PDA

View Full Version : Where is The Sahara Headliner????

JonnyM
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Im sorry, tiesto and PVD do not equal sahara headliners! where are fatboy slim and aphex twin?????? Glad i will see Justice (finally) and Dj shadow, but please, i seriously hope these arent the final sahara headliners!

C DUB YA
01-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Expect a Sahara headliner to still be announced - I agree with you. I think Tiesto has one sewn up.

amdux
01-22-2007, 12:21 PM
felix isn't to that level yet?

Boourns
01-22-2007, 12:21 PM
DJ Arnold Schwarzenegger

chairmenmeow47
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Im sorry, tiesto and PVD do not equal sahara headliners!

THANK YOU!!!!

felix da housecat needs to go away as well. my god, if i wanted to see him, i could just go to monster massive :rolleyes shadow and hawtin are dope though.

i'm hoping we'll get some late editions *crosses fingers*

KRINGER
01-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Seriously GV has already had the majority of the epic electronic acts that can properly rock out out the Sahara [daft punk, kraftwerk, underworld]. They need to bring in APHEX TWIN or should consider Rabbit In The Moon.. if you've ever seen their live show you know what i'm talking about!!

mrsmaker
01-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Doesn't Faithless count as a headliner?

Bosco
01-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Faithless/FTHC might be one on Friday, LCD soundsytem/Tiesto on Saturday, Soulwax/PVD on Sunday

but yeah, i agree sahara headliners need upgrade.

And we need a upgrade in hip hop too. Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Madlib, MF Doom, or Afrika Bambaataa anyone?

sddoctor
01-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Who cares when you've got talent like Justice, Digitalism, Erol Alkan, Evil Nine and Soulwax!...but I do agree, Tiesto and PVD are tired.

Bosco
01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
now that im thinking about it, maybe willie nelson will do a DJ set

C DUB YA
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I guess Faithless could headline, but they don't draw here like they do in the UK

WE NEED UNDERWORLD!!!!!

xbnmx
01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Why is Tiesto billed so much higher than Van Dyk? I predict he gets knocked down unles he's doing one of his live sets.

jackstraw94086
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Why is Tiesto billed so much higher than Van Dyk? I predict he gets knocked down unles he's doing one of his live sets.

Even though PVD and Tiesto always duke it out for the 1 and 2 most popular DJ's in the world, Tiesto's is just the more popular draw among trance crackers. He's a bigger name than PVD among the general public.

Tiesto doesn't DJ anymore. I read he only uses Live now. Thus any set of his is a live set, even though for trance that's pretty meaningless. All it really means is there's no chance of train wrecks. You're paying tons of money to watch him either play his pre-wired set.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 02:53 PM
DJ Arnold Schwarzenegger

Goldenvoice doesn't have the cash to bring him in.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Even though PVD and Tiesto always duke it out for the 1 and 2 most popular DJ's in the world, Tiesto's is just the more popular draw among trance crackers. He's a bigger name than PVD among the general public.

Tiesto doesn't DJ anymore. I read he only uses Live now. Thus any set of his is a live set, even though for trance that's pretty meaningless. All it really means is there's no chance of train wrecks. You're paying tons of money to watch him either play his pre-wired set.

maybe they could battle, set up both their rigs, press the play button and then
a heated match of paper football while their sets do their thing.

xbnmx
01-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm so sick of this vinyl-only elitist bullshit.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
there are so many people who play electronic/dance/techno music who don't use vinyl yet still come up with much much much more interesting shit than either tiesto or pvd

New_Paradigm
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I think for Friday night the headliners are intended to be Faithless and DJ Shadow (in which order, I'm not sure). That's fine with me, but Saturday needs another big name to go with Tiesto, and likewise for Sunday with PvD. I expect Underworld added to close it down Sunday night and something like Sasha/Digweed added to Saturday. I've got my fingers crossed for Aphex Twin and Squarepusher to be thrown in there somewhere as well!

direwolf092386
01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
who cares... rage is playin

xbnmx
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Those of us who like to dance care.

Sasha and Digweed would be excellent, but they were just in LA for NYE.

If Faithless can be a Sahara headliner, I'm worried someone might decide to throw Happy Mondays in there...

sighlent
01-22-2007, 03:06 PM

I hope thats your birthday and PIN number to all sorts of important things.

microcuts
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM

I'd rather see anybody in the Sahara Tent than Rage.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
DAT Politics is a really fun band btw... not a headliner but great group of frenchies.

hotnikkels
01-22-2007, 03:17 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

felix da housecat needs to go away as well. my god, if i wanted to see him, i could just go to monster massive :rolleyes shadow and hawtin are dope though.

i'm hoping we'll get some late editions *crosses fingers*

Whats wrong with Felix, I saw him at MM and he tore the house down. Shadow is dope. I agree with Rabbit in the Moon too, they are probably one of the best live shows Ive seen.

orbit
01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for Aphex Twin and Squarepusher to be thrown in there somewhere as well!

