PDA

View Full Version : Camping situation... POOR PLANNING!

jblazin13
03-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Dear Coachella promoters and planners,

Just to start this thread off, this is a personal complaint against you. Never in the years of Coachella have you sold designated "camping spaces." My complaint is not the fact that you are selling designated areas, but the fact that you did not plan for the over crowding people needing to buy a camping space to park and over night vehicle. This has caused numerous people to buy a parking spot of a below average priced spot of three days of $55.

These "solo" campers have caused LESS people to enter, causing extreme scalping and an over demanded spot.

I guarantee that most spots at Coachella this year will be empty with a car or two parked in them.

Why do you not allow overnight parking lots for people that would like to park and tent camp only?

I am probably not the only one that thinks this years poor planning has caused confusion and disappointment to numerous tent campers.

Not only that, but I doubt very few people will want to park a tent in a spot of a scattered parking lot. Great atmosphere...

Such a great festival... disappointed this year.

Please help me out Coachella promoters... I have no where to go now!

rhtabor
03-27-2010, 11:09 PM
agreed

mountmccabe
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
There is a camper's parking lot, limited though it may be. People what bought an extra spot just for their car can now sell that spot.

Your guarantee is ridiculous, partially because no spots will have two cars in them and partially because the demand for space is so high. There's still several weeks for things to work themselves out.

I am happy to be able to be camping next to my car. This means I won't have to lug all my camping gear over a large field and I'll have my car's 12 volt outlet right there for charging my phone/hooking up an inverter. I will also appreciate the security of being able to lock any valuables I have along in my car (without a long walk) rather than just leaving them in my tent.

Still-ill
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I was going to invite you to stay on my camping spot. Forget it...

Hannahrain
03-27-2010, 11:14 PM
This has caused numerous people to buy a parking spot of a below average priced spot of three days of $55.

This sentence has caused numerous people to read a sentence of below average quality sentence of a dead carp stuffed with a complete failure of diction.

Hannahrain
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Also: I think there is a special shampoo you can get to help you with your extreme scalping problem.

guedita
03-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Not only that, but I doubt very few people will want to park a tent in a spot of a scattered parking lot. Great atmosphere...

I hate when my tent stalls right as I'm trying to pull it into a parking spot.

Hannahrain
03-27-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't understand why you have to be so negative all the time.

Lame Story
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
The one thing I'm confused about is, if the car camping and tent camping spots are the same price and size, why are they separating the lots? Couldn't they just have two lots of mixed options so that people would have the option of buying a second spot next to their car? Not that it's a big deal, and I'm sure there is a good reason. I'm just kinda curious. Maybe the lanes between spots aren't as wide in the tent only area? I've never camped before so I'm probably just being ignorant about the set-up.

unit300021
03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
My guess the reason for the separate camping spots has to deal with safety issues. Easier to deal with traffic flow if all are together.

Lame Story
03-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Makes sense.

oddlyenough
03-28-2010, 02:19 AM

Just to start this thread off, this is a personal complaint against you. Never in the years of Coachella have you sold designated "camping spaces." My complaint is not the fact that you are selling designated areas, but the fact that you did not plan for the over crowding people needing to buy a camping space to park and over night vehicle. This has caused numerous people to buy a parking spot of a below average priced spot of three days of $55.

These "solo" campers have caused LESS people to enter, causing extreme scalping and an over demanded spot.

I guarantee that most spots at Coachella this year will be empty with a car or two parked in them.

Why do you not allow overnight parking lots for people that would like to park and tent camp only?

I am probably not the only one that thinks this years poor planning has caused confusion and disappointment to numerous tent campers.

Translation: I didn't get a camping spot in time and I'm blaming it on Goldenvoice!

