :)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Today was actually really freakin fun for me. Muse was unbelievable.

Muse was fantastic (nay Astounding), but it's obvious headliner wise they got the shaft. Shorten set and their graphics screens going out during Stockholm.
The band clearly enjoyed it though, and the crowd during Muse was very well behaved compared to past headliners (maybe the best? no pushing or shoving).

But once Muse ended and the ravers pushed in, it fucking killed it again for me. We were going to stay for Sia or Devo but decided to call it an early night.

Bonovan
04-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Bingo

bmack86
04-18-2010, 09:50 AM

How exactly do you avoid it when they step on you and then yell at you for it? And, there's never really been that Jerk/asshole before, at least that I've encountered. I'm glad that you new kids are there for the music, but (and I'm not attacking you in particular) it's the electro fans who have overrun the fest and are the ones who are being so rude. They E up and then it's all downhill.

captncrzy
04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
We left at 9 after FNM. We literally just couldn't take the zoo anymore. I actually am starting to question whether I'll be back. I've missed two sets already due to the crowds being too large (just not enough room to get into the tent). I remember getting to go lay in the grass in the mohave or sahara and just chill and listen to music, and it's just not the same anymore. Now you have to get into the tent 40 minutes early just so you can get in.

I can't imagine how bad today is going be crowd-wise for the Gorillaz and Thom Yorke. It's really depressing. Way too many people, not enough security to deal with the assholes, not enough cleaning people to deal with the pigs. Unless GV pulls the Knife or Bowie out, or commits to selling about 10k less tickets, I may just not come back.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I may just not come back.

NASCAR, baby! These events attract 100K+ people and traffic flow, concession stands, security, are well done, and improve every year because they want people to come back in this bad economy. They realize it's not just about racing, it's an experience. Come to PIR in November!

alterboy
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Lolla is MUCH better planned and laid out

captncrzy
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
My daughter volunteered out at PIR this year selling churros and pretzels (by the way, she only made like 10 all day in tips-tip those people, please) and it was NOTHING compared to what we've experienced these last few days. They had tons of traffic control and clearly marked entrances and exits. I left an hour early to drop her off and I was in and out of there in 15 minutes, even though I didn't know where to go. And they have 100k out there every day. AND, it's a one-way street in and out.

alterboy
04-18-2010, 10:00 AM
NASCAR, baby! These events attract 100K+ people and traffic flow, concession stands, security, are well done, and improve every year because they want people to come back in this bad economy. They realize it's not just about racing, it's an experience. Come to PIR in November!

I completely agree....Bristol TN has 170000 people for each race, and nothing like the traffic problems seen here....in general, in order to have such an event, most local laws would require comprehensive traffic control plans, clearly Indio does not have this.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM

my brother in law pointed this out, he doesn't understand how sporting events can have double the attendance and not have the major fuck ups that they have here.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
We left at 9 after FNM. We literally just couldn't take the zoo anymore. I actually am starting to question whether I'll be back. I've missed two sets already due to the crowds being too large (just not enough room to get into the tent). I remember getting to go lay in the grass in the mohave or sahara and just chill and listen to music, and it's just not the same anymore. Now you have to get into the tent 40 minutes early just so you can get in.

I can't imagine how bad today is going be crowd-wise for the Gorillaz and Thom Yorke. It's really depressing. Way too many people, not enough security to deal with the assholes, not enough cleaning people to deal with the pigs. Unless GV pulls the Knife or Bowie out, or commits to selling about 10k less tickets, I may just not come back.

I think I've already decided this :(
I am hoping today turns for the better but we'll see.

algunz
04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
This is ALGUNZ's brother needing to chime in... first of all i found a nice little Mexican restaurant at the corner of Jackson and 48th (not the taco bell). I have been going to this festival for the last 8 years and today I find myself saddened by what it has become. My wife and I left last night at 10:30, as we walked out we kept asking ourselves are we too old for this, what happened? Got home at 11 pm, watched the lights from Coachella, took a shower, ate my torta, and turned on SNL. I honestly must say I was not unahappy to be where we were. For some reason even the $7 beers taste bad...that has never , ever hapened before.

Stefinitely Maybe
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I was just looking at some photos from the fest and I barely even recognise it as Coachella. It was just endless crowds and trash; I could barely even see the polo fields any more. Are there seriously no Tesla coils this year??? Also I saw a pinball tent, an H&M store, a State Farm block party, and a sh#tload of other consumerist stuff.

Then, just now, this appeared on the official Coachella Facebook feed:

Coachella: Visit PlayStation HQ & SonyPlayCreateShare. Rent a #sonybloggie 2 capture your moments & win VIP passes. More u play, more chances to win!

No acknowledgement of any of the problems people are facing, or of how they might be trying to sort them out.

Really, really depressing.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 11:12 AM
The corporate banners are much more obvious this year. Maybe that's what happened, the sponsors probably wanted a bigger audience and that's what they got.

TomAz
04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
my brother in law pointed this out, he doesn't understand how sporting events can have double the attendance and not have the major fuck ups that they have here.

Sporting venues have better infrastructures and are generally not held in residential neighborhoods. The roads in and out of the polo grounds were stressed at prior attendance levels; I think now it's gone over the tipping point.

TomAz
04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
No acknowledgement of any of the problems people are facing, or of how they might be trying to sort them out.

This will likely be a key factor in my decision whether or not to attend next year. GV has earned enough goodwill in my book to be given a second chance.. if they acknowledge and try to fix the problems.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm interested to see what more of the regular posters say after they return from the festival, I'd like to see their take is as well. I really thought after Friday I would be in the minority regarding my feelings about this year, I was surprised to see a lot of the vets felt the same way.

EDIT: typos galore.

Stefinitely Maybe
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4531426483_b142e32d2c_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/4531426509_407045e7b0_o.jpg

MarkO
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
They sold 75k tickets. Why would they want to fix the problem ? They got their $.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/clusterfuck.jpg

Weatherman
04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
"i thought u were the new burning man"

thank god they aren't

Stefinitely Maybe
04-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Just posted:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4532311822_0ab81d3bbd_o.jpg

JustSteve
04-18-2010, 12:50 PM

in a huge city, hotels all around within walking distance, public transportation, etc. versus a polo field in the middle of the desert surrounded by 2 lane roads where they basically have to set up a whole city's worth of infrastructure. not really comparable...

drowningmatt
04-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Inside the fest is fine, except the overcrowding which I can deal with, but camping is horrible. 11 total showers trucks, what the hell?

liquidsnake28
04-18-2010, 01:20 PM
in a huge city, hotels all around within walking distance, public transportation, etc. versus a polo field in the middle of the desert surrounded by 2 lane roads where they basically have to set up a whole city's worth of infrastructure. not really comparable...

Bonnaroo is MUCH better planned and laid out. Actually every camping festival is. This sounds like it was the worst planned fest in history besides maybe Woodstock 99.

BROKENDOLL
04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm interested to see what more of the regular posters say after they return from the festival, I'd like to see their take is as well. I really thought after Friday I would be in the minority regarding my feelings about this year, I was surprised to see a lot of the vets felt the same way.

EDIT: typos galore.
Okay, I wasn't gonna think about this message board this weekend, but I have thought of many of you during the experience so far. I know the serious music nerds are upset because of the crowd size and inability to get from stage to stage in time to see your well planned schedules of acts. And, I know the campers are probably a little peeved because sure, we had the comfort of having your cars right there, but the porta potties and showers were not. (Is it really true that the shower lines took 3-4 hours?) We ended up going home for our showers each morning which is very fortunate.(And stupid when you consider I had to take my packed shower stuff back and forth.) But, I can see where those of you without the convenience would be upset and I can't blame you. Chalk it up to "change," something that many people, including myself, find hard to adjust to sometimes. But, with the new changes and a sellout, I pretty much knew and even told Devin and Frozen Pilgrim that be prepared for a clusterfuck of a weekend before we even left for the festival. Perhaps that's why I'm having a hard time staying upset...You just have to go with the flow and expect the unexpected, and with 75,000 people a day, the unexpected is gonna be in full force. I'm sure Paul T has had his share of complaints, but keep in mind that over the yeras, any previous complaints were generally taken care of and adjusted for the next year. Like a high performance car that gets a new design, this years flaws will most likely be top priority for concern before next year. You don't always win when you roll the dice, but you learn...

betao
04-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Getting to and from the fest on day 1 was horrible. Took 2 hours to get in and 2.5 hours to get out (may have been longer). Mind you, its only a 15 minute drive from our place to the fest. However, on day 2 it was much better both ways. Let's see what happens on day 3.

There a ton more douchebag kids this year than the past 2 years I've been. Like I said in the PiL thread - it shows with the bands that play. Getting easy spots for Echo/Bunnymen and especially PiL was very very easy. The tents for alot of acts are just overflowing. I was going to decide between Yorke and Plastikman, but I'm definitely going with Plastikman - fuck trying to put up with 50,000 of these people.

I'm sure I'll be back next year, but I know that if GV goes the same route and keeps the attendance THIS high, I won't look forward to it nearly as much.

Stefinitely Maybe
04-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Like a high performance car that gets a new design, this years flaws will most likely be top priority for concern before next year.

Right, but the point being made here, BD, is that you shouldn't start selling the car to consumers before you've tested it to make sure it's roadworthy.

ie_guy
04-18-2010, 03:16 PM
..You just have to go with the flow and expect the unexpected, and with 75,000 people a day, the unexpected is gonna be in full force. I'm sure Paul T has had his share of complaints, but keep in mind that over the yeras, any previous complaints were generally taken care of and adjusted for the next year. Like a high performance car that gets a new design, this years flaws will most likely be top priority for concern before next year. You don't always win when you roll the dice, but you learn...

I fully agree in theory but completely disagree in practice. I have attended every single Coachella and every single year the flow into the event in the morning and the parking lots leaving at night are completely disorganized, and every year people chalk it up to "learning curves" and hope "next year will be better". I'm an adult and understand life is full of compromises and nothing is ever perfect , but FVCK come on when the compromise to enjoying a $300 festival involves, spending upwards of 7 hours sitting/standing in lines in and out of cars every single day, then something has NOT been learned nor implemented by the organizers. How many more years is it going to take Goldenvoice to "learn" that they need better traffic and parking planning?

