PDA

View Full Version : The Police are still on...

barnes-z
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Source: friend/manager for 2 other Coachella performers.
I believe him.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 12:28 PM
hard to believe because they would be headliner over any of the other bands (maybe other than RATM)... just because of their stature.

NoGwenPlease
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
my friends at goldenvoice told me the same thing

:rolleyes:

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
i hope not.

amyzzz
01-22-2007, 12:34 PM
They'd work on Saturday. I'd watch em.

KRAMDAR
01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I see it happening. I mean, why not?

Did anybody see Oysterhead last year? Lord knows Steward Copeland still plays the drums like a motherfucker... I don't think this sounds as hopeful, idealistic, or exaggerated as the whole Smashing Pumpkins fantasy...

NoneForMeThanks
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
They'd work on Saturday.

That's what I was thinking.

Courtney
01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
That would be a nice late addition, considering how misled some people feel by the presale password.

(Of course, I'm totally a happy camper with the line-up as is... Police or not.)

bmack86
01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I'd watch em

fatbastard
01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I hope their performance isn't one of those Madonna 20 minute sets.

Yablonowitz
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm 99.99999% positive The Police aren't playing. But...if they were...they would easily trump Rage as the #1 act of the whole festival. We're talking about a band that was as big as U2 and who haven't played together in 20 years or so.

shotglass75
01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
you know it could be true. they did add like 3-4 major acts last year after the initial line up was put out. Anything could happen...like....um....UNDERWORLD PLEASE!!!!!

scottierock
01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
The Police? that would be cool... but I doubt it. Maybe Bonnaroo? The rumors have already started that they are headling there with Bob Dylan and Pearl Jam.... **yawn** . The thing about the Police is IF they were playing, wouldn't you think they would be announced as one of the headliners right away to generate immediate ticket sales? I dunno, it just kinda seems suspect to me that they would announce it later. I could be wrong tho.

orbit
01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I cant imagine The Police playing at Coachella, better said, I dont wanna imagine it. See Copelard would be great, but listen to Sting singing some indian acoustic version of Roxanne is not my wish of a headliner

sighlent
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
hopefully they don't have to bring the police out on gurneys or anything.

KenMixtape
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I cant imagine The Police playing at Coachella, better said, I dont wanna imagine it. See Copelard would be great, but listen to Sting singing some indian acoustic version of Roxanne is not my wish of a headliner

THANK YOU

nahzt
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
THANK YOU

Yes. Thank you is right. The police blow nuts.

wildlifeanalysis
01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I heard the Police are playing Bonnaroo and not Coachella

psychic friend
01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
gullabull gullable however you spell it. hahhaah

microcuts
01-22-2007, 03:54 PM
They waited last year to announce Madonna when that would have immediately caused a demand for tickets. I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility of The Police, no matter what Dani says. But the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that they just wouldn't fit in. They would definitely fit in at Bonnaroo, however.

The Nichole
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
I just feel really lame about telling people the police were playing because of that pre-sale hint. No big deal because i wasn't going because of them, but i still would be interested in checking them out.

MrAmeche
01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I personally don't care whether The Police are there or not, but I find it odd that people were intentionally misled. I mean, what if some poor kid in England bought presale tix and plane tix because he thought it was real? I mean, yeah that would be jumping the gun but why take the chance to do that to someone ... just for laughs? weak

poser1
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Source: friend/manager for 2 other Coachella performers.
I believe him.

You don't know anyone, you're probably a pizza delivery fanboy in Michigan or something.

Whatevah!

bnyced0
01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
I personally don't care whether The Police are there or not, but I find it odd that people were intentionally misled. I mean, what if some poor kid in England bought presale tix and plane tix because he thought it was real? I mean, yeah that would be jumping the gun but why take the chance to do that to someone ... just for laughs? weak

Intentionally misled by whom exactly? That imaginary poor kid is no kid if he/she is that enthralled by the Police who haven't played in 20 years, so anyone under 35 is unlikely to do something so silly and if they're over 35 and can afford it they're again neither poor NOR a kid. Whether the Police play or not, noone has the right to feel as though it was misrepresented by GV because of internet chatter and a password that was sent to those who were encouraged to buy tickets BEFORE any act was announced. Not going after you in particular, but this bullshit about people being misled is idiotic.

barnes-z
01-23-2007, 08:06 AM
You don't know anyone, you're probably a pizza delivery fanboy in Michigan or something.