BROKENDOLL
03-28-2010, 02:32 AM
I hate when my tent stalls right as I'm trying to pull it into a parking spot.
:rotfl I want what you're having tonite! LOL

ELECtROjan
03-28-2010, 02:33 AM
any moron who spends the time to create an account and name it jblazin13 doesnt deserve a spot. fuck off lurker

JClemy
03-28-2010, 09:19 AM
You can also fit like 9 people on a spot this year. That would have been over $400 in years past. Also before if they sold out you couldn't pool your money to get one. Even at ebay prices with 9 people it's less than $100 a person.

gaypalmsprings
03-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Worst first post ever.

captncrzy
03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey dumbass-next time plan on getting your tickets when they go on sale. It's not like the timing is a surprise...on sale dates happen around the same time every year.

WhyTheLongFace
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Ummm doesnt camping always sell out early?

BROKENDOLL
03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey dumbass-next time plan on getting your tickets when they go on sale. It's not like the timing is a surprise...on sale dates happen around the same time every year.

On the other hand, I'm going to give the benefit of doubt here...Yes, tickets go on sale same time each year. This year they happened to be 3 day only, so I'm sure that was a chunk of change for some and probably caused some re-planning for a lot of peeps. And because of the new camp spot imfo, you had those that always go and camp, buying their spot. I'm gonna guess that many in the same camp groups bought individual spots not aware that not every purchase was necessary.

I recall old and new people asking questions in regards to this, and instead of any "know-it-alls" willing to explain, they chose to be cunts instead...(I won't mention names) So, what has happened is a sell out... Not because there's no space, but because there are a lot of people sitting by themselves (technically) on 10x30 spaces. It's time to quit being cunts to each other and calling each other dumbasses, and work at filling those 10x30 spots with new friends.
And personally, I think selling the extra spots for the exuberant prices I've seen on E-Bay is bullshit. That's not how you make friends. Money, maybe, but friends? You'd have a better chance at friends for life by splitting the $55 per space...Screw Capitolism and practice Coachellaism, people! And by all means, don't fuck with Goldenvoice, they know what they're doing...

OnlyNonStranger
03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
And personally, I think selling the extra spots for the exuberant prices I've seen on E-Bay is bullshit.

Jesus! I just checked out Ebay to look at prices for fun and some people are going to make a lot of money.

Stickjohn
03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
You do have a point about the confusion and it taking people awhile to figure it out. It's a change. I think the result is fewer camping tickets sold but more people camping, which means camping selling out could be a regular event going forward.

theresalwaysone
03-28-2010, 12:04 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/dxy62f.jpg

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 05:49 PM
There is a camper's parking lot, limited though it may be. People what bought an extra spot just for their car can now sell that spot.

we won't be risking it.

we're gonna have a spot with just our car in it, then camping in our tent-only spaces- im sure this is going to be the same story with a lot of people.

fancy restaurant
03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I totally disagree and applaud the handling of the camping situation this year.

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 05:56 PM
there is wayyy more camping this year than last.. we may have had to buy an extra spot just to park our car, but i dont give a fuuuck; no complaints here.

dantoro
03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh I get it, it's not your fault. Blame golden voice for YOUR POOR PLANNING. They obviously don't work hard to put on a massive festival.

I like the format of your post though: Complaint. Complaint, Complaint, Blame, Blame finger-point, Complaint, and Now Help me.

eskamo951
03-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Waiting until it sells outs to buy your camping pass is totally GV's fault, it's not like they said there's only LIMITED camping spaces. It's not as if RV spaces selling out was an indicator that it was time to buy your camping space, either.

Really, how difficult is it to pool together $55? Not very.

we're gonna have a spot with just our car in it, then camping in our tent-only spaces- im sure this is going to be the same story with a lot of people

You should offer up the rights to set up a tent on your spot. You may get a nice perk out of it, like money.

Double A
03-28-2010, 06:26 PM
On the other hand, I'm going to give the benefit of doubt here...Yes, tickets go on sale same time each year. This year they happened to be 3 day only, so I'm sure that was a chunk of change for some and probably caused some re-planning for a lot of peeps. And because of the new camp spot imfo, you had those that always go and camp, buying their spot. I'm gonna guess that many in the same camp groups bought individual spots not aware that not every purchase was necessary.