Sleepingrock
04-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I am so happy I spent my money on travelling Central America instead of Coachella this year..... Such a bummer to hear about though, I really want to go back but man..... :(

buddy
04-18-2010, 03:56 PM
not to bring down the clusterfuck coachella thread, but it's been fine for me. Besides the large crowds, parkings been okay for me. Took me 20 minutes to 30 minutes to get out friday. Sat and today I parked off site, after reading articles, just to be safe. I understand there's been problems, but it's not that way for everyone. I imagine paul t will bring down the attenance after hearing about the issues, though.

Sexecutioner
04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
this thread makes me sad. we biked from our hotel to the venue, so thank god we didnt have to deal with the parking clusterfuck. i still had a great time just because i saw so many incredible acts so far, but man...the crowds are very close to overshadowing that, which is saying alot.

GV has earned enough goodwill in my book to be given a second chance.. if they acknowledge and try to fix the problems.

this is how i feel. they really fucked up this year. but it seems like GV and Paul T. have always listened to our input as fans about what we do and dont like, and i really want to have faith that they will see what a bad move they made this year by selling out and try to correct it. hopefully they can fight the corporate power and bring it back to what made it so great before.

i must say though, musically i have seen some really great sets this weekend. if you can just make peace with the crowds (not easy to do), the lineup is pretty epic. i do agree with whoever said the art sucks this year. nothing thats really made me say wow. bring back the tesla coils and the fire dragon. i dont care if its a repeat, the dragon was the best installation ever.

bottom line: go back to 60k capacity, and hire people who know what theyre doing for security and traffic, etc.

marooko
04-18-2010, 04:36 PM
The corporate banners are much more obvious this year. Maybe that's what happened, the sponsors probably wanted a bigger audience and that's what they got.

Exactly what happened. The fact that you paid is the only thing that really matters. That happened months ago for the majority.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 10:55 PM
OK, my last story. I decide to leave at 9:30 pm tonight (Sunday), because of the Sly Stone fiasco. As I was leaving, 2 security guards were giving grief to an attendee, because for some reason he did not have his wristband. I didn't listen long enough to hear what the story was, but Jesus Fucking Christ, it's 9:30 on a Sunday, the dude was obviously just a guy returning to the fest, not trying to sneak in. The fellow was really distraught. So I take my very loose wristband off and hand it to the guy. The guy looked a bit surprised, especially when the 2 guards said "OK. You can go in now."

I mean, they were picking on one person who was completely desperate, when security had otherwise been lax all weekend. And there were only 2 1/2 hours left at the fest. Then a non-transferable wristband was handed to him & problem solved. Sheesh!

MarkO
04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow, just wow.

PF must be dreading coming back to the boards.

marooko
04-18-2010, 11:21 PM
you all are painting a horrible picture.

CSUMB13
04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Inside the fest is fine, except the overcrowding which I can deal with, but camping is horrible. 11 total showers trucks, what the hell?
my camping neighbor was in line for a shower from 6:30 a.m. and didn't get back to tent until 11:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She said they ran out of water right as she got to the entrance, no organization for lines, AND someone actually was using the time to wax!!!! WTF..give people 3 minutes and cut the water off. UNF$%^&* BELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, I left after walking up at 7:30 and seeing the clusterfck, but that is crazy! FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Sly did a wonderful job on the Webcast! I hope you didn't miss it!

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Well they did something right tonight. It took us 20 mins to get home. 5 mins to get out of the parking lot.

RecycleYourPets
04-19-2010, 02:18 AM
never had any trouble getting in but leaving coachella has been the WORST in the 9 years ive attended. good lord. they didnt even have someone directing traffic from the two upper lots and we had to drive through god knows what backcountry parking lot through a hole in a fence to get out

J~$$$$
04-19-2010, 08:30 AM
hahahaha feels good man.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Coachella I love you but you're bringing me down.

downingthief
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow...reading all this really bums me out. Still not glad I didn't go, but I truly am sorry that all of you had such issues. A friend of mine sent me this article today (not sure if anyone has posted it yet):

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coachella-20100419,0,3158474.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+latimes/mostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories)

GV has signed up for the long haul, so hopefully there will be some improvements. I do agree that 75k would be way too many people for the grounds. Maybe there will be some expansion to cover that (if they decide to go that many again).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Coachella gets a new lease and tells their long term fans that kept them alive during the bad times to fuck off.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 09:26 AM
So TCHY, was I still right to skipchella?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM
So TCHY, was I still right to skipchella?

Give me a few days to think about it. I'm leaning more towards yes, since a lot of the acts could've been seen in SF (albeit for more $$$) but in a much better setting and longer sets. I think only Fever Ray and Gorillaz were the only things you would've missed for san franchella.

I really wanted to see Fever Ray so it was worth it to me on that end I guess. (her show was just stellar). Gorillaz were mehsville in my book, but its because it was too crowded and sounded like shit from the back (at least that is what I'm telling myself).

EDIT: BY much better setting I mean NOT over crowded and with people that are there to watch the show and not there to be seen.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Wow.

I'm really sorry for everyone and the problems they faced. :( Not good, not good, not good.

captncrzy
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok, so yeah.

Left the festival, chatted with some people. Got to the car around 1. They weren't letting cars out of the lot. Security came around and said Indio PD weren't letting people leave until things "calmed down".

They didn't open the lot until after two; we got out onto the street and the streets were totally empty.

As far as the logistics of a bunch of one-way streets around the venue:

1) The city of Indio has had 10 years to figure this shit out. 10 years.

2) These festivals bring in millions to the city. The city hasn't bothered to improve the roads around the festival?

3) PIR-100.000+ race fans per day; race track out in southwest Phoenix in a growing neighborhood that is comparable to Indio or Palm Desert...the entrance in and out? A two-lane 50 mile an hour highway. The difference? More security, more police, and a city that takes the millions they've made from the races and put it back into the races.

Sorry-I realize this stuff isn't Goldenvoices fault-I just can't believe the idiots that run this town haven't figured out how to handle it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I just don't get it either. I said the same thing. This is their 11th year and they still can't get the parking right.

bleep
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
trash-chella. stress-chella. hell-chella.

you should see how many white hairs i sprouted over the weekend. the sets i saw were mostly awesome though, but the crowd overshadowed everything.

Boourns
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Musically, it was the best coachella ever.

In terms of crowds, clusterfucking, band after band on inappropriate stages, half as many showers for twice as many campers, and general comfort, vibe, enjoyment, and safety? The worst.

Weather was gorgeous and toilets were cleaner than usual, I must add.

summerkid
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
It was overcrowded especially the outdoor theatre, but once I figured how to work the crowds I was able to get prime spots for The Specials, TCV, The Dead Weather, Orbital, Gorillaz and LCD Soundsystem as far as the big names are concerned. As long as you got their around 30 minutes before an act went on you were fine. You just had to cut your losses at times and you can't show up 10 minutes before someone is playing a stage (esp the mojave and outdoor theatre) and expect to see them. There is a part of me that feels the same way you all do. The crowd did seem different, but I blame Tiesto and MGMT for that. I wouldn't write off next year because of their fanbase.

summerkid
04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Musically, it was the best coachella ever.

In terms of crowds, clusterfucking, band after band on inappropriate stages, half as many showers for twice as many campers, and general comfort, vibe, enjoyment, and safety? The worst.

if you took a shower at night, the lines were minimal.

kitt kat
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Damn. Those are some fightin' words there.

I'm trying to find the best thread to express how hearing about Coachella from the outside world was like...Maybe just here. All weekend, all I heard about were long times, too many people, being turned away at the door, traffic that caused a friend of mine to be off the freeway at 3pm and parked at 10pm...

I'm really sad it wasn't a good year. I am so tempted to say, "Told ya so," but honestly...I feel really bad after reading statements like Bryan's. I wish it could have gone smoothly, and you'd think about 10 years of doing this, they'd know to have security and parking and entrance down to a fucking science.

Sorry, bros. I really am.

If this is true, I feel like crying.

Boourns
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah why watch thom yorke and fever Ray when you can shower instead? Way better than getting up when the sun heats up the tent, waiting 30-60 minutes for a shower, and then going inside.

Actually I missed all of mgmt and most of muse for my one shower of the weekend.

thestripe
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM

No, Bryan!. I felt this way last year. I took this year off and am more than ready to return. Though, the stories from this year are frightning. What the fuck happened out there?

Cheddar's Cousin
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
The crotchface part was true.

I never sat in any vomit.

There was some kicking and stepping on too.

Having a place within walking distance solves what seems to be one of the biggest complaints.

Boourns
04-19-2010, 01:33 PM
People at camp were stupid and broke my tent. It was completely flat by sunday night. I know car camping means fewer aisles for walking, but that's no excuse to just lazily stomp through everything. It's not like my tent was even large (7x7) and I am clumsy and uncoordinated as fuck and was able to get around without stomping on it.

Yeah, so many drunk bros and rolling electro tweens. Can we put these people in a mass grave already?

summerkid
04-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah why watch thom yorke and fever Ray when you can shower instead? Way better than getting up when the sun heats up the tent, waiting 30-60 minutes for a shower, and then going inside.

Actually I missed all of mgmt and most of muse for my one shower of the weekend.

took showers at 1:30 each night...Saw FEver Ray and Thom Yorke and got my shower in.

hegemon
04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
so sorry for some folks here but yeah, the wait in the shower at campsite is my biggest/only issue (though luckily, it is just 1 to 1 1/2 hour total wait each day for me - not that bad ... the wait is so worth it! lol) - I enjoyed and had no problem with everything else.

Boourns
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
The water program was also much better this year. Never a real line for refills.

whynotsmile99
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I have to agree with most of the comments here. This was easily my least favorite Coachella. Still had a great weekend, saw some amazing sets but I honestly can see myself taking a break on it next year. Perhaps it's just the magic has gone after going 5 years straight.

For my friends and I, the car search was awful. 2 hours, barely moving. We got stuck with two security ladies who had never searched a car before. THey were being followed by a tough guy cop trying to shake us all down. They wanted to impress the cop which led to them going to measures like pulling my flashlight from the trunk and opening the battery compartment. Our situation was shitty, i heard it was far easier for others.

