PDA

View Full Version : How often do your things go "missing"

euphonicfiend
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I have been to coachella before and never had a problem. This year my noob boyfriend is attending, he is super paranoid that someone is gonna steal our canopy! WTF? I have never heard of that happening, and I just don't see it happening.. But then again paranoia spreads. Now I am here wondering if it has ever happened to anyone else? I'm sure items go missing.. But a canopy!?Now I'm just curious.

P.s. Sorry if this is a total lame thread.

frozen pilgrim
03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I've never had anything taken from camping. and I've lost my cell phone twice, and found it/had it returned both times

MaryS
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
I would weigh the value of the canopy vs the pain in the ass it would be to steal it...If you leave something out that is small and valuable, it might get taken.

GeminiDC
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, make friends with your neighbors and don't leave small stuff around and you should be pretty good. I've never been to Coachella but that's the rule of thumb at other festivals.

billtino
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
...This year my noob boyfriend is attending, he is super paranoid that someone is gonna steal our canopy! WTF?

10 years from now you will look back and ask yourself, "If I only had a sign that my life would've turned out this way..."

euphonicfiend
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
10 years from now you will look back and ask yourself, "If I only had a sign that my life would've turned out this way..."

I knew one like you would show up. Now I only wish you could have been funny. Any others?

redthreat
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
I have been to coachella before and never had a problem. This year my noob boyfriend is attending, he is super paranoid that someone is gonna steal our canopy! WTF? I have never heard of that happening, and I just don't see it happening.. But then again paranoia spreads. Now I am here wondering if it has ever happened to anyone else? I'm sure items go missing.. But a canopy!?Now I'm just curious.

i have a canopy. never worried once about it getting stolen.

if it happens it happens. no sense worrying about it.

if you're going to be real paranoid bring small chains and locks, that'll do the trick.

mickflyy
03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Cool dog.

insbordnat
03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Meth kills*

*and makes you paranoid.

A-Ron
03-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Had a blanket and a chair stolen our first year. Second year brother had his bag of soap, deoderant and toothbrush stolen, wtf? This year will be no problem, just lock everything in your car.

euphonicfiend
03-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Insbordnat - other drugs make you paranoid aswell. Maybe you chose meth from personal experience. I personally find that weed makes me paranoid. If you would like to know about other drugs that cause paranoia other then meth, find and officer and talk to him about the D.A.R.E. Program.

Rumforever
03-26-2010, 08:15 AM
D.A.R.E. made a pretty big impression on me. Being lied to does that.

leo01g
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
You should secure the tent with those spikes on the ground last year my tent was almost blown away if it wasn't for some friends that were nearby.

GuyInTucson
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I wasn't camping, but on the second day of 2003, I had my car broken into and they stole my $60 CD player, a $20 sack of bud (dirt), a bunch of burned CD's and they left behind an empty tall-can.

The funny thing was the fact they tok the time to break into my car to steal things that were virtually worthless to begin with. It just pissed me off that we had to drive back to Tucson with no radio.

frozen pilgrim
03-26-2010, 09:33 AM
You should secure the tent with those spikes on the ground

... you mean TENT STAKES?!

jesus christ. as a canadian, some of you people really, REALLY suck at camping.

this is why I walk around on thursday with a rubber mallet, scissors, twine, and extra tent stakes, and about every 10-20 campsites, someone calls out for help as I walk by :P

it's actually something I really look forward to. it's an awesome way to make friends with strangers from a bunch of different places

Tandemind
03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
If you can provide us with a picture of this canopy, then we will be able to tell you exactly why you should dump your boyfriend.

daxton
03-26-2010, 10:36 AM

this is why I walk around on thursday with a rubber mallet, scissors, twine, and extra tent stakes, and about every 10-20 campsites, someone calls out for help as I walk by :P

it's actually something I really look forward to. it's an awesome way to make friends with strangers from a bunch of different places

Good, I will be in need of your assistance. Probably just the mallet, but who fucking know, really. I may need all sorts of help.

cuauhtemoc723
03-26-2010, 10:44 AM
If you can provide us with a picture of this canopy, then we will be able to tell you exactly why you should dump your boyfriend.

that's funny.

but yeah, i think you should put valuables in the TRUNK of your car, not in the "cabin" where they can brake a window and take it. in 2002, i friend had her window broken and they took her cd player and MY book of cds (all originals b/c it was before it started burning. bjork, radiohead, tool, and several others... i was so pissed off, but at least i've downloaded them and still have their case and artwork).

and if you can open your trunk from the inside of your car, lock that too. my husband is paranoid, too. i'm so carefree b/c when things happen, they do. so we balance each other out.

don't fret, have a good time or all your energy will be drained by the "what if's..."

insbordnat
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Insbordnat - other drugs make you paranoid aswell. Maybe you chose meth from personal experience. I personally find that weed makes me paranoid. If you would like to know about other drugs that cause paranoia other then meth, find and officer and talk to him about the D.A.R.E. Program.