Hell yeah! If Aphex Twin doesnt accept money, offer him some tons of militar material,, he'll be glad!

See Aphex, would be everything, absolutely everything.

summerkid
01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I think the sahara has quite the lineup this year. It could use maybe one more big add, but its pretty stacked maybe not at the top, but mstrkrft, soulwax, justice, vnv nation, faithless, infected mushroom, hawtin.

direwolf092386
01-22-2007, 03:21 PM
dancing is fun i agree... i love to dance, but i also like good music like ratm

sighlent
01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
dancing is fun i agree... i love to dance, but i also like good music like ratm

did you ever consider that possibly some people attending coachella on sunday might not consider the music RATM makes to be... good?

direwolf092386
01-22-2007, 03:25 PM
im sure that there are most likely millions of people who do not consider rage to be good music, but i also do not expect those people to be at coachella.... its rage against the machine---but i guess there not a big deal or anything!!!!!!!!!!

KenMixtape
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I feel like I'm one of the only 3 people that find RATM juvenile and annoying. thousands of priveleged white kids chanting "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" doesn't really do it for me.

S.O.S. Save Our Sahara

TheInfiniteSadness
01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
bring back kaskade!!!!!!!!!

PotVsKtl
01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
This same thread with the same artist names could have existed 5 years ago. Dance music sure is progressive.

microcuts
01-22-2007, 04:01 PM
hey Pot!

The headliners existed 8 years ago. How's that for progressive?

woogie846
01-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Aphex Twin and Fatboy Slim have my vote.

Dizzan
01-22-2007, 04:09 PM
How about The Prodigy? They are a great band that has not played in awhile. they have been recording some new tracks this past year and could get the Sahara dancing Friday Saturday or Sunday... PS I'd also like to see Future Funk Squad

PotVsKtl
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
hey Pot!

There are innumberable bands/artists who could seriously be considered for main stage headliners whereas these threads are always people arguing over the same old dozen or so acts.

txjaxx
01-22-2007, 04:15 PM
We really only need Basement Jaxx and Underworld.

KenMixtape
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I agree with Pot here. Except for Daft Punk, I don't understand why people seem to want a duplicate Sahara tent experience every year. Prodigy? Played twice already. Underworld? Better, but played twice. Chemical Brothers? They have played 4 times!!! (maybe 5?) Tiesto and PVD? Shameful.
It's time for something NEW.

JonnyM
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
prodigy played 2005.......

but anyways, i am very happy with this years line-up, there are atleast 20 bands im dying to see, but if youre gonna top notch everything else.....BRING IN SOME BIG NAME TECHNO ACT! im pretty sure theyre gonna add someone else though......daft punk was added 3 or 4 days after they announced the lineup..........

im holding out for aphex twin!

shotglass75
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Prodigy have been playing for the past two years pretty much since Coachella 2005. They just played San Fran on thanksgiving. Basement jaxx live set would be f*cking awesome again like in 2004. I just hope there isn't a major conflict on Sunday. I think RATM is great on CD, but everything live I have heard or seen hasn't impressed me (I never saw them perform in person just on DVD) but if Underworld is playing against them, it's a tough call just for the fact that the energy with be explosive at both stages.

ghettojournalist
01-22-2007, 04:21 PM
i was pulling for richie hawtin, so i am really happy and might get pulled to the sahara tent...again.

xbnmx
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I second bringing back Kaskade, I could go for bringing in Gabriel and Dresden again too.

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Would VNV headline Sahara?

microcuts
01-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Being that they're two thirds of the way down the lineup on the poster, no.

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
they got a raw deal...they are amazing.

goatparade
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm gonna call it....Royksopp!!!!!!

Bosco
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
I agree with Pot here. Except for Daft Punk, I don't understand why people seem to want a duplicate Sahara tent experience every year. Prodigy? Played twice already. Underworld? Better, but played twice. Chemical Brothers? They have played 4 times!!! (maybe 5?) Tiesto and PVD? Shameful.

well lets reunite Leftfield

Trailmix
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Happy Mondays could be doing the tent on Sunday they are dancy enough

dizfactor
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Those of us who like to dance care.

Sasha and Digweed would be excellent, but they were just in LA for NYE.

This sentiment makes me want to stab out my eyes with a pen.

Sasha and Digweed are tired, boring, and so far behind the curve it's ridiculous.

im sure that there are most likely millions of people who do not consider rage to be good music, but i also do not expect those people to be at coachella....

Really? I wouldn't expect there to be many "Coachella people" who are into RATM, though sadly I do expect Coachella will be overrun by "RATM people." Hopefully, I won't cross paths with them too much.

its rage against the machine---but i guess there not a big deal or anything!!!!!!!!!!

They're not. They're really not.

