PDA

View Full Version : where you get your music

Benis23
02-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm just curious where everyone gets the majority of their music...

(this may not work as I have never posted a poll before)

bmack86
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
I do a mix of the three.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 06:02 AM
I buy the physical album or download for free. Often both (downloading first to check it out and then buying).

mountmccabe
02-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeah this looks like a poll where allowing multiple choices would be pertinent.

I don't think I've ever actually paid for any downloads but I have received giftcards which gave me money towards such downloads. And I lost the data files when I lost my computer; I just have the burned CD. I'll pretty much never do that again.

Tylerdurden31
02-27-2007, 07:18 AM
I usually buy CDs of bands that need the money.
Download from bands that don't.

I'll download stuff and I'll usually eventually pick up the CD. There's stuff I've downloaded and a year later I'll buy the CD.

I'll also download stuff I buy on vinyl, because I dont have the capacity or patience to record vinyl to my computer.

hangthedj112
02-27-2007, 08:41 AM
insound.com, they have the best selection in my opinion, so I order off there when I can afford it. Then I buy a lot of vinyl too, and i'm lucky to have a few decent record shops around here.

bmack86
02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I download lots of music. Much of the stuff I download is out of print, and as such I won't be able to buy it. I also subscribe to Emusic, so I pay for my downloads that way. In addition I take at least monthly trips to Amoeba to pick up new or interesting CDs and DVDs. Last night I bought Boredoms-Super Roots 6 and Super Roots 7 and Menomena-Friend and Foe (that album has great album art)

gaypalmsprings
02-27-2007, 09:41 AM
This thread is sponsored by the music industry & their detectives & lawyers.

SometimesNJ
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
all of the above. although i never buy downloads..thats silly. go to the record store and buy something tangible..why pay for an mp3?!

i usually do the same as durden. and if i happen to download from a lesser known artist, i always make an effort to see their live show.

Surrealkiller
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I always DL free music. Soulseek FTW baby.

However, if I like a really obscure artist (like the Duhks) I will buy thier album and try to make it out to their shows.

SometimesNJ
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I always DL free music. Soulseek FTW baby.

However, if I like a really obscure artist (like the Duhks) I will buy thier album and try to make it out to their shows.

i would suggest oink. soulseek is old hat.

mozabilly54
02-27-2007, 11:30 AM
bittorrent is the only way to go.

farmer dan
02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
bear share. you'll get a shitload of viruses, but you can listen to lots of badass music while debugging your computer

Surrealkiller
02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
i would suggest oink. soulseek is old hat.

If it's 100% completely free I'll try anything.

I'm not a fan of the way torrent works though, I'm picky with the way things are laid out and how things are executed.

bballarl
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I dl tons of stuff with Soulseek (and also Oink, though I have problems uploading so I try to avoid it) in order to sample bands, get rare/out of print releases, get my vinyl on my comp, etc. I delete the stuff from my library once I purchase it or if I dislike it (except for in some cases, where I leave it for mix-making purposes).

I buy CDs (or vinyl in a lot of cases since its like $.99...I own all the Police records except for Synchronicity on vinyl for that reason) whenever I can afford to.

I like music a lot.

woogie846
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I usually buy the actual CD. Usually meaning 88% of the time.

MarkO
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I usally buy 2nd hand cds. I can't afford to buy all my stuff new. I only d/l shows from bands that are ok with it (MMJ, Wilco, etc)

C DUB YA
02-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I hear there is this new technology called a compact disc - apparently it is going to change the way we listen to music.

seriously - just buy the damn cd

PrettyRagdoll
02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
This thread is sponsored by the music industry & their detectives & lawyers.

lol

jackstraw94086
02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Bragging about music piracy and what methods you use to do it is beyond idiotic.

Benis23
02-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Bragging about music piracy and what methods you use to do it is beyond idiotic.

why?

bmack86
02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
It does seem like tempting fate. Like shooting a guy and then getting his head put on a plaque for all to see.

pretentious
02-28-2007, 01:13 AM
oink baby, oink.

fober
02-28-2007, 07:17 AM
ahahahahahahahah limewire.

That's hilarious.

I Am Tom Waits
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Where's the "from you" option?

jackstraw94086
02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
why?

It's not really that big a deal. just kinda dumb.

if you keep mentioning filesharing services on this board it will make it pop up more often on searches. It attracts attention from both idiots looking to steal music and the people looking to stop them. Add to that the fact that Goldenvoice does not want to have their board become a piracy FAQ. Folks around here present a very cavalier attitude towards theft, but it's still a crime no matter how you slice it.

It's a very simple principle. if you commit a crime, you'd be wise to keep you mouth shut about it.

There are places to pirate music. Don't do it here.

wmgaretjax
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
oink (bittorrent).

i will buy really good albums on indie labels at the band's show.

Surrealkiller
02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
It's not really that big a deal. just kinda dumb.

if you keep mentioning filesharing services on this board it will make it pop up more often on searches. It attracts attention from both idiots looking to steal music and the people looking to stop them. Add to that the fact that Goldenvoice does not want to have their board become a piracy FAQ. Folks around here present a very cavalier attitude towards theft, but it's still a crime no matter how you slice it.

It's a very simple principle. if you commit a crime, you'd be wise to keep you mouth shut about it.

There are places to pirate music. Don't do it here.

Yea, maybe it is kinda dumb. But just because people are looking for free music does NOT make them idiots.

There are other places were it would MORE stupid to bust this info out on, for instance...a popular news paper message board or something. There is an extremely small chance that someone is going to get busted just for saying something in a Coachella forum. Most of my family are in the legal system, judges, laywers, detectives. You name it. So believe me...I've inquired about it.

jackstraw94086
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Yea, maybe it is kinda dumb. But just because people are looking for free music does NOT make them idiots.

There are other places were it would MORE stupid to bust this info out on, for instance...a popular news paper message board or something. There is an extremely small chance that someone is going to get busted just for saying something in a Coachella forum. Most of my family are in the legal system, judges, laywers, detectives. You name it. So believe me...I've inquired about it.

It doesn't matter how much you know about the subject or what your family does for a living. Doesn't change the fact that it's not wise to chat about piracy on an indie music message board. "less danger" and "extremely small chance" doesn't = "no danger" and "no chance". that's not even really the point anyway.

And it doesn't matter what the danger is, talking about music piracy on a public forum is still stupid if you guys want to continue stealing unabated.
Just keep waving your flags. See where that gets you. Even if you don't personally get busted you're still offering information about habits to those looking to stop you. Of course they'll find out anyway, but make them work for it.

Surrealkiller
02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree with your statement in general.

But I seriously wouldn't be worried about this one thread. I have never said anything about it before anywhere public until I saw this.

I would for sure be an idiot though...if I went around talking about it everywhere. I dunno, I'm not worried about it.

Bosco
03-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I usually buy CDs of bands that need the money.
Download from bands that don't.

I'll download stuff and I'll usually eventually pick up the CD. There's stuff I've downloaded and a year later I'll buy the CD.

I'll also download stuff I buy on vinyl, because I dont have the capacity or patience to record vinyl to my computer.

what he said:thu

plus, a stack of cd's and vinyl is a beautiful sight!

bumper31
03-02-2007, 11:53 PM
mixture...not too many paid for downloads.

The majority are ripped Cds and aggregrated from friends and family

SojuGorae
03-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Purchase records.

Downloading is for people that needs to get punched in the face.