Whatevah!

Poser1,
Not Michigan, Seattle.
Not pizza, Sony.
Manages Artic Monkeys and Travis (and Celine Dion).
Sez Police are still on.
I still believe him - tho I don't really care if The Police are there.

CCRGMac
01-23-2007, 08:37 AM
So your friend is Ian McAndrew?

lizardman
01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Do some of you actually believe Rage would be a headliner over the Police?!? THAT"S MENTAL. A police reunion could fill Dodgers Stadium. Name one Rage song that every music fan under 40 can sing. Now try to get ROOOXXXXAANNNEE out of your head.

bigc1
01-23-2007, 08:40 AM
it would be cool but i dont see how they can be worked into the lineup now.

york707
01-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Madonna wasn't a headliner and she's as bigas and influential as the police

Yookeroo
01-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Intentionally misled by whom exactly?

Goldenvoice.

That imaginary poor kid is no kid if he/she is that enthralled by the Police who haven't played in 20 years, so anyone under 35 is unlikely to do something so silly and if they're over 35 and can afford it they're again neither poor NOR a kid. Whether the Police play or not, noone has the right to feel as though it was misrepresented by GV because of internet chatter and a password that was sent to those who were encouraged to buy tickets BEFORE any act was announced. Not going after you in particular, but this bullshit about people being misled is idiotic.

Look, it would be stupid to plan a trip around a rumor. But it was pretty shitty of GV to play these childish games. On their best customers. What they did was misleading.

barnes-z
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
So your friend is Ian McAndrew?

No, not Ian McAndrew.
Not personal manager, label manager (Sony).

I still believe him...

Yablonowitz
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM

Perhaps, but Madonna wasn't a headliner because she is into dance music lately and could do a Sahara tent gig. Daft Punk wasn't the headliner on Saturday either.

The Police aren't playing because I don't see any of those three acts willingly giving up their headliner status. Not that I have a fucking clue how things work with Goldenvoice and this festival, but I'm fairly confident that it's part of the agreement to the headliners that that's how they'll be billed. You couldn't add the Police in and bump off RHCP, RATM, or Bjork. And The Police could simply not be anything but a headliner if they played.

Tylerdurden31
01-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Perhaps, but Madonna wasn't a headliner because she is into dance music lately and could do a Sahara tent gig. Daft Punk wasn't the headliner on Saturday either.

The Police aren't playing because I don't see any of those three acts willingly giving up their headliner status. Not that I have a fucking clue how things work with Goldenvoice and this festival, but I'm fairly confident that it's part of the agreement to the headliners that that's how they'll be billed. You couldn't add the Police in and bump off RHCP, RATM, or Bjork. And The Police could simply not be anything but a headliner if they played.

I disagree. Pixies, 2004.

Yablonowitz
01-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I really don't appreciate you referring to a Coachella year that I wasn't around for, tylerdurden. If that's your real name.

What happened with that? Who was the headliner before Pixies were added?

shotglass75
01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Pixies were always on the line up from Day One and Radiohead was always ahead of them. I just think since The Pixies were such a huge reunion that pretty much the entire crowd considered them headliners. Rightfully so.

Tylerdurden31
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I really don't appreciate you referring to a Coachella year that I wasn't around for, tylerdurden. If that's your real name.

no no...my point was that Radiohead headlined...Pixies went on before them. ie: Pixies are more influential than Radiohead, but still weren't made headliners

Yablonowitz
01-23-2007, 10:47 AM
no no...my point was that Radiohead headlined...Pixies went on before them. ie: Pixies are more influential than Radiohead, but still weren't made headliners

Oh, they played the same day. Shit, I didn't know that. Who was the headliner the other day?

sweet artie
01-23-2007, 10:47 AM
According to KIIS FM... Supposedly the KROQ pre-sale password is "Roxanne" so...

