PDA

View Full Version : Some of you mentioned freezing water/juice ...

MarkO
02-26-2007, 03:25 PM
... before you go to cut down on the ice needed to keep things cold. How do the bottles not burst ? Most bottles are pretty full from the factory and i don't see how there is the room for expansion that freezing drinks will bring.

Enlighten me ......... thanks.

DeltaSigChi4
02-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Plenty of room for allowed expansion.

What drinks have you been buying?

E

blakely
02-26-2007, 03:47 PM
the expansion on things like water and juice is negligible, the only things that im aware of that burst are liquids that are carbonated and therefor more unstable than juice and water...

MarkO
02-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Plenty of room for allowed expansion.

What drinks have you been buying?

E

I'll probably get a case of water and a case of gatorade.

GTI_GRL
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I have posted many replys about freezing water/tea/etc.........

Last year I froze a case on water, green tea, and gatorade. I left my house around 11am on Friday and when returned Monday evening (8pm-ish), I still had 1/2 frozen water/tea/gatorade. I bought one bag of ice on Sat morning, even though I didn't need it. We just wanted drinks on the rocks... wink wink.

Put the drinks in at least 2 days before so they are completely frozen. I had an extra freezer (open on top kind), and it took about a day and a half. If you are using the freezer in the regular frig, I would allow more time.

As far as at the venue, when you take a drink out it melts enough to drink in 5-10 min in the sun (if even that). Make sure you drink at least a full bottle of water or gatorade before coming to the venue. In addition, make sure you drink a few bottle of water or gatorade when you return at night. When I was helping out in Mexico, I was told that if you don't pee by 11am you are dehydrated. Not sure if thats true or not, but maybe a good thing to follow.

I also brought energy drinks and soda. Keep them in your frig at home so they are very cold. I packed my cooler the following way. I rotated between frozen drinks and nonfrozen for the top row, and on the second row I started with the opposite one and did the same. That way the nonfrozen drinks are surrounded by frozen drinks. I sat the other food items on top, and any extra frozen drinks I layed on top vertically.

hope this helps

btw dont freeze anything carbonated

DeltaSigChi4
02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Consumable Liquid freezes at around 0 C. There is no need to have it in the "freezer" for more than one [1] day at that temp. It's just overkill.

You can't FREEZE something anymore than it gets frozen. The same amount of latent heat will "melt" something frozen for a day, or for fifty days.

E

GTI_GRL
02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Consumable Liquid freezes at around 0 C. There is no need to have it in the "freezer" for more than one [1] day at that temp. It's just overkill.

You can't FREEZE something anymore than it gets frozen. The same amount of latent heat will "melt" something frozen for a day, or for fifty days.

E

When you put 50+ room temp or warmer bottles in the freezer and they are packed in there, it will take more than a day. If you have an empty freezer when you put all the bottles in, there is nothing already in the freezer to hold the low temp. Therefore, it takes longer than a day to freeze. If you put it in the freezer attached to your frig, I am sure it gets opened for other items and it takes longer to freeze.

I have done this many time for camping, traveling, etc... It takes more than one day. It needs to be in the freezer for at least a day and a half to be completely frozen. But if you are only doing a few bottles, around 10 then it will be much less. However, the person posted a case of water and a case of gatorade. That would be around 48 bottles, it should take about a day and a half.

As far as melting at the same rate whether frozen for a 1 or 50, no shit. That was not something I was saying, and its pretty much common sense.

DeltaSigChi4
02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Excuse me, but you seriously need to get your food refrigeration system looked at by an HVAC technician. Seriously.

E

tiffdud41
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Excuse me, but you seriously need to get your food refrigeration system looked at by an HVAC technician. Seriously.

E

you're such a silly ass, D! :)

ToddThaGod
02-26-2007, 08:11 PM
delta is funny

jimmycrackcorn
02-26-2007, 08:11 PM
... before you go to cut down on the ice needed to keep things cold. How do the bottles not burst ? Most bottles are pretty full from the factory and i don't see how there is the room for expansion that freezing drinks will bring.

