PDA

View Full Version : Doctor / Patient Confidentiality

daftmonkey64
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
So I'm kinda sketched out after seeing my psychiatrist this morning. This Doctor prescribes me Concerta, which is kind of like Aderal or Ritalin. It helps me immensely with school, but it makes me kinda cracked out to where I can't sleep or eat. Smoking weed has usually helped with this, so a few months ago I went and got a medical marijuana recommendation from a doctor here in sunny California.

So when I saw my psychiatrist this morning, I thought that in the privacy of his office and under the understanding of a doctor-patient confidentiality agreement, I could feel safe disclosing this to him. I just wanted to be honest with my Doctor and visa-versa. I told him that I grow small amounts of it so I know its organic, natural, and not laced with anything. He then asked to make a copy of my recommendation document for his records, which I didn't think anything of at the time. After that he asked if I would take a piss test and a blood test..........this is where I started feeling sketchy. He said it was only to make sure there wasn't any other hardcore drug use going on, and since all I do is weed I agreed.

It wasn't until I left that everything started to set in. I hope its just the paranoia from getting stoned regularly, but it almost seemed like he was building a case against me. The whole time I thought this was something I could talk to my doctor about in confidence....but now I'm getting a very uneasy feeling.

anyone have a take on this?

suprefan
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Read up on HIPPA laws and see if theres anything that will make you feel that he coudl be doing that.

djandrews25
04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
It wouldnt be in his best interests to bust you, and it would also be against the law.

weeklymix
04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
He isn't trying to bust you. Understanding that you use a drug in a somewhat recreational nature requires him as a doctor to make sure you're not on anything else. He's a medical doctor, allowing him to prescribe, so he doesn't want to prescribe anything that could really hurt you.

I've been there, done that. They don't bust you. Hippocratic oath, dog.

Bud Luster
04-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Daft: plus he wants to know if you use anything else in a recreational nature, or if you have a problem with anything else. Helps him to better know what to, and not to, prescribe for you.

Mr. Dylanja
04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Ur fuct.

That's some bomb ass weed!

Mr.Nipples
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
herp derp stop going to dip shit nosey psychiatrist

PotVsKtl
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Why in the fuck would you take a piss test for a psychiatrist? Are they court ordered?

wmgaretjax
04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
confidentiality is generally waived for "considerations of public welfare." i have never heard of a case where this was addressed in the growing/distribution of drugs though... normally it has to do with AIDS or Hep.

drewniverse
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I once admitted to a psychiatrist that I recreationally smoked weed, and her response was either I stop or she can't help me and won't be my psychriatrist. I said cool! I was tired of giving you my money anyhow! and left the building immediately.

BTW.. HIPAA has your back, if she released any records to anyone without a court ordered document summons then she's screwing herself royally. You would own her Carrera, in other words.

FoxeyLady
04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I thought illegal activities weren't covered by doctor/patient confidentiality? I know it's legal to have a medical recommendation for weed, but it's still illegal under federal law.

humanoid
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
either way, you should switch doctors immediately. If you feel you can't trust a psychiatrist, they are not going to be much good to you anyway as you will not be able to be as open and honest as you need to be.

york707
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I would be more worried about admitting that you grow your own weed, not just the smoking it.

fatbastard
04-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Is paranoia listed as a side effect to the drug he prescribed to you?

bmb attack
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
lets see here...you are worried about your psychiatrist getting you busted but have no problem posting on the internet that you grow weed. makes perfect sense to me...

PotVsKtl
04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
You can legally grow weed with a medical marijuana card.

betao
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Really? did not know that.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Weeklymix and Bud Luster gave the correct answers.

brittany
04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
I thought illegal activities weren't covered by doctor/patient confidentiality? I know it's legal to have a medical recommendation for weed, but it's still illegal under federal law.

no, i believe it's only if you told the therapist that you plan on hurting someone. and in that case they could warn the person you wanted to hurt...

PotVsKtl
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Or kill you. Those are their only options.

wmgaretjax
04-07-2010, 11:38 PM
no, i believe it's only if you told the therapist that you plan on hurting someone. and in that case they could warn the person you wanted to hurt...

that is the general application with therapists (they would generally inform the police as well), but the exception does have broader implications than that.

stepup2stepout
04-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Technically, no, you can't. Federal law still prohibits it, and thats also why DEAs still crack down on dispensaries and in some cases patients.

PotVsKtl
04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Technically, no, you can't. Federal law still prohibits it, and thats also why DEAs still crack down on dispensaries and in some cases patients.

Federal law prohibits the whole program, it's pointless to mention.

york707
04-08-2010, 07:07 AM

I did not know this.

http://blog.mattalgren.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg