PDA

View Full Version : My most impressive "I met a celebrity today" thread yet

Stefinitely Maybe
02-26-2007, 12:07 PM
OMG. Most amazing day ever.

We went on BBC Radio today to do an interview (see our myspace (http://www.myspace.com/sonicflyer) for details) and afterwards we decided to go over to Noel Gallagher's house to see if he was home. So we got there and rang the doorbell and then a voice came over the intercom saying "Hello?" and it was Noel! So I said hi and explained that we were a band and fans and wanted to give him a CD etc. and he said "Ok hold on" and then the door opened and there he was!!!!

And he stood and talked to us for about five minutes, and we explained that there are two Russians in the band, and we gave him a CD, and then we said we'd like to support him in Moscow and he said "That's cool with me but you'll have to speak to my managers, let me give you their phone number" and he did!!!! It was amazing!!!!

As he closed the front door he said "Cool, well I'll see you in Moscow then..." (the show is on March 23rd).

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!!!

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Holy shit, Steff! Congrats! And I for one really enjoy these little updates. Keep em coming.

nothingman00
02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Congrats Stef. You deserve a big group-hug from the Gallaghers for your continued patronage.

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Aw man. Someone gave this a one star rating. Was not I.

J~$$$
02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
He should of punched you in the face.

Tylerdurden31
02-26-2007, 12:18 PM
the gallaghers actually talk to people?

that's awesome Stef...lucky bastard

TomAz
02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b2/180px-Cbarris.jpg

paulb
02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
wow? you talked to Noel? thats fuckin awesome...i really was expecting him to just say fuck off through the intercom or somethin...is his address like public knowledge?

the best celebrity ive met was prob Travis Barker at Disneyland coming out of the bathroom on crutches...that was really awesome...oh wait what am i talking about....

BEASTIE BOYS!!!!!!!!!, Met them all after their nyc show in 2006 and talked to Yauch about this bboys jacket i have, and then met them in Vegas again 2 weeks later and got the jacket signed...yes! that is the best celebs...why did i bring up Travis? oh lord.

tessalasset
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
deja vu

randy ricochet
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
OMG. Most amazing day ever.

We went on BBC Radio today to do an interview (see our myspace (http://www.myspace.com/sonicflyer) for details) and afterwards we decided to go over to Noel Gallagher's house to see if he was home. So we got there and rang the doorbell and then a voice came over the intercom saying "Hello?" and it was Noel! So I said hi and explained that we were a band and fans and wanted to give him a CD etc. and he said "Ok hold on" and then the door opened and there he was!!!!

And he stood and talked to us for about five minutes, and we explained that there are two Russians in the band, and we gave him a CD, and then we said we'd like to support him in Moscow and he said "That's cool with me but you'll have to speak to my managers, let me give you their phone number" and he did!!!! It was amazing!!!!

As he closed the front door he said "Cool, well I'll see you in Moscow then..." (the show is on March 23rd).

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!!!

So what did his managers say? Is he doing Moscow on his own cause I'm seeing him with The Coral the week after

DeltaSigChi4
02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Who ranked this thread a one-star???

E

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I would have to say Chris Martin and Trent Reznor were the nicest celeb musicians I've met.

Chris took flowers I gave him before a Coldplay show and put them on his piano for the Coldplay show. The flowers were on the piano the entire show.

Trent let me interview him when I was a volunteer DJ at my college radio station. Awesome. (my interview was absolutely horrible).

psychic friend
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
deja vu

Ya, didnt we get this almost word for word before?

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the story is different. Stef stalks Oasis around quite a bit, and we get different Oasis stories with each stalking occurrence.

TomAz
02-26-2007, 12:45 PM
i thought before, no one was home.

bballarl
02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
This makes me angry.

DeltaSigChi4
02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
My favourite is Me & Stars.

E

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
i thought before, no one was home.
Me too. Also, didn't Steff meet someone from Oasis in a bar once? That's when he told him/them about his band the first time.

randy ricochet
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes he lives down the road from me and yes he met one of the band.

downingthief
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Stef, fucking awesome! Keep us posted on any developments.

Met many muscians over the years, but the BEST guy, personality wise, was Dave Wakeling. Great attitude. My band had opened up for him, and after the show, he sat and spoke with me for about a half hour. He asked me how they sounded, and actually asked me about some equipment advice. I joked with him that it should be the other way around, and he said basically that no one is ever too good to learn something new! Class act!

Stefinitely Maybe
02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes, this was my first time ever meeting Noel. Last time we went to his house he wasn't home.

I met Gem Archer (guitarist) a few weeks ago in a bar and told him about the band.

Noel's address is not public knowledge, no.

Randy - here is the info on the Moscow gig:NME article. (http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/26677)

We called the venue and they said there's no support planned yet, which is why we went to Noel's house today, to put ourselves forward for it.

To be honest I was as surprised as anyone when he actually opened the door and then said he liked the idea. I will remember that moment to the day I die.

bballarl
02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Stef, want to have a band rivalry once I release a demo EP? We can be Oasis vs. Blur, only be friendly behind the scenes.

snowgirl_69
02-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Hmmmmm, I met The Cure many years ago when I waited outside the studio they were recording at in Cornwall, UK...they were cool...I was..errrr, drunk!!

wmgaretjax
02-26-2007, 01:16 PM
i hung out with the guys from bad religion. they were cool... i didn't have a demo to give them though... i wasn't really in a band... i'm not so cool.

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Stef, want to have a band rivalry once I release a demo EP? We can be Oasis vs. Blur, only be friendly behind the scenes.
I fully support this idea.

randy ricochet
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Cheers. Won't be going but good luck.
The gig you are playing on saturday, Whereabouts in Camden is the venue?...where's it near as I might come along to see what you're like

TomAz
02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Met many muscians over the years, but the BEST guy, personality wise, was Dave Wakeling. Great attitude. My band had opened up for him, and after the show, he sat and spoke with me for about a half hour. He asked me how they sounded, and actually asked me about some equipment advice. I joked with him that it should be the other way around, and he said basically that no one is ever too good to learn something new! Class act!

I think it's funny how Wakeling leads a group called The English Beat and Ranking Roger leads a group called The Beat and they each try to claim they are the successor band to the orginal group.

Mr.Nipples
02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
nicest musician ive ever met is a tie between jonny greenwoode/colin and tom waits...waits recorded some tracks just down the street from my house(his drummer brian mantia is a neighbor).
stef, this is a really cool story...noel always seemed like the guy who would actually sit down and chat with his fans...

Stefinitely Maybe
02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Cheers. Won't be going but good luck.
The gig you are playing on saturday, Whereabouts in Camden is the venue?...where's it near as I might come along to see what you're like

It's on Malden Road, the same road as the Barfly. Nearest tube is Chalk Farm. Just walk down that road and you'll see the Fiddler's Elbow pub, on your left. We'll be the third band on, around 10pm. Come and say hello if you do come! And I'll put you down as "Randy" on your reduced-price guestlist too.

Also, I have tickets for that night at the Albert Hall with the Coral, but I can't go cause we're playing a gig that night. So I'm going to the one the night before instead, with The View supporting.

bballarl
02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I swear Tom Waits' drummer is his son now. I might be wrong though.

Stefinitely Maybe
02-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Sure. Ten years from now you have to join a cartoon band and then start a new band called "The Mediocre, The Awful and The King". Deal?

wmgaretjax
02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
nicest musician ive ever met is a tie between jonny greenwoode/colin and tom waits...waits recorded some tracks just down the street from my house(his drummer brian mantia is a neighbor).
stef, this is a really cool story...noel always seemed like the guy who would actually sit down and chat with his fans...

I saw Greenwood and Yorke after the Berkeley show at SF MOMA. Knowing how Thom feels about attention I didn't approach them, I wanted to though.

randy ricochet
02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
It's on Malden Road, the same road as the Barfly. Nearest tube is Chalk Farm. Just walk down that road and you'll see the Fiddler's Elbow pub, on your left. We'll be the third band on, around 10pm. Come and say hello if you do come! And I'll put you down as "Randy" on your reduced-price guestlist too.

Also, I have tickets for that night at the Albert Hall with the Coral, but I can't go cause we're playing a gig that night. So I'm going to the one the night before instead, with The View supporting.

Cheers boss. I'll come down.
I actually used to go round Camden a lot as I was seeing a girl who worked for music promotions company. She also used to organise Get Loaded and I had a drink with Bez from Happy Mondays

Mr.Nipples
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
I swear Tom Waits' drummer is his son now. I might be wrong though.

casey does play the drums, but not to the point where he could pull off an entire gig behind the kit, he's the dj if anything.

downingthief
02-26-2007, 02:17 PM
I think it's funny how Wakeling leads a group called The English Beat and Ranking Roger leads a group called The Beat and they each try to claim they are the successor band to the orginal group.

