PDA

View Full Version : Strangest act you've seen ?

MarkO
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I went to see Glenn Kotchke & Nels Cline last Saturday night. Some of you will recognize them as being members of Wilco.

Nels came out first with just a Fender and a bunch of pedals. We had ~45mins of noise & feedback all sent thru his array of fx pedals. Weird stuff. Then Glenn came out and played drums for ~45mins. This was more my style; he really is very good.

Then they came out together for ~45mins. This was ok. Almost 2.5hrs of music and not a vocal to be heard !

bballarl
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I saw a horse fucking some chick this one time.

Hannahrain
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Yard Dogs Road Show. fascinating stuff.

sword swallowers, etc.

J~$$$
02-27-2007, 03:44 PM
trained cats in vegas.

bmack86
02-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Trained cats, eh? I think I read about that.
The Blow was really weird. She did original karaoke.

fortydollarsworthofmeat
02-27-2007, 04:41 PM
harry & the potters.

Boourns
02-27-2007, 04:42 PM
One time a drop of Har Mar Armpit Supersweat dripped into my eyeball.

bmack86
02-27-2007, 04:43 PM
oh dear god. That sounds painful

dorkfish
02-27-2007, 04:44 PM
i saw a man eat his own head once.

woogie846
02-27-2007, 04:45 PM
He must have had really, really big teeth.

thaipod
02-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Strangest act I've ever seen... A strip club in Bangkok, Thailand. It involved darts, balloons, whistles, string, cigarettes, razor blades on a string, pepsi bottles, and women who could use their vaginas in astonshing ways.

mrpibb79
02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Dntel in some industrial warehouse downtown. He likey the circuit bending and accordian.

summerkid
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
I went to see Glenn Kotchke & Nels Cline last Saturday night. Some of you will recognize them as being members of Wilco.

Nels came out first with just a Fender and a bunch of pedals. We had ~45mins of noise & feedback all sent thru his array of fx pedals. Weird stuff. Then Glenn came out and played drums for ~45mins. This was more my style; he really is very good.

Then they came out together for ~45mins. This was ok. Almost 2.5hrs of music and not a vocal to be heard !

I saw Glenn open for Jeff Tweedy on Tweedy's solo tour.

All That I Am
02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I saw a fat Kiss cover band .

vinylmartyr
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I went to this fetish thing at the Fais Do Do like 9 years ago where Stephen Perkins and Mike Watt were playing this crazy shit. They had naked people hanging from the ceiling. It was strange.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Various performance art pieces. When I was in college, one of the art students did an homage to Carolee Sheeman in which she slowly pulled a scroll out of her vagina, reading the scroll as she went.

Also, a live show with Tracy and the Plastics, which was weird just because all 3 members of the band are the same person.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I went to this fetish thing at the Fais Do Do like 9 years ago where Stephen Perkins and Mike Watt were playing this crazy shit. They had naked people hanging from the ceiling. It was strange.

I want to go to that venue - I always drive past it. I wonder if they're still hosting gigs?

vinylmartyr
02-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I went to this DnB club called Database there for like 3 years and someone got shot outside by gang bangers and died. They were trying to kill one of the DJ's but they missed and killed an innocent bystander. They do still host events. Check the concert section of the LA weekly.

MarkO
02-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I can see I've been outdone in this thread.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Gangbanger shootings? This has the place has the potential to surpass my love of The Smell!

(Although in all honesty, I hardly ever go to anything anymore unless it's in my neighborhood)

vinylmartyr
02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
The Smell is on skid row. Its a little scary.

psychic friend
02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
splendor, i think that was the name. naked guy with microphones taped in every hole of his body, jumping up and down. that was the strangest act I have ever seen.

even before the lsd kicked in.

msklvr
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I saw a band called The Mormon Church and they played dressed in white button shirts and ties with bike helmets on.

SubBass49
02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I saw Rahzel & Mike Patton before they were called Peeping Tom. At Canes in San Diego. They did all kinds of weird shit...including bringing out a radio and tuning into stations and performing to whatever was on the radio in a freestyle improv kind of way...shit was cool...wish I had a video camera with me...

TomAz
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Bob Log III

http://www.tucsonunderground.com/images/IM001958_boblog_main.jpg

vinylmartyr
02-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I saw Bob Log open for RL Burnside at Spaceland.

full on idle
02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
man man

bmack86
02-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Mindless Self Indulgence were weird, but not in a good way. They played short bursts of songs and the singer burned himself with a cigarette

menikmati
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
keane

hangthedj112
02-27-2007, 08:51 PM
harry & the potters.