Overall car camping worked well. I really loved being able to go in and out of the campgrounds of course. big change and it worked well. i kept myself in better shape (no burn, heat exhaustion or allergies) because I could go back and hang out in the shade and relax a bit with a cold beer and water close by.

No comment on showers. People who would wait in line for 3 hours to take a shower at Coachella is insane. 3 days without a shower is really not a big thing, still is ridiculous how few they had.

Lack of art was really shitty this year. There was just...nothing. recycled stuff and nothing to interact with. I couldn't believe it. Cutting out the art to make room for 15,000 people killed the soul of the place a bit.

Yea, it was crowded as hell. and didn't we read Indio would have allowed Goldenvoice to sell 85,000 tickets? That would have led to riots.

The vibe was bro bro bro this year big time.

Schedule was all fucked up this year, though i guess a big part of that was the volcono. still would have been niced to know Talvin Singh would not be there in advance. Guess a sharpie on the big board is too much for them.

campgrounds were fun. loved the swings. Me and a few guys got a pretty good parade going but it was nothing like ones in years past. maybe car camping had something to do with it. Sunday was a bummer. i was walking thorough the campgrounds looking for a party, hooked up with a nice size little dance party going down. i leave for about 15 minutes, come back and the cops had swooped down on the group. i didn't see it, but guys where shoved into cars with clubs. Cops started yelling at us that "the weekend is over, get some sleep and get out of here!"

what a way to end the festival.

Coachella is either very close to losing it's heart and soul or I just need to go to a new festival next year

whynotsmile99
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
The water program was also much better this year. Never a real line for refills.

i agree with this fully. could have used another one or two stations though

MarkO
04-19-2010, 02:32 PM
From what I saw of the webcasts, the sets were spectacular. Devo looked like they nailed it (no surprise) and FNM brought me back to Nov '92 when I last saw them.

whynotsmile99
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
two more things...

Making us wait 30 minutes listening to soundcheck and THEN telling us that Sly Stone is postponed is lame. They knew he wasn't going to be there and they led an entire crowd to believe he was. Total disrespect bullshit. Were they setting up Little Boot's gear or was that Sly's? Anyone know?

I just watched the Sly video when ever he did appear at the Gobi and it makes me sad. Why even let him on the stage? Clearly the man is not fit for performance, why let him make an ass out of himself even more. Now we have Sly Stone rambling nonsense at Coachella. sad

Also, MOST BUMMER MOMENT OF COACHELLA 2010...

I'm walking back to my campsite and and notice a couple getting searched by secruity going into the festival. Some meat head D bag secruity bro pops the foil on two bottles of their bubbles and empties it onto the ground. Another security guard asks him what was in it. His response "Bubbles!"

Couldn't believe it. I of course gave my bubbles to them after watching this

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I decided that overall it was worth it. I saw (or really mainly just heard) tons of incredible bands this weekend with my best friends. I would put this up in my top 3 coachellas just because of music caliber. they really do need to sell less tickets next year tho. or make the tents bigger in addition to the grounds.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coachella-20100419,0,3158474.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+latimes/mostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories)

Haagen, who rarely grants interviews, said Sunday that he had committed $1 million in landscaping improvements annually going forward

I am glad to read this. Insufficient landscaping was a major problem at Coachella this year. I'm not coming back unless they plant a bunch of bougainvilleas.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Took us 90 minutes at most to get in. A couple of hours should be expected. I've heard Bonnaroo stories of 8-9 hours siting in line and some how those people don't come back all bitchy and crying about it.

I didn't bother with the showers. I just got clean enough to start each day by putting soap in a water bottle, shaking it up and using a bandanna as a rag to clean up, followed with brushing my teeth, deodorant, wet wipes and body spray. All right outside my tent each morning. Hassle free. You're at a music fest. This was also the first year they allowed car camping, it's a nice enough perk and they will obviously iron out kinks as time goes on.

The only really inexcusable thing is not allowing people to leave the parking lot between certain hours. We left at 11:30 and saw all kinds of signs saying the exit was closed but they actually directed us out without issue and the wait was maybe 15-20 minutes in the line of cars.

I can even understand emptying out the bubbles. They don't allow any liquids that have been opened. Do you expect security to text every liquid that comes through the gate?

TomAz
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
A couple of hours should be expected.

Aim higher.

also, why didnt' I see you at all this weekend?

faxman75
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I am so tempted to say, "Told ya so," but honestly...I feel really bad after reading statements like Bryan's.

Exactly what part did you tell us about in advance?

TomAz
04-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Don't you remember she told us months ago that they would run out of wristbands on Friday.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Aim higher.

also, why didnt' I see you at all this weekend?

Probably because I didn't go out of my way to see anyone. I bumped into a few people and I also didn't go to the group picture. I actually regret not meeting up a bit more with folks but I had a pretty great time regardless. We could have watched Yo La Tengo, that was a wonderful set.

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Sunday was the only day security wouldn't let me bring in sealed water bottles despite my protests about the previous two days.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Don't you remember she told us months ago that they would run out of wristbands on Friday.

I feel like crying.

Cdubby
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
posting this in here too-

I agree that it was too crowded. Did they actually have less showers and food vendors in the camping area this year too with like 3x the people? I never waited in line longer than 20 minutes for a shower, this year if you weren't in line by 7 am it was over 2 hours.

Same with inside, was there less fucking water refill stations too?

More:
Camping-
Showers
Food vendors
Phone charging stations (like 40 plugs for 40k people? really?)

Inside-
Water refill stations
Less people

Loved the music and the experience though! Maybe I was spoiled with the smaller crowds the last couple years though.

whynotsmile99
04-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I can even understand emptying out the bubbles. They don't allow any liquids that have been opened. Do you expect security to text every liquid that comes through the gate?

they weren't opened. I saw him pop the foil with his finger myself.

sbessiso
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I was only there for fryday but by nighttime I was cursing SoldOutChella. I left Vampire Weekend during the last song and it was just a nightmare getting out of that crowd. At some point then I realized that the outdoor theater crowd just becomes the mainstage crowd. I wanted to cry, all I wanted was to just not be in a crowd of people for a second.

Also like idiots we decided to move closer to the mainstage for Jay-Z (that giant origami thing was the starting point) and what a mistake that was. Just a giant clusterfuck of a crowd, no one was dancing, how the fuck could they there was no space. When we left Jay-Z it was clearly obvious we should have just stayed in the back. Everyone was dancing and you could see the screens fine. But goddammit those fucking crowds.

Im really glad everyone else feels the same way, I thought maybe it was just my imagination that the art was SERIOUSLY LACKING this year and there was a lot more corporate dumbassery (im pretty sure I did a double take when I saw the State-Farm thing).

THE SHOWER SITUATION IS ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE
every year we camp in the same area which is that first lane leading up to the entrance and there has always been tons of showers there (at least the past 2 years). HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU EXPLAIN TONS AND TONS MORE PEOPLE AND VIRTUALLY NO SHOWERS. But its ok I said, Ill just bonnaroo it up (even though i loved that chella had showers with great pressure AND hot water)

on a final note though, I still had an incredible friday. I went with the flow and I found friends and boardies no matter what stage I went to. Everything thats happened to me the past couple days has been a nightmare and it sucks that i couldnt enjoy the rest of the weekend but im sure ill still come back

I do agree that 75k would be way too many people for the grounds. Maybe there will be some expansion to cover that (if they decide to go that many again).

it sold out. i dont see why they wouldnt go for it again. Hell, why not a cool 80k just for fun!!

faxman75
04-19-2010, 03:21 PM

For some reason when you said foil I pictured someone self sealing with their own foil. That was cool of you to give them some of your bubbles.

I didn't get searched at all, just a light pat down all three days.

Cdubby
04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Can I just add as I was looking out over the night skyline, which I love to do while watching a headliner, I saw the endless amounts of people, the applebee's advertisement plane flying overhead, the trash, and I think the nail in the coffin was the ferris wheel- it made me think I was at a shitty county fair and not Coachella. That made me pretty depressed as well.

So I guess I'm complaining about the Ferris Wheel too, fuck it.

obzen
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
The roads in and out of the polo grounds were stressed at prior attendance levels; I think now it's gone over the tipping point.

This year, definitely.

11 total showers trucks, what the hell?

Seriously, wtf?

two more things...

Making us wait 30 minutes listening to soundcheck and THEN telling us that Sly Stone is postponed is lame. They knew he wasn't going to be there and they led an entire crowd to believe he was. Total disrespect bullshit. Were they setting up Little Boot's gear or was that Sly's? Anyone know?

I just watched the Sly video when ever he did appear at the Gobi and it makes me sad. Why even let him on the stage? Clearly the man is not fit for performance, why let him make an ass out of himself even more. Now we have Sly Stone rambling nonsense at Coachella. sad

I could not agree any more.

I've stated this elsewhere, but I still refuse to believe that was Sly Stone (who was moved to the Mojave for 10:45p) up there fucking off every song they attempted to play with a wall of feedback throughout. I don't even think he would've stepped on stage if he knew there were only around 1500 people there see him.

In retrospect, after the shady way they announced the first delay in the Gobi, I wonder if the "sound difficulties" in the Mojave were even genuine.

I didn't bother with the showers. I just got clean enough to start each day by putting soap in a water bottle, shaking it up and using a bandanna as a rag to clean up

What?

GV has earned enough goodwill in my book to be given a second chance.. if they acknowledge and try to fix the problems.

This.

BlackSwan
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Sunday was the only day security wouldn't let me bring in sealed water bottles despite my protests about the previous two days.

Weird, on Sunday security let me bring in an open water bottle that they had me pour my tequila in.

HandBanana
04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I didn't bother with the showers. I just got clean enough to start each day by putting soap in a water bottle, shaking it up and using a bandanna as a rag to clean up,

http://i.imgur.com/SnEao.jpg

TomAz
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
My biggest disappointment of the weekend was Thom Yorke. I'm a huge fan and I'm sure the set was great, but I was so far away that I might as well have been watching it on a 19" tv from across the room. This is what Coachella 2010 was: so many people that I can't enjoy a Thom Yorke set.