True. This was Dave Wakeling solo. I don't think he mentioned the words English Beat, or General Public once. I watched most of the set from the side stage; missed about the first 10 minutes, or so.

york707
02-26-2007, 02:36 PM
It's on Malden Road, the same road as the Barfly. Nearest tube is Chalk Farm. Just walk down that road and you'll see the Fiddler's Elbow pub, on your left.

I feel like I've read this sentence in a Bill Bryson book before.

TomAz
02-26-2007, 02:56 PM
True. This was Dave Wakeling solo. I don't think he mentioned the words English Beat, or General Public once. I watched most of the set from the side stage; missed about the first 10 minutes, or so.

what's the name of your band?

devachan
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I would have to say Chris Martin and Trent Reznor were the nicest celeb musicians I've met.

Chris took flowers I gave him before a Coldplay show and put them on his piano for the Coldplay show. The flowers were on the piano the entire show.

Trent let me interview him when I was a volunteer DJ at my college radio station. Awesome. (my interview was absolutely horrible).

DUDE!!! Please elaborate on the Trent interview!

amyzzz
02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
DUDE!!! Please elaborate on the Trent interview!
I think I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an ice pick. He was very sweet and accommodating the whole time, but I asked really retarded questions. I mean, just think of how I am now, on the board, and think of me 13 years younger at age 20. You really don't want to know.

devachan
02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Alright. But that's pretty fucking cool.

Yablonowitz
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b2/180px-Cbarris.jpg

Thanks tomszaz. I'm appropriating this.

Also, not to rain on your self-fellatio here, stef, but the facts are such:

Blur>Pulp>Spice Girls>Oasis

i_like_cake530
02-26-2007, 05:53 PM
i met dave king of flogging molly in some small pub in ireland. i told him i was a big fan, and he told me stories about him and the band, too bad i was too drunk to remember any of them now. he is a really cool guy.

fortydollarsworthofmeat
02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I feel like I've read this sentence in a Bill Bryson book before.

perfect.

bballarl
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Sure. Ten years from now you have to join a cartoon band and then start a new band called "The Mediocre, The Awful and The King". Deal?

No no. We will be wildly successful. You guys can be too. But we can trash eachother in the media.

bballarl
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
casey does play the drums, but not to the point where he could pull off an entire gig behind the kit, he's the dj if anything.

Okay cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

canexplain
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
i suppose the most famous person i met (non music just famous) was richard nixon .... i was 19 years old, stationed at an air force base in tenn.... i was walking down the street on base, and this limo pulls up ... it was nixon on a visit to our base ... he took me a mile or so down the road and asked what i thought about the war ... no comment i said .... didnt really want to tell him what i thought because i might have got into big trouble.. cr******

J~$$$
02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
HI RON! You should have just told him you wanted to punch hippies with elvis.

canexplain
02-26-2007, 10:18 PM
HI RON! You should have just told him you wanted to punch hippies with elvis.

i have no idea what that means, but it was funny ....cr****

beautiful nemesis
02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
amy, so what? we all know it was 13 years ago...
come onnn
give us the interview! please? :D

Benis23
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
i saw colin farrell at blockbuster once...he seemed like a douche

bmack86
02-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I saw the red headed kid from The Sandlot at Mayfair Market recently. He looks exactly the same

BoneDaddy
02-27-2007, 01:13 AM
I met Tool in a Pub in Studio City. Had quite a nice conversation with Adam and Danny. Maynard didn't look up from the table, but oh well, it was F'ing Tool!!!!

Here's to fast healing for Danny!:thu

downingthief
02-27-2007, 07:01 AM
what's the name of your band?

This was a few years back. That band was called "Della Street".

Courtney
02-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I've met... um, Lance Bass. I'm just special like that.

Kiefer
02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
i met kool keith once. it was before a show in chicago, and he went and got some fries and was eating and talking to a couple of us. then he told us he was going to the strip club before the show.

Courtney
02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
And yes, Stefinitely Maybe, that is fucking awesome and surprisingly cool of Noel.