They were kind of a big deal when I was in high school and they were playing Lollapalooza back in 1993, but that was a long time ago and my musical taste was underdeveloped then, and the whole thing is now faintly embarrassing.

I feel like I'm one of the only 3 people that find RATM juvenile and annoying. thousands of priveleged white kids chanting "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" doesn't really do it for me.

I'm with you.

This same thread with the same artist names could have existed 5 years ago. Dance music sure is progressive.

The headliners suck, too.

Except for Bjork. Yes, she was around 8 years ago, but if you listen to the album she made then and the stuff she's making now you can tell that she's still developing and breaking new ground as an artist.

Except for Daft Punk, I don't understand why people seem to want a duplicate Sahara tent experience every year. Prodigy? Played twice already. Underworld? Better, but played twice. Chemical Brothers? They have played 4 times!!! (maybe 5?) Tiesto and PVD? Shameful.

I think part of the problem is that, while dance music isn't stuck in a rut per se, the people doing really cool new stuff are still playing to very small niche markets, especially in Southern California, whereas the boring stuff still has a huge following of people who go to all the big massives to see the same shortlist of 10 DJs on a rotating basis.

"Wow, this year Nocturnal Uber-Massive has PVD and Paul Oakenfold! Last year they had John Digweed and Armin Van Buren! And then, after that, Giant Electric Wonderland has Armin Van Buren and Tiesto, not like last year when they had John Digweed and PVD! All these massives just keep having these amazing fresh lineups year after year!"

Meanwhile, PVD, Tiesto, Sasha and Digweed, Oakenfold, and the others are all sitting on a yacht somewhere in the Mediterranean taking bets on how long they can keep the scam going before someone notices.

The really exciting people in electronic dance music have cult followings now, not big enough to headline the Sahara tent, and the bulk of the fanbase doesn't seem to want anything other than a steady diet of the same old same old.

Personally, I wish they would just stick someone more innovative in to headline the big tent and count on them to shake asses and win people over, but I can see why they don't feel they can take that chance.

suprefan
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Give me Aphex Twin please!!! It will help in really not having to see all of RHCP on Saturday if there is something awesome happening in the Sahara. I left halfway through Coldplays set to see Chamicals in 2005 so why not...

laineinla
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
no matter who it ends up being (ultimately)... day 1... oops, i mean saturday night... should always be closed out in the dance tent! there is just something 'bout it...

daftwerk
01-22-2007, 07:05 PM
How about The Prodigy? They are a great band that has not played in awhile. they have been recording some new tracks this past year and could get the Sahara dancing Friday Saturday or Sunday... PS I'd also like to see Future Funk Squad

The prodigy just headlined the rok out fest in san bernadino ca pretty recently, the turn out for them wasnt too large. A very poorly organized event indeed.

jaysocal
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
We really only need Basement Jaxx and Underworld.

PORTISHEAD SATUDAY
UNDERWORLD SUNDAY

That would blow my mind!! (with Bjork on Friday).

suprefan
01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Wanna know who crossed my mind today? Future Sounds of London. They pulled out in 2004 and never came back, so whats the deal on that? Just putting it out there...

jtovar21
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Faithless is a very capable headliner for the dance tent. They will put on a definite good show, hopefully they will be able to use their visuals which usually accompany their sets. But theyve been overdue for a Coachella appearance, of course, they are no Daft Punk.

Here's hoping Underworld still steps up to the plate.

MakeItSantoriTimes
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
how come nobody likes Tiesto? i saw him in Mexico like in November and he was amazing... sure he's about ready to die but he still puts on an amazing show... plus Paul Van Dyk is pretty world famous too...

suprefan
01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
how come nobody likes Tiesto? i saw him in Mexico like in November and he was amazing... sure he's about ready to die but he still puts on an amazing show... plus Paul Van Dyk is pretty world famous too...

Its going to be tough to live up to Daft Punk last year thats why....

R3d Snapper
01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I think µ-Ziq would be interesting

cbrl23
01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
I was expecting James Zabiela on the line up...never seen him live, but from what I've seen in videos he is doing great stuff...

and for headliner...underworld...or maybe Oakenfold can be there to press "play" on the Underworld CD like last year.

jaysocal
01-22-2007, 08:07 PM
I was expecting James Zabiela on the line up...never seen him live, but from what I've seen in videos he is doing great stuff...

and for headliner...underworld...or maybe Oakenfold can be there to press "play" on the Underworld CD like last year.