I recall old and new people asking questions in regards to this, and instead of any "know-it-alls" willing to explain, they chose to be cunts instead...(I won't mention names) So, what has happened is a sell out... Not because there's no space, but because there are a lot of people sitting by themselves (technically) on 10x30 spaces. It's time to quit being cunts to each other and calling each other dumbasses, and work at filling those 10x30 spots with new friends.
And personally, I think selling the extra spots for the exuberant prices I've seen on E-Bay is bullshit. That's not how you make friends. Money, maybe, but friends? You'd have a better chance at friends for life by splitting the $55 per space...Screw Capitolism and practice Coachellaism, people! And by all means, don't fuck with Goldenvoice, they know what they're doing...

I support this... This is my first Coachella, and I'm offering what room is left in my space to people needing a place to camp. I'm ready for the festivities, some good music, and meeting some new people.

MirrorPal
03-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi friends!
My girlfriend and I are looking to share a spot with someone. We're good hearted people who love life and would appreciate it to the furthest extent if someone reached out and shared their spot with us. We're 23 and 24, from orlando florida, and ive been to countless fest so i come prepared. We'd take up as little room as possible and share whatever we have with you ;) This is going to be a great coachella and we're looking forward to it very much!

By the way we already got scammed on craigslist trying to by a camping pass....bummer...but we're not letting it stop us. Just another reason why it would mean the world to us to camp in the camp grounds.

Check out my band Mirror Pal at www.mirrorpal.com

Have a great day,
Thanks
Kevin

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi friends!
My girlfriend and I are looking to share a spot with someone. We're good hearted people who love life and would appreciate it to the furthest extent if someone reached out and shared their spot with us. We're 23 and 24, from orlando florida, and ive been to countless fest so i come prepared. We'd take up as little room as possible and share whatever we have with you ;) This is going to be a great coachella and we're looking forward to it very much!

By the way we already got scammed on craigslist trying to by a camping pass....bummer...but we're not letting it stop us. Just another reason why it would mean the world to us to camp in the camp grounds.

Check out my band Mirror Pal at www.mirrorpal.com

Have a great day,
Thanks
Kevin

will you share your girlfriend?

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 07:09 PM
You should offer up the rights to set up a tent on your spot. You may get a nice perk out of it, like money.

actually just found some guy on here from our hometown- him and his friend are going to be camping next to our car.

nbvcide
03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
my biggest problem is that soooo much of that land is gonna be completely wasted.. i mean, sure, several groups are coming together and using up all the extra space for tents.. but there will be a few thousand that have one car, one tent set up on the spot, with the rest of the land that could have housed people being wasted.. hell, there are hundreds of people who are gonna show up, park their car on a 300sqft spot and walk to where their friends are camping to set up tent.... what a waste.

not too mention that most off-site camping & hotels are booked full now..

ELECtROjan
03-28-2010, 07:23 PM
so they should have a minimum amount of people per spot wes?

I had originally planned on setting my spot up for myself and another camper. Now ive opened it up for three other friends who were not going after the spots sold out. The only people that are struggling here are the ones that have no friends and didnt plan well.

darkjustice
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
camping is gay

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 07:32 PM
going to coachella and not camping is hardly going to coachella.

Stickjohn
03-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I think it's cool the way people are connecting on here - working the carpool forums if they have a car but need a spot, etc. Some of the people looking for tickets are irritating. I hate it when people talk about karma when they mean "you have something i want".

darkjustice
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
going to coachella and not camping is hardly going to coachella.

You have much to learn, my son.

nbvcide
03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
so they should have a minimum amount of people per spot wes?

I had originally planned on setting my spot up for myself and another camper. Now ive opened it up for three other friends who were not going after the spots sold out. The only people that are struggling here are the ones that have no friends and didnt plan well.

no, i didn't say that..

and that's not true, at all. im struggling to find a car camping pass for my car, and i've got over 100 friends camping & going to coachella.. hell, im camping next to you & your friends with the rest of the group..

there is a huge diff between having a friends who will let you set up a tent on their spot, and having a place to park your car overnight without it getting towed..

you don't know what the camping situation was before, so maybe you don't realize why others are saying it's poor planning.. because compared to the way it's always been, this is..

