PDA

View Full Version : sensory deprivation flotation tanks

scoliosisjones
04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
just saw an interview with joe rogan on reality sandwich were he mentioned how pyschedellic his expierence in one was... just wondering if any board memebers have expierenced one??

Stefinitely Maybe
04-07-2010, 04:41 PM
A new study has found that even a short period of sensory deprivation is enough to produce hallucinations even in people who are not normally prone to them.

The 19 volunteers in the study were chosen from over 200 applicants who all completed a Revised Hallucinations Scale questionnaire, which is designed to determine if people are predisposed to hallucinations. The researchers selected nine subjects from applicants who scored in the upper 20th percentile and 10 from the lower 20th.

The researchers, from the University College, London, placed the volunteers one at a time into an anechoic chamber. The chamber had thick outer walls, inner walls of metallic acoustic panels, and a layer of fiberglass sandwiched between them, and completely dampened sound to below the threshold of hearing, and also blocked out all light.

The subject sat in a padded chair in the sensory deprivation room for 15 minutes, during which time many of the subjects reported hallucinations, a depressed mood or paranoia. The volunteers could have used the panic button to be immediately released from the chamber, but none did. After the experiment they completed a Psychotomimetic States Inventory test to determine if they had experienced hallucinations or other experiences resembling psychoses. The test was developed originally to study the experiences of users of recreational drugs.

Of the nine volunteers who had high scores on the first questionnaire, almost all reported experiencing something "very special or important" while inside the chamber. Six saw objects that were not there, five had hallucinations of faces, four reported a heightened sense of smell, and two felt there was an evil presence in the chamber with them.

The 10 volunteers who had lower scores on the questionnaire, indicating they were less prone to hallucinations, still reported experiencing hallucinations and delusions, but to a lesser degree than the other group.

One of the researchers, psychologist Oliver Mason, said the results of the experiment support the idea that hallucinations are produced through what the scientists call faulty source monitoring: the brain misidentifies the source of its own thoughts as arising from outside the body. Mason was not surprised by the rather dramatic results after such a short time, saying the psychosis-inducing effect of sensory deprivation is analogous to the effect of drugs such as cannabis and ketamine, especially in those prone to psychoses. The findings may be important because they suggest that mental illness and normality occur on a continuum.

Future research planned includes studying the effects of sensory deprivation on recreational drug users and people with schizophrenia.

I would like to see the results of that research.

juloxx
04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I did this for the first time about a week ago. Nothing crazy really happened, though I lost total track of time. I thought I was in there for about 25 minutes tops. Ended up being an hour and 15 minutes. Twas interesting, but nothing special.

Wasn't on any drugs, though being on something could prove to be quite the experience.

FoxeyLady
04-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I really want to try this. I heard about it from Joe Rogan as well. There's one in Venice beach you can go to.

djandrews25
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Can someone describe what it is a little better? Or is it just a padded room with no light or sound.

canexplain
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I did it in 80-81. Both on and off drugs.

canexplain
04-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Can someone describe what it is a little better? Or is it just a padded room with no light or sound.

An isolation tank is a lightless, soundproof tank in which subjects float in salt water at skin temperature. They were first used by John C. Lilly[1] in 1954 in order to test the effects of sensory deprivation. Such tanks[2] are now also used for meditation and relaxation and in alternative medicine. Isolation tanks were originally called sensory deprivation tanks.

scoliosisjones
04-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I found one in burbank 50 dollars a session first tine gets a second float for free.. I also heard that for your first time it's a uncomfortable experience but the more frequent you float the easier it is to completely get into the session once again most of my information is based on the interview from joe rogan

FoxeyLady
04-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Basically, the point is to let you're mind wander without any external stimuli. Because when you're in the water it is the same temperature as your skin so you basically can't feel ANYTHING. I've never done it, but this is what I've heard. I also hear that the longer you stay in it, the more likely you are to have a psychedelic experience, or something similar. Supposedly it is very therapeutic.

canexplain
04-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Basically, the point is to let you're mind wander without any external stimuli. Because when you're in the water it is the same temperature as your skin so you basically can't feel ANYTHING. I've never done it, but this is what I've heard. I also hear that the longer you stay in it, the more likely you are to have a psychedelic experience, or something similar. Supposedly it is very therapeutic.

