PDA

View Full Version : Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs; why I've given up

MjrBuzz
04-05-2010, 11:42 PM
In my day to life I am fairly comfortable and happy. I have a steady job, am healthy, and have support from family and friends. My fundamental needs are met and I enjoy my independent life at level 3 (love/belonging) and aim often to move to level 4 (esteem).

When I first heard about Coachella (would have been a 1st timer) last week, I was beyond ecstatic as the lineup read like my ipod play-list and had no problems going at it alone. General admission tickets are still available, but just like everyone else, finding a solid camping solution has become a real problem. I prided myself in keeping dignity, not begging, and at worst bartering transportation for a place to lay down. I done my diligence not looking for the easy solution and spent time making phone calls to off-site camping sites in the area. 10 days left till Coachella and I have not found a resolution. I can tell you every official campsite in a twenty mile radius is booked up.

In Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, this challenge has plunged me from my comfortable level 3 back down to level 1. I am now stuck worrying about fulfilling my Physiological needs (shelter and a place for my car) and am not used to it. I have spent so much time on this that I feel so defeated. I am not a complainer by any means but this process has ruined Coachella for me. I officially give up. To those left searching and also struggling to fill their Physiological needs, I wish you best of luck! Happy Coachella everyone!

Buzz

http://www.waronconsumerism.com/images/-Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs.jpg

Astrid
04-05-2010, 11:52 PM
i find it hard to drunk assess whether this post will result in you getting massively flamed or not. but........since youre already at level 1 i guess it wont bring you down to far?

im not to sure what the housing situation is like right now, i know its rough though. have you checked other methods besides camping? motels or hotels in the sorrounding area? since you have a car you could feasibly (not desirably) stay within an hourish radius. check craigslist? there are always people around who simply cant go last minute and arent looking to screw you out of hundreds of dollars. basically, what im trying to say is if you are Seriously down to go keep looking, things constantly pop up until the very last second, if not later. i know the situation right now looks bleak, but i assure you it IS beyond worth it.

best of luck to you dude. sorry i cant help beyong well wishes.

yoshi
04-05-2010, 11:57 PM
offer some food or booze or whatever to a random camper each night im sure theyd have a cozy lil spot for you

Necie
04-06-2010, 12:22 AM
:-( Hate to see a fellow Las Vegasean potentially miss Coachella! We don't have any extra space that a tent could fit, but if you really wanted to, you could throw down a sleeping bag next to our car, or something like that. Not the most comfy, but maybe that'll getcha something until you can get there and find a better spot. We'd also have an extra spot in the car unless you really wanted to bring your own. PM if you wanna flesh this idea out at all-though I wish you luck regardless of what you end up doing! :-)

Courtney
04-06-2010, 12:35 AM
I have always had the feeling that Maslow was one messed up dude for putting sex before security of body, health, etc.

MjrBuzz
04-06-2010, 01:32 AM
:-( Hate to see a fellow Las Vegasean potentially miss Coachella! We don't have any extra space that a tent could fit, but if you really wanted to, you could throw down a sleeping bag next to our car, or something like that. Not the most comfy, but maybe that'll getcha something until you can get there and find a better spot. We'd also have an extra spot in the car unless you really wanted to bring your own. PM if you wanna flesh this idea out at all-though I wish you luck regardless of what you end up doing! :-)

PM'ed.

@Astrid: Closest available hotels are an hour drive away and rockin a $99/night price tag. I was expecting to get flamed, I had just reached my whit's end today trying to figure this out.

Paddy O'Furniture
04-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Some friendly advice, just go. Get yourself there and the generosity of people will make itself known. Coachella is like that. Don't give up, you can never give up.

Ravingmad
04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
hahahah "homeostasis"

obzen
04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
http://www.waronconsumerism.com/images/-Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs.jpg

This is great. Good luck, Maslow.

wstsidela
04-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Quitter!!

TomAz
04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/06/adem/pictures/absolut/images/bullshit.jpg

socalguy100
04-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Why don't you just look at staying a little further away from the festival? You can get a hotel in San Bernardino or Riverside (about an hours drive from Indio) for $50 or so a night. Find a ride or rent a cheap car if you have to.

Jankypirate
04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Dude, youre looking at it all wrong!

Think of it as a challenge. I know it takes you out of your comfort zone but thats when life happens, outside your comfort zone.

As others have said, show up with beer to trade and worst case scenario some cash to buy part of someone's spot. Remember not everyone who will be camping reads these boards, and everyone will be feeling very friendly when we all get there.

And if not, sleep in your vehicle at the walmart parking lot.

You see, this will give you a sense of accomplishment and self esteem. You overcame the challenges put before you too be where you wanted to be. You will have exercised your creativity, spontaneity, problem solving, lack of prejudice, and acceptance of the facts!

So by simply changing your point of view and just going, trusting that you will figure something out, this can bring you to maslow's level 5 instead of bringing you down.

Coachella is all about self-actualization. Dont sweat the small stuff.