I don't think Underworld has ever done a set that's not live...guitars and all. They are too good to be like Paul Jokenfold (doesn't he just live at the empire polo fields or something??)

tuffy
01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
THE KNIFE THE KNIFE THE KNIFE THE KNIFE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

devachan
01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Sunday is really weak. That should be where they add Underworld.

tricky
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Portishead and/or underworld please.
oh and you can put them up against the peppers on saturday.

thank you.

cbrl23
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Portishead (not a Sahara tent kind of band, but they should be added)
Underworld (never seen them live, really hope they get added)

New_Paradigm
01-23-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm not saying Steve Lawler is a headliner, but I'm pretty surprised he isn't playing. He's had a huge year. Also I think the Stanton Warriors are overdue for a Coachella slot. They would definitely get some asses shaking. I still think Underworld will get announced. The same kind of buzz was happening last year about Daft Punk when they didn't appear on the initial lineup and then it happened. I'd love Portishead but I just don't see it happening...

depechemodekraftwerk
01-23-2007, 02:57 AM
FACE IT BE HONEST THIS LINEUP SUCKS

JelloPuddingChat
01-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Radiohead is bigger than depechemode.

RandyinPhila
01-23-2007, 05:21 AM
now that im thinking about it, maybe willie nelson will do a DJ set

Ok now this would be something to see!! DJ Willie breaking it down!

MrAmeche
01-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think there was ever a poster last year that didn't list Daft Punk and Massive Attack. I believe they were announced a day or two after PF posted the initial lineup on the board, and only then did the poster go up (again I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it). If so, it makes me wonder if they're really waiting to announce any major Sahara acts or if the top of the lineup is basically set, with a few smaller adds, a late surprise or two (ie Madonna and Kanye last year) and the inevitable dropout(s) all that's going to change from here ...

hotnikkels
01-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Underworld was alright when I saw them a few years ago, nothing to rave about. They should bring in Eddie Halliwell or Steve Lawler, for sure.

lethaldesign
01-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Tiesto is cool because he doesn't play the US very often. PvD, on the otherhand, plays at least 6 times a year in LA alone. So who cares...

I would love to see Cicada! Or Mylo... or some live P.A. from Pendulum, Freestylers, or Stanton Warriors! I guess none of them would be considered BIG "headliners" but would make for some great electronica in the Sahara tent.

I'm also very surprised to not see Basement Jaxx on the lineup since they recently came out with a new album. Their 2004 performance was one of the best I've ever seen!

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 08:23 AM
massive attack and daft punk are on my poster from last year. madonna's not on there, i know that much. but that's the printed poster. we're just getting the lineup, and i know massive attack was a late edition last year, i believe daft punk was too.

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/albums/coachella-2006/001_whats_to_come.sized.jpg

and a live pendulum set with ALL OF THEM would be cool. i'm sick of people putting pendulum on flyers when it's not all of them.

also, just because PVD is "pretty world famous", doesn't make him worth watching, and most certainly doesn't put him in the same headliner category as kraftwerk, the prodigy, the chemical bros. or daft punk. not even close.

i'm still sad i missed that bassment jaxx performance, i heard where's your head at was insane :( :( :( but alas, i believe i was in the giant sea of people waiting for the cure.

and i'll be seeing the stanton warriors in scottsdale on the 9th :thu

chronnyunitas
01-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Amen on the Stanton Warriors. Was really hoping that a quality breaks act would be there - either them or the Plump DJ's. Just seemed to fit.

Also, Booka Shade or Trentemoller. I know they're not huge names in terms of crossover appeal, but Trentemoller especially would have destroyed the place.

It's really riding on Justice, MSTRKRFT, Soulwax, and Hawtin for me. Looks like Evil Nine is going to get the noontime Joey Beltram/Hybrid spot, which pretty much takes them out of the equation, sadly.

They could have gotten THREE quality acts for the price of one PVD or Tiesto.

Blah.

New_Paradigm
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
That'd be dope as hell if Evil Nine brought out Aesop Rock for 'Crooked'

bartelby
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
what's the scoop with Tiesto?....i don't keep up with electronica that much but it seems that half the people i know LOVE him and half can't stand him

Yookeroo
01-23-2007, 10:10 AM
im sure that there are most likely millions of people who do not consider rage to be good music, but i also do not expect those people to be at coachella.... its rage against the machine---but i guess there not a big deal or anything!!!!!!!!!!

Not for me. I don't give a damn about them. Different strokes etc. Not sure why they were brought up in a Sahara tent thread. That seems pretty lame.

what's the scoop with Tiesto?....i don't keep up with electronica that much but it seems that half the people i know LOVE him and half can't stand him

When you're #1 three years in a row, you get a lot of backlash (starting to see this with PvD now too). Plus a lot of people don't like trance. Again, different strokes etc.

xbnmx
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Tiesto is cool because he doesn't play the US very often. PvD, on the otherhand, plays at least 6 times a year in LA alone. So who cares...

I would love to see Cicada! Or Mylo... or some live P.A. from Pendulum, Freestylers, or Stanton Warriors! I guess none of them would be considered BIG "headliners" but would make for some great electronica in the Sahara tent.

I'm also very surprised to not see Basement Jaxx on the lineup since they recently came out with a new album. Their 2004 performance was one of the best I've ever seen!