I came in here to say that! I saw Harry and the potters play in the back room oof my local library...and Draco and the Malfoys opened.

Jenniehoo
02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
GWAR!!! GWAR!!!!

mountmccabe
02-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Bob Log III

I'll second this, actually.

Boourns
02-28-2007, 12:45 AM
TV SHERIFF

kreutz2112
02-28-2007, 12:49 AM
M.I.R.V.

jackstraw94086
02-28-2007, 12:53 AM
TV SHERIFF

fuckin' a. Everyone in the audience was flabbergasted by them. I remember the video ape running through the crowd, pushing people around and then dancing on the back bar.

I'm pissed I just missed their last performance here a few months ago.

codytwo
02-28-2007, 01:06 AM
The Locust tops the list for me. Freakin weirdos.

summerkid
02-28-2007, 02:23 AM
I have to say the Robot Ate Me is the weirdest act I've seen. I saw him at this small little shack called the Che Cafe and he comes out with a modified record player and puts something on and then goes into the crowd yelling "Throw your robes on me! throw your robes on me!" and everyone throws their jackets and sweatshirts on top of him and he's just standing there yelling covered in jackets. After that he goes up to some guy and starts humping him it was just bizarre. He started talking about living in his car and doing drugs and who knows. Not a fun show is all i know.

SubBass49
02-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Hehehe...I saw Black Heart Procession at the Che Cafe once...twas cool...

Stefinitely Maybe
02-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Wolf Eyes were... interesting.

And I saw Aphex Twin about ten years ago and two giant teddybears came on stage and then undressed and they were a naked man and a naked woman and then the woman pulled out a razor and shaved off all the man's hair on stage and then they ran around chasing each other.

mob roulette
02-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Bob Log III

I'll second this, actually.

i'll third this actually. also crash worship bitches. satan!

dedzilla
02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I think FM Einheit. I like experimental noise but always so hit or miss. The shows are always interesting if not a little strange. Who would have guessed, right?

dedzilla
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
hasil adkins
bob log
nels cline/glenn kotchke/alex cline
HELLA
the locusts
the cliftons
GWAR
slipknot
rammstein
various gg allin cover bands
thurston moore with dj spooky and nels cline
SHELLAC(steve albini is GOD)
the residents
guns n roses(2001)

GG Allin cover bands? Wow, I'm curious now. What are they doing that he hasn't? Dare I ask?

I Am Tom Waits
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I saw a human man captured by rascally robots.

HorrorLibraryNet
02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I saw the Pet Shop Boys once (really!)...and it was a VERY strange show. They had an entire troupe of ballet dancers with them that did interpretive dancing...wearing pig masks and jack-o-lanterns on their heads that other dancers smashed with baseball bats.

I also saw a Laurie Anderson performance that was a bit unnerving.

I'm going to venture to say that both performances were intentionally...odd for the sake of being odd.

It was the 80's after all...

Oh! I edited to add this.

I saw The Sugarcubes perform once, and since the entire audience didn't know who they were and remained sitting...Bjork announced that the band would perform the second half of their set sitting down. Was funny to see the entire band just sit down on the stage and play their songs.

meyouseek
02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Dang, I've been to a few of the mentioned shows.

M.I.R.V. opened for Primus at a show I saw... yes, weird.
Aphex Twin had the giant teddy bears from the Donkey Rhubarb video at a show in San Berdoo... no nudity or shaving, booo!
TV Sherrif rocks... caught a few of his LA appearances
The Mormons (msklvr's "The Mormon Church") are always good for a laugh. They played a set in the street outside the Detour fest in downtown LA last year. They had amps in baby strollers and a megaphone istead of a mic.

Someone also mentioned Rammstein which is the best live act on the planet! A quick story about a Rammstein show to follow.

meyouseek
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
So the lead singer of Rammstein, Till, comes out for an encore with a laser beam coming from one eye of his sunglasses and his jacket on fire. He's a pretty big dude and he had a mohawk at the time so the whole scene was pretty wicked.

Till walks up to the mic and starts singing. He does the song with his jacket on fire the whole time, then moves away from the mic. The keyboard player comes over with a fire extinguisher to ostensibly put out the flaming jacket. So he blasts Till with the extinguisher and a huge ball of flame erupts off of him. He does it again and the ball of flames is even bigger. Finally some dude runs out from back stage and smothers the flames with a big blanket.

Till lays motionless on the ground. The band stops and the crowd seems uncomfortable. More than a few seconds go by.