Just do acid while you are in the tank and yes you will have a psychedelic experience :) Something you said though; the opposite is true also. They say if you watch sport vids that have repetitive motion sequences, watch that in the tank and it is somewhat ingrained in your little brain. I did skiing and tennis. Before I did that I really really sucked at tennis. After that I only sucked :) Normal time for a tank at a "store" is an hour, but to fully appreciate it, I think you have to float for about 3 hours.

Supposedly it is very therapeutic

I believe the Dallas Cowboys use it. It might be another team, I didn't search.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Do you float on your back?

canexplain
04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Do you float on your back?

There are upright and prone but I think the most popular are prone. I have only floated on my back.

canexplain
04-07-2010, 06:47 PM
You develop little games if you float a lot. I measured and it was 8 inches from the top of my head to the tank and the same feet to tank. So it was a total of 16 inches of space. I would place my head against the tank, smile really big, and that motion caused me to float towards the other end. It took 11 minutes from start to finish.

And people here think I am weird :)

juloxx
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Forgot to mention one sensation/feeling that I was experiencing in the tank. I felt like I was flowing down a river, although obviously I was staying put. The flow of the river sometimes felt like it was changing, for example, sometimes I felt like I was going left, right, sometimes even up or down (which I can attribute to my breathing).

Just do acid while you are in the tank and yes you will have a psychedelic experience :) Something you said though; the opposite is true also.

Have you done this? If so, how was it?

I really want to try this. I heard about it from Joe Rogan as well. There's one in Venice beach you can go to.

Thats where I went

canexplain
04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Trippin while floating was odd. If you only did an hour, it really seemed like 10 minutes. I know I was awake, but I got in the tank and all of the sudden the bell would go off that the hour was up. When I did it for a few hours, I really thought I went to another place. To many sigs to describe that :)

scoliosisjones
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
imma do these floats sober.. I heard one hour of floating is equal to like 4 hours of rem sleep

JustSteve
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
An isolation tank is a lightless, soundproof tank in which subjects float in salt water at skin temperature. They were first used by John C. Lilly[1] in 1954 in order to test the effects of sensory deprivation. Such tanks[2] are now also used for meditation and relaxation and in alternative medicine. Isolation tanks were originally called sensory deprivation tanks.

that's my dad's uncle (so my great uncle?). represent! he also kept dolphins in his backyard pool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly

holy shit, he predicted "the matrix":

Solid State Intelligence

Solid State Intelligence or SSI is a malevolent entity described by John C. Lilly (see The Scientist). According to Lilly, the network of computation-capable solid state systems (electronics) engineered by humans will eventually develop (or has already developed) into an autonomous life-form. Since the optimal survival conditions for this life-form (low-temperature vacuum) are drastically different from those needed by humans (room temperature aerial atmosphere and adequate water supply), Lilly predicted (or "prophesied", based on his ketamine-induced visions) a dramatic conflict between the two forms of intelligence.

and his obituary, now i know where my smarts come from:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041009204106/http://mindprod.com/obitlilly.html

cool to read this: "His work with dolphins and whales created a global awareness that lead to the enactment of the Marine Mammal Protection Act in 1972."