Peabs42177
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
The Cure

york707
01-23-2007, 10:50 AM
but I'm fairly confident that it's part of the agreement to the headliners that that's how they'll be billed.

I agree.

And The Police could simply not be anything but a headliner if they played.

I disagree. See Durden's comments.

According to KIIS FM... Supposedly the KROQ pre-sale password is "Roxanne" so...

Really? Please elaborate.

C DUB YA
01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Let's hope its not a game, because that would be crummy of GV.

lust-e
01-23-2007, 11:11 AM
The Police are extremely talented musicians. Expect them to be great live, whether it be at Coachella or Bonarroo.

SnowShoe
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Here's Why The Police Will Play Coachella:

1. GV would never screw with fans by making their TM password "ROXANNE" unless The Police were confirmed. They are not desperate.

2. The Police will probably be opening the Grammy Awards on Feb. 11. They won't announce their "reunion" until that show.

3. The Police tour will be the largest of the year. Their managers are probably working out the details with 100 venues right now.

4. When The Police officially announce their reunion, there will be a date of April 27th in Indio, CA. Mark my words.

sweet artie
01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Yesterday afternoon/early evening KIIS FM jocks were talking about Coachella. They started talking about the rumored Police reunion. They mention the password for the Coachella pre-sale being "Roxanne". That's about all that was said...

sweet artie
01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I also heard about The Police opening the Grammy's and a possible show @ Dodger Stadium this summer...

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
There will be plenty of police at Coachella, and Zack de la Rocka will taunt them.

montague
01-23-2007, 01:40 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/buzzbands/2007/01/busted_by_the_r.html
Busted by the rumor police

Coachella, don't stand so close to me: Let's just arrest that talk about the Police playing this year's festival.

The massive gathering in Indio may be unofficially subtitled the Great Reunion in the Desert (with Rage Against the Machine, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Crowded House and the Happy Mondays taking bows together again), but don't believe the hype that Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are back in synchronicity for a stop at the Empire Polo Field. The whispers gained traction this weekend when a presale of tickets for repeat customers presented the cryptic password "Roxanne." But turn on the red light.

"No, the Police are not playing, I can tell you that," promoter Paul Tollett tells Times staffer Geoff Boucher. "This is the show right now as it's going to be on the big stages. The main-stage lineup and second-stage lineup for all three days are locked in."

york707
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Sweet jesus sweet artie, I was kidding. There are 193,248 threads about that here. And, as montague pointed out, Paul Tollett said the Police are ano-go.

The big add will be a Saraha tent add.

braundiggity
01-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Pixies were always on the line up from Day One and Radiohead was always ahead of them. I just think since The Pixies were such a huge reunion that pretty much the entire crowd considered them headliners. Rightfully so.

Pixies aren't headlining material. Influential? Hell yes. Great? Absolutely. Popular? Not exactly. Not on the level of a headliner. They didn't have the radio play or album sales of a headliner. They generated a ton of excitement, absolutely, but so does Arcade Fire, and they're absolutely not headlining material (and no, I'm not equating the greatness of those two bands). You have to remove yourself from your personal opinion of the band and look at them objectively in terms of widespread popularity.

As such, The Police *would* headline. They had the radio hits, the album sales, and the continuing popularity (and radio play) to be a major, major headliner.

But they won't play. Unless they decide they want to do a tent tour instead of a stadium tour, and play in the Gobi or something, haha.

RockStr4Life
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
None of the headliners would be willing to bump their spots...and the Police wouldn't settle for anything less than a headlining spot for this magnitude of a reunion. It's not gonna happen.

mountmccabe
01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Pixies were more influential and all but they have never been a bigger draw than Radiohead.
The Police, however, were huge. Their last US date - June 15, 1985 - was at Giants Stadium. Their last full US tour was also football stadiums or multiple Arena nights. The last two times they were in London they played Wembley four consecutive nights. I can't see them as a pre-headliner.

Oh, they played the same day. Shit, I didn't know that. Who was the headliner the other day?
You learned how to use the quote button!

