PDA

View Full Version : Coachella close to sell out per OC Register

coolhandluck
04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
From an interview with Paul Tollett, although Paul didn't actually say it.

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/09/coachella-2010-a-few-moments-with-mastermind-paul-tollett-as-we-gear-up-for-another-great-one/22987/

Besides, all the grumbling in the world hasn’t stopped three-day passes from virtually selling out a week in advance. At press time, very limited quantities remained.

Stickjohn
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM
good read!

Rosemont17
04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
nice read.. thanks!

alisonnn
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
great interview, got me super excited! thanks!

PrettyRagdoll
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Awesome find! My favorite line --> “And that’s when it hit me: this is a huge show.” - Paul T

digitaldragon03
04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Paul T always puts out a good interview before the festival to get us all excited and explain his reasoning for the decisions he makes. The transparency is great.

blackchango
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
very nice

obzen
04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Neat.

Sexecutioner
04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
great article, but why does every crowd picture have to a mega-douche front and center? that one dude thinks he's tiesto.

wonder if the schedule really is done? i'm super worried about conflicts this year.

cuauhtemoc723
04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
the guy in the middle picture. nice biceps!

JustSteve
04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
great article, but why does every crowd picture have to a mega-douche front and center? that one dude thinks he's tiesto.

wonder if the schedule really is done? i'm super worried about conflicts this year.

gotta be close since booklets need to be printed up.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-09-2010, 04:55 PM

It's the OC Register.

canexplain
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Hummm that was a pretty good article. I wonder if there was a hint that Radiohead will be touring soon. It was also great that he realized the talk about no one day tics and in and outs. Sometimes I think people at the top delegate to the point where they don't know what's going on in detail. Not Mr T though. I was about a paragraph and a half in the OC one year I went. They interviewed us for about 5 minutes but you know how that goes ...

obzen
04-09-2010, 05:23 PM
http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/l0mop0-b78626473z.120100409141946000g02nmdav.1.jpg
HOW MUCH OF A MEGA-DOUCHE CAN YOU BE?!?!??

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/l0moov-b78626473z.120100409141946000g7cnmcjv.1.jpg

I CAN BE THIS MUCH OF A MEGA-DOUCHE!!!!1!

thefrush
04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The guy on his left is facepalming.

obzen
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, noticed that too.

suprefan
04-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Thats me, putting my hat in front of my face, cant be making it known I am next to the douche right?

CRUSHING BLOWS

obzen
04-09-2010, 06:42 PM
CRUSHING BLOWS
http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/l0mop1-b78626473z.120100409141946000g7cnmck1.1.jpg

ivankay
04-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Good stuff. Yet another thing to get me excited. i recognized the people in the first picture because i took a couple of them later while they were still on the rail for MBV:

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/files/2010/04/coachella1.jpg
The OC Register pic of them in the day

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/4287256176_4be2a6e88d.jpg
Later that night

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/4286517677_60e475ac35.jpg

canexplain
04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Mike, I am so envious of you !!! Have a great Coachella and of course take lots of pics ...

suprefan
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
The holocaust destroyed them, and The Cure bored em...

obzen
04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Who didn't The Holocaust destroy?

ivankay
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
The holocaust destroyed them, and The Cure bored em...

The picture was during MBV. i would hope the Cure didn't bore them and they maintained their rail position for that incredible ending. (http://www.coachellarecordings.com/video/watch.cfm?v=3064868)

Mike, I am so envious of you !!! Have a great Coachella and of course take lots of pics ...

Thanks Ron. Very nervous and excited about next week. i'm at that point where i wonder if i remember how to take pictures.

blackchango
04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
The picture was during MBV. i would hope the Cure didn't bore them and they maintained their rail position for that incredible ending. (http://www.coachellarecordings.com/video/watch.cfm?v=3064868)

Thanks Ron. Very nervous and excited about next week. i'm at that point where i wonder if i remember how to take pictures.

Watching that footage always breaks my heart.

