PDA

View Full Version : Question about car camping...

jameswill
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
We've got two groups coming for one car camping spot. One group will be able to get to the campground early, while my group won't be getting there until 7 or 8 that night.

While the first group has the car camping pass and could go ahead and nab the spot, I'm convinced the overnight lot will be full by then, leaving us with no place to park when we arrive.

If the first group sets up the tent, but parks in the overnight lot, would we be able to drive back to the spot and park in our place, or would the logistics of how people are being loaded in prevent us from getting back to them?

If so, does anyone have any advice on what we can do with our car once we show up around 7 or so?

Thanks in advance, first Coachella and I'm pumped!

heyeric
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Once your in, your in.

jameswill
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Kingsblend, that's a pretty good idea. They could even leave their stuff in their car in the overnight and we could pick them up on the way in.

GENIUS.

psychic friend
04-08-2010, 08:41 PM
if the first group arrives in a car they will be sent to car camping to set up a spot and group 2 with no camping will have to companion park and walk. there is no setting up in car camping without a car.

Tandemind
04-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Kingsblend's plan will work.

If group 1 goes into car camping, then you get to set up your camp early and theoretically get a spot much closer to the entrance. Group 2 has to park at Walmart or wherever and has to haul all their shit. If group 1 goes to the overnight lot, then you get a spot in the overnight lot, they hang out for a number of hours, and group 2 picks their shit up on their way to car camping.

Choose.

Stickjohn
04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I think Group 1 can be companion campers - they just can't claim a spot in car camping until the second car gets there. I thought that was what kingsblend meant by this:

They won't be able to set their stuff up until they arrive but they should be able to go into the campground and be super jealous of everyone who is setting up though.

Maybe Group 1 can check in and get searched and just hang out in the tent camping area (without setting up) until Group 2 with car gets there. I think PF's point is there is no saving spots or setting up in car camping without a car - each spot HAS to be filled with a car.

edit Tandemind's got it

jameswill
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
What are the odds that by 7pm any space will be left in the companion lot? I'm guessing not too good. I think the best shot is to have group 1 just hang out and wait for us.

If they have a car camping pass, can they wander around without actually setting up?

Stickjohn
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
That's tricky - only info we have is that the space is LIMITED and it WILL fill up.

And remember you only need a festival ticket to enter the campground, so fact that Group 1 has camping pass doesn't matter. Wander away!

Albiedamned
04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a similar question.

I plan on getting to the campsite Thursday afternoon and using my car for the car camping. I have two friends that will be coming later in a separate car that are NOT planning on using their car to camp with us. Can they park in the overnight parking and come join me? Do I just go out and get them? Is there car gonna be safe in the overnight parking for the whole weekend?

Stickjohn
04-09-2010, 01:44 PM
That is a very similar question. I think the answer is the same. The issue is no one knows if there will be room in the overnight parking when the second car arrives later, so it makes sense to park the first car there. It makes more sense to car pool if you don't have camping spots for both cars.

jameswill
04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes, if only we could. My group is coming from Ventura while the first group will be staying in Palm Springs the night before.

I think we're going to try the first people go to overnight option. Sounds like the best bet. As long as we're not next to the port-a-potties I don't really care.