PDA

View Full Version : Desert Valley Fever.

stephen22
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
You know you are gonna get it. I got it bad in 2007 and remained sick til almost June. I remember a large group of boardies got it that year as well.

If don't know what I am talking about, google it. Basically fungi/mold spores are released when the dirt is shook up. You breath it in....and presto, you're sick.

Does anyone know if there is any way to prevent it? All I can think of is wear your scarf over your face when walking through the big dust clouds.

TomAz
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised a doctor in Tennessee was able to diagnose it for you.

insbordnat
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Spores are very small, so a scarf won't help you for shit. Good luck.

phonographer
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
You know you are gonna get it. I got it bad in 2007 and remained sick til almost June. I remember a large group of boardies got it that year as well.

If don't know what I am talking about, google it. Basically fungi/mold spores are released when the dirt is shook up. You breath it in....and presto, you're sick.

Does anyone know if there is any way to prevent it? All I can think of is wear your scarf over your face when walking through the big dust clouds.

Luuucky. Carrying the flesh of the polo field around for that long sounds like a blessing. :pulse

Oh and this

Treatment

There are no published prospective studies that examine optimal antifungal therapy for coccidioidomycosis. Mild cases often do not require treatment. Oral Fluconazole and intravenous Amphotericin B are used in progressive or disseminated disease, or in which patients are immunocompromised. Alternatively, itraconazole or ketoconazole may be used.[14] Posaconazole and voriconazole have also been used.

DopeMatic3002
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I wasn't sick, but my knee was sore for almost a week after standing all dang weekend. This is about the only think I'm worried about this year.