PDA

View Full Version : Prince At Coachella rumours....

scoop49er
02-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Some of my buddies in the biz are hearing rumblings and coachella came up. so i called my friend and basically he says that Prince is about to start a world tour sometime in may. he has has contract obligations in Vegas but it runs out at the end of march. Prince is already lining up dates and his mgmt team would like him to start off with something huge like "Coachella" granted i dont think prince will do this simply cuz he did the super bowl halftime and he can sell ut a tour on his own and also i believe that coachella is selling so well they dont need to add him unless prince wants to do it just for fun and prince's ego alone will not let him do this so i say its a fr out stretched rumour next to impossible. but there is always hope. especially since a tour is in the works. alot of this info is on the net but when i hear it from my buddies and they get it from insdiers, i take it a little more seriously. they were the ones who told me about rage in early jan. we shall see. :) realistically its a longshot at best...

rage patton
02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Prince would be extremely awesome to see added. All the performances Ive caught of his on TV have been amazing!

RATMan
02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Nice rumor, though.

Prince tends to play weird places before heading out on his big tours, sort of as a tune-up.

I've seen him play the 1,000 max. cap. Fillmore in SF twice in the past few years, right before a tour. So, I don't think a 50 minute gig inside the Sahara tent on Friday night would be that far out.

suprefan
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Prince > Madonna Put Prince as the big add on Saturday night so nobody watches the Chili Peppers....

vinylmartyr
02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
And who does the Prince tour? AEG I believe and what does AEG own? Goldenvoice.

RATMan
02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Put Prince as the big add on Saturday night so nobody watches the Chili Peppers....

Nah, then everybody would be piled up in the tent all day waiting for him.

Put him in the Friday slot, concurrent with Bjork, but after The JAMC

suprefan
02-27-2007, 08:48 PM
No way you cannot have him go up against Bjork, that would tear the crowd in half.(well at least me) Also you add him to friday and then it sells out in like a day since there are really no tickets left. Add Morrissey on Friday(as hopefully predicted) add Prince Saturday night in the Sahara but not this 30 min set b.s. Give him a solid hour and thats good enough for me. But put him against The Chili Peppers and I will gladly leave after Arcade Fire to get a spot.

woogie846
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
If Prince was on the line up, don't you think he'd headline?

AEversW
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
prince in the tent on saturday?

DeltaSigChi4
02-27-2007, 08:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DeltaSigChi4/prince_of_persia_prince.jpg
Prince is GOD.

E

suprefan
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
If Prince was on the line up, don't you think he'd headline?

Wasnt Madonna technically "headliner" material? (just on paper) And she got put in the tent. She was also main stage for sure but yeah once again Sahara tent. Put him in the tent I say... You wanna dance dont you?

xeroborn
02-27-2007, 08:54 PM
they made the tent bigger for madonna.

FakePlasticMe
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Um, I don't think selling tickets is an issue anymore.....it kinda sold out and stuff.

suprefan
02-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Still though Gina, it would be the way to make it "sell out" technically...

See? Look.....

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7812/coachposter112sx2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

summerkid
02-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh man don't mess with my head like that.

AEversW
02-27-2007, 09:03 PM
if they want to sell the whole thing out why would they add him to saturday? Friday will probably get a big name add. Underworld on saturday will probably happen.

suprefan
02-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Thats what Morrissey is for. Prince gets added to Saturday as the Sahara tent act since Tiesto closes out the main.

FakePlasticMe
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Haha, oh come on....aren't saturday and sunday passes sold out....as well as 3 day passes and camping passes?? So you can go to Coachella for Friday and maybe Saturday (if they're still available)....what would be the point?

suprefan
02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Who knows, some people are just going for like Friday, or just Saturday or just Sunday. The power of choice makes people weird sometimes. Those people do not see the whole picture and will hear about the other days and think to themselves why they didnt go to the other days and though one day was enough. Bring on the Purple one!!!

Oh man don't mess with my head like that.

I couldve spent some time in photoshop and made it look real. Then I wouldve made the front page of nme.com

laineinla
02-27-2007, 09:23 PM

well... they also do celine dion's a new day ... and the king tut exhibit... but i doubt we'll be seeing any egyptian artifacts or celine at coachella... that being said! i'd be soooo soo excited to see prince (as has been suggested as an addition in the past)!

invisiblerobots
02-27-2007, 09:27 PM
We should totally have a section on this board for rumors!

bonerfromgrowingpains
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM

im sorry but what is AEG? also i saw prince on the musicology tour...he was cru jones rad...