1. GV would never screw with fans by making their TM password "ROXANNE" unless The Police were confirmed. They are not desperate.

2. The Police will probably be opening the Grammy Awards on Feb. 11. They won't announce their "reunion" until that show.

3. The Police tour will be the largest of the year. Their managers are probably working out the details with 100 venues right now.

4. When The Police officially announce their reunion, there will be a date of April 27th in Indio, CA. Mark my words.

If the Police were confirmed I really think they'd be on the poster. And one of those headliners would be either not there or moved to a different day
This is a good point.
If they're doing a huge tour why would they play Coachella? I can see them playing a number of festivals and call it quits or maybe doing an extended tour of the world but skipping the festivals. I cannot for the life of me seeing them do both.
The Police on Friday? Seriously?

But, of course, this is all speculation and guesses.

GTI_GRL
01-23-2007, 03:22 PM
They waited last year to announce Madonna when that would have immediately caused a demand for tickets. I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility of The Police, no matter what Dani says. But the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that they just wouldn't fit in. They would definitely fit in at Bonnaroo, however.

Does anyone know how much Madonna made for her set?

SnowShoe
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know how much Madonna made for her set?

If Smiths were offered $5 million and turned it down, how much did Madge make?

Pull $10 out of your wallet. Now add five zeros. That's my guess.

crazzz2007
01-23-2007, 03:54 PM

i'm sorry you missed 2004....you picked a very bad year to miss.

the pixies and radiohead were basically co-headliners. i don't see a problem with coachella adding the police or an act of that statute and billing them as co-headliners with rhcp.

crazzz2007
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
oh, and the last act to play the main stage isn't necessarily the headliner.

faxman75
01-23-2007, 03:58 PM
I love how the debate continues even after the article that quotes the guy who puts on Coachella says there will be no more mainstage or second stage acts added. HA!

mountmccabe
01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
If Smiths were offered $5 million and turned it down, how much did Madge make?

Pull $10 out of your wallet. Now add five zeros. That's my guess.

The Smiths, however, were not offered $5 million. Morrissey was joking or lying.

68,000 paying customers (it's probably less than that) x $85 per ticket (something like that) = $5,780,000.

Giving the Smiths $5 million would leave less than a million for the other 45 arists along with all the staff, crew, electricity, rental fees and so on.

I'd guess Madonna was more along the lines of a couple hundred thousand.

bmack86
01-23-2007, 04:15 PM
John, you have to multiply that by two to get the two days. They probably grossed around $12,000,000 before paying anyone, over the course of two days. Actually, less, since tickets were less than 85 last year, but still.

Sexecutioner
01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Yesterday afternoon/early evening KIIS FM jocks were talking about Coachella. They started talking about the rumored Police reunion. They mention the password for the Coachella pre-sale being "Roxanne". That's about all that was said...

you listen to KIIS FM? what are you doing here? ;)

mountmccabe
01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
My ticket from last year says $83.50. I guess and was close enough for a rough estimate.

What I'm really saying is that to pay the Smiths $5 mill for Coachella 2006 with those ticket prices GoldenVoice would've made $4.5 million less than they did. With a gross from the tickets for two days at about $11.5 there's no way they profitted anywhere even close to $4.5 million.

Throw in merch and camping and food/drinks (all of which have their own costs) and I simply refuse to believe that they pulled in that much over expenses.

And if they did then they're doing it for the money anyway and basically it'd be GoldenVoice footing the bill for the Smiths. Put another way if they're overcharging us that much they weren't going to pay $4.5 million extra to switch from Depeche Mode or Tool (or to switch out an undercard artist) for the Smiths.

It sold out (or at least nearly did) without the Smiths... they'd be getting nothing for that marginal investment. Unless they were going to raise ticket prices to $120 per day or something.

Script.

ps - the $500k for the headliner is a guess and it's probably high too.

pps - open question for anyone/everyone: if you were offered the choice of $4.5 million or a one-off festival gig from the Smiths... which would you choose?

suprefan
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Gullible....

Yookeroo
01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
The Police on Friday? Seriously?