What are yout alking about, Tiesto plays Souther California constantly.

shotglass75
01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I want Underworld but here is a whole other line up from Creamfields this past year of DJ's

CREAMFIELDS 2006 Line-up

Main Stage

The Prodigy

Goldfrapp

The Zutons

Gnarls Barkley

Cream & Goodgreef Arena

Paul Van Dyk

Paul Oakenfold

Tiesto

Ferry Corsten

Armin Van Buuren

Eddie Halliwell

Marco V

Adam Sheriden

Gareth Wyn

Subliminal Sessions Arena

Erick Morillo

David Guetta

Harry 'Choo Choo' Romero

Steve Angello

Sebastian Ingrosso

Jose Nunez

Axwell

Jorge Jaramillo

Chibuku Arena

2 Many DJs

Green Velvet

Tiga

Plump DJs

Annie Mac

Switch

Touché

Circus & Cream Audio Deluxe Arena

Roger Sanchez

Timo Maas

X-Press 2

Mylo

Layo & Bushwaka!

Yousef

Hernan Cattaneo

Lewis Boardman

Beatdown
Presented by Scratch Perverts

DJ Shadow

Andy C

Planet Pendulum

DJ Marky

DJ Hype

Friction

Future Bound

Foreign Beggars

Tidy Arena

BK

Tidy Boys

Mark EG

Andy Farley

Rob Tissera

Lisa Pin-Up

Lee Haslam

Paul Glazby

Amber D

Kutski

Paul Maddox

JP & Jukesey

Strongbow Ciderhouse

Coldcut

Digitalism

Spektrum

Erol Alkan

20:20 Soundsystem

M.A.N.D.Y

Kris Bones

Justice

Simian Mobile Disco

Hospitality Arena
Hacienda & Cream Classics present...

Peter Hook (DJ)

Graeme Park

Arthur Baker

Jon Da Silva

Dave Haslam

K-Klass

Andy Mac

xbnmx
01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Bringing Mylo back to DJ would be sweet.

MINDFIELD
01-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the Chemical Brothers? They are headliner material, and due to make another appearance.

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
dude, they were here in 2005.

MINDFIELD
01-23-2007, 10:45 AM
How sweet it was.

chronnyunitas
01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Not for me. I don't give a damn about them. Different strokes etc. Not sure why they were brought up in a Sahara tent thread. That seems pretty lame.

When you're #1 three years in a row, you get a lot of backlash (starting to see this with PvD now too). Plus a lot of people don't like trance. Again, different strokes etc.

I don't think it's nearly that black and white.

"#1" is a purely subjective ranking based on essentially a DJ Mag reader survey. So that's pretty much anyone who got dragged to a club where Tiesto was playing, rolled for the first time, and then saw his campaigning for votes for the DJ Mag poll on his MySpace page.

People hate on him and Oakenfold because they get all the best tunes delivered right to their doorstep, they charge astronomical fees based on name recognition, and frankly, they just can't mix as well as some truly talented DJ's out there. Plus their sets are generally predictable in terms of track selection. They are the equivalent of the Top 40 hip-hop DJ whereas the people who hate them want to see the equivalent of a ?uestlove or Jazzy Jeff spinning - someone with true talent and an appreciation for all different types of sub genres within their own genre.

lust-e
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Im sorry, tiesto and PVD do not equal sahara headliners! where are fatboy slim and aphex twin?????? Glad i will see Justice (finally) and Dj shadow, but please, i seriously hope these arent the final sahara headliners!

Are you nuts? Paul Van Dyk can headline any festival in the world! He sells out stadiums and back to back dates in Central Park.

lust-e
01-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Sunday is really weak. That should be where they add Underworld.

If they do, i'm coming.

lethaldesign
01-23-2007, 01:42 PM

In the last year, he has. Prior to that, no he didn't. Maybe once or twice a year. He makes more money doing "Tiesto in Concert" live shows with 70k people there JUST for him outside of the States.

Yookeroo
01-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I want Underworld but here is a whole other line up from Creamfields this past year of DJ's

CREAMFIELDS 2006 Line-up

Now this is a party.

I don't think it's nearly that black and white.

"#1" is a purely subjective ranking based on essentially a DJ Mag reader survey.

Well, yeah. Still causes resentment and backlash. This always happens when a band/DJ/artist hit big.

So that's pretty much anyone who got dragged to a club where Tiesto was playing, rolled for the first time, and then saw his campaigning for votes for the DJ Mag poll on his MySpace page.

*shrug* Plenty of DJs ask for votes. I don't blame them. The higher you rank, the more money you make. That's pretty good incentive. And those that are producers as well would probably love to have their creations heard by as many as possible, ranking high in the poll helps this. I can never bash any artist for wanting success.

People hate on him and Oakenfold because they get all the best tunes delivered right to their doorstep, they charge astronomical fees based on name recognition,

Sounds like jealousy and resentment. When you draw lots of people to your gigs, you get to charge more. This true in all walks of life.

and frankly, they just can't mix as well as some truly talented DJ's out there. Plus their sets are generally predictable in terms of track selection.

