PDA

View Full Version : HELP: My brother vomitted on my roommate's laptop

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't know who else to turn to. Can anyone help me with this?

My brother, fresh out of college, was visiting me this past weekend. He drank like 21 drinks, passed out on the couch, rolled off of it, and grabbed the item closest to him, which happened to be my roommates laptop. Then he vomitted on the keyboard.

We immidiatly cleaned under the keys as best we could with cue tips and damp tissue. We turned it over and tried to let it drip out. Not sure how well it worked, the keyboard still really stinks. In the morning it wouldn't power on. Is there any chance that buying a replacement keyboard would fix this? The power button is on the keyboard.

We took it apart and no vomit seems to be on or near the mother board. Please help, I usually ask you guys for so little.

hawkingvsreeve
03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha.

Oh man. This is great.

But no, you're fucked.

chairmenmeow47
03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
www.bestbuy.com/laptops

BlackSwan
03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
So. Fucked.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Are these professional opinoins? Or common sense?

hawkingvsreeve
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
In all seriousness I would remove the hard drive and then start shopping. Being that you took it apart you voided any sort of warranty it may have had which likely doesn't cover vomit so there isn't a chance of getting anything replaced at no cost. Tell him to start saving.

hawkingvsreeve
03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
I mean even if a tiny bit of vomit got down to the electronics inside the computer or on the motherboard or anything you are screwed. Vomit much like soda is extremely acidic and because of that destroys electronics. If we were talking about a glass of water that was spilled that would be one thing, but I don't see you being able to get this fixed.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Son of a bitch. That's what I was concerned about, the stomach acid eating through everything. This really pumps my nads.

york707
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Let it dry out completely. But you are probably fucked. This is especially true because it sound like this vomit was liquid-centric and not food-centric.

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Wait... why did he decide the Laptop was a good barfbag?

york707
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
because he was drunk?

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Also... did you attempt to turn it on before the vomit had been completely cleaned off?

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
because he was drunk?

I've never seen someone that drunk.

hawkingvsreeve
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
If I was the roommate I would just point blank tell him that he was buying me a new laptop. I mean come on guys, he fucking puked on this dudes computer. "Oh sorry your computer reeks now. It still turns on though!" No. No way.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I heard it happen and ran into the living room, where he was hunched on all fours over it. I immidiatly wiped as much off as I could and started trying to dry it. About half way through cleaning it, it turned on and said the battery was low, which it was before the incident. Then I turned it off again. In the morning it wouldn't turn on.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
If I was the roommate I would just point blank tell him that he was buying me a new laptop. I mean come on guys, he fucking puked on this dudes computer. "Oh sorry your computer reeks now. It still turns on though!" No. No way.

The computer has an easily replaced keyboard, and my roommate has been really cool about it. He says if it will power on, he's totally cool with my brother just buying a new keyboard, which i've found online for like $30.

I don't want to go into graphic detail, but it wasn't like a full stomach vomit, closer to like a half soda can filled with old high life and some noodles.

BlackSwan
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Was it a Mac or some shitty PC?

hawkingvsreeve
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Hahaha.

Your roommate seems like a pretty cool guy then. I would be fucking pissed.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
turning it on while there was still liquid in it was a very bad idea.

zimmy1222
I don't think that by taking it apart he necessarily voided the warranty. Particularly if he knows someone who can ensure that it's put back together right, though.

Aren't the screws of a laptop marked/painted so that if you unscrew it, it strips off the paint?

i took apart my laptop to pull out the hard drive and noticed that, I figured that's what it was for...

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
It was a Dell Latitude d620, which to complicate things even further actually belongs to the media company that my roommate and I work for, otherwise I'd just say he has to buy a new one.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Was it a Mac or some shitty PC?

I don't think a Mac was going to fair any better under this circumstance.

In general i probably get more glitches and weird unexplainable shit from the Macs i work with than the PCs i use

ZackQ
Hahaha.

Your roommate seems like a pretty cool guy then. I would be fucking pissed.

Yes incredibly cool. We pitched in and bought him a rice cooker/vegetable steamer the next day as an apologetic gesture.

BlackSwan
Does the company have a lot of money? If he makes up a good story, he might just end up with a new computer.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Does the company have a lot of money? If he makes up a good story, he might just end up with a new computer.

No, we work in print media.

Still-ill
We pitched in and bought him a rice cooker/vegetable steamer the next day as an apologetic gesture.

Wow... this would not satisfy me.

BlackSwan
I don't think a Mac was going to fair any better under this circumstance.

In general i probably get more glitches and weird unexplainable shit from the Macs i work with than the PCs i use

Oh, I was just curious. It was more a question of worth/cost than how well it was going to fair. Buying someone a new Macbook Pro is a lot more costly that replacing someone's 5 year old ThinkPad.

marooko
Pics or bullshit.