M Sparks
03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Never in the years of Coachella have you sold designated "camping spaces."

Except...that is EXACTLY what they always did, and in fact, they did it LESS this year. In the past, if tickets sold out, you simply could not enter the campground. Whereas THIS year, everyone is welcome to enter, and in fact I may be sharing my space with some friends who- like you- did not plan ahead. The main difference between them and you is that they have friends.

My complaint is not the fact that you are selling designated areas, but the fact that you did not plan for the over crowding

In the past, they had about 15,000 campers. (I don't have a source on that, but that's the generally accepted number.) This year they have 8000 spaces, in which you can put as many people as you want. That's an average of less than 2 people per spot. It's quite possible that the number of campers could top 20,000 this year. That...combined with the fact that there is reportedly MUCH more space devoted to camping this year...means you are wrong.

people needing to buy a camping space to park and over night vehicle... a parking spot of a below average priced spot of three days of $55. ...causing extreme scalping and an over demanded spot.

What?

I guarantee you don't know what the word "most" means. The correct answer is "a few" spots will be empty. Actually, that's not true, because the neighbors will spread out and take over the space for shade and whatnot.

AND, you can't park more than one car in a space, so the second part of your "guarantee" is dead wrong.

Because, they used that space TO MAKE MORE ROOM FOR MORE PEOPLE TO CAMP!

Yes, your poor planning has lead to your confusion, as well as numerous idiotic threads.

OK, so there's supposedly a severe shortage of camping space, and yet people are NOT going to use the space that is there, and in fact that they paid for, because of the "atmosphere?" And where the hell are all these people going? For this hypothesis to be true, you'd have to have like 4000 groups of people who all bought two tickets specifically so they could camp as far away from their vehicle as possible. Based on your "atmosphere" quote, I would assume that YOU would have been one of those people, if you could have gotten your lazy ass up sometime in the last 60 or so days and bought your tickets.

So, isn't it people like you who are the problem?

Honestly, I'm worried about overcrowding in the campground this year, not a "scattered parking lot". It's going to be nuts, and anyone with half a brain can see that.

Why would you be disappointed in a great festival? Do you even know what words mean?

Again, maybe consider getting yourself ONE friend who can think more than 7 seconds ahead.

M Sparks
03-28-2010, 08:21 PM
im struggling to find a car camping pass for my car

So, why didn't you buy one?

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 08:26 PM
You have much to learn, my son.

please, enlighten me

bdfsh
03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
there is a huge diff between having a friends who will let you set up a tent on their spot, and having a place to park your car overnight without it getting towed..

if you show up early enough, there is a weekend parking lot- again, this is LIMITED-- so if your only problem is having a place to park your car, get there early on Thursday... if you cant get there early on thursday, then maybe park at Palm Springs Airport and catch a cab or a bus?

shoegazer76
03-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Uhhh FYI yes designated camping spots have sold out many different years. You noobs are fuckin relentless.

crimethinker
03-28-2010, 08:58 PM
words

ah, this is why i love the internet. i don't know which is more obnoxious: the OP or this guy's line by line rebuttal.

unit300021
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM

so whats the lesson we learn here? Do not wait to the last minute to do shit, well at least coachella related things

M Sparks
03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
ah, this is why i love the internet. i don't know which is more obnoxious: the OP or this guy's line by line rebuttal.

The correct answer is, you complaining about my rebuttal without offering any additional input, opinion, or refutal is the most obnoxious.

Until you respond to this.

minogueCOMMAk
03-28-2010, 11:39 PM
The correct answer is, you complaining about my rebuttal without offering any additional input, opinion, or refutal is the most obnoxious.

QFT

crimethinker
03-29-2010, 01:57 AM

hey, that wasn't one of the choices

OMG GAI U GOT ME GUDZ!