Today I keep asking myself if I will go back next year. I keep thinking that I probably will, that the logistical fuckups didn't prevent me from having a good time. I saw a lot of great music and got to hang out with some really great people. But then I think about how I felt during that Thom Yorke set .. to be there and yet not really feel like I was there.. .. and I'm not sure that I will return.

humanoid
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
We're screwed.....75,000 sell out, means little chance of it returning to the way it was....seriously...who has ever seen crowds at the Outdoor Theatre like that??

I ventured over there several times, only to watch from about 2 miles away...not the way I remember Coachella being...ever

thestripe
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Holy shit. Coachella 2010 killed possibly Tom? This must have been a fucking disaster. I'm really getting bummed out reading all this shit.

SoulDischarge
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Upside? We can all save money for Primavera next year.

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Can I just add as I was looking out over the night skyline, which I love to do while watching a headliner, I saw the endless amounts of people, the applebee's advertisement plane flying overhead, the trash, and I think the nail in the coffin was the ferris wheel- it made me think I was at a shitty county fair and not Coachella. That made me pretty depressed as well.

So I guess I'm complaining about the Ferris Wheel too, fuck it.

Ok YOU, my friend, are quite the buzzkill. The FERRIS WHEEL?! Are you kidding me? That was one of the coolest parts of the fest. And I loved how.it looked like the crane was glaring at it all night long.

Also for all you people complaining about the artwork this year, you obviously didnt see the fucking LAND SHARKS. I will post a video when I get home.

Cdubby
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I know I'm reaching, but it gave me a county fair vibe, sorry.

thestripe
04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Ok YOU, my friend, are quite the buzzkill. The FERRIS WHEEL?! Are you kidding me? That was one of the coolest parts of the fest. And I loved how.it looked like the crane was glaring at it all night long.

Also for all you people complaining about the artwork this year, you obviously didnt see the fucking LAND SHARKS. I will post a video when I get home.

All the pictures of the ferris wheel I've seen look fantastic. There is enough clusterfuck talk to leave the ferris wheel out of it.

Tessa I restarted the "Tessa is Gay" rumor while you were out.

indietron
04-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Ahhhhh I wanted to see those sharks so bad! I finally got to see hotshot this year though, so that was nice

summerkid
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm sure Coachella will address the overcrowding problem next year, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I much rather them raise admission prices and scale back the capacity and again people complaining that the crowds ruined their festival need to stop. Did it detract from the festival at times? Yes, it did, but its not the end of Coachella as we know it. Just scale it back 10,000 and keep the modifications to the outdoor theatre and we are back on track.

thestripe
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm sure Coachella will address the overcrowding problem next year, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I much rather them raise admission prices and scale back the capacity.

Or how about keep admission the same and scale back to preserve the integrity of the festival?

TomServo
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Agreed 100%. Granted, they don't sell as many tickets, and they have a crapload more space... but yesterday was on par with the terrible organization of Voodoo 2009 for me.

Still enjoyed the show, but it was clear that folks aren't complaining just to be whiners. Looking forward to Lolla again to re-remember why I love festivals.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Or how about keep admission the same and scale back to preserve the integrity of the festival?

No, no. Charging more for less is always the best solution.

braundiggity
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Man, it really was different strokes for different folks (sorry to quote the trainwreck). Maybe it was awful in pockets, but it totally depended on where you were. I was at the middle rail for TCV-LCD-Jay-Z, and man, I couldn't believe how much space I had! Seriously, I could sit between sets. I could dance as much as I wanted. My short friends could see. There were giant pockets of space on the other side of the rail. It was nuts, I couldn't believe it.

Honestly, I didn't ever really try to get to the front for any shows this year (I usually would, but the set times were just so fucked up) but this was the least smushed I've been on average at a Coachella, ever. Must have just had good luck with my positioning/timing.

braundiggity
04-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Well, didn't they charge less this year for more? Ticket prices weren't raised, camping passes were cheaper...and to pay for it, they let in an extra 10,000 people.

You're telling me you wouldn't take a small raise in admission price in order to keep those 10,000 people out? You're nuts.

Cdubby
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
how about they just lower the attendance and up the services, while keeping the prices the same? thats how it was every year except this year. i think you're nuts.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, didn't they charge less this year for more? ........

From reading the majority of posts over the weekend, I think the answer is No, folks did not get 'more'.

You were there, I wasn't. Did you get value for your $ ?

quicksand
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Sunday at 6, I walked from the Sahara to the Outdoor Theatre and all 4 stages were so fucking overcrowded as shit. Actually Jonsi was reasonable but the 3 tents were all more than full. Make that shit bigger. Especially the Gobi wtf shit's way too small for most people that play in there. Every act I saw in the Gobi had it completely full.

Also, Sunday at 6, I walked from the Sahara to the Outdoor Theatre and all 4 stages were so fucking overcrowded as shit. Actually Jonsi was reasonable but the 3 tents were all more than full. Make that shit bigger. Especially the Gobi wtf shit's way too small for most people that play in there. Every act I saw in the Gobi had it completely full.

whynotsmile99
04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Sunday at 6, I walked from the Sahara to the Outdoor Theatre and all 4 stages were so fucking overcrowded as shit. Actually Jonsi was reasonable but the 3 tents were all more than full. Make that shit bigger. Especially the Gobi wtf shit's way too small for most people that play in there. Every act I saw in the Gobi had it completely full.

Also, Sunday at 6, I walked from the Sahara to the Outdoor Theatre and all 4 stages were so fucking overcrowded as shit. Actually Jonsi was reasonable but the 3 tents were all more than full. Make that shit bigger. Especially the Gobi wtf shit's way too small for most people that play in there. Every act I saw in the Gobi had it completely full.

had to read 3 sentences before i realized you just copied yourself

someone
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
I am so glad that I'm not the only one seriously upset with Coachella this year. This was my third year, and my very last. I began the weekend wondering why John Waters had so many fans, but I let it go. And I expected Jay-Z to be crowded as hell.

What I most certainly did not expect was the amount of people in Camera Obscura at 3:00 in the afternoon in the Mojave. You couldn't fucking move, and there were bros everywhere. At Camera Obscura! It was insane. The Outdoor Theater/beer tent/bathroom area was the most unpleasant place the whole weekend.

By Sunday, when I couldn't get anywhere near Florence and the Machine, 20 minutes early, I finally used the ins-and-outs. I just couldn't take it. I came back early for Spoon to get up for Pavement, and then got to watch Thom Yorke from the Do-Lab. The worst clusterfuck ever.

It left me so disillusioned and sad. Such a great lineup, so many great bands, but I think because of the 3 day pass thing (which no matter how much anyone bitches is here to stay), there were a lot of casual music fans forced to come the whole weekend, which is what really ruined it for me. There were swarms of people filling up the stages to not even care about what was on.I had at least ten people ask me who Pavement was. WHILE THEY WERE WAITING FOR PAVEMENT. Horrible. Bye Coachella. It was a beautiful run while it lasted.

summerkid
04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
how about they just lower the attendance and up the services, while keeping the prices the same? thats how it was every year except this year. i think you're nuts.

camping used to be more expensive in those years though (remember it is a business) cut capacity and either charge like 30 bucks more for a 3 day pass or go back to everybody needs to buy a camping pass.

Cdubby
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
There were swarms of people filling up the stages to not even care about what was on.I had at least ten people ask me who Pavement was. WHILE THEY WERE WAITING FOR PAVEMENT. Horrible. Bye Coachella. It was a beautiful run while it lasted.

Haha, I had a girl ask my friend if that was "the guy from Blur" singing when the Gorillaz came out.

I guess kudos for her though, I'm not sure if half that crowd had ever heard of Blur before.

summerkid
04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
n.I had at least ten people ask me who Pavement was. WHILE THEY WERE WAITING FOR PAVEMENT. Horrible. Bye Coachella. It was a beautiful run while it lasted.

This happens every year. I remember people right before Jesus and Mary Chain asking who they were.

indietron
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm beginning to wonder how selling only 3 day passes affected Coachella's vibe. If they had sold one day tickets, would the crowd have been better in that people would only be attending the day(s) with the artist(s) they wanted to see? By making those people buy three day passes, they stayed the whole festival even though they may not have wanted to see anyone else on another day.

Example: lets say I just wanted to see JayZ on friday. But I am forced to buy a 3 day pass, so I hang out at Coachella on saturday and sunday as well even though the lineup really doesn't interest me at all. Doesn't this affect the vibe of the festival?

summerkid
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I dont think any artist had that kind of drawing power to get people to spend over 300 dollars on a 3 day pass.

moomoo
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
This was by far the best Coachella I've ever been too and easily the best weekend of my life. Just took my first shower since Friday and I don't care. I'll never forget:

-Singing the Pixies remix along with an INSANE crowd at Bassnectar hugging and high-fiving strangers (sober)
-The pure beastial energy felt by me and a huge amounts of smiling boardies at Orbital, 2ManyDJs, and Plastikman
-Mistakenly taking shrooms for Fever Ray and having the worst trip of my life and almost passing out in the crowd.
-Our camping group getting fucking destroyed by crazy Aussies thanks to Keep2theStreets' DJing on Sunday night until 4am Monday. Our 10x30 canopy was full of Aussies and strangers jumping up and down going crazy while a huge crowd of those who couldn't make their way into our tent stood outside to dance and play with a fucking parachute.
-Seeing the sunrise on the campgrounds.
-Walking around the campgrounds until sunrise to dance with strangers playing music from their cars.
-Collectively booing the forced Steve Porter 'encore' with an upset Proxy crowd.
-Having my heart gently fucked by the beautiful sounds of Florence + the Machine followed by Jonsi.
-Australians
-Multiple people snorting multiple lines of coke off my 14 year old body.

It takes more than large crowds to ruin that weekend.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Example: lets say I just wanted to see JayZ on friday. But I am forced to buy a 3 day pass, so I hang out at Coachella on saturday and sunday as well even though the lineup really doesn't interest me at all. Doesn't this affect the vibe of the festival?

Like more black people?