Let it dry out, don't turn it on again. May be too late because you did, though.

hawkingvsreeve
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I would have unpacked it, turned it on, puked on it, and then said no thanks.

ZackQ
Wow... this would not satisfy me.

And also pledged to fix and/or pay for the computer. There was a few hours there where we debated not telling him what happened. He didn't see it, and it would have been a tough conclusion for him to come to.

Still-ill
Pics or bullshit.

Please don't.

Neighborhood Creep
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/clap.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/clap.gif)

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I could post pics, they aren't gross. It was easy to clean the chunks and everything. The smell is a different story.

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
And also pledged to fix and/or pay for the computer. There was a few hours there where we debated not telling him what happened. He didn't see it, and it would have been a tough conclusion for him to come to.

This would have satisfied me. Yeah, It's always better to tell the truth.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Post the smell.

marooko
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Wait... why did he decide the Laptop was a good barfbag?

This is why I call bullshit.

I have vomited due to alcohol several times. Never have I grabbed something to vomit on. I've reached for a bag, a bucket, a hoody in the worst case, but never a random object. I don't see someone having the sense to grab something to throw up in, but not realize it's a laptop. This sounds fishy.

marooko
03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Show some signs this actually happened. I don't believe it at all.

I believe he could have leaned over and vomited on it, but not that he grabbed it and vomited on it.

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
This sounds fishy.

This smells fishy.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Thta's right, your personal experiance is directly tied to other people's personal experiennces

ZackQ
Show some signs this actually happened. I don't believe it at all.

I believe he could have leaned over and vomited on it, but not that he grabbed it and vomited on it.

Pics coming as soon as I get home from work.

miscorrections
If you're blackout you could easily grab any ol' thing and puke on it.

chairmenmeow47
I've never seen someone that drunk.

have you never had any fun in your life? :p

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Dude, just clean the fuck out of it with rubbing alcohol until it doesn't smell anymore and then go in there and apologize profusely and say that you accidentally spilled some soda or whatever in it. Your company will get it fixed and get him a replacement. Offer to pay whatever it costs them to do so in exchange for not getting fired. Most likely they'll refuse your offer.

This is easily the most useful piece of advice.

marooko
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Thta's right, your personal experiance is directly tied to other people's personal experiennces

You spelled a slightly different variation of the same word completely different. Shut the fuck up.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
You spelled a slightly different variation of the same word completely different. Shut the fuck up.

Regardless of my typos, i am failing to understand how you're not able to believe something simply based on the fact that it is something that you wouldn't do yourself.

Are you telling me that every thing that every person does is the same?

Different people have different instincts, especially in this individual case case where said person supposedly woke up out of a complete blackout.

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 02:44 PM

The strangest drunken action I've ever had done to me directly, was back in high school. I woke up and noticed one of my mom's massive candles was filled with pee.

chairmenmeow47
03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
The strangest drunken action I've ever had done to me directly, was back in high school. I woke up and noticed one of my mom's massive candles was filled with pee.

ok, you sound fun then. carry on. :p

marooko
03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Regardless of my typos, i am failing to understand how you're not able to believe something simply based on the fact that it is something that you wouldn't do yourself.

Are you telling me that every thing that every person does is the same?

YES! That is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Genius.

No, I have never done this. This does not equate to: No one in the entire world could ever do this.

What I am saying is that I don't believe it. Not because I haven't done it myself, or known someone to do it. But because it doesn't make sense to me. That's not to say it didn't happen either. I am only saying -- not suggesting -- saying, that I, marooko, do not believe this story.

And how the hell do you come to the conclusion that I'm suggesting that everyone in the world is exactly the same?

ELECtROjan
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
This is why I call bullshit.

I have vomited due to alcohol several times. Never have I grabbed something to vomit on. I've reached for a bag, a bucket, a hoody in the worst case, but never a random object. I don't see someone having the sense to grab something to throw up in, but not realize it's a laptop. This sounds fishy.

i had a friend in college who got sick in his elevated bed and tried to puke into a trash can he'd set up below... he missed and instead ruined his brand new $3000 macbook pro. It happens

marooko
03-23-2010, 02:59 PM
But he was aware enough to aim for the trash can he set up, he just missed. He didn't grab the macbook pro and vomit on it.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 03:00 PM
...because drunken vomiting is SO MUCH FUN.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM
But he was aware enough to aim for the trash can he set up, he just missed. He didn't grab the macbook pro and vomit on it.

We have big speakers in the living room near the couch. The laptop was on the ground plugged into the speakers within arms reach. It was dark, my brother was black out drunk. And this is why I can't have nice things.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM
YES! That is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Genius.