Makes sense. Schedule the biggest draw on the the hardest day to sell tickets.

Not that I think they'll be there, but it is logical.

instinct
01-24-2007, 01:10 AM

why are you listening to KIIS FM?

And yea... I think most of the people on this site have been aware of the pre-sale ticket being roxanne.. hence due to this discussion about GV intentionally misleading everyone.

TomAz
01-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I have it on confidential information from an inside source that half the people on this thread are fucking idiots.

full on idle
01-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Have you had some bad masala Tom? Grump-y.

york707
01-24-2007, 05:58 AM
John - you completely forgot corporate sponsorship money. that is proabbly how they generate most of the income from the festival. Do you think Heineken just got lucky to have GV ask them to have their beer their? same with all the other sponsors.

codytwo
01-24-2007, 07:14 AM
This year's lineup is shitty.
You are all idiots and I am not.
Rage Against the Machine is lame.
Depeche Mode is bigger than Radiohead.
I know whether or not The Police will play this year.

suprefan
01-24-2007, 07:17 AM
This year's lineup is shitty.
You are all idiots and I am not.
Rage Against the Machine is lame.
Depeche Mode is bigger than Radiohead.
I know whether or not The Police will play this year.

Oh cody................

sweet artie
01-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey "sexecutioner" I've already stated that it wasn't ME who was listening to KIIS (Hell, I don't even listen to KROQ or any other damn radio station except INDIE 103.1 during Jonesy's Jukebox) it was a co-worker that heard about all of that Police password shite. So there you go guy...

sweet artie
01-24-2007, 07:25 AM
That goes for you too "instinct"

bug on your lip
01-24-2007, 07:31 AM
it was a co-worker that heard about all of that Police password shite. So there you go guy...

you frequent WebMD about herpes mouth on your co-workers behalf as well.

liza e
01-24-2007, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=york707;9591]Madonna wasn't a headliner and she's as bigas and influential as the police[/QUOTE

Madonna, Badonna what a basket of poop. I actually think she just used Coachella to try and steal attention for her aging ego. Why she'll jump on any popular trend for a front page story, whatever happened to her pledge to Kabbalah? She was such a weird-o fit to the Coachella line-up. Whereas "The Police" would fit right in, regardless of age or music styles they have tried w/their past or current groups. They would fit right in with the flavor and environment! I would love, love, love to see a Reunion, but I think that it is quite a long shot. Even if I had a friend who knew Sting's uncle's parakeet's sister who heard that it was a go...

Good Luck!

el_harderino
01-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Do some of you actually believe Rage would be a headliner over the Police?!? THAT"S MENTAL. A police reunion could fill Dodgers Stadium. Name one Rage song that every music fan under 40 can sing. Now try to get ROOOXXXXAANNNEE out of your head.

Unfortunately my friend, YOU are the mental one. A Rage reunion that close to LA is obviously a bigger deal than the Police. If the Police play before Rage and the enthusiasm is low I'll put in a good word and see if they will play your living room instead.

SnowShoe
01-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Goldenvoice does not make much from sponsorship. In fact, they have often turned down sponsors who are not the proper fit for the event, which is basically unheard of in the concert business.

Coachella a victim of it's own success. Bands would pay money out of their pocket to play Coachella, but since the event sells so many tickets, they jockey for the biggest payday. They let their managers do the dirty work, but they all want to get paid big bucks.

Rage was paid huge money to reunite for Coachella. Anyone who thinks differently is a fool. Madonna probably took somewhat of a discount, since she needed Coachella more than the festival needed her.

The Smiths were absolutely offered $5 million to play last year. And it is probably true that Goldenvoice would have been booking them for the ego factor, not because it made good business sense. But they wouldn't have lost money... and they would have been the only promoter in the world to pull off getting the band back together, which would have probably earned them future favors if the band toured the US in the future - AEG could have produced a national tour, for example. There are many other factors then their 90 minute set on stage in Indio.