Till begins to move. Rolls over and stands up. He then removes a mask that looks like his own face he'd been wearing and takes a bow.

See these guys whenever you get a chance.
www.dw-world.de/image/0,,1037971_4,00.jpg

meyouseek
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Son of a bitch... http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,1037971_4,00.jpg

HorrorLibraryNet
02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Here's some video footage of that 'smoking jacket' of Till's...

NTkRTuM2LV8

Some more of their pyrotechnics...

YMTjUrJViP0

Benis23
03-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Let's see, the strangest act I've seen would have to be the Flying Camel

SubBass49
03-01-2007, 05:31 AM
KaBoobie the flying camel? lol

http://webpages.charter.net/superheroes/shkaboobie.jpg

gaypalmsprings
04-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Bumped for gratytrainridesagain :dumbo

ThomThom
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Planningtorock

traviscanada
Wesley Willis was sweet.

IliRi29maOw

gratytrainridesagain
Thanks GPS I'd say That One Guy

wmgaretjax
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Also, a live show with Tracy and the Plastics, which was weird just because all 3 members of the band are the same person.

That's a friend of mine. She's a character.

frozen pilgrim
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Mindless Self Indulgence were weird, but not in a good way. They played short bursts of songs and the singer burned himself with a cigarette

MSI are (IMO) a great live act.
they only played short bursts of songs because their songs are only short bursts. and the abuse the crap out of the emos and scenesters in the audience.
I once saw the singer take sixty bucks cash from some spoiled emo kid to get on stage and "dance". then when the music started, he sat the guy down and just rubbed his (the singer's) ass in his (the kid's) face while the bass player (who's kinda cute) held him still.
then they tossed him off.

at the same show, he pointed at some hardcore scene kid and was like "wow, nice outfit. you're the only once in the whole fucking club who looks gayer than I do"

they're also noise dance punk. or something like that. totally not a band with a broad appeal. I can see someone totally hating them.

whynotsmile99
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Strangest act I've ever seen... A strip club in Bangkok, Thailand. It involved darts, balloons, whistles, string, cigarettes, razor blades on a string, pepsi bottles, and women who could use their vaginas in astonshing ways.

oh man, I know what you mean. Did you see "pussy blow out birthday cake?" That was the best one

bigc1
04-02-2008, 06:14 PM
The Locust
Lightning Bolt
Arab on Radar

Boourns
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
is extreme elvis still around?

wmgaretjax
04-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Maybe Nihilist Assault Group?

Three guys in masks with white Xs on them. Two guys were in back with all kinds of crazy objects and turntables, destroying them and making absolute straight up noise, while a third sat in front of them sipping wine.

Considering they followed Prurient who attacked a large PA with a microphone shirtless beforehand, and vomited several times from the physical strain... They weren't that weird in the context of the show I guess.

bballarl
04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I dl'd a Prurient release once. It did nothing for me. Masochism is cool though, I guess.

M Sparks
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Hmmm...I'm disappointed in myself that I can't come up with anything too strange.

I did see Rammstein in '97, which was cool, because I think they had only played a few shows in the US at that time. Plus, they were an opening act. You don't really walk into a show expecting to see an opening act setting everything on fire. But I didn't think it was strange...more like a 70's Kiss show.

I've seen FM Einheit too, and it was disappointingly normal. Almost like classical music. (Unless I'm mixing him up with Phylr, who was at the same show.)

I guess I gotta go with Genitorturers, but that's more silly shock value and titillation than strangeness. They get fans up on stage and perform light S&M on them. The show I saw, they had a guy duct taped to a cross wearing an iron mask and they played it like a percussion instrument with a grinder.

Oh shit...grinder...of course. Babyland is the strangest act I've seen. How could I forget...

T9fmC-qn7QE

EDIT- Pere Ubu is up there, too...

Robototron
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Planningtorock

Oh man, when she opened for LCD Soundsystem it was so funny to see everyone's reaction to her. Me and some other guy standing a few feet away were like the only people feeling it, haha. I loved it, but I'd been dying to see her live for ages!

Weirdest thing I saw was Acid Mothers Temple's Japanese New Music Festival tour two years ago. Ruins and AMT playing together and separately in a bunch of different "acts" that ranged from awesome to totally weird. A description of the show:

DESCRIPTION OF THE SHOW FROM TONIC
Japanese New Music Festival: Zubi Zuba X plus Akaten plus RonRuins plus Ruins Alone plus Zoffy plus Shrinp Wark plus Acid Mothers Temple SWR plus Seikazoku
$15, $15 in advance
Featuring Yoshida Tatsuya (the Ruins), Tsuyama Atsushi & Kawabata Makoto (both Acid Mother's Temple) in different combinations.