No, I have never done this. This does not equate to: No one in the entire world could ever do this.

What I am saying is that I don't believe it. Not because I haven't done it myself, or known someone to do it. But because it doesn't make sense to me. That's not to say it didn't happen either. I am only saying -- not suggesting -- saying, that I, marooko, do not believe this story.

And how the hell do you come to the conclusion that I'm suggesting that everyone in the world is exactly the same?

Only because you basically said, "I'm calling bullshit because i have vomited before and never grabbed an item to vomit on."

I would have hoped that my "conclusion" was obviously facetious and that i was simply defending myself against you telling me to "shut the fuck up" as if my typos somehow rendered any point that I had invalid.

i'm just trying to have a conversation here, i don't want to fight you.

YEESH.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM

but everything that led to getting to that state was probably a fucking blast.

zimmy1222
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I've never heard of that being the purpose whatsoever, nor have I ever caught static from an RMA department at a laptop manufacturer for having taken apart the laptop I was sending in for repairs. And I've done it multiple hundreds of time. I know what you're talking about though--my impression was always that it's an aesthetic thing. The screws aren't the same colors as the laptops so they paint them over to make it look good.

ah, i was actually talking about on the threading, not the head, the threading of the screws on my computer were blue, the head was painted black... but i have no idea so I'll take your word on it.

zimmy1222
03-23-2010, 03:08 PM
i could give you a picture, but it's not a big deal. the computer was fucked anyways.

chairmenmeow47
03-23-2010, 03:09 PM

so if it's fun that results in hallucinogenic vomitting it's ok? :p

bballarl
03-23-2010, 03:09 PM
This thread made my day. Thanks.

Mr. Dylanja
03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Tolerance levels are supposed to be at an all time high fresh out of college, your brother is a pussy.

Mr. Dylanja
03-23-2010, 03:12 PM

I'd hold your hair, amyzzz.

marooko
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Only because you basically said, "I'm calling bullshit because i have vomited before and never grabbed an item to vomit on."

I would have hoped that my "conclusion" was obviously facetious and that i was simply defending myself against you telling me to "shut the fuck up" as if my typos somehow rendered any point that I had invalid.

i'm just trying to have a conversation here, i don't want to fight you.

YEESH.

I was being silly with the STFU. I know the typos don't necessarily mean anything. As do you. Which, in essence, may also be considered facetious.

I don't want to fight either, and now I feel bad. <--truth. Thanks, dick. <--Joke.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Tolerance levels are supposed to be at an all time high fresh out of college, your brother is a pussy.

Ha, yes. 21 drinks. He was still kind of awake after it happened and I was, justifiably, angry. And he sarcastically says "Ok Zack, well I guess this is just all my fault."

Uh, yes you jackass, it is.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
You're welcome you piece of shit.

donkey sex
better hope they purchased ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) from the manufacturer

Inspecting Technician: "Man, this laptop stinks"

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
Drats.

boarderwoozel3
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Though I've never had the pleasure, hallucinogenic vomiting sounds worse if only because you've got less substance to expel, i.e. dry heaving. Can anyone comment on this?

marooko
03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Not fun. But damn!! The drugs usually kick in something fierce afterwords.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Vomiting is never OK.

boarderwoozel3
03-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm also thinking that puking while tripping would be especially unsettling.

marooko
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
It's kinda always grounded me. Let me know this shit is for real.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I had an entire thought loop based on being nauseated, and it was just awful. Any vomiting pretty much ruins any good time I've had up until then. Thanks for reminding me why I don't drink. People were tempting me, but meh.

El.C.Dub
03-23-2010, 03:22 PM
lol. this EXACT same thing happened to me, except I was the idiot that vomited on the laptop and it was a brand new macbook pro. There is unfortunately nothing you can do being that stomach acid is extremely corrosive and virtually fries most of your computer's hardware upon contact. Do what I did: sell the laptop "as is" on ebay and put that money towards a new one.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 03:25 PM
lol. this EXACT same thing happened to me, except I was the idiot that vomited on the laptop and it was a brand new macbook pro. There is unfortunately nothing you can do being that stomach acid is extremely corrosive and virtually fries most of your computer's hardware upon contact. Do what I did: sell the laptop "as is" on ebay and put that money towards a new one.

How much vomit are we talking? And how quickly did you try to clean it? Also, did yours never power on again?

Mr. Dylanja
03-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I don't drink. People were tempting me, but meh.

FML

chiapet
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
turning it on while there was still liquid in it was a very bad idea.

This. You know, for next time. Keyboards actually survive a variety of ... fluids, provided you don't power them up. Clean them up, maybe clean the non-electronic services with rubbing alcohol, then let it dry completely. Still, vomit, with stomach acids and probably sugars, bad news.