ArcadeParade
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
id be really happy for prince on any of the days

suprefan
02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
im sorry but what is AEG? also i saw prince on the musicology tour...he was cru jones rad...

AEG Entertainment. Big company that does concerts, sporting events etc etc etc.

Havocquarm
02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
That'd be amazing. Even if Prince doesnt do Coachella, I will try and catch him on his tour. I love his music and still have yet to see him.

djbionik
02-27-2007, 10:28 PM
ay,

i said it once and i'll say it again. I'd pee my pantalones if Prince shows up. I think it is highly likely, as someone said, because seeing as how goldenvoice did do that thing with madonna last year... put her in the tent. its waaaaaay possible they'll do that again this year. AND GOOD LORDY LORDY I hope they do. (PLEAAAASE!) plus, he's got a new album out, he'd be awesome any night, and he's great dancy dancy music, you HAVE to end the night with good dancy dancy. it's a FESTIVAL. he can do whatever he wants.. be outlandish, eccentric or whatever.
uf.. i could go on forever.

And I have a feeling that splitting the crowd is what they're going for.
c'mon. I'm going into production and learning all about it. Though the outcome looks all nice and generous, it's all about the money! the more you fit, the more money there is involved. :2c

by the way.. i'm still looking for a saturday and sunday ticket. if this happens before i get a ticket then it'll be next to freaking impossible. damn comas.

omg wtf bbq
02-28-2007, 03:33 AM
that would be fucking awesome

Ardentbiscuit
02-28-2007, 05:16 AM
AEG owns Goldenvoice, staples center, home depot center, the la kings and much more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschutz_Entertainment_Group

I could see them having the pull to get Prince but really I've heard no concrete rumors about Prince.

All we know is that he is playing every week in Vegas at the Rio until he starts his world tour and he made a surprise appearance atthe Vegoose at night shows with Maceo Parker (Vegoose is the same promoters as Bonnaroo).

That's all I know...

woogie846
02-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Wasnt Madonna technically "headliner" material? (just on paper) And she got put in the tent. She was also main stage for sure but yeah once again Sahara tent. Put him in the tent I say... You wanna dance dont you?

True, true. And I would love to dance.

scoop49er
02-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Nice rumor, though.

Prince tends to play weird places before heading out on his big tours, sort of as a tune-up.

I've seen him play the 1,000 max. cap. Fillmore in SF twice in the past few years, right before a tour. So, I don't think a 50 minute gig inside the Sahara tent on Friday night would be that far out.

i was actually at one of the shows. valentines day weekend he did 2 shows for the fan club at the fillmore in sf. fucking amazing shows. start at like 1am ended around 3 in the morning. so much fun with prince jamming and rocking like he can. yeha its not that far out since others who are rumoured are pretty much either not doing anything period or are booked for other gigs or just cant cram it into their schedule. i hate saying this since i am a huge prince guy, but i tihnk prince would do something like lollapalooza instead of coachella. he doesnt like to be a follower and hecould take madonna perfomring last year as him trying to coatttail coachella cuz she did it. trust me i have followed prince's career since i was 9(27 yrs now) so ive heard it all. but there is a outside shot. and prince loves to perform period. he doesnt have to do it for money and he has done a ton of club shows just to do it so im gonna monitor it. regardless if you are a prince fan he is going to tour this year! :)-

xbnmx
02-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Why the fuck would Prince be in the Sahara?

MadMatt
02-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Prince "in the tent" ????? Hmmmmm ... I'd go watch him ...

scoop49er
02-28-2007, 07:34 AM
prince does like a challenge and he likesa amibience and a place where people ove to groove so the sahara may be it.

brycerosen
02-28-2007, 08:12 AM
hopefully theyl add prince friday

fober
02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
No thanks.

sweet3400
02-28-2007, 08:30 AM
My vote is saturday for sure.. i would hate to see prince go against Bjork as well.. She is the main reason i am going for sure..... And i absolutely love him

NAcademy93
02-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Please no Prince. He needs to go away, and those that want to see him, let me formally welcome you to 2007. You have had 20 years to see him perform.

Hannahrain
02-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Please no Prince. He needs to go away, and those that want to see him, let me formally welcome you to 2007. You have had 20 years to see him perform.

so every band that's been around for awhile is suddenly obsolete?

let me formally welcome you to a complete load.

faxman75
02-28-2007, 09:23 AM
If that's the case they need to get rid of half the coachella main acts.

I would definitely dig on seeing Prince. Good guitar player and great performer. Man that guy has some great fucking songs. I'm hoping for late night Friday night but whenever and wherever they want to add him is fine with me that would be totally bad ass.

ocpathfinder
02-28-2007, 09:26 AM

did he take you ass-sliding?