Zubi Zuba X: (Yoshida/Tsuyama/Kawabata) Eccentric poly-rhythmic a cappella ensemble. It covers from Gregorian chant to ethnic music, to do-wop to hardcore screaming, heavily using irregular rhythms and polyrhythm. All sorts of ideas and aberrant musicality overturn the image of a cappella. their totally meaningless lyrics and desperate performances throw the audiences into the abyss of the laughter and admiration. it makes the concept of "singing ability"nonsense.

Akaten: (Tsuyama/Yoshida) Formed in 1995 with the motto of "irresponsibleness" and "perfunctoriness." Using daily commodities like scissors, toothbrush, zipper, camera, and plastic bottle as percussions, and shouting their brand names over and over as the "songs," the show is performed under the concept of low cost and maximum sound effect. AKATEN is the experimental convenience store punk band that provides the sound images of cheap and simple daily lives.

RonRuins:
Ruins Alone: (Yoshida) RUINS is pioneer of Drum & Bass duo. Tunes are complicated and mysterious, and songs are sung in the language of their own invention. It's high-tension, wild, heavy, speedy, acute, and powerful tremendous ensemble never sounds like they are only two players. since last bassist left Yoshida still seeking a bassist and currently he has been playing as RUINS ALONE. playing RUINS songs with sampling bass. this time Yoshida will play songs from Koenji Hyakkei and Korekyojinn too.
Zoffy: (Tsuyama/Kawabata) Formed in 1998. Zoffy's music hints both at the members' deep musical knowledge via their improvised performances of troubadour music and European trad, and also at their deep love for rock via their destructivist covers of classic rock songs, that no longer sounds like anything but ZOFFY. The group believes that humor is essential in music, and their unprecedented performances stray far from the beaten track. Is this the Ultima Thule that rock music has long been aiming for?

Shrinp Wark: (Kawabata/Yoshida) A new improvising duo consisting of Yoshida from Ruins and Kawabata from AMT. group inspired by This Heat and band name taken from their song "Shrink Wrap". Cosmic chemical reaction sound that embraces a multidimensional chaos based upon the principles of minimalism, an anarchistic warping of the time axis, and ultra-accelerated revolving of time particles.

Acid Mothers Temple SWR: (Kawabata/Tsuyama/Yoshida) Acid Mothers Temple have rapidly become acclaimed as the greatest, most extreme trip psychedelic group in the world. SWR is the AMT Family's most powerful battle-formation yet. featuring Tsuyama and Kawabata from the original AMT and Yoshida from Ruins. their crushingly acute freakout sound will pulverize the world's legions of wannabe psych groups.

Seikazoku: (Kawabata/Tsuyama/Yoshida) Formed in 1996, the group nonchalantly references classic prog and rock, ethnic music, jazz and contemporary composition. Improvised music for holy trinity heresy that runs the full gamut of ethnic and electric instruments, primitive stupidity, the suspicious stench of medieval alchemy, the raw power of early rock music, all leavened with a pinch of cosmic incoherency.

Also saw Tarentel play a drone set opening for EitS in 05, but that isn't as weird, I just don't really like drone that much. Also saw some crazy/weird shit at Fuck Yeah Fest last year.

Mr.Nipples
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit

bmack86
04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I forgot to mention Sunburned Hand of the Man.

Robototron
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I forgot to mention Sunburned Hand of the Man.

You lucky fucker, how were they?

rage patton
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I think I read someone mention Hella earlier. They seriously are weird. Their guitarist looks like a hunchbacked Jesus. And the drummer is a monster. Like, afer the band had all left the stage, the drum just kept playing until he litteraly broke his drum set. He put a whole through his bass drum, then stabed his snare with his drum stick and proceeded to hit his crash and toms with his one drums stick until he fell off his chair. After that he he waved the crowd and walked away. It was amazing. I hope one day they will be at Coachella.

algunz
04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I saw a show about 15 years ago at what is now The Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa. They were called something like Cake, but they weren't the Cake that we know. At least I don't think so, there was a girl on bass and vocals. Anywho, they handed out like 10 of those collapsible water containers that you take camping. They were filled with nitrous oxide -that was strangely lovely.

Jane's Addiction had some pretty odd shows with beautiful naked women practically fornicating on stage. (There was some band that did have sex on stage. I have no idea who they were, but they were #1 on VH1's strangest moments in rock.)

