PDA

View Full Version : It's Raining a Designing Woman

captncrzy
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Dixie Carter, best known for her role on "Designing Women" died Saturday at 70.

Publicist Steve Rohr, who represented Carter as well as her husband actor Hal Halbrook, would not disclose where she died or the cause of death.

"This has been a terrible blow to our family," Holbrook said in a written statement. "We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy."

She had been married to Holbrook since 1984.

Carter made her professional stage debut in 1960 in a Memphis production of "Carousel." In 1963, she moved to New York City and won the part in a production of Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale."

In 1974, Carter filled in for actress Nancy Pinkerton as Dorian Cramer on the soap opera "One Life to Live." She was soon cast as Assistant D.A. Olivia Brandeis "Brandy" Henderson on another popular soap "The Edge of Night." She appeared on the show from 1974-76. After leaving the program, Carter relocated from New York to Los Angeles to pursue prime time television roles.

She went on to appear in "Out of the Blue," "On Our Own," "Diff'rent Strokes" and "Filthy Rich" (1982), created by created by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, showrunner for Carter next show, "Designing Women."

The popular sitcom centered on the working and personal lives of four Southern women and one man in an interior design firm in Atlanta, Georgia. It aired on CBS from September 29, 1986- May 24, 1993. In addition to Carter, it starred Delta Burke, Annie Potts, Jean Smart and Meshach Taylor.

She would also appear on such TV shows as "Family Law," "Law and Order: SVU" and "Desperate Housewives" which earned her an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series in 2007.

She also starred in several Broadway musicals and plays and most recently portrayed diva Maria Callas in Terrence McNally's "Master Class," a role created by Zoe Caldwell.

guedita
04-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Aw...she was my favorite Sugarbaker. RIP.

donkey sex
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I like that show. Was singin 'The Greatest American Hero' tv theme earlier. Watch alot television.

"Look what happened to meee, I cant believe in myselfff..."

donkey sex
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
e9Q3orQhEcA

9PQPO0mZG_k

FoO5H_UKCrw

donkey sex
04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
2drv0joKUcA

9AIaakO9YDw

bNg-xClEnqM

Okay, that enough. Should keep you company at night.

captncrzy
04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I like that show. Was singin 'The Greatest American Hero' tv theme earlier. Watch alot television.

"Look what happened to meee, I cant believe in myselfff..."

Suddenly I'm upon top of the world
Couldn't have been somebody elllseeeeee

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air
I never thought I could feel so freeheehee
Flyin away
On a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not, it's just meeeeee

captncrzy
04-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Aw...she was my favorite Sugarbaker. RIP.

Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent war?" she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamond tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was the Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton, and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie - just so you will know - and your children will someday know - is the night the lights went out in Georgia!

I'm saying I want you and your equipment out of here now. If you are looking for somebody to suck pearls, then I suggest you try finding yourself an oyster. Because I am not a woman who does that, as a matter of fact, I don't know any woman who does that, because it's stupid. And it doesn't have any more to do with decorating than having cleavage and looking sexy has to do with working in a bank. These are not pictures about the women of Atlanta. These are about just the same thing they're always about. And it doesn't matter whether the clothes are on or off... it's just the same ol' message. And I don't care how many pictures you've taken of movie stars - when you start snapping photos of serious, successful businessmen like Donald Trump and Lee Iacocca in unzipped jumpsuits with wet lips, straddling chairs, then we'll talk.

Oh, my goodness. Suzanne, do something. That could be embarrassing. I mean, in 45 minutes when the finest people in Georgia are gathered here before me, I wouldn't want anyone to say, "Did you see that woman with her head stuck in the staircase? Yes. That woman the Governor just stepped over? Don't you think her pantyhose are a little dark for her dress?"

In general it has been the men who have done the raping and the robbing and the killing and the war-mongering for the last two thousand years.... and it's been the men who have done the pillaging and the beheading and the subjecating of whole races into slavery. It has been the men who have done the law making and the money making and the most of the mischief making! So if the world isn't quite what you had in mind you have only yourselves to thank!!

JULIA: Alma Jean, I'm terribly sorry. I'm gonna have to ask you to move your car.

ALMA JEAN: Why?

JULIA: (pulling her towards the door) Because you're leaving. The only thing worse than all these people who never had any morals before AIDS are all you holier-than-thou types who think you're exempt from getting it.

ALMA JEAN: Well, for your information, I am exempt. I haven't lived like these people, and I don't care what you say, Julia Sugarbaker, I believe this is God's punishment for what they've done.

SUZANNE: Oh yeah? Then how come lesbians get it less?

ALMA JEAN: That is not for me to say.......I just know that these people are getting what they deserve!

JULIA: Alma Jean, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to? I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is.......if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, that you would be at the free clinic all the time!

gaypalmsprings
04-11-2010, 08:48 AM
This is very sad. That show was way gay. RIP

JustSteve
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
my condolences, gps.

stuporfly
04-11-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm glad all my gay friends have Betty White's forthcoming appearance on Saturday Night Live to keep their spirits afloat during this rough time.