I wonder if this is more of the result of being so exposed.

They are the equivalent of the Top 40 hip-hop DJ whereas the people who hate them want to see the equivalent of a ?uestlove or Jazzy Jeff spinning - someone with true talent and an appreciation for all different types of sub genres within their own genre.

I'm sure there are some who do feel this way. But there's also a big backlash factor. Read some of the PvD comments on this board. You never heard nearly that amount negativity before he hit #1. If the Jazzy Jeff equivalent hit #1, they'd face backlash. It's human nature. There's always a reaction by some against things that get poplular.

In the last year, he has. Prior to that, no he didn't. Maybe once or twice a year. He makes more money doing "Tiesto in Concert" live shows with 70k people there JUST for him outside of the States.

A couple times a year is really quite a bit. And with his new album coming out, I bet we see more of him this year.

I like Tiësto and PvD, but the complaint that they're overexposed here does have some merit. So Cal is great in that we get a steady stream of some great DJ/electronica talent, sometimes hitting L.A., OC & SD is a weekend. It takes a Daft Punk or Kraftwerk to get us really excited. It's easy to get jaded. Maybe I should be more forgiving of this year's Sahara lineup.

TheCutestBoyAlive
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
VNV nation could headline the sahara!

TheCutestBoyAlive
01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
THE KNIFE THE KNIFE THE KNIFE THE KNIFE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

YESSSSS!!

instinct
01-24-2007, 12:45 AM
PVD - Sucks.. He plays so. cal all the time.. never impresses me

Tiesto - Better.. He doesn't really play So. Cal as much.. but he is just a trance dj.. can do better

Faithless - So excited.. Never seen them.. I definitely think they qualify as a headliner.

Underworld - Never seen them, they don't come around often, would be a great headline.

Basement Jaxx - I love them to death, but I saw them at 04, and at the bowl, and Detour

Chemical Brothers - Saw them at Coachella 05.. They were awesome.. Would LIKE to see them again.. they are one of my favorite electronica acts, but I'm sure they will be back.

Fatboy Slim - Never seen him, would really love to see him added.. He doesn't play So. Cal often either

Prodigy - Would be cool to see again.. Although they just played at Rokout

Portishead - FUCK YEA! Don't know if would be in Sahara Tent though..

Rabbit in the Moon - Would be a nice addition to Coacella.. they definitely feel like a Coachella band.. but not headline material (they play so cal ALL the time)

Royksopp - Hell yea, I would kind of like to see them on mainstage or outdoor stage though.. I saw them with Basement Jaxx at Hollywood bowl in 04.. they are so good.

The Knife - I am getting into them.. I would really love to see them added.. along with Royksopp to do a live performance of "What else is there?"

The Orb - Woud be fun!

instinct
01-24-2007, 12:49 AM

Really?

I don't think so.. and if he does.. it's most likely a 21+ event.. I know he played around 4th of July last year at Avalon.. and in 05 at the Sports Arena... but it doesn't seem like he comes around that often.. and if he does.. it's like $3044385 for a ticket..

straya87
01-24-2007, 05:07 AM
PENDULUM LIVE!!!!!!!! or maybe andy c.... dieselboy has a new album out?!?!?! please.....

Yookeroo
01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Really?

I don't think so.. and if he does.. it's most likely a 21+ event..

I think the last couple of times he played L.A., he's had one day that was 18+.

I know he played around 4th of July last year at Avalon.. and in 05 at the Sports Arena... but it doesn't seem like he comes around that often.. and if he does.. it's like $3044385 for a ticket..

He was here in May. 2X in LA, once in SD & once in Rosarito. He played Tijuana within the last month or two. He's also played Vegas a couple of times in the last year, and did NYE there last year.

fober
01-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Where is The Sahara Headliner????

Uhhh... in the Sahara Tent?

MsTekno
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Underworld!!!!!!!, or Rabbit in the Moon (amazing live show!), The Orb?, Chemical Brothers (live, please!) - there's got to be an addition, doesn't there?

Californicator
01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
The only way I'm going into the Sahara tent is to score some drugs, or if LTJ Bukem and MC Conrad are playing, or maybe Pendulum.

mrsmaker
01-25-2007, 08:04 AM

S.O.S. Save Our Sahara

hahaha that made me laugh... I guess I am the 4th person...

daftwerk
01-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Seriously GV has already had the majority of the epic electronic acts that can properly rock out out the Sahara [daft punk, kraftwerk, underworld]. They need to bring in APHEX TWIN or should consider Rabbit In The Moon.. if you've ever seen their live show you know what i'm talking about!!

I have seen Rabbit In The Moon, and yes there show is entertaining but i find it appalling that you would consider them anywhere near the same caliber of performance as kraftwerk, daft punk or underworld. They have an interesting visual component of their show yes. But their music is NOTHING SPECIAL.