Stickjohn
04-10-2010, 06:13 AM
ivankay's photos are always good, but the ones above are really cool.

phxcat
04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
“Of course I care about everyone who thinks of coming to Coachella,” he says. “But if you’ve got all these people who want to go for three days, I’d rather give them the opportunity first.”

:) Of course, if it sells out soon there will be no second.

SDsoldier7
04-10-2010, 08:08 AM
“Of course I care about everyone who thinks of coming to Coachella,” he says. “But if you’ve got all these people who want to go for three days, I’d rather give them the opportunity first.” He’s keen to retain a certain vibe like you only find at festivals like Bonnaroo in Tennessee and Glastonbury in England. “When you’re on your third day … so many emotions have happened … and you become close to a lot of people that you met out there. It’s such a great feeling.”

Paul T!!!

JustSteve
04-10-2010, 08:22 AM
i always tell people he is as much a fan as all of us, he just happens to be the one running the show, too.

untzcrate
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
i always tell people he is as much a fan as all of us, he just happens to be the one running the show, too.

Regardless of your well-founded hate for me in the beginning, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this.

Josesativa
04-10-2010, 01:20 PM
i wont be able to get my ticket till monday think i can make it two more days?? im fucking stressing

crazzz2007
04-10-2010, 01:30 PM
sorry, just sold out. i'll sell you mine for $525.

boarderwoozel3
04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
“The scheduling is hard for me right now,” Paul Tollett said with a slightly exasperated sigh.

I'll bet.

Josesativa
04-10-2010, 02:39 PM
sorry, just sold out. i'll sell you mine for $525.

ill give 1050 for it

Foucault
04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Good stuff. Yet another thing to get me excited. i recognized the people in the first picture because i took a couple of them later while they were still on the rail for MBV:

Later that night

I've always wondered: where do you pee after camping out in the front row hour after hour?

fatbastard
04-10-2010, 03:24 PM
OC Register provides limited news; lots of advertisment for patio furniture and maple home furnishings. Polly pie coupons are the only thing worth the price of the paper.

psycobetabuckdown
04-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I've always wondered: where do you pee after camping out in the front row hour after hour?

Some people can hold it or simply don't have to pee much. My friend and I camped out for Tool in 2006 and I don't remember having to use the portable at all. Maybe by the end of the night but not badly.

cansei de ser sexme
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Gatorade bottle. 'nuff said.

darkjustice
04-10-2010, 04:25 PM
^^^

burritoluca
04-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Later that night

You guys caught me blazing one down during MBV... No joke.

ivankay
04-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Cool. Thanks for making that one of my favorite crowd shots i took last year. If you want to see the collection it is a part of, Day 3 in my sig.

PrettyRagdoll
04-10-2010, 05:23 PM

You don't. You drink enough to not get woefully dehydrated and that's it. Or at least, that's what I did for Radiohead at APW

weeklymix
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah when I've camped a stage at any fest I have not peed.

ivankay
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
You guys caught me blazing one down during MBV... No joke.

Since the discussion is about staying on the rail for the day and what you have to do about peeing, how about sharing your tale.

Botrocker
04-10-2010, 05:39 PM
It was so easy to get to the rail for MBV. I did it drunk off tequila with a makeshift bong in hand.

sacleonard
04-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Nice article.

zikade
04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I camped eight hours for Bjork and never even thought about having to pee. You just sweat out the water.

burritoluca
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Since the discussion is about staying on the rail for the day and what you have to do about peeing, how about sharing your tale.