I still think headliners get $1,000,000, or something awfully close. I'm in the media, not a promoter, but I know Kanye gets huge money, so you know Radiohead, Pixies, Depeche Mode, etc. were well paid. And they should be if the event is selling 80,000 tickets.

york707
01-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Trust me, I am not saying Rage isn't getting paid.

In fact, they have often turned down sponsors who are not the proper fit for the event

This, in no way, means that the sponsors that are there aren't paying big money to be there. In fact, I would argue that GV's selectiveness actually increases the amount the sponsors want to pay because they know there is a certain cachet with being in the pool of sponsers GV sees as "fitting".

everlay
01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
RATM will be an event that changed history. remember this post.

desphrs
01-25-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003537984

Report: Police Rehearsing For Tour In Vancouver
January 25, 2007, 4:00 PM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Police will rehearse for their upcoming reunion tour at Lions Gate Studios in Vancouver, according to reports today (Jan. 25) by the city's classic rock radio station, CFMI. Details of the summer trek, the band's first in more than two decades, will be announced next month.

In addition, the Police are strongly rumored to be performing as part of the opening segment of the Grammy telecast on Feb. 11 from Los Angeles' Staples Center. At deadline, a Grammy spokesperson had no information on a possible appearance by the group.

Before the Police get busy, Sting has a three-week European tour on tap in support of his lute album, "Songs From the Labryinth." The outing, which finds the artist accompanied by lutenist Edin Karamazov, begins Feb. 18 in Paris and wraps March 12 in Stuttgart, Germany.

Yet more hints that the Police will not be at Coachella... and probably not at Bonnaroo either... but if they're rehearsing in North America their reunion tour will probably not be Europe-exclusive. Boo-ya!

instinct
01-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I am sure Goldenvoice gets a big chunk for Heineken.. I'm sure that's the festivals biggest sponsor.. my friend gets free tickets for working in a bar that serves Heineken...

CuervoPH
01-25-2007, 09:23 PM
and if the Police reunite and tour, I will fucking go wherever I have to to see them...I missed them on their Synchronicity tour, thinking I'd catch them the next time they toured...big mistake...

idrive1life
01-25-2007, 09:26 PM
how to get tix to that stinking grandmommys?

TheCutestBoyAlive
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I believe this because I saw the drummer from the police at Coachella last year. Maybe he was scoping out the atmosphere and making sure the Police would fit the ambience or whatever.

pewter14
01-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I believe this because I saw the drummer from the police at Coachella last year. Maybe he was scoping out the atmosphere and making sure the Police would fit the ambience or whatever.

That logic is astonishingly bad.

microcuts
01-26-2007, 08:15 AM

I somehow doubt that. But ok.

CCRGMac
01-26-2007, 08:36 AM

Copeland was actually playing at Bonnaroo (with Oysterhead) and showing his movie, so your logic is ten times stronger for Roo than Coachella.

sweet artie
01-26-2007, 09:09 AM
"bug on your lip"??? How about BALLS ON YOUR CHIN!

bmack86
01-26-2007, 09:15 AM

Him and Andy Summers were there to show the Police documentary.

liza e
01-26-2007, 09:45 AM

like my son says, "i guess".

krk67
01-26-2007, 11:33 AM
The Smiths were absolutely offered $5 million to play last year.
The only one who benefits from this sort of publicity is The Smiths. What a surprise that the initial quote came out of Morrissey's mouth.

$1 or 2 million I can see. Without obnoxious corporate sponsorship the likes of which appears at the CS&E productions (ACL & Lolla), $5 million makes no sense.

YouMakeMeLoseMyButtons
01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I swear the police played an acoustic xmas for kroq. with incubus, right? or maybe it was just the one guy. I dont know. meh.

tixman
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Well.... here's how I know it as of now.... the Police are still in Negotiation as of now.... They are re-uniting to play some sort of televised event and it was thought of as a good idea to play Coachella since they were around the same time, so its still being negotiated (even though it looks pretty good as of now). Also there are a lot more bands to be added. Think about it, there were 100 bands last year over a span of 2 days.... right now, there are about 100 bands over a span of 3 days..... so there is plenty more to come........ one last thought, im worried this may be Coachella's last year.... they brought RATM in for the first Coachella, maybe their bringing them back for the last :( I hope not!!!!

luveebunni08
01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
i doubt that GV would make coachella a three day event only to turn around and make it the last year. it's the 8th year. think of things in even numbers, like 10th year will be the last year.

i highly doubt that they would end it, especially with all the support from the coachella regulars and the people who go for the first time every year from around the globe. chin up.