...and this: "After ten years of tank research, and while still in the employ of NIMH, he was given the responsibility to experiment with LSD in the (sensory deprivation)tank."

fuck yeah, uncle.

canexplain
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow that's cool JustSteve. Sounds like you come from good stock.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
i have a friend who did the one in venice, too. he got all of my friends and i so amped up on it that we are planning a group trip out to experience it. sounds awesome.

scoliosisjones
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
i have a friend who did the one in venice, too. he got all of my friends and i so amped up on it that we are planning a group trip out to experience it. sounds awesome.

that is awesome let us know how it turns out.. by any chance do you know the rates per hour for the venice one?

scoliosisjones
04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow that's cool JustSteve. Sounds like you come from good stock.

sorry about creating a new thread on this subject i posted this from my phone and didnt think to check if this had been covered before

whynotsmile99
04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
been meaning to try the one in burbank for months. Might try and get a session in next week to clear my head before Coachella. Though now that taxes are brutal on me this year, perhaps I should reconsider.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 10:56 PM
that is awesome let us know how it turns out.. by any chance do you know the rates per hour for the venice one?

he went with some friends, and i think it was either 3 or 4 of them each in a tank for an hour for $100 flat for all of them together. super cheap.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
according to their website (http://www.floatlab.com/services.html) it's $40 for 90 mins. according to yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/flotation-location-venice#query:Floatation%20Tank) it's $50 for 60 mins. so somewhere around there. i think my friend said he talked the guy into a deal.

scoliosisjones
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
according to yelp ("]their website[/URL] it's $40 for 90 mins. according to [URL=") it's $50 for 60 mins. so somewhere around there. i think my friend said he talked the guy into a deal.
imma ask the dude in burbank if I an get a group rate!

juloxx
04-08-2010, 07:30 AM
that's my dad's uncle (so my great uncle?). represent! he also kept dolphins in his backyard pool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly

holy shit, he predicted "the matrix":

Thats fuckin rad dude. You need to carry the torch and continue with his research.

There is only 2 tanks in that place, so only two of your friends can doo it at once. The guy that runs it is super funny. You can tell he has done his fair share of frying

JustSteve
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Thats fuckin rad dude. You need to carry the torch and continue with his research.

maybe some coachella lsd experiments? it is in the name of science after all.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
learn everything you need to know from this wonderful movie

http://finletargo.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/altered-states.jpg

canexplain
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
learn everything you need to know from this wonderful movie

http://finletargo.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/altered-states.jpg

I think if you really want to understand floating and not treat it like a goof, before you go to see the movie, read the book it was based on ...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/alteredstates.jpg

donkey sex
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
inventing something way better that I can't share until it is patented (hint: it involves being anywhere in the world you want to be at any given time)

SDsoldier7
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I wish they had one of these in the campgrounds. Way better than rollerskating.

An aquaintance of mine did this, he said he saw monsters.

juloxx
04-08-2010, 08:36 PM
^^^ Hell no. Within the first 3 hours that tank would be filled with piss and other bodily fluids.

scoliosisjones
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I think if you really want to understand floating and not treat it like a goof, before you go to see the movie, read the book it was based on ...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/alteredstates.jpg

good read? im currently reading the Harvard psychedelic club

scoliosisjones
04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I wish they had one of these in the campgrounds. Way better than rollerskating.

An aquaintance of mine did this, he said he saw monsters.

imagine like a pool size tank were you could float as a group not necessarily talking to each other but partaking in the same experience together

dantoro
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
^^^ Hell no. Within the first 3 hours that tank would be filled with piss and other bodily fluids.

wow thanks for keeping the realism

can't you do this on a water bed with headphones?

scoliosisjones
04-08-2010, 09:37 PM

you wouldnt be submerged in water the whole thing behind this is that you get the perception that you have been detached from your body

canexplain
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM

The water in the tank is a perfect temp (skin?) so that you do not feel the water you are in. It is as close to weightlessness we normal people can get I think. On a water bed you can feel that you are laying on something and touching it. I thought this was sort of funny. This is for all the kids that think they were the first E and K bunch.