"Someone" (NOT ME) used to spill tequila on my laptop, repeatedly, and blame it on me for leaving my laptop on the floor near our couch. Not within the path of anyone walking. As if it was more my fault for having my laptop on the floor than "someone's" fault for spilling drinks repeatedly.

And I don't call bullshit on the scenario only because I've had people puke on my TV, on my bookshelf, on my CD rack, all looking for "somewhere" or "something" to puke on. Vomiting is not rational thought time.

Mr. Dylanja
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
You added "CD" in there on purpose, didn't you?

chiapet
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think anyone has ever puked on my rack, if that's what you're implying.

obzen
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Snap.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
That made me lol.

Mr. Dylanja
03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm honestly surprised, I thought Chia has seen it all.

chiapet
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Not on my chest. That would be almost as bad as someone puking on your face.

Mr. Dylanja
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I've had that happen.

amyzzz
well, on any body part.

gaypalmsprings
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/FailVomit.jpg

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I've had that happen.
You're not making a very good case, are you?

marooko
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Especially on a rack like that. just rude. ;)

obzen
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/FailVomit.jpg

This picture reminds me of The Beastie Boys.

Mr. Dylanja
You're not making a very good case, are you?

It was a baby. This thread is about drinking, anywayz, you don't belong.

amyzzz
Babies do NOT COUNT here.

chiapet
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Infants don't count. Regurgitated milk really isn't that bad. Probably almost every female teens or older has had a baby spit up on her (whether her own kid or babysitting). Probably most guys too.

We're talking food chunks and all ^^^ see picture above.

And Amy, amazingly vomit on other parts of your body is not THAT awful. I have been puked on a lot, but never in the face or chest. Man that would be nasty.

marooko
03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Holy fuck Chia, what kind of stuff are you in to?

chiapet
03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
It's not like that. It's from hanging out with people who drink heavily and use specific types of drugs. Vomit time. Though I have thrown up on myself many times. Never on my laptop though.

marooko
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
I think I've only thrown up on myself like 2-3 times. And it was more like I got some on me than chucked some up on myself.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 04:13 PM
you don't belong.
story of my life.

marooko
03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.jazz-styles.com/htm/scores/CRY-ME-A-RIVER.gif

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
PICS:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4458013539_c84d169935.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/4458006435_3fd54dc08b.jpg

marooko
03-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Kick your brother in the nuts for me, then for you and lastly, for your roommate. :).

But this doesn't prove anything. lol.

crazzz2007
03-23-2010, 04:23 PM
PICS:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4458013539_c84d169935.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/4458006435_3fd54dc08b.jpg

how do we know you didn't get these off Google Pics?

please find your brother, get him to re-enact the incident, and then post a pic with fresh puke with gorbachev on top of the puke. then we'll believe you.

ZackQ
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I really wish you guys could smell it. A). Because it would prove that I'm telling the truth and B). It would punish your lack of trust in your message board buddies.

marooko
03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Das what I'm talkin' bout.

I'll believe you because it's page four and you're still carrying on about it. It's not that funny a joke to let it go this long, if it were.

crazzz2007
03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I really wish you guys could smell it. A). Because it would prove that I'm telling the truth and B). It would punish your lack of trust in your message board buddies.

look, in all honesty we believe you. it's just that want to see a picture of a laptop with puke all over it.

gaypalmsprings
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/DJLeroypapichulo69/vomit.jpg

marooko
03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
No laptop. Didn't happen.

bballarl
03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Send me a new laptop or none of this happened.

1litro
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
My little brother puked onto his laptop after a week at burning man, he bought a new one

chiapet
03-23-2010, 06:36 PM
There is an awful lot of this on the internet, and the consensus seems to be, if you think it's destroyed anyway, take it completely apart, clean with rubbing alcohol or circuit board cleaner and let it dry completely before reassembling.

Amazingly there do not seem to be puke + laptop pictures on the internet. maybe everyone is rushing to clean off the puke rather than snapping pictures.

ZackQ
03-24-2010, 07:14 AM
There is an awful lot of this on the internet, and the consensus seems to be, if you think it's destroyed anyway, take it completely apart, clean with rubbing alcohol or circuit board cleaner and let it dry completely before reassembling.

Amazingly there do not seem to be puke + laptop pictures on the internet. maybe everyone is rushing to clean off the puke rather than snapping pictures.

After it happens, you instantly yell "NOOOOOO" then you do whatever you can to clean it up as fast as you can.

CellarOwl
03-24-2010, 08:04 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p159/Mgoderre/Noooooo.jpg

Leeartlee
03-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Alcohol does wonderful things for us