Also, I saw a band called The Leslie Spit Trio, and the lead singer kept spitting on the audience.

luckyface
04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I think I read someone mention Hella earlier. They seriously are weird. Their guitarist looks like a hunchbacked Jesus. And the drummer is a monster. Like, afer the band had all left the stage, the drum just kept playing until he litteraly broke his drum set. He put a whole through his bass drum, then stabed his snare with his drum stick and proceeded to hit his crash and toms with his one drums stick until he fell off his chair. After that he he waved the crowd and walked away. It was amazing. I hope one day they will be at Coachella.

Isn't he the drummer for Team Sleep too? Yeah, that dude can really hit the skins.

rage patton
04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Isn't he the drummer for Team Sleep too? Yeah, that dude can really hit the skins.

Yeah I heard he was the drummer for Team Sleep too. But his drums for them seem a lot more toned down then the drums for Hella. In Hella they rythmic, but manical.

algunz
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
First published: 08 Jul 2004, 11:40

AFTENPOSTEN

Couple won't pay fine for sex on stage

The environmental activists who claim they had sex on stage at a live music festival in Norway this week to help protect the world's rain forests say they won't pay fines doled out by police. That means the case will likely head for court.

"We'd rather go to jail than accept a fine," claimed Tommy Holm Ellingsen, who had sex with partner Leona Johansson before an audience of thousands at the Quart Festival in Kristiansand on Tuesday. The stunt, which concert organizers claim came as a complete surprise, has set off shockwaves, even in liberal Norway.

Both Ellingsen and Johansson were called in for police questioning on Wednesday and later slapped with fines of NOK 10,000 (about USD 1,400) each for violating statutes dealing with public decency.

Ellingsen claims the couple performed the surprise sex stunt during a set by the controversial band The Cumshots "actually to draw attention to the rain forests, which are in the process of disappearing."

The couple also runs a porno web site called "Fuck for Forest," which offers pornographic photos for money that they claim they donate to rain forest preservation groups. " We're idealists, call us 'environmental radicals,'" Ellingsen said. "Porn is just a means of reaching our goals."

The case now seems bound for court, since the couple is appealing their fines. Police also fined all five band members of The Cumshots the same amount, but it remained unclear whether they'd be accepted or appealed.

Festival organizers, who claim they knew nothing of the planned sex stunt, have avoided any punitive action so far. Festival chief Toffen Gunnufsen said he was irritated that he had to use so much time dealing with the matter.

"This is a music festival with more than a hundred concerts," he said. "That's where the focus should be." Among the headliners are Alicia Keys and Morrisey.

algunz
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/DSC_2918_1032180_jp_206829h.jpg

bballarl
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Rock.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I dl'd a Prurient release once. It did nothing for me. Masochism is cool though, I guess.

The thing is, I've seen him several times and it was never really like that. He's always intense, but he must have had a bad day or something. It was pretty unreal.

And Hella is fucking awesome live.

rage patton
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
That is oooooooooooooooooold news Gunz. I remember reading about that a few years ago. It is still pretty funny though.

algunz
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Sure it's old, but it's topic appropriate.

I just want to participate.

shakermaker113
04-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I once saw someone make and eat pancakes on stage. this was after coming on stage with the largest piece of toy bacon you've ever seen. (at least 8' tall).

I don't remember who it was. some awful bay area dj act that was opening for kid koala last october.

Sushov23
04-02-2008, 10:54 PM
that is funny, I remember hearing about that. The picture though, LOL, ha.

Ardentbiscuit
04-03-2008, 12:08 AM
My 2 strangest band experiences..

First off, Crash Worship.

I can only define seeing them live as a noise experiment crossed with Mardi Gras, burning Man, and tons of more chaos. I just recall lots of drums, topless girls, giant skeletons on sticks that spit up fake blood on me and much more that's indescribable.

The Go Nuts.

First off the band members dressed as different characters. Donut Prince, a prince with donuts on a crown, Darth Vato, a Mexican darth vader and a guy in a dog suit playing drums. They continually pelted the audience with snack foods using vacuum cleaners, catapults, launchers and other means. I got hit in the head with James Brown cookies.

bmack86
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
You lucky fucker, how were they?

They were fantastic. They did some of the strangest music I'd ever heard. It was similar to the less accessible parts of Headdress, in all the right ways. One of the guys wore a Horse mask and waved a white flag for his contribution. Another guy drummed a plastic lamb.