...As for the scientist's regression into an ape-like being, the late Dr. Craig Enright, who started me on K (ketamine) while taking a trip with me here by the isolation tank, suddenly "became" a chimp, jumping up and down and hollering for twenty-five minutes. Watching him, I was frightened. I asked him later, "Where the hell were you?" He said, "I became a pre-hominid, and I was in a tree. A leopard was trying to get me. So I was trying to scare him away."

higgybaby23
04-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Center of the Cyclone is a fun read. It's fairly short in length as well. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Lilly, sensory deprivation or psychedelics.
http://homepage.mac.com/briangroppe/BGcurrent/images/PortfolioSamples/Book&MagCovers/LillyCyclone_front_800px.jpg

And...
KmFdIUQ16f4

JustSteve
04-09-2010, 07:56 AM
I will be looking into the books for sure, wish I could have actually met/known him while he was still around, sounds like an amazing person...i'm gonna kick my dad's ass next time I see him for not keeping the family ties strong! Also cool to see that he did some research into respiratory issues since I am living with a lung disease...

Errant
04-09-2010, 08:11 AM
My uncle built something similar in his apartment back in the 70's. The room was blacked out and quiet, filled with a soft-sided pool of body temp salt water. A meditation tank is what he called it. It was super cool floating there in absolute darkness and silence. No hallucinations that I recall, tho, but I was only 5 or 6 at the time. I would love to do something similar in my own home, but for now just settle for sleeping in the bathtub :)

tbone13
02-17-2011, 07:20 PM
if your not enjoying whats going on can u just snap out of it and get out?

SDsoldier7
02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
nope. some people are mentally stuck forever

tbone13
02-17-2011, 07:32 PM
i was just being genuinely curious because i dont like being in a state of no control but thanks for being a douche

Adult Books
02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I tried a deprivation tank about a year ago and just couldn't fully zone out. Every time I reached a state of total relaxation, I would float into one of the sides of the tank, which would snap me out of it. Not to mention the burning sensation you feel in all of your orifices due to the extreme salinization of the water. My nethers just weren't the same for a few hours.

SDsoldier7
02-17-2011, 07:57 PM
i was just being genuinely curious because i dont like being in a state of no control but thanks for being a douche

believe what you want

Dogvolta
02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I tried a deprivation tank about a year ago and just couldn't fully zone out. Every time I reached a state of total relaxation, I would float into one of the sides of the tank, which would snap me out of it. Not to mention the burning sensation you feel in all of your orifices due to the extreme salinization of the water. My nethers just weren't the same for a few hours.

Sounds like both of those problems would be a common thing...anyone experience those?

chairmenmeow47
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
my man really wants to try this, but it's like $80 out here. waiting for a special.

canexplain
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Sounds like both of those problems would be a common thing...anyone experience those?

Odd someone would say that. Maybe it was the place he went. If the tank is set up right, salts, temp, etc. when you get out you are not wrinkly sp like you have been in a bath for a while. Yes, you will go from side to side but it usually took me about 10 minutes to go maybe 6 inches, so it does or did also happen to me. cr****

insbordnat
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
my man really wants to try this, but it's like $80 out here. waiting for a special.

Ivy, I just purchased a gift certificate for my lady for the one up on Thompson Peak. I'll let y'all know how she liked it. $80 is a little spendy though.

Mr. Dylanja
02-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Where are they at, Ivysaur?

chairmenmeow47
02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
north valley i believe. true rest float spa or something. and yeah, i'd like to know how it is. i am waiting for a sale.

303dubbin
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I did this for the first time about a week ago. Nothing crazy really happened, though I lost total track of time. I thought I was in there for about 25 minutes tops. Ended up being an hour and 15 minutes. Twas interesting, but nothing special.

Wasn't on any drugs, though being on something could prove to be quite the experience.

dude did you do this in boulder?

I.F.A.
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
im currently reading the Harvard psychedelic club

If you like it, I would suggest reading Wade Davis and Richard Evans Schultes.