Sprinted for the main stage as soon as the gates opened, posted up with three other friends on the right side of the stage. We each brought a single water bottle to drink sparingly throughout the day. The trick to not having to pee while you're waiting that long is to remain just hydrated enough that you're not passing out--I drank very small sips throughout the day whenever I got parched, but never large gulps; I wanted to conserve the water, and I didn't want to put enough water in my stomach that I would have to pee too early on in the day. We ate big breakfasts in the camping grounds (Coolhaus '09!) because we knew we wouldn't be eating until later that night. We were outside all day, so we ended up sweating out most of our body water, but the one water bottle actually ended up working throughout most of the day, especially for cottonmouth.
With regards to peeing, we used the water bottles, and it was dark enough when we had to pee that we could do it pretty discreetly behind the rail. We were cautious though, so we stuffed the water bottle down the front of our pants and spent about 5-10 minutes positioning it aerodynamically for minimum spillage, comfort, etc... The trick to not spilling, especially with a water bottle with a small mouth, is to pee very very slowly so that your stream is small and it trickles into the bottle. If you pee too fast it can spray and get out of control--you don't want that. After we were done, we capped the bottles and dropped them by our feet.
It's a disgusting process, I know, but in the end it's Coachella. You're there, camping out in 90-degree weather, getting dirt, dust and sweat in all of your nether regions for a beautiful weekend of filthy awesomeness and when you have the option of experiencing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, My Bloody Valentine and the Cure from the front row, what's the harm of a little pee in a bottle?

Hope my tale from the front helped. I apologize for the icky details, but I hoped they could help any future denizens of the infamous front rail with staying safe and comfortable for a long, amazing day.

heyeric
04-10-2010, 07:58 PM
this year...if your going, step on the bottle after.

burritoluca
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
this year...if your going, step on the bottle after.

Haha, I am going this year, but it remains to be seen whether or not it's worth camping out all day for any stages...

Suffacated
04-10-2010, 08:07 PM
The trick to not spilling, especially with a water bottle with a small mouth, is to pee very very slowly so that your stream is small and it trickles into the bottle. If you pee too fast it can spray and get out of control--you don't want that. After we were done, we capped the bottles and dropped them by our feet.

Trickles?
WTF!

zachyd
04-10-2010, 08:55 PM
im really curious what the final ticket count is going to be this year...

grannock
04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I seriously laugh at anyone who rail camps for an entire day at a festival. Learn to enjoy.

the goat
04-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Sprinted for the main stage as soon as the gates opened, posted up with three other friends on the right side of the stage. We each brought a single water bottle to drink sparingly throughout the day. The trick to not having to pee while you're waiting that long is to remain just hydrated enough that you're not passing out--I drank very small sips throughout the day whenever I got parched, but never large gulps; I wanted to conserve the water, and I didn't want to put enough water in my stomach that I would have to pee too early on in the day. We ate big breakfasts in the camping grounds (Coolhaus '09!) because we knew we wouldn't be eating until later that night. We were outside all day, so we ended up sweating out most of our body water, but the one water bottle actually ended up working throughout most of the day, especially for cottonmouth.
With regards to peeing, we used the water bottles, and it was dark enough when we had to pee that we could do it pretty discreetly behind the rail. We were cautious though, so we stuffed the water bottle down the front of our pants and spent about 5-10 minutes positioning it aerodynamically for minimum spillage, comfort, etc... The trick to not spilling, especially with a water bottle with a small mouth, is to pee very very slowly so that your stream is small and it trickles into the bottle. If you pee too fast it can spray and get out of control--you don't want that. After we were done, we capped the bottles and dropped them by our feet.
It's a disgusting process, I know, but in the end it's Coachella. You're there, camping out in 90-degree weather, getting dirt, dust and sweat in all of your nether regions for a beautiful weekend of filthy awesomeness and when you have the option of experiencing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, My Bloody Valentine and the Cure from the front row, what's the harm of a little pee in a bottle?

Hope my tale from the front helped. I apologize for the icky details, but I hoped they could help any future denizens of the infamous front rail with staying safe and comfortable for a long, amazing day.

Dedication, thy name is Burritoluca. Nice work, sir.

Also, I just saw weeklymix's new sig, so:
"I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, Beater of Ass.......Be a hitter, Babe."

sonnyboy11
04-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Who didn't The Holocaust destroy?

The grounds around the main stage was literally a wasteland after that set. I won't ever forget the performance... or the aftermath.