How would it effect the vibe? No one is saying uninterested people ruined the bands they saw. The complaints seem to be more about the organization of things.

braundiggity
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Uh, no. Ticket prices go up every year. This is the first year I've seen them not raised by $15-30. Camping's gotten more expensive yearly as well. I'm open to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

From reading the majority of posts over the weekend, I think the answer is No, folks did not get 'more'.

You were there, I wasn't. Did you get value for your $ ?

I meant "more" as in "more people," since that's the tradeoff summerkid seemed to be offering:

I much rather them raise admission prices and scale back the capacity

Your crack, and my response, confused the metaphor a bit, but whatever. "More" in my post referred to more people. We got charged less, and had more people. The alternative is to get charged more, as usually happens (but didn't this year) and have fewer people. I'd take that alternative, and based on how much happier everyone seems to have been with previous years compared to this one, I think most people would.

It's not realistic at all to expect a festival to keep the same ticket prices yearly (much less lower prices) without selling more tickets.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Uh, no. Ticket prices go up every year. This is the first year I've seen them not raised by $15-30. Camping's gotten more expensive yearly as well. I'm open to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Camping was much cheaper this year and tickets don't go up every year or even most years. They have increased at times. Each year is a bit different.

braundiggity
04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm beginning to wonder how selling only 3 day passes affected Coachella's vibe. If they had sold one day tickets, would the crowd have been better in that people would only be attending the day(s) with the artist(s) they wanted to see? By making those people buy three day passes, they stayed the whole festival even though they may not have wanted to see anyone else on another day.

What you're talking about still happened with single day tickets. Each day, you'd get a ton of people who were there only for the headliner, and the rest of us would have to deal with their shittiness. I recall Rage fans booing and throwing shit at Crowded House's first US show in 7 years or something just because it wasn't Rage.

3-Day passes still have the same problem, but minimized (who'd buy a $300 ticket just to see one headliner?).

braundiggity
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Camping was much cheaper this year and tickets don't go up every year or even most years. They have increased at times. Each year is a bit different.

Do you have any evidence of that? I recall tickets staying the same or going down in price for secret pre-sales only (07, for example), not for general sales. I'd have to consult my ticket stubs to check actual prices, but I'm not sure if I care that much about being right.

someone
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
What you're talking about still happened with single day tickets. Each day, you'd get a ton of people who were there only for the headliner, and the rest of us would have to deal with their shittiness. I recall Rage fans booing and throwing shit at Crowded House's first US show in 7 years or something just because it wasn't Rage.

3-Day passes still have the same problem, but minimized (who'd buy a $300 ticket just to see one headliner?).

Yeah, but they'd show up in time for the sub headliner, and wait for the headliner. Not at 3 in the afternoon. The early crowding was definitely a result of the 3 day passes and extended camping.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Do you have any evidence of that? I recall tickets staying the same or going down in price for secret pre-sales only (07, for example), not for general sales. I'd have to consult my ticket stubs to check actual prices, but I'm not sure if I care that much about being right.

So you are saying 09' was more expensive than 08' or 08' cost more than 07' etc etc?

I just think it would be better to know before you start ranting is all. You don't seem to be sure so it's like you are looking for something to argue about.

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Moomoo I saw you. I think waiting for Jonsi, or something at the outdoor stage near the speakers.

hegemon
04-19-2010, 05:28 PM

i saw it

Boourns
04-19-2010, 05:32 PM
I never thought I would say this, but hopefully Jack Johnson will headline next year so the crowd shrink to a manageable size.

mountmccabe
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM

They shouldn't've let you bring it in the two previous days. The security guards you got those days were nice/uncaring.

Seriously, bubbles is that big of a deal? Also, seriously, it's unsurprising that they don't let you bring in bubbles?

Also no one has ever fake re-sealed a bottle before, ever.

More:
Phone charging stations (like 40 plugs for 40k people? really?)

Inside-
Water refill stations

Loved the music and the experience though! Maybe I was spoiled with the smaller crowds the last couple years though.

The phone charging stations were a service provided for free for people who didn't find other ways to manage. They could charge for it and use that expected extra money to pay to make more stations available... but then folks'd complain that they're money grubbing whores.

The free filtered water refill stations moved quickly; I thought the new set up was an improvement over last year. The only long lines I saw were mid afternoon to early evening; early in the day and late at night I was in and out no problems.

What I most certainly did not expect was the amount of people in Camera Obscura at 3:00 in the afternoon in the Mojave. You couldn't fucking move, and there were bros everywhere. At Camera Obscura! It was insane.

That was not my experience for that set at all. We had plenty of room to move and I'mn't talking about being in the back either; we were a decent ways in front of the sound booth.

This is a real, reasonable complaint. The 11 showers trucks each had ~10 showers for each sex. If everyone takes fifteen minutes (including undressing/drying/etc) then you get about 15 people through per minute. There were 8000 spots sold, if they averaged 2 people per spot (it likely was at least double that) that means it'd take almost 18 hours for everyone to shower. The showers weren't even open 18 hours per day.

I tried to shower Friday morning; waited fifteen minutes without the line moving and left. I did shower Friday night - probably just as Fever Ray/PiL were ending - and walked right in. My friend showed up ten or fifteen minutes later and best available was 2nd or 3rd in line. Going from 20% capacity to 125% in that short a time is crazy. [Note: these estimates were for the men's lines only; the women's were at 125-150% capacity during this entire time period.]

Boourns
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I saw the landsharks! And hotshot. He said he wanted to see his hero sly stone.

FoxeyLady
04-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm sure Coachella will address the overcrowding problem next year, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I much rather them raise admission prices and scale back the capacity and again people complaining that the crowds ruined their festival need to stop. Did it detract from the festival at times? Yes, it did, but its not the end of Coachella as we know it. Just scale it back 10,000 and keep the modifications to the outdoor theatre and we are back on track.

Agreed.

I'm glad I camped this year. Going in and out was really easy.

mountmccabe
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
The early crowding was definitely a result of the 3 day passes and extended camping.

Yeah, I didn't really experience the early crowding. It seemed downright light on Saturday and especially Sunday.

The joy of relaxing in the back - or even relatively close for some sets - on the ground for a set is not gone... as long as the set happens before about 5 pm. I def did some relaxing on the grass in the back for Deerhunter (though after a song or two I had to move up.)

Though, oddly, I was in the front section for Yo La Tengo even moving there as they started. And I was only about 30 minutes early for Pavement (due to Sly's postponement) and was right up front for that, too. I was worried about being crushed and folks being pushy/rude but none of that ever happened.

Also the relaxing in the back at the Outdoor Theatre was better due to the screens and extra speakers. This is a great change for the better that some folks seem to already be taking for granted and/or counting as a negative.

Also parking is ALWAYS haphazard. If you're in the right lot/spot you get right out. If you'ren't, you're in for a long haul unless you leave early.

Also I liked the art, especially the origami crane. Sorry they had new things rather than rather than going with the same things over and over.

moomoo
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Moomoo I saw you. I think waiting for Jonsi, or something at the outdoor stage near the speakers.

You should have said hi. We could have swayed our arms towards Jonsi's wonderful hair as he melted our hearts.

JustSteve
04-19-2010, 05:40 PM
This is a real, reasonable complaint. The 11 showers trucks each had ~10 showers for each sex. If everyone takes fifteen minutes (including undressing/drying/etc)

a festival shower should entail a quick soap up and rinse down, 5 minutes tops.

emtgreg
04-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Amazing weekend.

GV and AEG, combined with the City of Indio need to hire a Registered Traffic Engineer. One person, who is Licensed and Experienced in working with large scale traffic events, and can provide a solid, consistent plan. The PD would direct traffic one way, security another, and the attendees would be misdirected and confused, resulting in all sorts of cluster fucks.

GV, do NOT hire a small time Engineering Consulting Firm, they should have experience working with Cal Trans, and with True Large Scale Events.

As for the crowds inside, and problems, etc, I have a few responses:

1. Do not expect to get rail for every set, sorry, it doesn't work like that
2. Gv needs either bigger tents, to schedule bigger acts earlier, or create more conflicts to do traffic control from stage to stage.
3. Moar Showers, this ain't Bonnaroo, this ain't Phish, this is NOT Burning Man, if we wanted dirty hippie festivals, we would go to dirty hippie festivals. There should have been 40+ shower trucks, not 11, also, they should be open 24/7, with adequate sewer and water.
4. finally, less retarded security plz.

More later, when I am less exhausted.

But, really? I had an amazing time, and I am thankful for the experience!!

You just can't have expectations that its your personal festival, it is not!! The only person who can reasonably claim that, is Paul Tollet.

braundiggity
04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
So you are saying 09' was more expensive than 08' or 08' cost more than 07' etc etc?

I just think it would be better to know before you start ranting is all. You don't seem to be sure so it's like you are looking for something to argue about.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. And I am pretty sure, I just don't want to be that dick who's so convinced he's right that he trashes everyone else and then turns out to be wrong -- I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm wrong.

I missed last year, so I've got a one-year gap in my memory, but I definitely recall paying more each year, as a trend. I guarantee the per-day price in '05 was less than '09/'10. I also recall articles discussing what a surprise it was that tickets stayed the same price this year. I'm at work, so I can't go home and check my ticket stubs, which means that memory is all I have to work off of.

Frankly, I'd love to be wrong. I'd love to feel like we should be able to expect ticket prices and audience to both stay the same yearly. I just don't recall that ever happening, and I'd want numbers (rather than hope) to prove me wrong.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
GV and AEG, combined with the City of Indio need to hire a Registered Traffic Engineer. One person, who is Licensed and Experienced in working with large scale traffic events, and can provide a solid, consistent plan. The PD would direct traffic one way, security another, and the attendees would be misdirected and confused, resulting in all sorts of cluster fucks.

GV, do NOT hire a small time Engineering Consulting Firm, they should have experience working with Cal Trans, and with True Large Scale Events.

You have an Odd Pattern of Capitalization. It Distracts from the Merit of your Valid Points.

1. Do not expect to get rail for every set, sorry, it doesn't work like that

You just can't have expectations that its your personal festival, it is not!! The only person who can reasonably claim that, is Paul Tollet.