MsTekno
01-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I have seen Rabbit In The Moon, and yes there show is entertaining but i find it appalling that you would consider them anywhere near the same caliber of performance as kraftwerk, daft punk or underworld. They have an interesting visual component of their show yes. But their music is NOTHING SPECIAL.

Maybe, but there is a better chance of getting RITM than the other mentioned acts....

chronnyunitas
01-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Is it just me or is there no HOUSE MUSIC this year? After having Derrick Carter and Kaskade last year, they went completely off the deep end on trance and the new dirty disco/electro sound that's hot right now.

Hawtin is really the only legit, respected, big, international DJ in the lineup that pretty much everyone can agree on. If they were trying to cater to the SoCal tendencies, there should at least be some house music in there. They could have at least called up Doc, David Alvarado, or Marques Wyatt. Even Migs and Farina are in Cali...they are no brainers, draw as much in Cali as a trance DJ would, and make for a much better time for the people who don't want to pop pills all day.

lethaldesign
01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Is it just me or is there no HOUSE MUSIC this year? After having Derrick Carter and Kaskade last year, they went completely off the deep end on trance and the new dirty disco/electro sound that's hot right now.

Hawtin is really the only legit, respected, big, international DJ in the lineup that pretty much everyone can agree on. If they were trying to cater to the SoCal tendencies, there should at least be some house music in there. They could have at least called up Doc, David Alvarado, or Marques Wyatt. Even Migs and Farina are in Cali...they are no brainers, draw as much in Cali as a trance DJ would, and make for a much better time for the people who don't want to pop pills all day.

DJ Heather on Day 2 for some bumpin house music to step to...

MsTekno
01-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Agreed! (especially about Hawtin)- now I'm not a big househead - but it would be a nice change of pace from all the trance (that you find in LA most every weekend anyway)- There's plenty of smaller name LA based house and breakbeat DJs they could've gotten that are very good. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and the sets will be good - if it keeps me dancing I'll be happy- but if all sounds the same I'll just notice how much my feet hurt after 2 or 3 days.

Felicetti
01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Trance fucking blows

TheInfiniteSadness
01-25-2007, 12:59 PM

i couldn't have said it better myself. but in my mind, it was kind of a self fulfilling prophecy because how can you possibly top kaskade? i mean...come on!

TheInfiniteSadness
01-25-2007, 01:04 PM
(PS, DJ Heather is on Om and she's pretty housey--so I'm greatful for at least that.)

chronnyunitas
01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
DJ Heather is a small bone to throw, especially because she'll probably be playing at 1 PM.

I only went Saturday last year so I missed Kaskade (seen him before and he's awesome, though). Derrick Carter TORE the place down on Sunday, definitely the best set I've heard him spin (minus one gigantic train wreck, but I think one of the stagehands bumped the turntable...I'd forgive him anyways). And then Carl Cox took it to another level, which I'm hoping Hawtin will do.

Oh well, I'm really not complaining. I honestly thought Daft Punk was going to be a washed up greatest hits set that could be replicated on a few CDJ's...good god was I wrong. I'm really hoping Soulwax is the pleasant surprise of Sunday. Lots of people seem to be saying Air was amazing at Sunset in 2004. Not really a fan of their CD's, but I could see that.

And - as much as I've outgrown the trance scene since my college days, I think PVD probably has some legit DJing skills. Hopefully he sounds more like Sven Vath than Tiesto.

Yookeroo
01-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Underworld!!!!!!!, or Rabbit in the Moon (amazing live show!), The Orb?, Chemical Brothers (live, please!) - there's got to be an addition, doesn't there?

They need to bring The Orb back. They owe them after pulling the plug on them.

cheeeeebo
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
DJ Heather is a small bone to throw, especially because she'll probably be playing at 1 PM.

I only went Saturday last year so I missed Kaskade (seen him before and he's awesome, though). Derrick Carter TORE the place down on Sunday, definitely the best set I've heard him spin (minus one gigantic train wreck, but I think one of the stagehands bumped the turntable...I'd forgive him anyways). And then Carl Cox took it to another level, which I'm hoping Hawtin will do.

Oh well, I'm really not complaining. I honestly thought Daft Punk was going to be a washed up greatest hits set that could be replicated on a few CDJ's...good god was I wrong. I'm really hoping Soulwax is the pleasant surprise of Sunday. Lots of people seem to be saying Air was amazing at Sunset in 2004. Not really a fan of their CD's, but I could see that.

And - as much as I've outgrown the trance scene since my college days, I think PVD probably has some legit DJing skills. Hopefully he sounds more like Sven Vath than Tiesto.

Soulwax (Nite Versions) are incredible live. Next to Daft Punk, my second favorite live performance from 2006.

You do not want to miss their set!! Trust me. You'll regret it.

Bosco
01-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Soulwax (Nite Versions) are incredible live. Next to Daft Punk, my second favorite live performance from 2006.