Ride a Tire!
04-11-2010, 04:30 AM
I thought you were supposed to be an asshole and push your way to the front of the crowd for every act. As long as you remember to say, "excuse me" as you shove everyone the fuck out of the way, it seems to be okay. Right?

grannock
04-11-2010, 06:37 AM
As you push your way up front just say "My friends are all up there saving my spot, I had to pee." Everyone gets out of your way if you imply you were already at the front.

Suffacated
04-11-2010, 06:44 AM
And people wonder what the elbow to the ribcage was all about?
For every action there is an equal if not more painful reaction.

canexplain
04-11-2010, 08:20 AM
What's with all the multiple posts?

blackchango
04-11-2010, 08:45 AM
OC Register provides limited news; lots of advertisment for patio furniture and maple home furnishings. Polly pie coupons are the only thing worth the price of the paper.

mmmmmm polly's pies !

NiceDream
04-11-2010, 12:27 PM
I camped eight hours for Bjork and never even thought about having to pee. You just sweat out the water.

i think this is pretty much it. you sweat the water out. i've done this so many times. the longest i've gone is w radiohead @ coachella. i got to the rail about noon. its not so bad, really. ...

i packed about 12 bottles of water in my backpack and took secret sips from them throughout the day. also, you're not too hungry coz you're just excitd and hot and sweaty.

coolhandluck
04-11-2010, 12:27 PM
From today's SD Union Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/11/phish-leaves-its-mark-coachella-fest/

For the first time in the same year, both festivals look likely to sell out in advance, according to Goldenvoice president Paul Tollett, one of the masterminds behind Coachella and Stagecoach.

For Festival 8 in Indio, Phish stipulated that no single-day tickets could be sold, only three-day festival packages. The band also had Goldenvoice implement an in-and-out policy that enabled Festival 8 attendees to come and go as they pleased, be it to the nearby campground or to area hotels. The result was an easygoing synergy that Tollett hopes to emulate next weekend.

This year, for the first time in its history, Coachella has eliminated single-day tickets and is selling only three-day weekend packages. It is also letting a limited number of attendees pitch their tents next to their cars and introducing an in-and-out policy (although it remains to be seen how many Coachella attendees will want to brave the typically heavy traffic to come and go).

Even so, the move to eliminate $99 one-day tickets — which accounted for about one-fifth of Coachella’s sales in recent years — did not pass without notice. Witness the complaints on the Internet posted by disgruntled fans, who did not want to spend $269 (plus service charges) for a three-day pass.

“It was not an easy decision,” said Tollett.

But streamlining ticket options is not the only factor, even if it does ensure a bigger payday for the event. Another is the scarcity of hotel rooms in the surrounding area during the festival weekend, especially since most of those hotels increase their prices and require a minimum three- or four-night stay for Coachella attendees.

“In the past, we’ve had people who would only go to one day of the festival but get hotel rooms for three nights, because they had to, and then spend the other two days vacationing in the valley, which is a great thing to do,” Tollett said. “But we’d rather it not be during that weekend. We’d rather have the hotels be available for the people who come to the (entire) festival.”

NiceDream
04-11-2010, 12:32 PM
also - i read the article. is ANYONE going to coachella bc of jay z? don't get me wrong - i like the lineup and everything. not hating. just that i might not go this year - specially since they liftd the artists restrictions (they get to play their own shows around the dates of coachella).

i dunno. i'm still curious as to wthr it'll sell out. i doubt it but still curious.

A-Ron
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
also - i read the article. is ANYONE going to coachella bc of jay z? don't get me wrong - i like the lineup and everything. not hating. just that i might not go this year - specially since they liftd the artists restrictions (they get to play their own shows around the dates of coachella).

i dunno. i'm still curious as to wthr it'll sell out. i doubt it but still curious.

I've met 2 seperate girls this past Friday going to primarily see Jay-Z, their first Coachella's. One made a good point that it sounded more fun and safer for a white girl to jam out to Jay-Z at Coachella ratehr then the San Jose HP Pavillion. Her words not mine.

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-11-2010, 02:14 PM

I know a couple of people who would absolutely go if they knew JayZ was going to be there....but I'm not telling them:-) shhhhh!