No one has said either of these. Why would you imply that they did? Do you work in customer service? Your reading comprehension is worse than your capitalization.

shermanoaksyo
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Hard to compare this expanded festival to the ones I've been to previously. I was ready for huge vicious crowds and planned accordingly, leaving some sets a little earlier than I wanted to (Pavement) to get a decent spot for the next one. I'm not squeamish about politely pushing my way through a crowd when needed, so... yeah.

I'm really surprised by the amount of crying on the boards today. Traffic and parking was a mess, sure, but a lot of us are Angelenos and know how to negotiate such things.

If crowds of raver/indie kids really ruined your weekend despite all the great acts, you should go to sasquatch or ACL next year. This is now a Big Ass Festival along the lines of Glasto, as Paul T. always envisioned. This is here to stay. This Is Happening.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
AT&T's Network Crumbles At Coachella
Somebody forgot the COWs
08:36AM Monday Apr 19 2010 by Karl Bode
tags: coverage business wireless bandwidth trouble
Tipped by Matt

AT&T's had a bit of an uptick in good fortunes lately in terms of people knocking the carriers network. They started the year by seeing significant improvements in a major 3G coverage test. The company also managed to exceed bandwidth expectations at SXSW -- avoiding last year's SXSW network armageddon by wheeling in a bunch of COWs (cell on wheels) to meet demand. AT&T apparently wasn't as prepared for last weekend's Coachella music festival in California, where AT&T's network all but ground to a halt under the concentrated demands of all the iPhone users.

While complaints about AT&T service are a dime a dozen, we hear the situation is particularly dire at this year's Coachella music festival, where attendees are reporting text message delays up to six hours as well as a lack of ability to browse the Internet, post to Twitter, or check Facebook.

According to AT&T they were working hard to optimize the network, and note that there was free Wi-Fi for AT&T users at the event (which many indicate didn't work). Granted, it's not the end of the world (after all, people can oh, stop staring at their phones for five seconds and enjoy the music), but AT&T's network should still work.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/ATTs-Network-Crumbles-At-Coachella-107951

someone
04-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't really experience the early crowding. It seemed downright light on Saturday and especially Sunday.

What?

phxunderground
04-19-2010, 06:05 PM
This was my fourth year going to COACH and was far and away the WORST EVER EXPERIENCE. It took us 3 hours to get to the parking and then another 1 1/2 hour to get into the venue. The place was WAY OVER PACKED, there was no room anywhere.

I think it's time that GV or whoever really needs to look at improving the event all around. I mean, I knew 3 people who were able to get into the event without ever paying for a ticket. On top of that they got VIP wristbands. And here I am with my family doing the right thing paying our way in; following the rules and this happens.

I was sorely disappointed and my rave reviews about Coachella were the reason they attended this year. I won't say I won't be there next year or the next after and so on, but unfortunately if GV does not improve the situation, I will not be spending my money again on a disaster of an event.

menikmati
04-19-2010, 06:08 PM
It's simple...the problem with this new coachella crowd (and yes, it's the crowd that is the problem), is the Sahara lineups....stop booking this stupid HARD bullshit, and fuck Ed Banger and anything related to them.

emtgreg
04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
was there more than 1 ed banger artist?

hegemon
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
stop booking this stupid HARD bullshit, and fuck Ed Banger and anything related to them.

agreed

SoulDischarge
04-19-2010, 06:15 PM
It's simple...the problem with this new coachella crowd (and yes, it's the crowd that is the problem), is the Sahara lineups....stop booking this stupid HARD bullshit, and fuck Ed Banger and anything related to them.

Coachella could book way better electronic talent for way cheaper, and ones that have never played before, but this seems like misplaced aggression. I can't imagine Club 75 and 2ManyDJs brought in anywhere close to as many people as Tiesto, Guetta, and Benassi.

indietron
04-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Add tiesto and guetta to that list and your golden

Boourns
04-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Ed Banger and HARD acts are a non-issue. The 13 year olds came for guetta/tiesto, jay-z, and the only three "indie" bands they know (Phoenix, mgmt, vampire weekend).

mountmccabe
04-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. And I am pretty sure, I just don't want to be that dick who's so convinced he's right that he trashes everyone else and then turns out to be wrong -- I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm wrong.

I missed last year, so I've got a one-year gap in my memory, but I definitely recall paying more each year, as a trend. I guarantee the per-day price in '05 was less than '09/'10. I also recall articles discussing what a surprise it was that tickets stayed the same price this year. I'm at work, so I can't go home and check my ticket stubs, which means that memory is all I have to work off of.

Frankly, I'd love to be wrong. I'd love to feel like we should be able to expect ticket prices and audience to both stay the same yearly. I just don't recall that ever happening, and I'd want numbers (rather than hope) to prove me wrong.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/4536718978_7e0c341614_o.jpg (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap7zefsiC7P6dEJlTkJacGRhWEdITWZDVzhIeEZVa mc&hl=en)

As you can see in the Google Docs version, "Increase" is the percent increase for the total cost from the last year for which I have non-presale data.

kitt kat
04-19-2010, 06:28 PM

H8 entry-level tween raver bros. worst subunit of a subculture ever.

Ed Banger and HARD acts are a non-issue. The 13 year olds came for guetta/tiesto, jay-z, and the only three "indie" bands they know (Phoenix, mgmt, vampire weekend).

What parent lets their 13 year old go to Coachella alone anyway?

corbo
04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
im not gonna read this thread but have to say that FRIDAY was fucking awful getting in.
THEY RAN OUT OF WRISTBANDS!? are you fucking kidding me? dont you know how many tickets you sold you assholes!
waited in line to get in for over 3 hours!.
Saturday and Sunday was better though

algunz
04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
As soon as the bass would start thumping, the wave would begin. The beat attracted the stupid people, and I would try yet again to move the other way. I love electronic music, but I was forced to shy away from the Sahara most of the weekend.

Why was there so much running? What's the rush? Where are you going? What are you missing? Stop fucking trying to walk through me. I have bruises on my shoulders from being knocked around like a pinball from douchebag to douchebag.

And . . . What is with these DJs fucking talking and talking and talking? :blah

frazzles
04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, it was way too overcrowded. Yes, showers were retarded. Yes, camp spots weren't actually 10x30 (with no real way to tell, anyways). Hopefully these issues will be addressed next year. I still have faith in this festival.

But I still had a fucking amazing weekend.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
THEY RAN OUT OF WRISTBANDS!? are you fucking kidding me? dont you know how many tickets you sold you assholes!

sigged

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Here we go. LAND SHARKS!!!

FBUJqKjbQk0

Hannahrain
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
It's heartbreaking to me that devotees like Bryan and Tom feel disappointed enough to consider giving up the habit of attendance. The collective point regarding general chaos here is absolutely true. I'm not trying to debate that. But.

Clusterfuck is the unfortunate reality of the world we live in. Not just festivals. Everything. It's possible to have a great time despite it - I did. And right now, after having just gotten back to Portland, I'm not dwelling on the blank-faced footlickers that shoved by me to try to get a good spot for a particular set, or how dirty the field was after each exodus (though it was disgusting and those people should be ashamed of themselves). I'm listening to All My Friends at high volume, thinking about how lucky I feel for getting to witness Friday's rendition of it before the retirement of the LCD project as a whole, and thinking about how if I'm still alive and lucid twenty years from now it'll be an "I was there" moment (allusion unintended) that I'll be recounting on whatever the twenty-years-in-the-future equivalent of the internet is.

Next, I'm going to listen to Brighten the Corners and think about how not two years ago, the set many of us saw last night would have been a give-an-arm hypothetical situation and yet here I am reminiscing about it with all my limbs intact. Or maybe I'll listen to Almighty Defenders and think about how close they came to saving the soul I wasn't even sure I had during their absolutely stunning and stomach-knotting fourth ever performance as a collective. I will fan King Kahn with a palm frond. I will tithe to the church of Beth Ditto and drink whatever poisoned powder fruit beverage she may request that I imbibe. I will say yea, I will hunt deer, I will spoon, I will do some cute joke about Sleigh Bells because I liked that set a lot, too. I will sit on the ground and drink warm whiskey with one of my favorite board people. I will introduce myself to large groups of boardmembers despite knowing full well there's a good chance I'm going to get punched. I will outwardly keep my cool but secretly get excited when you send me a text. I will recognize you and say something. I will eat Spicy Pie in unreasonable quantities. I will reciprocate when Feather goes in for a hug. I will feel guilty when an attempt to quickly return my toothbrush to my tent comes off as an attempt to snub Sbessiso when really I was trying to free my hand up for a goodwill handshake. I will wait all day to pee. I will immensely enjoy the walk back to my locker to grab a sweatshirt in the dark when it finally gets a little chilly and I won't know why. I will look in the mirror for the first time in a few days on Monday and notice increased visibility of my premature smile lines due in equal parts to sun pigmentation and smiling for four days straight. I will get a funny tan line where my glasses sit on my face. I will discuss with Miscorrections how surprisingly attractive you were in person. I will lose my voice. I will sunburn no matter how often I reapply. I will feel obligated to make sure you all reapply as though I were your mother. I will peel. I will walk home from the transit center in Portland even though my feet still hurt because I want to reconnect immediately with the people I miss and contribute what I have to add to this conversation but the bus isn't coming for another half hour. I will return home an entirely different color than I left, and it won't be flattering. I will wish that Gorillaz did a little more visually and that they played a little longer, but I will have a damn good time anyway. I will write an excessive amount of words to illustrate my point.

I will do all these things, both good and bad, and be happy to do them because this world is crawling with terrible people 100% of the time. Because we, humanity, are a disaster. But when you're out walking around in the regular non-Coachella day to day life, in what is still an overcrowded clusterfuck, you're not going to see Deerhunter or Spoon or Gil Scott-Heron and then return to camp for drinks and conversation. You're going to buy a fucking eyeglass repair kit and some white cheddar popcorn at the QFC and then return home sad and alone. People are going to be awful anywhere, and there will always be too many of them.