NoneForMeThanks
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
i doubt that GV would make coachella a three day event only to turn around and make it the last year.

I'd like to think expanding Coachella and then starting up a new festival the weekend after is a good sign that it's not going anywhere soon.

fober
01-26-2007, 01:11 PM
As the good Mr. Wright so eloquently wrote years before to his untimely demise, "Fuck the Police."

mozabilly54
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM

I'll remember that you're an idiot.

fatbastard
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
I seen the Synchronicity tour 8632 days ago today.

mikediamond
01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
goldenvoice extended their contract with the indio field for another five years, this wuold be the first year of that deal. weve got at least five more years of coachella, BABYAB

SnowShoe
01-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Yet more hints that the Police will not be at Coachella... and probably not at Bonnaroo either... but if they're rehearsing in North America their reunion tour will probably not be Europe-exclusive. Boo-ya!

Actually, your article lends more credence to them playing at Coachella. They have already moved into the Vancouver studio and are rehearsing as of today. What's the rush? Well, Sting has to bail to Europe for some dates, and he needs to be ready to play with The Police early in the summer.... as in Fri. April 27!

The Police are going to open the Grammys. They are gonna announce a North American tour shortly after. And they are gonna play Coachella and Bonnaroo, since that will keep their names on the lips of the kids. And they are soll expensive tickets to 40-ish fans all over the land at $75/pop. Make good business sense.

prison sex
01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
goldenvoice extended their contract with the indio field for another five years, this wuold be the first year of that deal. weve got at least five more years of coachella, BABYAB

Wow 5 more years!

Each year they outdo themselves it seems like, at least for me. I wonder what the next year headliners will be.

Goldenvoice does an amazing job booking bands.

3 years in a row = my top 3 favorite bands.

Janglngjack
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
you know it could be true. they did add like 3-4 major acts last year after the initial line up was put out. Anything could happen...like....um....UNDERWORLD PLEASE!!!!!

I just hope that they schedule things well, where we can see all these reunited bands and still make it to some other cool shows. Or I'm going to have to bounce around. Don't mind doing that for the smaller acts in the afternoon, early evening, just hate when headliners play at the same time. ...
i.e. Depeche Mode, and Daft Punk...

John Peel is My Co-pilot
01-26-2007, 06:53 PM
hopefully they don't have to bring the police out on gurneys or anything.

Were but that true. Sting is fitter than all of us. He can't be killed by conventional weapons y'know!

offyerhead
01-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Actually, your article lends more credence to them playing at Coachella. They have already moved into the Vancouver studio and are rehearsing as of today. What's the rush? Well, Sting has to bail to Europe for some dates, and he needs to be ready to play with The Police early in the summer.... as in Fri. April 27!

A friend of mine hooked into the entertainment industry called me a few hours ago saying the Police were indeed already here in Vancouver and he'd been told they were playing Coachella. He figured I was going and wanted to know if I'd pick him up a couple of 3 day passes tomorrow when I get mine...Sure, just two, are you sure? What are friends for.

interpolitix
01-26-2007, 08:29 PM
i would imagine that if the police were to play they'd probably aim to shred thru their classics with newfound zeal.
there was a great comment earlier in the thread about sting giving a sitar laden version of roxanne or something. right on and totally possible. but, if they're recording and playing some major shit this summer, they'd probably like to move a crowd. you know, one of those major festival type moments.

nahuatldream
01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I would definitely like to see The Police. Someone needs to bump RHCP from the headliner spot on Saturday.

thom cobain
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
let's smash it to the floor and put a carpark...i have seen it in stories.

M Sparks
01-27-2007, 07:11 AM
And they are soll expensive tickets to 40-ish fans all over the land at $75/pop. Make good business sense.