Trick Loves The Kids
02-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Prince fucking rocks and if he showed up this year it would be game over.

dontfeedthebird
02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Did somebody say, "Celine!?!?!?"

NAcademy93
02-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I just don't think he fits the festival. Has he even produced a song that you like since 1986? You will say yes, and list a bunch of B.S., but you will be lying. At least RHCP keeps it fresh. Sorry, don't want to hear 1999 in 2007.

Hannahrain
02-28-2007, 09:56 AM
i would be more than happy to see prince perform anything from his career. including 1999. he could play the fucking ABCs and I would love it.

why, you ask?

because he's prince.

ghettojournalist
02-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I just don't think he fits the festival. Has he even produced a song that you like since 1986? You will say yes, and list a bunch of B.S., but you will be lying. At least RHCP keeps it fresh. Sorry, don't want to hear 1999 in 2007.

for the simple fact that "sign o the times" (album) came out in 1987, your entire argument is thrown out.
younger cats, like myself, have not had 20 years to catch prince.
prince was rumored to be at coachella 2004 when "Musicology" came out.
wasn't that on the eve of his big tour?
it would make sense, and take this year's show to another level, if prince were to play in the sahara tent.

NAcademy93
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
"for the simple fact that "sign o the times" (album) came out in 1987, your entire argument is thrown out.
younger cats, like myself, have not had 20 years to catch prince."

Sorry, I was off by one year. Didn't go google it like you. And that record wasn't that good compared to older one's, so I say it validates my point even more.

Younger cats like you can still catch his stage show in Vegas, so quit crying and acting like you have been salivating over seeing Prince perform for your whole life.

I have seen him, and yes, it was a great show. Many many years ago. Seeing him at Coachella? No thanks. From what I hear and read on this board, the Madonna show was a complete disaster last year, and don't want a repeat.

ghettojournalist
02-28-2007, 11:14 AM
"Sorry, I was off by one year. Didn't go google it like you. And that record wasn't that good compared to older one's, so I say it validates my point even more.

Younger cats like you can still catch his stage show in Vegas, so quit crying and acting like you have been salivating over seeing Prince perform for your whole life.

I have seen him, and yes, it was a great show. Many many years ago. Seeing him at Coachella? No thanks. From what I hear and read on this board, the Madonna show was a complete disaster last year, and don't want a repeat.

no need to google; i have that album stuck in my head.
that album is a creative apex in prince's career, since he made most of the album by himself.
the only album that's better is "purple rain".

madonna, musically, doesn't even compare to prince.
she is definitely more popular than prince, but when it comes to music, Prince is where it's at.
Madonna was a disaster because it was performance geared for people who knew the new album.
plus the set was really short for a "headlining" set.
prince knows enough to play an equal amount of old and new and chances are he wouldn't be satisfied with a 6 song set.

omg wtf bbq
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM

Hey, you, yeah you, shut the fuck up.

starrdogg
02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure where this is coming from unless it's just entirely speculation, but I just can't see them adding Prince this year. Unlike Madonna, he's a better fit for the festival and would demand a mainstage slot where he'd play a full set. He'd have to be one of the headliners, not just do what Madonna did and play 5 songs.

Trick Loves The Kids
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM

you just both dissed prince and said RHCP "keep it fresh"

what fucking planet are oyu living on doggie

KenMixtape
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I like that this thread hasn't been moved to the Rumors section.
prince = perfect coachella headliner

NAcademy93
02-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I live on the planet where RHCP continues to put out great music over the last 20 years. What planet do you live on? The one where they glorify the Prince of the 1980's?

I will say it again for the tards who cannot comprehend my post. I just don't think he would be a good act for Coachella. Nothing against his older material or his performances in the past.

ghettojournalist
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
prince and rhcp have rested on their laurels for years now.
both have guitar acts that make anything they do now good.
rhcp may have prince on album sales, but even at their creative peak, they couldn't hold a candle to prince.
prince is too influential to new music to discredit a coachella performance.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Why the fuck would Prince be in the Sahara?

That would be Brilliant!!

wmgaretjax
02-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I live on the planet where RHCP continues to put out great music over the last 20 years.

ha.

elChurro
02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.asd.k12.ak.us/schools/mears/pages/Student_Pages/04_05_2nd_Sem/1st_period/jo_zach/Pictures/_Dave_Chappelle_As_Prince.jpg

ToddThaGod
02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
game blouses.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
http://www.asd.k12.ak.us/schools/mears/pages/Student_Pages/04_05_2nd_Sem/1st_period/jo_zach/Pictures/_Dave_Chappelle_As_Prince.jpg

word...

suprefan
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
. From what I hear and read on this board, the Madonna show was a complete disaster last year, and don't want a repeat.