Thanks for the tip, but apparently it is you that are paranoid, friendo.

Apology accepted.

euphonicfiend
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM

I picked out this canopy.. And I must say, it's frickin AWESOME. I'm also a total nerd & and made sure the canopy protects you from UV rays. Not all of them do. It's a Coleman 15x15 canopy. It's much nicer then I thought it was when we bought it. Either way, it's sweet. I'm not worried of anyone taking it. When he thought of that, it really did make me wonder how often people were robbed of other items, not their canopy. Thanks for the insight people.

JustSteve
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
It's a Coleman 15x15 canopy.

too bad the campsite is only 10 feet wide.

BROKENDOLL
03-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Don't forget the zippy-ties, Luca! Those worked awesome last year attaching the sheet to the canopy for more shade! :thu We should team up on this...I'll wear my little blue wecome vest and hand out zippy-ties to people as they arrive at the gate, and then I'll direct them towards you if they need assistance setting up camp!

While that may seem to be a concern, I seriously doubt a camp neighbor is gonna mind the added shade, and you make a new friend because of it.

JustSteve
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
but said neighbor may have their own set up and not want the next door neighbor taking up 5 feet of their spot, basically half their allotted width if there is no walking path between sites...

euphonicfiend
03-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Too bad I'm prepared and I'm not car camping and I have 3 spots....

from the FAQ: Want more space? Buy another spot.

euphonicfiend
03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
P.s. Yes I have adopted people and have a large group.

PrettyRagdoll
03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
I've only had something taken once, and that was last year while checking in. Apparently, foldable chairs can grow legs and walk if you blink

billtino
03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Too bad I'm prepared and I'm not car camping and I have 3 spots....

from the FAQ: Want more space? Buy another spot.

It's still only 30x10 spots. and the 10 feet remains constant to ensure a firelane down the whole campsite. you can do, in your case 90x10, but surely not 30x30.

i don't know what the orientation of each plot will be, but you will be at least 2.5 feet in the fire lane....i've gotten away with 1 ft (each side) of my 17x10 tent into the fire lane (on the old 8x8 spots).

just sayin.

euphonicfiend
03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
But that all depends on how they line you up this year. I doubt they are going to give us a space that's 90feet long they will probably line us in 30x30.. I don't know for sure.. But i think we will be fine with a 15x15 canopy and 3 spots. If they do give us this crazy long space.. I would be surprised. But it's coachella.. Everythig pretty much tends to just work out.

Errant
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
I think things are lost more often than taken. One year our group got split up towards the end, so we waited by at my car for the others. The last guy eventually shows up, ranting and raving that someone had taken his wallet. He said he wasn't leaving with out a wallet, and smashed his way upstream into the crowd. A couple of minutes later, he comes back, triumphantly waving a wallet. It wasn't his. He had [I]taken[I/] it from another Coachie *gasp* I took it over to the lost and found and turned it in. When I got back to the car, he's standing there with a cheesy grin and holding his wallet. It hadn't been taken, he lost it getting out of the car that morning and it was sitting there in the grass the whole time.

psychic friend
03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
We get a lot of people who come to "lost and found" to look for items they tell us were stolen. So I often ask, why would a thief come turn in the thing they stole?

In 2006, someone(s) stole all my crusty dirty clothes from the weekend.. and the boyfriends. bag, backpack, had my prescription glasses in there, perfume.. favorite shorts.. all taken from the back of my car in the Staff parking. Luckily they did not notice the lap top in the front seat.

donkey sex
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
"Herro. You lookin for something?"

http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/albums/Photo-Blog/Dog_in_tent.thumb.jpg

Neighborhood Creep
03-26-2010, 05:47 PM
The only thing I hope that goes missing this year are my morals

akilleeez
03-26-2010, 05:51 PM
All I can say is: No. I have never encountered any theft problems myself, but they do occur. I've reported, seen and heard stories. More importantly, life's too short and great to limit yourself from paranoia. Coachella is one of those 'just-deal-with-it-if-and-when-it-happens' scenes.