Don't know what "soll" means, but us old folks should be so lucky if it's only $75.

I bought my wife Madonna tickets for her birthday last year...$95 for LOUSY seats. The worst part...her best friend bought floor seats for over $200...then her fiance gave his up so my wife could sit on the floor. Which left 2 guys who couldn't care less sitting together in the upper level, talking about old punk shows in $200 worth of cramped wooden chairs.

Police tickets will be well over $100. Because I will pay that, and I am a cheap bastard.

desphrs
01-27-2007, 12:21 PM

I'm most concerned that the band wouldn't follow your logic where late April = early summer. Every bit of news I've heard about this possible tour has been "summer tour, summer tour, summer tour." I hope I'm wrong... God, I hope I'm wrong.

beerbyatch
01-27-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm most concerned that the band wouldn't follow your logic where late April = early summer. Every bit of news I've heard about this possible tour has been "summer tour, summer tour, summer tour." I hope I'm wrong... God, I hope I'm wrong.

Coachella weekend is the official beginning of summer for me!

alpharuin
01-27-2007, 02:21 PM

It's being moved the the new Polo grounds isn't it? I though they were building houses in the current location?

Psychocandy
01-27-2007, 02:22 PM
The Police are/were cock. I'd rather staple my scrotum to the back of a horse drawn cart than watch Sting do anything (including anything tantric).

oh_stella!
01-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Good point(s). I could definitely see The Police headlining Friday night, and Bjork being put in the "Dance Tent" as the Sahara headliner. Anything's possible.

nahuatldream
01-27-2007, 04:00 PM
It's being moved the the new Polo grounds isn't it? I though they were building houses in the current location?

The new "Equestrian center" is located on Airport Blvd (Ave. 56) where it meets old Hwy 86. If indeed they have extended their contract, and if indeed houses are being built on the grounds of the current Polo Fields, I'm guessing Coachella will move along with the Empire Polo Club.

microcuts
01-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Bjork will not be playing in the Sahara Tent. Not a chance of that.

fober
01-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Bjork in the dance tent?

YAFR ARAFAT

fatbastard
01-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Bjork will be on the main stage.

sithlord
01-29-2007, 09:11 AM
saturday is sadly lacking in HUGE headline acts...I mean, Decemberists, a headliner? don't think so.

the police...word.

desphrs
01-29-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm doubting that there would be another Sahara-tent headliner to be added to play opposite Bjork on Friday. I tend to think if you like Bjork you'd like the Sahara headliner, and putting someone like a late-added Underworld or a Portishead up against Bjork would be cruel and/or stupid on GV's part. If the Police play any day I think they'd play Friday in front of Bjork.

If they do add another Sahara headliner it would be smartest to put it on Saturday -- I still don't believe Tiesto's the headliner that day, plus it would give Chili Pepper non-fans a good alternative.

frozen pilgrim
01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I dunno. seems the group of fans that'd mind missing the police the least would be the RATM contingent. I mean it's totally counterintuitive, putting them on at the same time, but I think it'd work out really well

microcuts
01-29-2007, 10:55 AM
There's no way the Police would be playing anything but main stage though, so that wouldn't work.

The Police could probably sell out the polo grounds on their own anyway. They wouldn't need Coachella.

desphrs
01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Pitchfork is now reporting the Police Grammy reunion, rehearsals, and tour talk as news.

No specific mention of any other dates -- Coachella, Bonnaroo, or otherwise.

everlay
02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll remember that you're an idiot.

o go shake your booty then mr sideburns

fober
02-01-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.garbett.org/images/threadwouldntdie.jpg

Janglngjack
02-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, it looks like they're playing Bonnoroo Festival, wonder if that means Coachella is out....

luckyface
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, it looks like they're playing Bonnoroo Festival, wonder if that means Coachella is out....

Nope. Now they are waiting for the full tour announcement, and then they will announce Coachella. Inside sources confirm it.

boarderwoozel3
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
As the good Mr. Wright so eloquently wrote years before to his untimely demise, "Fuck the Police."

Do you enjoy being a tool?