Prince wouldnt tease the audience and do 5 songs and call it a set.... Like I said, Sahara tent on Saturday and he gets a solid hour to play. It will be epic...

newalias
02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Prince says: Eat your pancakes.

beavington
02-28-2007, 06:40 PM
well... they also do celine dion's a new day ... and the king tut exhibit... but i doubt we'll be seeing any egyptian artifacts or celine at coachella... that being said! i'd be soooo soo excited to see prince (as has been suggested as an addition in the past)!

well considering king tut wont be back in LA again period i think that says that wont be happening. and Celine, thats a little lame. I love how on this board someone mentions anyone slightly mainstream, or at least not completely lost in the pop world and everyone after that comes up with other lame additions. Where the fuck do you guys get them?

bonerfromgrowingpains
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
did he take you ass-sliding?

ass-sliding right after we did a little bicycle boogie with bart taylor...and table-topping in the park...it was childs play...

Alchemy
02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Prince_Harry.jpg

Yes he is going to Coachella & Iraq.

scoop49er
02-28-2007, 09:39 PM
ok if someone wants to try and tell me that rhcp is better than prince?? lol sorry to be so harsh but even though im a huge prince fan, take that out and prince is one of top 5 live performers in the history of music period!!! if you want to debate me, bring it you will lose. and yes sign of the times is a fucking masterpiece but if you want something past that, let me pull out scandalous or insatiable or get off or sexy mf or pussy control or billy jack bitch or days of wild or the ride,etc.etc.etc. prince is talented on another planet. sorry rhcp is ok and has earned alot of love for the years but dont put them on the same stage, it would get ugly for them. trust me. :)

kreutz2112
02-28-2007, 09:42 PM
ok if someone wants to try and tell me that rhcp is better than prince?? lol sorry to be so harsh but even though im a huge prince fan, take that out and prince is one of top 5 live performers in the history of music period!!! if you want to debate me, bring it you will lose. and yes sign of the times is a fucking masterpiece but if you want something past that, let me pull out scandalous or insatiable or get off or sexy mf or pussy control or billy jack bitch or days of wild or the ride,etc.etc.etc. prince is talented on another planet. sorry rhcp is ok and has earned alot of love for the years but dont put them on the same stage, it would get ugly for them. trust me. :)

the shift key is your worst enemy.

suprefan
02-28-2007, 09:43 PM
As if RHCP didnt have it it tough enough though on Saturday having to follow up Arcade Fire then going head to head against Prince(in theory) it would just be a slaughter...

rage patton
02-28-2007, 09:54 PM
the shift key is your worst enemy.

Hahaha. That is awesome.
I would cry if Prince got added and put them on at the same time as RHCP. I would probably see half of each set.

ivankay
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Prince is pretty funny when you see him. One thing that made me laugh during one of the Musicology shows at Staples: He was all pouty because he wasn't getting the reaction he wanted. He went over to a couch on stage and started reading a magazine with Prince on the cover. Staples went nuts.
You saw during the super bowl his fine ability to go from one song to another (during that Musicology tour at the Pond he stopped most of the crowd for a bit by tripping us out with a cover of "A Whole Lot of Love"...tooo cool). If he was doing the Sahara, busting into a minute or 2 of Daft Punk would be too awesome. Since he is a great dancer...time to do a robot.

kreutz2112
02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
...time to do a robot.

Do a robot? or Do the robot?

ivankay
02-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Do a robot? or Do the robot?

Although i can see how "do a robot" can be interpreted a couple of fanciful ways, i was going for "robot" as in the funky dance that is fun to bust out, serve someone proper, and gain the respect of millions. The "a" part was trying to infer the individuality of everyone's sacred robot dance.

The other "do a robot" can be a lot of things along the lines of complicated, dangerous and sometimes down right sexy. Bjork does a robot in "All is Full of Love". i saw this show "Battlestar Gallactica"...lots of robots getting done there.

kreutz2112
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Although i can see how "do a robot" can be interpreted a couple of fanciful ways, i was going for "robot" as in the funky dance that is fun to bust out, serve someone proper, and gain the respect of millions. The "a" part was trying to infer the individuality of everyone's sacred robot dance.

The other "do a robot" can be a lot of things along the lines of complicated, dangerous and sometimes down right sexy. Bjork does a robot in "All is Full of Love". i saw this show "Battlestar Gallactica"...lots of robots getting done there.

well put. I am now in my place.

instinct
04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
He will never be added.

CalmerThanYou
04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
lol