You do not want to miss their set!! Trust me. You'll regret it.

see ya there!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/bosco40986/ravesmiley.gif

daft$tar
01-25-2007, 11:28 PM
how about steve angello/eric prydz/sebastian ingrosso? not headliners but havent been around - id even like to see les rythmes digitales - supposedly he has a new album coming out

we really do need underworld and/or basement jaxx and/or cassius -

cassius has never played have they?

ghettojournalist
01-26-2007, 07:50 AM
i would like to see the orb.
i've heard nothing but good things.

lethaldesign
01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
how about steve angello/eric prydz/sebastian ingrosso? not headliners but havent been around - id even like to see les rythmes digitales - supposedly he has a new album coming out

we really do need underworld and/or basement jaxx and/or cassius -

cassius has never played have they?

i'd have to agree with all of those !! although for some reason, i just can't see them pulling any of those subliminal djs {shrugs} would be nice though...

&cassius !!! :pulse that would be awesome!

cheeeeebo
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I looked into Cassius last week, since they're actually doing a European tour in February and I think early March as well, but if you look at their calendar on Myspace, they have an April 27th scheduled show in Paris I believe. Cassius would've been a good one.

beavington
01-26-2007, 08:01 PM
They were kind of a big deal when I was in high school and they were playing Lollapalooza back in 1993, but that was a long time ago and my musical taste was underdeveloped then, and the whole thing is now faintly embarrassing.

underdeveloped? That was a lame sentence. oh how youve grown!

i hate rage against the machine but they are a big deal to the bros of the world.
the fact that you ever liked rage is a testament to how lame that sentence was.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
How about UNKLE, Orbital or Moby as headliners?

peas and carrots
01-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh......

Meat Beat Manifesto would kill em all and be a great Coachella addition.

The Thrill Kill Kult woud also be nice, but i dunno if they are a sahara type of band.

hiphophd
01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
No house at all this year, other than DJ Heather. Last year there were some crowd pleasers with Louie Vega, Derrick Carter (fantastic set), Colette, Kaskade and some good ole Daft Punk. There is still a lot of electronic music so I'll be visiting the tent. Felix was great in 03' as well as Hawtin. Should be fun all weekend in the loudest tent known to man.

superfiction
01-26-2007, 10:48 PM
i think theres a lot of good stuff in the tent, but i was really hoping for fatboy or something, i mean after daft punk last year it seems like they didnt even try

p.s. unkle would be sick. but only if it were lavelle and shadow

tricky
01-26-2007, 11:34 PM
They'll be another big dance name added, i have faith.
Although I'm not bitching about ticket prices there was way too much of a increase this year not to have a couple bigger names added in a week or 2.

chill
01-26-2007, 11:57 PM
timberlake is going to head the sahara

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Maybe AIR will be Sundays Sahara Headliner? I think the dance tent headliners concept is pretty new starting back with 04' Kraftwerks performance...

fatbastard
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Timo Maas would be a good add in.

KenMixtape
02-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh......

Meat Beat Manifesto would kill em all and be a great Coachella addition.

Seconded.

daft$tar
02-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Timo Maas would be a good add in.

agreed...

daft$tar
02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
omg imagine this...

Subliminal Sessions Arena

Erick Morillo

David Guetta

Harry 'Choo Choo' Romero

Steve Angello

Sebastian Ingrosso

Jose Nunez

Axwell

Jorge Jaramillo

Chibuku Arena

2 Many DJs

Green Velvet

Tiga

Plump DJs

Annie Mac

Switch

Touché

Circus & Cream Audio Deluxe Arena

Roger Sanchez

Timo Maas

X-Press 2

Mylo

Layo & Bushwaka!

Yousef

Hernan Cattaneo

Lewis Boardman

cityzun
02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Darude anyone? Cuz you know when he pulls out Sandstorm and starts playing EVERY F@#$ING SANDSTORM MIX EVER MADE, the little kiddies and drunk beeshies are just going to nod their heads and say, "Sandstorm? I love this song!"

Sorry, just had to bring up a name long forgotten. Probably for the best too.

daft$tar
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I looked into Cassius last week, since they're actually doing a European tour in February and I think early March as well, but if you look at their calendar on Myspace, they have an April 27th scheduled show in Paris I believe. Cassius would've been a good one.

aaaahhh - damn! they would have been great

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Okay, here's one from leftfield (not Leftfield - that'd be asking for toooo much!), that I'd love to see in the Sahara tent.

They have a new album due in 2007, so who knows? Maybe, just maybe....

Yello

Bosco
02-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Okay, here's one from leftfield (not Leftfield - that'd be asking for toooo much!), that I'd love to see in the Sahara tent.

I would pee my pants for Portishead, but I would poo my pants for Leftfield. I know Coachella makes dreams come possible, but I think Glastonbury would be the first festival to reunite Leftfield (if it ever happens).