Tylerdurden31
02-27-2007, 07:19 AM
You aint met anyone until you've met Captain Lou Albano on I-4 in Orlando during a traffic jam. He was a pretty friendly guy.

sonofhal
02-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Noel is a nice fella (met him a few years back), but i'm not a huge fan of Oasis. He seems a lot more genuine than a lot of big musicians.

amyzzz
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
amy, so what? we all know it was 13 years ago...
come onnn
give us the interview! please? :D
Thanks for caring, but I honestly don't know where it is. I have it on cassette tape in a box somewhere--possibly in my garage. I asked him questions like "what's your favorite color" and "what's your astrological sign?" I did ask him something relevant like "What advice would give to bands starting out?" (answers green, taurus, and I don't remember the last one).
I also asked him if there was any significance to the Nine Inch Nails name, and he said it was just made up and it had a nice abbreviation.

mob roulette
02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
my sister used to go out with ralphie from "a christmas story". almost put this in the confessions thread but changed my mind. he's truly a helluva nice guy.

vicorintian
02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Stefan, just heard sonicflyer on myspace. cool, i like your sound. if you ever need cover or flyer art, let me know.
I havent met anybody famous, at most it was mexican faux rock group moderatto at the ariport.

Stefinitely Maybe
02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks vicorintian!

I hardly slept last night because I was still so hyped about meeting Noel. I feel like shit now.

caco0283
02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I met Hulk Hogan last week...we were shooting at the forge and he happened to be eating there and dancing...when we finished shooting me and the DP rushed over to meet him....great guy that hasn't aged very well.

Next week (I think) we are shooting George H W Bush...so that should be cool

i_like_cake530
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I saw the red headed kid from The Sandlot at Mayfair Market recently. He looks exactly the same

haha awesome

NoneForMeThanks
02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Next week (I think) we are shooting George H W Bush...so that should be cool

I would re-word this if I were you.

krunchy
02-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I would re-word this if I were you.

Beat me to the funny you bastard!

codytwo
02-28-2007, 12:01 AM
my sister used to go out with ralphie from "a christmas story". almost put this in the confessions thread but changed my mind. he's truly a helluva nice guy.

Can we dedicate a thread to this?

mob roulette
02-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Can we dedicate a thread to this?

and she met him at BURGER KING. i kid you not. it's all downhill from there.

grossdale
02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
A few weeks ago I ran into and met George Clooney at my front door no less. It was odd, I walked out and seen him standing reading a small bill board. He is shooting a movie here, so I figured I'd see him but not at my front door.

whynotsmile99
04-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I saw RETURN OF THE KING at the DGA (Directors Guild of America) here in LA. I walk in with a friend and take a seat next to a group of young alternative looking kids. Didn't really pay em much attention.
Suddenly, i see Weird AL walk down the aisle and take a seat about 3 rows ahead of me. It looked like Weird Al, but different. He looked sad, old and tired. but had a ridiculous brown zebra striped shirt and same hair. it had to be him.

So without turning my head around, I say to the guy next to me "dude, is that weird al?!"

and the guy next to me looks up and says "I LOVE Weird Al!"

I turn up and look at him and it's Sean Lennon :)

dynamanda
04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I partied down with the Sugar Hill gang one night. That was fun. Me & my little sister jumped up on stage with them when they were playing in Houston. Afterwards me and a buncha friends went with them to their hotel and drank with them til the breaka breaka dawn. Those guys are funny.

When the Rockets played the Bulls in Houston - I think it was '97 or '98. My friend (a club owner) let me know that some of the players would be at his club that night. I showed up and got to meet Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Dennis Rodman & Carmen Electra. I'm not much of a basketball fan. Or sports fan period. But whatever. Barkley was the friendliest of them all. When the bouncers were making all the half naked drooling bitches get away from the players, Barkley told the bouncers he wanted me to stay. (I wasn't drooling. I'm not that into sports or celebs.)

I met Lyle Lovett one time. He was busy riding his dirt bike though.

That's all I can recall at the moment.

smokealotapotamus
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
there's a thing called "The Big Lebowskifest", the dude was there amongst a bunch of people in costume. I walk in and ask some guy "what the hell is going on?" he responds "Oh, it's the big lebowskifest, a whole bunch of crazy people are dressed up like characters from the film etc...". After that, I step out for a cigarette, and a photographer comes over to me and says, "Hey, Jeff Bridges is actually here... look, I have his picture". Sure enough, it was the guy that I had talked to. Guess I didnt meet him, but I had a word with "the dude" and that's pretty cool.