Enlighten me ......... thanks.

the solution is simple: you open each bottle pour out a tiny amount, put bottles into freezer with the lids a LIL loose... i do it all the time (i live in the desert)... REMEMBER to tighten the lids again before you pack the frozen bottles because they will leak all over your stuff if you don't... -cheers-

GTI_GRL
02-26-2007, 10:48 PM

E

Its less than a year old, I dount it son. Here is a science project for you. Wait until its hot out in a few months (mid 90s will be good), go to cosco, buy 3 24 packs (water/tea/gatorade), and drive home (30-90 min) with them in your car. Instead of counting driving time, maybe make another stop somewhere for 3-90min. When you get home put them in the freezer w/o setting it to the coldest setting, and tell me how long it takes. Not just for the out most liquid to freeze, but all the way to the inside. I doubt its one day with 50+ warm bottles.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Last year I froze a case on water, green tea, and gatorade.

Frozen green tea is very good. Frozen green tea / mint tea blend is even better. Yum.

JClemy
02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Would it not make sense to just put them in for a couple days just to be safe?

GTI_GRL
02-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Thank you, there is an un-educated person that thinks other wise

GTI_GRL
02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Frozen green tea is very good. Frozen green tea / mint tea blend is even better. Yum.

Did you brew your own tea or buy it?

Courtney
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Brew your own of course. That way you can control the strength. And add sweetener as you wish (sometimes I like a bit of honey).

DeltaSigChi4
02-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Some would say that it would make sense to fill a body up with bullets, rather than shooting enough to incapacitate, therefore staying within Geneva Conventions, just to be safe ...

but then there is no need.

And that's always been my point; there is no need.

And there is no need.

E

DeltaSigChi4
02-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Thank you, there is an un-educated person that thinks other wise

There is no hyphen in uneducated.

The irony.

E

JClemy
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Some would say that it would make sense to fill a body up with bullets, rather than shooting enough to incapacitate, therefore staying within Geneva Conventions, just to be safe ...

And there is no need.

E

There is no need but this isn't about killing someone it's about being prepared to have liquid for camping. I'm pretty sure whether you keep it in the freezer for one day or two it would be better to be on the cautious side. Unless you need the space in your freezer. If then by all means do whatever calculations you need to decide the exact amount. I know I'll be putting my water in the freezer early.

cuchulainn
03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
for christ sake guys, use the fcuking search function, there is already a "purchase or brew green tea/freeze for 1 or 50 days/ is GTI GRL freezer fucked/ riddle someone with bullets fuck the geneva conventions" thread, im sick of reading the same shit over and over again.

JClemy
03-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Damn man! I'm so tired of reading over and over again to "use the search function". That's been said so many times before. Man maybe you should use the search function and stop repeating it.

tiffdud41
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
this is, hands down, the most entertainingly aggrivating thread I've read here to date! It's sooooo funny how people get their panties in a wad over something as ridiculous as the time it takes to freeze a case of water! Who really cares? Why do you care what others think? So what if they have half frozen water? So what if your freezer doesn't work? God! I swear. Ya'll need to take a major chill pill, and just mellow. How much is a bag of ice anyway? like a buck fifty? hahahaha! Why am I even taking the time to write all this? It's hilarious.

tiffdud41
03-02-2007, 09:15 AM

And there is no need.

E

And that! that just takes the cake! you're wonderful at aggrivating the shit out of everybody! I just don't understand why they let you get the best of 'em all the time! hahaha!

JClemy
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
This is a fun board. Why are you taking all the piss and vinegar out of it? Good to know ice is cheap though. Thanks for that.

theguru
03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
i believe that both piss and vinegartake much longer to freeze than water/green tea (with or without honey), and as such they have been taken out-- to make more room in the freezer for bullet riddled corpses

trowa888
03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
^_^ this cracks me up

JClemy
03-05-2007, 09:17 AM
i believe that both piss and vinegartake much longer to freeze than water/green tea (with or without honey), and as such they have been taken out-- to make more room in the freezer for bullet riddled corpses

AWESOME! I think with all the fluids in the human body it would take a while to freeze. Good planning guru!