I've only been to four Coachellas, but even in the short time I've been attending I have noticed a difference in crowd and behavior. I can only imagine what the people who have been with it since the beginning see. I'm not denying that there were some colossal problems with the logistics of the festival this year - it was a madhouse, though I thought that car camping was a phenomenal addition and I didn't ever have much trouble getting into the showers as long as I went at night - but I had a fucking blast. I'm really sorry to hear that it didn't turn out that way for others. Assuming I'm able to return next year, I will be back for my fifth in 2011. I would be really sad not to see all of you there.

summerkid
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM

This is correct. Id throw Deadmau5 in there as well but he's a HARD act.

humanoid
04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
one of my favorite parts of the day has always been venturing across the open spaces in the middle of the polo fields, on the way to the other stages...free and open, escaping the crowds for just a few moments. I couldn't find space to move anywhere....massive crowds streaming past at every moment of every day

I'm trying to not feel to negatively, as overall, I still had a really good time...but there were so many things wrong with 2010 in contrast to other years that I'm having difficulty keeping the negativity at bay...

someone
04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Those land sharks were everywhere. I saw them in the campground Thursday night, then they were following us back to the forum tents. I was sitting way back during Muse, laying down, just past the peak of my shrooms, and I look up and there was a land shark staring at me resting above my forehead. Thank God I wasn't peaking, I might have freaked out. They were just going around in circles around us at Muse, which became annoying, because they attracted large crowds of gawkers. I was just trying to lay down and come down, man. Saw them at the back of Gorillaz too. They were super cool, but rather obnoxious.

Boourns
04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, it was way too overcrowded. Yes, showers were retarded. Yes, camp spots weren't actually 10x30 (with no real way to tell, anyways). Hopefully these issues will be addressed next year. I still have faith in this festival.

Agreed. I have faith the overcrowdng and shower issues will be addressed and fixed. People passing out from heat stroke and waiting 4 hours only to be turned away...who thought 7 trailers were enough? How does that person even have a job in this economy? 12 trailers for each main lot, then some for tent camping is what we will need next year.

But yes, so many amazng sets and I loved the artwork, ferris wheel, and new stuff at camp, but like you said, some serious issues.

summerkid
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
what if they moved the gobi to the front, by the entrance? and made the mojave tent larger? that would provide more space to walk around through and might solve the mojave overcrowding problem.

indietron
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Hannah that post makes me so incredibly happy

=)

mountmccabe
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't really experience the early crowding. It seemed downright light on Saturday and especially Sunday

What?

The crowd for Baroness in the Mojave was loose and fun. The crowd for the Avett Brothers was perfectly normal for the Outdoor theater at 3:20 on Friday. Yeasayer in the Mojave at 4:20 was packed but it wasn't a problem getting in and moving up some.

We had plenty of room in front of the sound booth for the Almighty Defenders in the Gobi. There was near nobody at Zoe at the Coachella stage; I was in front of sound and could've been in the very front section if I had wanted to be there. As noted we had plenty of room for dancing and moving up at Camera Obscura. The Mojave for Gossip was fairly packed but, again, no problems getting even with the sound board (up against the sound booth) just minutes before it started. Also more people SHOULD'VE been at that set, hot damn.

On Sunday the Mojave was maybe 2/3rds full for the Soft Pack. I spent half the set sitting down. There were more people for King Khan and the Shrines but there was still plenty of room for dancing along (again, I mean in front of the sound booth, not just the back.) Owen Pallet at the Outdoor Theatre was loose enough for us to get a good spot even showing up for just the last few songs. Deerhunter was easy, too. We started sitting in the back right and when I moved up after a song or two I got in front of the sound booth easy. And, as noted, I got to the very front section for Yo La Tengo five minutes before their set started, and could've done so quite a ways into that set. Jonsi had a big crowd but it wasn't dense; we had at least fifteen board members all together for this set. And, as noted, I got to the very front section for Pavement only half an hour early. That hour and a half gap between sets kept all but the most hardcore pro-Gorillaz/anti-Thom Yorke fans from camping out.

That is where I am coming from; I have no idea what your expectations and/or experience were, so my shorter response is: what?

Boourns
04-19-2010, 06:46 PM
This is correct. Id throw Deadmau5 in there as well but he's a HARD act.

Oh yeah, forgot about him. Don't get me wrong, I did want to see him a little, plus mgmt, Phoenix, and club 75, too, but they weren't anywhere near the top of my main drawslist and I actually missed all of them.

faxman75
04-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I think a lot of you guys didn't read the schedule/booklet that was handed out this year. It said welcome "Juggalos" on the inside cover, no joke.

GV knew who was coming this year.

algunz
04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I will not give up on Coachella . . . yet. But some serious adjustments need to happen for me to continue my long term commitment.

Geno_g
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
I thought it was great, the only thing I thought sucked was the shower situation, I was able to get good spots for every set I wanted to see and managed to go from stage to stage with out problems...

someone
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
The crowd for Baroness in the Mojave was loose and fun. The crowd for the Avett Brothers was perfectly normal for the Outdoor theater at 3:20 on Friday. Yeasayer in the Mojave at 4:20 was packed but it wasn't a problem getting in and moving up some.

We had plenty of room in front of the sound booth for the Almighty Defenders in the Gobi. There was near nobody at Zoe at the Coachella stage; I was in front of sound and could've been in the very front section if I had wanted to be there. As noted we had plenty of room for dancing and moving up at Camera Obscura. The Mojave for Gossip was fairly packed but, again, no problems getting even with the sound board (up against the sound booth) just minutes before it started. Also more people SHOULD'VE been at that set, hot damn.

On Sunday the Mojave was maybe 2/3rds full for the Soft Pack. I spent half the set sitting down. There were more people for King Khan and the Shrines but there was still plenty of room for dancing along (again, I mean in front of the sound booth, not just the back.) Owen Pallet at the Outdoor Theatre was loose enough for us to get a good spot even showing up for just the last few songs. Deerhunter was easy, too. We started sitting in the back right and when I moved up after a song or two I got in front of the sound booth easy. And, as noted, I got to the very front section for Yo La Tengo five minutes before their set started, and could've done so quite a ways into that set. Jonsi had a big crowd but it wasn't dense; we had at least fifteen board members all together for this set. And, as noted, I got to the very front section for Pavement only half an hour early. That hour and a half gap between sets kept all but the most hardcore pro-Gorillaz/anti-Thom Yorke fans from camping out.

That is where I am coming from; I have no idea what your expectations and/or experience were, so my shorter response is: what?

I was in the front against a rail for Pavement too. It was the only act I wanted to get close for. I was also close for King Kahn. But generally I'm not a "I need to be in front of the stage so badly that I will knock people down to get there" kind of girl. I like to hang back, maybe lay out a little bit in the shade of the Mojave for an early set. In all the Coachellas I've been to, this has never presented a problem. I did not have to show up a half hour early to get a good spot in the BACK of a tent. I was in the back against the handicap rail for Camera Obscura, and it was wall to wall people in there. People who were just trying to hang in the back and listen were being stepped on. Never ever have I felt uncomfortable about being lazy in the Mojave at 3 before.

I left De La Soul early to go get a spot for Florence and the Machine and I couldn't get anywhere near the tent. I gave up. So, were some acts less crowded than others? Sure. But was there early crowding this year? Fuck yeah there was, you're fooling yourself believing otherwise.

And by 4 Saturday and Sunday the beer tent and Outdoor Theater were a fucking madhouse. It didn't feel relaxing, it felt a little stressing. So I guess that was what I was expecting. Not to be so fucking exhausted from weaving in and out of swarms of people in the afternoon.

liquidsnake28
04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
It said welcome "Juggalos" on the inside cover, no joke.

Really? What was the context of this, like was there a long list of different types of people they're saying they welcome and "juggalos" was one of them?

motionnn77
04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
My daughter volunteered out at PIR this year selling churros and pretzels (by the way, she only made like 10 all day in tips-tip those people, please) and it was NOTHING compared to what we've experienced these last few days. They had tons of traffic control and clearly marked entrances and exits. I left an hour early to drop her off and I was in and out of there in 15 minutes, even though I didn't know where to go. And they have 100k out there every day. AND, it's a one-way street in and out.

Only $10 in tips?? I tip everyone! Even in the VIP! They're in the hot sun, in one place all day! Damn!! (I hope that doesn't get censored).

miscorrections
04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm with Hannah. People were awful, but they're awful everywhere and this is the one time per year I get to see so many friends who are NOT awful. It was different but not ruined.

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Look, the crane fucking hates that ferris wheel.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs429.snc3/24760_545394748206_81500275_32003250_7346678_n.jpg

BrettShipes
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
-needs fewer attendees, more tesla coils

-sucks that some acts couldn't make it

-terrible shower situation (still don't understand why they have shut them down at noon)

-updated filtered water program was a complete win!

-most lax security checks ever, I don't know what the bitching was about

-ins and outs were cool, but we had a locker-chella anyway so we didn't particularly need it

Hannahrain
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
You can't really go hang out in your locker if you have a lull in the day, nor can you materialize something you've forgotten inside.

Hannahrain
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Or can you? You might be a lot more impressive than I thought.

bmack86
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I will say, Sunday was much better. I give credit to the security finally having the balls to not just give wristbands to everyone who came up asking for them. On Saturday, I saw a group of people in the parking lot picking up ticket stubs from the ground. They walked in front of me through the entrance and told the security that they had lost their wristbands, but that they still had ticketstubs. They all got wristbands no questions asked. And, yes, they were all little raver bastards.

But, despite all of the madness and general discomfort, I did have a really good time overall. Friday was the worst overall for me: the traffic getting out was hellacious, and many of the shows I was very excited for were so overcrowded that I either couldn't see the band or was being constantly shoved by assholes who thought that they just had to get to the front so they could dance more, bro. I thought Saturday was even more crowded, but there were less acts I really cared about, so it was easier to deal with. Sunday, there was space on the fields and I was able to walk around most of the day. I liked that. It seemed more like what I was used to: full, but not so full that moving anywhere was an extreme chore. If they could maintain the festival like they did on Sunday, I'd be back.

And, damn, people were very filthy this year. WHen they'd leave, there'd just be masses of trash everywhere. That was disheartening.

Also, who's complaining about the crotches in their faces? Don't you love it when preteens in their underwear aren't paying attention and sit right on you? (That actually happened to me twice, and it created the most bizarre feeling: a combination of anger at their rudeness/stupidity and a creepy unclean feeling because my face was just between the cheeks of severely underaged girl ass).

bmack86
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Also, the water program was a definite step up this year. Much more efficiently run. I liked Zia's used record selection, and I don't recall them having that last year. Other than Friday, which was understandable given the fact that everyone was showing up to get wristbands early, it didn't take me more than 10 minutes to get in from the parking lot.

My complaints were posted friday, and, while they go for saturday as well, I did have a good time.

tessalasset
04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I completely forgot about Record Store Day until this morning. :(

thestripe
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Whoa, Hannah. That was what I needed to hear.

SoulDischarge
04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
That was not at all what I needed to hear Hannah. I had finally come to terms with missing Coachella this year and you just wrecked all of that. If you ever hope to remedy the damage you just did, you'll have to attend one of the other music festivals I'm attending this year.

thestripe
Is this really going to be LCD's last run??????

sames44
That was what I needed to hear.
yes, me too. my heart hurt reading everyone's horror stories, thinking maybe I'd only go to coachella via webcast from now on, and then I read Hannah's and misc's posts and I'm sure I'll be at the polo fields again someday. and tessa's crane-eating-ferris wheel pic is awesome.

guedita
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I honestly thought that there were less raver kiddies/LA banger types here this year than last but maybe I just did a good job of avoiding them (And I was in the Sahara for a while every day).

I'm really upset to hear that people were able to get in using already used ticket stubs. If you "lose your wrist band but have your ticket stub" you still shouldn't be allowed in.

I have lots of complaints about the crowding and serious mismanagement of the camping, but I still got to see every act I wanted to and had a wonderful time.

BrettShipes
04-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Or can you? You might be a lot more impressive than I thought.

The locker is magic because I can leave stuff in there over night and not have to worry about forgetting it the next day. We did go back to chill in the car Saturday after Frank Turner, and it was nice. :)

motionnn77
04-19-2010, 08:02 PM
The VIP Rose Garden was a relief for after hanging in the tents. It was never crowded, always clean, always had shade and I could always find a drink and the lines were never too long.

And no douches after dark like the main VIP. This helped my sanity. (As did the 'candy' I had with me).

Friday was a wonderful day. Perfect weather, got in no problems, mostly because my man wanted to see the 'Facebook song" chick. I was able to really just chill for some of the acts and lay on my sarong on the grass. But that was the only day I could do it without worrying about people stepping on me. I met lots of cool people that day. I didn't encounter douchebaggery until leaving Echo and being descended with Vamp W. fans. I almost got my skirt torn off! At least the guy who got caught on my skirt was cool and was working w/me. Then his camera equipment was caught in my hair! He was being polite, but we had angry douches all around us. Finally got out, but that was the only DB experince I had on Friday.

Had more on Sat. but learned to avoid by yesterday.

JebusLives
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
My anger has already dissipated. Soon only good memories will remain, and I will most likely hand over another $300 to these scumbags just to be packed in like a sardine to watch ever-slighly-less interesting bands.

When all is said and done, its still the best weekend of the year.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
My anger has already dissipated. Soon only good memories will remain, and I will most likely hand over another $300 to these scumbags just to be packed in like a sardine to watch ever-slighly-less interesting bands.

When all is said and done, its still the best weekend of the year.

And this is why shit never gets fixed.

Alligator Bogaloo
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm losing my edge...

suprefan
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I will not give up on Coachella . . . yet. But some serious adjustments need to happen for me to continue my long term commitment.

This. (well Im staying commited, but I want improvements on things that shouldnt be taken for granted)

One thing that was flawless, was the sound. Thank you Rat Sound Systems for making everything sound like the shit. My ears can never repay you for all of the music sounding so pristine.

I'm losing my edge...

I was there..............

p.s. disco saved my life, thank you james murphy.

bleep
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
One thing that was flawless, was the sound. Thank you Rat Sound Systems for making everything sound like the shit. My ears can never repay you for all of the music sounding so pristine.
Amen to this. This was my eight year in attendance and the sound has never been better!

indietron
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
The sound was pretty darn great. I love that they pointed the do lab sound away from main/outdoor. My only sound complaint would be tiesto being WAYYYYYY too loud

mountmccabe
04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree on the sound; it was better this year than ever before.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
.......... One thing that was flawless, was the sound.

I'm not sure where the webcast sound feed came from but it was GREAT. Really, really good.

JebusLives
04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
And this is why shit never gets fixed.

Yeah, you're right. We need to hound them on this board about the issues. If they want to sell 75,000 / day, they need bigger tents (especially the gobi and mohave) and better parking control. And believe me, they won't be reducing the limit next year.

MarkO
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Again, I'm really saddened that so many people had problems this year.

frazzles
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
If they want to sell 75k tickets, they need to expand the polo fields outside of the fucking Rose Garden first and foremost. Since that seems unlikely, let's bring it down to a reasonable 50-60k.

Sexecutioner
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
the sound really was insanely crisp and clear, especially the main stage. i couldnt get over it all weekend.

captncrzy
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I may or may not be back this year. For the first time since I started going, it will depend on the lineup. Not because the people were assholes. There are ALWAYS assholes. But because there were just too many of them. I'm not sure what the magic formula is, but increasing attendees by 15k and having less security staff inside/less showers/etc. isn't it.

And yeah, I get that you can expect to wait to exit a festival. But waiting because they decided to just not let people out? They closed down Bryan's lot until 3:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING. That's not just "traffic"; it's utter stupidity brought on by the city and the event organizers. It was scary AND unsafe locking those people in together-angry, some totally wasted-without anyone being around to assist.

Also, I waltzed in every day with unopened water bottles. These staffers also need to be consistent.

I'm being serious here-I'm a master-level instructional designer and I'd be happy to review the training documents/instructions/other learning materials that staffers and volunteers are given for a pretty significant market-value discount. It's hard to run things properly when you don't know what the fuck you're supposed to be doing.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
does your avatar really say 'gone fisting'? no wonder rick loves you.

gaypalmsprings
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Ah ha!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EuBu-c7pox0/Sjr_kMfK0nI/AAAAAAAAFws/NbjLgZqUuoo/s320/fisting.jpg

captncrzy
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Well, duh. You didn't think it was because of my sparkly personality, did you?

TomServo
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I much rather them raise admission prices and scale back the capacity and again people complaining that the crowds ruined their festival need to stop. Did it detract from the festival at times?

It's already the most expensive festival I've ever attended, in terms of admission price. Lolla has their top 6 at $190 a head ($175 earlier).

How about drop the price and let a hack like Jay-Z stay home? I think Faith No More could have done fine with a 90 min set, and Muse would have enjoyed kicking it up to 2 hours. Jay-Z = expensive and unnecessary, especially given the Staples concert less than a month ago.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Coachella is not an LA-only event.

Gribbz
04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Agreed. I had a blast.

TomServo
04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Coachella is not an LA-only event.

And Jay-Z didn't just play LA - he played EVERYWHERE.

I talked to many a douchebag who said Jay-Z was the highlight of their weekend. It usually went like this.... "Jay-Z.... or Tiesto. Tiesto was badass." There were a number of folks who said Muse as well, but I was disappointed in their short set and apparent lack of signature stage setup. Having missed the first two days, I talked to a lot of folks about Fri/Sat.

In a few months I might be saying the same thing about Lollapalooza and Lady Gaga... but the big difference is that they have the dual headliners, and those stages are so far apart that you don't have to wade through 40k people to get where you're going... like it seemed at Phoenix yesterday. And to think people here said Phoenix were a lousy 6th headliner at Lolla - looking at their crowd at Coachella, they're completely ready for that status.

algunz
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
One of my big frustrations were the unreliable set times. I know with cancellations things were bit f'd, but sets finishing early? Really?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I must have had insanely good luck this weekend. I had almost no problems whatsoever. In fact, it may be my favorite of the 3 Coachellas I have been to (starting with '08). I am sad that other people had to suffer through bullshit.

TomAz
04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I was just reacting to your (seeming) assertion that Jay Z shouldn't have played Coachella because he played the Staples. Instead, I now understand that your argument is that Jay Z shouldn't have played because he's played lots of places. and his fans are douchebags. Those are more solid arguments. Although the douchebag bit has never swayed anyone before, e.g. The Cure.

edit: for TomServo, of course.

BROKENDOLL
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Mismanaged clusterfuck or not, as I sit here looking at all the camp shit still sitting everywhere, unsorted in the livingroom, I'd give anything to be either bumping into strangers and dancing, or better yet...just chilling out at the campsite and looking up at the spotlights and stars as the night comes to an end and the anticipation for the next day begins...

faxman75
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Really? What was the context of this, like was there a long list of different types of people they're saying they welcome and "juggalos" was one of them?

The context was tongue in cheek. I thought it was funny. It was simply like I said. I don't have it on me but it was a welcome to Coachella type blurb and it said something like 'welcome juggalos'.

weeklymix
04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I think the crowd was the only real problem for me. The size of the crowd caused my parking problems so I'll leave it at one overarching problem.

I snapped twice. Once during some Muse fans booing through Faith No More and once during shitty hipsters discussing "some shitty old band between Passion Pit and Vampire Weekend" (Echo & the Bunnymen).

TomAz
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't have it on me but it was a welcome to Coachella type blurb and it said something like 'welcome juggalos'.

It was in the little schedule booklet, the juggalo bit.

hawkingvsreeve
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Zack.

I'm looking at you right now. You are in my living room. You are wearing a white t shirt and singing Die Antwoord.

cormaic
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Why was there so much running? What's the rush? Where are you going? What are you missing?

I ran once this weekend, to get away from Jay Z and into Fever Ray because I was already two songs late for Fever Ray. I was pretty cautious about my running though, I made sure I didn't hit or step on people and I didn't bulldoze through people in my way. But It was Fever Ray, I wasn't about to lolligag my ass to her set.

Sexecutioner
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
besides the juggalo part, i liked the rest of that blurb you guys are talking about. something about how "ninjas look forward to this all year long" made me smile.

weeklymix
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Zack.

I'm looking at you right now. You are in my living room. You are wearing a white t shirt and singing Die Antwoord.

Hey. I'm in your living room, forcing you to watch basketball. We're about to go meet Chris. I can't believe we're both on the board while hanging out.